Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (69856 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 4:21pm On May 19, 2009
Im worried and find it difficult to convince people that we are (not) igbos.Please your view will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 4:54pm On May 19, 2009
This is going to be a very controversial thread.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 19, 2009
this thread already exists somewhere.
expect the moderator to lock it.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tamme: 5:13pm On May 19, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tamme: 5:14pm On May 19, 2009
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 19, 2009
tamme, why do you find it necessary to be nasty?
threadstarter asked a question rather than asnwer the question and back ur answers up with proof you've gone ahead to tell us how
'your neighbours hate you, you igbo people should stop forcing people ethnic groups on people'

what da heck!

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tamme: 5:42pm On May 19, 2009
maybe dislike
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04pm On May 19, 2009
Asha80 is right, this will be a very controversial thread, and I think the best thing to do is to lock the thread. In the mean time though, Track, maybe if you define what is "Igbo" and who the "Igbo" are, you might have a better chance of proving how you are not "Igbo".

5 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 19, 2009
OMO IBO:

this thread already exists somewhere.
expect the moderator to lock it.

I have searched for a similar thread and I haven't seen anything.

Anyways if you care to know, we have an official Ukwani thread. Why don't you take a look?

Official Ukwuani Thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-125499.32.html

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Abagworo(m): 10:24pm On May 19, 2009
Tamme is not from akwaibom.i know where you are from and why you started this thread with another name.COWARD
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tamme: 12:44am On May 20, 2009
at poster[b] track[/b] come and respond to your thread, before I get cursed out
I will just erase my post
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 2:51pm On May 20, 2009
What i mean is whether ukwuani pple have same cultural traits with "the igbos" but not whether they are "igbos". The ukwuani greet ajeh for men and oteofe for women and the language is differrent from igbo lanuage in many other dimensions. Title holders in ndokwa land where ukwuani pple reside put on red cap and bead as the igbos. Please what is ur view.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 3:26pm On May 20, 2009
This house help now.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 3:34pm On May 20, 2009
what do you want to know?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:01pm On May 20, 2009
TRACK:

What i mean is whether ukwuani pple have same cultural traits with "the igbos" but not whether they are "igbos".
Don't they share the same cultural traits as "the Igbo".
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 11:19am On May 21, 2009
Don't they share the same cultural traits as "the Igbo". please expantiate ur view.

we are here to learn.Put light to these points- do the ukwuani marry like the igbo,dance like them,eat same type of food,or can someone that hail from say enugu who has not had contact the the ukwuani pple nor lived in their land understand ukwuani at first instance,pari pasu?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 11:42am On May 21, 2009
TRACK:

Don't they share the same cultural traits as "the Igbo". please expantiate ur view.

we are here to learn.Put light to these points- do the ukwuani marry like the igbo,dance like them,eat same type of food,or can someone that hail from say enugu who has not had contact the the ukwuani pple nor lived in their land understand ukwuani at first instance,pari pasu?

my father who is a typical obowo man from imo state and speaks only the obowo dialect of igbo does not understand 40 percent of what the typical owerri man eg sunny bobo says in his owerri dialect yet thet are igbos from the same state.

4 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Kx: 11:55am On May 21, 2009
Though we understand almost everything
the ibo man says,and they code us a bit when we speak,
Ukwuani ppl are not ibo.

I guess ur question stems from the similarity of the spoken word.
Here is an example.
Rivers and Ikwerre calls spoon ngangi,ibo calls spoon nganji.ukwuani calls it ngaji
Ikwerre calls plate fara,ibo calls it afare,ukwuani calls it efele

Can we then conclude from that similarity in language dat ikwerre ppl
in rivers are ibos?

same goes for ukwuani and ibos,they aint ibos.just my humble opinion.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by grafikdon: 12:11pm On May 21, 2009
Kx:

Here is an example.
Rivers [/b]and Ikwerre calls spoon [b]ngangi,ibo calls spoon nganji.ukwuani calls it ngaji
Ikwerre calls plate fara,ibo calls it afare,ukwuani calls it efele

Rivers? Is that an ethnic group? BTW, Plate in Igbo is Efere/efele. . .

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 12:28pm On May 21, 2009
For  people that not familiar with sunny bobo this is a typical owerri dialect

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/sAeTQLOHlLk[/flash]

This one is ukwuani dialect

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/-TkcRN_eQz0&feature=related[/flash]

For people that are not from owerri or born in owerri which one do you understand more.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:58pm On May 21, 2009
Okay, Kx, please, define "I[g]bo" for us. What is "I[g]bo"? Who are the "I[g]bo"? Seriously, the sooner you all define what is, and who are, the "I[g]bo", the easier it will be for you all to prove how you are not like them (or part of them).
Also, I doubt an Ukwuani will really understand what an Ngwa speaker says.

Track, I was actually asking a question. I just forgot to put a question mark at the end. I'm asking because I am not Ukwuani (so I wouldn't know), and I'm assuming that you are. So you might be able to answer my question, seeing as to how you seem versed in this Ukwuani-Igbo issue.

TRACK:

can someone that hail from say enugu who has not had contact the the ukwuani pple nor lived in their land understand ukwuani at first instance,pari pasu?
Also, Track, can you read Igbo? If someone wrote to you in Igbo, would you be able to understand it?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Owen2(m): 1:18pm On May 21, 2009
Ofcourse Ukwuani is igbo,what a dumb question!

6 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 8:57am On May 22, 2009
ChinenyeN asked :Also, Track, can you read Igbo? If someone wrote to you in Igbo, would you be able to understand it?

The truth is that i cannot read igbo but now i understand igbo(not well) after staying there for five years for my acada.

Owen Prove ur point for us to know.

House, im not going to take side on this matter. But remember that culture goes beyond langauge.What about marriage. In ukwuani, marriage is not "expensive" as it is in the igbo, the our market days are not rotational as it is in most igbo communities i know.musicals are of difernt lyrics,accents etc. consider all these.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:59pm On May 22, 2009
TRACK:

ChinenyeN asked :Also, Track, can you read Igbo? If someone wrote to you in Igbo, would you be able to understand it?

The truth is that  i cannot read igbo but now i understand igbo(not well) after staying there for five years for my acada.
Ok. Where in Igboland did you stay during those five years?

TRACK:

House, im not going to take side on this matter. But remember that culture goes beyond langauge.What about marriage. In ukwuani, marriage is not "expensive" as it is in the igbo, the our market days are not rotational as it is in most igbo communities i know.musicals are of difernt lyrics,accents etc. consider all these.
So, are you asserting that the Igbo practice the same things, the same ways?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 1:16pm On May 22, 2009
ChinenyeN (m Ok. Where in Igboland did you stay during those five years?. I Stayed in Enugu,Abakaliki and have many from Nsukka,Ngwa,Afikgbo,Awka,Effiong in Ebonyi state etc.

No never say so and i stand to be corrected.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:32pm On May 22, 2009
TRACK:

ChinenyeN (m   Ok. Where in Igboland did you stay during those five years?. I Stayed  in Enugu,Abakaliki and have many from Nsukka,Ngwa,Afikgbo,Awka,Effiong in Ebonyi state etc.
Okay. So I'm assuming you had the opportunity to hear their different tongues, yes?

TRACK:

No never say so and i stand to be corrected.
I don't understand what you mean by you saying that you stand to be corrected. Do you mind explaining that for me?

TRACK:

Okay, now let me address this. Track, this above quote, concerning the Ukwuani, is an example of regional variance. Now, say that one decides to walk from Izaa community in the northeast all the way down to any of the Riverine Igbo groups, one would notice, along the way, how different and distinct the regional variances in culture are between groups. There is no one style of dancing. Each Igbo group has its own different accent, and lyrics. The masquerades are not same. Simply put, each Igbo group has its own respective, regional style of doing things that is different and distinct from other groups. So if the regional difference is the basis for why Ukwuani is not considered Igbo, then I see it only fitting that the same principle be applied to all other Igbo groups. After all, each group is different and distinct. (And I mean this with all sincerity.)

4 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AloyEmeka9: 5:25pm On May 22, 2009
Where is tpiah to come and clarify blurry issues here after all she is a delta Igbo expert professor.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 8:56pm On May 22, 2009
In today's Nigerian context, the Ukwuani are 100% Igbo. What does Ukwuani mean?. The meaning will tell you whom they are. Though there were different migration patterns of people into Ukwuani for example from Nri, Bini, Urhobo etc, but the aborigenes are Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AloyEmeka9: 9:02pm On May 22, 2009
nnam, ka anyi gbaaratu Sunny bobo. This song dey kill me die.

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGx7rdCDUok&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 22, 2009
Alo Emeka, the song or the dancers.
See ya self
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AloyEmeka9: 9:20pm On May 22, 2009
Lol, i love both. That tall chic in 17:42 mins, yum yum wink wink
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 22, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Lol, i love both. That tall chic in 17:42 mins, yum yum wink wink
LOL, as if I didn't know that tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.