Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36200 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 12:36pm On Feb 25, 2009
BabaTony:

1. Are the statistics reeled out here based on the states of origin of the candidates or states where the students where registered?
2. Should the statistics be based on number of candidates or the percentage of the total population of that state or tribe?
3. Will this arguement move us in  Nigeria forwad or backward?

(1.) States of origin

(2.) We cannot trust Naija census stats, so it is futile to start looking at ratios of successful students to population stats. The only comparison we can make is percentage pass rates in each state.

(3.) Yes, because it should tell us which states need more investment in education. Infact, if more rigorous stats are provided (as Negro has been arguing for), we can use them to plan every facet of our education system, eg, the ditribution between local and urban Areas, the disparity between age groups, the disparity between people who speak English at home and those who speak their native language, the disparity between private education and public education, and other such attributes.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 12:45pm On Feb 25, 2009
Ibime:

My friend sharrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaap! Not only do we write the exams in our dining room, we also write them underwater whilst doing the front crawl - and still manage to whoop ass!  grin grin grin

Why won't u guys whoop asses??
After kidnapping em JAMB officials, anything can happen.
I still don't trust the JAMB stats in the Niger Delta area.

Graduates in what? Yahoozee?  grin grin grin

Anuofia!!!

debosky:

1. JAMB statistics are based on state of origin. Population statistics are based on where people were counted at the time of the census.

2. Percentages have been displayed to highlight the differences in performances between different groups.

3. This argument will definitely move us forward - if there are deficiencies, we should identify where they are. If attempts are being made to create a false impression, those should be dealt with too.
Yorubas aren't the only ones in Lagos - if we make a claim that most people in Lagos are Yorubas, then our population beats that of the Igbos by close to 20% and we are still over 10% behind - that simply makes the case worse.

In other words, the Stats generated by Ibime and the original poster are not enough to determine whether the students in the SE are better than the SW.
The stats only prove students in the Naija-Delta are exam cheats, crooks, rogues and will shoot JAMB officials to carry out their malpractices if provoked. grin grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 12:53pm On Feb 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

The stats only prove students in the Naija-Delta are exam cheats, crooks, rogues and will shoot JAMB officials to carry out their malpractices if provoked. grin grin grin grin

You nor well.  grin

Society is Naija Delta is not yet degraded to the point that 16 year-olds are engaged in militant activities, although I do remember buying my Junior WAEC papers and passing with flying colours.  cool

If your assertions held any water, then Bayelsa would be outperforming Rivers State and Delta State would be equally impressive. Most would argue that the reason Bayelsa is behind Rivers State is lack of infrastructure and poor accessibility of education, unlike Rivers State. Growing up in PH, I can tell you that education is the be-all and end-all of our society. Even outlier towns like Bonny, Okrika, Buguma, Abonemma etc and such are serious about it. It should be of serious concern when people who paddle to school are outperforming those who walk to it.  grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 1:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
Na wa oh! Nigeria1/Becomerich's satellite madness has entered wikipedia!  shocked grin grin

His population figures based on satellite maps was used to estimate population as well, someone now claims they are 'closer to true figures' cheesy  grin grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria

Even going by the 'satellite figures'

SW (excluding Lagos )   25,168,456

SE                                  16,203,879

This even worsens the case - with these figures, we are 36% more than the Igbos, but with at least 10% lower applications to university!  shocked

Given Becomerich's clear bias, I suspect the Yoruba figures are inflated, but the Igbo figure remains close to what the likely flawed 2006 'census' reports.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 1:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
Ibime:

You nor well.  grin
Society is Naija Delta is not yet degraded to the point that 16 year-olds are engaged in militant activities, although I do remember buying my Junior WAEC papers and passing with flying colours.  cool

I don't trust the first statement.
Everyone in the Naija Delta region can fire weapons. Reports say there are toy soldiers.
Besides that, what is to say a big brother can't wield his weapon to influence the performance of his 16 year-old kid brother when WAEC/JAMB officials come to town??

If your assertions held any water, then Bayelsa would be outperforming Rivers State and Delta State would be equally impressive. Most would argue that the reason Bayelsa is behind Rivers State is lack of infrastructure and poor accessibility of education, unlike Rivers State. Growing up in PH, I can tell you that education is the be-all and end-all of our society. Even outlier towns like Bonny, Okrika, Buguma, Abonemma etc and such are serious about it. It should be of serious concern when people who paddle to school are outperforming those who walk to itgrin grin grin

U have already answered the question: "although I do remember buying my Junior WAEC papers and passing with flying colours." (St. Ibime)

Obviously, people who paddle to school buy their examination papers. I am sure with the poor accessibility in the riverine areas, it is natural for JAMB/WAEC to supply officials with all the examination papers before the appointed days unlike in the SW where officials go to the bank to collect examination papers on the same day candidates would write em thus reducing malpractices to the barest minimum.
A goat will make top grades in the Naija Delta. grin grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 1:46pm On Feb 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

It's baffling. . . . . . . .

Maybe more SW students travel abroad to further their education more than the students in the SE.

That could well be a factor but it's still inadequate and cannot account for the huge disconnect.
It doesn't make sense but then nothing really makes sense in Naija.

This is one of those fill-happy craps that people often deceptively pad into argument hoping they will stick unnoticed.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2009
This is one of those feel-happy craps that people often deceptively pad into argument hoping they will stick unnoticed.

grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 2:03pm On Feb 25, 2009
Dede1:

This is one of those fill-happy craps that people often deceptively pad into argument hoping they will stick unnoticed.

Will you shut that infested trap of yours??
Did your blurry eyes miss the word "maybe"??
What a kike!!!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tkb417(m): 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2009
Forget all these excuses. We all know the South-West is more populated than the South-East, which is empty. No be today when Igbo people start to leave South-East Nigeria in their droves. Can you argue that Lagos State is less populated than Bayelsa State? If not, why does Bayelsa State have more University entrants than Lagos State? The simple fact is that the South-West and North need to get their act together.
Is it only about the number of enrolment?

ok, the same JAMB that the poster culled his stats from describe some states as Educationally less developed states! abi no be so?
abeg, apart from the Northern states, can someone tell me the other states that fill the space (ELDS)
SE basically
the SW states command the highest cut off points in Jamb exams ( at least when i wrote JAMB, dunno about now)

Enrolment or no enrolment, a typical yoruba person sabi book pass Igbo people grin grin grin
if una wan faint make una faint grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

ok, the same JAMB that the poster culled his stats from describe some states as Educationally less developed states! abi no be so?
abeg, apart from the Northern states, can someone tell me the other states that fill the space (ELDS)
SE basically
the SW states command the highest cut off points in Jamb exams ( at least when i wrote JAMB, dunno about now)

U are making loadsa sense here. . . . . . .

I brought this issue up and the Eastern brothers nearly sliced ma neck with their daggers.
Of course, the chances of getting into a University in the SW is much harder than getting into one in the East.
ELDS. . . . . .Thanx for bringing this up.
Please. . . . . .Gimme the States that fall under the ELDS, it's about time i gag Ibime. tongue tongue
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 3:31pm On Feb 25, 2009
Thanks Stallion.  Your point is well taken.  I generally argue for political advancement in Nigeria and I am not a proponent of tribalism but I do not pretend that I have loyal sentiments to my people and under undue attack I will stand up for what I perceive to be unfair judgement or accusations.  Most Igbo people that follow my posts will attest to the fact that I support Biafra moving forward and transforming into the Greatness that it once commanded but in the same breath I could switch and attack those amongst them that are advocating war.  I fight Yorubas that dismiss Ifa as evil worship but I love my people and will come to their defense.  I battle Hausas that miscontrue the true intention and practice of Sharia and hijack Jihad as a weapon against anyone that critic their way of living but yet I give praise to their political savviness and vision.  

I strongly believe that in order to master inter-tribal relationship and cooperation, one must first master tribalism and stern loyalty to identity.  There is nothing despicable with being a member of a white group or a black group or any ethnic or tribal group so long as that membership seeks to strengthen in you the recognition that the cosmos is a beautiful yard of fiber, very colorful and I am one of that colors.  I am beautiful because of the diversity of colors that are rooted in my being.  I call myself Yoruba, it's true but tracing my root back 200yrs there is Edo, there is Nupe, beyond that timeline. . .only God knows!  So I am not tribalist, I am comfortable identifying with Yoruba but with a wholesome view of goodwill for our Nation and that must include integration, cooperation and of course vivid interaction with others.  I cannot view the world with a rosy colored glasses, I must take it for the way it is presented.  A lot of times. . .people will present you with bul-sh-t and if you are timid in your response, their action towards you only gets worse.

To address the conspiracy issue, when I am in Romance section I speak of love, emotions, intimacy; when I am in Religion section I speak of God, worship, esoteric philosophies; when I am in Culture section I speak of customs, traditions and values; when I am in technology section, I speak of applications, programming codes and systems. . .why would it be misplaced for me to speak propaganda and conspiracy when I am in politics section?

I think some of you have a wrong definition in how you perceive conspiracy.  "LOOK WHO IS GOING TO SCHOOL IN NIGERIA: THE STATISTICS MAY SURPRISE YOU" is a conspiracy and it was not fielded by me.  There is a lot of Topics like that in NL, very heavy in their conspiracy message but to the untrained eye, they are nothing other than a discussion.  To me it's a push for dominance and I must push back.  This is politics section, I enjoy those conspiratorial topics and I delve deep into them.  If your understanding of conspiracy is not clear or you are not adept at identifying and countering conspiracy, then please step aside for people like me that love the game to stay in it and enjoy it and keep your opinion of political ineptitude to yourself.  Better yet, move over to Romance or Culture or elsewhere that is free of dogmas, conspiracies and propagandas.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
On this data issue and about it being fraudulent let me close it with this. . .

On a yearly basis, JAMB applicants probably number in tens of thousands. That's a huge dataload! For that amount of data units and to have proper record keeping and management their registration/student profile must be archived in a DATABASE on a server. A http website is a display module, not a data storage unit and so the UME data that is posted on the jambng.com website is actually a link into a interface, a pdf file in which the .php program is scripted. Admitted, I wrongly concluded on the apparent use of .php to say it was in Phillipines. If I had done a telnet instead of relying on the IP and PING resolution I would not have made that error. So I apologize for that! After the fact, following Debo's mention, I stepped away from domain identifier and tried a remote connection and was successful. There is indeed a database containing thousands of data units. What you view on both websites jambng.com (which is the cloned copy and in fact done in an illegal manner) and the jamb.org.ng is nothing more than the output of a macro written into the interface program.

If you are looking for the results on Maths, you click on the Maths link. It displays a pre-written result for you. It does not give you the opportunity to do a query of the data units residing in the database and determine your own numbers. It gives you limited access to what is pre-analyzed by someone else that had access to the database. This person has not told you what is included or excluded in the numbers he/she is presenting to you.
The proof that this information is inaccurate is inherent in its output - you are being fed data output from someone who has illegally cloned the official website of the authority that proprietly owns the data. His/her access into the proprietary database and use is suspicious, more so that the access presented to you is limited to the output and is totally exclusive of a very important element for accurate statistical analysis - upper limits, lower limits and the range!

If this is not a pre-meditated message of conspiracy to project data analysis for regional competition, then I don't know what else to calll it. I guess Afaukwu and Ibime, since you both stand by this report (and it doesn not matter if you are looking at 6yr or just 1 yr they are in the same repository and are flawed) then the burden of proof is on you that they are accurate.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 4:05pm On Feb 25, 2009
Na wa oh! Nigeria1/Becomerich's satellite madness has entered wikipedia! Shocked Grin Grin

His population figures based on satellite maps was used to estimate population as well, someone now claims they are 'closer to true figures' Cheesy Grin Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria

Even going by the 'satellite figures'

SW (excluding Lagos ) 25,168,456

SE 16,203,879

This even worsens the case - with these figures, we are 36% more than the Igbos, but with at least 10% lower applications to university! Shocked

Given Becomerich's clear bias, I suspect the Yoruba figures are inflated, but the Igbo figure remains close to what the likely flawed 2006 'census' reports.

Roflmao grin grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 4:08pm On Feb 25, 2009
It may be that BecomeRich is an unheralded genius disguised as an "eccentric".  grin  A prophet is never honoured in his own country.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 4:29pm On Feb 25, 2009
Why is it hard for some people to accept that the SE has more students registering for JAMB and gaining admissions in Nigerian universities than the SW?
Or that the SE and SS do slightly better in test scores than the SW?
These are JAMB statistics
Anyone who thinks it's wrong ought to take it up with JAMB rather than argue blindly on nairaland.
The figures are there for all to see.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 4:35pm On Feb 25, 2009
**osisi:

Why is it hard for some people to accept that the SE has more students registering for JAMB and gaining admissions in Nigerian universities than the SW?
Anyone who thinks it's wrong ought to take it up with JAMB rather than argue blindly on nairaland.

How many states in the SE fall under the ELDS??
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

If you are looking for the results on Maths, you click on the Maths link.  It displays a pre-written result for you.  It does not give[b] you the opportunity to do a query of the data units residing in the database and determine your own numbers.  It gives you limited access to what is pre-analyzed by someone else that had access to the database.[/b]  This person has not told you what is included or excluded in the numbers he/she is presenting to you.  
The proof that this information is inaccurate is inherent in its output - you are being fed data output from someone who has illegally cloned the official website of the authority that proprietly owns the data. His/her access into the proprietary database and use is suspicious, more so that the access presented to you is limited to the output and is totally exclusive of a very important element for accurate statistical analysis - upper limits, lower limits and the range!  

If this is not a pre-meditated message of conspiracy to project data analysis for regional competition, then I don't know what else to calll it.  I guess Afaukwu and Ibime, since you both stand by this report (and it doesn not matter if you are looking at 6yr or just 1 yr they are in the same repository and are flawed) then the burden of proof is on you that they are accurate.  
You have serious problems.

WHERE is the PROOF that the site was CLONED??

WHERE is the PROOF that the output is WRONG??

I am highly disappointed that you will make baseless claims that have no relevance except in your warped imagination.

What reasonable organisation will give you direct access to it's DATABASE holding private individual's data through the web??

The Educational Testing Service (ETS) who organise annual GRE exams have stats on their website
http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/gre_0809_volumes_2000-07.pdf

Their statistics are pre-analysed too in PDF format, so are they manipulating theirs too? This is the standard method for providing data for public consumption, not by giving free access to your database.

I have explained times without number - ONE SITE jamb.org.ng is set up PRIMARILY as an online PAYMENT PORTAL for registering for PCE and UME examinations. The other is the MAIN SITE of the organisation, housing it's email access, data about the organisation and enrollment and admissions information. THERE IS NO CLONING so stop your ridiculous and frankly idiotic conspiracy theories.

I suggest you go and meet the ETS and tell them the burden of proof is on them to justify their GRE statistics, what utter nonsense and ridiculous reasoning.

There is NOTHING premeditated in it - the registrar is a YORUBA man, the one previous to him was HAUSA - where is the stupid conspiracy theory?

Professor Adedibu Ojerinde proceeded to University of Ife for his Bachelor of Science in Physics/Maths and Master of Education ( Educational Psychology,Tests and Measurement) and Ph.D in Educational Tests and Measurement at Cornel University, Ithaca, New York, USA. Professor Adedibu Ojerinde is the first Nigerian Professor of Tests and Measurement.

That is a well qualified individual who heads JAMB, and I will rely on his data analysis, rather than the inane ramblings of a confused wannabe tribal champion. Honestly you disappoint me - you are no better than a rabble rouser in making completely unsubstantiated claims with NO EVIDENCE to back it up.

SHOW ME the 'upper limits, lower limits and the range' in the GRE analysis in the above PDF. SHOW ME PROOF that any of the sites have been cloned. If you can't, please carry your convoluted and baseless conspiracy theories to another thread - we are working with facts here, not incoherent thoughts with no basis in reality.

@ Sharon

Of the 19 states labeled "educationally disadvantaged," 17 are in the North.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 4:45pm On Feb 25, 2009
Sharon doesn't even know that a few years ago, Lagos was an ELDS, not because it was not performing, but because even the ELDS list had to represent "federal character". Besides, you wouldn't find any SE state in that list, not because they may be performing, but because God Forbid that Federal Government try to help Igbo's in any way. Rivers, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa used to be on the list with Lagos, I don't know if they still are. I wouldn't even pay attention to such classifications, when they are based on political machinations, unscientific perceptions and from incorrect census figures.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2009

Osisi, I do not dispute that SE outperforms SW or NE outperforms SW or in any way you want to configure the comparisons.  When you have statistical data thatyou flash as evidence of that claim, then there is a different game entirely.  

Do you know how the North came to get bigger chunk of resource allocation than the SE?  Data manipulation!  The one that wins the battle is the one that can prove their claim, beyond reasonable doubt that, with a truckload of shenanigan data reports.  Who in SE stood up against North and disputed the figures?  None!  No play, no play, people thought they were backward and could not win that argument but they won it and sustained it this long.  

Anytime a Yoruba person brings data and flash it in your face with a claim you must review that claim independently and if you have suspicions please question it.  It's part of the democratic process.  

Yes, we are looking at JAMB reports that had been hijacked and manipulated before the output was displayed for users.  I am the contender of your SE data here.  No play, no play, this assertion could gain momentum and end up in policies that are infavorable to SW.  This is the time to challenge and disrepute it before it gets to that point.  Won't you agree my sister?   cool
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Abagworo(m): 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
Imo is the most educationally developed state in Nigeria and i think encounters the highest cut off mark in all examinations.however,university education is just one factor amongst many in measurement of wisdom and success.Most of our past presidents never went to college.we should therefore not try to use it as a proof of tribal superiority.me sef wey get masters in natural chemistry wetin i dey do?wetin i get?i dey work for person
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 4:56pm On Feb 25, 2009
Tpia,

You are right!  I am on your side, please reserve a seat for me.  

It's very painful!  I am a participant on an Hausa forum site and trust me, I battle with them on a daily basis. . . but you can never break through the membrane of their unity, muslim or christian they band together strongly.  

That's why the Yoruba ethnic group is more successful than the Hausas because they don't tell each other the truth about themselves and their current state because banding together is more paramount to them. Even in America, they love their nation so much but have different political ideologies, argue, disagree and look for the best option even if didn't go down well with some of them.God gave us brain so we can use it and not waste it acting like malu.

Yoruba saw wipe, ebi ti eni meji ba ti joko ti wu rerni, won o saw o ti to fun ra won.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 4:57pm On Feb 25, 2009
Imo is the most educationally developed state in Nigeria and i think encounters the highest cut off mark in all examinations.however,university education is just one factor amongst many in measurement of wisdom and success.Most of our past presidents never went to college.we should therefore not try to use it as a proof of tribal superiority.me sef wey get masters in natural chemistry wetin i dey do?wetin i get?i dey work for person[/quote]

grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 5:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
PROVE that even one line in the above analysis is false. Go and do a survey in a state and bring independent data - do random sampling, ANYTHING to bring proof. If you can't, you might as well join those still claiming the earth is flat.  cheesy

You make baseless claims like you get paid for it. When one avenue is blocked as irrational, you jump on to the next one.

Very soon he will say that people from the SW are claiming SE to get admission!  cheesy

You cannot mount a challenge when simple understanding of websites set up for different purposes by the same organisation eludes you.

This evidence proves that despite all the attempts to falsify census data, Genuine measurable data year in year out is showing an obvious trend that the Igbo population is greater than what is being estimated.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 5:13pm On Feb 25, 2009
Imo people use to claim academic superiority over Anambra people but stat has shown they are not superior academically like they claim. Truth is the world is changing and pride comes before a fall. The underdogs shall rise one day and beat you in your own game. People tend to relax anytime they tell them they are in control. It happened in the last American election, It happened to Nigerias super eagles, It happened to America in Vietnam etc. i think the best we can do is learn from it and work harder instead of generating rancour from it.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 5:14pm On Feb 25, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Osisi, I do not dispute that SE outperforms SW or NE outperforms SW or in any way you want to configure the comparisons.  When you have statistical data thatyou flash as evidence of that claim, then there is a different game entirely.  

Do you know how the North came to get bigger chunk of resource allocation than the SE?  Data manipulation!  The one that wins the battle is the one that can prove their claim, beyond reasonable doubt that, with a truckload of shenanigan data reports.  Who in SE stood up against North and disputed the figures?  None!  No play, no play, people thought they were backward and could not win that argument but they won it and sustained it this long.  

Anytime a Yoruba person brings data and flash it in your face with a claim you must review that claim independently and if you have suspicions please question it.  It's part of the democratic process.  

Yes, we are looking at JAMB reports that had been hijacked and manipulated before the output was displayed for users. I am the contender of your SE data here.  No play, no play, this assertion could gain momentum and end up in policies that are infavorable to SW.  This is the time to challenge and disrepute it before it gets to that point.  Won't you agree my sister?   cool

So I take it that you doubt the figures because you figure there's no way on earth Yorubas could be lagging behind Igbos in education?
Do you know that JAMB also publishes the actual names of the highest scorers in their exams.
Would you also doubt it if the names happen to be non Yoruba?
get off that pedestal bro.
No one is saying Yorubas are not going to school.
You have to accept that you are not the super education tribe as many of you have been programmed to believe.
Maybe in the 1960's and 1970's but not in today's Nigeria
I've often here many of you talk about Ekiti and professors in every family or Igbos only selling spare parts in Alaba
Have you been to Mbaise where you could have 9 children and all of them medical doctors and professors in Ife,Ibadan,Lagos,Uniben and UNTH?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 5:18pm On Feb 25, 2009
You have serious problems.

WHERE is the PROOF that the site was CLONED??

WHERE is the PROOF that the output is WRONG??

Naaah, Debo, you have serious issue with your sense of elitism, come down to earth for a moment, get out of the clouds.

Ponder on this for a moment and then run the steps if you want.

On the jamb.org.ng website, how would you know to transit to the jambng.com?  How many people go to a website and start clicking on logo?  Nobody!  Web pages are chained together by hypertext linkage so that if you are going from one to the other then a distinct label tells you precisely to click and you will be transferred.  On the .org.ng page, there is no such distinction of where to press to transit.  So assume that I have never visited the .com site before and I go to the .org.ng site, help guide me, Mr eloquence, to transit to my target page.  

People don't go foraying into logos for chain links, okay?  That is not in protocol with web usage.  

1. Transitions are made possible via hypertext linkage.
2. Logo is a trademark and not a link and unless there is a ulterior motive behind the goal, the linkage from .org.ng to .com would have been properly labeled and not hidden subtly in a logo.

I am highly disappointed that you will make baseless claims that have no relevance except in your warped imagination.

I am far more dissapointed in your lack of vision to perceive the prospects of "what if Negro is right"!  People have witnessed for your sense of balance, all I see is imbalance and is dissapointing.

What reasonable organisation will give you direct access to it's DATABASE holding private individual's data through the web??

None!  But when stastistical data is reported you are always given a "READ ME" page, outlining the definitions and terms.  This report lacks one.

I have explained times without number - ONE SITE jamb.org.ng is set up PRIMARILY as an online PAYMENT PORTAL for registering for PCE and UME examinations. The other is the MAIN SITE of the organisation, housing it's email access, data about the organisation and enrollment and admissions information. THERE IS NO CLONING so stop your ridiculous and frankly idiotic conspiracy theories.

The other is the .com with London address. . .and of all places to host its official website, and reports database, JAMB has chosen an open domain located in London, is that correct?  Do you not see it fit to even question the prudence in that move?  JAMB should have its own in-house servers with Nigerian IT graduates in gainful employment to manage the proprietary security of the archives.  You see, you lack vision!  True you are eloquent but you are not asking questions here.  Why outsource JAMB database to London?  

There is NOTHING premeditated in it - the registrar is a YORUBA man, the one previous to him was HAUSA - where is the stupid conspiracy theory?

Professor Adedibu Ojerinde proceeded to University of Ife for his Bachelor of Science in Physics/Maths and Master of Education ( Educational Psychology,Tests and Measurement) and Ph.D in Educational Tests and Measurement at Cornel University, Ithaca, New York, USA. Professor Adedibu Ojerinde is the first Nigerian Professor of Tests and Measurement.

That is a well qualified individual who heads JAMB, and I will rely on his data analysis, rather than the inane ramblings of a confused wannabe tribal champion. Honestly you disappoint me - you are no better than a rabble rouser in making completely unsubstantiated claims with NO EVIDENCE to back it up.

I am not questioning the head.  If the database is archived on a domain server in London, what does it matter who heads JAMB, heck, might as well put a white Briton to head it!   I am questioning reliability on the data presented to us in NL and credited to JAMB.   I don't have to back anything up, I only need to question and if the proponents believe much in what they are pushing then they will provide clear evidence for their accuracy.  I have raised enough questions around the administration of the websites and the database to justify a query of the source of the data.  You are not asking questions. . . you are acquiescing to the claim.

Like I said to Osisi, this is not a strange method of pushing agendas at all, it was done before; by Northerners!  Wake up and come out of your ivory cloud Debo.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by AloyEmeka9: 5:20pm On Feb 25, 2009
You have to accept that you are not the super education tribe as many of you have been programmed to believe.
Maybe in the 1960's and 1970's but not in today's Nigeria
I've often here many of you talk about Ekiti and professors in every family or Igbos only selling spare parts in Alaba
Have you been to Mbaise where you could have 9 children and all of them medical doctors and professors in Ife,Ibadan,Lagos,Uniben and UNTH?

@Negro,
When did Yorubas know how to spell slate?. Many professors in Nigeria pre Biafran war were igbos.  Yorubas closed in on igbos in education because during the Biafran war, igbos were out of school for at least 3 years. After thea, recuperating from war was not easy and it took another two years for them to pick up momentum again. the first professor in Nigeria is from calabar(Eyo Ita). First vice chancellors in  4 Nigeria's premier universities were igbos( UI, Unilag, UNN and ABU). Go figure.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tkb417(m): 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2009
Sharon doesn't even know that a few years ago, Lagos was an ELDS, not because it was not performing, but because even the ELDS list had to represent "federal character". Besides, you wouldn't find any SE state in that list, not because they may be performing, but because God Forbid that Federal Government try to help Igbo's in any way. Rivers, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa used to be on the list with Lagos, I don't know if they still are. I wouldn't even pay attention to such classifications, when they are based on political machinations, unscientific perceptions and from incorrect census figures.
Those are the ELDS in the country apart from the Nothern states!!
I guess those are SS states. i classify them to be the same thing. grin

Imo is the most educationally developed state in Nigeria and i think encounters the highest cut off mark in all examinations.however,university education is just one factor amongst many in measurement of wisdom and success.Most of our past presidents never went to college.we should therefore not try to use it as a proof of tribal superiority.me sef wey get masters in natural chemistry wetin i dey do?wetin i get?i dey work for person
its too early to take alcohol
the schools that command the highest cut off points in 9ja are the SW unis and the states with the highest cut off points are usually Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti.
so where did u get ur IMO thingy from?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:34pm On Feb 25, 2009
This is getting interestiner. Thanks Debosky and Ibime. You two are very knowledgeable. As for studying overseas, it is difficult to point at any tribe as dominating. However, the Yoruba and Igbo are far ahead of others in oversea university attendance. I did my second and third degrees in two different European countries, and it is  usually a preponderant of Igbo and Yoruba, and a sprinkling of Edo, Delta and Akwa Ibom students that you find around. I am not conversant with the scenario in US and Canada, but I doubt it will be any different.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:36pm On Feb 25, 2009
Cross River and Bayelsa are the only states that are ELDS in the south.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:38pm On Feb 25, 2009
tkb417:

Those are the ELDS in the country apart from the Nothern states!!
I guess those are SS states. i classify them to be the same thing. grin
the schools that command the highest cut off points in 9ja are the SW unis and the states with the highest cut off points are usually Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti.

Get off your fake high horse. Provide the data to back your claim. Nobody can undermine the impact of Imo and Anambra when it comes to education in Nigeria.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:40pm On Feb 25, 2009

I thought states had their cut offs at least in my own time or has it changed?I need proof for the statement above.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Threatened With Expulsion By Ukrainian Universities Cry Out / Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / Adelakun Adenike, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Pharmacy Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.