Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable (33366 Views)

Revenue Generation: FG May Revise Restriction On 41 Items / Kwankwaso: Relocation Of Mile 12 Market Is "Unfair And Unacceptable" / Another Unpresidential Error: See Pix. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by rahmathassan(m): 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:
Ait attack on Gen. Buhari, very democratic, Presidential and 100% acceptable..Fools
Good one there
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Alphaoscar: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
You too my guy. You fit no like me but you still be my gee. One day we go drink beer from the same table.

Its nothing personal and we can't all reason the same way all the time. But its only that I am not an apostle of someone burning the bridge once he cross it because we all still have a long way to go and its even stupid taking this politicians issues personal because you will not be their when they are settling themselves while the supporters are left alone to die with their wounds. The matters arising since the announcement of the presidential result should also serve as a lesson to every of thes politicians supporters. One love Bro.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by dridowu: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by bayulll01(m): 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
What do you mean by "AIT attack"? If Buhari is convinced that AIT aired defaming story on him, the appropriate thing to do is to seek redress in Court or Petition the regulatory agencies. Buhari will not be allowed to "tame" the Press. This is not within his power and it is unacceptable in any democracy.

Yes very acceptable you son of bitterness,when AIT was airing hate speech that suppose to have set this country in commotion where are you,did you condemn the hate speech,something like that happen in rwanda,do u know the outcomes,buhari is president elect,he has right to safe guard himself,ait was indicted in abuja bombing in 2011,your clueless jonadunce attest to it,ait should have think twice when those silly politician were paying them to air the character assassination,they attempted on his life,obama do the same,so you son of bitterness go and jump inside the lagoon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Kazrem(m): 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
sharap op. Where were you when AIT aired that defaming documentary? Where was your writing pen when fully armed men confiscated the book that was about to be launched on Jonathan weeks before election?
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
My heart was filled with grief after reading the Vanguard Report titled "Hate campaign: Buhari fights back, bars AIT from covering his activities - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/hate-campaign-buhari-fights-back-bars-ait-from-covering-his-activities/.

The question that stroke through my mind was "Can this be be justified in any sane democracy?".

It appears like Muhammadu Buhari is yet to come to terms with the present day democratic dispensation that he is bound to lead for the next for years or he is just acting naive. Perhaps the Daura-born General wants to bring back Decree 4 through the back door or he is out to fight any media organisation that he considers to be his adversary. Whatever be the case, Nigerians will not allow anyone to tamper with the freedom of media as provided by the 1999 Constitution.

President-elect Muhammadu Buhari need to be reminded that Sections 22 and 39 (1)(2) (quoted below) specifically made provision for Press Freedom.

Press Freedom In Nigeria's Constitution
Section 22 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution states that: “the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

Section 39(1) States that "Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.
Section 39(2) further went on to say "Without prejudice to the generality of subsection(1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinion."

Buhari Should Remember His Words on Press Freedom
At his interactive session with members of Newspapers Proprietors of Nigeria (NPAN) and Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE) on March 17, 2015, he pledged to uphold Press Freedom and to be a friend of the Press. In his own words...

“Concerning the Decree 4 of 1984, I have to assure you that the time for that is over. That was part of military administration and dictatorship, but I have also promised you that I am now a converted, and converted democrat. Therefore, I want to assure you that I am going to be a friend of the media and this time, I will work well with you as friends and partners in the development of the nation, and that is my promise to you.”

“I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian Constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4"

"...I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way. I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government.”.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=109636

The Unfortunate AIT Restriction
It is a unfortunate that President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that claimed to be a "reformed democrat" throughout the electioneering period will take the ignoble decision of preventing AIT from covering his activities even before taking oath of office. It is also unfortunate that the man that pledged to be a friend of the media will issue restricting order on a law abiding corporate citizen and a legally recognise media house. Buhari is expected to treat all members of the Media in the most appropriate manner. He should remember that the rights of the media as enshrined in the Constitution is not subject to change via Presidential desire. If he hasn't been told, he should be aware that his restriction on AIT is undemocratic and can never be tolerated in any sane democracy. If the President-elect has anything against AIT, he should seek redress in court. He may not like AIT as a media outfit but he should allow them conduct their duties unfettered as long as they operate within the ambit of the law.

Finally, let me remind President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that Nigerians are looking up to him to fulfil his numerous electoral promises. We will not tolerate any form of impunity or "executive rascality" whether from him(as President) or from any officer of his incoming government.

God Bless Nigeria
Source: http://solomontonye..com/2015/04/buharis-restriction-on-ait-undemocratic.html

I think GMB is in order, he never restricted their freedom of expression, he just restricted them from covering his activities, based on security reports and moral issues, to me i think he is in order, after all president Jonathan through the nigerian military restrcited al ja zeera reporters from covering some areas in the North East. I think other stations are availalbe to cover, I think the question you need to be askin is to what level is AIT restricted from covering.

In my opinion the moment daar communication began to broadcast those hate videos dey put dem sef in a difficult situation, if u expect democracy and fairness then act like a democrat, those hate broadcast were too damming for anyone to just over look, even GEJ sef wont find it funny, no reputable news agency will broadcast such without verying the facts. and many of the content were allegations.

Buhari too shd take things easy, he never enter he don dey dish orders na wa o.

Time we tell sha.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by san316(m): 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
shammah1:
Even before swearing in Buhari has started showing his true dictatorship colours. This isn't the change we plied for.

You didn't vote Buhari. You wanted continuity. So here u have it. A continuation of the repressive regime.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by pheliciti: 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
The management of AIT are not answerable to Buhari and they owe him no explanation. Buhari has NO right to suspend, intefere or intrude into the affairs of the media whether AIT or no AIT. His action is unfortunate, unconstitutional and can be likened to War Against Press Freedom. You Buharists supporting this show of Tyranny should hide your heads in shame.

Do you remember that this same Jonathan Govt closed down AIT in 2010, detained it's staff and only recently detained Aljazeera staff? Now that GMB tries to protect his right to Private Family Life, you get up in arms. Or didn't you read in the same constitution that GMB has rights too? That's the problem of half education again.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Chiaka(f): 12:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
GMB said he will give press freedom in his champagne why now he is doing otherwise

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-i-wont-tamper-with-press-freedom/
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by kobe79: 12:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
Kororugged:

Illiterate, stop using words carelessly

How can you refer to the restriction - as tyranny? His defense team made the call for a number of reasons- security concerns being one of them.

I have often advised you to go and sit for Jamb exam and get a University degree. Beneath the surface, you are totally empty.

you just killed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by ajepako(f): 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
What do you mean by "AIT attack"? If Buhari is convinced that AIT aired defaming story on him, the appropriate thing to do is to seek redress in Court or Petition the regulatory agencies. Buhari will not be allowed to "tame" the Press. This is not within his power and it is unacceptable in any democracy.

I dont know the kind of hypocrites APC is..
The entire country knows APC is behind the smear campaign about GEJ and his administration by Sahara news, Premium Times, The Nation and Punch, yet, GEJ didnt blow anything out of proportion or threaten hell against these rag news media..

Now AIT is just criticising Baba one chance and hell is already letting loose..
Means the old Baba is intolerant of criticism and na lie..we go bash am as we did GEJ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Chiaka(f): 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
Nairaland might soon be shut down too!

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
hypocrites will look for any excuse to justify wrong doings as have been seen here. buhari coasted to victory because of the way APC leverage on the freedom of the press to pick on GEJ's regime. the fact remains that the moment GMB collected that certificate of return as our president he became a public figure and by extension his action and words have power if not equal powers as dat of GEJ. for instance, imagine GMB saying that no loan should not be given to the present administration i am sure neither world bank our our local banks will go against that. so he z now a public figure and as at the time he gave dat marching order was in a public building (defense house) built by tax payers money. lest face the fact all that hate speech among politician was across board. both APC and PDP. they called themselves names insulted and abused the president and his wife and even went further to abuse the office of the president, the same seat buhari will occupy in a month time. that same seat was denigrated and maligned. I urge us to be careful, and mind how we support our politicians blindly. if he ban AIT, who will ban Channels, TVC and shara reports. Any injury to the media is an injury to the common Nigeria, it is through the media will make our mind and heart felt to these politicians. if a media house make mistake or break the law, i expect the regulatory body to sue them or worst still i expect the president elect to seek redress in the law court. that is if he has respect for rule of law and freedom of speech, expression and association. AIt has right just like any media house to be present at defense house anytime any day, even if it means interview the walls. #Nigeria, let's be guided accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by dunkem21(m): 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
emmasege:
And most likely that NL forum will be mandated to show faces and profiles of members, so that "Sai Buhari" dogs will go after those attacking the President.

Nigeria, Behold your 'CHANGE"

Am planning to dump NL soon.

Proactive mode activated.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
belabela:

Sorry my dear. It is within his power to bar a news agency from covering his events.

It is not within his power to ban them from operating in Nigeria

See the difference?
Buhari as a public citizen have NO power to bar, ban or restrict ANY member of the media from covering his events. He is expected to treat the members of the media with utmost respect and equally. He must not be seen to show bias towards or against any member of the media.

If he has anything against any media outfit, he should go to court for legal redress or petition NBC.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Firefire(m): 12:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
[size=18pt]Buhary should take caution NOW, this is not 1984. [/size]

angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Coolcash1: 12:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
[[s]quote author=anwo247 post=33195830]GMB is a fool, slowpoke, and a lunatic.

This means that by now, GEJ should have banned Sahara Reporters, the Nation and the likes?

Nonsense abokï. ..... mtchewwwwww [/quote][/s]

Its obvious that you are not cultured and mannered at all.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
Biafranqueeen:
Seun , is there any particular reason why you keep taking Barcanista's threads to the front page?

A similar thread was on the FP just a few hours ago.

Is there any particular reason why his threads should not be pushed to FP?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Muhammedmurtala: 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
it surprise me that some people are still ignorant of international politics Buhari is not the first to react to some unfriendly networks.Even in US, Isreal and other EU state they restric some network stations that are biased like AIT.what they did to Buhari was the worse deformation and image tarnish ever witness in Nigeria.Let the whole wrath of law befall on them to serve as a detriment in future.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Edifyer: 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:

What do u mean by Buhari will not be allow to tame the press.. AIT had violated all ethics of the Media by broadcasting false accusations to the extend of bringing in his Late Wife and Daughter.. that was un call for.. and right now he sees AIT as a security threat to him and his family and he has every right to stop t them from anything related to him.. in fact the owner might be behind the Abuja Bomb blast according to SSS. so there is absolutely nothing wrong in wht he has done. and pls don't mistake this as a fight against press freedom
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
A
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
What do u espect from a president elect dat his campaign was masterminded by david axelrod," crush the press and u r d king" like obama like buhari.
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Adelebadmos(m): 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
Thank you. God bless you. You have said it all. Bravo, comrade!

curiouses:
For fellow Buharist

Cc: PassingShot
barcanista:
Buhari as a public citizen have NO power to bar, ban or restrict ANY member of the media from covering his events. He is expected to treat the members of the media with utmost respect and equally. He must not be seen to show bias towards or against any member of the media.

If he has anything against any media outfit, he should go to court for legal redress or petition NBC.

Sorry it's his fundamental human right. You can only talk about ethics but within the law he's done nothing wrong. To make it simple for you they failed security clearance...they werent barred grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Biafranqueeen: 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
dearpreye:

Is there any particular reason why his threads should not be pushed to FP?

Dein77, my post was not addressed to you

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
atlwireles:
Many Nigerians never thought they would read a headline, like the incoming government barring news reporters from covering the activities of the President elect. Some are even claiming buhari is private citizen undecided undecided

But again most of you were not alive when he was Head of state, be prepared for more news like this. grin grin grin grin grin
Go lick the wound you sustained on March 28.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Firefire(m): 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
Coolcash1:
[[s]quote author=anwo247 post=33195830]GMB is a fool, slowpoke, and a lunatic.

This means that by now, GEJ should have banned Sahara Reporters, the Nation and the likes?

Nonsense abokï. ..... mtchewwwwww [/s]

Its obvious that you are not cultured and mannered at all.

relax and see how baba one chance would be severely abuse like you guys did to GEJ.

First to do no dey pain. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by TheOtherview: 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
That's more like it.

APC’s Mohammed Lai Releases Statement On AIT & Other Media

APC just released a statement saying all accredited media, including AIT, are free to cover President-elect’s activities. Read the statement below.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that all accredited media organizations in the country, including the African Independent Television (AIT), are free to cover the activities of the President-elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the incoming Buhari Administration will not discriminate against any media organization, irrespective of its role during the electioneering campaign leading up to the recent polls.

It however enjoined all media organizations to observe the highest level of professional standards in carrying out their duties.

”There is a Code of Ethics guiding the practice of journalism in Nigeria, and this demands every journalist to ensure a strict adherence to the highest levels of ethics and professionalism in carrying out their duties.

”There must be repercussions, within the realms of the law, for media organizations which have wantonly breached the Code of Ethics of the journalism profession and turned themselves to partisans instead of professionals. But such repercussions will not include barring any accredited media organization from covering the activities of the President-elect,” APC said.

Alhaji Lai Mohammed
National Publicity Secretary
All Progressives Congress (APC)
Abuja, April 28th 2015

Source
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
ugnmezi:
hypocrites will look for any excuse to justify wrong doings as have been seen here. buhari coasted to victory because of the way APC leverage on the freedom of the press to pick on GEJ's regime. the fact remains that the moment GMB collected that certificate of return as our president he became a public figure and by extension his action and words have power if not equal powers as dat of GEJ. for instance, imagine GMB saying that no loan should not be given to the present administration i am sure neither world bank our our local banks will go against that. so he z now a public figure and as at the time he gave dat marching order was in a public building (defense house) built by tax payers money. lest face the fact all that hate speech among politician was across board. both APC and PDP. they called themselves names insulted and abused the president and his wife and even went further to abuse the office of the president, the same seat buhari will occupy in a month time. that same seat was denigrated and maligned. I urge us to be careful, and mind how we support our politicians blindly. if he ban AIT, who will ban Channels, TVC and shara reports. Any injury to the media is an injury to the common Nigeria, it is through the media will make our mind and heart felt to these politicians. if a media house make mistake or break the law, i expect the regulatory body to sue them or worst still i expect the president elect to seek redress in the law court. that is if he has respect for rule of law and freedom of speech, expression and association. AIt has right just like any media house to be present at defense house anytime any day, even if it means interview the walls. #Nigeria, let's be guided accordingly.
This is my problem with Buharists. They are too partisan and double standard. It is a pity that Nigerians will have to tolerate them for another 4 years.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by atlwireles: 12:37pm On Apr 28, 2015
[s]
OrlandoOwoh:

Go lick the wound you sustained on March 28.
[/s]
Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Firefire(m): 12:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
TheOtherview:
That's more like it.

Source

APC is DERANGED. undecided

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by baralatie(m): 12:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
Alphaoscar:

Maybe you need to educate us your own understanding of the word clampdown because he never threaten to withdraw their license or ban their operation in the country but only suspend them from his activities pending the time the mgt of AIT will meet with his team to sort their differences. The main bone of contention is AIT's refusal to disclose the alleged sponsors of those hate documentaries for prosecution.
wait for it.by may 29 what do you think will happen to freedom of the press!
selective barring of media houses!
decree 4 loading.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

See Reactions As Saraki Loses Senatorial Seat To APC Oloriegbe (video) / Rufai Oseni Speaks On Tinubu's Visit To Rivers State (Video) / Abia: Ikpeazu’s Removal Stands, Says Federal High Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.