Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,630 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. (71832 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 2-units Of 2-bedroom Bungalow At Ijede [ikorodu LGA] / DIY: Construction Of Residential Units At Harmony Villa [isheri OPIC] / DIY: Construction Of A 3-bedroom Bungalow [Ikorodu North LGA Isiwu] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
whitejulius81:
Oga with your land survey size here ....did you think that the land size will contain all these I.e 2 unit of 2 bedroom , 1 unit of 2 bed , 1 four bed room duplex.. think twice ooo. I believed by the time you finish it, you will hardly have a place for just a car.
Oga the house is on ground already. We did a clever design you will be amazed how we used space on here the the thing is I did it myself
Check the space on this pic.where the blocks are between fence and house will contain 2 SUV parked side by side

3 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by HomeOfMe(f): 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Well 4 security reasons I cnt give exact location
But @my location not too far frm NTA rd it's 6.5m-10m
Well I'm not based in portharcourt but my younger brother does;he talked about building a house there not too far from his present location which is off aba road-just wanted to have an idea of how much he's likely to spend on buying at least a plot and half. I think he mentioned somewhere around artillery or something.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by VictorRomanov: 12:12pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

6 inches solid all fru expensive but better

Well I don't mean to criticize, just sharing what I know.

1stly The reason hollow blocks are used is 'cause the hollow in them prevents heat transfer thru conduction. That means a house build with a solid block would be hotter than that built with hollow,especially in our climate.

2ndly its the width of the block that actually spreads load, not how dense it is. That means wider area would be better. 9" width would be better than 6" width. Also your house would be heavier since u re using solid blocks, which would require deeper and wider foundation to spread the load.

3rdly, cost-wise, Moulding a 9" hollow block consumes less sand than a 6" solid block.

I don't know the rational behind your choice (maybe space conservation) and the work has commenced already, but consider these point for future projects. If space conservation is the reason, I suggest u frame the building, (I.e. construct the columns and beams first, then add 6" hollow blocks later). In that case the blocks don't bear any loads, just the columns and beams.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by darelar(m): 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
That's high bro
ahamonyeka:
12k psqm

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Barselonia(m): 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
Ok today we managed to finish all the excavation 3 m depth and 18"width
We also did %90 of the blinding work,cast the basket for the column and 40 out of the 46 starter bars.I have used Y16,Y12 and Y8 as advised by the Oga in the house

oga site engineer... is like u don't know what's 3m...what am seeing dr can't pass 1.2m
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
heatflux:
it appears you are using solid blocks rather than hollow ones. Why?
Way better. In my opinion the exact use of hollow blocks are not be utilised in Nigeria. You are meant to fill it and that sort of make it solid.
Back to ur quest try and do a sur ey and check how many solid block house you seen clapse. To hollow block structures.
It's more expensive but I'm using money saved to add to that xtra quality and strength
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Barselonia:

oga site engineer... is like u don't know what's 3m...what am seeing dr can't pass 1.2m
U are right I was meant to say 3 ft nor mind me jor nah hot sun cos am
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Barselonia(m): 12:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
Good day.2 God be the glory.Imm able to put my DIY drawings (plan)into ground
https://www.nairaland.com/2434106/diy-drawing-floor-plan
Location=PH
Major contractor Me
Client Me
Supervisor Me
Site Engr. Engr Mathias (childhood friend frm the UK.)
Actual area of land =
Areas occupied by the building=
Building descriptions
2 units of 2 bed flats (semi ditched )
2 units of 1 bed flat
1 4 bed duplex
So I have done all the enabling works ie clearing settlement all logistics so won't go into it but anyone needs the info jst ask on here and I'm more than happy to share.stay tuned pictures coming shortly and I got my proof vest with me for all the critics on here grin grin grin
Engun and co lol
again....
I don't like the idea of u using solid blocks especially for a building more than bungalow... ...
I only advice my clients to uuse solid for only fences..... Because the rate at Which solid blocks emit heat Or crack out is high... and the cracking in solid block are not easily controlled As hollow blocks...
talking from experience... am a builder ...civil engineer by career... base in portharcourt
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Well I don't mean to criticize, just sharing what I know.

1stly The reason hollow blocks are used is 'cause the hollow in them prevents heat transfer thru conduction. That means a house build with a solid block would be hotter than that built with hollow,especially in our climate.

2ndly its the width of the block that actually spreads load, not how dense it is. That means wider area would be better. 9" width would be better than 6" width. Also your house would be heavier since u re using solid blocks, which would require deeper and wider foundation to spread the load.

3rdly, cost-wise, Moulding a 9" hollow block consumes less sand than a 6" solid block.

I don't know the rational behind your choice (maybe space conservation) and the work has commenced already, but consider these point for future projects. If space conservation is the reason, I suggest u frame the building, (I.e. construct the columns and beams first, then add 6" hollow blocks later). In that case the blocks don't bear any loads, just the columns and beams.

Thanks!
Point taken but
Just so I know the entire house has 48 pullers
How about if I decide to raise the house with just this and do a suspended slab to make it look like a storey bungalow?
I'm trying to prove here that the weight of the house with proper pillers bears no significant loads on the supporting blocks as U can do away with them.

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
Barselonia:

again....
I don't like the idea of u using solid blocks especially for a building more than bungalow... ...
I only advice my clients to uuse solid for only fences..... Because the rate at Which solid blocks emit heat Or crack out is high... and the cracking in solid block are not easily controlled As hollow blocks...
talking from experience... am a builder ...civil engineer by career... base in portharcourt
This is why our Engineers should also pay attention to light and Wi d flow within thier structures
If I am to go by what you saying you as an engineer would find it challenging to put a structure up in the UAE. Cos down there is concrete structure plus glass for high rise how do U explain that then cos from what I know.co create plus glass conduct heat faster than solid blocks .how do we xplain that
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
HomeOfMe:
Well I'm not based in portharcourt but my younger brother does;he talked about building a house there not too far from his present location which is off aba road-just wanted to have an idea of how much he's likely to spend on buying at least a plot and half. I think he mentioned somewhere around artillery or something.
He should hold 5m I think he would have choices
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
harkynon:
Make we see your floor plan
Make I reach house I go uploaded am no worry.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by VictorRomanov: 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Point taken but
Just so I know the entire house has 48 pullers
How about if I decide to raise the house with just this and do a suspended slab to make it look like a storey bungalow?
I'm trying to prove here that the weight of the house with proper pillers bears no significant loads on the supporting blocks as U can do away with them.

If the building is framed, the blocks don't bear much load apart from their self loads.

Also note that even when the blocks don't bear any loads, they also become loads in themselves contributing to the load of the structure. Besides you column size would be 6" x 6" instead of 9" x 9", meaning they re slender than usual.

But don't worry, ur house won't fall. The soil and foundation appears solid. But with proper design you would save cost and still achieve safety.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
daylife7:
These administrators na animals. .wweitin this one dey do 4 front page
Bad belle grin angry
I dey NL since 2007 first time my post com FP you dey beef me grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
VictorRomanov:

If the building is framed, the blocks don't bear much load apart from their self loads.

Also note that even when the blocks don't bear any loads, they also become loads in themselves contributing to the load of the structure. Besides you column size would be 6" x 6" instead of 9" x 9", meaning they re slender than usual.

But don't worry, ur house won't fall. The soil and foundation appears solid. But with proper design you would save cost and still achieve safety.
That's it bro U gt it spot on.structurally it's an over build. I made no cost cut for these parts in some part in the middle there are horizontal beams made of Y16 under the walls.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by VictorRomanov: 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

That's it bro U gt it spot on.structurally it's an over build. I made no cost cut for these parts in some part in the middle there are horizontal beams made of Y16 under the walls.

Wow! Bro were you anticipating an earthquake? Cos its really gonna cost you. Hope your tenants no go hear am?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:56pm On Apr 12, 2016
whyteboyz03:
At erico , nice job bro. God bless your hustle . Just completed my fencing in pH too . should be back on site before end of the year as block moulding would be ongoing. Nice job again
Thanks bro God bless ur hustle too
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 12:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Wow! Bro were you anticipating an earthquake? Cos its really gonna cost you. Hope your tenants no go hear am?
Ahaha nah I can afford it cos I ain't paying that much for services

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:00pm On Apr 12, 2016
MadCow1:

Oga..

I just need to give you one advice..

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH YOUR SECURITY AND HOW YOU VISIT YOUR SITE..

The Kidnapping in Port Harcourt no get respect o!

Do not carry cash to site to pay workers yourself. Infact, never be seen with money at site.

Keep the lowest profile you can.

I have a building project ongoing in Port Harcourt and even Nicodemus dey learn work for my hand on covet site visitation. I know many people who have been kidnapped from their work site before.

Goodluck with your crib.
Thanks a lot point taken.I have often thought of this and to my workers I am site supervisor I dress down and park my car away. I am taking evry precautions and I do take ur advise seriously cos I know boys ain't smiling especially PH boys.
God bless.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by VictorRomanov: 1:00pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Ahaha nah I can afford it cos I ain't paying that much for services

Weldone bro. You na big boy for PH na to knack this kind structure.

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
nurez305:
Hope we will not be hearing a case of ''A nairalander killed a python in porthacourt'' very soon
Guy the way we take evade the bush all animals vamus sharp sharp cheesy angry cheesy
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Weldone bro. You na big boy for PH na to knack this kind structure.
Ahah brother nothing do us we dey try as far as baba God involve. grin

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:08pm On Apr 12, 2016
Odunharry:
Op come continue... No give us suspense mood
Nah I fit?
Like this I dey look for money to arrange the matter
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2016
prince3009:

I don't understand. Is it that you offered to pay per block laid? I need to know cos i have a building project coming up and i find this idea of yours very intuitive.
Yes paid per block laid.so at the end of the day numbers of laid blocks x 35 for brick layers and x 20 for helpers
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Barselonia(m): 1:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

This is why our Engineers should also pay attention to light and Wi d flow within thier structures
If I am to go by what you saying you as an engineer would find it challenging to put a structure up in the UAE. Cos down there is concrete structure plus glass for high rise how do U explain that then cos from what I know.co create plus glass conduct heat faster than solid blocks .how do we xplain that
going by what u said... concrete is different from blocks...
secondly u have to know we have different climate condition from there..That's y we have NSE... NIGERIA SOCIETY OF ENGINEER and COREN..... that regulate structure.... not world Or uae society of engineer....
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
iyobosadavid:
senior Bro, please I live in Ph and am a Borehole Driller, so I just want to use this medium to crave your indulgence that if you have not yet done the Borehole I can still come in and handle it. My contact 08030879166
I have done it bro. First 4 thing I did on site.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Barselonia:

going by what u said... concrete is different from blocks...
secondly u have to know we have different climate condition from there..That's y we have NSE... NIGERIA SOCIETY OF ENGINEER and COREN..... that regulate structure.... not world Or uae society of engineer....
So what's the diffrence in heat absorbtion between co create and a brick?which do U think conduct faster?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Yes paid per block laid.so at the end of the day numbers of laid blocks x 35 for brick layers and x 20 for helpers

N35 and N20 per block?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
george4CHRIST:
Oga Erico you don't carry us along with the cost of your materials as In the Price. Starting from the foundation pls
I did oh just ask anything
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
prince3009:

N35 and N20 per block?

Yes
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Yes

Wow! It must take an eagle eyed person to count the movement of each person during the process o. Anyway...thanks
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by InvertedHammer: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
/
If you have a knack for details...if you are able to research and learn....

You will do better constructing your own house with the supervision of an engineer/architect than a lot of the so-called builders in Nigeria. For the most part, you will be in control of the process.

The biggest concern is kidnapping.
\

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Five Tallest Buildings In Nigeria As At 2021 (Pictures) / How Much Will It Cost To Build This Mansion? / 139-Year-Old House Transported On Truck To A New Location In US (Photos)

Viewing this topic: erico2k2(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.