Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,408 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. (71818 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 2-units Of 2-bedroom Bungalow At Ijede [ikorodu LGA] / DIY: Construction Of Residential Units At Harmony Villa [isheri OPIC] / DIY: Construction Of A 3-bedroom Bungalow [Ikorodu North LGA Isiwu] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by mufutau55(m): 3:35pm On Apr 13, 2016
erico2k2:
For those asking if the building will fit I to the plot and if there would be space then here go

I think your thread made front page.. so for that you will get a lot of weird comments; some you ignore some you answer.. keep that in mind.

Hajji M.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 4:50pm On Apr 13, 2016
mufutau55:

I think your thread made front page.. so for that you will get a lot of weird comments; some you ignore some you answer.. keep that in mind.

Hajji M.
You are very correct
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Demainman1: 8:26pm On Apr 13, 2016
@Erico2k2, you and the designer of the house have done very well with the use of the available space. Well done

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 9:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
Demainman1:
@Erico2k2, you and the designer of the house have done very well with the use of the available space. Well done
Thanks man, I was the designer grin grin grin hence its DIY however the Mrs designed the kitchen

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by mufutau55(m): 12:53am On Apr 14, 2016
erico2k2:

Thanks man, I was the designer grin grin grin hence its DIY however the Mrs designed the kitchen

If she no do the Kitchen... you go be bachelor again o. smiley

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:10am On Apr 14, 2016
mufutau55:

If she no do the Kitchen... you go be bachelor again o. smiley

Hajji M.
Ahahah true that.
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by peleson: 8:59pm On Apr 14, 2016
plot of land in Portharcourt. Nta area for 3.6 million. Call Engr Adonye 08032375149 . Serious inquiries only.

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2016
give near to precise location plz, you might just get a deal. wink wink

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 11:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
Well I'm back Again to update this page, I have managed to raise the block works up to Lintel level as seen below

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 11:14pm On Jun 10, 2016
More

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:08pm On Jun 12, 2016
At this stage from Window level I have used 2067 Blocks(solid 6 inches)
20 bags of cement to set the blocks
cost of laying 1 block is N65(Bricklayer+Helper)
total cost of labour from window level to this stage(Lintel)=N134,355
I'm getting cement still @ N1600 to site.
Next stage is to pour concrete and board the 46 columns in this build
quick reference
its a storey building of 2x2 bed flat+2x1 bed flat and a 4 Bed Duplex all joined together.
We moving 4ward,watch this space.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by allCopacetic: 11:35pm On Jun 12, 2016
There's a popular expression.... If you want something done right, do it your self.
I hope for your sake and the sake of future occupants of this build, that the expression holds true for this case too.
I greatly admire your initiative .
It'll take courage, Diligence, hard work, and wisdom to EFFICIENTLY pull this off, all the best chief.
More power

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 1:42am On Jun 13, 2016
allCopacetic:
There's a popular expression.... If you want something done right, do it your self.
I hope for your sake and the sake of future occupants of this build, that the expression holds true for this case too.
I greatly admire your initiative .
It'll take courage, Diligence, hard work, and wisdom to EFFICIENTLY pull this off, all the best chief.
More power
Thanks Bunch
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 5:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
erico2k2:
Ok today we managed to finish all the excavation 3 m depth and 18"width
We also did %90 of the blinding work,cast the basket for the column and 40 out of the 46 starter bars.I have used Y16,Y12 and Y8 as advised by the Oga in the house

You mean 3ft or 0.9m? As the foundation depth
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 6:03pm On Jul 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

You mean 3ft or 0.9m? As the foundation depth
yes Bross 0.9m
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2016
Ok we are moving 4wrd . We have to board the pillers photo credit The Mrs

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 10:15am On Aug 30, 2016
Ok we boarding the pillers still and it's growing
Cost of Y16,Y12 and Y8 has gone up

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 11:52pm On Sep 01, 2016
Ok we just did the lintel iron works. It's rising6

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Sep 10, 2016
Ok %70 of all boarding done . For lintel . Just 2 bedroom remaining
pics bellow
fotos credit :The Mrs grin grin

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 6:23pm On Sep 10, 2016
And

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by twinskenny(m): 6:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
erico2k2:
Ok %70 of all boarding done . For lintel . Just 2 bedroom remaining
pics bellow
fotos credit :The Mrs grin grin

growing steadily..

God will surely help finish this.

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Sep 10, 2016
twinskenny:

growing steadily..

God will surely help finish this.
yes O h my guy, its growing, slowly but steady
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 7:04pm On Sep 11, 2016
Well done boss, working coming out well.... Just some few observation
1. column section looks too small
2. Spacing of rings/styrub/shear reinforcement too far apart ( maximum spacing for columns according to BS8810 is 300mm)

Apart from the aforementioned points, works seems to be coming out well.

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Sep 11, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Well done boss, working coming out well.... Just some few observation
1. column section looks too small
2. Spacing of rings/styrub/shear reinforcement too far apart ( maximum spacing for columns according to BS8810 is 300mm)

Apart from the aforementioned points, works seems to be coming out well.
Thanks my Oga at the top Noted
as per number 1, would this have anything to do to the fact that I used 6"
asper 2 , spacing 300MM shocked shocked shocked so I should have made them closer.i ahev learnt something new thanks.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 11, 2016
My Chief, please allow me.

Supporting columns, regardless of the partition size (which in your case is 6"wink, have standard calculated sizes per code.

So your columns have to be certain size regardless of your partition size.

Spacing is also calculated. Not just putting pillars near doors etc, they have specific calculated places that thy must be planted at.

Thank you Sir.

PS: This is why I built a sprawling bungalow. There's a lot to building elevated decks. I blame Spyder880, he makes it looks so easy grin

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 7:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

Thanks my Oga at the top Noted
as per number 1, would this have anything to do to the fact that I used 6"
asper 2 , spacing 300MM shocked shocked shocked so I should have made them closer.i ahev learnt something new thanks.

may be if the structural design was carried out a different type of column section could of be chosen taking into consideration the thickness of your partition walls. instead of using a square section, a rectangular or polygon section could have been used.

As for 2: most builder on nairaland are guilty of this, they seems to space columns ring too far apart. the spacing of the ring is govern by shear consideration in columns and the maximum span is specify in the codes of structural use of concrete. As a rule of tomb, 200mm (8'') spacing is mostly adequate for most simple duplexes

2 Likes

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 7:59pm On Sep 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Supporting columns, regardless of the partition size (which in your case is 6"wink, have standard calculated sizes per code.

Spacing is also calculated. Not just putting pillars near doors etc, they have specific calculated places that thy must be planted at.

Thank you Sir.

PS: This is why I built a sprawling bungalow. There's a lot to building elevated decks. I blame Spyder880, he makes it looks so easy grin
I agree, in my case I think its (6x6x6x6)
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
abdulwastecx:

may be if the structural design was carried out a different type of column section could of be chosen taking into consideration the thickness of your partition walls. instead of using a square section, a rectangular or polygon section could have been used.

As for 2: most builder on nairaland are guilty of this, they seems to space columns ring too far apart. the spacing of the ring is govern by shear consideration in columns and the maximum span is specify in the codes of structural use of concrete. As a rule of tomb, 200mm (8'') spacing is mostly adequate for most simple duplexes
yeah I get a picture of waht you are saying as regards#1, maybe I could have made it (6x12x6x12)Inch.
Im breathing on teh fact I used solid 6es.I have a plan in mind to reduce the weight up there drastically by %30.AN Idea is using hollow blocks of equal dimension, what do you recon?
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:13pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

yeah I get a picture of waht you are saying as regards#1, maybe I could have made it (6x12x6x12)Inch.
Im breathing on teh fact I used solid 6es.I have a plan in mind to reduce the weight up there drastically by %30.AN Idea is using hollow blocks of equal dimension, what do you recon?

I think that will help boss... Nothing to worry about, don't want to create any panicky situation here. Good job by the way
Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by erico2k2(m): 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I think that will help boss... Nothing to worry about, don't want to create any panicky situation here. Good job by the way
ALl god thanks for that, just a quick one, you see on this pic wher the tank is, there is meant to be an Arch above it, is it good practice to cast teh arch when the 2 coaches had been made or wait and cast it in one go when teh whole decking is about to be poured?

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:22pm On Sep 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thank you Sir.

I think one or two storey building are not too structurally demanding, when properly done their is nothing to be worry about.

I think Mr erico2k2 is doing great with his building project and everything will come good at the end of the day.

We just have serious problem with standard and codes in Nigeria because we copy everything and we don't have the right institutions to enforce or look after building construction.

I advice most of my new client to build according to their small budget and in most cases simple but beautiful low cost bungalows.

1 Like

Re: DIY Construction Of My House In PH. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:26pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

ALl god thanks for that, just a quick one, you see on this pic wher the tank is, there is meant to be an Arch above it, is it good practice to cast teh arch when the 2 coaches had been made or wait and cast it in one go when teh whole decking is about to be poured?

I think this depend on the architectural design, in the design, the elevation and position of the arch are properly noted and dimensioned to aid the builder on what to do.

In most cases we start the arch after the lintel, if you want to do that, you can as well do the arch immediately after the lintel after the two course have been set and allowances giving to for the projection of the arch into adjacent walls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Five Tallest Buildings In Nigeria As At 2021 (Pictures) / How Much Will It Cost To Build This Mansion? / 139-Year-Old House Transported On Truck To A New Location In US (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.