Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs (9735 Views)

5 Old Beliefs Of Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Which He Latter Abandoned / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Prof James Wood. From Psychopathic Atheist To Evangelist. Total Transformation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

You are just going round in circles. People formulated moral codes of conduct? How? Who showed them right morals from wrong? How did they even know where to start from?

Who else but men themselves. For example who showed men that women deserve equal rights as them? Men showed themselves and thought themselves that. Who showed the modern man not to criminalize gays and accept them? He showed himself. Men must teach themselves what ever moral code of conduct they chose to live by.

3 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

Humans have the ability to self reflect on their actions. We have the ability to put ourselves in the shoes of others. Read the words of the abolitionist and the cases they made against slavery. Just 500 years ago people didn't see slavery as a bad thing. The few that dI'd were able to convince the majority that it was a bad thing. You don't even have to go far. We have taught ourselves to give our women the same right as we men over time because of our ability to reason and self reflect. We have moved past that now and in this modern times we are even talking of animal rights. Now in our world today most advanced society do not see homosexuality as wrong. We have now come to reason that people can chose to love who ever they want. Morality isn't set in stone. It must be learned and it is constantly evolving.

Dalaman , are you suggesting that societal laws should determine what's right or wrong ?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 3:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

Who else but men themselves. For example who showed men that women deserve equal rights as them? Men showed themselves and thought themselves that. Show showed the modern man not to criminalize gays and accept them? He showed himself. Men must teach themselves what ever moral code of conduct they chose to live by.

You said men criminalized such savage actd but u fail to answer how did they even know what was criminal and what wasnt?

Who gave them such a noble blueprint? What is criminal in some areas isnt in others because morality isnt the same everywhere but to those whose laws favour gays and those whose law dont what makes one think being gay is right while another says its a crime?

Thats my point. What is the root of morality?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:36pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

This is not true . Who told you corruption is not beneficial to some people ? Or lying or stealing ? Even probity has been proven not to be beneficial to some people . E.g In the Asian world of business , it is acceptable to lie , because of the high financial gain . People lie and steal to get what they want . Taking the lives of guilty rapists would bring pain and sorrow to the family of the deceased .

You are just making assumptions - there is nothing copacetic about this response . ]

That's why I said morality varies from.place to place. In many societies like China stealing to promote the interest of the state is not seen as a bad thing. It is Infact encouraged. Paying bribes was once encouraged in the Americancooperate world to get acess to markets in other parts of the world. Morality is fluid it is not set in stone.

This does not explain how man could decipher what's wrong or right . You are just stating reprehension acts done throughout history .

Man is the one that has to bear the burden of living in a chaotic society, as such he is the one that must determine what right or wrong moral code he wants to live by. It is not all moral codes that are formulated to the benefit of the people. Some are just formulated to benefit the powers that be and protect their interest. That is why moral codes of conduct vary from society to society and time in history. But the general fact is that men formulated all these moral codes of conduct they chose to live by.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 3:39pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

That's why I said morality varies from.place to place. In many societies like China stealing to promote the interest of the state is not seen as a bad thing. It is Infact encouraged. Paying bribes was once encouraged in the Americancooperate world to get acess to markets in other parts of the world. Morality is fluid it is not set in stone. Man is the one that has to bear the burden of living in a chaotic society, as such he is the one that must determine what right or wrong moral code he wants to live by. It is not all moral codes that are formulated to the benefit of the people. Some are just formulated to benefit the powers that be and protect their interest. That is why moral codes of conduct vary from society to society and time in history. But the general fact is that men formulated all these moral codes of conduct they chose to live by.

Then there is no such thing as right or wrong - this was what I deduced . Am I right to make such ?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:41pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

You said men criminalized such savage actd but u fail to answer how did they even know what was criminal and what wasnt?

Who gave them such a noble blueprint? What is criminal in some areas isnt in others because morality isnt the same everywhere but to those whose laws favour gays and those whose law dont what makes one think being gay is right while another says its a crime?

Thats my point. What is the root of morality?

Man is the root of morality because he chose what ever system or set of moral codes to live by. If God is the source of human morality then why don't all moral codes come about the same way? Why don't people all see things the same way if God is the source of human morality? Why do some people see somethings as bad and others see it as God at the same time using God to justify it? People just use God and their religion to enforce what ever system of morality they chose for themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Then there is no such thing as right or wrong - this is what deduced . Am I right to make such ?

There is right and wrong based on what people chose. Is homosexuality right or wrong? To a Nigerian living in Nigeria it is wrong but to a person living in England or Switzerland it isn't wrong. Why is that so?

1 Like

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 3:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

Man is the root of morality because he chose what ever system or set of moral codes to live by. If God is the source of human morality then why don't all moral codes come about the same way? Why don't people all see things the same way if God is the source of human morality? Why do some people see somethings as bad and others see it as God at the same time using God to justify it? People just use God and their religion to enforce what ever system of morality they chose for themselves.

So in essence there is no right or wrong in this world just choices?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

There is right and wrong based on what people chose. Is homosexuality right or wrong? To a Nigerian living in Nigeria it is wrong but to a person living in England or Switzerland it isn't wrong. Why is that so?

Homosexuality is wrong because God says so . Dalaman , are you saying the societal laws determine what's right or wrong ?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

You are still missing the point entirely and going round in circles.

If homosexuality is acceptable in other places and not in others how did they arrive at each others conclussion?

They both want some form of order so why do they seek this yet defer in laws and acceptance of behaviour?

One feels his idea of right or wrong is better than the other but at the end of the day theg still have right and wrong in other areas independent of location. So how is it that they have moral ideals in the first place
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

In many societies like China stealing to promote the interest of the state is not seen as a bad thing. It is Infact encouraged.

So Dalaman , if you were raising your kid in China , you'll be comfortable with your child telling lies and stealing ? And will even adjure him to do so because it is to promote the interest of the state and is good for business ? Right ?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:55pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Homosexuality is wrong because God says so . Dalaman , are you saying the societal laws determine what's right or wrong ?

Which God? There are Gods that people worship that have no position on homosexuality or do not see it as wrong. For example some Hindu goods do not see it as wrong. Remember your God is not the only God that people believe in and worship. Societal laws determine what is right and wrong that is why no matter how you think polygamy is right you can't practice it in Sweden for example m and as a Swede no matter how right you feel homosexuality is you can practice it in Uganda.

3 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
.... Thought provoking...
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by UyiIredia(m): 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman with his merry-gorounds as usual. undecided
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 3:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

So Dalaman , if you were raising your kid in China , you'll be comfortable with your child telling lies and stealing ? And will even adjure him to do so because it is to promote the interest of the state and is good for business ? Right ?

If I was raised to believe that then why not. I we watching a program on TV last year where some men in Saudi Arabia were discussing the issue of women not driving and working. They were so empathic about it and they truly believed that women shouldn't drive and work because they were raised that way. They truly believed it was wrong for women to drive and work. Even some of the women believed it was wrong for them to drive and work outside the home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 4:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

Societal laws determine what is right and wrong

So dalaman , if your child were Canadian and you live in Canada , you will let your child have a sexual relationship with an animal -bestiality - simply because it is right in Canada . Right ?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

If I was raised to believe that then why not. I we watching a program on TV last year where some men in Saudi Arabia were discussing the issue of women not driving and working. They were so empathic about it and they truly believed that women shouldn't drive and work because they were raised that way. They truly believed it was wrong for women to drive and work. Even some of the women believed it was wrong for them to drive and work outside the home.

So if you agree that if you were raised to believe that and wouldnt stray from that belief why then do you believe that savage man taught himself morals when he had nothing else to compare it to?

Do u see why I said u are going round in circles?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

You are still missing the point entirely and going round in circles.

If homosexuality is acceptable in other places and not in others how did they arrive at each others conclussion?

They both want some form of order so why do they seek this yet defer in laws and acceptance of behaviour?

One feels his idea of right or wrong is better than the other but at the end of the day theg still have right and wrong in other areas independent of location. So how is it that they have moral ideals in the first place

There is no universal morality. It doesn't exist anywhere. People create moral systems for different reasons. There are different Gods, different religions, different cultures and different people. People have to chose and formulate which moral codes to live by. The same people also have to refine and change the same set of codes as they move on. No God is the source of human morality because there are different Gods and different religions.

3 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

There is no universal morality. It doesn't exist anywhere. People create moral systems for different reasons. There are different Gods, different religions, different cultures and different people. People have to chose and formulate which moral codes to live by. The same people also have to refine and change the same set of codes as they move on. No God is the source of human morality because there are different Gods and different religions.

I am not talking about a universal morality. Atheists do not believe in God or any god for that matter or even any higher power.

My question is why the interest in any form of morality at all even if there are different gods.
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

So if you agree that if you were raised to believe that and wouldnt stray from that belief why then do you believe that savage man taught himself morals when he had nothing else to compare it to?

Do u see why I said u are going round in circles?

The savage man was thought to change his ways by others. In some cases he thought himself. Let's take the issue of killing of twins that was practiced here in Nigeria by some tribes. When they invading slave traders came. They thought the people that were practicing it to stop it. In some cases they forced them to stop the practice. The Romans as they went about conquering the world made the people to accept the Roman way and culture which also includes their moral codes of conduct.

2 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

I am not talking about a universal morality. Atheists do not believe in God or any god for that matter or even any higher power.

My question is why the interest in any form of morality at all even if there are different gods.

So that you'll live in a less chaotic society.

3 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

The savage man was thought to change his ways by others. In some cases he thought himself. Let's take the issue of killing of twins that was practiced here in Nigeria by some tribes. When they invading slave traders came. They thought the people that were practicing it to stop it. In some cases they forced them to stop the practice. The Romans as they went about conquering the world made the people to accept the Roman way and culture which also includes their moral codes of conduct.

So if in one of the right ups you calldd romans savages and now you say they went about teaching people their own morality, how come the morality we have today isnt savage?
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

So that you'll live in a less chaotic society.

This takes me back to question one.

HOW DID MAN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHAOS AND ORDER?

If you say they taught themselves again then you are a liar
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

So dalaman , if your child were Canadian and you live in Canada , you will let your child have a sexual relationship with an animal -bestiality - simply because it is right in Canada . Right ?

I can't stop my child from practicing beastiality if he wants to assuming it is allowed in the society where we are living. You too can not force your own child not to do it because if he reports you the authority will punish you for infringing on his right. When slavery was Ok almost all the people owned slaves in America.

2 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

I need a response Dalaman . This is all scrutiny
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by dalaman: 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2016
4everGod1:

This takes me back to question one.

HOW DID MAN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHAOS AND ORDER?

If you say they taught themselves again then you are a liar

Because chaos and order had direct impact on man and his life. Ok who taught man the difference between chaos and order? Are you saying it's God ? If it is God then why don't all men see the same things as chaotic or order?

4 Likes

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:25pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

Because chaos and order had direct impact on man and his life. Ok who taught man the difference between chaos and order? Are you saying it's God ? If it is God then why don't all men see the same things as chaotic or order?

Again I never said God did. I only said the origin of morality isnt tangible, has no scientific proof yet everyone wants their own sense of morality....WHY?

Morality has nothing to do with chaos and order because their are chaotic placss who still have their own version of morality. So whg the quest for Morality in the first place.
Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2016
dalaman:

[size=20pt]I can't stop my child from practicing beastiality if he wants to assuming it is allowed in the society where we are living.[/size]

cc : winner01 , ireorony , UyiIredia , Ishilove , Scholar8200

Winner01 , we joked about this yesterday and this man said he'll allow his kid to go sleep with animals because the Canadian law says so .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Winner01 , we joked about this yesterday and this man said he'll allow his kid to go sleep with animals because the Canadian law says so .

Yet we Christians who abhor Beastiality and fight against it even when the law of the land supports it are the crazy ones.

I SALUTE ALL ATHEISTS FOR TAKING A STAND. NO NO NO FOR TAKING ANY STAND AT ALL. EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING IS ALLOWED.

Its possible HIV and AIDs began with an Atheist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by Scholar8200(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Well i am not surprised! Anything against God or His Word is fair for the theophobe!

1 Like

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by KingEbukaNaija: 4:35pm On Jul 08, 2016
Scholar8200:
Well i am not surprised! Anything against God or His Word is fair for the theophobe!

Mehn , Im still in shock . This is more of a confirmation of God's word

Romans 1:28

And so, since they did not see fit to acknowledge God or approve of Him or consider Him worth the knowing, God gave them over to a base and condemned mind to do things not proper or decent but loathsome .

Evil ! Tufiakwa !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Essay Causes Atheist To Seriously Question Beliefs by 4everGod1: 4:35pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

I am having a rib cracking moment here. Gosh so savages can teach themselves right from wrong but Atheists cannot.

What a way to go. Yaay for Atheism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When She Wants To Talk To You About Everything Else But Jesus / What Tithe Really Means / How Do People Become Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.