Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women (16674 Views)

**Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** / Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives / Are Men Obsessed With 'Plenty Of Fish In The Sea' Idea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by asunaobi(m): 10:24pm On Nov 06, 2009
Please my brothers and sisters, can somebody define a 'successful woman' to me. I am totally lost here, maybe because I attended night school. People like me who attended night schools see life a little bit differently.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by bawomolo(m): 10:28pm On Nov 06, 2009
kokoye:

If you get a derogatory / disrespectful answer, then you are in the wrong relationship. Move on

you are speaking the truth. I don't know why people persevere in abusive relationships.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Uche2nna(m): 10:29pm On Nov 06, 2009
samaiin:

Depends on what you classified as a successful women. The percentage of successful women with attitude problem[s] is 98.9%. It is rational for a man to deal with such women with caution.

LOL

The attitude problem of most successful women is[i] mostly [/i] some form of defensive mechanism in a man's world. I can condone that.

The one wey I no fit understand na the shuegbes with nothing but still dey claim divas  angry
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by axeman85(m): 10:46pm On Nov 06, 2009
The day we nigerians decide to change our mentality and manner of approach towards things and life that day nigeria will get better.

agreed money and success is a demon that can make the most humble person start misbehaving. it all depends on the mindset of the individuals involved. as men and women born and raised in naija, we have a different mentality and approach to matters of success, that mostly a high percentage of men see successful women as proud and arrogant and pompous and that scares alot of men away from women like that because they feel they cant measure up to the women.

personally if my fiancee gets more successful than i am i will support her 100% because if she is successful it is my joy and at least she will be assisting me when necessary and also it also keep me also as a man on my toes to strive hard and also work very hard. infact sometimes when she is telling me about how busy she is at work i always ask her to keep pressuring them at work to give her a promotion and increase her pay.

what am trying to say is a successful woman shouldnt make a man get intimidated at all. but i can understand if the woman start allowing her success to get to her head then she should be called to order but intimidation is NOT ACCEPTED. grin
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by kokoye(m): 10:47pm On Nov 06, 2009
bawomolo:

If you get a derogatory / disrespectful answer, then you are in the wrong relationship. Move on . . . I don't know why people persevere in abusive relationships.

Right on.

With regards to this thread, what I now cannot stand is some people blaming such a break-up (as we stated above) on the fact the guy cannot handle a strong successful woman.

It's not because you are successful or strong - both good qualities.

The other party left because your attitude stinks!
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by kokoye(m): 10:48pm On Nov 06, 2009
A lot of people use the 'strong black successful' phrase as a reason for a break-up . . . that pisses me off. anybody seen Roscoe Jenkins?
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Uche2nna(m): 10:51pm On Nov 06, 2009
kokoye:

A lot of people use the 'strong black successful' phrase as a reason for a break-up and that pisses me off.

Most times it is used as an excuse to be just plain rude and obnoxious.

It goes hand in hand with "I'm a grown woman" as if that was under any kind of dispute
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by CHANCEMAN: 11:14pm On Nov 06, 2009
The problem here is how we define success.Success has been narrowed down to being measured only in financial terms.Success encompasses more than that.Look at our country Nigeria ,She makes more money that say Ghana but relatively most people feel Ghana is doing better.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Princek12(m): 11:44pm On Nov 06, 2009
All these argument sef. If a woman is too successful to submit to a man she has several options: (1) stay single like Oprah and get a Love Machine to help your self out; or (2) become a lesbian; (3) or find a gay ass man you can control and stump over; or (4) be by your Gad damn self. Shikenah!
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Tanzos: 11:48pm On Nov 06, 2009
[b]If you get a derogatory / disrespectful answer, then you are in the wrong relationship. Move on . . . I don't know why people perse[/b]vere in abusive relationships.

What if she says nothing?
Tried this once she took four days to get back to me, but all along even before she asks like the normal Naija man i try to give to her as expected and the day she asks even before the statements over im already running to the ATM.
Im not goin to judge her for this though, guess theyre just wired differently.

Asked a female colleague about this also and she was like WTF, how could i ask her? blah blah(my brain kinda switched off @that point)
i think she got the point though when after i didnt ask her for a while she now started askin if i didnt need it anymore after four days!
Murder!
ive sha laughed over the matter but can you imagine if she was more loaded than i was?
I think this is a good litmus test,if she acts like my babe, join me in praying to God that you should always have the fatter wallet at all times.
If not then i guess she deserves to be prayed for increment in wallet size.
Maybe its one of those how she was brought up things, who knows?
My own is make God no let am get money pass me or even worse find mind myself in a situation where i would be dependent on her, ausubillahi (and dont even go bringing religion into this one, it was just an appropriate expression at that point!)
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Tanzos: 11:55pm On Nov 06, 2009
Those asking for definition/meaning/explanation of successful woman.
In this case i believe we all are talking about women making more money.
Its not the total standard of successful but in this context, its wallet size were dealing with abi poster?
so please lets get back to the issue at hand.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by shhhine(m): 12:33am On Nov 07, 2009
I think it is becose of the status quo in this part of the world (Africa). The no of successful women in this part of the world is not as high as the west, therefore, the succesful ones thinks she is special and has maybe two heads or some sort, she develops some sort of ego which she brings home either (knowingly or unknowingly). It really takes God to stop success from getting into our (male and female) heads. From my experience, Female bosses are more trouble, they want to show you they are not push overs but instead they push you all over the place. Please note this is just from my lil experience. I have also come across quite successful and humble women that I wish I was their Man.

A lot of women are not ready to take the bullshit Guys take on a regular basis but are willing to take all the benefit that comes wiv the bullshit without looking back
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by moonraker(m): 2:25am On Nov 07, 2009
Nope,

its actually a good thingy that a woman is successful,

that way, the guy is motivated to get more outta life,
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by CyberG: 2:32am On Nov 07, 2009
Lots of STUPID comments from women who have LOST (or, in the process of losing) the dating, relationship or marriage game! Life must suck for y'all so bad to come over here and stand logic on its head!

How can your "success" be the "bad" thing that makes men afraid of you? Think about it and see that is really a foolish suggestion to attribute your failed attempts at having a husband / boyfriend to such ridiculousness. As for me (and for most >= "normal" guys) your "success" is only an addition to OUR success (in a relationship) as I am not only successful but have been successful for a long time (before we met). I am NOT OLD so this has got nothing to do with age.

The poster giving "examples" should realize that her examples are not definitive of all possibilities as everyone's life experience is different. If a guy likes/loves you enough, the last thing on his mind is your bank account, material wealth or your so called "success". So, get yourself a real guy otherwise, marry your "success", adopt children and give us a break to deal with more objective viewpoints about issues of life.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by samnaija: 6:25am On Nov 07, 2009
CyberG:

Lots of STUPID comments from women who have LOST (or, in the process of losing) the dating, relationship or marriage game! Life must suck for y'all so bad to come over here and stand logic on its head!

How can your "success" be the "bad" thing that makes men afraid of you? Think about it and see that is really a foolish suggestion to attribute your failed attempts at having a husband / boyfriend to such ridiculousness. As for me (and for most >= "normal" guys) your "success" is only an addition to OUR success (in a relationship) as I am not only successful but have been successful for a long time (before we met). I am NOT OLD so this has got nothing to do with age.

The poster giving "examples" should realize that her examples are not definitive of all possibilities as everyone's life experience is different. If a guy likes/loves you enough, the last thing on his mind is your bank account, material wealth or your so called "success". So, get yourself a real guy otherwise, marry your "success", adopt children and give us a break to deal with more objective viewpoints about issues of life.

i totally agree, most women that have nothing to pinpoint their lack or empty, dry relationship always end up sayin such things, its because i am successful they run away. men dont give a shit, but where a man finds out another person wants to be wearing the same trouser in a relationship then there is a problem. most independent women become pompous and arrogant, that is the way independent men also behave. but the only difference between independent men and women is the man naturally knows how to intereact with the society and his sucess and doesnt need nairaland to tell him what do, but an independent women she is clueless, she finds out that the shoe she is wearing is big she is not used 2 it, so she tries her best 2 fit into society but ends up ruining her relationship then comes 2 nairaland for affirmation. it takes a very matured woman in any organisation, that is wealthy or independent not 2 come of rude to the the general public, this kind of women rule, people flock around them, i emphasise matured!!!, but the immature ones end up being rude easily irritably and believes she can get anything she wants by demanding, my point is are u really succesful poster, sucess involves alot of things not only financial gratification, but also involves spiritual happiness, emotional happiness, physical well being and so on , when uve balanced all then you can be classified as succesful, its an art that most men naturally know how to do, like i said b4 only a afew matured women know how 2 balance everything and still hold onto thier relationship.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by omar22(m): 8:15am On Nov 07, 2009
i totally agree, most women that have nothing to pinpoint their lack or empty, dry relationship always end up sayin such things, its because i am successful they run away. men dont give a shit, but where a man finds out another person wants to be wearing the same trouser in a relationship then there is a problem. most independent women become pompous and arrogant, that is the way independent men also behave. but the only difference between independent men and women is the man naturally knows how to intereact with the society and his sucess and doesnt need nairaland to tell him what do, but an independent women she is clueless, she finds out that the shoe she is wearing is big she is not used 2 it, so she tries her best 2 fit into society but ends up ruining her relationship then comes 2 nairaland for affirmation. it takes a very matured woman in any organisation, that is wealthy or independent not 2 come of rude to the the general public, this kind of women rule, people flock around them, i emphasise matured!!!, but the immature ones end up being rude easily irritably and believes she can get anything she wants by demanding, my point is are u really succesful poster, sucess involves alot of things not only financial gratification, but also involves spiritual happiness, emotional happiness, physical well being and so on , when uve balanced all then you can be classified as succesful, its an art that most men naturally know how to do, like i said b4 only a afew matured women know how 2 balance everything and still hold onto thier relationship.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Jaylone(m): 8:55am On Nov 07, 2009
Uche2nna:

The attitude problem of most successful women is[i] mostly [/i] some form of defensive mechanism in a man's world. I can condone that.

grin grin grin defensive mechanism against what grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by agitator: 8:59am On Nov 07, 2009
dakkylove:

for the few who are still thinking like Cave men, wake up and realize that a Bad woman is a bad woman, irrespective of if she has some form of success or not, that hard working, intelligent woman might make the difference when the recession h its you hard.

And you wonder why men avoid successful women like you. Hope you have not been using these kind of expressions with your guys - may be that's why they are avoiding you like plague

saintade01:

I think the poster or anyone who found herelf 'always' in this situation should check theirselves very well for the problem and you will surely find the solution in this same men you said are afraid.

You (poster) have displayed some of your traits here with your responses even as some of the post are nonsense.

Accurate to the point. She thinks because she is successful men should worship her.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by AmaG2(m): 9:53am On Nov 07, 2009
i agree with you and that act is very common with Nigerian guys of today, am sorry to say, abroad no matter how successful a woman might be a guy can still work up to her and express his feelings.
In the other hand Women also have there own flaws because as a successful woman you tend to think that every1 coming to you is coming for a favour or something good from you.

As for me am not afraid of any woman be you Governor, president's daughter e.t.c.

God bless you
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by dakkylove(f): 10:10am On Nov 07, 2009
interesting view points from some and unfortunate comments from others, but at the end of the day i'm glad this post got some people thinking.
hopefully everybody will learn one or two from the mature posts here. especially the post from a guy who said he was very proud of his wife,she had nothing when she met him and now she is very rich but she is still the same person.

for some people who say women think like this because they are single and cannot get a man, FYI i am in a very happy relationship wiith a man who has nothing but love and respect for me. i just like 2 share opinions.

this life is a journey that we will all enjoy when you find that person that can encourage you to be better in life. don't try and kill anyone's dream because of jealousy, regardless of the sex of a person, anybody can be God's vessel to bless a family.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by sexyLeamon(f): 10:19am On Nov 07, 2009
only a lazy man would be afraid of a successful woman.any mature guy, who knows what he want and is worth your time isn't afraid of your success.
I do think though, that when anyone, man or woman, flaunts their success, it's a big turn-off. Humility is hot.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by agitator: 10:19am On Nov 07, 2009
dakkylove:

interesting view points from some and unfortunate comments from others, but at the end of the day i'm glad this post got some people thinking.
hopefully everybody will learn one or two from the mature posts here. especially the post from a guy who said he was very proud of his wife,she had nothing when she met him and now she is very rich but she is still the same person.

for some people who say women think like this because they are single and cannot get a man, FYI i am in a very happy relationship wiith a man who has nothing but love and respect for me. i just like 2 share opinions.

this life is a journey that we will all enjoy when you find that person that can encourage you to be better in life. don't try and kill anyone's dream because of jealousy, regardless of the sex of a person, anybody can be God's vessel to bless a family.

When you can't even tolerate opinion of people who you don't know, talkless of somebody with you that you are more successful than. undecided
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by AmaG2(m): 10:35am On Nov 07, 2009
@sexy leamon
I agree with you please let them know, afterall they are not God
and the most bitter part is that they were made from our own body,
Men guys please dont mess up.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by AjanleKoko: 11:03am On Nov 07, 2009
Hmmm. . . for AjanleKoko, this is a post in unfamiliar territory. . . spare me please!

Firstly, I'm tempted to think the problem is a Nigerian or African one . . . generally both the man and the woman are not mature enough to handle such situations. The man can't help feeling inferior because of his ego, and the woman (yes, varium et mutabile semper femina!) is easily carried away by external influences, and as such may inadvertently make the man feel inferior. But it's really a social values thing. We seem to harp a lot on success in these parts, and judge people by the size of their possessions nine times out of ten. Heck, Nigerian people even brag about how intelligent they are to other Nigerian people, sometimes even online, where everyone's anonymous.

But I strongly suspect that black people globally, being relatively on the back foot in most parts, are socially less confident than their caucasian peers. This may sound racist and demeaning, but after all I am a black man. I'm not sure financial success is as big a social issue for other races as it is for Negroes.

Look how many rappers sing about 'oh I got a wardrobe full of clothes I aint even worn yet'. I don't think I ever heard any rock star singing about how much money they have or how many girls they can score. Mostly they sing about killing themselves or something, even though they sell quadruple platinum!
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by ladej(m): 11:07am On Nov 07, 2009
im happy this post came up and im ready to lend my thoughts to you all, hope its appreciated. im a man, confident in my own skin and have been for a long time. the reasons that MOST men are afraid of successful women are not limited to;

1. makes them feel inadequate of dominating the woman

2. makes them feel less of a man

3. every argument she wins will be potrayed as 'its because you are more successful that you feel you are always right'

4. if the success is wealth related then it could be a big issue if the man isnt self confident. anything she buys will be seen as showy especially if the man cant afford the product/service

5. it can expand an already inferior complex inherent, so men steer clear of worsening the situation

6. it can bring about jealousy the man didnt even know existed.

and many more,

the honest truth is that regardless of society or economic situation of the country this problem is not limited to blacks, whites, indians, basically its a global issue. notable hardworking women like tyra banks, serena williams, oprah, condoleeza rice, just to name a few have had this problem in the past and currently. the thing is if a man is not secure he will fall prey to the problem.

to conclude it takes an amalgamation of efforts from the man and the woman to make the situation work. the man has to be secure, devoid of jealousy, and totally supportive of the wife's success. in addition the woman has to be respectful, try not to throw the money in his face and engage him when making expensive decisions that could cause a problem, basically effective risk management in the relationship. a good model is that of margaret thatcher of the united kingdom who as prime minister still cooked for her husband no matter how tired despite having numerous cooks at her disposal. im sure he respected it and returned the favour. prince phillip, queen of england's husband is another example. it can work but a lot of work has to be done by both parties, especially the man. its not her fault she's successful after all.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by rasputinn(m): 11:12am On Nov 07, 2009
Why would a man do that? any man that does that obviously has a complex problem that he should solve by becoming successful
CHIKENA
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by AjanleKoko: 11:14am On Nov 07, 2009
ladej:

the honest truth is that regardless of society or economic situation of the country this problem is not limited to blacks, whites, indians, basically its a global issue. notable hardworking women like tyra banks, serena williams, oprah, condoleeza rice, just to name a few have had this problem in the past and currently. the thing is if a man is not secure he will fall prey to the problem.

Aha! All black women. You see?
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by AmaG2(m): 11:16am On Nov 07, 2009
No man should be afraid oh
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by agabaI23(m): 11:24am On Nov 07, 2009
ladeji

All your examples na black women. Why na? E be like na only successful black women that have problem staying under a man?
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by Louisidowu(m): 11:26am On Nov 07, 2009
if your idea of a successful woman is one who has struggled to build a sound personality, not just financially but an "all round" kind of it, then i say it very great to have such for a friend and probably a partner, its all abt mutual support.

as for those who get afraid of successful ladies, may be this is where we men miss the point: ladies are to be pampered, the fact that a lady is successful and probably very successful does not change this, though the mode of approach to this whole idea of pampering her must constantly change.
its all abt knowing the right thing to do at the right time!

shocked
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by ladej(m): 11:29am On Nov 07, 2009
agabaI23:

ladeji

All your examples na black women. Why na? E be like na only successful black women that have problem staying under a man?

@agaba 123 and ajalenkoko- it isnt only black women, as i said its not limited to black women. i also mentioned the queen of england and margaret thatcher. nicole kidman, cher, madonna are others who have dated and married less successful men. i only used those examples because they talked about it to the media[ which is how i knew]. its a global issue. i believe episodes of desperate housewives even highlighted the issue in the suburbs when one of the husbands was extremely jealous of his wife, the one with the twins.
Re: Why Are Men Afraid Of Successful Women by 4llerbe(m): 11:44am On Nov 07, 2009
Phew! So much grammer! But i get d drift.
But what dyu think about a guy who is broke-ass and is STUPIDLY asking for help and money from girlfriend on a daily basis? One day girlfriend looks at d dumb idiot and gives a choice answer like , bla bla bla your mates are out there providing, bla bla bla.?

Hell, i dunno abt all ya yankee doodles but in naija here, when a man get 2 a certain age, even his parents tell him off if he as much as ask 4 help especially monetary! And that line is so popular, ''ur mates are doing dis and dt''

This is just sour grapes from girls who grew up in a society where the male is trained 2 be ALWAYS self sufficient and dominant else he is a failure and where d girls are trained 2 be in competition with men by women who have similar sour grapes hence d siege mentality.

Heck i even rmbr in schl way back, woe betide d class that was headed by a girl performance wise. D teachers would insult n insult d guys 4 dt! Now am sure in d west u prob end up in court or b4 a panel if u tried dt!

Bottomline, i have absolutely nothing against a richer spouse or girlfrnd as long as am not living off her! She can drive a limo, i stick to my tokunbo!
And am gonna be responsible 4 my family upkeep, she can add extras on top 4 our kids but d basics i will do! If all i can afford is a flat we stay there, she can rent her houses out unless she wants 2 live alone there!

In case u wondering that aint a complex, that is standing up 4 principles of which 1 is neva live off a woman, u always regret it! If u havent lived in a household where d woman was breadwinner, u wont understand!
N its not asking her to tone down! Cos she is free 2 do wat she wants, wear expensive stuff, drive expensive cars etc. Hell in dis society, once ur not jobless pple tend 2 assume ur taking gud care of ur wife! And d beta looking and living she is, d more props 4 u!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Parenting In The Digital Age / Dealing With A Football-Addicted Fiance / Why Are People Not Respecting The Sanctity Of Marriage Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.