Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Welcome To My Office - Career (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147364 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
I am going through the crucible. Get burned or get tempered time. No one said mgt would be like this
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
oyb: I am going through the crucible. Get burned or get tempered time. No one said mgt would be like this

Hehehe. Now on the dark side abi. grin
Trust you're learning how to lie to everyone with a straight face now cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2013
oyb: I am going through the crucible. Get burned or get tempered time. No one said mgt would be like this

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 3:45am On May 01, 2013
I salute everyone who has in one way or the other contributed to this thread since inception. The little posts have read so far are nt only motivating but also hilarious. I am glad I found this conglomerate of professionals&intellectuals.
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 11:26pm On May 05, 2013
I've been on awol from this thread. So far, I mostly look @NL homepage and move on.
Good to see everybody is still pounding the beats.
Welcome 2d new kids on the block too.
@Ajanlekoko. What's up with the hidden posts in the office floor, Looks strange here.
@Blood. The roaster for 'dat thing' must be impartial o. No extra for madam. Lol. Hope you also got the promotion to boot
@Oyb. Congrats on the move into mgt. The extra pepper will take care of the stress. You'll get used to it, once your team bonds you'll start flying
@Emperoh. Quite an experience you narrated here. Such is the nature of one-man-plc business. So what happens to your car business as you leave Eko for Abj?
@My Office.
We've been on a money Sharing jamboree of late. The Ogas @d top saw that our last year hustles paid big time so they decided to rain on us.
I got a product launch in some Campuses coming up. Gearing up for the beats.
Erm... @Netotse and @Jarus una well done o.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 8:22am On May 06, 2013
cecegorz: I've been on awol from this thread. So far, I mostly look @NL homepage and move on.
@Ajanlekoko. What's up with the hidden posts in the office floor, Looks strange here.
@Blood. The roaster for 'dat thing' must be impartial o. No extra for madam. Lol. Hope you also got the promotion to boot
@Oyb. Congrats on the move into mgt. The extra pepper will take care of the stress. You'll get used to it, once your team bonds you'll start flying
@Emperoh. Quite an experience you narrated here. Such is the nature of one-man-plc business. So what happens to your car business as you leave Eko for Abj?
@My Office.
We've been on a money Sharing jamboree of late. The Ogas @d top saw that our last year hustles paid big time so they decided to rain on us.

Omo, it hasn't been easy oo. Cos na the pepper from that runs dey sustain me when shishi no show for man pocket.
But i am trying to scale down on the on ground sales while upping the pre-order thing. With it that way, i can easily do it from any location as long as i have internet access.

But in case you want something from us, hail me oo. At lease if i do referral, i go get commission grin cheesy wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:33am On May 06, 2013
Good to hear from you again, Cecegorz.

A job grading and restructuring exercise took place here, and, fortunately, I turned out to be one of the biggest gainers - my job was graded higher, and that resulted in 50% payrise.

It's one year now that I moved here and it was a great decision for me. I've learnt much more in my specialization in the last one year and what I just realized you think you know everything until you move to another place. The challenges are more, and every challenge assailed, one gets better for it.
Re: Welcome To My Office by ozoemeka(m): 4:41pm On May 07, 2013
Cristalz: Dang, this place is so serious and ''focused'' grin Not a bad thing of course, but I think we should have a chill zone where you can kick back,relax and talk about how your day went at work.

Seriously,how many workers here have people they return home to at the end of the day that sincerely ask ''how was work today''?

So in this zone,you can come in, tell us your career field, your job designation if you like (not compulsory), and then you share how work went.

How did your boss totally piss you off? What blunder did you make? What great feat did you accomplish? What project are you working on and how is it going? What things hinder your progress in your field/at your office? Customer pressure (Bankers, Telecomm peeps, etc) ? Funny events that took place at the office?

Come here and share all. And let others benefit from your experiences, and offer you some good advice too. You never know, you just might get that idea you've been searching for in here.  .  .and definitely you will be able to de-stress here grin If your story is one you would rather start an independent thread on, even better.

This could work if every worker makes some sensible contribution.  .  .I can't make it fly by myself grin. So let's share.

*Hols are coming up yeah, but work will still go on*

You're bashing your office, wait till your boss comes in here and reads this
Re: Welcome To My Office by yemee: 1:55pm On May 08, 2013
Stumbled upon this thread today and it's certainly one of the most enlightening and inspiring threads on Nairaland...looking to learn from the bosses: @jarus,@AjanleKoko,@oyb,@Emperoh and all others.
Re: Welcome To My Office by blood1(f): 4:21pm On May 08, 2013
cecegorz: I've been on awol from this thread. So far, I mostly look @NL homepage and move on.
@My Office.
@Cece.... Madam suppose get lion share naaa. are you a learner *winks*... Nice meeting you buddy.. Promotion still in the air, appraisal is ongoing at the moment... keeping my fingers crossed and praying..
@my office... a little sad.. I just got transfered to another branch.. missing my great team already... I'm going to have to start knocking people into shape all over again... but I'm going to have my weekends free now to concentrate on other things... still sad tho'.. my present team is the 'bestest' around jare!
Re: Welcome To My Office by kaboninc(m): 7:33pm On May 09, 2013
@emperor. I feel you on your adversaries. Yes I'll call it an adversary because there'll always be morning! I had this issue of integrity when I started my IT some years back. During my interview I categorically told the interviewer that I'll be staying for 3 months due to school resumption date. But after I was given the job, another staff, senior to the interviewer who would have conducted the interview but wasn't around, became rude, aggressive and sent me out without hearing my own side. It was by God's grace that someone at a high hierarchy got wind of this and ordered a full investigation. That was how I was recalled. If not, it would have been an integrity issue on my part and painting me in bad light for what I've struggled to build over the years.

One thing I know for sure is that if a door closes for you, and someone is responsible, so long God's on your side, it will either re open or force another to open.
Re: Welcome To My Office by mediainspired: 3:55pm On May 14, 2013
Hi Guys/ladies,

I need some graduate, quality, skilled, experienced but young hands for the following positions in a fresh-mint, trendy and upscale lifestyle magazine set to shoot to the top of the market. If you fit in or know someone who does, please let them send me AN APPLICATION LETTER AND ATTACH THEIR CURRENT CV asap at: mediainspiredng@gmail.com. THANKS.

1. Staff Writers: Preferably graduates in arts or social sciences, especially in mass communication or English. Candidates must have a flair for intelligent but fluid writing, and have a love for news reporting and researching.
2. Marketer: Certificate qualification same as above. Marketing experience in a media organisation (magazine, newspaper, media agency etc) will be an advantage.
3. Creative Graphic Artist: You must be a graphic design wizard able to conceptualize and create attention-grabbing cover designs, page layouts, logos and other concepts with relative ease. Candidates for this post must be experts in the use of the latest graphic design packages like CS5, CS6, Corel Draw, Quark Express, Photoshop, Picture Manager etc.
4. Lady Photojournalist/Photographer: Skilled in modern, candid, expressive and cutting edge photography
Re: Welcome To My Office by teexzle: 4:58pm On May 22, 2013
Hey wat was ur undergrad degree
Jarus:

The latter just clicked yesterday and I have accepted it. My dream of crossing from downstream to upstream eventually materialized. Alhamdulilah

So from May 1, I will be welcoming you guys to a new office. Lol

I will be tendering my resignation in my current office this morning, effective end-April. I have already composed a powerful farewell message to my colleagues.

I couldn't get the 4m on top of my current pay as I asked from the new company but the negotiation yielded 2.5m addition. So I consider it a fair deal but upstream coys have more perks.

It's been a long journey especially when I remember missing Shell offer by whisker at the start of my career in 2008. It's a long walk to dream!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 5:42pm On May 22, 2013
teexzle: Hey wat was ur undergrad degree

Economics
Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 6:32pm On May 22, 2013
Just to get discussion goings,

I just got an email now for an interview with a UNDP office in Abuja and to be frank, i am tempted to go.
I think this was one of the applications i did and forgot about while i was seriously searching.
The role is practically for the same thing i am doing now, but i am being tempted by the effect UNDP will have on my CV at some point in my career.

But where i am currently is just as good and i am just about into my 4th month on the job which is why it sounds crazy to me. I do get bored easily if work stream remains the same. This job has not shown that since i try to engage with depts outside my principal duty when i am less busy. Also, this one is not as hectic as i initially envisaged. But in all, i do love to stay here and get some mileage; at least 3 years though everyone works on a 3 year renewable contract.

Now, my question is this, how do your guys see such a short timed movement given that i just resumed here in February? I am more concerned about the reputation damage that could come with it if it doesn't go down well with my employers and also the fact that i like the team as it is now.

Also, who's done this before and how did it go? Let the talks and ideas flow in.

Will appreciate the input of Ajanlekoko, Cece, Suraj etc.
Re: Welcome To My Office by teexzle: 9:21pm On May 22, 2013
Ok thanks..pls can I have ur mail I have few ?s to ask, I also have an eco background
Jarus:

Economics
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:45am On May 23, 2013
teexzle: Ok thanks..pls can I have ur mail I have few ?s to ask, I also have an eco background

Check out my blog (www.jarushub.com) and get my email address from the 'Contact' page
Re: Welcome To My Office by Emperoh(m): 6:50pm On May 23, 2013
No one is paying attention to my post above?
Wetin nah? na so una busy reach? angry
grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 7:33pm On May 24, 2013
Emperoh: No one is paying attention to my post above?
Wetin nah? na so una busy reach? angry
grin grin

Apologies, didn't really see this in good time.
I'm not sure I am qualified to comment, as I don't really know much about career prospects with these global nonprofit agencies. It all depends on what you want to achieve.

If the UNDP job is something that's permanent or a long-term contract, I suggest you go for it. It doesn't really matter if you leave your current job after four months. These days, job mobility is even seen as an asset by some employers. If you're not good, you wouldn't be getting offers.

My advice to younger people these days is not to seek stability, but challenges. Keep looking for opportunities for exposure, for different experiences. The career trajectory will be a lot shorter in the coming years.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:02pm On May 24, 2013
Emperoh: Just to get discussion goings,

I just got an email now for an interview with a UNDP office in Abuja and to be frank, i am tempted to go.
I think this was one of the applications i did and forgot about while i was seriously searching.
The role is practically for the same thing i am doing now, but i am being tempted by the effect UNDP will have on my CV at some point in my career.

But where i am currently is just as good and i am just about into my 4th month on the job which is why it sounds crazy to me. I do get bored easily if work stream remains the same. This job has not shown that since i try to engage with depts outside my principal duty when i am less busy. Also, this one is not as hectic as i initially envisaged. But in all, i do love to stay here and get some mileage; at least 3 years though everyone works on a 3 year renewable contract.

Now, my question is this, how do your guys see such a short timed movement given that i just resumed here in February? I am more concerned about the reputation damage that could come with it if it doesn't go down well with my employers and also the fact that i like the team as it is now.

Also, who's done this before and how did it go? Let the talks and ideas flow in.

Will appreciate the input of Ajanlekoko, Cece, Suraj etc.

Attend the interview and see the outcome. UNDP, no doubt, is a boost on your CV, being an international organization.

No big deal in moving within 3 months of joining a company. No be your papa get the company. Even here, one of our oyinbo ogas left within 3 months (probably got a better offer).

But look well too, especially on job security. Is the UNDP contract not a short-term contract one as most of those jobs are? Compare with job security in your current place too.

In any case, still go ahead with the UNDP interview, doesn't stop you from rejecting the offer if you get it and is not better than your current.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 5:19pm On May 25, 2013
Oops i dont know if my post will appear twice

@jarus
Congrats bro..continue doing well...i need to get your email..can you send to emperoh..hes on my BB...i tried getting a number from Odunnu but it isnt correct...i need to place some ads on NL and i dont know who to hold

Thanks bro

@topic
Back to the country...entrepreneur 100%

Ko easy thats all ill say but its probably cos its the formative stages...so its aii

Datisall...to the other goons...
Keep it real and stay blessed

Cheers
Re: Welcome To My Office by kennyy123: 9:48am On May 26, 2013
Pls wat do u guys tink about NIM or CIBN ,which s more beta n more popular wit respect, am about doin one of dem now, I ned som1 inhouse 2 help me wit d beta one in both. pls reply !!!!!

@tkb417 pls i have read many of your post as a financial expect and am quite impressed even before you quit the sector..pls i am a young graduate of banking and finance and i need our advice, on the course too do apart from CFA too make me stand out in my career..pls reply..
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 7:02am On May 28, 2013
Hi Kenny

If you dont want to study for CFA then you should consider ACCA or ICAN...Here in Nigeria, those qualifications ensure people see you as a professional in finance...

Study for one of those exams over 3-4 years...Work wherever you find yourself...(do not mind the money for a start..i started with 72k in consulting)...build confidence...look for the plum jobs....i always tell people to never be comfy at a particular place except probably you have found yourself in places like Mobil/Shell...

In 5 years, you should be fine...barring any unforseen spiritual or political wahala...loool

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 7:04am On May 28, 2013
Hi Jarus

I can see i have some PMs (in red) in my profile but they are not in my email...i checked spam and everything.

Ki lo de?

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.