Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,346 members, 7,819,232 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? (41963 Views)

Kenyan Lady Gets Pistol From Her Father As Gift, Warns Nigerian Guys. Photos / Rich Nigerian Man Force His Girlfriend To Eat A Whole Cake / 7 Places Nigerian Single Ladies Visit When Searching For Husbands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by humilitypays(m): 10:29am On Jul 21, 2015
Some days ago, I and a friend who recently returned from abroad were gisting about life, and one thing led to another, we ended up discussing Nigerian issues like- insecurity in the northeastern Nigeria, abnormal increase in graduate unemployment, politics, and of course romance; basically the rate at which true love is fading away in Nigeria of our time.

It was at this point that my friend started telling me stories of how Nigerian ladies abroad (especially those living in US and UK according to him) play hard-to-get and difficult for Nigerian guys living abroad, especially if they discover that the guy isn't from a wealthy family back in Nigeria.

He revealed to me that many Nigerian guys living in US and Uk would love to marry Nigerian ladies living there, but that the problem is that Nigerian ladies don't always make it easy for Naija guys living there with them to approach them and that most of the Naija ladies there usually flock around a Nigerian guy there if they notice that the guy is from a wealthy Nigerian family or at worst, studying medicine or working as a doctor there.

He also mentioned that he has observed that Nigerian ladies who come from wealthy family backgrounds or those who worked hard to become rich themselves will never agree to date or marry a Nigerian guy who isn't richer than them or popular; that's a celebrity.

His statement shocked me because exactly what he said was also my thought having observed things here in Nigeria for some time now, and some months ago, I also overheard a group of guys discussing same thing at a gathering I went to.

Now, I want to throw this question open to Nigerian ladies of all social status, since nairaland is a popular forum where people of all class visit...please no insults, I just want to hear your opinion.

Why don't we see more of rich single Nigerian ladies date or marry not-so-rich Nigerian guys? Is it a crime or does it mean Nigerian ladies only develop love when they see or smell wealth and success?

At least, we have witnessed or heard of several cases of wealthy Nigerian guys date and marry poor Nigerian girls from poor families who don't even have a job, but on the other hand, we rarely hear or see rich Nigerian single ladies date or marry not-so-rich Nigerian guys; I am not even talking of dating or marrying broke guys, I mean guys who aren't that rich or popular.

Before anyone come calling for my head, please kindly sit back and observe things in your area of residence; you will notice that we now have plenty number of Nigerian single ladies working in big companies and earning fat salaries, some are born into wealth, some have become rich doing business, yet these ladies are single probably waiting for a rich or richer guy to come ask them out and marry them, hence making it difficult for them to find husband.

But in other countries of Africa, Europe, Asia, and Americas, rich ladies date and marry broke and not-so-rich guys without issues, but is seems to be different in Nigeria, why pls

What then is the need of fighting for feminism and gender-equality if NIgerian ladies can't embrace the changes that comes with gender equality/feminism?

Let me give some examples:

Linda Ikeji, Genevieve Nnajia, Rita Domnic, Funke Akindele, Tonto Dikeh, Kate Henshaw, etc

Believe it or not, Linda Ikeji wants to marry, but she's probably waiting for one rich guy or son of a former minister, governor, MD, etc to settle down with.....same with Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Domnic, Funke Akindele, and so many others that are not that popular but rich or come from rich family background.

Does it mean that rich Nigerian guys dating and marrying poor or not-so-rich Nigerian girls are fools

At least Marriah Carey married poor Nick Cannon...and many of such cases abound in western countries, but rarely happen in Nigeria, why? Something is wrong somewhere, can someone please explain.

Note:
I am not saying its a crime for a lady to date or marry rich guy, neither am I saying that a lady must date/marry broke guy, I am just curious as to why it is rare to hear that a rich single Nigerian lady is dating or married to a guy who isn't rich?

180 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Kelvinpam(m): 10:38am On Jul 21, 2015

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 21, 2015
Nigeria is synonyms with stupidity. Meanwhile... The ur question lays foundation to the cornerstone to the future in such a way that equality will obtain it's right here...

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 21, 2015
humilitypays:

Modified
Film tricks... chai look at your self dude

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ITSaWRAPOUTFITS: 10:53am On Jul 21, 2015
If only I have the answer cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nnemuka(f): 11:00am On Jul 21, 2015
Cant you guys let Nigerian girls be?
Honestly we dont care what you guys say, if it isnt working out the way you want with nigerian girls pls let them be.

NoIgwegbe:
You say that white women marry men who are poorer than them, but have you visited their homes?
Have you seen the man doing all the house chores and doing it gladly while his wife works?
THis is called role reversal. The woman does not mind maintaining the man, as long as he is useful around the house.
Unlike in NIgeria where the men are too proud of doign house chores, yet they want an ATM machine as a wife.
Most hardworking established women do not see the need to become slaves in the name of being wives, when the main function of the man in the home, which is providing for his family is done by her, and the man still would not want to do the roles of a wife, like the men abroad do.
Nobody is a work machine, she cannot do all the work outside and inside the home. it is not done. Better to be single and hustle for just yourself, than acquire a liability, and a slave master, that creates more stress for you both at home and at work.
Marriage in Nigeria is over-rated. it is okay to not want to marry if you feel you are okay. Genevieive said it several times, that she does not want to marry.
NIgerian men think that marriage is all the beginning and end of a woman's life, but you must not marry.
When you have something more important in life to achieve than marriage, the bible says that it okay not to marry. and waiting for rich men is not the reason why some rich women are not married.
Some simply do not want to marry, because marriage in NIgeria is over-rated. Gurrit.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Feranchek(m): 11:04am On Jul 21, 2015
WARRIBLOOD:

Film tricks... chai look at your self dude

You just made this 1st page unnecessarily long. Must you quote the op Una dey taya pesin sef

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 21, 2015
Feranchek:

You just made this 1st page unnecessarily long. Must you quote the op Una dey taya pesin sef
beg me to modify it
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Feranchek(m): 11:08am On Jul 21, 2015
WARRIBLOOD:
beg me to modify it

cheesy cheesy cheesy Oya bros ABEG O0oo0o!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by humilitypays(m): 11:21am On Jul 21, 2015
Nnemuka:
Cant you guys let Nigerian girls be?
Honestly we dont care what you guys say, if it isnt working out the way you want with nigerian girls pls let them be.
Hi, pls this isn't an attack on Nigerian ladies....at least, not from me because I cherish Nigerian ladies so much to hate emgrin

Its just an observation that I felt like hearing ppls opinion.

I can't hate Nigerian girls...I have no single reason to but instead I wish and desire to see us live happily, ever after instead in tears and loneliness as been the case of recent.

So relax and just read ppls opinion, we all are learning from life, good morningsmiley

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 11:26am On Jul 21, 2015
I tiresad

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by asumo12: 11:33am On Jul 21, 2015
undecided
ggrin:
I tiresad

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by kinglekan: 11:36am On Jul 21, 2015
ggrin:
I tiresad
Osinwin showapa? grin grin
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 21, 2015
super rich ladiez tend to
end up single anyway
.. coz dey intimidate
all men away wit deir uptight
attitude
no man wantz a b1tch wu actz lyk
ha shiiit doesnt stink lipsrsealed

wen dey end up alone in
old age, dey then retreat 2
hide under d blanket
of 'feminism' juss lyk
majority of d old, single
bitter women on diz forum

223 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 11:41am On Jul 21, 2015
asumo12:
undecided
broke asz niggaundecided
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 11:42am On Jul 21, 2015
kinglekan:

Osinwin showapa? grin grin

pele o egbon e undecided

Oponu aiyeradaundecided

12 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by kinglekan: 11:46am On Jul 21, 2015
ggrin:
pele o egbon e undecided

Oponu aiyeradaundecided
Oponu Oshiii!! Shey u cannot greet me daaada ni?
Ogo shaaa ooooo. undecided
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 11:59am On Jul 21, 2015
kinglekan:
Oponu Oshiii!! Shey u cannot greet me daaada ni?
Ogo shaaa ooooo. undecided
ani obaje se Onibaje oshiangry

Aja la je epon elipsrsealed

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by kinglekan: 12:07pm On Jul 21, 2015
ggrin:
ani obaje se Onibaje oshiangry

Aja la je epon elipsrsealed
Werey nie ee ooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Aja ke? O buuru oooo. Kilo le to yen naaa

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
kinglekan:
Werey nie ee ooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Aja ke? O buuru oooo. Kilo le to yen naaa
ija sese beere ni oangry
U neva see anythinglipsrsealed

10 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by kinglekan: 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2015
ggrin:
ija sese beere ni oangry
U neva see anythinglipsrsealed
Kilode naahhh!! Padi mi to sweeettt.
Ma je ka ja oooo. wink
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by winnieberry(f): 3:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
Op i think d'problem comes from d'guys and our myopic,archaic societal vaalues whose states dat A man must d'wealty one.Most naija guys are intimidated by rich ladies,even on threads here,some guys feel guys should not go after rich ladies.When a man goes after rich ladies,he is a either a gold digger or gigolo,Naija guys got alot of problems wit them:date a rich babe no ,then they go fter broke ladies and start complainig she is only after my money ,for crying out wat do u wat her to be after wen she is a broke bitch?We need change in our beliefs on relationship

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by ggrin(f): 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2015
kinglekan:
Kilode naahhh!! Padi mi to sweeettt.
Ma je ka ja oooo. wink
kisskiss smileysmiley grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
How many nigerian men want to marry a woman who earns higher than them?

I can't marry a guy who earns less than I do.

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Captainswag225(m): 6:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
firsteva dear, whats ur take on dis?
Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 21, 2015
First of all, it's not a general thing, some well to do girls just want to get married and bear another man's name even though he has no money, I have heard of several cases where a woman sponsors her wedding, pays for their accommodation, even baff up her man, it happens a lot.

The category of ladies you have referred to are in the majority, the fact is this, a woman wants to be able to look up to her husband in every aspect of life, particularly financially. A woman earning more than her man places her in a higher position than her husband, it takes the grace of God for a woman to maintain her humility and sanity when she is expected to meet most of the demands of the home, it becomes a case of role reversal and can lead to a lot of commotion in the home particularly if he has some ego. To avoid all this wahala, a successful woman/lady would want a more successful man so they don't have an awkward married life.
Cc captainswag225

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by humilitypays(m): 6:40pm On Jul 21, 2015
winnieberry:
Op i think d'problem comes from d'guys and our myopic,archaic societal vaalues whose states dat A man must d'wealty one.Most naija guys are intimidated by rich ladies,even on threads here,some guys feel guys should not go after rich ladies.When a man goes after rich ladies,he is a either a gold digger or gigolo,Naija guys got alot of problems wit them:date a rich babe no ,then they go fter broke ladies and start complainig she is only after my money ,for crying out wat do u wat her to be after wen she is a broke bitch?We need change in our beliefs on relationship
Great response! But I think the reason guys are intimidated maybe as a result of how our ladies carry themselves.

A broke Nigerian girl who is pretty or just good-looking do plenty shakara talkless of a rich good-looking ladygrin

Nigerian guys date and marry rich foreign ladies...at least I know 1 or 2...but it seems to be diff when it comes to rich Nigerian ladies.

In all, I still agree with u that we need a lot of cultural re-orientation in some areas of life that will affect our society positively.

@ahsekeena, I like the way u made your preference known without playing around with it. Nice 1

@eebairotciv, funny but thought-provoking analysis, lol

17 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by Captainswag225(m): 6:40pm On Jul 21, 2015
firstEVA:
First of all, it's not a general thing, some well to do girls just want to get married and bear another man's name even though he has no money, I have heard of several cases where a woman sponsors her wedding, pays for their accommodation, even baff up her man, it happens a lot.

The category of ladies you have referred to are in the majority, the fact is this, a woman wants to be able to look up to her husband in every aspect of life, particularly financially. A woman earning more than her man places her in a higher position than her husband, it takes the grace of God for a woman to maintain her humility and sanity when she is expected to meet most of the demands of the home, it becomes a case of role reversal and can lead to a lot of commotion in the home particularly if he has some ego. To avoid all this wahala, a successful woman/lady would want a more successful man so they don't have an awkward married life.
Cc captainswag225
WOW!! U said it all, there's nothing more to add. Great write up.

14 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by humilitypays(m): 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
firstEVA:

Cc captainswag225
Awesome! God bless you for this honest comment; now I know better

11 Likes

Re: Why Don't We See Rich Nigerian Single Ladies Marry Not-so-rich Nigerian Guys? by scentmarlc(m): 7:31pm On Jul 21, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ex LAUTECH Student Dies Mysteriously After Spending His Birthday Night With GF / A Man Saved My Name As "Afang Soup" After I Cooked For Him - Lady Cries Out / Why Do Guys Wait For Their Girlfriends To Get Pregnant 1st Before Marrying Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.