Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:24 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (416) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1333077 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (1233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Dharmmieojo(m): 10:02am On Aug 20, 2014
deji2009:

Computer make and model number please

xp or vita ? any recent repairs ?

do you use generator of recent ?

any windows tweaking recently, windows
tweaking is where you change the settings
to a higher value. for example registry wait to kill 20000
to 1000

Tnks for ur responds bro uhm its an hp probook 4430s core i5 I installed window 7 ultimate nd installed some driver pack dts wen I noticed d wahala
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
Dharmmieojo:

Tnks for ur responds bro uhm its an hp probook 4430s core i5 I installed window 7 ultimate nd installed some driver pack dts wen I noticed d wahala

Is the laptop a windows 7 originally ?

use google to find out how to system restore to
a time it works.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
yeuch: ya but it was trying to repair something on the memory which seemed to be unending

what is the thing ?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
Onyiclara:
U'r a genius! I just did this on my laptop that has been blank for like 1week n it's back to normal. Can't thank u enough, kiss bt another thing is that d ba3 stops charging at 60%,though it's good n it lasts. What might be d cause of that?

Onyiclara:
U'r a genius! I just did this on my laptop that has been blank for like 1week n it's back to normal. Can't thank u enough, kiss bt another thing is that d ba3 stops charging at 60%,though it's good n it lasts. What might be d cause of that?

To know more, google battery memeory effect. Is this an hp, if it is google
hp battery test to examine its condition
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by souljaboi51(m): 3:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
hi there, great job u doin.

please i have a compaq presario cq 57 with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd, windows 7. i bought it new last year january.
i noticed that of late, it is quite slow especially when i turn it on. it could take 7-10 mins to boot after putting the password. i still have 257gb or memory left. games like fm 2013 and need for speed which i have had since last year. i really dont know why it is very slow. any idea what is causing it cos i knw the hard drive isnt over loaded as i still have a lot of memory.
thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by fabolakers(m): 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
Need Help with Display Problem in my Laptop (HP G60-230US)

My battery was completely dead so my Laptop was like a normal TV. When Light goes off, it goes off automatically. When there is Light and I turn it on, what I normally get is Checksum Error page telling me to press F1 to load COSMOS default value and when I do that, the system will load normally but my date and time will reset back to 2001 so I will have to reset it any time I put on my Laptop.

I decided to change the battery and everything was Good until 2 days later I started getting completely blank screen whenever I turn on the Laptop. The Power button and the WiFi button will come on but the screen will not power On. Just completely dark. So I'll have to leave it like that for about an hour, then hold the power button for it to shut down then when I on it again before it will be able to display normally.

When I on it sometimes for the first time, it will jus show the power light and off immediately and at times it will just be blinking.

I thought maybe the battery that I bought was bad but I got the same result when I decided to power it on without the battery.

So Experts in the house, if you understand what the problem is, please help. I'm thinking maybe it the BIOS battery but I wnt to be sure before changing it.

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 4:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
Hi computer engineers,

I'm using an Acer 32-bit laptop with the following configuration.
RAM - 1GB
Processor - 1.6GHz dual CPU (intel)
Operating system - Windows 7 Ultimate

The laptop has been slowing down of late and sometimes freezes up for like a minute which can be frustrating. I have a good anti virus and I have formatted the laptop several times but the problem still persist.

I'm currently thinking of upgrading the RAM to 3GB or 4G but I don't know if that would solve the problem.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Dharmmieojo(m): 4:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
deji2009:

Is the laptop a windows 7 originally ?

use google to find out how to system restore to
a time it works.

Well I met windows 8 on it wen I bought cud dat av affected it? Wud try ur option tnks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by xxgig(m): 5:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
adetwin:
xxgig: For some months now, i have noticed that when i am using my system (compaq presario CQ57), i see a flash of a program icon on the taskbar trying to load, it happens so fast that i have not been able to see properly what program is trying to load. each time this happens, every application i am running on full screen becomes minimized. please what should i do?

that means there is an unwanted program on ur system, ok go to start type run in the search column then type msconfig & hit ur enter key after that a dialog box will come up locate the startup what u do now under d startup column uncheck d unwanted startup programs after that apply & restart ur system to confirm if it still comes up... Note: If You Can't Please Lets Know

I have been able to identify the program trying to load as INTERACTIVE SERVICE DETECTION, and i have stop the service through "services.msc" how ever, the mouse pointer still shows that symbol that indicate something is loading every 1-2 minute, also i will like to know the implications if any of stopping the INTERACTIVE SERVICE DETECTION, thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
Dharmmieojo:

Well I met windows 8 on it wen I bought cud dat av affected it? Wud try ur option tnks

Dharmmieojo:

These are the manufacturer's compatible operating system for your machine.
Having listed the compatible Operating system , would you check your system
properties using control panel on the start menu and ensure the operating system
type you have installed is on the list. for example, 32 bit windows 7 cd used on a
32 bit laptop. how did you format the laptop, e.g. cd or a pen drive to install the
windows 7. any blue screen recently ?

Linux
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
numericalguy: Hi computer engineers,

RAM - 1GB

The laptop has been slowing down of late and sometimes freezes up for like a minute which can be frustrating. I have a good anti virus and I have formatted the laptop several times but the problem still persist.

I'm currently thinking of upgrading the RAM to 3GB or 4G but I don't know if that would solve the problem.

RAM - 1GB

what is the exact model of your laptop ? for example acer aspire 5315 windows vista
which of the software originally came with it, windows vista or 7 ?
how is it slow ? for example on the internet or when firing up ?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 5:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
sorry guys that i have been out of here for sometime. This thread is more like a second home to me. I have been a bit busy in recent times. Should be back soon. Thumbs up to all who have been helping out deji and the rest whose names i can't fully list. If nobody appreciates your help and efforts. Some people do. Good job.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
deji2009:

what is the exact model of your laptop ? for example acer aspire 5315 windows vista
which of the software originally came with it, windows vista or 7 ?
how is it slow ? for example on the internet or when firing up ?

Thanks deji,

Its an Acer ASPIRE 4720Z
It originally came with windows vista but I've since upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate
There is no appreciable speed drop when starting up
Its always connected to the internet via wireless from 9am to 9pm (which are my active time)
It also slows down or freezes up when I'm not on the internet
it freezes more frequently when I'm watching a movie.
I sometimes will have to restart the laptop before I can continue with whatever I was doing
Even when I have several applications running at the same time, switching between applications can me slow at times
I had a look at the RAM meter and it was above 90% when it froze
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by MARKone(m): 10:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
fabolakers: Need Help with Display Problem in my Laptop (HP G60-230US)

My battery was completely dead so my Laptop was like a normal TV. When Light goes off, it goes off automatically. When there is Light and I turn it on, what I normally get is Checksum Error page telling me to press F1 to load COSMOS default value and when I do that, the system will load normally but my date and time will reset back to 2001 so I will have to reset it any time I put on my Laptop.

I decided to change the battery and everything was Good until 2 days later I started getting completely blank screen whenever I turn on the Laptop. The Power button and the WiFi button will come on but the screen will not power On. Just completely dark. So I'll have to leave it like that for about an hour, then hold the power button for it to shut down then when I on it again before it will be able to display normally.

When I on it sometimes for the first time, it will jus show the power light and off immediately and at times it will just be blinking.

I thought maybe the battery that I bought was bad but I got the same result when I decided to power it on without the battery.

So Experts in the house, if you understand what the problem is, please help. I'm thinking maybe it the BIOS battery but I wnt to be sure before changing it.

It is not the CMOS battery, neither is the back up battery, probably your laptop screen, or the flex, if you have a VGA cable, u can connect to an external monitor to see if it displays there. Secondly check your memory stick. But with this vvv

when I on it sometimes for the first time, it will jus show the power light and off immediately and at times it will just be blinking

U may be better off taking it to a technician, might be something more serious.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
fabolakers: Need Help with Display Problem in my Laptop (HP G60-230US)

I would advise you send your mobo to a good technician for proper soldering and replace a faulty transistor(s) and re-solder the power IC.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2014

RAM - 1GB

What is the Acer model?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by factorial1(m): 10:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
Evening, please... what could be the problem? whenever I press shift + 2, instead of it to bring #... it will display " and vice versa... I've tried ti change the system language to solve the problem.... but I could only see only one language available there. Anyobe with a solution to this should please proffer one. Thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by MARKone(m): 10:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
souljaboi51: hi there, great job u doin.

please i have a compaq presario cq 57 with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd, windows 7. i bought it new last year january.
i noticed that of late, it is quite slow especially when i turn it on. it could take 7-10 mins to boot after putting the password. i still have 257gb or memory left. games like fm 2013 and need for speed which i have had since last year. i really dont know why it is very slow. any idea what is causing it cos i knw the hard drive isnt over loaded as i still have a lot of memory.
thanks.

What is ur processor type, and speed

I want to assume your complain bothers on the Boot time if ur equipment. If so, start ur system in Safe mode by pressing F8 while it is starting, if it does not lag, then the problem is from some applications loading with the OS during start up.

Restart the system to normal mode. Hold ur windows logo key + R, on the run dialog box, type msconfig and press enter. Locate the "startup" tab, at the bottom, u will see a disable all check box, click on it, then ok and restart the system. Uninstall all unwanted programs and try to defragment ur hard disk. Let us know if this solves the problem.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
factorial1: Evening, please... what could be the problem? whenever I press shift + 2, instead of it to bring #... it will display " and vice versa... I've tried ti change the system language to solve the problem.... but I could only see only one language available there. Anyobe with a solution to this should please proffer one. Thanks
You need to change your Keyboard layout to QWERTY American English. if you are using Windows 7 do the following:

1) Click 'Start' and type into search bar intl.cpl and press ENTER

2) Click Keyboard and Regional Language tab.

3) Next click 'change Keyboard'

4) Click 'Add' and scroll down for English USA and click the [+] to expand it.

5) Select the box close to keyboard and click 'OK'.

6) Click 'Default input language' the drop-down and select 'American English'.

7) click 'Apply' and click 'Ok'.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tammyboy1(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2014
Pls help,pc shows,*boot operation failed,install an operating system*,i have windows 7 install already,pls what do i do?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2014
all4naija: What is the Acer model?

Its an Acer ASPIRE 4720Z
32-bit laptop
RAM - 1GB
It originally came with windows vista but I've since upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate
Its always connected to the internet via wireless from 9am to 9pm (which are my active time)
I sometimes will have to restart the laptop before I can continue with whatever I was doing
Even when I have several applications running at the same time, switching between applications can me slow at times
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by LordReed(m): 11:03am On Aug 21, 2014
numericalguy:

Its an Acer ASPIRE 4720Z
32-bit laptop
RAM - 1GB

You are using to little RAM. Win7 minimum is 2GB. If you can upgrade your RAM to 3GB.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 12:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
LordReed:

You are using to little RAM. Win7 minimum is 2GB. If you can upgrade your RAM to 3GB.

Thanks, I thought as much.

There are two sticks of 500MB in each RAM slot in my laptop.
I'm thinking of getting two of 2GB to make it 4GB
or do you think I can get two 1.5GB RAMs to make 3GB (I dont know if 1.5GB exist).
How can I tell a genuine RAM from a fake and do you have any idea how much it can cost me.
Also can I sell off the old ones or make a bargain to get the new ones.

I need to arm myself with all these info. before i go and buy.
thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2014
numericalguy:

Its an Acer ASPIRE 4720Z
32-bit laptop
RAM - 1GB
There are three things you would have to do in getting it back with appreciable speed.

1) Upgrading the RAM not more than 2 GB

2) Download malwarebytes, install it and scan your system for malware.

3) Get another hard disk if it is still having the same problem. It is clear there are bad sectors on your HDD. I would choose this third option if I were you.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 1:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
all4naija: There are three things you would have to do in getting it back with appreciable speed.

1) Upgrading the RAM not more than 2 GB

2) Download malwarebytes, install it and scan your system for malware.

3) Get another hard disk if it is still having the same problem. It is clear there are bad sectors on your HDD. I would choose this third option if I were you.

Thanks.

But one of the reasons I formated the laptop (three times) was to clean it for viruses and malwares.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
numericalguy:

Thanks.

But one of the reasons I formated the laptop (three times) was to clean it for viruses and malwares.

Go for the third option. It is clear that is major cause.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by LordReed(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
numericalguy:

Thanks, I thought as much.

There are two sticks of 500MB in each RAM slot in my laptop.
I'm thinking of getting two of 2GB to make it 4GB
or do you think I can get two 1.5GB RAMs to make 3GB (I dont know if 1.5GB exist).
How can I tell a genuine RAM from a fake and do you have any idea how much it can cost me.
Also can I sell off the old ones or make a bargain to get the new ones.

I need to arm myself with all these info. before i go and buy.
thanks

For a 32bit system 4GB will be a waste because the system will only make use of 3GB unless of course you upgrade the OS to 64bit at the same time.

I don't know the current prices for RAM modules in Nigeria but 2GB should be between 5-6k.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 21, 2014
all4naija:
Go for the third option. It is clear that is major cause.

thanks a lot bro.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
LordReed:

For a 32bit system 4GB will be a waste because the system will only make use of 3GB unless of course you upgrade the OS to 64bit at the same time.

I don't know the current prices for RAM modules in Nigeria but 2GB should be between 5-6k.

thanks for the info bro. i really apreciate.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 2:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
@ all4naija and LordReed,

I can only go for one of the advices you guys have given.
Should I get the hard disc or RAM upgrade.

Thanks to you guys and one love.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by LordReed(m): 2:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
numericalguy: @ all4naija and LordReed,

I can only go for one of the advices you guys have given.
Should I get the hard disc or RAM upgrade.

Thanks to you guys and one love.

I don't think a HDD fail is eminent, you can do a checkdisc for bad sectors. I would advise you to buy the RAM, its cheaper and will have more immediate effect on overall system performance.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by numericalguy(m): 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
LordReed:

I don't think a HDD fail is eminent, you can do a checkdisc for bad sectors. I would advise you to buy the RAM, its cheaper and will have more immediate effect on overall system performance.

Thanks... more grease, ororo and red oil to your elbows grin

Also @ all4naija.. thanks a million for the wonderful advice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) ... (1233) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.