Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. (15794 Views)

Anioma, Igbo And Matters Arising / The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State / Sunday Oliseh...his Resignation And His Igbo Identity And Denial. Implications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 11:38am On Jan 01, 2016
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 11:38am On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Regardless of the clan, you are able to understand what any Ikwerre is saying. Just a lil substitution of words Eg Evo clan refers to land as eli while Akpor calls land ali

Rebisi calls money ewai, Ndele refers to it as awai and Ibaa calls it iwai

come is called bia in PH, fiya when you get to obelle whiya in Emohua.

All in all, they are the same thing. Ideally Etche is supposed to be Ikwerre but the language is too Igbotic to qualify as pure Ikwerre while Ekpeye is an older language to Ikwerre and have some Ikwerre clans with historical links to Ekpeye language eg being Ibaa and Obelle.

cc: Eastlink.
Wonderful explanation. The same with us, we call land 'ali'.
So why do you see Etche dialect as too Igbotic? What about folks from Elele, Igirinta and Isiokpo? For instance, a new south-east visitor in those Ikwerre towns may qualify them as Igbo speaking because of dialectic similarity. Why do you think they communicate well with the Igbos than other Ikwerre towns. Maritally and in so many aspect?
Abagworo is maternally Ikwerre and can be helpful here too.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by nextdoor84(m): 11:41am On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Who dash monkey banana. Swear on your life that you're from Ekpeye.

you are very daft and stupid...I will not exchange words with you..just go to Ichiaka compound in odiemerenyi and ask for Egobundu..Then you will realize I dont joke with kids like you!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by cheruv: 11:51am On Jan 01, 2016
nextdoor84:

you are very daft and stupid...I will not exchange words with you..just go to Ichiaka compound in odiemerenyi and ask for Egobundu..Then you will realize I dont joke with kids like you!!!
Well done...
Tomorrow we'd see those fools who say there are no SS Igbos angry

6 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 11:54am On Jan 01, 2016
Eastlink:
Wonderful explanation. So why do you see Etche dialect as too Igbotic? What about folks from Elele, Igirinta and Isiokpo? For instance, a new south-east visitor in those Ikwerre towns may qualify them as Igbo speaking because of dialectic similarity. Why do think they communicate well with the Igbos than other Ikwerre towns. Maritally and in so many aspect?
Abagworo is maternally Ikwerre and can be helpful here too.

Number one reason is the history of those communities. And also Proximity to mainstream Igboland. The Okpo Wagidi history has its connections with Igboland.

In speaking for Ikwerre, im speaking for the communities of Emohua LGA which are the direct descendants of Iwhronha, the son of Akalaka. We dont have any historical ties with Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 11:56am On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Number one reason is the history of those communities. And also Proximity to mainstream Igboland. The Okpo Wagidi history has its connections with Igboland.

In speaking for Ikwerre, im speaking for the communities of Emohua LGA which are the direct descendants of Iwhronha, the son of Akalaka. We dont have any historical ties with Igboland.
Another good clarification.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by nextdoor84(m): 11:56am On Jan 01, 2016
Eastlink:
Inasmuch as I don't like dabbling into Ikwerre issue, the same applies to Ekpeye. Ekpeye's don't deny their Igboid connection, but they hardly call themselves Igbo. At most you hear them say Ekpeye or Ahoada. If there is one people that love the Igbo in the Niger-Delta, fought and suffered with them in the Biafran war and would even sale lands to them, then you should look towards Ndi Ahoada.
They bear Igbo names, wear similar attires and have similar culture, yet their language seems different in many aspect from other dialects of Igbo. Even different from the harsh one spoken in Ebonyi.
Unlike the Ikwerres, Ogba and other denials they deserve the tag Igboid. The Igbos should respect the Ekpeyes. However, you are the first Ekpeye man, I have seen come out openly to claim Igbo. let me ask you a question and dont be offended. Where in Ekpeyeland are you from, your LGA, community and village.

I am from Odiemerenyi town in Ahoada east LGA..
I don't join issues with useless folks on this forum.
my uncles fought on the biafran side gallantly and have never regretted their actions till this day..

so knowing where my loyalty lies does not necessarily mean I am Igbo
still yet according to our folklore we were told we migrated from somewhere in the hinterland while others believe they migrated from bini...hope you are cleared now..shalom

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 11:58am On Jan 01, 2016
nextdoor84:

my uncles fought on the biafran side gallantly and have never regretted their actions till this day..

still yet according to our folklore we were told we migrated from somewhere in the hinterland while others believe they migrated from bini...hope you are cleared now..shalom
Let me believe you.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by cheruv: 11:59am On Jan 01, 2016
Eastlink:
Inasmuch as I don't like dabbling into Ikwerre issue, the same applies to Ekpeye. Ekpeye's don't deny their Igboid connection, but they hardly call themselves Igbo. At most you hear them say Ekpeye or Ahoada. If there is one people that love the Igbo in the Niger-Delta, fought and suffered with them in the Biafran war and would even sale lands to them, then you should look towards Ndi Ahoada.
They bear Igbo names, wear similar attires and have similar culture, yet their language seems different in many aspect from other dialects of Igbo. Even different from the harsh one spoken in Ebonyi.
Unlike the Ikwerres, Ogba and other denials they deserve the tag Igboid. The Igbos should respect the Ekpeyes. However, you are the first Ekpeye man, I have seen come out openly to claim Igbo. let me ask you a question and dont be offended. Where in Ekpeyeland are you from, your LGA, community and village.
According to anthropologists, ekpeye and ika later on broke off from proto-igbo before the others..
This means the Ekpeye dialect is the oldest form of Igbo present... Just as we speak modern Igbo,what ekpeyes speak is classical Igbo.

If we had a functional Igbo language institute,ekpeye would've been the basis on which to reconstruct the Igbo language continuum from classical Igbo to modern Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 12:04pm On Jan 01, 2016
nextdoor84:

Eastlink from his write-up i can deduce that within the Ekpeye ethnicity there are elements who stand on the Igbo side. The ones on the Igbo side take their stand primarily as a result of their historical connections with Igboland.

I believe that that is the same situation with some few Ikwerres maybe from Elele, Isiokpo and Igwuruta who due to historical reasons will side with Igboland.

This set of people are a minority.

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by cheruv: 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
nextdoor84:

This supports the proto Igbo theorem I read somewhere smiley

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Abagworo(m): 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Should we unveil the history of each and every one of the communities in Emohua? Please I hate distortion.

I saw where you wrote "whi'a" and "fi'a" as "come" instead of "come out". In central Igbo it is "puta" but in Imo State dialects spoken around Owerri and Ohaji it is "fu'a" or "whi'a".

Ikwerre ethnic group might not be Igbo but Ikwerre language is unarguably a version of Igbo language sharing affirnity with other Southern Igbo languages in Imo and Abia States.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
Abagworo:

Should we unveil the history of each and every one of the communities in Emohua? Please I hate distortion.

I saw where you wrote "whi'a" and "fi'a" as "come" instead of "come out". In central Igbo it is "puta" but in Imo State dialects spoken around Owerri and Ohaji it is "fu'a" or "whi'a".

Ikwerre ethnic group might not be Igbo but Ikwerre language is unarguably a version of Igbo language sharing affirnity with other Southern Igbo languages in Imo and Abia States.

I always write the truth. Why would i distort Anything?

Abagworo i know u feel you are good in Ikwerre, but if you are dropped in some Ikwerre communities, you will need an interpreter.

NB: Ugomba sorry about ur thread. It wasn't intentional, twas only overtaken by events.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
Abagworo:

Abagworo my boss. You came at the right time. Both Abagworo (maternal) and Hopeathand at brothers so I think this is just a family discussion.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Abagworo(m): 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

I always write the truth. Why would i distort Anything?

Abagworo i know u feel you are good in Ikwerre, but if you are dropped in some Ikwerre communities, you will need an interpreter.

NB: Ugomba sorry about ur thread. It wasn't intentional, twas only overtaken by events.

Of course I barely pick few phrases in many Emohua dialects. Some I don't even comprehend but it doesn't change the linguistic classification as the root still smells Igbo. Ezaa in Ebonyi State is same.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Lajet: 12:41pm On Jan 01, 2016
I thought that Isiokpo is in Imo state is there any other Isiokpo in River state
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Abagworo(m): 12:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
Eastlink:
Abagworo my boss. You came at the right time. Both Abagworo (maternal) and Hopeathand at brothers so I think this is just a family discussion.

My view is that Ikwerre ethnic group is not Igbo. The difference is more of attitude than culture and language. The attitudinal attributes of a typical Igbo is different from that of typical Ikwerre. However the culture/tradition and language is same. The Igbos that think Ikwerre is one of them do so out of innocence but most Ikwerres fueled by postwar conspiracy think its for land grab.

This argument of Ikwerre vs Igbo will continue to come up as its difficult for hinterland Igbos to understand the distinct ethnicity of Ikwerre as Igbos believe that anybody that speaks one form of Igbo or the other is but Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by HopeAtHand: 12:47pm On Jan 01, 2016
Abagworo:

Of course I barely pick few phrases in many Emohua dialects. Some I don't even comprehend but it doesn't change the linguistic classification as the root still smells Igbo. Ezaa in Ebonyi State is same.

Thanks again for being truthful.

An Igboman came from Abia to preach in Obelle at a burial i attended sometime in November. He was preaching in Igbo, after 15mins the crowd became inpatient and there were murmurings. I told the people around me to bear with the sermon that i dnt understand why people nowadays aren't patient enough to listen to Gods word. The response i got was they weren't understanding anything because they don't hear Igbo language.

I flowed well because i was taught Igbo as national language in secondary school. But every other individual was lost.

Now i find it disheartening that my people who do not understand Igbo language, cannot interact with an average Igboman, should then be classed as one. Emohua people, Ikwerre people cannot understand why we have to accept to be a people who we arent.

So many Igbos online are just naive, thry think Ikwerreland is viewed just through PH and Obio/Akpor. Emohua is the single largest indigenous LGA in Ikwerreland and Rivers. If you cant convince us, then u have failed.
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by freshvine(f): 1:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Thanks again for being truthful.

An Igboman came from Abia to preach in Obelle at a burial i attended sometime in November. He was preaching in Igbo, after 15mins the crowd became inpatient and there were murmurings. I told the people around me to bear with the sermon that i dnt understand why people nowadays aren't patient enough to listen to Gods word. The response i got was they weren't understanding anything because they don't hear Igbo language.

I flowed well because i was taught Igbo as national language in secondary school. But every other individual was lost.

Now i find it disheartening that my people who do not understand Igbo language, cannot interact with an average Igboman, should then be classed as one. Emohua people, Ikwerre people cannot understand why we have to accept to be a people who we arent.

So many Igbos online are just naive, thry think Ikwerreland is viewed just through PH and Obio/Akpor. Emohua is the single largest indigenous LGA in Ikwerreland and Rivers. If you cant convince us, then u have failed.

Chidi Lloyd is from Emuoha. He speaks and dress igbo.

Most Emuoha indigenes dress in igbo traditional garb unlike their port Harcourt and Obio Akpor brothers.

Emuoha people bear real igbo names unlike the other two areas mentioned above whose names are a little bit adulterated

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Eastlink(m): 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
Abagworo:

My view is that Ikwerre ethnic group is not Igbo. The difference is more of attitude than culture and language. The attitudinal attributes of a typical Igbo is different from that of typical Ikwerre. However the culture/tradition and language is same. The Igbos that think Ikwerre is one of them do so out of innocence but most Ikwerres fueled by postwar conspiracy think its for land grab.

This argument of Ikwerre vs Igbo will continue to come up as its difficult for hinterland Igbos to understand the distinct ethnicity of Ikwerre as Igbos believe that anybody that speaks one form of Igbo or the other is but Igbo.
Most Ikwerres posses such unruly attitude and not all? I remember when growing up as a kid in the streets of Diobu in the early 90's with my Police officer father. There, I discovered a stern attitude amongst the Ikwerres when it comes to their relationship with the hinterland Igbos.
Although, our relationship with them was very cordial that you would think we were Ikwerre too. My uncle, at that time, had no issue buying an hectre of land for his business, because to the Ikwerres we were Rivers indigenes. But many hinterland Igbos could not get lands because of the post-war notion that the Igbos were out to dispossess the Ikwerres of their heritage.
Later Popsy was transferred to Kwara and then Lagos where he retired. But even during our stay in P/H, I remember asking my father while the Ikwerre posses such unruly attitude towards the Igbos, he will correct me by saying 'I dont think it has to do with all Ikwerres, just but a few'. I later discovered that the few he was referring too were clans domicilled in the old P/H city, areas like Phalga, Obiakpor, lower parts of Emohua and lower Ikwerre LGA, of which in the long run many northern Ikwerre towns bought the false notion.
But with each passing day, the viel is gradually falling off their eyes. If it was 80% before in the 70s you now have a reduction to less than 20%.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by anticabal1: 1:37pm On Jan 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Eastlink from his write-up i can deduce that within the Ekpeye ethnicity there are elements who stand on the Igbo side. The ones on the Igbo side take their stand primarily as a result of their historical connections with Igboland.

I believe that that is the same situation with some few Ikwerres maybe from Elele, Isiokpo and Igwuruta who due to historical reasons will side with Igboland.

This set of people are a minority.

And only your emohua lga is majority than every other rivers man put together? this guy well so?
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Rose2014: 3:11pm On Jan 01, 2016
"Who is the minister of petroleum? Is he not Igbo? Who is the CBN governor? Is he not Igbo?"

But Barca n his bro said there're no Igbos in SS abi Nigerdelta

I still can't get over the fact that these guys try determine for you when u should be Igbo n when not to

1 Like

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by joeprince23(m): 3:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
The truth is that in present day rivers state they has been a growing igboid unity (igbo,ikwerre,ndoni,ndoki,omuma,ekpeye, etc) so much so that it is no longer wise to go by non-igbo names ie. Aaron fortune,douglas smith etc (which prior to creation of Bayelsa was a norm with the ikwerre) in PH today an igboid name can and will certainly give you an edge. Even in various open air markets(mile-1,oil-mill,eke-oyigbo etc) many riverine traders have been complaining of marginalization. This is seriously hunting people like dakuku peterside,he made many retorics in aluu during his campaign(saying he is igbo and speaking in igbo dialect spoken in opobo) NOW ask your self this? Why did amaechi choose an opobo man,if he really wanted s true riverine gov. He should have choosen some 1 from abua-odua,ogu-bolu,okrika. A true okrika man knows that opobo is riverine only by name(maybe also by geography) and igbo by culture,language,demography and ancestry. MY POINT is that if your name is chidi eze,no one wants to where you are from whether SE or SS you are just a typical PH boy

7 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by joeprince23(m): 3:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
The truth is that in present day rivers state they has been a growing igboid unity (igbo,ikwerre,ndoni,ndoki,omuma,ekpeye, etc) so much so that it is no longer wise to go by non-igbo names ie. Aaron fortune,douglas smith etc (which prior to creation of Bayelsa was a norm with the ikwerre) in PH today an igboid name can and will certainly give you an edge. Even in various open air markets(mile-1,oil-mill,eke-oyigbo etc) many riverine traders have been complaining of marginalization. This is seriously hunting people like dakuku peterside,he made many retorics in aluu during his campaign(saying he is igbo and speaking in igbo dialect spoken in opobo) NOW ask your self this? Why did amaechi choose an opobo man,if he really wanted s true riverine gov. He should have choosen some 1 from abua-odua,ogu-bolu,okrika. A true okrika man knows that opobo is riverine only by name(maybe also by geography) and igbo by culture,language,demography and ancestry. MY POINT is that if your name is chidi eze,no one wants to where you are from whether SE or SS you are just a typical PH guy....

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
This is Okwor Ononeze Kenneth Dominic Esq. He
hails from Umualegu Village in Eha-Alumona Town,
Nsukka LGA of Enugu State. An alumnus of University
of Jos where he bagged his LLB Degree(2nd Class
Upper Division). For his BL, he sojourned to Nigeria
Law School,Lagos Campus. It was at the Nigeria Law
School that he achieved a great feat that stood him
out from the rest of the pack!
Until October, 2015, the maximum awards won by
any person at the Nigeria Law School was 7. Fatima
Bombom Sani from Kogi State broke that record, the
first to do so, and made it 9 awards in October 2015.
Mr. Okwor Kenneth.O.Dominic, 2 months later in
December 2015 broke that record! He bagged 10
awards as he made First Class in his set's bar finals,
becoming the best graduating student in his set,
those called to the Bar this December! Okwor's feat
varied the narrative whilst restoring parity in
bragging rights.
Thus, while Fatima Bombom Sanni holds sway as the
first female to win the highest number of awards,
Okwor Kenneth Esq holds the light for the male folk
to achieve similar feat!!!
As it is currently, the sum total, is that Ononeze
Kenneth Okwor Dominic Esq is the best graduating
student in the history of the Nigeria Law School
spanning over 50 years with 1st Class Degree and 10
awards in his kitty!!!
He is the record holder at the moment!
He is my male legal personality of the year!
Congratulations and wishing him a splendid legal
career!
NB: Let's roll the drum and hit the dance floor for this worthy Igbo Son!
 — with Kenneth Ononeze Okwor.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
Yes there is, just learnt recently that there is Isiokpo in Imo
Lajet:
I thought that Isiokpo is in Imo state is there any other Isiokpo in River state
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
Igbos are doing well in all ramifications,just imagine a small boy breaking record in law.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Lajet: 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
Yes there is, just learnt recently that there is Isiokpo in Imo

Yes i know that Isiokpo is in Imo state but i don't know there is another Isiokpo in Ikwerre are the related or the only just have the same name
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 01, 2016
They should be the same people in different geopolitical zone
Lajet:

Yes i know that Isiokpo is in Imo state but i don't know there is another Isiokpo in Ikwerre are the related or the just bear the same name
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Lajet: 4:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
They should be the same people in different geopolitical zone

I understand now thanks because Isiokpo is the Head-Quarters of Ikwerre local Government
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ok, but It doesn't mean anything being HQ, My town Nenwe Migrated from NenweNta in Awgu local government while am from Aninri same LG with Ike Ekweremadu deputy senate president. Igbo nation was balkanized due to state creation immediately after the war, today you see Igbos indeginous to states like benue, crossriver, akwaibom,delta,edo and rivers state
Lajet:

I understand now thanks because Isiokpo is the Head-Quarters of Ikwerre local Government
Re: Buhari And The Anioma-Igbo Identity. by Lajet: 5:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
DikeOha882:
Ok, but It doesn't mean anything being HQ, My town Nenwe Migrated from NenweNta in Awgu local government while am from Aninri same LG with Ike Ekweremadu deputy senate president. Igbo nation was balkanized due to state creation immediately after the war, today you see Igbos indeginous to states like benue, crossriver, akwaibom,delta,edo and rivers state

Yes you are right

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sheriff Asks Court To Jail Makarfi, FFK, Obi, Others Over Contempt / I Pray APC Remains In Crisis - Wike / Goodluck/ Sambo transformation package for Journalists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.