Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF (25770 Views)

Uwazuruike Apologises To The North; Says Protests Politically Motivated / Northern Leaders Reject Jonathan’s Confab Report / Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says Arewa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2015
The North has no faith in the National Conference organized by the outgone administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, according to the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF).

The group, in a statement issued in Kaduna State on Thursday, declared that the conference was skewed against the geo-political zone.

The declaration was in reaction to a statement credited to prominent Yoruba elder, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, who has consistently urged the Muhammadu Buhari administration to implement the recommendations of the conference.

The Yoruba socio-political umbrella organization, Afenifere, to which Chief Adebanjo belongs, had consistently advocated the convocation of a National Conference as the solution to Nigeria’s many problems.

During the last presidential campaign, the Afenifere had declared bloc support for the reelection of the then incumbent President Jonathan citing its fears that a government headed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) might not implement the recommendations of the conference.

Adebanjo had in an interview with a newspaper recently, said: “My own view and the view of Afenifere are that a northerner will not be so disposed to changing the constitution because they are the beneficiaries of what we are complaining about. Let them disprove that.”

He had added: “About 500 distinguished Nigerians recommended a new constitution unanimously and nobody has come out to say what we did there was wrong.”

The ACF, in a statement on Thursday, disclosed its objection to the conference.

The statement was issued by the Northern group’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Muhamma Ibrahim.

The group admitted that the North participated in the conference, but added that the constitution of its membership was lopsided and skewed to favour the South over the North.

It said: “The selection process of delegates by President Jonathan’s government to the confab made the North, that has a population of 75,268,686 people (NPC 2006) with a land mass of 730,885 square km (80%) as a minority with 189 delegates while the South with a population 65,151,458 people (NPC 2006) with a land mass of 193,438 square km (20%) as a majority with 303 delegates.”

It continued: “Despite this glaring injustice and disadvantage, the North, as a region did not only participate in the overall national interest of Nigeria but also stabilised the conference on crucial issues of national unity. The 2014 Confab was therefore not a platform for constitution making and did not unanimously recommend a new constitution for Nigeria as claimed by Chief Adebanjo.

“The learned Chief knows better the process of constitution making and certainly the delegates to the 2014 Confab did not qualify for such process, as they were not elected as representatives of the people but selected or nominated by government and interest groups.”

It added: ”The delegates therefore did not have the legitimate mandate of the people to draft or recommend a new constitution for Nigeria and did not even do so.”

The ACF wondered whether it was the fault of the North that Jonathan, who had ample time to implement the recommendation of the confab, failed to do so.

It added: “The 2014 Confab, in which ACF fully participated made about 600 far-reaching recommendations on policy issues, legal and constitutional amendments to the 1999 Constitution as amended and submitted the report to the former President on August 21, 2014 and not a new Constitution.

“President Jonathan had ample opportunity to implement some of the policy issues or even forward some of the recommendations that require legal and constitutional amendments to the National Assembly, but did not do so.

“Was it the northern interest that stopped him, being a southerner or a southern interest? The Confab report, being a public property, is subject to the usual due process of implementation through the three arms of government and not singularly by President Buhari as Chief Adebanjo is canvassing.”

It cautioned against inflammatory statements from respected elders that could jeopardise the corporate co-existence of the nation and described Adebanjo’s comment as embarrassing and absurd.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/jonathans-confab-anti-north-says-acf/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 31, 2015
Its an Abo*ki's Birthright to rule Nigeria......"Mindset of a typical Northerner".

If you are tired of being Oppressed stand up for your Rights instead of slithering and Planning like cowards. Moaning Bitches undecided

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by merry02(m): 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2015
Is the report meant for one region?I think all regions,ethnics were represented in the conference now!what's jonathan confab report again?when ll Apc stop blaming jonathan?

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by phyllosilicate(m): 12:18pm On Jul 31, 2015
merry02:
Is the report meant for one region?I think all regions,ethnics were represented in the conference now!what's jonathan confab report again?when ll Apc stop blaming jonathan?
Prior to the commencement of the confab, I read several protest from the North that they were not fairly represented, Jonathan turned a blind eye. Can you imagine the 3 regions in the north were represented by 189 people, while the 3 regions of the south were represented by 303 delegates.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by omolami: 12:19pm On Jul 31, 2015
Meaning Arewa, the north is doing the north because same Confab was headed by a northerner and an Arewan..The wailing northerners

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:24pm On Jul 31, 2015
... And the blame game will continue

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 12:24pm On Jul 31, 2015
Until Buhari & Tinubu implement true federalism as they faked to support during the campaign, APC means nothing to me but fraud!

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by merry02(m): 12:28pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
Prior to the commencement of the confab, I read several protest from the North that they were not fairly represented, Jonathan turned a blind eye. Can you imagine the 3 regions in the north were represented by 189 people, while the 3 regions of the south were represented by 303 delegates.
I pray for this country cos all this supremacy ll nt lead us to anywhere

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by phyllosilicate(m): 12:33pm On Jul 31, 2015
merry02:
I pray for this country cos all this supremacy ll nt lead us to anywhere
is this what you would have said if the confab was the other way around I.e having 189 southerners and 303 northerners?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by merry02(m): 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
is this what you would have said if the confab was the other way around I.e having 189 southerners and 303 northerners?
what is ur take on buhari appointment so far?the same things persist.God ll see us tru

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by sokunji(m): 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2015
Really..I don't want to be disrespectful and call u a big fat liar, but what you said is far from the truth.. the confab consisted of equall number of people from the region. .and then representatives from all over the country and outside. .it had representative of people in diaspora, the police force, human right activist and so many others. .those representatives of various groups were selected irrespective of their tribe or region.

www.leadership.ng/news/352593/national-confab-jonathan-releases-list-492-delegates

mtscheeew. .pls look for another lie to defend your refusal to support a confab report that is important to our unity and growth as a nation.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by wisdomguy4u(m): 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:

Can you post a news link of the protest by the North.... Stop saying what you don't know. The North never protested.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by kutchs: 12:41pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I don't see how the demand by the south for fiscal federalism and resource control is anti-north number or no number. You must agree that this country needs to be restructured in the south wants for it to develop. The north instead of crying fowl should look inwards for ways to bring their region out of years f self inflicted harm.
BTW can you give us the names of the delegates by states of origin.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by bugzbunny: 12:47pm On Jul 31, 2015
Blabbing fOols
God punish parasites
May lugard neva knw peace
Lubishhhhh

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by phyllosilicate(m): 12:53pm On Jul 31, 2015
kutchs:

I don't see how the demand by the south for fiscal federalism and resource control is anti-north number or no number. You must agree that this country needs to be restructured in the south wants for it to develop. The north instead of crying fowl should look inwards for ways to bring their region out of years f self inflicted harm.
I am from the south south, and I support fiscal federalism. My is, if one is calling for a National dialogue, all regions should be fairly represented. And the delegate should be chosen by their people. Jonathan just hand picked people. Less call a spade a spade.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by phyllosilicate(m): 1:01pm On Jul 31, 2015
merry02:
what is ur take on buhari appointment so far?the same things persist.God ll see us tru
on Buhari appointment, I can't say for now until he has constituted his cabinet. We are not been fair on Him, I think. Buhari has mostly appointed security positions and in this type of appointments, you appoint those you trust. Like I said before, I am from SS, if I am the president today, do you expect my ADC, SCO, NSA, head of DSS, Chief of Army staff should come from the North? Or you want make hypertension kill me?
Jonathan appointed southerners in all this key security positions when he was elected, why people didn't notice was because he appointed his ministers along with them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by phyllosilicate(m): 1:04pm On Jul 31, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

Can you post a news link of the protest by the North.... Stop saying what you don't know. The North never protested.
How would you know the North protested, so far there were many Igbos would you care?
Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by merry02(m): 1:05pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
on Buhari appointment, I can't say for now until he has constituted his cabinet. We are not been fair on Him, I think. Buhari has mostly appointed security positions and in this type of appointments, you appoint those you trust. Like I said before, I am from SS, if I am the president today, do you expect my ADC, SCO, NSA, head of DSS, Chief of Army staff should come from the North? Or you want make hypertension kill me?
Jonathan appointed southerners in all this key security positions when he was elected, why people didn't notice was because he appointed his ministers along with them.
pls stop playing ostrich here!was it like that during Obj,yardua,GEj?INEC nd AGF nko?if u like come frm S/E,nepotism ll ever be Nigeria issues

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Lajet: 1:11pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I am from the south south, and I support fiscal federalism. My is, if one is calling for a National dialogue, all regions should be fairly represented. And the delegate should be chosen by their people. Jonathan just hand picked people. Less call a spade a spade.

Shut up liar Every Yoruba and North people's claims to be from from South South

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2015
kutchs:

You hit the nail on the head. The list of the participants

Here is the list of participant - 492 Deligates
http://leadership.ng/news/352593/national-confab-jonathan-releases-list-492-delegates

The is the name of chairman
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/03/jonathan-names-kutigi-national-confab-chairman/
http://www.informationng.com/2014/03/national-confab-jonathan-names-ex-cjn-kutigi-chairman-akinyemi-vice.html

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by fitzmayowa: 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2015
omolami:
Meaning Arewa, the north is doing the north because same Confab was headed by a northerner and an Arewan..The wailing northerners

This is another valid proof the so called ACF had issues with GEJ's presidency, just because he his from the south, hence the little or no support he got from them...

The confab was headed by a northerner for heaven sakes, why all this hate against anything GEJ even after he left office

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by EasternLion: 1:16pm On Jul 31, 2015
Who saw they are using North to say what they want to say?
We Arewa, we North.

But when it comes to us
.N/Delta, we Igbos, we Ijaws, SS, SE, Igbo nation.

Why not collectively answer East?
"Oh no, Igbo man wants our oil, Igbos will dominate us Niger Deltans".
Ok OK then use ur Original name Biafra.

"I am not Biafran oh, if u come to Cross River and shout Biafra, u will not go back alive".
"Biafra is for Igbos, we are N/Delta, I want resource control and amnesty money".

"Oh no, Nnamdi Kanu is spreading hate and seditious, we enlightened Igbos don't support him".

The North will always have their way.

55 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 1:17pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
Even at that the way he selected them by category is ok to and comprise men of diverse discipline from all regions

here is the list of the Confab delegates by category

http://leadership.ng/news/352593/national-confab-jonathan-releases-list-492-delegates

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
You are right other regions have so caused divisions among us -Easterners , it usually from the north/west such divisive sentiment originate from. They use the old divide and rule system of governance which developed countries have long dropped.
often brain washing the SS regions and causing them to be divided because as long as they remain un-united its easy to keep milky off the region.
Nigeria claim to copy America in many ways ,even in their democracy, but the economy of Nigeria has remained a mono economy, its survival /budget etc hugely depends on only one source of income which is OIL. Unlike the US economy that is very diversified.
America produces far more oil than Nigeria from state of Texas yet other states are self actualizing and viable on their own and making their own income and not minding oil in Texas, the confab address all this, the reason for the clamour of federalism of all regions and all states.

EasternLion:
Who saw they are using North to say what they want to say?
We Arewa, we North.

But when it comes to us
.N/Delta, we Igbos, we Ijaws, SS, SE, Igbo nation.

Why not collectively answer East?
"Oh no, Igbo man wants our oil, Igbos will dominate us Niger Deltans".
Ok OK then use ur Original name Biafra.

"I am not Biafran oh, if u come to Cross River and shout Biafra, u will not go back alive".
"Biafra is for Igbos, we are N/Delta, I want resource control and amnesty money".

"Oh no, Nnamdi Kanu is spreading hate and seditious, we enlightened Igbos don't support him".

The North will always have their way.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Demdem(m): 1:32pm On Jul 31, 2015
merry02:
pls stop playing ostrich here!was it like that during Obj,yardua,GEj?INEC nd AGF nko?if u like come frm S/E,nepotism ll ever be Nigeria issues

The person u qouted made salient points. Read it again and u will appreciate it better. In otherwords, it's basically premature considering that MOST positions aren't being filled yet.
@ topic, the Confab was a waste. The APC govt now governing from the beginning were never in support and they gave their reasons then. It will be foolish for anyone to think the same APC will implement. Report is best shredded

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by wisdomguy4u(m): 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2015
phyllosilicate:
How would you know the North protested, so far there were many Igbos would you care?

Pls What concerns "Igbos" with the topic at hand? You claim the North protested against the confab nomination and jonathan overlooked their protest. Can you post the source of your claim?

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by merry02(m): 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
Demdem:

The person u qouted made salient points. Read it again and u will appreciate it better. In otherwords, it's basically premature considering that MOST positions aren't being filled yet.
@ topic, the Confab was a waste. The APC govt now governing from the beginning were never in support and they gave their reasons then. It will be foolish for anyone to think the same APC will implement. Report is best shredded
time ll tell!
Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Chiaka(f): 1:37pm On Jul 31, 2015
Demdem:

For those affected the Confab is a way to balance an imbalance system! surprising question is 'why is it only the north that's condemning the confab??!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Demdem(m): 1:38pm On Jul 31, 2015
Chiaka:

Even at that the way he selected them by category is ok to and comprise men of diverse discipline from all regions

here is the list of the Confab delegates by category

Who are u to determine that? It was mainly political selection from pdp states and the presidency.
What we need is not a NC but an SNC.
Re: Jonathan’s Confab Anti-north, Says ACF by Demdem(m): 1:39pm On Jul 31, 2015
merry02:
time ll tell!

Just a question for u.........
What are the major differences BTW obj NC and last year NC?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Charms Seen At APC Secretariat In Delta (Photos) / Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament / Precious Chikwendu ‘Attempted To Withdraw Money’ From Account Under Watch – EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.