Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,402 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36204 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tkb417(m): 6:24pm On Feb 25, 2009
illl deal with the responses one after the other grin

That is a lie!
Schools set their cut off based on the scores of the applicants not their names or  state of origin.
The top scorer get in
period!
The supplementary lists and all the other mago mago lists are something else.
whre do people get all these lies from?
and thats a white lie!!!
Read well b4 u respond anty. The man gave an instance of an eaterner coming to lasu to study
For an Easterer to be considered before the indigenes, then he'll need to outfox the indigenes with a high score!

but then I went to school way back in the 90's
Things may have changed
maybe maybe not. just confirm
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:24pm On Feb 25, 2009
Vice Cancellorship is not the yardstick of measuring regional academic success.  You wouldn't use Nobel price as a yardstick of measure that Yorubas are more literary than any other ethnic tribe in Nigeria, would you?
Of course you are right. But it will give you an idea of the distribution of professors back in the days when they were few. These days, every community has at least one and its no more a big deal.

Wole soyinkas nobel prize sure is a big deal because how many people have it in Nigeria or even west africa. It may not be a big deal to an average American because every state has produced at least one Nobel prize winner before. If you look at it well, it may not be a measure of academic success but it gives you an insight of how far people have gone yet in todays Nigerian academic structure. If you doubt it, go get your Nobel.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:25pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Do you even know how the catchment area thing works in Nigeria?. There is no way an Ogun indigene will be required to score higher than an imo indigene for a federal university in imo, say FUTO. Same thing happens vice versa , an  Oyo/SW  indigene trying to enter UI medical school may be required to score higher than an Enugu indigene fighting for the same course in UI. In UNN, an Hausa student may score 220 in jamb those days and get admission to study electronic engineering while an Enugu indigene that scored 260 will not be admitted. Check your facts before you write them.

What a heap of applesauce. . . . .

An Ogun indigene will be required to score more than an Imo indigene because of catchment area.
For instance, if the cut off mark for non-indigenes of Imo State is 260 for Medicine, the cut off marks for indigenes and neighbouring states would be around 255. An Ogun Indigene scoring 256 might not be admitted. Thatz the way catchment area works.
It's a way of giving the indigenes and their neighbours an extra advantage than the non-indigenes.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:26pm On Feb 25, 2009
For an Easterer to be considered before the indigenes, then he'll need to outfox the indigenes with a high score!

True for state universities but not for federal universities. Which village state school did you attend sef? cheesy cheesy
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:27pm On Feb 25, 2009
From my little experience on this forum, many of our Yoruba friends have never left Yoruba land except the few that are forced to do so for NYSC.
They are born,bred and buried in Yorubaland and so were most of their fathers and grandfathers and have absolutely no clue what happens outside of Yorubaland and that's why they argue the way they do and cling unto age old myths.
Some of you need to hop on ABC buses once in a while and travel to other areas in Nigeria.
It may help.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:30pm On Feb 25, 2009
An Ogun indigene will be required to score more than an Imo indigene because of catchment area.
For instance, if the cut off mark for non-indigenes of Imo State is 260 for Medicine, the cut off marks for indigenes and neighbouring states would be around 255. An Ogun Indigene scoring 256 might not be admitted. Thatz the way catchment area works.
It's a way of giving the indigenes and their neighbours an extra advantage than the non-indigenes.
Its a lie. If that is true, how come Northerners score less than easterners to  gain admission into eastern schools for the same course. Federal schools in nigeria have quotas and if you've filled your quota, you can only get in through a marginally high score. Some states like Zamfara may have an unfilled quota at Unilag and they usually fill it with non Zamfara indigenes because there was none to claim it. YOu as a yoruba man may score 280 and still won't get admitted to study law in Unilag but a Sokoto man will still get in that same unilag for the same course with a 240 score. Ask questions.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 6:32pm On Feb 25, 2009
From my little experience on this forum, many of our Yoruba friends have never left Yoruba land except the few that are forced to do so for NYSC.
They are born,bred and buried in Yorubaland and so were most of their fathers and grandfathers and have absolutely no clue what happens outside of Yorubaland and that's why they argue the way they do and cling unto age old myths.
Some of you need to hop on ABC buses once in a while and travel to other areas in Nigeria.
It may help.

Maybe that is the reason debosky seems to be making more sense than them undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 6:33pm On Feb 25, 2009
For someone who didn't know what php was a few moments ago now masquerading as web guru, I am very impressed.

Admitting error is a strength, not a weakness and standing by your convinction is even a greater strength.  But, why would I expect you to know that. . .you ability to forethink is shallow and you retreated.  

The points you have stated are moot - The two are stand alone systems, completely unrelated. Secondly, one is completely commercial in outlook and is likely administered by the banks or whoever runs the scratch card program, INDEPENDENT of the remaining JAMB structure and simply remits data to JAMB at intervals

Stand alone or cascaded, what's the difference?.  You stated they are linked and the .org.ng runs the money and the .com (London) runs the database.  Explain your sense of security for an examination testing and performance database outsourced to an independent public domain based in London.  Did you not see the IP address?  

Once again you exhibit your ignorance - stop claiming to understand something you are clueless about.

Again, vision!  Foresight and the ability to anticipate possibilities and to ask the proper questions in a move to reconcile claims or concerns.  This is a characteristic of leadership.  You addressed vaguely the parameters in the beginning and you were not satisfied with the answers that were provided, you had doubts.  But I guess you didn't want to be perceived as ruffling feathers. . ."oh, you know I am educated and it is not polite to push further and irritate sentiments, educated people don't do that".  Bul-sh-t!!!   That's really my reason for jumping in. . .when I saw you backed off.   Go back to the beginning and see what you wrote on the first two pages, and see how I kept referencing your questions as I continued the argument.  You dissapointed, you acquiesced, you retreated, you surrendered.  Debo, please go and sit in romance section with your soft platitude!  Leave Politics to those of us on all sides, SE, SW, NE, NW, and wherever else that have the passion to endure the ego and are willing to rock each other's boat.  I know one thing, I am a good custodian and the SW boat is not going to capsize under my watch.  Call it whatyou may, conspiracy, dogma,. . .yeah, I got a boatload of it and I'm not a quitter!   grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:34pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Its a lie. If that is true, how come Northerners score less than easterners to  gain admission into eastern schools for the same course. Federal schools in nigeria have quotas and if you've filled your quota, you can only get in through a marginally high score. Some states like Zamfara may have an unfilled quota at Unilag and they usually fill it with non Zamfara indigenes because there was none to claim it. YOu as a yoruba man may score 280 and still won't get admitted to study law in Unilag but a Sokoto man will still get in that same unilag for the same course with a 240 score. Ask questions.

Because most Northen candidates fall under the ELDS(Educationally less developed states).
According to the Federal Governement. . . . .the candidates from these states are retarded in educational development.

JAMB system of admission into higher institutions particularly the first generation universities (Ibadan, Ife, Lagos, Zaria, Nsukka and Benin) is classified into three broad categories:

1. The Merit List includes the potential students who sat for and met the stipulated cut-off mark for a particular course of study. It accounts for 45% of the candidates admitted for each course.

2. The Catchment's Area (Locality) takes up 35% of the overall admission into each course. It takes care of candidates that live in the area where the university is located together with some affiliated areas. The Catchment's Area is determined every year by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

3. Educationally Less Developed States. This takes care of students from states which are considered to be educationally disadvantaged (retarded in educational development). JAMB admits 20% of the potential students from such states into the university (University of Benin Admissions Report, 2003).

For the second generation of Nigerian universities: that is, the second batch of seven (Bayero (Kano), Sokoto, Jos, Ilorin, Port Harcourt, Calabar and Maiduguri) admission criteria are classified as follows:

a) 40% on merit (from all the states of the federation).

b) 30% for catchment's areas

c) 20% for educationally disadvantaged states

d) 10% for the discretion of the institution.

The third generation universities which are the Federal Universities of Technology located at Minna, Owerri, Akure and Yola adopt the following:

a) 20% for Catchment area.

b) 80% for discretion of the institution with a view to including all the states of the federation.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by RichyBlacK(m): 6:34pm On Feb 25, 2009
My God!

This thread is da shitzzle!!!

The discourse is hyper-interesting! There are tons of us reading and gasping! smiley
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:35pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

illl deal with the responses one after the other grin
and thats a white lie!!!
Read well b4 u respond anty. The man gave an instance of an eaterner coming to lasu to study
For an Easterer to be considered before the indigenes, then he'll need to outfox the indigenes with a high score!maybe maybe not. just confirm

This argument is actually "beyond me" because back in my days if you didn't go to Ife.Ibadan.Unilag or UNN , (and UNIBEN to some extent) you went to a backyard school.
period!
State schools was where people who did badly in JAMB went to
They didn't talk where those that went to proper schools talked
Someone in med school at Calabar and Uniport were considered inferior to someone who went to Nsukka or UI
Not now with state universities all over the place,polytechnics and colleges of agric becoming universities and even private universities for dunces
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:38pm On Feb 25, 2009
This argument is actually "beyond me" because back in my days if you didn't go to Ife.Ibadan.Unilag or UNN , (and UNIBEN to some extent) you went to a backyard school.
period!
And ABU Zaria.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:40pm On Feb 25, 2009
**osisi:

They didn't talk where those that went to proper schools talked
Someone in med school at Calabar and Uniport were considered inferior to someone who went to Nsukka or UI
Not now with state universities all over the place,polytechnics and colleges of agric becoming universities and even private universities for dunces

But employers are still interested in the schools applicants attended.
U can never take that away. . . . .There are schools and there are SCHOOLS!!!!
A 3rd class student in Engineering in OAU is smarter than a first class student in IMSU.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:40pm On Feb 25, 2009
Because most Northen candidates fall under the ELDS(Educationally less developed states).
According to the Federal Governement. . . . .the candidates from these states are retarded in educational development.

JAMB system of admission into higher institutions particularly the first generation universities (Ibadan, Ife, Lagos, Zaria, Nsukka and Benin) is classified into three broad categories:

1. The Merit List includes the potential students who sat for and met the stipulated cut-off mark for a particular course of study. It accounts for 45% of the candidates admitted for each course.

2. The Catchment's Area (Locality) takes up 35% of the overall admission into each course. It takes care of candidates that live in the area where the university is located together with some affiliated areas. The Catchment's Area is determined every year by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

3. Educationally Less Developed States. This takes care of students from states which are considered to be educationally disadvantaged (retarded in educational development). JAMB admits 20% of the potential students from such states into the university (University of Benin Admissions Report, 2003).

For the second generation of Nigerian universities: that is, the second batch of seven (Bayero (Kano), Sokoto, Jos, Ilorin, Port Harcourt, Calabar and Maiduguri) admission criteria are classified as follows:

a) 40% on merit (from all the states of the federation).

b) 30% for catchment's areas

c) 20% for educationally disadvantaged states

d) 10% for the discretion of the institution.

The third generation universities which are the Federal Universities of Technology located at Minna, Owerri, Akure and Yola adopt the following:

a) 20% for Catchment area.

b) 80% for discretion of the institution with a view to including all the states of the federation.
Okay because I have my igbo brothers that lied their way into UNN by claiming Sokoto state as their state of origin.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2009

Trust me, not anymore in todays Nigeria. Na who you sabi.   Nowadys, those schools only help you get quicker accreditation abroad if you want to write a professional licensing exam.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

And ABU Zaria.

yes
all those other Unical,ado Bayero and LASU were glorified secondary schools back in the late eighties and early nineties.
"better people" didn't even look at those places
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:45pm On Feb 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

A 3rd class student in Engineering in OAU is smarter than a first class student in IMSU.

Just like a 3rd class biology graduate from Nsukka will be better than a Ist class one from Ago Iwoye?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
Debosky, this figure on wikipedia, where not the figure I posted.

And I was never bias on the satellite picture, I can prove it. I have said if given the chances to stand before the Nigeria senate and house of representative. I am willing to disprove the nigeria census figures. I also have a copy of NASA satellite pictures too.
Gbana in action.

The south is more than the North and The south west is 3 or 4 time the population of the south east. And Former bendle state is closed to the number of house with the south east. This is the reason the south east is leading in everything because they get more money per head than south west and the south south.

And Ibimi., The Ijaw people are more closer to Yorubas than the igbo in history. The ijaw people claim to come from Ile Ife. One prince Ujo from Otu Ife( ile ife) Adimu or Adumu ( adimula or oduduwa). check Ijaw history on the internet. Most ijaws do not know thier own history. Ogu or ogun is also an Ijaw god and yoruba god.
Please stop carrying unsubstantiated rumours here. The SE is wallowing in poverty like every other region in Nigeria.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:49pm On Feb 25, 2009
Afaukwu:

Just like a 3rd class biology graduate from Nsukka will be better than a Ist class one from Ago Iwoye?

Of course.
Ago Iwoye is a glorified secondary school. . . . .
Many of these glorified secondary school graduates feel inferior during the NYSC camp when they see students from Federal Universities. grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 6:51pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Trust me, not anymore in todays Nigeria. Na who you sabi.   Nowadys, those schools only help you get quicker accreditation abroad if you want to write a professional licensing exam.

Exactly
Sauron has said this before.
a 2 1 at ABSU will be shorlisted for an interview at shell and Mobil  before a 22 from UI
That is a reality.

Other Nigerian companies like banks and co depends on who you know.
Nothing is by merit
They may hire a girl with a 3rd class in Igbo Igbo BK with a 36DD cup from ESUT before a first class Banking and Finance from UNILAG
That is the reality in Nigeria
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
Many of these glorified secondary school graduates feel inferior during the NYSC camp when they see students from Federal Universities.
Dey there. I will give an Igo iwoye graduate with 36 DD cup employment before you with your first class mathematics degree from UNN. Ask Oyb how he employs in his engineering firm.grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 6:56pm On Feb 25, 2009
**osisi:

Exactly
Sauron has said this before.
a 2 1 at ABSU will be shorlisted for an interview at shell and Mobil  before a 22 from UI
That is a reality.

Unless the 2.2 student from UI bought his certificate.
A 2.1 student who has prolly never seen a router before will outscore a 2.2 student in UI?? Na yam??
Many of those state schools don't know jerk about practicals. They can only analyse theoretically.

Other Nigerian companies like banks and co depends on who you know.
Nothing is by merit
They may hire a girl with a 3rd class in Igbo Igbo BK with a 36DD cup from ESUT before a first class Banking and Finance from UNILAG

Of course. . . . . . .I understand this other schitzo.
All i am saying is. . . .all things being equal, 2 gurls with 36DD cup, one from Igbo Igbo BK and the other from UNILAG. . . .Who is more likely to be given a job??

Aloy.Emeka:

Dey there. I will give an Igo iwoye graduate with 36 DD cup employment before you with your first class mathematics degree from UNN. Ask Oyb how he employs in his engineering firm.grin grin

Little wonder there's no development in Nigeria with half-baked graduates crawling around huge organisations.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 6:58pm On Feb 25, 2009
All i am saying is. . . .all things being equal, 2 gurls with 36DD cup, one from Igbo Igbo BK and the other from UNILAG. . . .Who is more likely to be given a job??
The one that exposed her cup more and not a deeper life graduate.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
Osisi and all, I beg how is the employment opportunity for ovesea grads at the 3rd degree level in Nigeria. Just graduated and thinking of coming back for a f[b]ew[/b] years before taking off again. Where person fit work for naija with a PhD in Applied Microbiology (Biotechnology)?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

The one that exposed her cup more and not a deeper life graduate.

I said all things being EQUAL. . . . .

It means they showed the same area of flesh, have the same orientation and are both pretty in the same way.
The only contrast is the schools they attended. One from UNILAG and the 2nd one is an Mgbeke from IMSU.
Who would get the job??
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
Of course you are right. But it will give you an idea of the distribution of professors back in the days when they were few. These days, every community has at least one and its no more a big deal.

Wole soyinkas nobel prize sure is a big deal because how many people have it in Nigeria or even west africa. It may not be a big deal to an average American because every state has produced at least one Nobel prize winner before. If you look at it well, it may not be a measure of academic success but it gives you an insight of how far people have gone yet in todays Nigerian academic structure. If you doubt it, go get your Nobel.

Aloy,

There are only three sections in NL that are hotbeds of discussions and if I rank them it will be (1) Religion; (2) Politics and (3) Culture.  

The lesson I take from here is that our collissions in these discussions end up providing answers and clarity to me for why Nigeria as a country has not progressed much.  We in NL and our participation, positively or negatively provide unintended feedback and I must tell you that we are lucky.  What we go through here are the same sentiments that on the ground and in a face to face encounter would escalate and lead to bloodshed.  We engage and confront and call each other out. . .our leaders do not have that privilege. . .they would love to but they can't.   I wish it was possible for them to get on the web and face each other the way we do, . . when people cannot bypass one another and are forced into an encounter they find solutions to their problems.   Academy has tuned us out from listening attentively to one another. . .we gained IQ at the expense of EQ.  Education is good but when pursued at par with adoration for human values.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 7:01pm On Feb 25, 2009

Osisi and all, I beg how is the employment opportunity for ovesea grads at the 3rd degree level in Nigeria. Just graduated and thinking of coming back for a few years before taking off again. Where person[b] fit work for naija with a PhD in Applied Microbiology (Biotechnology)?[/b]
Water cooperation or LASTMA. Hospitals, oil development coys or universities/tertiary inst may need you but dem too dey look for boobs now before dem hire.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 7:02pm On Feb 25, 2009
Afaukwu:

Osisi and all, I beg how is the employment opportunity for ovesea grads at the 3rd degree level in Nigeria. Just graduated and thinking of coming back for a f[b]ew[/b] years before taking off again. Where person fit work for naija with a PhD in Applied Microbiology (Biotechnology)?

Hi afaukwu,this is lateesha wink
I dey US
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 7:05pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Water cooperation or LASTMA.

Or Promise Pure Water Ventures Ltd. grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 7:05pm On Feb 25, 2009
Aloy,

There are only three sections in NL that are hotbeds of discussions and if I rank them it will be (1) Religion; (2) Politics and (3) Culture.

The lesson I take from here is that our collissions in these discussions end up providing answers and clarity to me for why Nigeria as a country has not progressed much. We in NL and our participation, positively or negatively provide unintended feedback and I must tell you that we are lucky. What we go through here are the same sentiments that on the ground and in a face to face encounter would escalate and lead to bloodshed. We engage and confront and call each other out. . .our leaders do not have that privilege. . .they would love to but they can't. I wish it was possible for them to get on the web and face each other the way we do, . . when people cannot bypass one another and are forced into an encounter they find solutions to their problems. Academy has tuned us out from listening attentively to one another. . .we gained IQ at the expense of EQ. Education is good but when pursued at par with adoration for human values.
The sad truth.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 7:06pm On Feb 25, 2009
**osisi:

Hi afaukwu,this is lateesha wink
I dey US

Hahahaha. Agu nwayi. Sorry, I think say you be home made.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 7:06pm On Feb 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

I said all things being EQUAL. . . . .

It means they showed the same area of flesh, have the same orientation and are both pretty in the same way.
The only contrast is the schools they attended. One from UNILAG and the 2nd one is an Mgbeke from IMSU.
Who would get the job??

If the employer went to neither of those schools, he may not care.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / Adelakun Adenike, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Pharmacy Student / Jenifa's Diary English: A Project Topic In OAU (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.