Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,414 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 (70518 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo Gets Emotional At HID Awolowo's Lying In State / Ambode And Wife At HID Awolowo's Lying In State In Lagos (photos) / Nigerians Blast Senator Shehu Sani Over His Controversial Tweet (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by hausadreturn(m): 7:58am On May 04, 2015
themodernman:

Please why were the Biafrans migrating towards Ore during the war? Is Ore too part of Buafra? Can't they just sit in their goddamned region & carve their niche?
It's like asking why the Russian troops were advancing towards Berlin during World War II, or why the Germans themselves moved to Kiev, etc.
U should understand what it means when we say a ''war'' is going on. That kind of stuff happens. That also is how Boko haram advanced and captured some places in the north.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by driand(m): 7:59am On May 04, 2015
eazisky:

Was that what ur history lecturer told u abt him? its obvious, u are still bittered out of jealousy, that coward ojukwuless will never earn any respect from Nigerians like awolowo,
no Nigerian leader ever received the kind of respect ojukwu received in death go and check your history except you were not in Nigeria then.

7 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by PassingShot(m): 7:59am On May 04, 2015
[size=20pt]Another thread for e-tribal war![/size]

[size=15pt]Runs out of thread.[/size]
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by eazisky(m): 8:00am On May 04, 2015
XRAY21:
Even this man was corrupt ,he went to jail for using government money to support this party just like our present day Tinubu. all yoruba are thief

And the 2 trillion jonathan and pdp candidate in south east used for campaign belongs to ur wreched dad abi? mumu

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by driand(m): 8:00am On May 04, 2015
akinegba1:
I have heard severally that our leader committed suicide. Is it true house?
authoritatively YES!!

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:01am On May 04, 2015
From the eve of independence, he led the Action Group as the Leader of the Opposition in the federal parliament, leaving Samuel Ladoke Akintola as the Western Region Premier. Serious disagreements between Awolowo and Akintola on how to run the Western region led the latter to an alliance with the Tafawa Balewa-led NPC federal government. A constitutional crisis led to the declaration of a state of emergency in the Western Region, eventually resulting in a widespread breakdown of law and order.

Excluded from national government, Awolowo and his party faced an increasingly precarious position. Akintola's followers, angered at their exclusion from power, formed the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP) under Akintola's leadership. Having previously suspended the elected Western Regional Assembly, the federal government then reconstituted the body after manoeuvres that brought Akintola's NNDP into power without an election. Shortly afterwards Awolowo and several disciples were arrested, charged, convicted (of treason),[8] and jailed for conspiring with the Ghanaian authorities under Kwame Nkrumah to overthrow the federal government.[9] The remnants of the Action Group fought the national election of 1965 in alliance with the largely Igbo, and south-eastern NCNC. Amid accusations of fraud from the NCNC-AG camp, the NPC-NNDP won the election; the AG supporters reacted with violent riots in some parts of the Western region. Awolowo was later freed by the military administration of General Yakubu Gowon who subsequently appointed him Federal Commissioner for Finance and Vice-President of the Federal Executive Council. This took place in the unsettled circumstances immediately preceding the Civil War.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by themodernman: 8:02am On May 04, 2015
hausadreturn:
It's like asking why the Russians troops were advancing towards Berlin during World War II, or why the Germans themselves moved to Kiev, etc.
U should understand what it means when we say a ''war'' is going on. That kind of stuff happens. That also is how Boko harams advanced and captured some places in the north.

Still doesn't answer my question. If they want their Biafra why didn't they just carve out their map? Why did they have to start invading Ore? They were even gonna advance down to Lagos...Is Lagos also a part of Biafra

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Spesh04: 8:02am On May 04, 2015
kallmemrB:
Even Zik was a dumb ruler compare to achievement of Awolowo.....

its pretty easy to know the igbos with their nonsensical comments to a sensible post...if u want someone to scream at or curse at,pls locate ojukwu family cos the man singlehandedly misled the whole igbo race

All what Ojukwu fought for in the 60's are still salient points in our present and future. If there was ever a visionary leader Naija ever had, Ojukwu basks in that glory and glamour. In time we will all come to a stand still and then appreciate the doctrine of regional govt for complete development and advancement of the country. Then Ojukwu Et al will be vindicated. Comprendez?

10 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by emmatok(m): 8:03am On May 04, 2015
And why did this tribalistic made FP.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:03am On May 04, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

We all have our missions
mission to die like 3million goats...... Well

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:04am On May 04, 2015
daveP:
Hmm

hmmm

what popc confidently told me about him.... Hmmm... Hmmm.

Behind the scene seems reserved for Judgement day-looking more like a fact!!!

(turns and serves thread viewers some coffee)
kindly share some let's analyse please

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by driand(m): 8:05am On May 04, 2015
kallmemrB:
Even Zik was a dumb ruler compare to achievement of Awolowo.....

its pretty easy to know the igbos with their nonsensical comments to a sensible post...if u want someone to scream at or curse at,pls locate ojukwu family cos the man singlehandedly misled the whole igbo race
don't mind the Igbos during the Civil War they lost everything their cities were leveled to the ground, but 45 years after the end of the war they are the richest tribe in the whole of Africa, go and die!

10 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:05am On May 04, 2015
driand:
no Nigerian leader ever received the kind of respect ojukwu received in death go and check your history except you were not in Nigeria then.
in death, so awesome
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by XRAY21(m): 8:07am On May 04, 2015
eazisky:

And the 2 trillion jonathan and pdp candidate in south east used for campaign belongs to ur wreched dad abi? mumu
first where may dad stand you father can't near there . Secondly there are all thief's GEJ GMB, and all the yoruba elite. So there is no f**king hero there. Even if there is it GEJ. Like it or not
Thirdly don't quote me again. Let that thug you call a father teach you some respect

4 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Ayus34(m): 8:07am On May 04, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

Why r u so tribalistic?
why will u care about what a buffoon is saying?
it is not my culture to insult ladies coz I respect them the most,but there is different between a real lady and an uncluttered/untutored asshole. ...imagine d dustrace the nonnentity would be caused his husband and unborn generation. .....I always see some of her unreasonable comment,but since I know the writer is one unreasonable fellow,so I didn't deem it fit to respond!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by 83lagosroad(m): 8:08am On May 04, 2015
iykofias:
A tribal legend! Nv knew d yorubas r buried wit their glasses on

A tribal legend that developed the southwest where ur pole make their survival. What happened to ur tribal end and okadigbos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by omohanet(m): 8:08am On May 04, 2015
Why is the Yorubas always on the North side?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by jimi4us: 8:10am On May 04, 2015
FreeGlobe:

you forgot to add the bold.. you are welcome
we heard he was doing longer throat and drank poisoned tea. you're welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by akinegba1: 8:10am On May 04, 2015
OoduaVanguard:

You are a liar! No true Yoruba son would utter that statement about Awolowo therefore I refuse to believe you are Yoruba. In fact you are a bas*tard, an Igbo e-rat using a Yoruba handle, your handle was created yesterday to create confusion on here. I can smell your kind from afar. Omo ale.

I am pure yoruba from gbagada.i feel bad being yoruba. Why would our so called leader commit suicide? This is not a good time to be omoluabi.

9 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by eazisky(m): 8:10am On May 04, 2015
XRAY21:
first where may dad stand you father can't near there . Secondly there are all thief's GEJ GMB, and all the yoruba elite. So there is no f**king hero there. Even if there is it GEJ. Like it or not
Thirdly don't quote me again. Let that thug you call a father teach you some respect

Obviously the only thing we knw u biggots for is chest beating, always ranting when u knw u are an empty drum, who doesnt knw an igbo man with love of money? even ur briklayer dad is being rated high by u? hahaha

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Ayus34(m): 8:11am On May 04, 2015
kenonze:
From the eve of independence, he led the Action Group as the Leader of the Opposition in the federal parliament, leaving Samuel Ladoke Akintola as the Western Region Premier. Serious disagreements between Awolowo and Akintola on how to run the Western region led the latter to an alliance with the Tafawa Balewa-led NPC federal government. A constitutional crisis led to the declaration of a state of emergency in the Western Region, eventually resulting in a widespread breakdown of law and order.

Excluded from national government, Awolowo and his party faced an increasingly precarious position. Akintola's followers, angered at their exclusion from power, formed the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP) under Akintola's leadership. Having previously suspended the elected Western Regional Assembly, the federal government then reconstituted the body after manoeuvres that brought Akintola's NNDP into power without an election. Shortly afterwards Awolowo and several disciples were arrested, charged, convicted (of treason),[8] and jailed for conspiring with the Ghanaian authorities under Kwame Nkrumah to overthrow the federal government.[9] The remnants of the Action Group fought the national election of 1965 in alliance with the largely Igbo, and south-eastern NCNC. Amid accusations of fraud from the NCNC-AG camp, the NPC-NNDP won the election; the AG supporters reacted with violent riots in some parts of the Western region. Awolowo was later freed by the military administration of General Yakubu Gowon who subsequently appointed him Federal Commissioner for Finance and Vice-President of the Federal Executive Council. This took place in the unsettled circumstances immediately preceding the Civil War.
thank God for his arrest,remember the coup that killed akintola the traitor,and the northern leaders the tormentors would 've affect him as well.....but God used the prison to save awo. ....there is opportunity in adversity!

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:12am On May 04, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

Why r u so tribalistic?
i tire oo.. mtcheww
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by eazisky(m): 8:12am On May 04, 2015
akinegba1:

I am pure yoruba from gbagada.i feel bad being yoruba. Why would our so called leader commit suicide? This is not a good time to be omoluabi.

Bastard... ask ur mum

5 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by Nobody: 8:12am On May 04, 2015
FreeGlobe:

you forgot to add the bold.. you are welcome
Is it so hard for you to jump and pass?? hian
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by hausadreturn(m): 8:13am On May 04, 2015
themodernman:

Still doesn't answer my question. If they want their Biafra why didn't they just carve out their map? Why did they have to start invading Ore? They were even gonna advance down to Lagos...Is Lagos also a part of Biafra
since it was a war, the plan was to capture the seat of govt. i.e capture the head of govt. Ore was just part of the road network

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by OzMingle(m): 8:13am On May 04, 2015
....we missed your legacies! The Zik's, Awolowo's, Tafawa's.....May you all rest in peace while hoping GMB will make you happy in the ancestoral kingdom.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by akinegba1: 8:14am On May 04, 2015
eazisky:

Bastard... ask ur mum

seun ban this person. What have I done to deserve this? That I am from gbagada.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by themodernman: 8:17am On May 04, 2015
hausadreturn:
since it was a war, the plan was to capture the seat of govt. i.e capture the head of govt. Ore was just part of the road network

Capturing the seat of government means they wanna turn the whole Nigeria to Biafra nah
Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by eazisky(m): 8:17am On May 04, 2015
akinegba1:

seun ban this person. What have I done to deserve this? That I am from gbagada.

Lol, do it ur self mr.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by akinegba1: 8:17am On May 04, 2015
OzMingle:
....we missed your legacies! The Zik's, Awolowo's, Tafawa's.....May you all rest in peace while hoping GMB will make you happy in the ancestoral kingdom.

we yorubas cannot miss awo because he committed suicide.

4 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 by OoduaVanguard: 8:18am On May 04, 2015
Henry22:

OJUKWU was never and will never whike nigerian, havn't you heard of THE GREAT BIAFRAN WAR LORD THAT SHOOK nigeria to its tail end? Thats who he was.

Yeah, he was do great that he ran off like a bit.CH to the ivory coast while the unfortunate souls he led to war were starving to death and dying like flies. A great coward you mean. cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Stop Using Me For Comedy, Buhari Warns Nigerians / Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Govt Demands Two Major Things From South Africa / Lucky Obire: How Kenneth Gbagi Brutalized Me In 2019 - Ex Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.