Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,600 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau (37562 Views)

Declare State Of Emergency In Zamfara - Dansadau Tells Buhari / Troops Kill 18 Boko Haram Terrorists As They Avert Bandit Attack On Dansadau(pix / Rep Speaker: South-south Canvasses Support For Pally Iriase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by sartorius(m): 9:41am On May 13, 2015
Senator Saidu Mohammed Dansadau represented Zamfara Central Senatorial District from 1999-2007 under the defunct All Nigerian People’s Party. In this interview, he faults the quest by the South West for the speakership of the House of Representatives. He also says the APC leadership is failing Nigerians by the controversy over zoning of National Assembly positions. Excerpts:

You were in the Senate from 1999-2003, what is your take on the controversy over zoning of National Assembly positions by the All Progressives Congress (APC)?

I feel the controversy on where the Senate presidency and the speakership should be zoned to or who in particular should occupy the seats shouldn’t have arisen. Because, there has been a tradition for zoning - if you want to balance power, you take into consideration the regional bloc, ethnic callings and also religious inclinations. As far as I am concerned, if the APC wants to be fair, the Senate presidency must be zoned to the North Central and for me not only North Central but it should be zoned to a Christian senator from wherever he is in the North Central. And if you will ask me my preference among all the Christian senators I will tell you George Akume is my Senate president why, because it is high time political parties began to reward merit. In fact, not only parties but the Nigerian electorate should begin to reward merit. That is, to vote into positions of power those individuals and personalities that have been recognised for being faithful, honest, dedicated and selfless in the discharge of their responsibilities.

It is only then that we will be able to get Nigeria out of the socio-economic problems that have bedevilled the country for so long.
APC in the North Central has been growing from strength to strength. There is no gainsaying that leaders of the party in the zone have been substantially responsible for the growth and success of the APC in the region.

Secondly, if you are talking about ranking, there are ranking senators from the region who are ably qualified to occupy the position. Akume for instance has been the Minority Leader in the Senate. It is very important such personalities are entrusted with responsibility for stability in the Senate.

The Senate was unstable in the first tenure and its stability improved in the second tenure and since then it has been a stable institution.
The South West wants to have the Speaker; do you think they deserve to be given the position?

Nigerians should take note of the voting trend since independence. In fact, since the 1950s, the North Central per se had never voted in the manner it did along with the other parts of the North as it did at this particular time. These are the kind of things we have been looking for a long time. Various initiatives have been put in place in order to see that northerners from wherever they are, from the 19 states, become one as far as voting is concerned. We are not saying 100 percent of northerners should be in one political party but that northerners should have one voice, they should decide and dictate the politics of Nigeria; like it has been before independence and even during the First Republic because of the numerical strength of the North.

But of recent we became divided so we became so vulnerable. But God in His infinite wisdom and mercy used the goodwill of General Muhammadu Buhari and we have gotten the kind of unity that we have been yearning for for so long. We have realised this dream now. So now that we have achieved the unity we long for because of Buhari’s goodwill, it is only fair that we now make some efforts to consolidate these gains because General Buhari will not be the president for ever. So that after him, we have consolidated on this goodwill and we will be able to grow this unity, political cooperation, electoral cooperation from strength to strength so that the North will as much as possible dictate the political landscape of the country and what happens in Nigeria as it used to do. This is necessary because my fear is that not that Senator Ahmad Lawan is not qualified, he is very much qualified, but in third world countries where there are lots of crises and ethnicity and religions, you have to balance power in such a manner that every ethnic and religious group as much as possible will feel satisfied with the balancing of power. That is all we are saying.

And for the North East, they really deserve the speakership. There is no doubt going by their number and what they contributed to the success of the APC going by the candidates contesting for the position, they truly deserve a very important office in this dispensation. There is no doubt about that. But I feel no sacrifice is too much as far as the unity of this country is concerned. No sacrifice is too much as far as it concerns the growth and the continuity in power of the APC. So, in order not to take a decision that will make the strength of APC wane so quickly, I think regional groups and individuals should learn to make sacrifices.

In fact, where I fault the leadership of the APC is why should the leadership do zoning in piecemeal? Why should they zone the speakership to the South West? When you are taking that decision, why didn’t they take the entire zoning together? That was what the PDP did in the past and since it is good, the APC should emulate it. If any crisis arises as a result of the zoning I will blame the leadership of the APC. Why, because if they had sat down from the word go to zone all the positions, this problem wouldn’t have arisen.

Are you saying that the delay in taking a decision is responsible for this controversy?

Yes, and it portends great danger for the APC; this delay of sitting down to agree on the zoning. And the second mistake they made is this piecemeal zoning. Why single out Speaker of the House of Representatives? Why? The entire thing should have been taken together. If APC does not put its feet down properly and take charge it is going to lead to crisis in the leadership of the National Assembly.
People are insinuating that if the APC leadership is not careful, the Tambuwal scenario is going to repeat itself and for me I feel that the South West was asking for too much. They already have the vice president why should they be making request for speaker of the House of Representatives? For me, Speaker of the House should be zoned to North East. And that will have been a very good balancing of power and you forge ahead.

Do you see the need to carry the northern Christians along for the sacrifices they made in the election?

I am appealing to the APC as a political party to take a bold step in order to bring an end to this matter before even the president is inaugurated.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/politics/54471-speaker-south-west-is-asking-for-too-much-dansadau

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Tolexander: 9:58am On May 13, 2015
Where was he at the beginning of this outgoing administration to tell us his zone's demand to be the speaker of the House of representatives after having the Vice President was too much?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Trailblazer1(m): 9:58am On May 13, 2015
Marriage of strange bed fellows undecided

Don't they ever learn from history?
The North and Southwest are just friendly enemies, who only unite to fight the Igbos and later go back into enmity when there are no Igbos to fight.

I don't mean any disrespect; but I've read the story of Awolowo and Abiola to lend credence to the truth that history always repeats itself.

I pity nairaland underage Apc praise singers undecided

227 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by yang(m): 10:27am On May 13, 2015
Why the Northerners no go just form their own country and rule am as they like?

23 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by chernest2002: 10:30am On May 13, 2015
The gate of confusion is loosed

12 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by simpleseyi: 10:38am On May 13, 2015
Trailblazer1:

The North and Southwest are just friendly enemies, who only unite to fight the Igbos and later go back into enmity when there are no Igbos to fight.

I don't mean any disrespect; but I've read the story of Awolowo and Abiola to lend credence to the truth that history always repeats itself.

Your loss in the last election is still giving you nightmares. With time you will get over it; probably when your principal fool Ebele Jonascam retires to his village you will all realised that the battle to save Nigeria from cluelessness has been won by Nigerians and loss by you TANoids.
Yorubas fight Ibos, Hausas fight Ibos, Ijaws fight Ibos, Ikweres fight Ibos, Kanuris fight Ibos, Fulanis fight Ibos. Na only una dey? Better check yourself before you all check into psychiatric hospital.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Blackfire(m): 10:45am On May 13, 2015
A storm is coming from the north.. Only if the sw,se,ss,mb comes together they can survive it. All 4 1, 1 4 all

5 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Nobody: 11:44am On May 13, 2015
Huhuhu...In Swahili, I laugh

4 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Rose2014: 11:50am On May 13, 2015
simpleseyi:

Your loss in the last election is still giving you nightmares. With time you will get over it; probably when your principal fool Ebele Jonascam retires to his village you will all realised that the battle to save Nigeria from cluelessness has been won by Nigerians and loss by you TANoids.
Yorubas fight Ibos, Hausas fight Ibos, Ijaws fight Ibos, Ikweres fight Ibos, Kanuris fight Ibos, Fulanis fight Ibos. Na only una dey? Better check yourself before you all check into psychiatric hospital.

What has Igbos got to do with what Saidu Mohammed dansadau, a northerner said?
Why is it that whenever your slave masters do something wrong to u, you turn around n blame Igbos? Smh

187 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by ahaz: 12:01pm On May 13, 2015
Trailblazer1:

my brother the same nIraland under age educated illustrates will still come here nd blame the Igbo over the comment of an hausa man. A times I begain to Co relate mugabes statement he made to the south Africans regarding their xenophobic stupidity as a statement dat suits the yorubas as I quote yorubas can afford to pull down the statue of an hausa man but cannot insult him in his face but can easily insult an Igbo man.

63 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by BlackTechnology: 12:16pm On May 13, 2015
Blackfire:
A storm is coming from the north..
Only if the sw,se,ss,mb comes together they can survive it.
All 4 1, 1 4 all

A storm is coming over Yorubaland

This change will hunt and hurt Yorubas

What befell Yorubas after the foolishness of Afonja Awolowo MKO will be child's play compare to the STORM coming.

Buhari

Prove us wrong that you are not

BABA ONE CHANCE

BABA HYPOCRITE

BABA MAGICIAN

Prove us wrong by probing

Tinubu OBJ Saraki Atiku Rochas Amaechi

Prove us wrong by probing the corrupt Federal Civil Service which is dominated by Tinubu's people

Sir

Tinubu's people voted you because they believe they can steal the oil wealth and presidency through you

They believe Tinubu through Osinbajo can control your government the way Idiagbon did

Sir

They do not believe in change because if they do, they would have voted you in 2007 and 2011

Remember that you are a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio

Remember that your ancestors never allowed the Oduduwas deceive them

WISE UP wink wink wink cool

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by lionduke(m): 12:22pm On May 13, 2015
Lol..... Yoruba's never see anything. Change they want, Change dey will see.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by edogirl2: 12:38pm On May 13, 2015
"Various initiatives have been put in place in order to see that northerners from wherever they are, from the 19 states, become one as far as voting is concerned. We are not saying 100 percent of northerners should be in one political party but that northerners should have one voice, they should decide and dictate the politics of Nigeria; like it has been before independence and even during the First Republic because of the numerical strength of the North.
But of recent we became divided so we became so vulnerable. But God in His infinite wisdom and mercy used the goodwill of General Muhammadu Buhari and we have gotten the kind of unity that we have been yearning for for so long. We have realised this dream now. So now that we have achieved the unity we long for because of Buhari’s goodwill, it is only fair that we now make some efforts to consolidate these gains because General Buhari will not be the president for ever. So that after him, we have consolidated on this goodwill and we will be able to grow this unity, political cooperation, electoral cooperation from strength to strength so that the North will as much as possible dictate the political landscape of the country and what happens in Nigeria as it used to do."

Nairaland SS and SE ill-informed youths jubilating and wanting the north to occupy both Senate Presidency and HoR speakership, can you see your life now.

You will rather have the North have the Presidency, Senate Presidency, House of Rep speakership, Chief Justice of the Federation (basically 4 of the top 5 positions in this country), just so you can spite the SW So, the well-planned complete and total northern domination that will affect your lives negatively does not bother you? grin

You note in his long rant, this northern man didn't show any consideration for the SE or SS, yet PDP representatives from this 2 regions are lining up to vote for northern domination now which will pave the way for long term 'northern unity' and thus long term northern domination. Exactly what this man say they have planned all along up north.

So, who is the slave now. The SW that wants to prevent this northern domination at all cost or SE and SS representatives that are lining up behind their northern PDP masters to the detriment of their regions' long term well being grin

15 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Eshinwaju: 12:41pm On May 13, 2015
iboes n petty jealousy........ grin grin grin...envy grin grin...let us wait for the final result n see who emerges...SW teaching SE politics since 1914... grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by BlackTechnology: 12:44pm On May 13, 2015
edogirl2:
"Various initiatives have been put in place in order to see that northerners from wherever they are, from the 19 states, become one as far as voting is concerned. We are not saying 100 percent of northerners should be in one political party but that northerners should have one voice, they should decide and dictate the politics of Nigeria; like it has been before independence and even during the First Republic because of the numerical strength of the North.
But of recent we became divided so we became so vulnerable. But God in His infinite wisdom and mercy used the goodwill of General Muhammadu Buhari and we have gotten the kind of unity that we have been yearning for for so long. We have realised this dream now. So now that we have achieved the unity we long for because of Buhari’s goodwill, it is only fair that we now make some efforts to consolidate these gains because General Buhari will not be the president for ever. So that after him, we have consolidated on this goodwill and we will be able to grow this unity, political cooperation, electoral cooperation from strength to strength so that the North will as much as possible dictate the political landscape of the country and what happens in Nigeria as it used to do."

Nairaland SS and SE ill-informed youths jubilating and wanting the north to occupy both Senate Presidency and HoR speakership, can you see your life now.

You will rather have the North have the Presidency, Senate Presidency, House of Rep speakership, Chief Justice of the Federation (basically 4 of the top 5 positions in this country), just so you can spite the SW So, the well-planned complete and total northern domination that will affect your lives negatively does not bother you? grin

You note in his long rant, this northern man didn't show any consideration for the SE or SS, yet PDP representatives from this 2 regions are lining up to vote for northern domination now which will pave the way for long term 'northern unity' and thus long term northern domination. Exactly what this man say they have planned all along up north.

So, who is the slave now. The SW that wants to prevent this northern domination at all cost or SE and SS representatives that are lining up behind their northern PDP masters to the detriment of their regions' long term well being grin

You guys think you will go free after 2015 treachery

That Northern domination will see you guys in the political dustbin of Nigeria

It is either you guys serve the North as loyal slaves or perish.

Buhari

BABA ONE CHANCE

Sir

Tinubu's people voted you because they believe they can steal the oil wealth and presidency through you

They believe Tinubu through Osinbajo can control your government the way Idiagbon did

Sir

They do not believe in change because if they do, they would have voted you in 2007 and 2011

Remember that you are a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio

Remember that your ancestors never allowed the Oduduwas deceive them

WISE UP wink wink wink cool

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by edogirl2: 12:45pm On May 13, 2015
Eshinwaju:
iboes n petty jealousy........ grin grin grin...envy grin grin...let us wait for the final result n see who emerges...SW teaching SE politics since 1914... grin

The whole thing just defies logic.

A senior Northern politician says publicly that giving the Senate Presidency and HoR speakership to 2 northern regions which have not always voted in unison with the feudal core north will help the entire north to unite for long term domination of the political space, and we have SE and SS representatives lining up to endorse this position?

O ma se o

11 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by bilulu(m): 12:49pm On May 13, 2015
Blackfire:
A storm is coming from the north..
Only if the sw,se,ss,mb comes together they can survive it.
All 4 1, 1 4 all
Why didn't u see d storm wen u all voted for a Fulani man...... now dat dey want all the power to themselves u want us to come together..... fa fa fa fowl

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Eshinwaju: 12:59pm On May 13, 2015
edogirl2:

A senior Northern politician says publicly that giving the Senate Presidency and HoR speakership to 2 northern regions which have not always voted in unison with the feudal core north will help the entire north to unite for long term domination of the political space, and we have SE and SS representatives lining up to endorse this position?

O ma se o

sweetie....its just petty jealousy......today as we speak.....there must be at least a hundred 12yr old boys getting on ekene dili chukwu....to come to SW or Edo sef....coming to sell gala on Ogbomosho, benin or lagos streets.... grin grin...some will be sitting here typing Biafra... grin..mad pipul... grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by BabaNath(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2015
So far my salary no go dey affected, e no concern me

2 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Gbawe: 1:03pm On May 13, 2015
edogirl2:

O ma se o

Right about now, they will even endorse Satan and his evil army taking over Nigeria if they can be promised that the Yorubas will suffer the most. As I have said before, the SE and SS should be careful going public with their hatred and resentment of the SW. They will be the long term losers of such a strategy of hate when the SW wake up to and begin to deliberately address this unrequited hatred from those we are nothing but hospitable and accommodating towards.

We will see who will lose out in the end. All the SW did was the responsible thing by voting out a misruler who was destroying Nigeria even as we must inform some hateful element that said misrulers still garnered healthy votes in the SW while they gave Buhari and the APC virtually nothing. If some ethnic jingoists and bigots now want to fight the SW for taking making electoral choices we are free to make, when they even gave the misruling GEJ virtually 100% figures, then I say bring it on !!! In life, It is pointless trying to pacify unreasonable people who operate with minds totally destroyed by hate. I therefore implore the bigots to do their worst.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 13, 2015
One poster implies that SE/SS needs to vote a SWestner to curb excessive power of the north..i laff plenty. The same people that voted a northner as a president as against their southern brother..una get mouth otolo oo

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by zik4ever: 1:15pm On May 13, 2015
I see a lot of hate comments between Igbos and Yorubas on the Internet which I think is uncalled for. The dynamics of the last election cannot be attributed to so-called conspiracy by any groups or regions alone. In Benue State, the people who ironically are mostly Christians voted the APC because they were literally 'mad' about the colossal failure of the PDP especially at the State level -my Uncle got his January salary recently. In Plateau, it was a revolt against perceived attempt by the Berom ethnic group to perpetuate itself in office. In Kaduna, even the Southern zone which traditionally votes for a Christian, had issues with the PDP including the State Governor and Vice President. Several Christians voted for Buhari and several Muslims voted for Jonathan. The elections were not perfect as in 100% but they largely reflected the wishes of the majority of Nigerians and should be so accepted and respected. Anyone who feels otherwise has a legitimate right to challenge the elections at the tribunal. The PDP simply mismanaged itself and its 2011 success. Irrespective of our individual preferences, we should wish the new Government well. Nigeria is in a big mess right now and we should move on!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 13, 2015
Ok
Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by youngice(m): 1:37pm On May 13, 2015
it is only in Nigeria where some statesman will openly incite tribalism and nepotism without out fear of the reprecussions
why should someone openly advocate bigotry on a national scale shocked shocked shocked
haba what is he high, on northern imperialism is already a serious issue no need to stoke the flames of chaos

5 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by brixton: 1:37pm On May 13, 2015
The SW made a political gaffe, now their northern masters are turning the tables and coming up with new calculations. The SS/SE will just sidon look and act like nothing is at stake... Remember it is an 'eye for an eye'.

This is the beginning of a long and interesting political battle.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Archilouis(m): 1:38pm On May 13, 2015
Enough said...

1 Like

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Built2last: 1:38pm On May 13, 2015
I smell trouble ahead, one shamsudeen has spoken and now Dansadau...if this is not well managed, then wahala is ahead.

I have said it that the Yoruba race is the only ember holding this country as one.

The day the Oduduwa children turn their back against the north, thats the end of Nigeria.

South South and South East is already at the brink...

The north should not push their supposed dominance too far

12 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by onosprince(m): 1:39pm On May 13, 2015
Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 13, 2015
South East are being envied the most... Success always follows the South Easterns.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by micktoxin(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2015
Well, judging my the slow progress of the southwest over the past ten years, I can't blame them for demanding for more.

3 Likes

Re: Speaker: South West Is Asking For Too Much — Dansadau by horlabiyi(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2015
I stopped reading the whole thing where they fool said the north should DECIDE and DICTATE the politics of NIGERIA. They are just scamming us with the six geo-political zone thingy. We have 3 major tribes Yoruba,Igbo and Hausa. Where was he when both Sambo and Tambuwal became VP & S.HOR, are they not northerners? Yes,but they will say they are not from the same geo-political zone which is a pure scam to deceive other tribes.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Resign Or Face Your Trial, FG Tells Ekweremadu And Saraki / Buhari's Next Level: The Influence Of Adams Oshiomhole In APC Dominance / Second Ikom Bridge In Cross River Completed (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.