Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,052 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable (33371 Views)

Revenue Generation: FG May Revise Restriction On 41 Items / Kwankwaso: Relocation Of Mile 12 Market Is "Unfair And Unacceptable" / Another Unpresidential Error: See Pix. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
Na this kind post dey make FP for nairaland o.

Seun and co una never go refund your dollars nor wait till May 30. General nor dey smile o grin grin grin grin grin

Wetin concern OP concern GMB telling AIT nor enter my house. Na by force.

Abi Buhari nor fit tell person say make him nor come visit. We need journalists in Nigeria not tribalist and liars like AIT.

Make OP watch Channels TV, STV, TVC and rethink, reepent and rewrite grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Drone007: 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
My heart was filled with grief after reading the Vanguard Report titled "Hate campaign: Buhari fights back, bars AIT from covering his activities - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/hate-campaign-buhari-fights-back-bars-ait-from-covering-his-activities/.

The question that stroke through my mind was "Can this be be justified in any sane democracy?".

It appears like Muhammadu Buhari is yet to come to terms with the present day democratic dispensation that he is bound to lead for the next for years or he is just acting naive. Perhaps the Daura-born General wants to bring back Decree 4 through the back door or he is out to fight any media organisation that he considers to be his adversary. Whatever be the case, Nigerians will not allow anyone to tamper with the freedom of media as provided by the 1999 Constitution.

President-elect Muhammadu Buhari need to be reminded that Sections 22 and 39 (1)(2) (quoted below) specifically made provision for Press Freedom.

Press Freedom In Nigeria's Constitution
Section 22 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution states that: “the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

Section 39(1) States that "Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.
Section 39(2) further went on to say "Without prejudice to the generality of subsection(1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinion."

Buhari Should Remember His Words on Press Freedom
At his interactive session with members of Newspapers Proprietors of Nigeria (NPAN) and Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE) on March 17, 2015, he pledged to uphold Press Freedom and to be a friend of the Press. In his own words...

“Concerning the Decree 4 of 1984, I have to assure you that the time for that is over. That was part of military administration and dictatorship, but I have also promised you that I am now a converted, and converted democrat. Therefore, I want to assure you that I am going to be a friend of the media and this time, I will work well with you as friends and partners in the development of the nation, and that is my promise to you.”

“I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian Constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4"

"...I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way. I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government.”.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=109636

The Unfortunate AIT Restriction
It is a unfortunate that President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that claimed to be a "reformed democrat" throughout the electioneering period will take the ignoble decision of preventing AIT from covering his activities even before taking oath of office. It is also unfortunate that the man that pledged to be a friend of the media will issue restricting order on a law abiding corporate citizen and a legally recognise media house. Buhari is expected to treat all members of the Media in the most appropriate manner. He should remember that the rights of the media as enshrined in the Constitution is not subject to change via Presidential desire. If he hasn't been told, he should be aware that his restriction on AIT is undemocratic and can never be tolerated in any sane democracy. If the President-elect has anything against AIT, he should seek redress in court. He may not like AIT as a media outfit but he should allow them conduct their duties unfettered as long as they operate within the ambit of the law.

Finally, let me remind President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that Nigerians are looking up to him to fulfil his numerous electoral promises. We will not tolerate any form of impunity or "executive rascality" whether from him(as President) or from any officer of his incoming government.

God Bless Nigeria
Source: http://solomontonye..com/2015/04/buharis-restriction-on-ait-undemocratic.html

HERE IT COMES. HE'S ALREADY STARTED EVEN BEFORE HIS INAUGURAL. NEXT HE WILL BAR OR EVEN NAIRALAND.COM.CAN LEOPARD 'CHANGE' ITS SPOTS?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by klax(m): 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
adeekiti:
Propaganda never finish ni grin Ait is too corrupt to cover the event, abi una wan bomb sai baba grin what do u want with a Man U blackmailed, na wa o

I guess you are very sick.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by PassingShot(m): 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I hope Buhari understands that we have democracy now and freedom of speech. We all know all what Jonathan went through at the hands of the press and social media, Buhari should get ready for his own barrage of criticisms. undecided

There is nothing GMB can do about the media without going through the law courts. However, the president-elect is perfectly in order in this case as he has a constitutional right to decide who covers his private activities and who doesn't.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by anwo247: 12:18pm On Apr 28, 2015
Myopic Fulani man

Mtcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by jydeskill1(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
Shoro niyen?
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:
Ait attack on Gen. Buhari, very democratic, Presidential and 100% acceptable..Fools

God bless you ma man... Thank God we still have someone who isn't myopic.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
You too my guy. You fit no like me but you still be my gee. One day we go drink beer from the same table.
Alphaoscar:
grin grin grin
Have a blessed day .
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by ddippset(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
Barcanista does not think that AIT should be sanctioned for violating the ethics of broadcasting during the elections and he didn't call for them to be sanctioned. Barcanista did not say a word about the pronouncements of the NBC. But he has seen what's wrong with what buhari did. Barcanista is going to be sad and butthvrt for the next 4 years.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by totoakins(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
My heart was filled with grief after reading the Vanguard Report titled "Hate campaign: Buhari fights back, bars AIT from covering his activities - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/hate-campaign-buhari-fights-back-bars-ait-from-covering-his-activities/.

The question that stroke through my mind was "Can this be be justified in any sane democracy?".

It appears like Muhammadu Buhari is yet to come to terms with the present day democratic dispensation that he is bound to lead for the next for years or he is just acting naive. Perhaps the Daura-born General wants to bring back Decree 4 through the back door or he is out to fight any media organisation that he considers to be his adversary. Whatever be the case, Nigerians will not allow anyone to tamper with the freedom of media as provided by the 1999 Constitution.

President-elect Muhammadu Buhari need to be reminded that Sections 22 and 39 (1)(2) (quoted below) specifically made provision for Press Freedom.

Press Freedom In Nigeria's Constitution
Section 22 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution states that: “the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

Section 39(1) States that "Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.
Section 39(2) further went on to say "Without prejudice to the generality of subsection(1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinion."

Buhari Should Remember His Words on Press Freedom
At his interactive session with members of Newspapers Proprietors of Nigeria (NPAN) and Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE) on March 17, 2015, he pledged to uphold Press Freedom and to be a friend of the Press. In his own words...

“Concerning the Decree 4 of 1984, I have to assure you that the time for that is over. That was part of military administration and dictatorship, but I have also promised you that I am now a converted, and converted democrat. Therefore, I want to assure you that I am going to be a friend of the media and this time, I will work well with you as friends and partners in the development of the nation, and that is my promise to you.”

“I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian Constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4"

"...I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way. I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government.”.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=109636

The Unfortunate AIT Restriction
It is a unfortunate that President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that claimed to be a "reformed democrat" throughout the electioneering period will take the ignoble decision of preventing AIT from covering his activities even before taking oath of office. It is also unfortunate that the man that pledged to be a friend of the media will issue restricting order on a law abiding corporate citizen and a legally recognise media house. Buhari is expected to treat all members of the Media in the most appropriate manner. He should remember that the rights of the media as enshrined in the Constitution is not subject to change via Presidential desire. If he hasn't been told, he should be aware that his restriction on AIT is undemocratic and can never be tolerated in any sane democracy. If the President-elect has anything against AIT, he should seek redress in court. He may not like AIT as a media outfit but he should allow them conduct their duties unfettered as long as they operate within the ambit of the law.

Finally, let me remind President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that Nigerians are looking up to him to fulfil his numerous electoral promises. We will not tolerate any form of impunity or "executive rascality" whether from him(as President) or from any officer of his incoming government.

God Bless Nigeria
Source: http://solomontonye..com/2015/04/buharis-restriction-on-ait-undemocratic.html
you must be very stupid for this post .Buahri cannot say AIT cannot report on him but he has a right to deny them access to his personal events

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Haykay80(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
BUHARI BARS AIT FROM COVERING HIS ACTIVITIES - News

"Staff of Africa Independent Television, AIT, have been barred from covering all activities of the President-elect, Gen. Buhari until issues bordering on ethics and standards against them have been addressed."

Just read the above news headline. This is essentially what I wanted to read first hand about this development before commenting on it. Personally, I'm ok with it. It is usually ignoring the vices our co-journey mates commit as a nation that encourage further practice of such unethical behaviors, most especially where financial gains are involved.

We are all witnesses that AIT went against many professional journalistic standards and ethics during the campaign of the recently concluded 2015 Presidential Elections, particularly against the personality and character of the Presidential-Elect and even some members of his family in some instances, all in the baseless assumptions that Buhari will never emerge victorious.

Now, that he has won the race as God Wills, against all of AIT's full blown struggle to frustrate his ambition as a citizen of this country, if he finds it necessary to correct the anomaly practiced by such a corporate outfit, I believe to discourage similar re-occurrence by AIT and other outfits, not just media in future, such a barring should be accommodated, pending other legally binding retributions that might follow.

It is usually allowing persons or organizations to "get away with murder" as the saying goes, that is encouraging the impunity we are witnessing amongst many who find themselves in the corridors of power. If we are indeed serious about the CHANGE we have been shouting for in this country, then we must of essence be ready and willing to do what is necessary to salvage our disgraced image in the eyes of the world.

Many of us might not like it due to reasons based on sentiments bothering on region, religion, ethnicity etc, but if we are to truly find a bearing from the lost course we are pursuing as a nation, we must make persons be accountable for their actions. The consequences of each action must be fully weighed by any before fully indulging in it.

Let this journey of a New Nigeria begin. The world so far ahead, turns its head with hope and encouragement for us to catch up and occupy our position in the committee of nations. We must not disappoint ourselves or the rest of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:20pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
What do you mean by "AIT attack"? If Buhari is convinced that AIT aired defaming story on him, the appropriate thing to do is to seek redress in Court or Petition the regulatory agencies. Buhari will not be allowed to "tame" the Press. This is not within his power and it is unacceptable in any democracy.

Sorry my dear. It is within his power to bar a news agency from covering his events.

It is not within his power to ban them from operating in Nigeria

See the difference?

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
What do you mean by "I should go to court"? Is it not a shame that a so-called democratic and progressive President-elect is infringing on the right of the press? Is it not more shameful that you people that has been shouting Change are supporting this rape to the constitution? If Mr Buhari that is yet to assume power will act this way, what happens when he is sworn-in? Buhari will not find it easy if he thinks we are in 1984 era.

HULLABALOO
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by 9ousky: 12:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
BabaOneChance:

Stop acting like a scallywag, even if u are. Aljazeerah, Sahara Reporters, Vanguard and others are known for spreading defamatory news about GEJ and his government. But answer this, how many times did he retort, not to mention, place a ban on any of these media houses? Even when they disgrace his wife. None! Now that's democracy! Before the election, Buhari lashed back at people talking ills about him. Today he's banning AIT. Where does that happen in the world of democracy
You animals need to learn!

You.Ar making a mistake there is difference. between "Banning" and "Barring"... Check ur dictionary and Even from d news they never Ban nor Banning... I don't know why una just like to dey create problems for una self when no one is even noticing una
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by ichidodo: 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
The f**king Daura illiterate is a monolithical piece of cow-dung who has helplessly and hilariously lost his way in this democratic setting....suffice to say with ginmicks such as this Nigeria and Nigerians are on the road to stone age because yes, he started with AIT, tommorrow he might crack down on others maybe NL....And you thought you voted 'Change'?.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
PassingShot:

There is nothing GMB can do about the media without going through the law courts. However, the president-elect is perfectly in order in this case as he has a constitutional right to decide who covers his private activities and who doesn't.

Ok.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by BabaO2: 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
Even if Buhari resisted obvious spoilers and robbers into his government, it is still undemocratic to them.
They are tiny few, therefore deal with them decisively, they are illiterate about governance
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by spencekat(m): 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
We shall resist his dictatorship. When APC members were insulting and calling President Jonathan unprintable names,didn't GEJ allow them be?.Thank God this is democracy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by atlwireles: 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
Many Nigerians never thought they would read a headline, like the incoming government barring news reporters from covering the activities of the President elect. Some are even claiming buhari is private citizen undecided undecided

But again most of you were not alive when he was Head of state, be prepared for more news like this. grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Coolcash1: 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
Can someone make me really understand this situation. The man (Buhari) is still a private citizen and has the sole right to decide which media house covers his activities. Besides, when this corrupt-ridden, ethnic bigot and asinine TV station called AIT was busy assassinating the character of the people's general people in the media and other stakeholders kept quiet. Even NBC that was supposed to stop the airing of such inhumane, unpatriotic and divisive documentary failed to act.

I totally support GMB's action because such kind of unprofessional organization that lacks integrity and decorum should be far from him. It also shows what haters like AIT that suppose to know that carrying out balance reporting like Channels TV need to be dealt with

GMB CARRY goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by shammah1(m): 12:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
Even before swearing in Buhari has started showing his true dictatorship colours. This isn't the change we plied for.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 28, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I hope Buhari understands that we have democracy now and freedom of speech. We all know all what Jonathan went through at the hands of the press and social media, Buhari should get ready for his own barrage of criticisms. undecided

Are you just naive or deluded? To bar does not mean to ban. You and the OP are swimming in thesame lagoon of confusion. Your hatred had darkened your reasoning.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 28, 2015
when will buhari change?
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by VIPERVENOM(m): 12:25pm On Apr 28, 2015
Wen GEJ was sending soldiers to clamp down on some newspaper journals I wonder if op was sleeping then

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by blackpanda: 12:25pm On Apr 28, 2015
vision2022:
By posting this; this barca nonsense you are a fool, consider what AIT did to GMB just b/cos they were giving money by Jonathan, if I were in GMB shoes I will use NBC to close the station and its sister companies down to serve as deterrant to others that may like to engage in such unruly behaviour in future. They left their professional conduct to engage in character assasination. fooools.

1 billion likes
Very intelligent!
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by san316(m): 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
If the media is on the verge of causing division and crisis, they can be banned and their license seized. AIT has been known to provoke ethnic and divisive sentiments. This is not good for Nigeria.

They should not just be barred but banned and their licence seized.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
shammah1:
Even before swearing in Buhari has started showing his true dictatorship colours. This isn't the change we plied for.

You didn't vote for him now. why use the word we? grin grin grin

Let the enlightened progressive who voted for him talk.

To help you he barred them from his events - legal

he did not ban them from operatiing

AIT can continute saying trash. Progressives don port go Channels. AIT go soon commot fo market grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by ekika(m): 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
hopilo:
GEJ should have banned Sahara report, Nation, Punch, Vangaurd and others. In democracy there is press freedom and freedom of expression, for those supporting this action today I pray when GMB start to clamp down on Nigerians in social network we should not complain.

Nigerians with TRIBALISM, so GEJ is a fool now Abi, we shall see. am awaiting to here from u
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by emmasege: 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
dunkem21:
I laugh in Nairaland grin

Mark my words, very soon, typing "one chance" on NL will earn you a lengthy ban. gringrin

And most likely that NL forum will be mandated to show faces and profiles of members, so that "Sai Buhari" dogs will go after those attacking the President.

Nigeria, Behold your 'CHANGE"
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
Op is deluded and fu*cking pained. His action during the electioneering, switching parties can be likened to Nuhu Ribadu. If wishes were horses is going thru their minds.

Back to the topic
I can see only one of the PDP backing. Where are the other Pdp E-cockroaches? Make Una come help op ooo
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Charly68: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
Who posted this ranting to this page self . Where were they when AIT was messing up ? They joined their founder to pkwy ethnic politics at the detriment of patriotism. O.k now GMB is having the last laugh,the money your boss collected will sustain you till the next four years. I trust the people's General he won't take any of your nonsense .
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by anwo247: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
GMB is a fool, slowpoke, and a lunatic.

This means that by now, GEJ should have banned Sahara Reporters, the Nation and the likes?

Nonsense abokï. ..... mtchewwwwww

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Boko Haram Members Killed By Troops During Raid In Sambisa Forest.Graphic Photos / Atiku Meet With Rivers State PDP Stakeholders In Abuja / INEC Extends Voting In 300 Polling Units Out 150,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.