Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,182 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Welcome To My Office - Career (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (146982 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by Cristalz(f): 1:31am On Sep 03, 2012
Plus, thanks to everyone that has contributed in here.
Great stories! Keep 'em coming...
Re: Welcome To My Office by XtremeBase(f): 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2012
I would welcome you guys to my office as soon as i am through putting everything together.
Former business development manager at a technology/fabricating firm.
Former project manager at a site on a project by the Lagos state government and a chinese firm in partnership with my firm, a pelletising and recycling plant.
About to be a fashion entrepreneur and business woman after four years of 9-5 more like 9-7 and work sometimes during the weekend and pub holidays, phew. Uncertain of the future now but sure of success. But i'm not looking back.

Today @ work place: This electrician isn't serious! Imagine wasting my time and keeping me waiting. Anyways he finally came and got the light fixed in this place. Heading back home, not much to do today.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2012
Ok guys, i think a new career era is about to open for me and i am excited about it.
If you look back through my post, or followed through my comments on this topic, you should be able to place where i am coming from.
But for those who don't know, i will do a little chronicle and then allow it dovetail into the current situation.

I graduated in 2006 and finished NYSC at the foremost Newspaper house in Nigeria; 2007.
Almost immediately, i went to work for the Nigerian based alumni association of the most prestigious Business School in the World. wink
I spent 3 years with them. When i felt chances where passing me by in other sectors, the need to upgrade academically set in.
I left in 2010 to do an M.Sc in Media and Communication with a bias for Marketing Communication at the best PG university in Nigeria wink
Yes best!! Is it not. . . . cues but we should be able to place it right? wink grin

Anyway, fast forward a year later, September 2011 and i was done with my thesis and defended as well
and back i went into the job market, while waiting for the graduation ceremony. I knew it won't be easy but i didn't expect it to be as hard as it became.
I did a couple of consultancies for A media group and the owners of the popular Youths Award brand. I also worked briefly with them in helping with publicity for the launch of a popular satellite music TV channel in Nigeria as well as publicity for a reality TV show.

Well, i had to leave them December last year when i got an adhoc job with a multinational consulting firm.
It was meant to dovetail into a permanent job in a research and market intelligence role since i wrote a test and went through the interview processes.
Well, long story short, after documentation and filing, including continuous submission of my research reports, i was asked to start February 1st but lo, story enter oh
One British Oga, as dem talk, withdrew my offer and they won't be going ahead with recruiting me any more. Devastated? More than. . . but i had to move on.

Little businesses here and there as well a small offer from a relatives agency kept me going while my business proposal was in the works
as well as applications. I also lost another offer with a digital marketing company and turned down 2 offers since it didn't meet my career objectives and target as well.

It all looked like good things were not meant for me until last week, God popped up and said it's my time.
I did a CV broadcast to my 'friend' at the alumni association i worked as well as contacts i met from other companies i worked with during my time there.
Well, one better, past Oga of one of Nigeria's big banks got in touch on Saturday night and asked to see me the following day at his office.
We had a chat (over 2hrs of interview) on Sunday. . . . .i was invited to come and work with him. . . . i picked my offer letter last night and i am going to be working on a brand management role.
What i have always wanted and what i concentrated on in my M.Sc!!

I am really looking forward to the job. The office ambiance, relationship between staff and the whole set-up is just awesome.
I hope the external looks are or can be equated to the internal issues.
I resume Oct. 2nd. . . . . . more gist by then and maybe will answer questions!!
grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by uceee(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2012
^^^Congrats man. Persistence pays well.
Re: Welcome To My Office by XtremeBase(f): 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
Emperoh: Ok guys, i think a new career era is about to open for me and i am excited about it.
If you look back through my post, or followed through my comments on this topic, you should be able to place where i am coming from.
But for those who don't know, i will do a little chronicle and then allow it dovetail into the current situation.

I graduated in 2006 and finished NYSC at the foremost Newspaper house in Nigeria; 2007.
Almost immediately, i went to work for the Nigerian based alumni association of the most prestigious Business School in the World. wink
I spent 3 years with them. When i felt chances where passing me by in other sectors, the need to upgrade academically set in.
I left in 2010 to do an M.Sc in Media and Communication with a bias for Marketing Communication at the best PG university in Nigeria wink
Yes best!! Is it not. . . . cues but we should be able to place it right? wink grin

Anyway, fast forward a year later, September 2011 and i was done with my thesis and defended as well
and back i went into the job market, while waiting for the graduation ceremony. I knew it won't be easy but i didn't expect it to be as hard as it became.
I did a couple of consultancies for A media group and the owners of the popular Youths Award brand. I also worked briefly with them in helping with publicity for the launch of a popular satellite music TV channel in Nigeria as well as publicity for a reality TV show.

Well, i had to leave them December last year when i got an adhoc job with a multinational consulting firm.
It was meant to dovetail into a permanent job in a research and market intelligence role since i wrote a test and went through the interview processes.
Well, long story short, after documentation and filing, including continuous submission of my research reports, i was asked to start February 1st but lo, story enter oh
One British Oga, as dem talk, withdrew my offer and they won't be going ahead with recruiting me any more. Devastated? More than. . . but i had to move on.

Little businesses here and there as well a small offer from a relatives agency kept me going while my business proposal was in the works
as well as applications. I also lost another offer with a digital marketing company and turned down 2 offers since it didn't meet my career objectives and target as well.

It all looked like good things were not meant for me until last week, God popped up and said it's my time.
I did a CV broadcast to my 'friend' at the alumni association i worked as well as contacts i met from other companies i worked with during my time there.
Well, one better, past Oga of one of Nigeria's big banks got in touch on Saturday night and asked to see me the following day at his office.
We had a chat (over 2hrs of interview) on Sunday. . . . .i was invited to come and work with him. . . . i picked my offer letter last night and i am going to be working on a brand management role.

I am really looking forward to the job. The office ambiance, relationship between staff and the whole set-up is just awesome.
I resume Oct. 2nd. . . . . . more gist by then and maybe will answer questions!!
grin grin cheesy

This is such a lovely story, we thank God.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
Emperoh: Ok guys, i think a new career era is about to open for me and i am excited about it.

grin grin cheesy

Congrats man. . .hope you enjoy your new office.

Dont forget to 'welcome' us o. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 9:59am On Sep 13, 2012
netotse:

Congrats man. . .hope you enjoy your new office.

Dont forget to 'welcome' us o. . .

You bet i will do 'welcome ceremony' wink
I am already looking forward to it. The portfolio under me is quite large and i have already started drawing up
a road map/work plan for a seamless process.
Re: Welcome To My Office by stryda(m): 8:46am On Oct 05, 2012
Hi. My name is samuel. And I am into ICt awareness and empowerment. My company writes blog posts to create awareness for the general public, how to fix some problems most people have. If ur system is slow, or your blackberry is hanging. Check this out, it might just save you from overspending to fix a problem u cud ve done on your own. http://blog.quadclover.com
Re: Welcome To My Office by Obinoscopy(m): 9:17am On Oct 06, 2012
I'm a pharmacist. I'm with a government agency. Its not like the conventional govt agencies. My work is challenging, interesting and daring. However I'm contemplating leaving it for an NGO soon. I've got a masters degree and will soon commence my PhD insha Allah.
Re: Welcome To My Office by XtremeBase(f): 12:28pm On Oct 06, 2012
Work's been hectic, some challenges, but i have overcome them, i am pleased with my tailors and i am glad for my flexibility with time, its the best thing ever.

At ENITAN XANIA your days of dissappointment(s) with tailors are over. Your satisfaction is our priority.
Come in, get your measurement taken, let me
know what style you have in mind. If you want to stand out, i'll sketch an outfit for you, if you like it, we proceed to making you that beautiful outfit. Do call
+2348125202949(whatsapp and calls) +2347035846490, enitanxania@gmail.com.
Re: Welcome To My Office by LilMizHottie: 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2012
Hello house, I won't b able 2 write my workplace experience at dis time as I am awaiting my offer letter,bt am hopin 2 stat soonest. I recently got interviewed with a prestigious oil servicing firm, bin called 2 go 4 medicals n am hopin 2 resume duty come November, God willing. Nways while am waitin lemme introduce myself 2 d house, I am a graduate, with an honour in Business Managemnt, I recently,got certified as a project Manger, and I also hav a Law degree in-view. So I can pratically say that 4 nw, my day- day activities is still smooth. I honestly hope I will b able 2 balance and manage d demands of work and d stress of skool, wen I start wrk.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by stryda(m): 10:09am On Oct 09, 2012
I am a computer scientist and I am amazed at the way people underate the microsoft office. If typing a document was all you could really do with Microsoft Word, wud Bill Gates b so rich today? :]Y . NO. wink Learn more here http:///bxt2zZRn or http://blog.quadclover.com
Re: Welcome To My Office by samsoft(m): 6:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
wonderful forum... good to be here
Re: Welcome To My Office by blood1(f): 2:21pm On Oct 27, 2012
Hello folks!
This is an old thread, but I still find it interesting enough to want to share my own experience.
In all my years of work experience, I had never been as frustrated as I was on Wednesday, the last working day of this week. The previous day, our main generator which was just serviced the previous weekend blew, we contacted the vendor and the unit in charge, then, fixed the backup generator which is smaller and continued our work. Even though it was tripping off and on, we were able to conclude our transactions for the day. Then came Wednesday! Before 6 am, I had been notified that three of my tellers who were pregnant had been hospitalized, two for threatened miscarriages! On my way to the office, I got a call, another of my tellers, rushing her baby who had a domestic accident to the hospital, a FMC, and of course, that’s a whole day’s business! Already, one of my tellers was on vacation, the person I back up who also backs me up was on vacation and one other teller already had my permission to be absent due to a personal emergency. I was down by seven staff and by the time we opened our doors by 8am, I had just one paying teller and one receiving teller.
My branch is the busiest branch in the state due to location, therefore, crowd is standard, even with full complement of staff, so you can imagine the kind of crowd we had on this day, in view of the long holidays. We were managing nicely, even though customers were harassing us, because they are not used to that kind of arrangement.
Then! Around 12.30 am, my problems began. First, the small generator which we were using tripped off. no PHCN light, no generator! We quickly got the local vendor, he came fixed the generator, the moment we put it on, all the bulbs in the branch blew! Our UPS, photocopying machines, printers and four ACs blew! You need to have seen customers’ reactions and yet, they refused to go to our sister branches. Some even called head office customer care; trust them to go ballistic on customer disservice! We got bulbs immediately and when phcn gave light, we plugged direct and continued but the light kept going at 2 minutes intervals.
As that was not enough, I got low cash level alerts from three of my ATMs almost at the same time. And these were ATMs I loaded the previous day and I didn’t even have mint notes or sorted cash to load them, I no even answer them!
I had unimaginable pressures from left, right and centre. All sorts of calls from top management, and my supervisors and oh! God! Customers nearly killed me. I was mandated to go and hire a generator; I did, but guess what? The moment we changed over to the hired generator, and put on our systems, the four systems in use blew up! That was the climax. I got my team to balance manually, and we all went home terribly disgruntled. It was later in the night that I realized I hadn’t even taken as little as a drop of water all day.
All I’ve done these holidays and weekend so far is visit my ailing staff and work with all sorts of people to fix up my branch, sort cash and load my ATMs. What a way to spend such a long weekend!

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by nitrogen(m): 10:40am On Nov 03, 2012
ßløøð: Hello folks!
This is an old thread, but I still find it interesting enough to want to share my own experience.
In all my years of work experience, I had never been as frustrated as I was on Wednesday, the last working day of this week. The previous day, our main generator which was just serviced the previous weekend blew, we contacted the vendor and the unit in charge, then, fixed the backup generator which is smaller and continued our work. Even though it was tripping off and on, we were able to conclude our transactions for the day. Then came Wednesday! Before 6 am, I had been notified that three of my tellers who were pregnant had been hospitalized, two for threatened miscarriages! On my way to the office, I got a call, another of my tellers, rushing her baby who had a domestic accident to the hospital, a FMC, and of course, that’s a whole day’s business! Already, one of my tellers was on vacation, the person I back up who also backs me up was on vacation and one other teller already had my permission to be absent due to a personal emergency. I was down by seven staff and by the time we opened our doors by 8am, I had just one paying teller and one receiving teller.
My branch is the busiest branch in the state due to location, therefore, crowd is standard, even with full complement of staff, so you can imagine the kind of crowd we had on this day, in view of the long holidays. We were managing nicely, even though customers were harassing us, because they are not used to that kind of arrangement.
Then! Around 12.30 am, my problems began. First, the small generator which we were using tripped off. no PHCN light, no generator! We quickly got the local vendor, he came fixed the generator, the moment we put it on, all the bulbs in the branch blew! Our UPS, photocopying machines, printers and four ACs blew! You need to have seen customers’ reactions and yet, they refused to go to our sister branches. Some even called head office customer care; trust them to go ballistic on customer disservice! We got bulbs immediately and when phcn gave light, we plugged direct and continued but the light kept going at 2 minutes intervals.
As that was not enough, I got low cash level alerts from three of my ATMs almost at the same time. And these were ATMs I loaded the previous day and I didn’t even have mint notes or sorted cash to load them, I no even answer them!
I had unimaginable pressures from left, right and centre. All sorts of calls from top management, and my supervisors and oh! God! Customers nearly killed me. I was mandated to go and hire a generator; I did, but guess what? The moment we changed over to the hired generator, and put on our systems, the four systems in use blew up! That was the climax. I got my team to balance manually, and we all went home terribly disgruntled. It was later in the night that I realized I hadn’t even taken as little as a drop of water all day.
All I’ve done these holidays and weekend so far is visit my ailing staff and work with all sorts of people to fix up my branch, sort cash and load my ATMs. What a way to spend such a long weekend!
, that day was really tight for you oooooo.
Re: Welcome To My Office by blood1(f): 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2012
nitrogen: , that day was really tight for you oooooo.

You can say that again Sir...
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 09, 2012
This thread and entire section is so quiet.
Re: Welcome To My Office by funkymedina: 4:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
Enjoyed reading all these. My office is in the cloud so not much stories to tell am afraid
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
Got my confirmation letter couple of weeks back, having clocked 6 months here. Got quite an impressive rating by my boss, even more than I rated myself.

Our oga patapata from London also came to town last week and it was an interesting experience working directly with him for three days. Tight 3 days though, all day meetings, culminating in an evening out at a high-end spots on the Island till late in the night, discussing informal things, while emptying servings of a potpourri of seafoods.

Expectedly, my deliverables in the next 1 month swell up fall-out of the action points from the serial meetings. Now,my scheduled leave is under jeopardy.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by chamber2(m): 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
It's been a very busy 6 months for me, having moved into another industry after my postgrad. The training i am currently undergoing in the new office is quite strenuous but invaluable. Hoping to round-off soon and get my normal life rolling once again. I hardly make post nowadays and my social life has been drastically reduced.

It's refreshing to be part of this thread being a one time standby onlooker. grin

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2012
I was wondering where you'd been. I even saw one chamber10 and thought that was your new ID.

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.