Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,405 members, 7,819,435 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34914 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Chilug(m): 9:35pm On Mar 14, 2015
firstEVA:
you are not only unenlightened but very ignorant, how many geopolitical zones do we have in Nigeria? Can you pls name them if you aren't unenlightened?
U ve said it all, geopolitcal and not geographical, I doubt that word geopolitical even exist. Bt u knw our leaders bin selfish and coining names since d tym of lord lugard.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
lowgeorge:
In 1 word ibo parasites are bastard son of luciferic Jews on a fucking Yoloba site.... They sha wan claim south south oil and the pple therein as their appendages... Dirty grasshoppers..... I pray dis fucking land divide and burn for all to go in pieces but not with peace....vermins
Another yaba left escapee! undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ribbit: 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
Same reason why people think Hausa and fulani are the same I guess

4 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
Chilug:

U ve said it all, geopolitcal and not geographical, I doubt that word geopolitical even exist. Bt u knw our leaders bin selfish and coining names since d tym of lord lugard.
Smh...! Google is your friend and you can use it to look up the meaning of geopolitical. angry

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Abdulleeh: 9:40pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

Thanks for the question Madam OP
The reason is because there's no 'north north, west west'. So to allow for every satellite or gps to recognize south south, we use 'east'.

Thank you Ma

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 9:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
Another geographical anomaly is BENUE state as the state which is squarely situated in the East of Nigeria, but with some colonial arrangement found herself politically in the North. So many examples.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by genxris: 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
South south is a dubious geographical description manufactured in Nigeria by those who felt threatend that if states in that region is not divided from their brothers in the Igbo region would mean disaster for the animal kingdom called Nigeria . Therefore they (Hausa & Yoruba) came up with the seven region experiment and even went further to create another one called Niger Delta area. No other place in the world will you see such dubious names.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Mbediogu(m): 9:44pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

One is geo- cultural, the other geo-political. Both are correct.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 9:44pm On Mar 14, 2015
Read carefully...

Talking purely from a geographical point of view, Some parts of the SS are actually South Western (Edo, Delta, Bayelsa), while the other three are South Eastern (Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom)
But since SW and SE are already associated strongly with yorubas and igbos respectively, it became "imperative" to coin out a name to represent the southern minorities and their zone, into a geopolitical region that is neither yoruba nor igbo in nature.
If you all remember well, the SS states of Edo, Delta were once in the Yoruba dominated Western region, while others like Akwa Ibom and Cross river, were once in the Igbo dominated Eastern region---- the Niger Delta people wanted none of that anymore, and wanted to assert their own independence, so they all coalesced into a separate southern region.
In the correct terms, the South West is properly termed, but the so called "South East" of today, should actually be East Central, and the so called "south-south" should be just South.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 9:45pm On Mar 14, 2015
udeh3:

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos. The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are not ibos!

I remember tye first time I came to the West, anybody that refers to me uses the word 'omo ibo ni'. It takes some level of explanation to actually let them know that I'm not an Ibo person that I'm from the south-south
enyi its not ibo but Igbo!
whether rivers is 100% Igbo or 50% Igbo that's not my biz..when the time comes, RS would vomit the parts of Igbo land she stole..even up to opobo as not one piece would be left behind. for now, enjoy what you stole from Igbo land smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jkross(m): 9:46pm On Mar 14, 2015
south south geo-political zone...thats for political and economic purposes....
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 9:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
genxris:
South south is a dubious geographical description manufactured in Nigeria by those who felt threatend that if states in that region is not divided from their brothers in the Igbo region would mean disaster for the animal kingdom called Nigeria . Therefore they (Hausa & Yoruba) came up with the seven region experiment and even went further to create another one called Niger Delta area. No other place in the world will you see such dubious names.

Rubbish...
Look at your map carefully, does Benin or Warri or Yenagoa look 'Eastern to you"... It is the South East that is carrying the wrong moniker. Before it used to be "East Central region", composed of the old Anambra and Imo states.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 9:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
lowgeorge:
In 1 word ibo parasites are bastard son of luciferic Jews on a fucking Yoloba site.... They sha wan claim south south oil and the pple therein as their appendages... Dirty grasshoppers..... I pray dis fucking land divide and burn for all to go in pieces but not with peace....vermins
ofe'mmanu escapee of yabaleft! angry

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jkross(m): 9:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
cheruv:

enyi its not ibo but Igbo!
whether rivers is 100% Igbo or 50% Igbo that's not my biz..when the time comes, RS would vomit the parts of Igbo land she stole..even up to opobo as not one piece would be left behind. for now, enjoy what you stole from Igbo land smiley
b

nwanne opobo was never and has never been igbo land..trade and slave trade took the language there

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 9:51pm On Mar 14, 2015
scholes0:

Rubbish...
Look at your map carefully, does Benin or Warri or Yenagoa look 'Eastern to you"... It is the South East that is carrying the wrong moniker. Before it used to be "East Central state", composed of the old Anambra and Imo states.
you're right brother...
the new East central state would be comprised of the old Anambra & Imo states and the new Anioma state.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by charlsecy(m): 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
Northern Nigeria and Southern Nigeria are regions, while the others such as North-central, South-east, and the likes are sub-regions or geopolitical zones.

Nigeria has two regions, and within these regions are six sub-regions. It is important you don't mistake a sub-region for a region. For example, a person from Anambra and a person from Lagos are both Southerners at the regional level, but at the sub-regional level, the Anambrarian is a South-easterner (NOT easterner), while the Lagosian is a South-westerner (NOT westerner). When you say, for instance, that an Anambra person is an easterner, you are assuming Northern Nigeria away. A person from Rivers is a South-southerner.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
iconize:

The babe is high on ogogoro.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2015
Abagworo:
If you take a look at this map you will notice the area I marked
with red line covering Akwa Ibom and Cross River States. That
area is geographicaly Southeast. Igboland could either be East
central or South central as against wrongly termed Southeast.
Niger Delta consists mainly Rivers,Bayelsa and Delta States with
small fractions of Imo and Abia States. South-South is a wrong
coinage for Southern minorities or more precisely parts of the
South outside Igbo and Yoruba area.
So in essence none of the terms used represents reality.

You're wrong! Before the oil politics began in Nigeria, early geographers accurately identified Igboland as Eastern which it actually lies in, and extended southerly and centrally. As Afikpo is much easterly just as Obuaku is very much southerly.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by emmatok(m): 9:55pm On Mar 14, 2015
scholes0:
Read carefully...

Talking purely from a geographical point of view, Some parts of the SS are actually South Western (Edo, Delta, Bayelsa), while the other three are South Eastern (Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom)
But since SW and SE are already associated strongly with yorubas and igbos respectively, it became "imperative" to coin out a name to represent the southern minorities and their zone, into a geopolitical region that is neither yoruba nor igbo in nature.
If you all remember well, the SS states of Edo, Delta were once in the Yoruba dominated Western region, while others like Akwa Ibom and Cross river, were once in the Igbo dominated Eastern region---- the Niger Delta people wanted none of that anymore, and wanted to assert their own independence, so they all coalesced into a separate southern region.
In the correct terms, the South West is properly termed, but the so called "South East" of today, should actually be East Central, and the so called "south-south" should be just South.

Gbam

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 9:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
udeh3:

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos? The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are not ibos!

I remember the first time I came to the West, anybody that refers to me uses the word 'omo ibo ni'. It takes some level of explanation to actually let them know that I'm not an Ibo person that I'm from the south-south
What is ur tribe? There is no tribe like south-south.
By the way udeh is an igbo name.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by emmykk(m): 9:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
The river niger and river benue has "Y" symbol. the upper part is north,the left is west and the right is east as par when reading from a phone now.so states within those areas are such place respectively i.e awka ibom,rivers ,bayesa and cross river are east.

That map dont have south at all.however over the years there is self identification of north-central,middle belt and south south.

Now If east is mentioned mind is cast to igbo speaking states of anambra,ebonyi,enugu,abia, imo.

Another confusing question is kwara state is kwara state west or north?

To clear my northern brother who may take president goodluck jonathan as easterner,he is not,he is a south-south person
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 10:01pm On Mar 14, 2015
emmatok:

Gbam
Explain the gbam! Because Aba is more southerly than Benin. And Ogoja in the south south is more northern than Owerri.

So explain the gbam you mean?

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 10:01pm On Mar 14, 2015
cheruv:

you're right brother...
the new East central state would be comprised of the old Anambra & Imo states and the new Anioma state.

If the anioma igbo of Delta wish BY THEMSELVES to be joined with their Anambra/Igbo brethren accross the Niger, then it can be done, so that the new East Central state would have 6 capitals like the rest- viz: Asaba, Owerre, Abakaliki, Enugwu, Umuahia, and Awka.
but only THEM can decide their OWN fate.......
personally, i see nothing wrong with that. Warri would become the new capital of whatever is left of Delta, The Urhobo-isoko, Itsekiri and Ijaw regions.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 14, 2015
scholes0:

In the correct terms, the South West is properly termed, but the so called "South East" of today, should actually be East Central, and the so called "south-south" should be just South .
I disagree with you. What happens to the term 'South' as comprising of the Western and Eastern parts of Nigeria?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 10:05pm On Mar 14, 2015
jkross:
b

nwanne opobo was never and has never been igbo land..trade and slave trade took the language there
I maghi ihe I naekwu! angry
kalabari and wakrike also spoke Igbo due to trade and slavery yet no one calls them Igbo land.
when an Igbo army marches South to incorporate opobo into the Da Igbo Guo,I wonder what you'd do undecided
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 10:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
Deltagiant:

Explain the gbam! Because Aba is more southerly than Benin. And Ogoja in the south south is more northern than Owerri.

So explain the gbam you mean?

That means nothing- it isn't anyone's fault that Igbo land is completely surrounded on all sides by other INDEPENDENT ethic groups that dont want to be classed in the same region.
And to your example, that was why I was saying the So called South East is East Central (it actually used to be called that until recently), while those places you listed, Ogoja, Obubra, Ikom, Benin, Warri, Brass, Ughelli etc are simply Southern or Eastern depending on how they are viewed.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 10:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
scholes0:
Read carefully...

You either lack the knowledge of geography or simply being mischevious. Bring your so called Nigerian map and tell me where youwill place Aba or Obuaku and Afikpo.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 10:10pm On Mar 14, 2015
scholes0:

That means nothing- it isn't anyone's fault that Igbo land is completely surrounded on all sides by other INDEPENDENT ethic groups that dont want to be classed in the same region.
And to your example, that was why I was saying the So called South East is East Central (it actually used to be called that until recently), while those places you listed, Ogoja, Obubra, Ikom, Benin, Warri, Brass, Ughelli etc are simply Southern or Eastern depending on how they are viewed.
Hey come on! Put on your thinking cap! This is about geography and not a matter of being surrounded by other ethnicities!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jazzydee: 10:12pm On Mar 14, 2015
The present South east states (Igboland) Should be called South Central
The Present South South States (Southern minorities) Should be called South East.
The present South West States (yorubaland) Should retain its name South West.

This will balance all controversies like we have in the North.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 10:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
Deltagiant:

You either lack the knowledge of geography or simply being mischevious. Bring your so called Nigerian map and tell me where youwill place Aba or Obuaku and Afikpo.

Oh yeah, I have a profound knowledge of Nigerian, and indeed World geography.
the problem here is that Southern minorities neither want to be in a Yoruba nor in an Igbo dominated region- why do you have a problem with that- does that unquenchable thirst for a coastline bother you so badly?
if Akwa Ibom and Rivers are classed as Eastern, would it be right to class Edo, Bayelsa, Delta as "Western" simply because they look so on the map?--- you seem to forget that geopolitics has a lot of cultural elements embedded in it. ----simply put, they would be relegated to the back benches in their regional politics if they were classed as anything but "South-South"
look at the USA, where a very geographically "southern state" like New Mexico is not considered part of the "South" but rather "Western", however a more northern state like Virginia is considered purely Southern..... guess why that is?
cultural differences and/or similarities- depending on context/semantics...

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
What ever you guyz have in mind will not work ooo Igbos,you have it in mind to carry us along when you forming your so called Biafra.You can carry the rest but don't try and think DELTA,we are not part of you guys....if you try it your problems will be compounded.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ongoing Construction Of Nsukka Township Stadium In Enugu (Photos) / “Underwear Bomber” Abdulmuttalab Remorseful — Father / Photos Of Modular Refinery Being Built In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.