Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

A Fair-skinned Bride/partner - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / A Fair-skinned Bride/partner (6450 Views)

Am I Considered To Be Light Skinned Or Dark Skinned? / Who Is At Fault - The Groom, Bride Or The Side Chick? / Choose One: Dark Skinned Or Light Skinned (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by chic2pimp(m): 5:47am On Oct 02, 2009
^^^^^ Okiez, My Bad wink cool
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by sjeezy8: 6:23am On Oct 02, 2009
whats european features?

cause small noses/straighter hair and etc are also within african tribes.

I myself dont like big noses and such lol

and I dont like non african babes
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:17am On Oct 02, 2009
Interesting topic. . .

I've met guys who would prefer a dark skin chocolate beauty any day. . .while others would prefer a light skinned lady. . .

SO different strokes. . different folks. . .
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Eshyy(m): 7:45am On Oct 02, 2009
@ no2atheism

guy wat do you tink european mannerisms are lyk, who do ya tink are refered to as gents & ladies of the century. Don't confuse europe with Americas chek on ur map.
And as 4 shagin evry fair skin on skirt don't overate it am just appreciatin Gods f**king creations,I neva said I avoid dark chics, I bet i've gone down wit as much dark girls than u imagined am in Bayelsa 4 Godsake.
Finaly just Imagine a girl lyk halle berry walk past u?? Wats goin 2 b ur next action.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 02, 2009
Poster, you are beautiful just as you are. Bleached skin is ugly and will give you problems (Cancer, discoloration etc). I have noticed that light-skinned guys have less hangups about colour complexion and they tend to date darker girls. Im a darker skinned girl myself and I love my complexion, I get complimented everyday about my skin tone. Just work on your self esteem. Genevieve, Stephanie Okereke, Ini Edo and Mercy Johnson are the most sought out actresses in Nollywood and they are dark beauties. smiley

Also dark skin hides alot of flaws and tends to fair better agewise. Girl wear your dark skin with pride and if the guys dont want you, its their loss.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by justwise(m): 9:17am On Oct 02, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Poster, you are beautiful just as you are. Bleached skin is ugly and will give you problems (Cancer, discoloration etc). I have noticed that light-skinned guys have less hangups about colour complexion and they tend to date darker girls. Im a darker skinned girl myself and I love my complexion, I get complimented everyday about my skin tone. Just work on your self esteem. Genevieve, Stephanie Okereke, Ini Edo and Mercy Johnson are the most sought out actresses in Nollywood and they are dark beauties. smiley

yes i love ur skin tone, my compliment wink
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by na2day2(m): 9:21am On Oct 02, 2009
@ poster

it is called choice, u have a problem with that?
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by NYWM1(m): 9:24am On Oct 02, 2009
No2Atheism:

You are watching too much television and hanging out with brainwashed black men i guess.

Most black men that i know prefer african ladies with african features.
Some white men have the same preference.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Ben13: 9:39am On Oct 02, 2009
colour shouldn't be one of the specifications to look out for
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 02, 2009
justwise:

yes i love your skin tone, my compliment wink
Thanks babes smiley
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 02, 2009
NY_WM:

Some white men have the same preference.
I didnt want to be the one to say it but I think white men tend to appreciate darker beauties.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by drrionelli(m): 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2009
chic2pimp:

Nope. Many Black Men do see light skinned black women as the standard of beauty.
IF this is, indeed, the case, then let us consider that: 

1)  These men are missing out on true beauty, because true beauty goes far beyond physical traits.

2)  These men are so shallow that no self-respecting woman should want them.

3)  Where does it say that men determine the "standard" of beauty? 

Ladies, it sounds like a platitude, but your true beauty is not what's outside, but rather what is within.  Think about it:  Would you wish to receive an unwanted gift simply because it's wrapped in lovely paper, with exqusite ribbons and extravagant bows?  Or, would you rather receive a much wanted gift presented in plain paper?
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by africhika(f): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2009
^^ perfecto analogy!
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by drrionelli(m): 8:04pm On Oct 02, 2009
Thank you, africhika, for your kind and gracious words!

I don't wish to belabor this, but I do feel very passionately about it. Ladies, never let a man define what is beautiful with respect to you. You define your own beauty in your own terms. It is up to the man to accept it or not. If he does, then you have "made the connection." If he does not, then you're better off without him. It's a matter of self-respect. And when it comes to self-respect, never--I repeat, NEVER--lower your standards.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by chic2pimp(m): 4:15am On Oct 03, 2009
drrionelli:

2) These men are so shallow that no self-respecting woman should want them.

Or this Men could just may be Prefer Light skinned women. What's wrong in having a preference ehn? undecided

Ebonyeyes:

I think Light skinned blacks in General tend to have less hang ups about their colour complexion.

The funny thing about this subject matter is that my first experience of fairskin/dark skin thingy was from a woman who happens to be a close friend of mine. She refused to date a dude citing his very dark complexion as the main reason. In her words,I don't men who are darker than me.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by na2day2(m): 7:52am On Oct 03, 2009
chic2pimp:

Or this Men could just may be Prefer Light skinned women. What's wrong in having a preference ehn? undecided

thank u o jare, guys like him na hin dey create confusion in this world
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 03, 2009
chic2pimp:

The funny thing about this subject matter is that my first experience of fairskin/dark skin thingy was from a woman who happens to be a close friend of mine. She refused to date a dude citing his very dark complexion as the main reason. In her words,I don't men who are darker than me.

Im shocked I love dark men oh well more dark men for us grin
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by nene1: 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2009
@ na2day and chic2pimp

you are right there is nothing wrong with having a preference. but this light skin preference seems to be a MASS PREFERENCE among african and other black men. i find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that the vast majority or almost all african men seem to share this same preference for fair skin.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by GEW: 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2009
nene1:

@ na2day and chic2pimp

you are right there is nothing wrong with having a preference. but this light skin preference seems to be a MASS PREFERENCE among african and other black men. i find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that the vast [size=18pt]majority[/size] or almost all african men seem to share this same preference for fair skin.
you are sadly right.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Macgreat(m): 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2009
I LOVE MY FAIR BEAUTY PRETTY SEXY FIRE,

She's so fair and pretty some time i think am going to BURN just by touch but when i do i don't wanna stop! wink embarassed grin
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by drrionelli(m): 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2009
chic2pimp:

There is nothing wrong with having a preference.  Nor did I say, or even suggest, that there is. 

My point is that:  1) No man is "the" arbiter of what beauty should be, and 2) if something that is so unimportant as skin pigmentation is of such consequence to him that he should declare it to be the primary criterion for beauty, then he is surely misguided. 

To suggest that those who are dark-skinned are somehow less attractive than those who are light-skinned is the very thinking that has caused such divisiveness in countries like the US for centuries (and, yes, it still goes on today).
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 03, 2009
drrionelli:

There is nothing wrong with having a preference.  Nor did I say, or even suggest, that there is. 

My point is that:  1) No man is "the" arbiter of what beauty should be, and 2) if something that is so unimportant as skin pigmentation is of such consequence to him that he should declare it to be the primary criterion for beauty, then he is surely misguided. 

To suggest that those who are dark-skinned are somehow less attractive than those who are light-skinned is the very thinking that has caused such divisiveness in countries like the US for centuries (and, yes, it still goes on today).

Not only US even in our African countries we still have the "light skin is better" attitude.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by africhika(f): 12:08am On Oct 04, 2009
nene1, u need to see this thread:
help, my girlfriend is addicted to whitening products https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-332254.0.html
seriously, u don't want to bleach cool
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by chic2pimp(m): 2:54am On Oct 04, 2009
nene1:

@ na2day and chic2pimp

you are right there is nothing wrong with having a preference. but this light skin preference seems to be a MASS PREFERENCE among african and other black men. i find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that the vast majority or almost all african men seem to share this same preference for fair skin.
Well, It depends on who and what you call the vast majority. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

You might have a point had u said that in the majority of fairskin/darkskin relationship,the women are more likely to be the lightskinned partner. However,does this mean that the vast majority of black men prefer lightskinned women? Hell No.

drrionelli:

There is nothing wrong with having a preference. Nor did I say, or even suggest, that there is.

My point is that: 1) No man is "the" arbiter of what beauty should be, and 2) if something that is so unimportant as skin pigmentation is of such consequence to him that he should declare it to be the primary criterion for beauty, then he is surely misguided.

Great point wink cool.

drrionelli:

No one is saying dark skinned females are less attractive. My point is shouldn't men be allowed to choose who they would like to roll with, Be it light skinned or dark skinned?
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by drrionelli(m): 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2009
chic2pimp:

No one is saying dark skinned females are less attractive. My point is shouldn't men be allowed to choose who they would like to roll with, Be it light skinned or dark skinned?
Sure, by all means!  We al have preferences, whether we wish to admit to them or not.  We all have the freedom of choice in any of a number of ways with regard to any of a number of issues.  And more importantly, we should have that freedom of choice.  I, myself, tend to gravitate towards tall women, but height[i] is not [/i] and has not been a primary consideration on what I would base a relationship.

However, it seems to me that there exists a contingency of people who are, indeed, saying that dark-skinned females are less attractive, if for no other reason than their skin colour.  As I see it, that's the whole crux of this thread.  If skin colour would be a main determinant in whether a relationship happens or not, then it seems to me a bit unfortunate that such a thing could not be put into better perspective.  After all, skin colour is something that is, for the most part, unchangeable. 

Incidentally, chic2pimp, I appreciate your insight on this and, believe me, your points are well taken.  I also appreciate your taking time to examine what is really being said by those who are posting on this topic.  In fact:
chic2pimp:

Well, It depends on who and what you call the vast majority. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

You might have a point had u said that in the majority of fairskin/darkskin relationship,the women are more likely to be the lightskinned partner. However,does this mean that the vast majority of black men prefer lightskinned women? Hell No.
You hit the bull's eye with this comment!  I must think that this topic is based upon anecdotal observations rather than empirical fact.  Being so makes the issue no less real or troublesome to those observing (and affected by) it, but being so also makes it very difficult to qualify and so that it can be addressed, wouldn't you agree?
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2009
I think the general conclusion is that you are not ugly because you are dark skinned or prettier if you are lighter skinned. If you have pretty features, you are beautiful regardless of the colour of your skin.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by drrionelli(m): 1:12pm On Oct 04, 2009
You're exactly right, Ebonyeyes!
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by nene1: 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2009
chic2pimp:

Great point wink cool.

Of course they should. I'm not saying that men should not be allowed to choose their women or not choose women fairer than them. However a lot of them are sending out the message that light skinned females are more attractive than dark skinned females. If this were not true, then dark skinned girls would not feel the need to bleach. If it was simply just a preference and not an ingrained mentality than I don't think men's "preferences" for lighter women would be such a big issue."  Although you make other valid points, I still stick to my assertion that the MAJORITY of black men prefer lighter females. Just because a man is with a dark skinned female does not mean that he does not have the belief that lighter is better. Like I said in my first post, I know a man who personally buys bleaching creams for his dark skinned wife. Also there are many men who see their wives bleaching, but don't say anything, because they want their wives to bleach and look lighter. I'm sure if african men had more chances to date and marry women of other ethnicities like arab women for example they certainly would. I use them b/c most of their men don't allow them to marry black men no matter what religion he is. But if other races like them were more willing to allow their daughters to be with black men such as arabs and indians, then many more african men would opt for these women. I'm sure many of them find them more attractive than black women. That is why whenver they become very successful and wealthy they opt to date women of other races with lighter hues since NOW those women's families would not mind them being with a black man.

So basically a lot of black men with dark skinned women (NOT ALL) would opt for a lighter woman if they had the chance (i.e. they were more successful and wealthy). That is why lighter women tend to get more successful men. That is why I still stick to the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of african and black men prefer lighter women.  It doesn't mean that every african guy who finds light skinned women more attractive is going to get one.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 04, 2009
nene1:

Of course they should. I'm not saying that men should not be allowed to choose their women or not choose women fairer than them. However a lot of them are sending out the message that light skinned females are more attractive than dark skinned females. If this were not true, then dark skinned girls would not feel the need to bleach. If it was simply just a preference and not an ingrained mentality than I don't think men's "preferences" for lighter women would be such a big issue." Although you make other valid points, I still stick to my assertion that the MAJORITY of black men prefer lighter females. Just because a man is with a dark skinned female does not mean that he does not have the belief that lighter is better. Like I said in my first post, I know a man who personally buys bleaching creams for his dark skinned wife. Also there are many men who see their wives bleaching, but don't say anything, because they want their wives to bleach and look lighter. I'm sure if african men had more chances to date and marry women of other ethnicities like arab women for example. I use them b/c most of their men don't allow them to marry black men no matter what religion he is. But if other races were more willing to allow their daughters to be with black men such as arabs and indians, then many more african men would opt for these women. I'm sure many of them would find them more attractive than black women. That is why whenver they become very successful and wealthy they opt to date women of other races with lighter hues since NOW those women's families would not mind them being with a black man.

So basically a lot of black men with dark skinned women (NOT ALL) would opt for a lighter woman if they had the chance (i.e. they were more successful and wealthy). That is why lighter women tend to get more successful men. That is why I still stick to the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of african and black men prefer lighter women. It doesn't mean that every african guy who find light skinned women more attractive is going to get one.

I cant disagree with all the points you have raised you are absolutely right. The black race is still suffering from the effects of slavery and colonization. May God help us.

P.S. Dont bleach you skin you are beautiful just as you are and if these men cant see it then its their loss. smiley
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by oyinda3(f): 3:47pm On Oct 04, 2009
Sure, by all means!  We al have preferences, whether we wish to admit to them or not.  We all have the freedom of choice in any of a number of ways with regard to any of a number of issues.  And more importantly, we should have that freedom of choice.  I, myself, tend to gravitate towards tall women, but height is not  and has not been a primary consideration on what I would base a relationship.

drrionelli,
you don't get the point do you  
we all have freedom of choice yes. duh  the point isn't about changing the freedom of choice. the point is about influencing how you make that choice.

you are making a height comparison. well on average men prefer women shorter than them. but also, on average, men have different heights so logically, one man's idea of shorter will be different from the next guy's.
your idea of tall for example will be different from your friend who is taller or shorter than you.
a tall guy will tend to be with a taller girl etc. with skin tone on the other hand, idea of light skin and dark skin ISN'T relative or differ from man to man.
the definition of light skin or dark skin isn't arbitrary as a matter of fact, there is a general consensus on what qualifies as light skin (rita dominic, beyonce etc) or dark skin (genevieve, jackie appiah etc).
and most men from pitch black to average black tend to prefer (what is generally classified as) light skin. not what is light skin relative to their own shade.

if you compared this to height (like you're trying to do), people will call it a fetish. it is not normal for a 5'10 guy to "prefer" a 6'5 girl. but it is very normal for a pitch black guy to prefer beyonce's shade. that is the norm and that is what the OP is referring to.

this type of overwhelming "preference" for light skin isn't natural, even though you are indeed free to choose what you want.

of course you won't base a relationship on your preference. but you will tend to pick your partner based on those preferences. that's why many african women bleach. and of course they will be bright and glowing for the first few years after they start bleaching and will attract many men. the ugly effects show up only a little bit later.

but this isn't just for african men though. they have the same problems in india. all their bollywood stars are fairer and most of their women consume lightening/bleaching products.
coincidence that most of africa and india are former european colonies.  undecided

so the point is about influencing your preference. maybe if there is a different idea of what is considered beautiful, this unnatural preference will disappear.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 04, 2009
oyinda.:

drrionelli,
we all have freedom of choice yes. duh  the point isn't about changing the freedom of choice. the point is about influencing how you make that choice.

you are making a height comparison. well on average men prefer women shorter than them. but also, on average, men have different heights so logically, one man's idea of shorter will be different from the next guy's.
your idea of tall for example will be different from your friend who is taller or shorter than you.
a tall guy will tend to be with a taller girl etc. with skin tone on the other hand, idea of light skin and dark skin ISN'T relative or differ from man to man.
the definition of light skin or dark skin isn't arbitrary as a matter of fact, there is a general consensus on what qualifies as light skin (rita dominic, beyonce etc) or dark skin (genevieve, jackie appiah etc).
and most men from pitch black to average black tend to prefer (what is generally classified as) light skin. not what is light skin relative to their own shade.

if you compared this to height (like you're trying to do), people will call it a fetish. it is not normal for a 5'10 guy to "prefer" a 6'5 girl. but it is very normal for a pitch black guy to prefer beyonce's shade. that is the norm and that is what the OP is referring to.

this type of overwhelming "preference" for light skin isn't natural, even though you are indeed free to choose what you want.

of course you won't base a relationship on your preference. but you will tend to pick your partner based on those preferences. that's why many african women bleach. and of course they will be bright and glowing for the first few years after they start bleaching and will attract many men. the ugly effects show up only a little bit later.

but this isn't just for african men though. they have the same problems in india. all their bollywood stars are fairer and most of their women consume lightening/bleaching products.
coincidence that most of africa and india are former european colonies.  undecided

so the point is about influencing your preference. maybe if there is a different idea of what is considered beautiful, this unnatural preference will disappear.

Very well put together. Most countries that have been colonised by the west have this "light is better" mentality.
Re: A Fair-skinned Bride/partner by No2Atheism(m): 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2009
oyinda.:

drrionelli,

@oyinda

it is not a coincidence . . . it is part of the effects of brainwashing, hence my own personal intention to make sure i have detoxicated a lot of the brainwashing from my system before i even start thinking of marriage.

Cus the truth is that its difficult for parents to teach a child what they themselves do not know or believe.

Its unfortunate, however being bombarded with imagery on television is part of the reason for the fair skinned preference of most black people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help, MY COUSIN Is Killing Me!! / How Can I Do Valentine With My Babe With N5000? Help! / Grace, The House Girl Home Alone With Papa Kolade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.