Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,769 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? (35932 Views)

30 Habits That Show Improper Upbringing Of Children / Mother Beating Her 16-Year-Old Daughter For Sharing After Sex Photos On Fb [VIDE / Photos: 11 Bad Habits Of Children Caused By Their Parents Unknowingly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 27, 2015
spear the rod and spoil the child

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by oyeezah(f): 6:42am On Oct 27, 2015
if it can b moderated. cos most teachers, especially those in public schools often go out of hand wt discipline n find kids returning home wt bruises

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by slapandfall(m): 6:47am On Oct 27, 2015
JOOHEL:
A VERY TOUCHING STORY.
A little gal saw a dead cat on the road on her way back from school. She was so sad because she loved cats so she touched it, she touched it again, she touched it and touched it. She paused for a while den she touched it again. She went home to change into new clothes and came back to touch it again.She kept touching.. . As I told u earlier its a touching story.

U be cow u hear!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by bongolistik(m): 6:49am On Oct 27, 2015
Bollinger:

Beating a child because it is our culture is a wrong mentality. It is also a lazy way of leading your child. That is what you are to your child...A leader. Don't get get me wrong I spanked my kids when they were younger but after a certain age it does not work anymore. Anyone who spanks their children after the age of eleven should look inwards at their parenting style. There are other corrective ways of rehabilitation.
sir please define culture, and how is the statement a wrong mentality. In the US you won't see pupils being beaten, in Nigeria it is a general thing. Is that not culture? I was told when I was a kid that culture is the totality of people's ways of life. I just want you to explain how the statement "beating kids is part of our culture" what made it a wrong mentality... Were you no flogged when you were growing up?

Sir if you also read what I wrote well, I never mentioned that beating a child should be done because it is our culture. No, I didn't say that, I even said that it is individual thing. And it is culture that we inherited. Of course the sole reason why kids should be flogged is to correct his/her wrongs and not because it's our culture and that doesn't still deny the facts that it is our culture

Fufu is my cultural food, I like eating Fufu not because it is my cultural food, but because I enjoy eating Fufu.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by blezdem(m): 6:50am On Oct 27, 2015
Spare the rod and spoil the child. If your parents use it on you and did not die, why then feel that if a teacher beats ur child, he/she will die?

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Franky9584(m): 6:55am On Oct 27, 2015
y not, if u dont want ur child to be beaten or flogged, then let him or her stay at home wit u.

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by chinedujazzy(m): 6:55am On Oct 27, 2015
Talking about beating,no one does that,but I fully concur that a child should be purnished for doing wrongs! Don't just beat a child,I think the term "beat"should be replaced with "PURNISH".
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by toprealman: 6:56am On Oct 27, 2015
freethinker01:
Hell to the noooo.
I can't just allow ma kids to be caned, it doesn't just make any sense tho ma parents used it on me countless times, i would say it doesn't have any effect on me.
Rods are meant for animals n criminals nah.
CLEARLY THEY SPARED THE ROD IN YOUR CASE.

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Dyt(f): 6:58am On Oct 27, 2015
babysophie:
U beta b ur child's teacher den.

You must be a wicked teacher oooo
cheesy cheesy

You only threaten and not beat
Yes I give him.iladi
Hot ones

Some teachers are winch and winzards
I took him to school to teach him and not beat him
Why beat my son
You can ask him knee down
Punish not too long
But beat?
Na
I won't take that from you
Use pankere
Use all sorts
Never
Especially when he now comes home with marks?
You are long dead
angry angry
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 27, 2015
Beating is good. Even the holy books endorse the use of the rod of discipline in correcting a child.

However, the kind of beating i encountered in Command Day Secondary School Ikeja, shouldn't even be applied on animals.

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by wyqay: 7:02am On Oct 27, 2015
Beating at home and in school is part of it,it can't be rule out.but we will do it with love.either you are a teacher or parent after the beating let them know the reason for your action and the negative effect in their life.
Beating is a way of correction.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by simplisity(m): 7:09am On Oct 27, 2015
Yes, i support 110%, because bible even lay more emphasis by saying that, if u spare the rod ( if u fail to beat ur child wen he or she done somtin wrong) u will spoil d child. Beat him or her with d right hand and bring him back wit d left hand. Give him words of correction and encouragemnt, he will not do it again, but dont beat in all circumstance.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by 3coins(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2015
babygirlfl:
I do not believe in beating kids and don't beat mine. So Mr/Mrs teacher, please don't beat my child.

and a potential mother said this...... No matter what the child does...the teacher has no right to beat your child?..... You better home tutor the child then.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Niceiroko: 7:15am On Oct 27, 2015
Open schl for ur room
babygirlfl:
I do not believe in beating kids and don't beat mine. So Mr/Mrs teacher, please don't beat my child.

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by braxjay(m): 7:17am On Oct 27, 2015
FOOLISHNESS ABOUND IN THE HEART OF A CHILD BUT THE ROD OF CORRECTION DRIVES IT FARRRRRR AWAY FROM HIM

DEAR TEACHER FLOG ! ! ! ! !
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 27, 2015
AdeniyiA:

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Have I said there is no God?
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by towbaino(m): 7:19am On Oct 27, 2015
Even Jesus Christ was floggd.......... so to flog d child is necessary ....... evn d bible affirms that fact...........
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by free2ryhme: 7:20am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:
Most people(Nigerians) believe that without beating their children, the child will become disobedient, and they regard beating of kids as a way of being giving them good discipline...

Some parents even tell their children's teachers to beat the hell out of them if they do not obey school laws or fail some subjects..

So the topic is do you believe in beating of children (most especially in schools) as a way of discipline or as an act of wickedness??

Let's hear your views..

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Prov 22:15
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 27, 2015
babysophie:
Laffs...u take dem to schools wre u pay heavily still dey r taught by unskilled n underpaid labour. Whatever u feel,my school n community r very happy to v m. One doesn't nid to b an English Professor to teach.

No I get high quality education for my kids FOR FREE and the teachers still don't beat them because they have been trained better, MUCH BETTER. See the difference between developed and developing nations? God, this thread is so depressing.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by braxjay(m): 7:21am On Oct 27, 2015
RedCapChief:
[size=13pt]My father was flogged at school
I was flogged at school
My children will be flogged at school[/size]

GBAM!!!!!!!
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by babygirlfl: 7:24am On Oct 27, 2015
3coins:

and a potential mother said this...... No matter what the child does...the teacher has no right to beat your child?..... You better home tutor the child then.

I am a mum. My child attends school in a place children don't get beaten. Just to let you know, I discipline my child but don't beat.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by HaneefahRN(f): 7:26am On Oct 27, 2015
My mom is a maths teacher but she doesn't flog her students, just a good pinch and pulling of ur ears will bring back ur brain from where it travelled to. If the student really bleeped up then punishment comes in.
Her children are a different case study though, she beats us when need be. While growing up I used to think she is wicked, but now I'av realised it was for my own good.
A teacher can beat my children, as long as the beating is justifiable and not extreme enough to leave marks, I prefer punishments though. Some teachers are also naturally wicked, and take delight in flogging students for senseless reasons even going to d extreme and leaving scars. A friend of mine was beaten to the extent that her nails were broken, just cos the useless teacher had asked her out and she declined, the class was making noise and she took the brunt of it. If a teacher shld try that with my child, the person will smell pepper
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by RegalD(m): 7:26am On Oct 27, 2015
People like me are so much adapted to beating provided it is not meant for goats and criminals which I'm not albeit it is enough to punish me. But depriving me of what I want is a greater punishment.
Guys, there are whole lot of ways to discipline children. Deprive an AJEBO from watching TV for some weeks, I promise you he will change.
Deprive an AJEPAKO of his meal, and beat stealing out of him In case he stole any food outside.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 27, 2015
Bome01:
It will do a lot of help mentioning some ways to correct a child other than spanking. Be specific with the kind of punishments to be meted out.

A teacher can:

- give a student time-out, the student will have to go to a separate room to do exercises on his own
- can ask the student to write a short text, in which he or she will reflect on his own wrong-doing and what consequences it has for him / her and others
- the teacher can ask the student to do extra work that will be useful to the school, help the caretaker for example
- a teacher can discipline the students with grades
- a teacher can make students take additional tests
- a teacher can engage the principle, the principle can make the student stay at home for a couple of days
- a teacher can TALK to his students
- a teacher can inform parents
- a teacher can use peer-pressure

But more importantly a GOOD teacher knows that troublesome students misbehave for a reason and he will get to the core of it and encourage good behavior SUCCESSFULLY sometimes with and sometimes without punishment.

There are teachers who have the ability to get through to the most troublesome students without beating, making a positive change.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 27, 2015
lastpage:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are you a kid?

I bet you did not do all these when you were a kid

I go beat you tire today! shocked grin grin grin

Lastpage!

No, beatings were not part of my upbringing and I was a lovely, well-behaved and smart child and doing very well at school.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 27, 2015
slimmy05:
This is a reference point where it should start, if parents fail to do their job, teachers will help and if parents do their job teachers won't be in that situation.

If parents fail to do their job, teachers won't help these kids by beating them up. The kids, whose parents fail, have been punished enough with such parents.

I am sure you would have achieved the same or better results with your cousin without spanking him. You applied a variety of methods to help him. The way I see it is that your cousin felt genuinely cared for in an appropriate way and this is what helped. You could have left out the spanking, used different disciplining methods, and you would see the child develop nonetheless.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Zambux(f): 7:36am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:
Most people(Nigerians) believe that without beating their children, the child will become disobedient, and they regard beating of kids as a way of being giving them good discipline...

Some parents even tell their children's teachers to beat the hell out of them if they do not obey school laws or fail some subjects..

So the topic is do you believe in beating of children (most especially in schools) as a way of discipline or as an act of wickedness??

Let's hear your views..
am a teacher and i discipline kids with cane weneva dey misbehave
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by softandsweet(f): 7:37am On Oct 27, 2015
Spare the rod and spoil the child was no coincidence.... flogging is part of discipline, but moderation is the key. And it shouldn't always be regular and most of all, the child should know why he is been punished. At a certain age in children, (2-14 years) words of wisdom sounds like gibberish to children. So after 14 years, you can start talking and advising them.... but till then, when a child is stubborn, and doesn't behave, after advising or telling them what to do, flogging them will not fail to restore them to their factory settings.....

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by kunzaar83(m): 7:37am On Oct 27, 2015
jaykaylegend:
I don't think I can raise up my hand to beat my own child (except some little slaps and knocks when necessary) not to talk of another person beating him/her....
Seems inhumane to me.. There are other ways to correct a child then beating...

FTC for the first time since I joined nairaland. Congrats to me, more FTCs to come....

Meanwhile,
BREAKING NEWS !!!
Dstv has moved all Chelsea matches to cartoon Network to pave way for SERIOUS matches on super sport
channels.
if u don't make Ūя̲̅ child cry bitterly for his or her wrong doings, that child will defimately make u cry bitterly, and @ the end of the day they will hate you for not telling them the truth when they re young, beating a child is not that you don't love him but its currection, coz most children are too young to know the dangers of what they are doing and ordinary talking to them won't make them stop that, and that of the teacher, if the cnhild knows that his teacher has no right to beat or punish him for any wrong doing what do you expect from him? Many children bcome armed robbers, prostitutes, end of becoming very useless in life not bcoz u don't have money to train them but bcoz u their parents were loving them too much....

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by awesome11(m): 7:40am On Oct 27, 2015
Here's the story of the early part of my life.

Like every other kid in my immediate environment, I had been too rude and disobedient- I was never doing my chores. I would always make a mess of the books bought for me from my parent's hustle. As you might have guessed, I was bottom of my class and I saw nothing wrong in it. I remember vividly that night I walked into her room, I saw her weeping and discussing my issue with God. I apologised to her and promised to change. If I ever did, it was shortlived. To them, it was a spiritual problem.

Not until I got to Primary three, and I met that destiny-moulding class teacher. Mr Ayo strategically mentored me with a combination of corporate punishment, 'caning' and heart-heart talk. Before long, I had learnt quite a hug quality of morals and I literally became the father of the house. I was always making sure my younger ones behaved well and I looked after our home upkeep. To crown it all, I was deservedly elected the Senior Prefect boy both in Primary and secondary school. To hype myself a little, I'm the second best student in my department (400L Mechanical Engineering).

However, I grew to love soccer and would always go out at night to watch UCL matches, and return around 11pm. I had been corrected, all to no avail. I came back on that fateful night, to receive tonnes of beating from my mum. I didn't cry but these words came out of my mouth: " You had better not kill yourself! You didn't even bother to ask why I'm always going out on most midweek nights". She paused and told me to go pick up my food in the kitchen. Funny enough,she had to use pain relievers throughout that week. That was my last beating.

Morals:
* Mr Ayo recognised the kind of kid I was, and he duly employed the right discipline techniques.

* Disciplinary techniques should be reviewed as your ward comes of age.

*Kids are different. Identify yours and formulate the appropriate way to deal with them!

Awesome11!

Do you believe I typed all this inside traffic, and the journey to work is still about 75% left! LAGOS traffic could be demonic.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by 3coins(m): 7:43am On Oct 27, 2015
babygirlfl:

I am a mum. My child attends school in a place children don't get beaten. Just to let you know, I discipline my child but don't beat.
a place where children don't get beaten....your choice tho... But abroad where children don't get beaten, we see how spoilt their children become
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Gwan2(m): 7:45am On Oct 27, 2015
P
JOOHEL:
A VERY TOUCHING STORY.
A little gal saw a dead cat on the road on her way back from school. She was so sad because she loved cats so she touched it, she touched it again, she touched it and touched it. She paused for a while den she touched it again. She went home to change into new clothes and came back to touch it again.She kept touching.. . As I told u earlier its a touching story.
U got me laughing hysterically mehn..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

88-year-old Man Seeks Divorce From 55-year-old Wife Over Infidelity / Annoying Attitudes Some Men Display / Has A Wife In Nigeria But Sleeping With Client As A Psychologist In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.