Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (69919 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 3:07pm On May 25, 2009
The reason for a forum like this is to make pple learn so will appreciate your input largely on whether Ukwuani pple in Delta state have same cultural identity,trace etc as the igbos.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:27am On May 26, 2009
Okay, Track I'm going to ask you a series of serious questions, and I would like for you to answer them honestly.

1. What are the names of the Ukwuani market days?
2. Could you give some examples of typical traditional Ukwuani names, and meanings?
3. What are the names of the Ukwuani gods (please include meanings as well)?
4. What are the major Ukwuani festivals (please include the meaning of the names of the festivals as well)?

Again, I would really appreciate it if you (or anyone else who can) would answer these questions honestly, and thoroughly. If you are unable to honestly and thoroughly answer any, or all, of the questions I asked, please state so. Please do not answer any of the questions if you either know that you do not have the answers, or if you are unsure of the accuracy of your answer.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 1:21am On May 26, 2009
Also, What is the meaning of Ukwuani or Ukwani. Ukwuani is it Igbo, Bini or Urhobo?.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by TRACK: 8:30am On May 27, 2009
If you are an Ukwuani man who is convinced that we are Igbo by tribe or otherwise please help by sharing your view
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by freed(m): 4:57am On Jun 19, 2009
Ukwani is Igbo!
stop deceiving yourself
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by freed(m): 3:58pm On Jun 19, 2009
biko Track, Please tell me the difference between Ukwani and Igbo people?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 8:05pm On Jun 19, 2009
Some ukwuani people are making themselves minorities in Nigeria when in actual fact they are majority and Igbo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by freed(m): 11:47pm On Jun 19, 2009
^^ right on
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Totoeater: 6:44pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ poster,
Ukwani people are not Ibo. period. i can give you several examples.

languages:

1. when an ukwani wants to end a discusion especially with elders. they end it with ( Ishiegwali) thats not igbo. the Urhobohs call it (Misegwari)

most ukwani names are sometimes Bini like.
infact let me get these facts and get back to this thread.

please be patient with me.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Abagworo(m): 8:01pm On Jun 24, 2009
Whether 1 is igbo or not is a personal thing.some ukwuanis see themselves as igbo while others dont.answering bini-like names doesnt remove igboness.obasi,attah,imoke,ojo,eneh,okpo,orisakwe and co are still igbo names with influence from other ethnic groups.to know ur ethnic group lingually just answer this question.will an ukwuani man living in his village hear central igbo?nb.a village based owerri man might not hear ukwuani,abiriba,afikpo,ezza and nsukka .
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 10:37pm On Jun 24, 2009
@totoeater. do you know the difference between a laguage and a dialect?. In case if you do not know, Ukwuani is just one of numerous dialects of the greater Igbo language.
There is no need for the Ukwuani people to copy Rivers State method where every community is an ethnic nationality. I am sure you would not want to have Abor, Kwale, Obiaruku ethnic nationalities.
It does not matter how people end their speeches. Some Isinweke people end their speeches with 'KWINU' yet they do not disclaim Igbo.
A friend of mine from Ukwuani area wrote to me on how his brother lost his life with other Igbo people during the last Jos crisis. You should be concerned on how to tackle situations as that collectively as Igbo people.

3 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ifygurl: 11:55pm On Jun 24, 2009
grafikdon

I'm igbo but i call plate efele. So using that didn't prove anything. Each igbo state use a different dialect than others. I know i can never understand anything delta igbo's say but can understand what anambra and enugu people say.
I have an aunt from imo state and i have a hard time understand half of the stuff she says. Different dialects

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ifygurl: 12:07am On Jun 25, 2009
I don't know who Ukwuani are but judging by the name "ukwuani", i'll say they are igbo. Afterall, the word "ukwuani" is an igbo word.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by sosisi(f): 12:20am On Jun 25, 2009
Ifygurl:

I don't know who Ukwuani are but judging by the name "ukwuani", i'll say they are igbo. Afterall, the word "ukwuani" is an igbo word.

Their non Igbo name is kwale grin
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:39am On Jun 25, 2009
@ Totoeater
If you're going to give linguistic examples, please give good ones. The particular linguistic example you presented is nothing more than a regional variance.

Also, I notice that no one has yet managed to answer my questions.

$osisi:

Their non Igbo name is kwale grin
Maybe they should explain that "Kwale" to us.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 2:29am On Jun 25, 2009
I sincerely believe that any group of peoples on earth have a right to represent/identify themselves however they please. If the Ukwuani people are saying their not Igbo, then their not Igbo, Igbo people or anybody for that matter shouldn't beg/nag them for anything.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by grafikdon: 11:14am On Jun 25, 2009
Ifygurl:

grafikdon

I'm igbo but i call plate efele. So using that didn't prove anything. Each igbo state use a different dialect than others. I know i can never understand anything delta igbo's say but can understand what anambra and enugu people say.
I have an aunt from imo state and i have a hard time understand half of the stuff she says. Different dialects

I am not sure we are on the same page here. I am well aware of the numerous dialectical differences in Igbo language. My post (I believe the one you referred to) was a correction to TRACK's erroneous illustration that spoon is "Nganji" in Igbo while plate if "Afare".

Perhaps you should be telling him that using those words to show that Ukwuani are not Igbo did not help his argument, since the standard Igbo word for spoon is ngazi/ngaji while efele/efere stands for plate.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ifygurl: 6:27am On Jun 26, 2009
grafikdon:

I am not sure we are on the same page here. I am well aware of the numerous dialectical differences in Igbo language. My post (I believe the one you referred to) was a correction to TRACK's erroneous illustration that spoon is "Nganji" in Igbo while plate if "Afare".

Perhaps you should be telling him that using those words to show that Ukwuani are not Igbo did not help his argument, since the standard Igbo word for spoon is ngazi/ngaji while efele/efere stands for plate.

oh okay. I got what you mean. Sorry
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by udezue(m): 5:07am On Nov 05, 2009
Another stupid thread by some comfused Igbo from Delta state. Ukwuani is not Igbo? lol Yet Ukwuani is an Igbo word.

CHINYEM, Dont expect Track to answer those questions coz its either he doesn't even know anything about his Ukwuani or Igbo or he knows that by answering you he will expose his ignorance.

I'm Awka and we say Efele just like Ukwuani so lets declare Awka an ethnic group?
I'm also Arochukwu and in Aro we say "Avam za" while other Igboid people say depending on their area and state say "Afam bu", Aham bu", "Aham wu" for "My name is". We bare some Ibibio sounding names just like Ukwuani bare some Bini sounding names due to proximity.

Owerri ppl say Onini?
Ikwere say Okini?
Most Igbos say Ogini?
Awka say Odunnu?
"WHAT?"

Afikpo - Abakiliki ppl say Njokwa
Most Igbos say Ndeewo
"WELCOME"

Anioma or Western say Okolo
Eastern  Igbo say Okoro

Awka say Nwanya
Most Igbos say Nwanyi
Ngwa say Nwami
"FEMALE"

If Ukwuani is not an Igbo name then u aint Igbo but as long the name Ukwuani na Igbo you are Igbo. It means Upperland.

Nde Ukwuani / Ndi Ukwuani

Useless thread. Close it biko

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 3:20pm On Nov 05, 2009
udezue:

Awka say Nwanya
Most Igbos say Nwanyi
Ngwa say Nwami
"FEMALE"
Just a point of correction, here. Ngwa either say waanyi, or nwaanyi. Eastern Igbo people are the ones that say nwami. All the same, Udezue, your point still stands.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ezeagu(m): 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2009
udezue:

Owerri ppl say Onini?
Ikwere say Okini?
Most Igbos say Ogini?
Awka say Odunnu?
[Ika say Kini]
"WHAT?"

Most Igbos say Ndeewo
[Ika same]
"WELCOME"

Eastern  Igbo say Okoro

Awka say Nwanya
Most Igbos say Nwanyi
Ngwa say Nwami
[Ika say Ọkpọhó]
"FEMALE"
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ossaifamous(m): 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2010
the french and spanish language are similar but not the same
the ukwani language can be similar to the Igbo, but not the same language,
there are differences,

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 11:30pm On Aug 21, 2010
Ossai famous:

there are differences,
No one said they were they same. Also, please, if you're going to separate Ukwuani from Igbo language, then I suggest that you not say "Igbo language", and just say "Igbo", because it is unfair and unjust for Ukwuani to be separated, because of distinction, while other distinct lects (some more so distinct than Ukwuani) are forced to remain under the "Igbo language" category. It is unjust for you to apply one rule to yourself and a different [inapplicable] rule to others. So, if you're going to say "Ukwani language", then be consistent by either saying "Igbo" or "Igbo languages"; not "Ukwuani language" as opposed to "Igbo language".
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Abagworo(m): 1:49am On Aug 22, 2010
udezue:

Another silly thread by some comfused Igbo from Delta state. Ukwuani is not Igbo? lol Yet Ukwuani is an Igbo word.

CHINYEM, Dont expect Track to answer those questions coz its either he doesn't even know anything about his Ukwuani or Igbo or he knows that by answering you he will expose his ignorance.

I'm Awka and we say Efele just like Ukwuani so lets declare Awka an ethnic group?
I'm also Arochukwu and in Aro we say "Avam za" while other Igboid people say depending on their area and state say "Afam bu", Aham bu", "Aham wu" for "My name is". We bare some Ibibio sounding names just like Ukwuani bare some Bini sounding names due to proximity.

Owerri ppl say Onini?
Ikwere say Okini?
Most Igbos say Ogini?
Awka say Odunnu?
"WHAT?"

Most Igbos say Ndeewo
"WELCOME"

Eastern  Igbo say Okoro

Awka say Nwanya
Most Igbos say Nwanyi
Ngwa say Nwami
"FEMALE"

If Ukwuani is not an Igbo name then u aint Igbo but as long the name Ukwuani na Igbo you are Igbo. It means Upperland.

Nde Ukwuani / Ndi Ukwuani

Useless thread. Close it biko

gini,kini,ngiri,ngee,nkiri,what

nwanyi,inyom,nwami,mgbe,woman

nwoke,ikom,oko,oke,woko,woke,man

okenye,agadi,okomadu,okobadu,aged person or big.

jokwa,meka,mazi,ooni,ka,greetings

akuko,uka,okwu,otutu,ifo,story

asi,ashi,ugha,egheleghe,nto,lie or untrue

just a hint using few dialects.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 1:24pm On Aug 22, 2010
Ossai famous:

there are differences,
The above post is rubbish. Why not say Owoh and Yoruba are similar and not the same. Also, why not say Offa and Yoruba are not the same but similar. You hardly see iidiots making this type of argument. When it comes to the Igbo, people tend to display their stupidy by claiming; Ukwuani is not Igbo but similar, Okigwe is not Igbo but similar etc. Why can't drop-outs in Nairaland know that in Igboland just like in Yorubaland, there are so many dialectical variations.

4 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2010
Andre, I'm not sure that the Yoruba comparison makes much of a difference, in this case, and besides, the "similar and not the same" argument is rather legitimate. So I don't understand how you can really honestly say that their exhibiting stupidity, by stating such.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Andre, I'm not sure that the Yoruba comparison makes much of a difference, in this case, and besides, the "similar and not the same" argument is rather legitimate. So I don't understand how you can really honestly say that their exhibiting stupidity, by stating such.
Nenye, I lived in Ibadan and do understand Yoruba to some extent, but not Owoh. While at Ibadan, one of my closest friends, from Owoh will require an interpreter to communicate with his grandma from Owoh.
Would I at this time insanely claim that Owoh is not Yoruba but similar. Have you ever seen any one making such claims. But once it is Igbo, ignorants will quickly jump to a conclusion that one dialect of Igbo or the other is not Igbo but similar.
You have been on nairaland for ages, and if I may ask, how many times do you see anyone claiming: Ekiti is not Yoruba, Ijebu is not Yoruba, Owoh is not Yoruba but similar. For how long must you continue to support literate illiterates who enjoys claiming that one Igbo dialect or the other is not Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2010
Well, the Yoruba comparison still doesn't make much difference in this instance, because for one, it just isn't our concern. If that's how they run their stuff, then that's how they run their stuff. Besides that, the Yoruba, unlike the 'Igbo', recognize a center, which is a big part of this discussion. Lastly, I'm not giving support to 'illiterates'. Rather, I'm only being realistic about the Igbo situation; our situation (note, I said "situation", not "problem". So please, I implore you to not misconstrue what it is that I'm saying).
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by chyz(m): 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2010
Ossai famous:

there are differences,

You cant just group every body east of the river's language as Igbo and your own ukwuani. It makes no sense and it is idiotic. Saying that ukwuani is similar to Igbo suggest that all the "Igbo"language, tones, and words are the same and not one word is spoken by one group of "Igbo" that the other group cant understand, that is a laughable lie. And since that is the case if you group all the people east of the river as Igbo than you might as well include yourself because with what i just explained it makes you no different from the rest of the "Igbo" groups. So with that said, with your bias comment, you've just proved that you are Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2010
chyz:

You cant just group every body east of the river's language as Igbo and your own ukwuani. It makes no sense and it is idiotic. Saying that ukwuani is similar to Igbo suggest that all the "Igbo"language, tones, and words are the same and not one word is spoken by one group of "Igbo" that the other group cant understand, that is a laughable lie. And since that is the case if you group all the people east of the river as Igbo than you might as well include yourself because with what i just explained it makes you no different from the rest of the "Igbo" groups. So with that said, with your bias comment, you've just proved that you are Igbo.
Well said.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2011
Another thread that start off as a question and end with stupid idiotic folks claiming land as their own, due to language similarities.  Please before you (igbo's) consume the identities of all ethnic minorities of this great nation and employ you to go study the history of these parts before claiming these parts as igbo. If you are from Kwale, and want to be recognized as an igbo man, well more grease to your elbow. For the rest of us that still want to keep our heritage and identity, I will kindly ask you to refer to me as a Kwale man, NOT AN IGBO MAN. Simples,

I WILL SHOW YOU NO RESPECT IF YOU CONTINUE TO CALL ME A MONKEY WHEN INFACT I AM A GORILLA.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

Another thread that start off as a question and end with silly idiotic folks claiming land as their own, due to language similarities. Please before you (igbo's) consume the identities of all ethnic minorities of this great nation and employ you to go study the history of these parts before claiming these parts as igbo. If you are from Kwale, and want to be recognized as an igbo man, well more grease to your elbow. For the rest of us that still want to keep our heritage and identity, I will kindly ask you to refer to me as a Kwale man, NOT AN IGBO MAN. Simples,

I WILL SHOW YOU NO RESPECT IF YOU CONTINUE TO CALL ME A MONKEY WHEN INFACT I AM A GORILLA.

@monkey or gorilla, which ever you prefer. I like your post. As you wrote, let those who want to be identified as Igbo be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.