Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill (41464 Views)

Don’t Stop Electricity Tariff Review, Fashola Begs Nigerians / Federal High Court Voids Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fines NERC/DISCOS / Did The National Assembly Finally Okay The Increase In Electricity Tariff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by benjobo: 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
na ogun go kill you na...i bet nepa workers go just die any how if them try 2 reach how street tarrif ko taban ni
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by laprince(m): 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
falcon01:
dude!!! Are you living in the bush.. We always have power in my area in fact i have forgotten when last my battery reached 40%

clearly different from my area.
its about twice poorer now in my area.

I hope things get better
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by benjobo: 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
na ogun go kill you na...i bet nepa workers go just die any how if them try 2 reach how street
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Ahmeduana(m): 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
omohayek:

Why do you think you get so little light in the first place? Because it costs more to produce it than you're paying! Do you think power companies are charities?
NOW SINCE IT IS BUHARI THE TARIFF INCREAMENT IS JUSTIFY, BUT UNDER JONATHAN IS AN ABOMINATION ACT? Ba? For where? The same treatment you melted on jonathan goverment will also be melted on buhari, what goes around comes around, RAJI FASHOLA WAS THERE WHEN JONATHAN HOLDS MEETING WITH ALL THE 36 STATES GOVERNORS TO WITHDRAWL FUEL SUBSIDY, AND ALL AGREED JUST FOR FASHOLA TO GO BACK TO LAGOS AND INSTIGATES PROTEST AGAINST A COLLECTIVE DECISION WHICH HE WAS PART OF, NOW HE'S TELLING US THAT WE SHOULD PLEASSS! DON'T WORRY YOUR OWN EQUAL TREATMENT IS AROUND THE CORNER, AS FOR YOU ZOMBIE, KEEP ON JUSTIFYING EVERY ACTION OF YOUR PAY MASTER!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 15, 2015
falcon01:
dude!!! Are you living in the bush.. We always have power in my area in fact i have forgotten when last my battery reached 40%

But use sense nowww... Why did God give u brain... So even if I'm leaving in the Bush, as a Nigerian don't I deserve at least 10 hrs of light each day??
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by abbey621(m): 3:58pm On Dec 15, 2015
susrite:
hey Bro, do your stat before posting. The highest electricity bill in the states is paid by the West south Central states (akansas, loiusiana and texas) and they pay $126.74 while the lowest are the Pacific states) california, oregon and Washington) they pay $90.84 (I paid lower than that last two months). Now the average income of a civil servant in the state is 19.85/hour; let's assume you work[b] 6 hours daily[/b], that's $2,977 per month.
The above electricity bill isn't up to 5% of the income. But here in Nigeria, you get, let's say maximum if #25000 and I recall my brother in Nigeria paying #12,000, geez! That's almost 50% of his income.
And now we are anticipating for increase in the bill... You know what? Nigeria economy s**ks

Will you shut up! Your electricity bill is based on the amount you used and the time of the year, when I was living in a one bedroom apartment, I spent anywhere from $40 to $80, now that I'm in a 4 bedroom house, I spend anywhere from $140 to $ 250, so what the f*ck are you talking about? Furthermore what has income got to do with wanting stable electricity? When we have true privatization in this country, you will only pay for what you use! If someone makes 50,000 Naira per month and used electricity of 20,000 Naira that's his or her fault and not the electricity company or the Government. In any place in life you have to cut your coat according to your size, if we want 24/7 electricity we have to be prepared to spend more!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2015
sukkot:
fashola is on the job. 2016 is the year of light. dont worry about that. what you need to worry about is being ready and able to pay for 24 7 electricity. that will be your new worry in 2016. grin
we go pay...make we see the 20000 mega watts..but i must say it shouldn't be above what the minimum wage earner can pay for...
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2015
Standing5:
Be reasonable in your demands.

They are demanding so much from us while giving us little or nothing... I think fashola should be reasonable on his demands.. What demands are u talking of btw?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by ayodele123(m): 4:02pm On Dec 15, 2015
Fashola, please give us prepaid meters first before increasing the tariff. We are grossly tired of crazy bills for poor service.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2015
I'll accept anything coming from Fashola.
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by BRAV0O(m): 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2015
omohayek:

If you're complaining about false billing, that's one thing - I agree that people should only be billed for what they use - but there is just no question that current tariff rates are too low for generating companies to cover their costs. If they can't even do that, how can they raise the funds to generate more electricity?

Fashola has already said they'll be working on improved billing, so I don't really see what there is to complain about with what he's saying here. Nigerians have to get used to paying market rates for decent services, instead of expecting "government" to give them artificially cheap electricity, fuel and dollars, then acting surprised when there are shortages of all these things.
sorry what is dis one saying, u well so ? Which nigeria govt is giving the masses cheap electricity and cheap everything or else alight ur plight to me what u mean by cheap this and that before I seriously descend on u!
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by gsalvatore: 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2015
Some commenters talk as if they are not in Nigeria.

People pay for electricity more than most folks on here might want to believe...the issue here is most people actually pay more for less...The Power company will sit on their offices and cook out a bill without even taking a look at your meter, this is the reason why they don't want Prepaid meters available for consumers.

Where I stay now, we use the old meter and this Power guys haven't seen our METER before...the meter is just a flower, and they will always come by month end and bring in their bills with ridiculous amounts...And we pay.

Its cool for the government to increase the power tariffs, fuel prices but not on minimum wage...Nigerians deserve everything coming their way,there choice sealed their Fate.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Chrisx1x(m): 4:05pm On Dec 15, 2015
Blackfire:
Kneels down to pray again.
*put my feet inside hot water*

Amadioha call sango to call zeus, anybody who voted/ campaign for apc/buhari and he/she complain in 2016, let thunder from heaven and hell fire that person(s)... AMEN.
bros easy na.we are all prone to mistakes
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by dikeigbo2(m): 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2015
In other news,the minister of power and energy has has begged and mandated the distribution companies (discos) to make prepaid meters available to consumers before end of January 2016 or risks being sanctioned,he also warned against estimated and crazy billings to stop with immediate effect .....in the same vien he spoke against extortions by the discos and their agents as he promised Nigerians better days in that sector..................... So this is a dream. ......Akpos Who wake me up?
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by mikeapollo: 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2015
abbey621:
In the States, people pay anywhere from $60 to $300 per month for electricity, if we want stable electricity in Nigeria we have to be ready to pay 10,000 to 50,000 Naira per month, unless the government is willing to subsidize. We would all like to blame the government for not providing stable electricity but how many people actually pay their electricity bills? Some people would even risk their lives by tapping current from the electricity pole or connecting wires all over their homes. The real solution here is to leave electricity out of the hands of the Government and put it in the hands of private companies, let them charge whatever price and let's have a healthy competition just like in advanced countries. This way anybody that wants electricity would sign up with those companies, pay a security deposit and then get a meter. When we give those companies full control instead of this pseudo privatization then our electricity situation will surely improve!

Did you do a proper analysis before comparing the US to Nigeria?
The minimum wage in US is about $10-$15 dollars per hour. So people can use their 4-5 hours pay to settle their electricity bill for the whole month.
What is the minimum wage in Nigeria and what is the electricity tariff? Do the maths and let us know the percentage of the minimum wage that you expect Nigerians to pay for electricity in a month.
The truth is we have a reckless capitalist as minister(sic) of power in Nigeria who has a penchant for extremely commercializing and monetizing every service/product at his disposal

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by darlenese(f): 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2015
I still cannot understand what we are paying for ?

What is the increament for?

Even when there 's no light? cry cry cry

Na wah for did kinda change o

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by susrite(m): 4:07pm On Dec 15, 2015
abbey621:

Will you shut up! Your electricity bill is based on the amount you used and the time of the year, when I was living in a one bedroom apartment, I spent anywhere from $40 to $80, now that I'm in a 4 bedroom house, I spend anywhere from $140 to $ 250, so what the f*ck are you talking about? Furthermore what has income got to do with wanting stable electricity? When we have true privatization in this country, you will only pay for what you use! If someone makes 50,000 Naira per month and used electricity of 20,000 Naira that's his or her fault and not the electricity company or the Government. In any place in life you have to cut your coat according to your size, if we want 24/7 electricity we have to be prepared to spend more!
more reasons I dislike conversing with these kids on NL Do you need to type 'shut up'? Didn't you read me saying I paid less last two months? shouldn't that give you the idea that it ain't fixed? I stayed in one bedroom apartment also in new Mexico and my bill was relatively low. All I'm trying to tell you that if it's coming from the minister of power that we should get prepared to pay more, they should as well look for chances to increase civil servants income.
Plus, all these useless allowances that should be cut off are still there, the masses are al as at the lowest on the food chain.
Smh for Nigeria.... Just reading now that the president got from dansuki's loot... Is Nigeria supposed to be termed a COUNTRY?
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by gsalvatore: 4:08pm On Dec 15, 2015
BRAV0O:
sorry what is dis one saying, u well so ? Which nigeria govt is giving the masses cheap electricity and cheap everything or else alight ur plight to me what u mean by cheap this and that before I seriously descend on u!
Don't mind that person...It is easy to spot people that are not in Nigeria from their comments.

I couldn't understand what he meant by Cheap electricity...I bet he thinks the minimum wage is too big.

People are actually Overpaying for power here...The Power company will just issue out bills that don't correspond with the power usage..

I don't know what is wrong with some folks...

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by susrite(m): 4:09pm On Dec 15, 2015
mikeapollo:

The minimum wage in US is about $10-$15 dollars per hour. So people can use their 4-5 hours pay to settle their electricity bill for the whole month.
What is the minimum wage in Nigeria and what is the electricity tariff? Do the maths and let us know the percentage of the minimum wage that you expect Nigerians to pay for electricity in a month
he's so funny man, I just did the analysis for him, but you know these Nigerian! They can be so adamant to positive change

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Bgorgeous: 4:12pm On Dec 15, 2015
Minister it is not the bill that is the problem , we cannot continue to pay for electricity we didn't consume

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by abbey621(m): 4:13pm On Dec 15, 2015
mikeapollo:

What is the minimum wage in Nigeria and what is the electricity tariff? Do the maths and let us know the percentage of the minimum wage that you expect Nigerians to pay for electricity in a month.
The truth is we have a reckless capitalist as minister(sic) of power in Nigeria who has a penchant for extremely commercializing and monetizing every service/product at his disposal

Another ignorant Nairalander, the minimum wage in the U.S is not $10-$15 please do your research, it is less than $8. I'll keep saying it till you people get it into your thick skulls, income has nothing to do with electricity tariffs! You pay for what you use! If you bothered to read my post carefully, you would notice I mentioned government subsidy as a possible solution but in reality every advance country out there leaves electricity in the hands of private companies, these companies charge whatever they like and nobody can challenge it, it's either you pay and get electricity or you don't pay and live in darkness!
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 15, 2015
DONT WORRY I HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED ENOUGH TOKEN TO TAKE ME ALL 2016....A 10K WORTH OF TOKEN AND A GOOD SOLAR SYSTEM WILL KEEP YOU TILL 2017...THATS I'VE SPENT SO FAR IN 2015
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by lomprico(m): 4:15pm On Dec 15, 2015
princemillla:
As long as the end result will be positive, no problem.

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by adebayosun02: 4:18pm On Dec 15, 2015
Nosediving Govt. Increase in this n that (e.g. Electricity bill, Petro price, Toll collection, Tax e.t.c.) all @ the same time and decreasing/cut in workers salary/pay. This is not the backward CHANGE APC promised we Nigerians Oooo Oooo.
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by BRAV0O(m): 4:19pm On Dec 15, 2015
sukkot:
nigerians want light but somehow i dont think they are prepared or want to pay for electricity that runs 24 7. they want it for free. because when fashola makes this electricity run 24 7 and the bills start coming, nigerians will change their cry from ' we have no light ' to this light is too expensive. its going to be a new cry. when you get used to that 24 7 electricity the new cry will be about how it is expensive. black man has to always have something to complain about or his life is not complete
look at it now, they say people kill people and I can as well classified that statement as nigerians kill nigerians so bad that this kind of comment is coming fellow nigerian ....
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by ayodele123(m): 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2015
Fashola,let me advise you
Many of us cannot pay for electrical energy 24/7
Nigerians wey never see food chop,wey no get work no go pay o. First give all houses prepaid meters so that we pay upfront and to avoid crazy billing. Secondly start with giving guaranteed 8hour supply daily and gradually move up to 24/7. Third, generate the 20000MW first before the increase in tariff. Fourth, eliminate the use of incandescent bulbs and migrate to energy saver bulbs. The energy required to power 94 incandescent bulbs is OK to power 500 energy saver bulbs.Ghana has migrated to energy saver bulbs which conserves energy. Fifth,allocate 3hrs energy daily to rural areas until the 20000 MW is attained.Nothing is happening in some rural areas and they have light 24/7 which they are not paying for.Give priority to industrial centres.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by mmsen: 4:26pm On Dec 15, 2015
All this man knows how to do is take money from the average citizen and put it in his friends' pockets.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by dikeigbo2(m): 4:29pm On Dec 15, 2015
abbey621:
In the States, people pay anywhere from $60 to $300 per month for electricity, if we want stable electricity in Nigeria we have to be ready to pay 10,000 to 50,000 Naira per month, unless the government is willing to subsidize. We would all like to blame the government for not providing stable electricity but how many people actually pay their electricity bills? Some people would even risk their lives by tapping current from the electricity pole or connecting wires all over their homes. The real solution here is to leave electricity out of the hands of the Government and put it in the hands of private companies, let them charge whatever price and let's have a healthy competition just like in advanced countries. This way anybody that wants electricity would sign up with those companies, pay a security deposit and then get a meter. When we give those companies full control instead of this pseudo privatization then our electricity situation will surely improve!

You just an inglorious fool,you comparing Nigeria with The USi in area of electricity billing,? What of other areas of quality provisions of life,like good government, good infrastructural developments,good maintainance culture and so on.......I wonder if you are a human or robot

1 Like

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by abbey621(m): 4:30pm On Dec 15, 2015
susrite:
more reasons I dislike conversing with these kids on NL Do you need to type 'shut up'? Didn't you read me saying I paid less last two months? shouldn't that give you the idea that it ain't fixed? I stayed in one bedroom apartment also in new Mexico and my bill was relatively low. All I'm trying to tell you that if it's coming from the minister of power that we should get prepared to pay more, they should as well look for chances to increase civil servants income.
Plus, all these useless allowances that should be cut off are still there, the masses are al as at the lowest on the food chain.
Smh for Nigeria.... Just reading now that the president got from dansuki's loot... Is Nigeria supposed to be termed a COUNTRY?

It's one thing to fight the Government on issue of minimum wage and standard of living, it's another thing to try and equate income with electricity tariffs. The cost of producing electricity in Nigeria is high due to corruption of the past, it's a thing that can't be fixed immediately, you mention increasing civil servant's salary, what about employees in the private sector? Where do you want the government to get this money from?
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 15, 2015
FASHOLA, Congrats on your new role.. do you realize that you are a Public Officer, kindly detail a complete sustainable strategy for power that guarantees that this move is not lost unlike the trend over the last 20 years of tarrif increase without any measurable improvement in power in Nigeria. millions continue to suffer estimated billing and claims that there is no pre-paid meter to import when Zambia in recent times have made nationwide conversions with meters available on demand.

Why not address FUNDAMENTAL issues hampering the provision of stable power

How can you charge citiziens for what you do not have to deliver? you want to collect bus fares from commuters to buy a bus that will transport them to their destination.. I admire your previous achievements but do notput the cart before the horse. FASHOLA. it iis not done..

Nigerians are expecting the following
1: Devaluation of the Naira
2: Removal of Fuel Subsidies
3: Increase in rent and accomodation
4: Increase in transport fares
5: Increase in cost of imported goods and locally produced ones.

These are austere times and FASHOLA wants us to feel the pain without seeing the reward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 15, 2015
With Fashola on board,Nigerians should not expect reduction. The guy will never change.
Re: Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill by susrite(m): 4:35pm On Dec 15, 2015
abbey621:

It's one thing to fight the Government on issue of minimum wage and standard of living, it's another thing to try and equate income with electricity tariffs. The cost of producing electricity in Nigeria is high due to corruption of the past, it's a thing that can't be fixed immediately, you mention increasing civil servant's salary, what about employees in the private sector? Where do you want the government to get this money from?
Nigerians never expected them to fix things immediately, they promised... But now, things are just going from bad to worse. Do you know what I do say?
when they started war on drugs, drugs dealing increased, when they started war on corruption, corruption increased; now they are starting war on money, don't worry, money will soon increase... Lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Miriam Keyamo Weds Desmond Ike (Photo) / See Labour Party Agbada (Pics) / Dino Melaye Flaunts His G-wagon (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.