Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. (71820 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 2-units Of 2-bedroom Bungalow At Ijede [ikorodu LGA] / DIY: Construction Of Residential Units At Harmony Villa [isheri OPIC] / DIY: Construction Of A 3-bedroom Bungalow [Ikorodu North LGA Isiwu] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 2:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
If you have a knack for details...if you are able to research and learn....

You will do better constructing your own house with the supervision of an engineer/architect than a lot of the so-called builders in Nigeria. For the most part, you will be in control of the process.

The biggest concern is kidnapping.
\
Well God is protecting us.
Thanks
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 2:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
prince3009:

Wow! It must take an eagle eyed person to count the movement of each person during the process o. Anyway...thanks
It's easy when U get used to it.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by jojoki: 2:11pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Yes

Well done Bruv, I have a similar site in Kano and I do pay each Mason #40 per block laid. The Mason settles his labour at end of day. So far your work is okay and I commend your efforts sincerely. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Odunharry(m): 2:12pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
Nah I fit? Like this I dey look for money to arrange the matter
God has provided already.. Congrats on your building project

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Aventures(m): 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Well I don't mean to criticize, just sharing what I know.

1stly The reason hollow blocks are used is 'cause the hollow in them prevents heat transfer thru conduction. That means a house build with a solid block would be hotter than that built with hollow,especially in our climate.

2ndly its the width of the block that actually spreads load, not how dense it is. That means wider area would be better. 9" width would be better than 6" width. Also your house would be heavier since u re using solid blocks, which would require deeper and wider foundation to spread the load.

3rdly, cost-wise, Moulding a 9" hollow block consumes less sand than a 6" solid block.

I don't know the rational behind your choice (maybe space conservation) and the work has commenced already, but consider these point for future projects. If space conservation is the reason, I suggest u frame the building, (I.e. construct the columns and beams first, then add 6" hollow blocks later). In that case the blocks don't bear any loads, just the columns and beams.

Thanks!
I concur. Just in addition, this house may have been designed using a partition load based on hollow blocks. Also there could be some little challenges in running 4 inches pipes as conduit except the design has made a provision for duct.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Demainman1: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
I am sure oga ericko can still use 6" hollow blocks for the remainder of the block work since the project is currently at window level. Or is that not a possibility?

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
Aventures:
I concur. Just in addition, this house may have been designed using a partition load based on hollow blocks. Also there could be some little challenges in running 4 inches pipes as conduit except the design has made a provision for duct.
Did U mean water pipes?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by VictorRomanov: 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
Aventures:

You re very correct
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
Demainman1:
I am sure oga ericko can still use 6" hollow blocks for the remainder of the block work since the project is currently at window level. Or is that not a possibility?
I'm using 6 inches hollow for the top just and a weight +cost issue.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Demainman1: 2:49pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

I'm using 6 inches hollow for the top just and a weight +cost issue.

Nice one. What is the dimension of the twin 2 bedroom flat? I am hoping to build something similar if money show soon.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Bekeey: 2:58pm On Apr 12, 2016
Call for ur professional Hose wiring on 08060114243/09080404616 or email us on e-threeforyou@yahooa.com
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2016
Demainman1:

Nice one. What is the dimension of the twin 2 bedroom flat? I am hoping to build something similar if money show soon.
Wen I gt gome 2day will post it.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by djgroove(m): 3:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
Congrat bro, the God that start the project will complete it, when its comes to P.O.P, painting level you can contact E Dekor .

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by jobhuntng: 3:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by peleson: 3:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
Call Engr. Adonye. For ur landscaping 08077579372 . We are professionals and we are in ph this is a decorative concrete stamp.Its a pure cast n aestetics finishing with choices of different colour n patterns.Its durable,easy to maintain,over the years cheaper than interlock.No room for grasses,algae or sinking

3 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:

Bad belle grin angry
I dey NL since 2007 first time my post com FP you dey beef me grin
lol.... d thing nor make sense 4 front page na and u know. ..its called constructive criticism not beef...
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by peleson: 4:03pm On Apr 12, 2016
More!

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by HomeOfMe(f): 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
He should hold 5m I think he would have choices
ok
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
daylife7:

lol.... d thing nor make sense 4 front page na and u know. ..its called constructive criticism not beef...
Na lie.I nor see plan of construction for the criticism so U beef me I beef U back God nor vex cheesy grin
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 5:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
peleson:
More!
Looks nice

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by shine12: 8:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
Good day.2 God be the glory.Imm able to put my DIY drawings (plan)into ground
https://www.nairaland.com/2434106/diy-drawing-floor-plan
Location=PH
Major contractor Me
Client Me
Supervisor Me
Site Engr. Engr Mathias (childhood friend frm the UK.)
Actual area of land =
Areas occupied by the building=
Building descriptions
2 units of 2 bed flats (semi ditched )
2 units of 1 bed flat
1 4 bed duplex
So I have done all the enabling works ie clearing settlement all logistics so won't go into it but anyone needs the info jst ask on here and I'm more than happy to share.stay tuned pictures coming shortly and I got my proof vest with me for all the critics on here grin grin grin
Engun and co lol

Well done Sir! I can see you have stated Site Engineer and Supervisor but haven’t mentioned a Structural Design Engineer.
Have you consulted a Structural Engineer?
Has the imposed load on the floors been factored in? BS EN 1991 states between 1.5kNm2 to 2kN/m2. I guess for Nigeria where we store heavy stuff, you can increase to 3kN/m2. This will determine the characteristic strength of concrete block.
Is the bearing capacity of the soil suitable enough for the strip footing to resist the line load from the walls? This will also determine the width of your strip footing.
Will the concrete floor be left for 28 days to cure before anything is done on it?
Has a basic or normal geotechnical survey been carried out to ascertain the soil type which will determine foundation type and other design decisions?
Is the boundary of the site very close to future buildings that will impose a weight on your foundation? In that case any future foundation will need to be deeper and ensure a 45 degree load distribution line will not touch your foundation.

Everything looks good anyway!!

Congrats
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by shine12: 8:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
Reyus:
OP, Be careful, That foundation is not enough to carry that 1 storey building plan.
You cant tell sir unless you know the load take off coming from the building. A strip foundation does not really need high depths but needs to be wider

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by ahamonyeka(m): 9:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
erico2k2:
This is something I would like to explore. I gt ur details once we reach that stage I will get in touch.
alright.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by ahamonyeka(m): 9:59pm On Apr 12, 2016
darelar:
how much is it per square metres
12k for normal reflective while 15k for 3D design format
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by ahamonyeka(m): 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
Qc1:

Hello, how much will it cost for 10 meter square in Lagos?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by PRODUTIM1(m): 11:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
May God spares ur life 2 complete dis project.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by brunofarad(m): 5:30am On Apr 13, 2016
We are a STONE CLADDING OUTFIT based here in PORTHARCOURT,we decorate buildings with STONES and BRICKS and we deliver jobs anywhere in NIGERIA.

We will be pleased to work with you.

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:32am On Apr 13, 2016
PRODUTIM1:
May God spares ur life 2 complete dis project.
Amen
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:33am On Apr 13, 2016
shine12:

You cant tell sir unless you know the load take off coming from the building. A strip foundation does not really need high depths but needs to be wider
Thanks the width of the blinding is in excess of 2 ft
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2016
shine12:

Well done Sir! I can see you have stated Site Engineer and Supervisor but haven’t mentioned a Structural Design Engineer.
Have you consulted a Structural Engineer?
Has the imposed load on the floors been factored in? BS EN 1991 states between 1.5kNm2 to 2kN/m2. I guess for Nigeria where we store heavy stuff, you can increase to 3kN/m2. This will determine the characteristic strength of concrete block.
Is the bearing capacity of the soil suitable enough for the strip footing to resist the line load from the walls? This will also determine the width of your strip footing.
Will the concrete floor be left for 28 days to cure before anything is done on it?
Has a basic or normal geotechnical survey been carried out to ascertain the soil type which will determine foundation type and other design decisions?
Is the boundary of the site very close to future buildings that will impose a weight on your foundation? In that case any future foundation will need to be deeper and ensure a 45 degree load distribution line will not touch your foundation.

Everything looks good anyway!!

Congrats

This is the type of inquest I yearning for and yes to %75
Of what you asked. It has taken nearly 2 years to do all that. For what it's worth in the Nigerian context it would be an over build.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:39am On Apr 13, 2016
For those asking if the building will fit into the plot and if there would be space then here go

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:50am On Apr 13, 2016
And what it would look like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Five Tallest Buildings In Nigeria As At 2021 (Pictures) / How Much Will It Cost To Build This Mansion? / 139-Year-Old House Transported On Truck To A New Location In US (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.