Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? (39730 Views)

Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible" / Governor Ikpeazu In Arm Wrestling With A Chinese Investor In Abia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by LorDBolton(m): 8:47pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

Gun ownership in nigeria will go a long way in inducing common sense into empty skulls like yourself

Oga any small quarrel neighbours dey use cutlass / bottle butcher themselves you want to now legalise gunz? Lol
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by babyfaceafrica: 8:48pm On Aug 29, 2016
carmag:

madam why you come de joke for here now while people are seriously looking how to protect their environment when the needs arises, that's why the reasoning of men and women differs
no mind all these telemundo ladies
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by vickylala239: 8:49pm On Aug 29, 2016
carmag:

madam why you come de joke for here now while people are seriously looking how to protect their environment when the needs arises, that's why the reasoning of men and women differs

To b Frank wit u guys...u guys shuld 4gt abt guns.....

U guys Dnt Hv d hrt,Dat northerners has....

As for fulaniherds, dey will kill n u guys will still do noting only noise....

Dats Was wat happen before herds men entered igboland ...igbos were busy ranting, Dat if dey near deir land dey will see war.....does guys kill n igbos were all over media n social media as in the killing was done in social media.... infact they help d fulaniherds Dat killed their brothers find their cows,so as to avoid more attacks

I remember during election wen northerners were busying burning churches, u guys were busying pushing out threat....

Same tin during boko haram....

Nw u guys r here again talking abt arms....

Now biafra is under carpet.....I pity u guys
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by vickylala239: 8:57pm On Aug 29, 2016
dyydxx:

The fact that it is illegal doesn't mean accurate information shouldn't be cherished, or one shouldn't have accurate facts on legalities, loopholes or even potential illegalities. Everything is not for fun, especially for thinking people. If you still don't understand that then you are truly ignorant

Let me ask...Wat r u learning abt guns...

Is it d types of guns or how to shoot on social media....

Or is abt d illegal arms....

To Wat extent will d knowledge of illegal arms help u as a civilian
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Kaycee625(m): 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

A shotgun having more effective range than an assault rifle?

An AK has an effective range of 800m. That means it can kill you at 800m.

Shotgun is meant for close quarters and has a much lower effective range.

Other than buck shots, cartridge shells have very limited damage from 20yards.

Guy delete this nonsense now.
Lies!!! Ak 47 effective range is 200m, maximum range is 500m
Tavour has effective range of 1km,maximum range 1.5km,dats the new guns the military is using against boko haram
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by dickoflife(m): 9:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
Nice write up. I am familiar with the AK but not the shot gun and a couple of times have been in possession of the Tavir (belgian model). It is quite painful that shooting ranges are scarce to practise in the motherland..
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by xtervaganza(m): 9:10pm On Aug 29, 2016
If you live an area prone to criminals like those cow brained bastards just buy yourself a very big gun(legal or illegal)

Whenever you see a thief or uninvited bastard like those cow brained just kill him and then tell police you wrestled the gun from him.

So far you're alive, you've done the right thing
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
omolola15:

Bros I see the humor in your post. But you are so wrong with your analysis. You clearly don't know much about gun. Let me call someone to come and educate you. Freeezzz where are you. I need you to come and talk about GUYS.

I hope he is not in sambisa now shooting down Boko. grin grin
Maybe, maybe not.
But, one bullet is all that an assailant requires to go down. One too to blind him.
Listening to you dudes one will think that a pump action or slide action rifle is akin to a Dane gun.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by rafcrown(m): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2016
NIGERIANS MUST BE PROTECTED.OR WE PROTECT OURSELVES.
ONE MAN,ONE GUN.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by nkemjacob2(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
If u live in the north, i will advice u get a gun. "a most"
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by rouge007: 9:28pm On Aug 29, 2016
SlayerSupreme:

Chaiiiiiiiii

Na real chaiyayaiiiiiiiiiii
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Buhari4dullard: 9:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
[size=14pt]Has anybody noticed that only the Fulani People can own AK-47s and they never get arrested [/size]
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 29, 2016
vickylala239:

To b Frank wit u guys...u guys shuld 4gt abt guns.....

U guys Dnt Hv d hrt,Dat northerners has....

As for fulaniherds, dey will kill n u guys will still do noting only noise....

Dats Was wat happen before herds men entered igboland ...igbos were busy ranting, Dat if dey near deir land dey will see war.....does guys kill n igbos were all over media n social media as in the killing was done in social media.... infact they help d fulaniherds Dat killed their brothers find their cows,so as to avoid more attacks

I remember during election wen northerners were busying burning churches, u guys were busying pushing out threat....

Same tin during boko haram....

Nw u guys r here again talking abt arms....

Now biafra is under carpet.....I pity u guys

madam i don't dabble on every available threads hence this one is specifically for serious minded guys
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by khadaffi(m): 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
planetx:
Only someone that doesn't know the amount of damage done in a country like the US where almost every Tom dick and harry owns a gun will be advocating that sort of madness in Nigeria. I see people exchanging hot words on the streets of Lagos on a daily basis and you want to put firearms in that equation ? All we need is to empower the police and make them effective, American gun culture is nothing to emulate.

To be frank there is no way the nigeria of today can equip the police to be effective. What we need is a policy that can stabilize the security in the land. We need the gun law amended in this country. A situation where someone purchase a weapon from our neighboring country and crosses the border (we have no border), and use it in holding people hostage simply because our govt does not permit gun for its citizens.

Now if citizens were allowed to own guns I can tell you boko haram wouldn't have been able to seize that large area of land and the amount of IDP would have been less. Even in Libya before the death of Gadaffi, allowed it citizens to own guns.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 10:10pm On Aug 29, 2016
claremont:

This is incorrect. There is no military school that teaches people that the accuracy of the AK-47 is 100 yards, neither can the shotgun be effective for 300-400 yards like you said. I don't think you know anything about weapons, I'm keen to know where you read up these statistics from?
A pump action Remington gun can shoot pellets up to 400 yards bro depending on the size of shot! I don't know where you guys read your own stuff!
I never said its accuracy is 400 yards.
And I also never said the maximum range of the AK is 100 yards. Maybe if you guys left the textbook and entered real life and real combat then you'd know the AK isn't designed for accuracy and also that it is quite difficult for an insurgent shooting an AK under battle conditions to maintain accuracy beyond 100yrds!
I am well versed with the text book version of the effective and max ranges, bench rest accuracy blah blah blah, but like the GIs used to say, Iraqis firing the AK couldn't hit the broadside of a barn!
Maybe you should see these links and listen to real life users and not textbook users.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=90499

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=127006
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Africanpride123(m): 10:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
Members let us not digress...this personasked a pertinent question in view of the ssecurity situation in the countrynnow. My take; do not ttryrtobe more honest than even the law makers, look for any contact with security agents especially police. You can get a semi-autimatic pump action rifle between 100 to 200k. With license.

Better have, use it to save tour life in case of an issue at home, and then spend a few thousands to sort yourself out with the police later when u have scared away the robbers /herdsmen, than not own it and witness a near death embarasment in the hands of robbers at home.

The earlier the better!

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Africanpride123(m): 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2016
Members let us not digress...this personasked a pertinent question in view of the ssecurity situation in the countrynnow. My take; do not ttryrtobe more honest than even the law makers, look for any contact with security agents especially police. You can get a semi-autimatic pump action rifle between 100 to 200k. With license.

Better have, use it to save your life in case of an issue at home, and then spend a few thousands to sort yourself out with the police later when u have scared away the robbers /herdsmen, than not own it and witness a near death embarasment in the hands of robbers at home.

The earlier the better!
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2016
yjgm:

AK47 effective range is 400m not 100 pls. Correct that assertion
Bros have you really used the AK47 in combat and how accurately did it perform under real action and not a shooting range or training scenario?

I am waiting for your answer and pls don't come back with what a textbook said.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
Africanpride123:

Better have, use it to save tour life in case of an issue at home, and then spend a few thousands to sort yourself out with the police later when u have scared away the robbers /herdsmen, than not own it and witness a near death embarasment in the hands of robbers at home.

The earlier the better!
Bros God go bless you more starting from tonight.
Leave them make dem dey argue instead of looking for ways to arm up and man up to some useless bloodthirsty idiotas!

Any nonsense that comes sniffing around my hood will have a third nose at the back of his head. Do anyhow, see anyhow.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by sukkot: 10:23pm On Aug 29, 2016
lordkhalifa:
already own a double barrel and Dane gun... but the way things are going I need to be more sophisticated and always on alert and look out for Fulani murderers... don't want to be taken unaware, please is there a way to lay my hands on AK47
Post picture bro
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by khadaffi(m): 10:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
Pylony:
so one have to be a hunter to own fire-arm?

That's the painful part. Nigeria law does not recognize gun for protection of property. So you are not allowed to move with it. You have to be a hunter to own one or you can lie you are one just to get a license. Plus. those nonsense guns are what is permitted. What I see is that this is just a way of keeping the masses in check. Our elites are always afraid and they have guns regardless of what the law says.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Drigdee(m): 10:38pm On Aug 29, 2016
GBTYO:

Rely on your Osun juju and leave me with my Fostech Origin 12

God, see Maachinne
I need one of those.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
Kaycee625:

Lies!!! Ak 47 effective range is 200m, maximum range is 500m
Tavour has effective range of 1km,maximum range 1.5km,dats the new guns the military is using against boko haram
A47 is overrated, I'd pick AR15 simi automatic riffle or tavor x95 be that heavyly, ugly ak47.

AR15 has maximum effective range of 3600m or 3.6km
And 30% more accurate than useless AK47.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Mariojane(f): 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.
your comment and your name re very scary
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 10:53pm On Aug 29, 2016
A47 is overrated, I'd pick AR15 simi automatic riffle or tavor x95 than that heavy and ugly ak47.

AR15 has maximum range of 3600m or 3.6km

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by claremont(m): 11:08pm On Aug 29, 2016
papaejima1:

A pump action Remington gun can shoot pellets up to 400 yards bro depending on the size of shot! I don't know where you guys read your own stuff!
I never said its accuracy is 400 yards.
And I also never said the maximum range of the AK is 100 yards. Maybe if you guys left the textbook and entered real life and real combat then you'd know the AK isn't designed for accuracy and also that it is quite difficult for an insurgent shooting an AK under battle conditions to maintain accuracy beyond 100yrds!
I am well versed with the text book version of the effective and max ranges, bench rest accuracy blah blah blah, but like the GIs used to say, Iraqis firing the AK couldn't hit the broadside of a barn!
Maybe you should see these links and listen to real life users and not textbook users.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=90499

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=127006

Hahaha cheesy. Some of the people who quoted your erroneous comment are serving or veterans of some of the best Armies in the world, some of them have trained recruits on different weapon systems. You just google up stuff from dodgy websites that you know absolutely nothing about. My last comment on this.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by claremont(m): 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2016
Thisnut:
A47 is overrated, I'd pick AR15 simi automatic riffle or tavor x95 than that heavy and ugly ak47.

AR15 has maximum effective range of 3600m or 3.6km

Do you know what you are saying?!
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by ethereal(f): 11:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
Typical nairaland scenario.. Every one digresses from the issues raised, no one profers a viable solutions and rather, resort to arguments and e - pinch fight!!! The spate of insecurity in Nigeria is alarming, and i am serious about this gun thingy, i know how much i spend to cater to my dogs on daily basis..

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 11:45pm On Aug 29, 2016
claremont:

Do you know what you are saying?!
this is not google search, i have one myself bro. AR15 is a beast . it's is a civilian version of M4 which is the US military riffle
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by claremont(m): 11:56pm On Aug 29, 2016
Thisnut:
this is not google search, i have one myself bro. AR15 is a beast . it's is a civilian version of M4 which is the US military riffle

You are saying that the effective range is 3.6km?! The M4 hasn't got an effective range of even 1km, which is why I asked if you know what you are saying?! In a previous life, I was in the military, so I should know a bit of this really. I'm guessing that after a few years of my exit, weapon systems designed for an effective range of 500m have automatically acquired an effective range of 3.6km? I'm not very conversant with the American military weapon systems, but I know damn well that the bog-standard military rifle has an effective range of no more than 500m.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 12:09am On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

You are saying that the effective range is 3.6km?! The M4 hasn't got an effective range of even 1km, which is why I asked if you know what you are saying?! In a previous life, I was in the military, so I should know a bit of this really.
sleep of mind bro.
i mean Maximum range, not Maximum effective range.

Maximum Effective Range (Point Target 500 meters
Maximum Effective Range (Area Targets) 600 meters
Maximum Range 3600 meters
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by claremont(m): 12:16am On Aug 30, 2016
Thisnut:
sleep of mind bro.
i mean Maximum range, not Maximum effective range.

Maximum Effective Range (Point Target 500 meters
Maximum Effective Range (Area Targets) 600 meters
Maximum Range 3600 meters

My point is this- The effective range of the rifle you love so much is similar to that of the AK-47 you despise. The ''maximum range'' means absolutely nothing because it cannot kill/injure a target at that range.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road / APC Chairman Oshiomhole Meets Galadima, R-APC Chairman (Photos) / Nimbo Massacre: I Recorded Killing To Show My People Our Success –suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.