Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81953 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by brownbaby(f): 3:27pm On Jan 10, 2008
Mypeace, I know you'll always check this thread.

Pls send the Maggi recipe book to my box I want to

thrill my husband with different recipes pls. bukkyjil2004@yahoo.com

Expecting ur response, thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 6:01pm On Jan 10, 2008
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! My Prayer for All this year are
NEW JOB for those that are wearing out with present one and the jobless.
NEW HOME for all those that a looking forward for that
NEW FINANCIAL UPLIFTMENT
ABOVE ALL GOD Guideane, Blessing, Protection and Divine Empowerment.

I have missed a lot, I don't know where to start although it wasn't intentionally. All that teena said about HND working in a bank I believe that is absolute truth. Discrimination, Humilation if you are not careful. infact it is only God will save Some HND Holders in this Country. Experience have thought me a great teacher.

The Job had been so challenaging to me as this is my first time of working in a corporate environment, but thank God for His grace and this forum. God will see us thru.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Olami7(f): 4:33pm On Jan 11, 2008
Hello fellow Secretaries/PA in the house,  i have always being following this particular trend for some months now and i feel it is time i join the forum, a decision i finally took today.  I work as a Secretary/PA to the CEO of a Company owned by individual in Lekki (salary not attractive) with time i intend changing my job to any multinational coy.  I believe  i can contribute my quota and also benefit from the forum i wish you all well in this new year.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 6:10pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Olami.3
You took a rightful decision, you will not regret. God will provide a better job for you in Jesus name. you are Welcome.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by indie(f): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2008
hmmm, very interesting. i now see PA jobs from a whole new point of view, all thanx to mypeace.
thanx a lot girl, for the 'expose'. u're too much infact! God bless u
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by kabirat(f): 11:23am On Jan 16, 2008
Compliments of the season to you all!

i would like the contribution of all to a pressing question that has been bordering me for so long and i m sure most of you must have encountered such situation one way or the other.

I attended an interview and was asked to handle this scenario: I am a Secretary to the MD/CEO (who is a male) of an organisation and my boss is attending to a female friend (Girl friend to be precise) in his office while his wife is at the reception waiting to see him. Hw will i prevent the wife from knowing wat was going on in his office or prevent her from entering the office?

Secondly, My Boss is owing someone some amount of money and the person came to the office to seek for the payment of his money but my boss does not want to see him. Meanwhile the Creditor insisted on collecting his money that day. Hw will i handle the situation?

Your contributions would be highly appreciated as i ve never encountered such situation since my MD is a female but i would like to know in case i m employed to work with a male.

Thanks smiley
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2008
l welcome all the newcomers on board.

@Kabirat

Your question all depends on the office setting. l had worked with a male boss before now. Before any visitor (whehter personal or official) enters ur office, they will go thru the receptionist. So you will be alerted of the wife's presence. lf shes the type that obeys protocol, she will wait for your response before entering ur/boss's office. In this case, it will be nice if you go to the reception to meet her that ur oga is having a meeting with a client, that he will be with her in 5mins time. Before this, you would have told ur boss of her presence.

But if shes the one that just pop into ur office, definitely she will exchange greetings with you before seeing ur boss. Cease the opportunity to tell her that your boss is having a meeting with a client, offer her a seat in ur office, while u enter ur boss office immediately to alert him.

The third alternative for this case is to leave a message with the receptist not to allow anybody into ur office without your knowledge. Even if she doesnt listen to the receptionist, atleast the receptionist will prealert you that the wife is coming to your office, then you will be on guard on how to handle her.

On the second question.

lf l am aware the person is coming, l will leave a message at the security post not to allow the person with the excuse that my boss is not expecting him. Alternatively l will offer to speak with the person on the intercomm, trying to calm him down, if hes upset, promising to talk to my boss on his behalf.

If you are working in a one business business setup, secretarial work can generally be fustrating. These strategies work in an organised setting.

NB: My sister said in her case, she ordered the security men to walk the man out of her office, when the man stubbornly entered her office and was shouting brimestone. So each situtation determines the strategy to apply.

Lets hear from others.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:57pm On Jan 16, 2008
Compliments of the season to fellow Secretaries/Personal Assistants in the house.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2008
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my people.

I must confuse, it has been a hard time for me, but thank GOD it is WELL.

I want to wish everyone a wonderful, positioning 2008. Indeed everything would be consolidated for us all.

Just lets keep the communication flow open.

I love you all.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by finicky(m): 8:51am On Jan 18, 2008
Good day, good people on this forum, I've been on this thread for long and really learnt a lot, I'm a young lawyer just thru from law school currently serving in Abuja, i would very much like to tow the line of a company secretary/ legal adviser, i intend taking the ICSAN exams this june, but i would like to know if it is really as good as they say it is, i have been to their website and learnt a lot, though, it seems expensive but i feel if it is really what what people have been saying about it then it is worth it, please Mypeace and all other experienced people in the house advice me on this.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:08am On Jan 18, 2008
@ finicky

Take the exam, its good.  all the coy secretaries/legal advisers l have come across mostly took it, and its paying off for them.  That exam is better for someone with legal background. Companies employ someone with legal back for company secretaries, than  administrative secretaries who want to turn coy secretary by just taking the exam.

lts expensive but its worths it!!

All the best.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 5:55pm On Jan 18, 2008
@finicky

Congrats on POP from Law School, I think its ok for you to take the exam despite the cost if you can afford it because it is more beneficiary to people in your profession as it can enable to be a qualified Coy Sec.
G/Luck
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 5:58pm On Jan 18, 2008
@finicky

Congrats on POP from Law School, I think its ok for you to take the exam despite the cost if you can afford it because it is more beneficiary to people in your profession as it can enable to be a qualified Coy Sec.
G/Luck
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by finicky(m): 10:36am On Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Angelmart, Mypeace, i appreciate your responses, i need a more advice on this, i'm currently serving in a satellite communications company, though they have a legal department, i was sent to the HR department, for most times there i have nothing to do, i'm begining to feel i should look for another place for my NYSC, a place where i will at least get some experience as a lawyer, i'm not really interested in advocacy as i know [pardon my words] it sucks, i've spent more than a month in law firms that advocates-going to court and all that stuff,- i want nothing of advocacy execpt if i have to do it for charity, but i still feel i need experience, i feel i should leave this place for a firm, plus i have so much free time here i could invest it in studying even if it in in the office, but the thought of sitting doing nothing all day [sometimes a get to do a little memo here and there] but most times i just browse myself off.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 11:16am On Jan 22, 2008
kabirat:

Compliments of the season to you all!

i would like the contribution of all to a pressing question that has been bordering me for so long and i m sure most of you must have encountered such situation one way or the other.

I attended an interview and was asked to handle this scenario: I am a Secretary to the MD/CEO (who is a male) of an organisation and my boss is attending to a female friend (Girl friend to be precise) in his office while his wife is at the reception waiting to see him. Hw will i prevent the wife from knowing what was going on in his office or prevent her from entering the office?

Secondly, My Boss is owing someone some amount of money and the person came to the office to seek for the payment of his money but my boss does not want to see him. Meanwhile the Creditor insisted on collecting his money that day. Hw will i handle the situation?

Your contributions would be highly appreciated as i ve never encountered such situation since my MD is a female but i would like to know in case i m employed to work with a male.

Thanks smiley

@Kubirat, you are welcome.

Honestly, these 2 scenarios are not  easy to handle. Thanks to Mypeace for the contrinution.  

In the case of a Creditor, I think the best thing is to issue strict order at the Security Post to prevent the person from entering the office at all.  I had such a case some time last year. The creditor was a woman and we all know that most women are very stubborn especially when it comes to drawing debts. In this case, the securtiy man was not informed, and knowing the woman as one of our suppliers, he allowed her in.  The woman entered the reception and asked to meet my Boss, the receptionist said he wasnt available then, the woman just pushed her by the side and walked straight into my Boss office before the receptionist could ring me.  She insisted that she was not going anywhere until her money was paid.  Ofcourse, my Boss had no choice than to write a post-dated cheque for her.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 11:34am On Jan 22, 2008
finicky:

Thanks Angelmart, Mypeace, I appreciate your responses, i need a more advice on this, i'm currently serving in a satellite communications company, though they have a legal department, i was sent to the HR department, for most times there i have nothing to do, i'm begining to feel i should look for another place for my NYSC, a place where i will at least get some experience as a lawyer, i'm not really interested in advocacy as i know [pardon my words] it sucks, i've spent more than a month in law firms that advocates-going to court and all that stuff,- i want nothing of advocacy execpt if i have to do it for charity, but i still feel i need experience, i feel i should leave this place for a firm, plus i have so much free time here i could invest it in studying even if it in in the office, but the thought of sitting doing nothing all day [sometimes a get to do a little memo here and there] but most times i just browse myself off.

I understand your point Fincky.  From my own point of view, I think employers lack trust in the value of education in our country presently.  That is why they don't feel comfortable assigning the desired jobs to NYSC members.  When I did my own service in 2005, I was posted to a Local Government Council (HR Dept), no particular job was assigned to me and I had no desk.  They were using me as errand girl until they found out that I could type very well, then they would park lots of job and give me to type.  I will be the one to go and look for typewriter (manual) and typing materials to use and do the job for them. 

It was fraustrating,  I had to make alternative arrangements, that was when I got this place am working now, I started then on contract basis because I was reporting at the Council thrice a week b/w 8am - 2pm so I had time to prove my worth in my present job.  That's how they employed me after my NYSC, its not my desired job but at least it was a good start.

So spray your net, but before then try and see what you can grab from that place especially from their Legal Dept and through the internet. I wish you good luck!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by brownbaby(f): 12:21pm On Jan 30, 2008
@ Mypeace,

Thanks so much, I got it, stay blessed.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:08am On Feb 08, 2008
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by dchosen1(f): 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2008
Hello,

Vacancies exist  for experienced Male/Female Personal Assistants with a minimum of 4 years working experience as a PA/Secretary in a large and structured organisation. Remuneration is very competitive.

Requirements:
[list]BSC/ HND Degree[/list]
[list]Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written)[/list]
[list]Computer skills with advanced skills of MS Office applications is a must (Powerpoint, Word and Excel). [/list]
[list]Organized, energetic & confident. [/list]
[list]Takes initiative, possesses good interpersonal skills and meticulous attention to detail[/list]
[list]Flexible and able to work under pressure[/list]

Interested AND QUALIFIED Candidates  who possess confirmable evidence of the above requirements should send thier email addresses as a response to this post and they will contacted via same. This vacancy closes on the 13th of February 2008.

Regards,
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by loretta(f): 12:46pm On Feb 11, 2008
Attached is my CV.

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by loretta(f): 12:51pm On Feb 11, 2008
lorettaopara2@yahoo.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Olami7(f): 1:43pm On Feb 13, 2008
sanya.ayeni@yahoo.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by onikoyia(m): 2:08pm On Feb 13, 2008
peace ! great job,kudos to you.thanks for been a good member of this forum.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by nasirtofa: 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2008
Hi everyone.

I am new here. I just discovered this forum. I took time to go through all the previous postings and I have to acknowledged that I am impressed.

But where is everybody

Please come back. I am begining to enjoy your company
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 11:11am On Feb 27, 2008
nasirtofa,

It is very nice having you in this forum. I have just read your post and i want to welcome you on behalf of Mypeace. Kindly feel free to make comments and contributions anytime.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:47pm On Apr 08, 2008
Where is everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any body heard of THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL SECRETARIES[color=#000099][/color]?

www.nipsecretaries.org
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 4:58pm On Apr 08, 2008
I saw it in the Guardian Newspaper last week. I forgot to send the post to everyone. Am looking into already. I would like each of us to take advantage of this professional membership.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Aladunni(f): 5:13pm On Apr 08, 2008
MyPeace:

Any body heard of THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL SECRETARIES[color=#000099][/color]?

www.nipsecretaries.org

@mypeace

it seems you caught that from my thought, i just stumbled on the stuff this afternoon and i purposedly logged into nairaland to know if there is anything on it, so i can get all necessary info. i eventually logged into that site read all, thinking of calling them soon since they said those "hotlines" should be dialled in the evenings. I will try and get in touch before the close of work today and hint the house. But if anyone is faster, you can always get us fully informed.

With some print outs from their site, i see they have some good courses this year for individual development either as a member or not. check this http://nipsecretaries.org/workshop.htm
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 5:33pm On Apr 08, 2008
am glad u guys are interested. Am thinking of paying the N2000 membership fee for the May 2008 induction. Lets still make more enquries before final decision. That will be a good umbrella to pull us together.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 5:43pm On Apr 08, 2008
NOTE: 1. MPTP attracts 40 credit hours per year and is compulsory for all members

2. Members who do not earn up to 20 credit hours in a year stand the risk
of their names being deleted from the membership register.

abeg someone shd decode the bolded words.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Aladunni(f): 8:53am On Apr 09, 2008
MyPeace:

NOTE: 1. MPTP attracts 40 credit hours per year and is compulsory for all members

2. Members who do not earn up to 20 credit hours in a year stand the risk
of their names being deleted from the membership register.

abeg someone should decode the bolded words.

Hi y'all

just spoke with someone i later knew is the DG of the institute on this number 08033011365 as appeared on thier site.

Those credit hours is the unit on any one mandatory course a member attends in a year, and a mandatory course is 20 credit hours, so when you attend twice that in a year, you have fulfilled your full requirement for membership in the institute for the year. Meaning you must attend a course at least once in a year.

the fees the last sheet of the application form is the authentic one and should be followed
www.nipsecretaries.org/nipsform2.htm you can either download, print and fill out this form or you go to their secretariat and collect one.

There are groupings for members but a new member can easily fix self to a group as desired.

Please try and call the above number, am too sure you will hear more.

Take care
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gentledove(f): 9:02am On Apr 09, 2008
MyPeace:

www.nipsecretaries.org

I belong to the association.  being acting as Confidential Secretary to top officials since two months after my Youth Service.  just got a job as Personal Assistant to the MD/CEO in a reputable organisation and i am doing great.

Nigerian Institute of Professional Secretaries as an Associate Member.  our Indunction programme is coming up May 10, 2008 at Excellence Hotel, Ogba.  learnt its a good addition to our qualification. Paid N2,000 for the Form, N5,000 for processing of the Form and N15,000 for Induction Fee. you can talk to the DG on 01-4151549

cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply)

Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.