Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? (45181 Views)

Lady Poses Nude With The Holy Bible In Viral Photoshoot: Media React / Do You Know That 'dab' Dance Move Is Anti-christ Demonic? Here's Why! / Absolutely Shocking News About the NIV Bible! All Must Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by falaxy(m): 9:05am On Jul 12, 2015
HERE IS AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM NIV BIBLE PUBLISHERS! PLEASE REBROADCAST AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE TO SHAME THE DEVIL!!!

Dear Samuel,

Thank you for checking on this before forwarding such false and misleading statements. It is good to see a Christian who uses their mind before simply believing such nonsense.

These statements are false and silly and promoted either by those who don't know any better or who are intentionally trying to mislead. They have been promoted by some people for the last 40 years or so, but were refuted by good conservative scholars from the very beginning.

First, the NIV does not remove ANY verses. Instead, like all good Bible translations, the NIV omits statements that were added later and WERE NOT PART OF THE ORIGINAL TEXT. When the KJV was translated, the translators had only a few manuscripts of the New Testament available to them and these were very late (mostly from the Middle Ages). We now have hundreds of earlier and more reliable manuscripts. Scholars today recognize that we have a Greek text today that is much closer to the original than the KJV translators had available to them. So all modern versions (except the NKJV) use these older manuscripts. Even the NKJV puts the better readings in the footnotes (look for the abbreviation NU, which refers to the earlier and better manuscripts).

Remember that the original books of the Bible had no chapter or verse divisions. These were added later. So to say that there are "verses" missing is wrong. What are "missing" are phrases or sentences that were added by later scribes and were not part of the original text. The NIV, like all modern versions, seeks to preserve what was originally there. Read the Preface to the NIV and some of this is explained.

As far as the homosexual statement is concerned, this is simply false. None of the translators of the NIV were homosexuals (or Satanists!). All were conservative evangelical Christians fully committed to the inspiration and inerrancy of the text. For the names of the present and past committee members, see

http://www.biblica.com/en-us/the-niv-bible/meet-the-translators/
http://www.bible-researcher.com/niv-translators.html

Just check passages on homosexuality in the NIV and you will see that the NIV is not "soft" on homosexuality. Here are the main passages:

Lev. 18:22 “ ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Lev. 20:13 “ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Rom. 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1Cor. 6:9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1Tim. 1:9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

So you see, these accusations are false and slanderous. It is a shame that many Christians are out to attack others rather than to promote the good news.

Thanks again for your question.

Blessings,

Mark Strauss

2 Likes

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 12, 2015
No bible translation is perfect from a human point of view. There will be flaws noticed, attempts to correct them and a push for improvements. Our GOD however is perfect and HIS WORD infallible. Don’t be moved by those who want to draw your focus to the ‘letter that kill’ instead of to ‘the spirit that gives life’. There is NO CONSPIRACY HERE. DON’T THROW AWAY YOUR NIV, KJV OR ANY OTHER TRANSLATION PLEASE. Most importantly let us rely on the greatest teacher of all... The HOLY GHOST/SPIRIT to lead us into ALL truth as we study whatever translation we decide to use.

3 Likes

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Nuella222(f): 9:07am On Jul 12, 2015
kellyJames5:

cry
Where can I find it?
Write ur own bible with 'Eze goes to school' or 'Ali and Simbi' english. Bet me u'll never b confused in ur entire life again. grin
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by fF01(m): 9:10am On Jul 12, 2015
Demigods:

Dude stop being blind Christianity is a scam.
ode
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 12, 2015
fF01:

ode

Blind goat please don't quote me and throw insults.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by herald9: 9:17am On Jul 12, 2015
whitewitch:
what!!! hm hm the holy spirit u say? lemme tell u one secret dat u dnt know, do u know dat in HELL, there are people gathered in a section dat is there bcaus of what they wrote in d internet? be careful!!!!!
I guess you are the gate keeper or warder in hell?

Oh! WHITEWITCH ... You're a resident!
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Omotayor123(f): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2015
Confusionists.... smh.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by bigass123(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2015
Has anyone seen the COMPLETE BIBLE? Go to YouTube and search for the missing parts of the Bible. You'll hear stuffs like 6th, 7th books of moses.
GOD is a mystery, if you know all about him and can explain everything about Him, then He's no more God.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by fF01(m): 9:21am On Jul 12, 2015
Demigods:

Blind goat please don't quote me and throw insults.
may Jah forgive u cuz u knw nt wah ua saying...
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Rilwayne001: 9:22am On Jul 12, 2015
ideatoprince18:
.......the Pentateuch was not written by moses buh by different writers spanning tri d different times exerted under mosaic law!!!!!!

Who are these writers?

There is no such thing such as miracle of the
Prophet. In fact miracles fall under the domain of
superstition and there is no room for superstition
in Islam. Why believe ‘tales’ of miracles of the
Prophet then?......this questions d authenticity as Mohammed as a prophet?

I don't get you here. Can you come out open and stop typing like a teen?

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Adex7004(m): 9:25am On Jul 12, 2015
I doubt if everything in Bible is truly word of God, because if everything is word of God, there must not be any contradictions, interpolations and misplaced of events in it, and there should not be any word of man it, but Bible is not free from this errors,pls think about it very well

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by ideatoprince18(m): 9:29am On Jul 12, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Who are these writers?

........sorry I taught u were highly educated....OK I will break it down for you.....we all know Mohammad performed no miracle a and DAT doubt his authenticity as a prophet..... why should I believe him
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by ideatoprince18(m): 9:29am On Jul 12, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Who are these writers?

........sorry I taught u were highly educated....OK I will break it down for you.....we all know Mohammad performed no miracle a and DAT doubt his authenticity as a prophet..... why should I believe he was sent from God

Ask me questions from d new testament cause that's where d ministry of our lord Jesus started......

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by MEILYN(m): 9:30am On Jul 12, 2015
Rilwayne001:

I don't agree with the bolded. Remember you haven't answered my question as well. Maybe you should answer it.
I cannot answer your question and I am not planning to answer it. It is only a fool that would believe the quran which was actually derived from the Bible to be more superior than the Bible itself. My friend, Remix no dey original pass main song.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by MEILYN(m): 9:32am On Jul 12, 2015
The Bible and the quran agree to the fact that Prophets only come from Israel. Mohammed was not an Israelite, I wonder how he became a Prophet when the quran rightly said prophets come only from Israel. I can give you the verse in the quran if you want.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by doofanc: 9:35am On Jul 12, 2015
GrammarNazi:
Most Christians ignorantly & erroneously believe that the bible is a perfect book. I hate to tell you this, but it's not true. The Bible, as we have it today, was compiled by MEN (not necessarily for the altruistic reasons you think, but that's another story altogether) from books and letters written by MEN (maybe or maybe not under divine inspiration). wink

The bible as we have it today, is host to many errors and inconsistencies. That doesn't mean it is not a holy book, inspired by God. We just need to know when to draw the line, when interpreting verses and stories from the bible. wink

There are translational errors in virtually all versions of the bible we have today, ESPECIALLY The King James Version, which most people erroneously believe to be Sacrosanct. Later versions of the bible have attempted to correct some of these errors. The New International Version (NIV) is not the only version that attempts this. Lemme use the example of 1 John 5:7-9 that someone quoted earlier. See how the KJV and other versions quoted the same verses.

Moral Lesson: God is NOT the author of confusion, but anything that passes through human hands, cannot be perfect!!!

Many Christians have a very, very hard time accepting this. I think it has to do with wrongly applying Biblical references that point to its inerrancy (2tim3:16). I do believe the original divinely inspired manuscripts were without error to the last dotted 'i' or crossed 't'. Those manuscripts are unfortunately no longer available. Like you rightly observed, what we have are translations made by fallible humans. They may contain errors.

I think the danger of hanging fastidiously to every single word in our translated Bibles as inerrant is that once the atheists are able to point out apparent irreconcilable inconsistencies (most likely brought about by translational errors), the faith is seriously shaken, sometimes irredeemably. Many previously great scholars (e.g. Bart Erhman) fall into this group.

On this board you see numerous "gotcha" threads by atheists (MizJanet etal) or even muslims claiming to have come across such inconsistencies. And yes, in some cases Christians do have a hard time explaining some of them. As William Craig put it, yeah there are some minor errors, so what?? Do any the undermine the central message of the scriptures, which is Christ? Definitely not. The Bible still remains and will be God's gift to man.

Lastly those claiming KJV as the only 'authentic' translation obviously haven't taken time to research its history. I personally use many translations for my study, which I can always compare, and of course asking the Holy Spirit for guidance.

BTW what the name of that app you're using?

2 Likes

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Rilwayne001: 9:35am On Jul 12, 2015
ideatoprince18:
........sorry I taught u were highly educated....

Illiterate, please answer my question..Who wrote the pentateuch?

OK I will break it down for you.....we all know Mohammad performed no miracle a and DAT doubt his authenticity as a prophet..... why should I believe he was sent from God

Going by your myopic logic, Abraham performed no miracle, do you believe he was a prophet or not? Jesus performed astounding miracle in front of the jews, does that make the jews accept him wholeheatedly? Upon all the miracles performed by moses, did it stopped the Israelite from worshipping other gods? Now, use your brain and tell us the significance of miracle.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Emu4life(m): 9:37am On Jul 12, 2015
[/color][color=][b][/b]keep confusing and decieving ur selves wit d word of man calling it word of God.... .na una sabi oooo
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by MEILYN(m): 9:40am On Jul 12, 2015
Take a look at this verse. You all should know that mohammed was a descendant of Ismael.

“And when he (Abraham) had separated himself from them, and from that which they worshipped beside God, We gave him Isaac and Jacob; and We made them both prophets; and We granted unto them (benefits of) our mercy; and We granted unto them a lofty tongue of truth.” (Maryam 19:49)

Please oooo, did you see Ismael in that verse? This verse Is from the quran. So, if Ismael wasn't made a prophet during the time of Abraham, who gave mohammed the right to become a prophet?

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by doofanc: 9:41am On Jul 12, 2015
Abeg I dey go Church, with my NIV! cool
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Emu4life(m): 9:41am On Jul 12, 2015
MEILYN:
The Bible and the quran agree to the fact that Prophets only come from Israel. Mohammed was not an Israelite, I wonder how he became a Prophet when the quran rightly said prophets come only from Israel. I can give you the verse in the quran if you want.
we need d verse
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Rilwayne001: 9:43am On Jul 12, 2015
MEILYN:
I cannot answer your question and I am not planning to answer it.

Why? Which version of the bible are you using?

It is only a fool that would believe the quran which was actually derived from the Bible is more superior than the Bible itself.

And only a bigger fool would believe the bible is free of error.

My friend, Remix no dey original pass main song.

The Quran is not a remix of the bible, but correction to it.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by menxer: 9:44am On Jul 12, 2015
it is called NIV translation, and as far as translating any sentence from one language into another goes, certain words/meanings will be lost.
if you should translate a popular Yoruba/hausa/Igbo/Tiv/Ibibio/Andoni proverb into English will it still retain its exact original meaning?

Remember PMB once used a hausa proverb that caused an uproar when interpreted literally into English.

@OP those missing parts are contained in footnotes, that mobile bible versions have no footnotes does not mean NIV is undermining the Bible.
some portions are also missing in NLT mobile version.

No translation is perfect, even KJV, because none of us have access to the Original transcript.

Have you heard a song on a 5.1 AV sound system before, does that same song sound the same on a 2-battery radio?
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Emu4life(m): 9:46am On Jul 12, 2015
MEILYN:
Take a look at this verse. You all should know that mohammed was a descendant of Ismael.

“And when he (Abraham) had separated himself from them, and from that which they worshipped beside God, We gave him Isaac and Jacob; and We made them both prophets; and We granted unto them (benefits of) our mercy; and We granted unto them a lofty tongue of truth.” (Maryam 19:49)

Please oooo, did you see Ismael in that verse? This verse Is from the quran. So, if Ismael wasn't made a prophet during the time of Abraham, who have mohammed the right to become a prophet?
and did u read d bble and see where God accepted d plea of Abraham to make a very great position of his decendant? Dat verse speaks of his departure wit d disbeliever or did ur bble tels u dat Hagar is an idol worshipper?
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by MEILYN(m): 9:47am On Jul 12, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Why? Which version of the bible are you using?

And only a bigger fool would believe the bible is free of error.

The Quran is not a remix of the bible, but correction to it.
I agree that the bible has errors but I totally disagree that the quran is a correction to the Bible. You are highly mistaken. The quran was made up to contend with the Holy Bible. Mohammed had no right to become a prophet. His lineage was never given that blessing.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 12, 2015
Ishilove:
I came across this thread that left me alarmed and sweating because the NIV is my favourite translation and it is what i read 95% of the time:

https://www.nairaland.com/2442956/absolutely-shocking-all-christians-must

I was alarmed, especially when I cross-checked my own copy of the NIV bible and discovered it was true. But then, another Nairalander countered the above with this:

https://www.nairaland.com/2430755/disregard-all-messages-social-media#35732940

I was relieved, and a bit confused. This comment by another Nairalander on the same thread added to the befuddlement:

https://www.nairaland.com/2430755/disregard-all-messages-social-media#35740192

Now, with all these arguments and counter-arguments, I am wondering what to believe. I however wonder why anything should be omitted from the bible.

Let's discuss.
SO WHAT DID YOU WANT US TO DOangry
BY THE LOOK OF THINGS, YOU ARE NOT A STRONG CHRISTIAN BUT RATHER BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE INFRONT OF YOU OR THE OPINION OF A MAN.

WHY CANT YOU JUST DO A SOLID RESEARCH ABOUT IT. YOU CANT JUST BE A BABY CHRISTIAN FOREVER.

NOW WHAT YOU JUST DID, YOU CONFUSED ALOT OF PEOPLE, EVEN ALL THE BIBLE YOU SEE, THERE HAVE REMOVE ALOT SCRITPURE AND SO ON. HAVE YOU EVER ASK YOURSELF HOW THE BIBLE CAME ABOUT? WHAT SERIES OF SCROLL WAS COMBINE? I GUESS NOT.

NEXT TIME THINK BEFORE YOU DO SOME CERTAIN THINGS, AND START WORKING BY FAITH AND NOT BY MAN OPINION.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Donjowebs(m): 9:50am On Jul 12, 2015
I opened my Bible and was alarmed initially when I couldn't find the stated verses, but the footnotes explained them out. For me I believe when you want to really study the Bible, one should use more than one version and most importantly pray for the understanding, wisdom, guidance and interpretation by the Spirit of truth from God.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by MEILYN(m): 9:50am On Jul 12, 2015
Emu4life:
and did u read d bble and see where God accepted d plea of Abraham to make a very great position of his decendant? Dat verse speaks of his departure wit d disbeliever or did ur bble tels u dat Hagar is an idol worshipper?
You are saying rubbish. I guess you didn't read my post very well. I will give you another verse from the quran. Being an idol worshipper doesn't make you less of an Israelite. God only dealt with the Israelites and nobody else. All prophets in the Bible were Israelites. I wonder what concerns being a prophet with Ismael.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by Crocz(m): 9:52am On Jul 12, 2015
This argument only buttress the muslims' believe that the bible isn't actually the original bible, that it is saddled with omissions and additions of words and sentences as well as not containing 100% "verbatim" word of God cos when you've read the bible you'll see: Words of God, Words of Prophets and then Words of Historians.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by ideatoprince18(m): 9:53am On Jul 12, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Illiterate, please answer my question..Who wrote the pentateuch?

Going by your myopic logic, Abraham performed no miracle, do you believe he was a prophet or not? Jesus performed astounding miracle in front of the jews, does that make the jews accept him wholeheatedly? Upon all the miracles performed by moses, did it stopped the Israelite from worshipping other gods? Now, use your brain and tell us the significance of miracle.
...........if you can tell me d name of all d whole people that crammed d Quran off heart during d time of Mohammad then I will tell u who wrote d Pentateuch

For ur info I don't know wat Mohammad made u believe buh there is a clear distinction between a prophet n a king!!!! David was never a prophet....I can list some of d prophets of old who backed dis claim wit miracles from God.....Adam is not a prophet also....Moses was a prophet...Elijah n Elisha was a prophet.... so bro go thru d bible n understand simple English instead of depending on messenger Mohammad!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by 5minsmadness: 9:55am On Jul 12, 2015
architez:

OP Ishilove, I think people who argue the minutiae of every word in the bible probably don't understand how the bible came about.

Many of these things were finally put down on paper after decades or even centuries of being passed on by word of mouth. We all know what happens when stories are passed from person to person by word of mouth.

I believe Christianity is a spiritual affair. The important thing is that u have the spirit of Christ in u. Once that is accomplisned, the exact wording of the bible or any other book becomes of quite secondary importance.

Ishi, forgive me but
there is this raging thread I'd like u to comment on. We are trying to determine what should be the parameters of a consent age in 9ja (and wether there should even be a consent age at all):

https://www.nairaland.com/2439827/age-consent-sex-what-want

Most sensible post on this thread so far.
Re: Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? by menxer: 9:56am On Jul 12, 2015
MEILYN:

Please oooo, did you see Ismael in that verse? This verse Is from the quran. So, if Ismael wasn't made a prophet during the time of Abraham, who gave mohammed the right to become a prophet?

I think your analysis is faulty.
Was the father of Moses a prophet?
were the fathers of Elijah, Elisha, Ezekiel, etc Prophets?
That Joseph the father of Jesus was not a prophet does not mean Jesus Christ was not a prophet.

Going by your analysis of that scripture you quoted, we should have only "two" prophets.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman In University Of Ibadan For 'Help From Above' (Photos) / Reno Omokri Writes About Wedding, Christianity And Church / You Have 14 Days To Apologize - Celestial Prophet To David Ibiyeomie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.