Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,500 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:12 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (347397 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2006
@cabali:
Please, calm down, my friend!  I do not mean to offend the cuisine of Nigeria.  As I say, I am not at all familiar with this.  I am just wanting to know of its proper use in the preparation of food.  For example, in some cooking the bay leaf is used to season the food, but is discarded and not eaten after it is cooked.

My apologies.  Are we still friends?   embarassed
Re: Nigerian Recipes by dennylove(m): 12:10am On Oct 18, 2006
AMAKA1,na wetin you wan KILL US with this palatable dishes, haba.no let this ur dishes cause WAHALA,for this site, abeg, i no say you don win award for MAGGI COOKING COMPETITION, before.he don do. grin grin grin infact you dey make my heart poko-poko.i wish say i go see you MARRY, AMAKA1,because I KNOW SAY YOU GO SABI WIN A MAN HEART WIT UR COOKING. grin shocked shocked grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kewe(f): 12:33am On Oct 18, 2006
men and food! grin
Good work Amaka
Re: Nigerian Recipes by munai(f): 12:40am On Oct 18, 2006
Amaka you are da bomb, them recipes are fine.

I eat 'point and Kill' catfish pepper soup in Naija, someone hook up up with recipe, I am jot sure when to add the fresh fish, Amaka or anyone HELP!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 10:47am On Oct 18, 2006
guys thanks for the appreciation. Hope you are trying out the recipes at home as well??

@ drrionelli I'm sorry I missed your questions.

as per the bushmeat it is almost like rabbit with a more gamey taste I think.

the kpomo you do not discard after cooking, it is an integral part of the soup now!!

I tried to answer the rest of your questions in a previous post about the rest of the ingredients. I trust that was helpful?

@ cabali, so when are you cooking?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 5:51pm On Oct 18, 2006
@amaka1:
Indeed! And thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Your assistance is much appreciated and very helpful, too! There's a lot I need to learn about Nigerian foods and cooking. Please bear with me. I know I ask a lot of questions!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 8:20pm On Oct 18, 2006
@Amaka; I am cooking on saturday! I will be hungry on that day for sure!!!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by jaybaby(f): 8:29pm On Oct 18, 2006
Amaka hmmm !!!! My Husband loves OGBONO soup so much--- that 1 attracted me lik hEAVEN grin grin grin grin

If you r the 1 that cooked all dizz ----gurl u r good! CONGT!

do you no of any book dat these recipes r listed? cuz i would really love 2 b a PERFECT cook!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by TEEZERO(m): 9:08pm On Oct 18, 2006
By the powers not conferred on me, this thread shall henceforth be known as AMAKA's BUKATERIA.
I can publish your Cookbook, when you are ready.
Bon apettit
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 8:03am On Oct 19, 2006
@ drrionelli always happy to help

@ jaybaby I hope he enjoys the soup sha

lol @ dennylove &TEE ZERO

@ cabali I dey fear to ask even , what's up on Saturday? am I invited too?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 10:27am On Oct 19, 2006
@ Amaka

U know u r invited! please come early so u will be the one doing the cooking grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by molluma(f): 9:35am On Oct 26, 2006
amaka thanks a lot been looking 4 the recipe of Banga soup.must say u r a babe that has it all,looks etc.u shld see my profile picture,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 2:43pm On Oct 26, 2006
back to the recipes
Re: Nigerian Recipes by molluma(f): 2:48pm On Oct 26, 2006
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 2:52pm On Oct 26, 2006
I mean recipes; the reason we are here?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by molluma(f): 2:54pm On Oct 26, 2006
i know that.i aint that dumb.as soon as amaka is online we wld b bac to that.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 3:05pm On Oct 26, 2006
we dont have to wait for amaka; u can come up with something; maybe an appetizer? whatcha think!!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by molluma(f): 3:12pm On Oct 26, 2006
im ok at cooking but not good at xplianing.but i will give a hint instead of addin water and sugar to fruit salad try using orange juice and the water from water melon(u just got to b innovative to get out the water)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 3:25pm On Oct 26, 2006
and u r sounding desperate cos I asked for appetizer not desert!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by molluma(f): 3:27pm On Oct 26, 2006
u said 'MAYBE' so i came up wit a desert.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2006
Ok then; my bad! u go girl!!!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by nnada(f): 12:20pm On Oct 27, 2006
All the food here is nice and makes the mouth to water. Who knows the recipe of amala and iwedu soup. I will like to know please. tongue wink
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2006
I know for amala grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by olarewajuv(f): 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2006
sweetheart, u are the best cook i ve even com in contarct with. pls where are u from tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: Nigerian Recipes by jaybaby(f): 6:15pm On Oct 27, 2006
You r really 4m JALINGO
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 7:28pm On Oct 28, 2006
hey, hey, hey! we are discussing recipes here; not personality angry
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 8:36am On Oct 30, 2006
Hey guys,

sorry I missed all your posts.

I'm writing exams, so things are a bit hectic for me right now.

I have a couple more good recipes I will add later today.

Have a good one!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 8:40am On Oct 30, 2006
Ukazi Soup

Ingredients:
Egusi(melon)
Ukpo or Achi(soup thickeners)
Achara(bamboo but the softer one)I don't know what they call it here
Ngara azu(small dry fish)
Ayiya(crayfish)
Azu okpo(dry fish)
Okporoko (stock fish)
Aku agbo(melon balls/biscuit) recipe coming up soon
Mgbe(kind of seafood, don’t know the English name)
Assorted anu (meat), also assorted bush meat and dry meat (kai to die for)
Manu nri (Palm oil)
Ukazi (shredded)

First cook your okporoko and other hard meat like cow leg and ox tail. Boil meat and azu okpo; add pepper and oil as the meat is boiling. Watch the tenderness, you do not want it to be soggy.
After add ukpo or achi…I prefer ukpo because of the taste. Allow few minutes and add ayiya and ngara azu and let it boil…. allow few minutes to boil, and then taste the sauce/soup to see if it is done. Also the color and the thickness of the broth should let you know if the ingredients are done.
At this time your soup should be slightly thick but not too thick like Eguisi soup…be careful adding Egusi at this time because it also serves as soup thickener.
Allow it to boil for few minutes then add the aku agbo and achara…few more minutes for it to simmer then add Ukazi leaves.

1 Share

Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 9:06am On Oct 30, 2006
Okro Soup

500g/llb assorted parts of meat (washed)
I medium smoked fish (washed)
225g / 8oz stockfish (pre- soaked)
22 5g / 8oz bushmeat (washed)
500g/ llb fresh okro
225g / 8oz bitter leaf (washed)
150ml / 5/7 oz palm-oil
3pt stock or water
I OOg / 4oz ground crayfish
25g / loz iru (locust bean)
I OOg / 4oz ground pepper

Place the washed meats in a large pot, add a drop of water or stock, season with salt and ground pepper and boil for 30 minutes or until tender. Add the smoked fish and stock fish, cook for another 10 minutes. Add the rest of the stock. Prepare the okro by washing thoroughly in cold water. Divide into two, finely chop one half and cut the rest into small rounds. Add the prepared okro together with the washed bitterleaf to the boiling soup and stir. Add the palm-oil and iru, allow to bubble and simmer for 5 minutes, sprinkle in ground crayfish and stir. Simmer for another 10minutes. Check seasoning and serve hot with pounded yam.

VARIATIONS
Fresh Pumpkin leaves (Ugwu), waterleaf or uzoza leaves can be substituted for bitterleaf in this recipe. It can also be cooked plain without using any of the vegetables. This is better known as lla Alasepo

1 Share

Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 7:25pm On Oct 30, 2006
@ Amaka1 will u stop this thing u are doing to me?

Amaka1 must be probed; how can one girl know how to do all this, with a smile on the face; this is just too impressive
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2006
meanwhile, amaka what is the difference between Afang and okazi?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 9:38am On Oct 31, 2006
cabali:

meanwhile, amaka what is the difference between Afang and okazi?

lol@cabali did you cook yet?

"Afang", "Ukazi" or "Okazi are the same leaves and are leaves from a climbing vine. Afang Leaves are high in protein.

The difference is in the style in which the soups are made I think. I posted both the recipes for the two different soups so you can see how they are prepared differently with the variety of ingredients in the soups.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.