Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81955 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:48am On Apr 09, 2008
Every thing seems interesting!

@gentlelove, when did u join them and how do you see things there? How many times do they do induction in a year, incase one is not able to meet up with May 10 induction?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 10:10am On Apr 09, 2008
MyPeace:

Every thing seems interesting!

@gentlelove, when did u join them and how do you see things there? How many times do they do induction in a year, incase one is not able to meet up with May 10 induction?

MyPeace, dont know whether they do it twice a year, but i was told by the DG that Induction is May 10. so far so good, where i was working before, all the secretaries put in for the course and we have never had any regrets.

i think its a good professiona qualification too. but my sister, i still dey find money wey i go take do ICSAN o. i must be chartered there.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:22am On Apr 09, 2008
Thanks gentlelove,

l will call the DG myself.

my view on ICSAN is that its favours Law professionals than administrative secretaries. l believe there is a big distinction btw Admin Secretaries and Coy Secretaries. l have never seen any coy secretary whose background is HND/Bsc in Sec. Admin.

No harm in additional qualification anyway, but just saying my mind.

Cheers tongue
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2008
MyPeace:

Thanks gentlelove,

l will call the DG myself.

my view on ICSAN is that its favours Law professionals than administrative secretaries. l believe there is a big distinction between Admin Secretaries and Coy Secretaries. l have never seen any coy secretary whose background is HND/Bsc in Sec. Admin.

No harm in additional qualification anyway, but just saying my mind.

Cheers tongue

You are right about that, Peace. my former boss was a Lawyer and he did the course and passed. is there any other professional qualification a secretary can aspire to get other than NIPS? i am a student of Chartered Institute of Administration too and still feel i need to do more.

honestly Peace, the distinction between HND and BSc has made me also considered going back to school to study International Relations. always loved that course since childhood.

i have these to say. whats your opinion??
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:02am On Apr 09, 2008
l can understand ur plight. Chartered insitute of adminstration is a good one, l hv been planning to roll in for years now, l think am so lazy about it. Going back to school to earn Bsc may still be a good option, but have u thought of doing a PGD and Masters? l learnt at chartered insitute of administration they also do degree program organised by Imo State University, as their student have u considered this option.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 11:25am On Apr 09, 2008
@ MyPeace,

i have considered that option too. but earning a degree from Imo whatever is not my plan. i intend going to do a PGD but a friend told me i can go straight to do my Masters since i passed with 4.49 from school.

the options now is - finish my CIA.
Start my Masters
Go for a fresh course entlirely in a reputable University
Travel out for Masters
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Seun(m): 11:28am On Apr 09, 2008
I think I need a personal assistant but I'm not sure.
How can one be sure that one needs your services?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 11:49am On Apr 09, 2008
Seun:

When you discover that you are no more organised.  that you forget appointments easily.  that you are too busy to write letters or even typeset them.  that you do not want to be picking phone calls and welcoming visitors.  that you feel you might not be chanced to go for a particular seminar or conference and you need someone to represent you there. 

the work of a Personal Assistant is just like having someone to clean your dirts and mess for you but in the context of official duties.  someone who assists/helps you to be more organised. cool
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2008
gentledove:

When you discover that you are no more organised. that you forget appointments easily. that you are too busy to write letters or even typeset them. that you do not want to be picking phone calls and welcoming visitors. that you feel you might not be chanced to go for a particular seminar or conference and you need someone to represent you there.

Good one gentlelove, keep it up.

As per ur plans, they are just the best.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 12:18pm On Apr 09, 2008
@ MyPeace,

thanks. i am trying to make the right choice and still get married. i guess whatever i can conceive, i can pursue and achieve.

have a great day ahead cool
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:36pm On Apr 09, 2008
thx, and wishing u same tongue
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2008
Hello Everyone,  its really been a long time.  I hope you all are enjoying your jobs?

I commend the efforts of many of you who have kept this forum alife. 
Mypeace, keep it up.

Seun:

Welldone gentledove and goodluck in your aspirations.

Above all,  this body: Nigerian Institute of Professional Secretaries seems interesting. 
I believe its worth giving a trial.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Seun(m): 6:44pm On Apr 11, 2008
Thanks gentledove. Based on what you said, shocked
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2008
Hi ppl, fellow members of the PA CLUB
HOW DO U COMBINE THE JOB OF A PA , MARRIAGE AND YOUR CHILDEN ASSUMING
YOU ARE MARRIED.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:11am On Apr 15, 2008
l called the DG, he said induction is done twice a year, after the May 2008, they are proposing another one for September 2008 in Abuja, but has not finally decided on it yet. Therefore if you miss the Lagos induction for May, you have to wait till April/May 2009 for another one.

@gentledove
Since you have paid, do it and tell us how far, l will do mine next year. (hahaha, am always procasitnating, God go help me oo - time waits for nobody!)
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by nasirtofa: 9:08am On Apr 17, 2008
Hi, Everyone,

I know about NIPS, I have attended some of their courses.  But does anyone knows about National Association of Professional Secretarial Staff of Nigeria (NAPSSON)?  If anyone knows, please let me hear his/her views on the body.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:47am On Apr 17, 2008
nasirtofa:

Hi, Everyone,

I know about NIPS, I have attended some of their courses. But does anyone knows about National Association of Professional Secretarial Staff of Nigeria (NAPSSON)? If anyone knows, please let me hear his/her views on the body.

Thank you.

So them still get another one.

@nasirtofa, when did you join the association? What are the financial obligation apart from the membership registration fee. l mean as in yearly subcription fee or any other.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Xtyan: 11:55am On Apr 17, 2008
Hi My Peace, long time.
We talked last year when we were discussing about the challenges of our profession and change of job.
By God's grace I have changed job and I'm also interested in NIPS membership

As a matter of fact, all of us P.A.'s/Secretaries need to belong to showcase our profession and also learn from our senior colleagues in the profession.

You know most times we commonise this profession but such forum will broaden our horizon and gives us more challenges.

Keep the this forum ALIVE !!!!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2008
@Xtyan

your welcome back and congratulations on ur new job!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by nasirtofa: 3:46pm On Apr 17, 2008
MayPeace,

I was with them since 1999.  They have two types of membership.  Corporate (Organisation) membership and individual membership.  Individuals in an organisation can come together, form a branch and register with the Association.  There is also an individual membership. For a branch to register, it is N5,000.00 and for an individual, there is a form for N1,500.00 and then N5,000.00 processing fee.  When this is done, a certificate will be issued.

They normally organised a workshop annually after which  an Annual General Meeting follows. There is also what they called a National Consultative Committee Meeting where matters affecting the Secretarial Profession are discussed and a way forward sought.

This is just a summary.

Thank you
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2008
Thank you nasirtofa , what of the N15,000 induction fee, gentledove talked about? All the same, it's a good forum to belong. make una dey go, l go catch una there kiss
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 10:44am On Apr 21, 2008
My People for this forum,

Sorry i have not posted any comment for sometime now. I intend to do that sooooon.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by sushiluv(f): 11:24am On Apr 21, 2008
HI landers,
while u all throw advices on sec post pls i need ur help just got dis job and im asked to compose a letter to clients wishin thema happy birthday and informin dem about services available pls can any1 post me a model.thanks
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Funzat(f): 2:18pm On Apr 21, 2008
Hello everyone!!! I'm new on this forum and will like to be an active member of the group. A friend invited me and since I logged on, all I've read so far has been really inspiring. Kudos to the initiator of this forum and to all of you in the house. You guys are doing a great job. I wish everyone a wonderful week ahead. cheers cheesy

I read something on "THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL SECRETARIES" what about this institute please? Can anyone enlighten me more?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:55pm On Apr 21, 2008
@Funzat

u are welcome to our forum.

on the NIPS, all u read so far is all the info we could gather for now. YOu may go to their site for more details or preferable call the DG's number listed here as l did.

Would be glad to read more from u. smiley
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Funzat(f): 4:32pm On Apr 22, 2008
hello everyone,

I just took up a PA job some two months back and since then I've been trying to lay my hands on information that will help me give my best to the job until a friend introduced me to this forum some days back.
I need someone to help me with this please: I need to draft a felicitation message for my boss whose husband is to be awarded an Honorary Doctorate degree by one of the Nigerian Universities and sincerely I do not know how to go about it. I've drafted one or two but want to get other people's idea before submitting them to her tomorrow morning. Thanks smiley
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 12:09pm On Apr 24, 2008
Hi
why dont you flip through pages of News dailies you will
surely come across some and also serach the goggle engine
it will help
Have a nice day
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by nasirtofa: 12:58pm On Apr 24, 2008
Hi everyone

Does anybody remember that this week i.e. (April 20 - 25, 2008) is the Secretaries Week (aka Admin Prof. week - American).  Are you aware that Wednesday, April 23, 2008 was the Secretaries day.  Do you celebrate the week/day. If yes how?

Please let me hear from my professional colleagues.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 1:04pm On Apr 24, 2008
@nasirtofa

Have heard about it to be every April 26. never celebrated it. na Oyibo mentality grin grin.  no mind my "africanity" mentality o.  Lets hear from others.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by dominobaby(f): 5:29pm On Apr 24, 2008
i've just been made an unofficial Personal Assistant to my boss at work!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2008
To all concerned

UNILAG postgraduate forms are out. closes May 30, 2008. Hurry if you are interested like my humble self. cheesy
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Funzat(f): 1:24pm On Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion Chy. I did that but you know how it is when you have a boss who is prim and proper. Anyway, I was able to come up with few ones and she was able to make her final choice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply)

Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.