Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra (52949 Views)

History Of Tribal Wars Between Igbo And Yoruba In Nigeria Since 1946 (part One) / #soundoff: The Glaring Difference Between Stella Oduah And Babatunde Fashola / On South South And Biafra...a Rivers-man View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Nobody: 9:07am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
Be specific.

be specific about wat ?.. if u re looking for minorities to lord over u better wake up from ur slumber..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 29, 2015
Even moderators cant proofread before posting...

NO GRIT...
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:08am On Dec 29, 2015
Goodboiyy:

And you know the funniest tin.. they were thesame people who wanted mid-west to break from western region but they never cared about the agitation of Eastern minority.. No True son of the soil will Want to give up there land to biafra or any rubbish ... still havent 4goten wat awo did to the urhobo nation, Our position is very clear.... We can't be dragged back to slavery... We are better been in SS or ND , atleast No Tribe can oppress each other, No tribe is poor, No tribe is majority, No tribe is landlocked, We are minorities and we prefer to allign with our likes (Other minorities) , everybody minding there biz.. grin grin
This is a statement of #FACT not opinion

2 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Odogwu042(m): 9:09am On Dec 29, 2015
They make us hate ourselves for political reasons, i still maintain that if the so called elders of this country want the country to be united as they hipocriticaly claim, they would do things in such a way that u wont have any option than to love your Fellow Nigerian no matter the tribe the person is from. But no, they wont cos when Nigerians stops being too divided along ethnic lines, it wont be them the old school politicians that will be relevant but a crop of totally new set of people. That's why they will continue to create avenues where whereby inter tribal hatred and jingoism is the order of the day.. . There is a hidden conspiracy!

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by ALVA001: 9:09am On Dec 29, 2015
I guess its okay to say not all IGBO's are BIAFRANS but all BIAFRANS are IGBO's.

So sweet to say when d words are not 'muslim' and 'terrorist'

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:10am On Dec 29, 2015
Goodboiyy:

be specific about wat ?.. if u re looking for minorities to lord over u better wake up from ur slumber..
Who are these minorities you are talking about?

2 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 9:10am On Dec 29, 2015
Sweetlemon:

The Ndokis or whatever you call them are settlers around the Abia/Akwa Ibom border. They are NOT Indegenes. It's just like calling Igbos in Festac or Alaba Lagos indegenes. That they made Amuwo odoofin their home does not in any way make them Lagos indegenes.
Be guided.
Maybe the Asaba people are also settlers in DElta state. Are you aware that Akwa Ibom is an articial creation? Are you aware that Anambra has Indigenous Igala people?

8 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by yinkuscious(m): 9:11am On Dec 29, 2015
The fact still remains that if Biafra should gain independent today, majority of Igbos will go with Biafra Republic.

3 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:12am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:

Maybe the Asaba people are also settlers in DElta state. Are you aware that Akwa Ibom is an articial creation? Are you aware that Anambra has Indigenous Igala people?
I am waiting for one of them to tell us the anioma is not part of the SS.
The igbo ethnic already have legitimate foothold in the so-called SS. Nothing they can do about it and it pains them to admit it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by meccuno: 9:12am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Sir, there was nothing tactical. We already agitated for state and we were given by Gowon on advice of Awolowo. Till date, Rivers and Bayelsa people adore Gowon. There is a reason for that.

Abeg no even bring the 1966 coup enta this matter na. If Ojukwu had restricted his Biafra to the Igbos(SE), perhaps the country would have been independent by now.
in the post above, who do you refer to as "we"?? Please I need some explanations.

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by MrCEO69(m): 9:14am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP you need to remove your mask. Ijaw and ALL ethnic nationalities in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom are NOT and has never been Biafrans.

2. When Ojukwu declared is Biafra, he was Governor of Eastern state that exclude Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river. Old Rivers and Old Cross river were already created by Gowon.

3. We(SS) fought against Biafra because it was Ojukwu and his majority Igbo backers project.

4. Biaffra is an Igbo agenda though I may agree that not all Igbos are pro-Biafrans, but majority are. #Fact

This is thrash....

Tonye na u talk this thing... Tot u knew history well, to the best of my knowledge the second in command of biafra was from Akwa ibom.

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cabaliciouscabal: 9:14am On Dec 29, 2015
asorocker:
I don't really think igbos need biafra while not sounding sarcastic I also don't think igbos need Nigeria, it is rather Nigeria that needs the igbos by all means.

Nigeria doesn't need d igbos, is d igbos dat need Nigeria, cus percentage of dem ar traders and dey need Nigeria's population to fester dia trade.

Who cares if igbos go?

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:14am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
Be specific.
The SS is heterogenous with different dreams and aspirations. Ojukwu also had support from some SS ethnics.
Your so-called niger-delta republic is also without the support of the ogoni and my anioma people.
So, be specific.
Which SS group supported Biafra? You can say 'Asaba supported Biafra' but not ANIOMA because Ika and other groups never did.

As for SS, our demands are literally the same. I did an article on that. For Ogoni, haha, they want fiscal autonomy within Nigeria same with other SS groups. The ND Republic is a 'Proposal' by some people and honestly, it is a viable alternative

2 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 9:15am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
I am waiting for one of them to tell us the anioma is not part of the SS.
The igbo ethnic already have legitimate foothold in the so-called SS. Nothing they can do about it and it pains them to admit it.
They can do something about it. They can claim that Asaba is not Igbo.
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Sweetlemon(f): 9:16am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:

Me I don't know about Asaba own. I am telling you about my own state. Originally there are NO Igbo ethnic groups in Akwa Ibom. Apart from the gorge material, We share nada in common with Igbos. Nothing at all. The Igbos there are the ones whose families trade between Abia and Akwa Ibom. They are not allowed to hold traditional titles and are definitely not active in politics.
Mazi Afam, take ya time!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by dcitizen: 9:17am On Dec 29, 2015
Let us have sanity in the house.

To settle the issues of biafra, let the government conduct a referendum to determine the independence of the biafra state. It was a referedum that lead to the creation of the mid western region from the western region and it was a plebicite that made the south cameroon which were part of nigeria to join camerron, remember that the first minister of information in nigeria was a camerroon.

In this modern age, you cannot force people to live together. Indigeneous people have the right for self determination as recognised by the un charter.

Nigerian constitution need to be reviewed to include referendum if some group of people are not satisfied with terms of our collective existence as obtained in the developed country in the world.

Biafra is beyond the south eastern region. If biafra succeed, that will mark the end of nigeria. Even the artificial south- south region will be fragmented into tiny clans because of different ethnic group within the region and the western region will seccede.

3 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by jstbeinhonest(m): 9:17am On Dec 29, 2015
boluwatife66:
south and norther sudan...they voted to be independent

Yet they went to war......SMH.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:18am On Dec 29, 2015
meccuno:
in the post above, who do you refer to as "we"?? Please I need some explanations.
The 'We' refers to the ethnic nationalities in present day Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river states
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by airsaylongcon: 9:18am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP you need to remove your mask. Ijaw and ALL ethnic nationalities in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom are NOT and has never been Biafrans.

2. When Ojukwu declared is Biafra, he was Governor of Eastern state that exclude Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river. Old Rivers and Old Cross river were already created by Gowon.

3. We(SS) fought against Biafra because it was Ojukwu and his majority Igbo backers project.

4. Biaffra is an Igbo agenda though I may agree that not all Igbos are pro-Biafrans, but majority are. #Fact

This is thrash....

Barçanista, while I agree that today's Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River may (do?) not constitute present day so-called Biafra, at the time of the war those states were firmly in Eastern Nigeria which Ojukwu then ruled an seceded with. Nigeria coming to split Eastern region after secession was aimed at weakening Ojukwu. But able initio those aforementioned states constituted a part of Biafra and only rebelled when Ojukwu made the fatal mistake of expelling non-igbos from Biafra

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by chekasforchekas: 9:19am On Dec 29, 2015
No more rule 9 abi, you don see say your site don drop traffic.
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by prettyboi1(m): 9:20am On Dec 29, 2015
This is a very great post. Thanks to you, Afam4eva for writing this up. It's totally true that not all Igbo people support Biafra,so it's wrong of anyone of us to lump all igbos up in one pack and call them 'biafra'.

That said,I am a Nigerian and I love Nigeria and will always play my little part to the growth and unity of Nigeria, I will continually condemn 'biafra'.

God Bless Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Ugomba(m): 9:21am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Which SS group supported Biafra? You can say 'Asaba supported Biafra' but not ANIOMA because Ika and other groups never did.

As for SS, our demands are literally the same. I did an article on that. For Ogoni, haha, they want fiscal autonomy within Nigeria same with other SS groups. The ND Republic is a 'Proposal' by some people and honestly, it is a viable alternative
don't bring confusion into the Anioma family. We are One. Leave Ika people alone..
We may not be supporting this Nnamdi Kanu agitation BUT if Igbos leave Nigeria.. To we Aniomas, We Will be joining them.. We know where we stand.

14 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Figs(m): 9:21am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra
go sue urself
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:21am On Dec 29, 2015
MrCEO69:

Tonye na u talk this thing... Tot u knew history well, to the best of my knowledge the second in command of biafra was from Akwa ibom.
Efiong? Who is proud of him for his role as 2ic in Ojukwu Biafra in his Akwa Ibom state? He was there on his own. His only 'heroic' is the surrender.

2 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by funkyibodude(m): 9:21am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Sir, there was nothing tactical. We already agitated for state and we were given by Gowon on advice of Awolowo. Till date, Rivers and Bayelsa people adore Gowon. There is a reason for that.

Abeg no even bring the 1966 coup enta this matter na. If Ojukwu had restricted his Biafra to the Igbos(SE), perhaps the country would have been independent by now.
oga that is your own view, and I'm happy you guys got what you asked for. All i highlighted is what happened before the war, and im not interested in this so called Biafra agitation or your ijaw movement. After all it's the British that created this mess, uniting people of different kinds together.. All I want you to know is not all Igbos are Biafrans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:22am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

The biafran agenda of ojukwu was supported by SS groups in the akwa-cross area. His deputy was definitely from there.
Anioma is one, sorry. With one political and socio-economic agenda.You cannot divorce asaba from anioma.
Of course, the general igbo identity is still a controversy there, but it dosen't affect their common anioma identity.
I really don't know how receptible they are to biafra , some of them want it, some of them don't, but they sure as hell are not going for any phantom niger-delta republic.
The ogoni wants a seperate nation. That is as clear as day.

11 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by comrChris(m): 9:22am On Dec 29, 2015
nduchuks or whatever you call urself stop decieving urself, couple of weeks ago l was in Onitsha and l was opportuned to follow my friends to an lpob meeting and there were large numbers of akwa ibomite,deltans and other ss states in attendance and they were very happy to be part of the movement

pls learn to always use "l" not " we" because you are speaking for yourself alone

5 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by maestroferddi: 9:23am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:

So, Biafra being popular and majority of Igbos actively supporting it is the same thing?
Oga, I expected you to have known better.

I am an incurable believer in the indivisibility of the corporate entity called Nigeria.

Having made the foregoing statement, I also find it repugnant that the unity of Nigeria would only subsist over the institutionalised marginalisation of the Igbos.

Biafra is a consequence of unconscionable injustice and neglect. So get to the root causes of the Biafra insurrection before apportioning blames to people exercising their inalienable rights.

You don't smack a child and also take away its right to cry...
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:

They can do something about it. They can claim that Asaba is not Igbo.
Tonye barcanista is trying to divorce asaba from anioma.

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Obiwannn: 9:25am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra
Smh.. See as you dey quote Wikipedia.. You no no say na people like you write Wikipedia?
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by mbulela: 9:26am On Dec 29, 2015
Kanu and his IPOB goons are wasting their time.
As long as the Igbo political elite have access to the feeding trough called national cake Biafra is a dead case. Ekwerenmadu will personally shoot and kill anyone that messes with his access to the Commonwealth. The will of some commoners might be enormous but without a political elite I don't see them successful.

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

4. Biaffra is an Igbo agenda though I may agree that not all Igbos are pro-Biafrans, but majority are.

Tonye thank you o for setting the records straight for him.
As a matter of fact the Biafran soldiers committed atrocities against the Ijaw communities during the war so much so that young men escaped accross the distributatries of the Niger to enlist with the Nigerian Army. This action is still celebrated till date called ''Go to Niger''. They took part in the liberation of their communities from the Biafran soldiers. It was a forceful annexation which did not work .And by the way,if it happened again, we will do the same. We are not and have never been cowards. As a matter of fact our chieftancy titles and family arrangements are feudal in nature. Based on war canoe houses.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ambode Constructs Park In Iyana Oworo / PDP Leader Killed In Edo Over Tearing Of Billboards. Graphic Photos / Zahra Buhari And Ahmed Indimi Padlock Love In Paris (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.