Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36205 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 5:40pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Why outsource JAMB database to London?  

cos NEPA too dey take light!

Seriously, forget this web domain argument. You made an unbeleivable error which does not need any further argument.

Secondly, your demands for data analysis which doesn't apply to the data is unforgivable! As Debo rightly pointed out, nobody is going to give you raw data and tell you student's A's name, birthplace, preferred language and individual score etc.

The impracticality of asking me for that kind of analysis is not only astounding but a pig-headed attempt at creating an unnecessary argument. A data analyst should immediately be able to tell what kind of analysis can be applied to the data s/he is presented with. I can only put this unnecessary argument of yours down to one of two things (a.) a lack of practical data analysis experience or (b.) an attempt to make me look incompetent in the eyes of others who would not know what we are discussing. I noticed that rat Kobojunkie nodding in agreement to your argument like the proverbial blind extolling the virtues of the one-eyed man.

However, there is a deeper question to do with burden of proof. I only raise this because you claim to be a lawyer. I know nothing about law.

When you claim that something is fraudulent, who does the burden of proof lie with in a law court?

Debo pointed out that the burden of proof lies with you to provide a disclaimer from the JAMB website stating that the .php website is false. Either that, or you provide your own data, which contradicts the JAMB data.

This would be the simple thought process of any lawyer.

I have argued with 4Play many times and I have NEVER won a single argument. That is because he knows exactly how arguments and proofs should be presented as a lawyer. Its a shame I cannot say the same about you.

tkb417:

the schools that command the highest cut off points in 9ja are the SW unis and the states with the highest cut off points are usually Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti.
so where did u get ur IMO thingy from?

Fake Ghana man! this has nothing to do with the proficiency of SW students, but more to do with the DEMAND for school places in UniBen, UniLag, OAU etc. As long as these Universities are better funded, South Eastern students will flock there, increasing competition for places and increasing the barriers for entry.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 5:41pm On Feb 25, 2009
So I take it that you doubt the figures because you figure there's no way on earth Yorubas could be lagging behind Igbos in education?

Yorubas have lacked behind Igbos before.  If you continue to do the motion study going forward you will see that the performances will shift back and forth between regions.  If you have a performance over six year period that does not shift then your operation is "out-ofprocess" and someone should be asking tough questions.  This same principle of stastical analysis is employed in six sigma for controlling operational performance and output.  JAMB is a operation and is generating performance output so it is in line to question whether or not its report of six year performance in a static position is within process or if it's out of it.  

Do you know that JAMB also publishes the actual names of the highest scorers in their exams.
Would you also doubt it if the names happen to be non Yoruba?

In fact they have awards!  I am not at individual level, I am talking about datasets.  

No one is saying Yorubas are not going to school.
You have to accept that you are not the super education tribe as many of you have been programmed to believe.
Maybe in the 1960's and 1970's but not in today's Nigeria
I've often here many of you talk about Ekiti and professors in every family or Igbos only selling spare parts in Alaba
Have you been to Mbaise where you could have 9 children and all of them medical doctors and professors in Ife,Ibadan,Lagos,Uniben and UNTH?

I know, no one is saying we are not going to school.  You have to see regional comparison as a competition; it's a push and push and that's what I am engaged doing here.  Just few days ago I asked an Igbo person here that how could your people have lost all that gains and leadership you had pre-independence and shortly afterward and yet the general discussion is focused on war, instead of reclaiming those powers through concrete and practical transformations?  I do not doubt SE strengths but I will be a bastard to surrender Yoruba response without a gallant challenge.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:42pm On Feb 25, 2009
[quote[b]]Cross River[/b] and Bayelsa are the only states that are ELDS in the south.[quote][/quote]

Afaukwu are u sure about this? undecided
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:44pm On Feb 25, 2009
asha 80:

Afaukwu are u sure about this? undecided

Yes. Ebonyi is lagging behind among the Igbo states but it is not classifid as ELDS
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 5:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
Afaukwu:

Get off your fake high horse. Provide the data to back your claim. Nobody can undermine the impact of Imo and Anambra when it comes to education in Nigeria.

What impact?? Are you high on cheap spliffs??
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
Just few days ago I asked an Igbo person here that how could your people have lost all that gains and leadership you had pre-independence and shortly afterward and yet the general discussion is focused on war, instead of reclaiming those powers through concrete and practical transformations?  I do not doubt SE strengths but I will be a bastard to surrender Yoruba response without a gallant challenge.  

My guy a war occured and igbos lost a lot during the war.You think it is easy to comeback after that.

If you want to challenge anything challenge your guys to start taking education seriously as they used to .
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Becomrrich: 5:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
Debosky, this figure on wikipedia, where not the figure I posted.

And I was never bias on the satellite picture, I can prove it. I have said if given the chances to stand before the Nigeria senate and house of representative. I am willing to disprove the nigeria census figures. I also have a copy of NASA satellite pictures too.

The south is more than the North and The south west is 3 or 4 time the population of the south east. And Former bendle state  is closed to the number of house with the south east.  This is the reason the south east is leading in everything because they get more money per head than south west and the south south.

And Ibimi., The Ijaw people are more closer to Yorubas than the igbo in history. The ijaw people claim to come from Ile Ife. One prince Ujo from Otu Ife( ile ife) Adimu or Adumu ( adimula or oduduwa). check Ijaw history on the internet. Most ijaws do not know thier own history. Ogu or ogun is also an Ijaw god and yoruba god.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 5:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
This is getting interestiner. Thanks Debosky and Ibime. You two are very knowledgeable. As for studying overseas, it is difficult to point at any tribe as dominating. However, the Yoruba and Igbo are far ahead of others in oversea university attendance. I did my second and third degrees in two different European countries, and it is  usually a preponderant of Igbo and Yoruba, and a sprinkling of Edo, Delta and Akwa Ibom sudents that you find around. I am not conversant with the scenario in US and Canada, but I doubt it will be any different.
Because their population are higher compared to others you mentioned. If you take samples and compare them accordingly, you may be surprised they are not lower than you. Again, hausas prefer universities in the middle east to western universities so, don't count them out.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2009
@Becomrich
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2009
I would definitely believe that Bayelsa is an ELDS, because they lack infrastructure and accessible schools. However Bayelsa's test scores would be comparable with any as we have seen, because Bayelsans in PH would elevate their average scores. However Bayelsa itself needs a lot of investment in education, better schools, more teachers, better security and lower barriers to entry. Bayelsa has never been anything more than a collection of villages, with no proper urban centres.

As for Cross River, I am not sure about that. Calabar people used to go to school well well back in those days, but they have been largely marginalised and neglected by FG.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 5:51pm On Feb 25, 2009
@Negro,
When did Yorubas know how to spell slate?. Many professors in Nigeria pre Biafran war were igbos.  Yorubas closed in on igbos in education because during the Biafran war, igbos were out of school for at least 3 years. After thea, recuperating from war was not easy and it took another two years for them to pick up momentum again. the first professor in Nigeria is from calabar(Eyo Ita). First vice chancellors in  4 Nigeria's premier universities were igbos( UI, Unilag, UNN and  ABU). Go figure.

Vice Cancellorship is not the yardstick of measuring regional academic success.  You wouldn't use Nobel price as a yardstick of measure that Yorubas are more literary than any other ethnic tribe in Nigeria, would you?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tkb417(m): 5:53pm On Feb 25, 2009
Fake Ghana man! this has nothing to do with the proficiency of SW students, but more to do with the DEMAND for school places in UniBen, UniLag, OAU etc. As long as these Universities are better funded, South Eastern students will flock there, increasing competition for places and increasing the barriers for entry
fake Togo man!!!
what points have you made??
i just tried to enlighten the man with the IMO thingy how untrue his post was. If this whole shebang is about the number of enrolment, then why cant i push the case for the states that have been commanding the highest cut off points?

If cut off points have nothing to do with the proficiency of those that are scoring the points, then take some pill and sleep
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 25, 2009
enough already   angry
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 5:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Vice Cancellorship is not the yardstick of measuring regional academic success.  You wouldn't use Nobel price as a yardstick of measure that Yorubas are more literary than any other ethnic tribe in Nigeria, would you?

Touche. . . . .

Some people think with the sole of their feet.
Vice Chancellors are Professors. . . . . .It's an appointed post so any Professor in a citadel of learning interested can be appointed.
The way some peops ptyalise unadulterated prattle here is staggering.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 5:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
enough already
I wonder.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2009
Ibime:

I would definitely believe that Bayelsa is an ELDS, because they lack infrastructure and accessible schools. However Bayelsa's test scores would be comparable with any as we have seen, because Bayelsans in PH would elevate their average scores. However Bayelsa itself needs a lot of investment in education, better schools, more teachers, better security and lower barriers to entry. Bayelsa has never been anything more than a collection of villages, with no proper urban centres.

As for Cross River, I am not sure about that. Calabar people used to go to school well well back in those days, but they have been largely marginalised and neglected by FG.

With the state creation,most of the  educated people we called Calabar are actually from Akwa Ibom and Akwa Ibomites are more educationally advanced than Cross River just like Ebonyi has lower test scores than Anambra and Imo
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2009
However, there is a deeper question to do with burden of proof. I only raise this because you claim to be a lawyer. I know nothing about law.

Woooo shocked  That's new!  I have never said I am a lawyer.  In fact, I have never said what I am.  Unless the discussion is a subject matter topic everyone should have basic understanding to discuss across aspects of daily life and interests.  There is a level in statistics beyond which I will never argue with anyone - when it comes to ANoVA (Analysis of Variance), I have an idea of what it constitutes but the degree of data sequencing and array match is consuming.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Naaah, Debo, you have serious issue with your sense of elitism, come down to earth for a moment, get out of the clouds.

Ponder on this for a moment and then run the steps if you want.

On the jamb.org.ng website, how would you know to transit to the jambng.com?  How many people go to a website and start clicking on logo?  Nobody!  Web pages are chained together by hypertext linkage so that if you are going from one to the other then a distinct label tells you precisely to click and you will be transferred.  On the .org.ng page, there is no such distinction of where to press to transit.  So assume that I have never visited the .com site before and I go to the .org.ng site, help guide me, Mr eloquence, to transit to my target page.  

People don't go foraying into logos for chain links, okay?  That is not in protocol with web usage.  

1. Transitions are made possible via hypertext linkage.
2. [b]Logo is a trademark and not a link [/b]and unless there is a ulterior motive behind the goal, the linkage from .org.ng to .com would have been properly labeled and not hidden subtly in a logo.
For someone who didn't know what php was a few moments ago now masquerading as web guru, I am very impressed.  grin

The points you have stated are moot - The two are stand alone systems, completely unrelated. Secondly, one is completely commercial in outlook and is likely administered by the banks or whoever runs the scratch card program, INDEPENDENT of the remaining JAMB structure and simply remits data to JAMB at intervals.

Once again you exhibit your ignorance - stop claiming to understand something you are clueless about.
Visit www.bp.com and click on the logo, it is a link returning you to the HOME PAGE, ditto for www.ubc.ca and www.pg.com. Once again, you've shown shocking ignorance and are completely out of your depth.

I am far more dissapointed in your lack of vision to perceive the prospects of "what if Negro is right"!  People have witnessed for your sense of balance, all I see is imbalance and is dissapointing.

None!  But when stastistical data is reported you are always given a "READ ME" page, outlining the definitions and terms.  This report lacks one.
Where is the READ ME page on the GRE data I posted? Please show me. I have given numerous examples from different sources to buttress my claim, all you do is engage in wild speculation with no iota of proof. GRE stats do not have a read me page - are they invalid too?

The other is the .com with London address. . .and of all places to host its official website, and reports database, JAMB has chosen an open domain located in London, is that correct?  Do you not see it fit to even question the prudence in that move?  JAMB should have its own in-house servers with Nigerian IT graduates in gainful employment to manage the proprietary security of the archives.  You see, you lack vision!  True you are eloquent but you are not asking questions here.  Why outsource JAMB database to London?  

How many Nigerian websites are hosted locally? What if the company that hosts the website is DOMICILED in London but has actual servers in Nigeria? Or must all their servers be hosted in the LONDON location?

Try and engage in a coherent discussion for once - is the issue here the hosting location of JAMB's data or the veracity of the information? If you want to discuss internet development and IT management of government parastatals, open a separate thread for that. You have no proof that rigorous data privacy and quality checks are absent within the current configuration, so in this sense, your point is again MOOT.

I am not questioning the head.  If the database is archived on a domain server in London, what does it matter who heads JAMB, heck, might as well put a white Briton to head it!   I am questioning reliability on the data presented to us in NL and credited to JAMB.   I don't have to back anything up, I only need to question and if the proponents believe much in what they are pushing then they will provide clear evidence for their accuracy.  I have raised enough questions around the administration of the websites and the database to justify a query of the source of the data.  You are not asking questions. . . you are acquiescing to the claim.

You can as well claim Obama shagged Michelle Jean (Canada's Governor General) because he was in Canada and you weren't at Rideau Hall to confirm where he slept.  grin
Pointless and baseless questions cannot be treated seriously.

Two posers - is the LOCATION of the database now the determinant of it's integrity? Once again you confuse yourself. You have said already that you HAVE NO ACCESS to the DATABASE from the website, so when did it get 'archived' on a domain server in London?   Let's even end another one of your wild goose chases- DNET SYSTEMS has a LAGOS OFFICE and that is the main source of it's operations

Dnet Systems Ltd

223, Ikorodu Road,
Ilupeju, Lagos,
Nigeria.

http://www.dnetsystems.net/contactus.aspx

Kindly invent another excuse.

Like I said to Osisi, this is not a strange method of pushing agendas at all, it was done before; by Northerners!  Wake up and come out of your ivory cloud Debo.  
So what if it was done by Northerners before now? The Supreme court of the US once made racial declarations - will I now ASSUME that EVERY judgment made now is racial?  

You have provided ZERO proof of any distortions to this data - no alternative data, no refuting auxilliary information, no analysis of your own. You have engaged in IDLE speculation all day long.

The data could be wrong and Brad Pitt could be my cousin  grin but with no proof, speculation is baseless.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
Becomrrich:

Debosky, this figure on wikipedia, where not the figure I posted.

And I was never bias on the satellite picture, I can prove it. I have said if given the chances to stand before the Nigeria senate and house of representative. I am willing to disprove the nigeria census figures. I also have a copy of NASA satellite pictures too.

The south is more than the North and The south west is 3 or 4 time the population of the south east. And Former bendle state  is closed to the number of house with the south east.  This is the reason the south east is leading in everything because they get more money per head than south west and the south south.

And Ibimi., The Ijaw people are more closer to Yorubas than the igbo in history. The ijaw people claim to come from Ile Ife. One prince Ujo from Otu Ife( ile ife) Adimu or Adumu ( adimula or oduduwa). check Ijaw history on the internet. Most ijaws do not know thier own history. Ogu or ogun is also an Ijaw god and yoruba god.

Chineke God of Uzuakoli! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
becomerrich,where did that one come from?
money from who to who?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2009
@ Debosky,

Always endeavour to shorten your epistle to the Romans. . . .
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Abagworo(m): 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2009
@atk417.cut off marks are determined by the number of applicants into a particular university in order to streamline the no of people per course.indigenes are usually given the advantage of lower cut off mark.an imo person studying english in lasu must have entered lasu with higher scores than a lagos indigene.

@becomerich.i'm happy that you 've reduced ur rate of map posting to prove that southeast is less populated because they are contradictory.i saw one of ur posts comparing epe with umunoha and laughed.umunoha was glaringly much bigger and populated than epe but u circled a small part of the village.what i notice from ur pix is that the entire southeast is built up while southwest has empty lands with pockets of settlements.so stop posting those pix cause they contradict ur points.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:06pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro nts,

I know it's not easy to accept sometimes that one is talking a whole bunch of nonsense.
If I were you I'll move on.
Your arguments make no sense whatsoever
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 6:08pm On Feb 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

@ Debosky,

Always endeavour to shorten your epistle to the Romans. . . .

grin grin

It's not my fault, Negro cannot understand a post unless it's more than 200 words grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tkb417(m): 6:12pm On Feb 25, 2009
@ Debosky,

Always endeavour to shorten your epistle to the Romans.

now i know what he does in his company. he likes to write sha. na wa

atk417.cut off marks are determined by the number of applicants into a particular university in order to streamline the no of people per course.indigenes are usually given the advantage of lower cut off mark.an imo person studying english in lasu must have entered lasu with higher scores than a lagos indigene.
Ure stating the obvious. If an Ogun indigene tries to enter an eastern school, he'll probably need to score more than the indigene.

however, go to the FED schools that admit on merit, some states are known to always command a higher cut off in this country. IMO isnt part of the states.
my points!!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 6:13pm On Feb 25, 2009
Thread locked.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

He invented grammar, what do you expect??

Ure stating the obvious. If an Ogun indigene tries to enter an eastern school, he'll probably need to score more than the indigene.

however, go to the FED schools that admit on merit, some states are known to always command a higher cut off in this country. IMO isnt part of the states.
my points!!

IMSU or FUTO are 3rd generation Universities.
You cannot compare em to 1st generation Universities like UNN, OAU, UI etc.
It seems some Nigerians don't know there's a coded Ivy league in Nigeria.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by grafikdon: 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2009
St.Funmi:

Thread locked.

Yeah. . . Osama Bin Laden is the Mayor of New York  tongue
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:17pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

my points!!

That is a lie!
Schools set their cut off based on the scores of the applicants not their names or  state of origin.
The top scorer get in
period!
The supplementary lists and all the other mago mago lists are something else.
whre do people get all these lies from?

but then I went to school way back in the 90's
Things may have changed
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 6:17pm On Feb 25, 2009
my points!!

keep deceiving yourself.

@tkb417

Let me ask you a question.If i am born and brought up in ibadan of imo parents will you consider as someone from oyo or someone from imo state?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:18pm On Feb 25, 2009

my points!!

Do you even know how the catchment area thing works in Nigeria?. There is no way an Ogun indigene will be required to score higher than an imo indigene for a federal university in imo, say FUTO. Same thing happens vice versa , an  Oyo/SW  indigene trying to enter UI medical school may be required to score higher than an Enugu indigene fighting for the same course in UI. In UNN, an Hausa student may score 220 in jamb those days and get admission to study electronic engineering while an Enugu indigene that scored 260 will not be admitted. Check your facts before you write them.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

my points!!

And what happens if an Imo indigene wants to enter a western school?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:22pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Do you even know how the catchment area thing works in Nigeria?. There is no way an Ogun indigene will be required to score higher than an imo indigene for a federal university in imo, say FUTO. Same thing happens vice versa , an  Oyo/SW  indigene trying to enter UI medical school may be required to score higher than an Enugu indigene fighting for the same course in UI. In UNN, an Hausa student may score 220 in jamb those days and get admission to study electronic engineering while an Enugu indigene that scored 260 will not be admitted. Check your facts before you write them.

Enugu is not considered a disadvantaged state so that will not apply.
But the Northern states came in with lower scores with the disadvantaged area nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / Adelakun Adenike, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Pharmacy Student / Jenifa's Diary English: A Project Topic In OAU (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.