Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,686 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (69922 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 2:49pm On Nov 19, 2011
Wesley80.
It is very annoying for to dismiss the rich archaeological excavations of Igbo people and claim that it is a culture of an unknown people. Nwa Aboh, do not write what you do not know and at the same time claimed that Igbo ama eze to buttress your mischievous claim.
The site in Igbo Ukwu you and Chyz are referencing is that of an elite personnel (King). But you distorted history by adding the Igbo have no kings aspect. So, how did they have EZE, OBI OR IGWE. The reason why in most parts of Igboland, no body was allowed to ascend Ezeship was to avoid tyranny. One of the Igbo basis of status being achieved, it would have been wrong for anybody to become Eze without displaying an exceptional quality. For this reason there was Ezeship which no one occupied because the conditions were too high. One of the as Chinua Achebe wrote in TFA was that the person must pay the debt of all the men in that village. And this debt will not be paid back. So who had that kind of money to achieve all this?.
My aim here is that Igbo history should not be distorted.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by pazienza(m): 3:22pm On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

@abagworo,
Ukwuani becomes different when you factor in ethnic affiliation, culture, history and practices. If you agree that people from Aboh settled up river and possibly founded now Igbo towns, how then can you justify classifying same Aboh people as a sub-group of an area they helped create? Doesnt add up to me. Attempts to classify these people as mere Igbo clans translates to a denial of their roots, traditions and history. People want to be Ukwuani just as you want to hold on to your Igbo identity even though you could be merely Nigerian - that i perfectly understand.

I think the mistake you are making is that you tend to group everybody in the SE as the same,having the same language and culture,that's where you are making a mistake,in the SE we have groups who have many differences but choose to rather look at their similarities,i am an idemili man,and believe me,i can only understand about 40% of what an izzi man speaks,it will be so easy for me to point out the language and cultural differences between idemili and other igbo groups like abriba,aro,oru,isu,etc,but i choose not to,rather i look at the similarities,maybe ukwuani needs to start doing the same.

You people say uberegede for ozoemena,well in Ogidi,we say ufala for anuri(happiness),i dnt think any one outside idemili will understand that.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 4:43pm On Nov 19, 2011
asha 80:

for the bolded then why some are saying that they are not igbo?

Because they arent. These are folks whose forebears migrated upwards centuries ago but maintained and kept their roots, centuries later, their descendants moved back home and were accepted but also brought back acquired traditions and tongues. Dont take my word for it, these families still exist and so does Aboh.

Andre Uweh:

Wesley80.
It is very annoying for to dismiss the rich archaeological excavations of Igbo people and claim that it is a culture of an unknown people. Nwa Aboh, do not write what you do not know and at the same time claimed that Igbo ama eze to buttress your mischievous claim.
The site in Igbo Ukwu you and Chyz are referencing is that of an elite personnel (King). But you distorted history by adding the Igbo have no kings aspect. So, how did they have EZE, OBI OR IGWE. The reason why in most parts of Igboland, no body was allowed to ascend Ezeship was to avoid tyranny. One of the Igbo basis of status being achieved, it would have been wrong for anybody to become Eze without displaying an exceptional quality. For this reason there was Ezeship which no one occupied because the conditions were too high. One of the as Chinua Achebe wrote in TFA was that the person must pay the debt of all the men in that village. And this debt will not be paid back. So who had that kind of money to achieve all this?.
My aim here is that Igbo history should not be distorted.
Point noted. But isnt it curious that you could manufacture beads and stuff as far back as the 9th century? Anachronism is what that's called. Very far fetched tale.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2011
pazienza:

I think the mistake you are making is that you tend to group everybody in the SE as the same,having the same language and culture,that's where you are making a mistake,in the SE we have groups who have many differences but choose to rather look at their similarities,i am an idemili man,and believe me,i can only understand about 40% of what an izzi man speaks,it will be so easy for me to point out the language and cultural differences between idemili and other igbo groups like abriba,aro,oru,isu,etc,but i choose not to,rather i look at the similarities,maybe ukwuani needs to start doing the same.

You people say uberegede for ozoemena,well in Ogidi,we say ufala for anuri(happiness),i dnt think any one outside idemili will understand that.

Very valid argument and one i'm largely sympathetic to but lets look at the flip side. Why should we discard our unique identity and embrace that of once vassal lands (no offence)? Yes we share same language and our traditions have huge meeting points but is that enough to make us Igbos as a matter of fact? Dont think so. This is like asking the English to agree to be called Americans - no they arent, the other way round would be more acceptable. Same here!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2011
See this nonsense about Aboh founded an LGA; an administrative district, which did not exist until the 20th century. There is no such thing as "Aboh Mbaise" people, or "Aboh Mbaise" clan. This "Aboh Kingdom" or whatever did not found "Aboh Mbaise" because there was never any such thin as "Aboh Mbaise".
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2011
Its crazy the sort of nonsense people come up with.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 7:01pm On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

Very valid argument and one i'm largely sympathetic to but lets look at the flip side. Why should we discard our unique identity and embrace that of once vassal lands (no offence)? Yes we share same language and our traditions have huge meeting points but is that enough to make us Igbos as a matter of fact? Dont think so. This is like asking the English to agree to be called Americans - no they arent, the other way round would be more acceptable. Same here!

You have a loooooot of history to rewrite for Eboe Town, just a warning.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2011
^^^ I see you've been digging and that gives me a great deal of comfort. Hope you share what you learn!

@ChineyeN
here's what I said before and i say to you now;

I'm not here to prove
the origin of Mbaise people is in Delta state but
simply to highlight the influence a supposedly
small town had on Igbo's not just those along the
Niger but far inland. Give me proof to believe
otherwise and i'll shut up, else u should
and allow me make my point! Aboh IMHO
remains the most understudied ancient kingdom
so unless you're ready to commission a study
just keep quiet and listen.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by pazienza(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

"but is it enough to make us igbos"

Again,u r still making the same mistake,who are the igbos you are refering in this statement,until u come to understand that in the actual sense of it, nobody is igbo in the SE,until then u will keep making the same mistakes.

"Why should we discard our unique identity and embrace that of once vassal lands"

This your statement is similar to the one made by a kalabari guy in a kalabari thread,he seems to be be saying that kalabari lorded it over igbos,this is wrong because if at all they did so,it would have been against ndoki,ikwerre,ngwa,etc and not igbos,because there is a difference between igbo and ndoki,ngwa,asa,ikwerre,isu,izzi,etc, when you understand this,then your problem would have been solved.

Believe me,my ancestors knew next to nothing about aboh,i dont even think they knew of their existence,but they knew a lot about arochukwu,i think if anyone should boast about being unique,then it should be the aro.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2011
@wesley What influence? "Aboh Mbaise" is unrelated to this your "Aboh Kingdom".
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2011
^^ Its my word against yours. Thanks but i'll stick with mine till you can tell me why Mbaise people chose to prefix their name with that of a certain once very powerful kingdom along the banks of the Niger. BTW what does that term A-B-O-H connote in Igbo or Mbaise? Its prolly a corrupted word i hear you say, right? Nice try, but it wont fly!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2011
You are Aboh; some kind of western Igbo.
I am Ngwa; southern Igbo.
Mbaise is a collection of southern Igbo groups who are both geographically and ethnically/culturally/historically affiliated with Ngwa.

You open your mouth to speak of an administrative district which did not exist before 1940. Yes indeed, it is your word against mine.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 9:38pm On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

^^ Its my word against yours. Thanks but i'll stick with mine till you can tell me why Mbaise people chose to prefix their name with that of a certain once very powerful kingdom along the banks of the Niger. BTW what does that term A-B-O-H connote in Igbo or Mbaise? Its prolly a corrupted word i hear you say, right? Nice try, but it wont fly!

What does Aboh mean.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:46pm On Nov 19, 2011
^^ You tell me
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 9:48pm On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

^^ You tell me

I'm guessing from this reply that you don't know. Okay, thank you.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:54pm On Nov 19, 2011
You're welcome.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 7:19am On Nov 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Mbaise is a collection of southern Igbo groups who are both geographically and ethnically/culturally/historically affiliated with Ngwa.

You open your mouth to speak of an administrative district which did not exist before 1940. Yes indeed, it is your word against mine.

In the interest of this thread, you'd be well advised to limit your myopic definitions to yourself. No be only Western Igbo na Yoruba Igbo.
Maybe you should pick up an history text and find out how powerful the Aboh kingdom was in the 1940's and its influence then on the predominantly Igbo speaking people then come back here and prove that an Aboh prefix was a mere coincidence by a people who are ordinarily very careful in picking names.

I know you guys are smart and would prolly have done a good deal of digging to shoot down my argument so you can preach the supremacy of Igbo as usual so seeing you guys clutching straws and offering feeble arguments is pretty comforting i tell you.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tpia5: 7:27am On Nov 20, 2011
oh, is that the reason why people are so uneasy about the geographical appellations. . . . . . .
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:41am On Nov 20, 2011
@wesley, you'd be well advised to back up your lies. Otherwise, you look foolish. See you and this your "Aboh Kingdom" that I've never heard of. Just remain on your side of the Niger and don't open your mouth to speak on an arbitrary administrative district.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:45am On Nov 20, 2011
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 8:09am On Nov 20, 2011
pazienza:

"but is it enough to make us igbos"

Again,u r still making the same mistake,who are the igbos you are refering in this statement,until u come to understand that in the actual sense of it, nobody is igbo in the SE,until then u will keep making the same mistakes.

"Why should we discard our unique identity and embrace that of once vassal lands"

This your statement is similar to the one made by a kalabari guy in a kalabari thread,he seems to be be saying that kalabari lorded it over igbos,this is wrong because if at all they did so,it would have been against ndoki,ikwerre,ngwa,etc and not igbos,because there is a difference between igbo and ndoki,ngwa,asa,ikwerre,isu,izzi,etc, when you understand this,then your problem would have been solved.

Believe me,my ancestors knew next to nothing about aboh,i dont even think they knew of their existence,but they knew a lot about arochukwu,i think if anyone should boast about being unique,then it should be the aro.

My broda you need to understand that in the interest of this thread I have to play the devils advocate. I completely agree with your opening statement and like I said before I have absolutely no problem identifying myself as Igbo and would never have this conversation with an 'outsider' but you've got to understand that this isnt about unity of Igbo speaking areas but an attempt by a bunch of ignorant folks to undermine the roots and heritage of the ukwuani/Ndokwa people.
I dont know how you managed to draw parallels bw us and the Kalabari's but you need to look at the facts to see where i was coming from. What is not in dispute is that the old Aboh kingdom stretched far beyond its maritime and land borders up to Igala land up North and just how far inland I cannot say so it isnt out of place to refer to those land as vassals with very good evidence in the people of Oguta, Idemili and Osemele.
If as an Idemili man you know nothing about Aboh, maybe u should seek answers. I am in my late 20s but some grey haired folks dont know as much as i do. Their is a saying we have; 'wa gwa nwa nweni uche shi ya nodi ani kwa tanaya atita'. Surely my dialect must have thrown you guys off but it says - you dont have to say to a wise child sit down let me give you history lessons (atita). The curiousity of a child and an open ear and mind would fill the vacuum. Nuff said.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2011
Ndokwa/Ukwuani History

The History of the Ndokwa/Ukwuani people is as interesting as that of any other African tribe. This is because no written account of it is available. Much of what is known of it, are facts handed down through oral traditions or some scanty detail and accounts as recorded by early European visitors to the area. The most inspiring thing about our history is the fact that I have never come across any Ndokwa/Ukwuani man or woman that believes s/he came from Mecca as is the case with the Bayangida and Oduduwa lineages in Nigeria. Sadly, such tribes in Nigeria that see no folly in propagating such myths are in fact some of the largest black tribes in Nigeria (and Africa). Further, the Ndokwa people have not claimed Israel as their ancestral home, as another big tribe in Nigeria would want us to believe. To highlight the flaw in the desire to seek glory elsewhere, we introduce excerpts culled from the history page of a neighbouring town –Ubulu Ukwu – in Anioma local government in Delta State, Nigeria. See the quotes below. “From Afor to Ubulu-Unor: In fact Ubulu oral tradition states categorically that the grand-parents of Ezemu migrated from Israel and settled at Ife hence Ezemu was often referred to as the king with long hairs – “Ezi Isi Iyomiyo”. From Ife Ezemu and his relations migrated to Afor a village in present day Ndokwa Local Government Area of Delta State.”

From http://www.ubulu-uku.com/mysite/origin.htm. Ironically, no Ndokwa town - including Afor - has corroborated this account of history. First and foremost, we are pure Africans and do not seek to establish our origins elsewhere. If the origins of mankind is in Africa as scientific evidence has shown, with pride and humility, the Ndokwa/Ukwuani people would want to be counted as one of the custodians of these primordial genes. Rather than fabricate our history, the Ndokwa people would want to concur with patterns described by Omole (http://lagosforum.com/comment.php): “The term “autochthonous” means native, aboriginal, indigeous, original. The available anthropological and archaeological evidence at our disposal makes it clear that the settlement of the Southern West Africa region is a recent event, going back not more than 5000 years.” And, from the early history of Nigeria (http://countrystudies.us/nigeria/4.htm): “The earliest known example of a fossil skeleton with negroid features, perhaps 10,000 years old, was found at Iii Ileru in western Nigeria and attests to the antiquity of habitation in the region. Stone tools, indicating human settlement, date back another 2,000 years. Microlithic and ceramic industries were developed by pastoralists in the savanna from at least the fourth millennium B.C. and were continued by grain farmers in the stable agricultural communities that subsequently evolved there. To the south, hunting and gathering gradually gave way to subsistence farming on the fringe of the forest in the first millennium B.C. The cultivation of staple foods, such as yams, later was introduced into forest clearings.”

Having put the history of the Ndokwa in the context of early Nigerian history, let’s now turn our attention to Ndokwa specifically. It is relevant to point out here that the portmanteau word "Ndokwa" generally used to refer to the people of the locality is a recent coinage. The word Ndokwa has the morphemes: NDO from the word "Ndo-simili", the people of the Niger and KWA from the word “Ukwuani”, for the Ukwuani speaking people of the lowland. The two peoples reside in the same proximity and share a near common history. They were both together during the ABOH division days in the then Midwest state of Nigeria (1960s-1970s). Recently, both regions were under one local government area (LGA) before the splitting up into Ndokwa West, Ndokwa East and Ukwuani LGAs. It is very confusing for those of us who grew up when we had one Ndokwa LGA to conceptualise the emerging distinction introduced by referring to some of the people in the region as "the Ukwuanis" and "the Ndokwas" as if they are totally different entities. Is there any justification in saying that someone from Utagba-Ogbe is an Ndokwa man while someone from Umutu an Ukwuani man? We must be wary of how we present this issue, lest an unnecessary distinction be introduced.

Originally, the people (all) were referred to as the Southern-Ika people before the creation and the re-creation of the local governments of the modern era. Our northern cousins where called the Northern Ikas and our neighbour/cousins from the Ika LGAs have held on to this name till date. Before the advent of the white man, the Ikas, Oshimilis and Aniochas –all in Delta State, Nigeria - were all called the "Enu-Ani" people (Upland people) and the "Ukwuani"(Lowland people) is used to refer to the Ukwuanis/Ndokwas. Prof. E. Isichie in one of her works referenced this fact.

Realistically, the inhabitants of the Ndokwa/Ukwuani areas are a mix of different peoples some with a strong claim to Benin/Edo ancestry while others lay claim to different origins. The Benin connections, a view held by a majority of Ndokwa/Ukuani clans cannot be rejected. Although, some intricate and complicated dimensions such as linguistics can be brought in, to test these claims. One must not forget the fact that the languages in Aboh (an Ndokwa town) and Benin are not related.

The Abohs and some other clans in the region claim to have left Benin around the 16th century or earlier, in the same wave of migration that established most of the Igbo-speaking towns west of the Niger and even Onitsha in the east
. Egharebva, writes of a period in Aboh (circa 1730 -1750) where the ruling families had to accept emissaries from the Oba (King) of Benin during a dispute.

Surrounding, the Ndokwa/Ukwuanis are other Edoid groups i.e. the Urbobos, the Isokos, the Ijaws. Their influence is palpable amongst the Ndokwas/Ukwuanis socially and culturally. By the same token, it is not out of place to notice that some individuals in a number of clans claim lineage to these neighbouring tribes mentioned above especially those on the border. Group of towns sharing borders with neighbouring tribes including Abbi, Emu, Onyia, Ushie and Obiaruku have inhabitants tracing their origins to Urhobo,Isoko, Ijaw lands.

Furthermore, a good number of Ukwuani/Ndokwa towns of including Afor, Emu, Amai, Utagba-Uno, Onicha-Ukwuani claim to have been founded by immigrants from Benin. Onicha is a variant of the word "Onitsha" and is not a coincidence to have the original inhabitants of Onitsha (in Anambra State) holding on to the same story of King Chime from Benin as its forebear. There are four Onitshas known today i.e. Onicha-Olona, Onicha Ugbo, Onicha-Ukwuani and Onitsha mili (the popular one). They all share the Benin migration story. What should be of import to us is, when did these migrations take place, and the second question: Did these new arrivals meet some other people indigenous to the land/locality? If so, who were they? It is indeed a tall order to to try to establish these facts because there is an innate aberration in history known that man would always, at all costs, seek to associate with greatness, fame, glory and so on. This, in our case might have robbed us of the information that might helped us pieced together our past history more accurately.

The powerful nature and conquering role of the old Benin Empire might have influenced many clans favuoring this connection, in the process, either knowingly or otherwise suppressing some vital information. As one author, Rev. Okologu (History of the Ukwuani people) pointed out in his work, there are however different extractions in our land – Ndokwa area. For example, some sections of the Abohs believed that they are direct descendants of people from Benin while others look across the Niger into the Igbo hinterland as their origins; yet, some even look far up the Niger to Igala homeland as their ancestral land. It is worthwhile to bring this fact to the fore. What cannot be disputed is political power that the Aboh kingdom held in the past. The kingdom stretched from the fringes of Agbor town (Ika) in the present day Delta State to Ogba (Rivers state), also covering all the Ogbaru region of Anambra State. At the height of its power, the Kingdom of Aboh even had emigrants leaving to populate other parts of old Nigeria. There are quarters in Itsekiri land that claim to have forebears from Aboh town.

got this from another forum.the bolded are quite interesting.for the last bolded it is known that some parts of rivers and ogbaru and onitsha in anambra have somethings in common with aboh kingdom but wesley 80 do not put mbaise into it.mbaise is totally different.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

@wesley, you'd be well advised to back up your lies. Otherwise, you look foolish. See you and this your "Aboh Kingdom" that I've never heard of. Just remain on your side of the Niger and don't open your mouth to speak on an arbitrary administrative district.

It is ignorance that makes you an ignoramus. You plod along like an authority in all things history but you know nothing about a place that could easily have been your ancestral home! SMH.
If your name is mallam Tanko and I have a long lost uncle bearing same name with same features and I approach you calling you 'Uncle Tanko' na me go tell you why your Papa choose to call you, an Igbo Christian, Mallam Tanko? Na you hold knife, na you hold yam. Prove to me that an administrative district of a people extremely picky about the name they bear formed in the 40's in the last days of a powerful kingdom and bearing its name had nothing to do with her. Prove it or press your 'mute' button.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 8:55am On Nov 20, 2011
A short history of Mbaise

By

Dr. Oliver Obioma Osuji

Mbaise is an amalgam of indigenous, autochthonous clans, connected by intermarriage, and situated in the heartland of Igboland. It occupies an approximate area of 404 square kilometers. The quiddity of Mbaise is that this homogenous group of more than 1000 persons per square kilometer is the most densely populated area in West Africa. The population of Mbaise as at 2006 was estimated to be 611,204 people (Agulanna, 2008).

Until the advent of European adventurers into Nigeria, the main source of income in Mbaise was subsistent agriculture. In Igboland, no centralized political system existed. The system of government depended largely on kinship relations and shared custom. The village group was the highest level of socio-political organization with the “Amala” exercising all power (Njoku 2003). The weekly gathering of the male family members around the fresh palm wine keg (“awuru-awu” or “manya-orie”) constituted the forum for discussing matters. Recently, the “Aladinma” of the autonomous community exercise judicial, legislative, administrative and executive powers and functions. Typically, life at the pre-colonial time is better understood by reading “Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe.

The Aro Expeditionary Force (British) moved through Owerri and Mbaise in 1902. When the British Colonial Administration was introduced in the Southern Protectorate of Nigeria, the government established a native court at Nkwogwu Nguru in 1905 and built a residence for the Whiteman there. Dr. Rogers Stewart who was trespassing Mbaise got killed and in 1906, the “Ahiara Punitive Expedition” led by Captains Brian Douglas and Harold Hastings started the reprisal punitive massacre of people in the area. In 1927, the Colonial Government introduced taxation using warrant chiefs and court messengers to collect the taxes. These colonial agents became corrupt and used taxes as tools of oppression and suppression. When the taxes were increased in 1929, it triggered the Women Uprising which resulted in the destruction of the native court at Nkwogwu and the sacking of the Whiteman’s residence. Subsequently, other courts were established at Itu for Ezinihitte; Afor Enyiogugu for Agbaja; Obohia for Ekwerazu; Orie-Ahiara for Ahiara; and Uvuru for Oke-Uvuru.

On June 12 1941, Mbaise became a federated unit of five clans, namely, Agbaja (Nguru, Okwuato, Enyiogugu, Obiangwu, and Umuohiagu), Ekwerazu, Ahiara, Ezinihitte, and Oke-Uvuru. A common treasury was opened in Enyiogugu in 1942 and it was later transferred to Aboh in 1948. Obiangwu and Umuohiagu which were constituent parts of Agbaja pulled out in 1957 and joined Ngor Okpala. Unfortunately Mbaise was currently reduced to three local governments, namely Ahiazu (result of a merger of Ahiara and Ekwerazu), Aboh-Mbaise (carving out a part of Ezinihitte West and added to Agbaja), and Ezinihitte.

Between 1955 and 1958, Mbaise County Council under the Chairmanship of Honorable N. D. Ukah initiated two landmark development projects namely Mbaise Secondary School and Mbaise Joint Hospital (now General Hospital) both in Aboh. In 1954, Dr. Aaron Ogbonna who studied abroad became the first qualified medical doctor, returned home, and established the first private hospital in Mbaise in 1956. Prior to this time, any sick person who needed western medical attention either went to Holy Rosary Hospital, Emekuku Owerri or Methodist Hospital, Amachara in Umuahia.

http://ilmiworld.org/history_of_mbaise.html

wesley 80 from the bolded you can see that mbaise(translated to five clans) were made up of agbaja,ekwerazu,oke uvuru,ezinihitte and ahiara.the aboh mentioned here was simply a place where the common treasury was transfered to from enyiogugu.the aboh mbaise was simply a name of an area carved out to make an administrative unit and and not as a result of any aboh kingdom settlers.

secondly do aboh people practice okonko?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:19am On Nov 20, 2011
@Asha,
Thanks for your feeble attempt. Any more feeble and you'd be without a spine! I honestly dont know which to address but let me say your Mbaise article is as shallow as shallow can be and it doesnt in anyway answer the pertinent questions. More to come.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2011
wesley80:

It is ignorance that makes you an ignoramus. You plod along like an authority in all things history but you know nothing about a place that could easily have been your ancestral home! SMH.
If your name is mallam Tanko and I have a long lost uncle bearing same name with same features and I approach you calling you 'Uncle Tanko' na me go tell you why your Papa choose to call you, an Igbo Christian, Mallam Tanko? Na you hold knife, na you hold yam. Prove to me that an administrative district of a people extremely picky about the name they bear formed in the 40's in the last days of a powerful kingdom and bearing its name had nothing to do with her. Prove it or press your 'mute' button.

you can make this statement if you arguing with onitsha,ogbaru,oguta or ogba people.mbaise is totally out of this kingdom you are talking about.i hope you know the geographical area in imostate mbaise is located?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 9:23am On Nov 20, 2011
wesley80:

In the interest of this thread, you'd be well advised to limit your myopic definitions to yourself. No be only Western Igbo na Yoruba Igbo.
Maybe you should pick up an history text and find out how powerful the Aboh kingdom was in the 1940's and its influence then on the predominantly Igbo speaking people then come back here and prove that an Aboh prefix was a mere coincidence by a people who are ordinarily very careful in picking names.

I know you guys are smart and would prolly have done a good deal of digging to shoot down my argument so you can preach the supremacy of Igbo as usual so seeing you guys clutching straws and offering feeble arguments is pretty comforting i tell you.

At bolded, you mean the history where the powerful Benin kingdom established a monarchy on the Igbos in that area which gave birth to an Aboh "kingdom"? Look, the only influence here is the one the Binis had on the predominantly Igbo people of Aboh in Delta state. We both know that. The Igbos from Aboh went to ogba,rivers state to establish a place too I believe. That was as far as they got in the south. There was nothing like that going to Aboh Mbaise. Like chinenye said, there is nothing like "Aboh mbaise people" -no. Aboh  mbaise is just a damn name that was just created.

ChinenyeN:

^^^Wesley80, are you not hearing the above. This is as clear as it gets. My maternal home is from this area, Ezinihitte to be exact.  Some of ezinihitte was carved into Aboh Mbaise as well when Aboh Mbaise was being created. Ask Aboh or Ezinihitte people there history and they will tell you history that falls in sync with Ngwa history. There is absolutely nothing like aboh "kingdom" historical anything linked to Mbaise period. Lets let go of the superiority nonsense because for real, who actually goes back to ukwuani area frequently after they leave and establish themselves in a well off country or state, unless they are still raz? Keep your my clan is greater than every eastern clan to yourself.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 9:23am On Nov 20, 2011
wesley80:

@Asha,
Thanks for your feeble attempt. Any more feeble and you'd be without a spine! I honestly dont know which to address but let me say your Mbaise article is as shallow as shallow can be and it doesnt in anyway answer the pertinent questions. More to come.

please i am waiting oooo  grin.i hope what you desire to bring up will answer the perinent questions and not just rabble rousing as usual.  grin
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2011
wesley80:

If your name is mallam Tanko and I have a long lost uncle bearing same name with same features and I approach you calling you 'Uncle Tanko' na me go tell you why your Papa choose to call you, an Igbo Christian, Mallam Tanko? [b]Na you hold knife, na you hold yam. Prove to me that an administrative district of a people extremely picky about the name they bear formed in the 40's in the last days of a powerful kingdom and bearing its name had nothing to do with her. [/b]Prove it or press your 'mute' button.

all this yam and knife argurements self grin

This was actualised in 1941 and in 1942, a Treasury was opened at Enyiogwugwu court premises. It should be remarked that. Nkwogwu had lost its initial advantageous position owing to the.

destruction of government property by the: rioting women which had caused the then colonial divisional commissioner to curse Nkwogwu. In effect, what should have been located at Nkwogwu had to be transferred to another place. For its central location, and neutrality, the treasury was tral'Jsferred to Aboh in 1948. Aboh was found to be the most central and neutral location for all communities and clans of Mbaise.

http://www.freewebs.com/abohmbaiseimage/abohmbaiseimage.htm
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 10:51am On Nov 20, 2011
@Chyz
Try harder with your Bini installed king BS, who knows u just might sound reasonable for a confused eejit. Facts speak for themselves and unlike you I do not have to manufacture them. For starters google 'sons of Oba Ozolua' and put your head to some use.
I always knew u were from some obscure farming settlement dotted with thatched roof mud houses or like we call it "ise" ,so its no surprise u're such a sellout. But by all means drag your entire lineage to anywhere u like but allow true Ukwuani sons to defend their heritage and pls someday try n visit a true Ukwuani town to see what its like. Bornthroway like u!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2011
@Asha,
Your bolded portion on the article on Ndokwa/Ukwuani history refers;
It wld be perfectly normal to find folks with Igbo or Igala origin in Aboh but to fully understand what that means u'd have to understand what it means to be an "Aboh man". Aboh is made up of the Umudei and the Ndiche with the latter further split into the Ndiche ukwu and Ndiche nta. The umudei are the direct descendants of the founder of the kingdom and by default Princes and potential "Omordi's" and are the ONLY ones that can vie for kingship so long as their mother is NOT an Aboh princess. The Ndiche ukwu on the other hand consists of the descendants of die hard loyalists that joined the prince in his journey but not descendants of the Bini stool while the Ndiche nta are those that have lived for generations in Aboh but with varying roots. Only an Ndiche can hold the title of Iyasere (Iyase) ie PM, but on the condition that his mother MUST be an Aboh princess therefor there is full integration of all classes with everyone rightfully an Aboh person but with varying roots. So you see a section can claim to be from Israel and they'll be right, but the TRUE origin and genealogy of Aboh stands.
Amb Ralph Uwechue (yes your Generalissimo) espoused on this in one of his write ups online, I suggest u get busy. The more u know the better it gets. More to come.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 12:40pm On Nov 20, 2011
wesley80:

@Asha,
Your bolded portion on the article on Ndokwa/Ukwuani history refers;
It wld be perfectly normal to find folks with Igbo or Igala origin in Aboh but to fully understand what that means u'd have to understand what it means to be an "Aboh man". Aboh is made up of the Umudei and the Ndiche with the latter further split into the Ndiche ukwu and Ndiche nta. The umudei are the direct descendants of the founder of the kingdom and by default Princes and potential "Omordi's" and are the ONLY ones that can vie for kingship so long as their mother is NOT an Aboh princess. The Ndiche ukwu on the other hand consists of the descendants of die hard loyalists that joined the prince in his journey but not descendants of the Bini stool while the Ndiche nta are those that have lived for generations in Aboh but with varying roots. Only an Ndiche can hold the title of Iyasere (Iyase) ie PM, but on the condition that his mother MUST be an Aboh princess therefor there is full integration of all classes with everyone rightfully an Aboh person but with varying roots. So you see a section can claim to be from Israel and they'll be right, but the TRUE origin and genealogy of Aboh stands.
Amb Ralph Uwechue (yes your Generalissimo) espoused on this in one of his write ups online, I suggest u get busy. The more u know the better it gets. More to come.

beating around the bush as usual grin how does this relate with mbaise issue? look i have nothing against aboh kingdom or its history .just do not use conjecture on the history of a people you know nothing about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.