Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants (22172 Views)

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? / Feminism Is An Abbreviation Of Female Stupidity - Nigerian Lady / Marriage And The Happily Ever After Syndrome: An Alternative Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by MizMyColi(f): 9:52am On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

Yes i am

Cool.
The doctor who delivered us left a very fine impression on me.
That has left me with this feeling of appreciation for all you guys do.

He seemed so passionate about his work and he was very polite. I couldn't help but mention him over and over to Dh who walked up to him and greeted him.

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 26, 2016
Ishilove:

Oh well...

Howdy grin

Remember me?

#YOLO
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by 5minsmadness: 10:07am On Nov 26, 2016
helovesme:

I will be honest too. I'm shocked such question came from her. She always came across as well enlightened lipsrsealed

Applying dusting powder on a baby's vagina (even on an adult's skin, dusting powder stings how much more on a baby's vagina), massaging it or whatever with hot water is nothing else but wickedness and abuse on a child.

Already circumcised women are going through some kind of "stigmatisation". Now one of the standard questions in a western country which women originally from Africa and other "circumcision hotspots" are asked while registering for antenatal is "have you being circumcised"? Their reason for asking and adding such to a circumcised woman's health records is so that all the doctors, midwives and nurses that will be attending to her on the day of delivery/throughout her pregnancy will be well aware of this fact as it's always a shock to them when they see a mutilated vagina during intimate examination/labour/delivery.

They also ask so that you are added to a "watch list" and they ensure such woman does not do same to any daughter she might have. They are aware it's a cultural/generational practice that tends to be passed on from grandmum to mum to daughter, etc.

Sweet Mary Joseph shocked shocked shocked

Sorry I had to laugh grin

Dearie, this isnt the reason they ask. Circumcised females are more prone to having vaginal and perineal tears during delivery cos circumcision leaves scar tissue in the vagina that doesnt stretch like it should during labour. Bleeding from such tears can give rise to what we call post-partum hemmoraging. The woman literally bleeds to death. Its one of the common causes of death /mortality during childbirth.

This is why they ask. smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:12am On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

I'm not sure she was talking about the clits. More likely the labia (minora). Those are the ones that sometimes come out "tattered" and raggedy.

You'd be surprised how many females are wholly or partially ingnorant of their own genital anatomy.
Oh okay...I was baffled because the clit is one tiny organ that can't look 'ragged'.

I am surprised. grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by helovesme(f): 10:14am On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

Dearie, this isnt the reason they ask. Circumcised females are more prone to having vaginal and perineal tears during delivery cos circumcision leaves scar tissue in the vagina that doesnt stretch like it shoukd during labour. Bleeding from such tears can give rise to what we call post-partum hemmoraging. The woman literally bleeds to death. Its one of the common causes of death /mortality during childbirth.

I'm only relaying what I was told by my midwife when I questioned why she asked.

If there are other reasons like what you've mentioned, it only further justifies why a baby's vagina should be left alone.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Maybe this will convince those parents that are still contemplating going down the circumcision route to back off the idea of mutilating their daughter's vagina.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:14am On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

Dearie, this isnt the reason they ask. Circumcised females are more prone to having vaginal and perineal tears during delivery cos circumcision leaves scar tissue in the vagina that doesnt stretch like it shoukd during labour. Bleeding from such tears can give rise to what we call post-partum hemmoraging. The woman literally bleeds to death. Its one of the common causes of death /mortality during childbirth.

Hiaaan...

Women have suffered. sad
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 26, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Darkrebel, just got your mention

Seriously don't mind those old mamas o, my mum went through same she was pestered by the older women around her then till I was circumcised ( Yes, I was).

cry cry cry
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 10:36am On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
It's not uncommon.I attended a boarding(school) and we often took our baths outside in the open because the bathrooms were usually messed up.You get used to guys' unclothedness.Some guys walk around butt naked for minutes during the day at times.We practically knew how each other's dicks were(and we weren't gay).
I know a few girls who sleep butt naked too.It's the way they are used to and it doesn't mean anything.
Sleeping butt naked ain't the same as sleeping butt naked when you're sleeping with people of the same sex, together in a room.

Bathing outside and walking around naked isn't uncommon, but sleeping naked in a room full of people? Common, even in the boarding school you attended, how many boys sleep naked?
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Mimzyy(f): 11:21am On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Sleeping butt naked ain't the same as sleeping butt naked when you're sleeping with people of the same sex, together in a room.

Bathing outside and walking around naked isn't uncommon, but sleeping naked in a room full of people? Common, even in the boarding school you attended, how many boys sleep naked?

Plenty o. I tell you. I attended a boarding school and it was not out of the ordinary to sleep naked. I guess u were a day student?

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by HaneefahRN(f): 11:53am On Nov 26, 2016
MizMyColi:

It was so new to me too.
The dusting powder I mean.
When I searched Google, I found that there was little mention of it, so I decided to create the thread to get more opinions and hopefully, it will be indexed on Google.

In all honesty, for a moment there, I considered it, but mainly for aesthetic purposes, and then maybe to avoid too much pleasure, cos a close friend told me a story of a friend's friend who was so promiscuous.

That her friend took her into an empty office and showed her her hoohaa, the c.lit. It was abnormally big and shooting out like a small preek and she said the place was always scratching her, hence her whorish nature.

When that woman talked about the waka waka lady, my mind flashed to the story I just told and I was scared for my DD.

Because I know I will never circumcise her, I was scared her c.lit might turn out that way and be scratching her too.

That was even why I searched Google till I saw the results, and even then, there was little reference to dusting powder.

So I thought to bring it here to know if talcum is different from dusting powder and in the event it is, is it actually dangerous?

I thank everyone of you for your inputs. I am more enlightened now.

Lolz. This 'scratching talk' is quite hilarious, sorry

I guess the lady you are talking about just has a very high libido and nothing to do with being uncircumcised.
Sure, most if not all common dusting powders around here contain talcum, which is said to be carcinogenic (you can easily check the constituent on the pack)

You are welcome
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 12:02pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mimzyy:

Plenty o. I tell you. I attended a boarding school and it was not out of the ordinary to sleep naked. I guess u were a day student?
I'm not a vampire. grin Yea I know it's not out of the ordinary to see such, but that's boarding school.

So tell me, were you among those who slept naked? And did you peek at the girls who slept naked? grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:

Many boys slept naked,it wasn't strange.We used double-bunk beds so everone had his space but once in a while,you will share a bed with someone.Most guys slept with only boxers but there were a few who slept naked.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
Many boys slept naked,it wasn't strange.
Many?
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by HaneefahRN(f): 12:19pm On Nov 26, 2016
eyinjuege:

To you, it looks tattered. To some men (I'm tempted to say most, but nothing to back it up with), it looks beautiful and they love it like that.
That's how its supposed to look anyway, and it's definitely not tattered.

Lolz, true.
I once had a weird side bunky in boarding house, she's usually 'spreading herself open '. It irritated me like, would tell her to cover up, and some minutes later, she'll be back to it.

So one day, I just said out loud with distaste ' Wait, is this what guys actually run after'?
And everyone was like Haneefah you have bad mouth, from that day she started covering her thing up.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 12:22pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Many?
In a hostel of over 1,000 students,will you consider 50 as many?
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 12:45pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
In a hostel of over 1,000 students,will you consider 50 as many?
Nope, few.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Lezzjnr: 1:56pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Exactly! She was even looking for an alternative to curb her kid's (not yet known) excessive sexual urge.

The loopholes in her OP doesn't fit abeg. Then again, it's a free world. She can do what she wanna do.

For me, the day I discover my future wife brings matters in our home for discuss in social media, that's the day she may kiss our marriage goodbye.

A resent survey attributed 25% of marital failure to Facebook. I wonder what the stats will be if other social media platforms were added into the survey.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2016
Lezzjnr:

A resent survey attributed 25% of marital failure to Facebook. I wonder what the stats will be if other social media platforms were added into the survey.
Let's give other social media platform 15%, then add it to Facebook, I'm sure the result will shock you.

Peeps still don't know there are some things that's suppose to be private.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 3:03pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Nope, few.
Okay few but shows it's perfectly normal to sleep butt naked(usually in a hostel setting where people are comfortable with roomates).
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 3:33pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
Okay few but shows it's perfectly normal to sleep butt naked(usually in a hostel setting where people are comfortable with roomates).
Perfectly normal, you say. Bro, let's check the meaning of normal first. Sleeping naked ain't normal. But still, whatever make the individual comfortable. smiley
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 3:52pm On Nov 26, 2016
MizMyColi:

Like you said, promiscuity is caused by various factors.
@question, even if it is true, I am against cutting out any part of her body.

What i don't want is a situation where her clit outgrows her vjay and starts scratching her....
I guess the reason they use water to massage that place.

All that is nonsense..... and there is not actual scientific study to proove this.

Its like saying guys with bigger peni.ses are more likely to sleep around because they are unable to control themselves due to their larger members....

Oya men in the house ..... verify or debunk this?

Having a large or small body part is down mostly to genetics... each person is built differently

Some have big ears does not mean they hear better,

Some have big eyes does not mean they have 20/20 visit. ( okpolo eye.... no be open eye, grin )

some have large noses does not mean they breathe more oxygen.

Some women have large breasts the size of watermelons does not mean they will produce more breast milk than ladies with tiny agbalumo sized bossoms.

Some have large hips, does not mean birthing a child will be a breeze.

And some men have large pen.ises does not mean they are automatically the most virile of the bunch.

So size has nothing to do with it. Focus on training your children to value themselves. Upbringing matters but also the pychological and emotional issues that may cause a person to rebel, finding solace in sexual encounters .

3 Likes

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by MizMyColi(f): 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

All that is nonsense..... and there is not actual scientific study to proove this.

Its like saying guys with bigger peni.ses are more likely to sleep around because they are unable to control themselves due to their larger members....

Oya men in the house ..... verify or debunk this?

Having a large or small body part is down mostly to genetics... each person is built differently

Some have big ears does not mean they hear better,

Some have big eyes does not mean they have 20/20 visit. ( okpolo eye.... no be open eye, grin )

some have large noses does not mean they breathe more oxygen.

Some women have large breasts the size of watermelons does not mean they will produce more breast milk than ladies with tiny agbalumo sized bossoms.

Some have large hips, does not mean birthing a child will be a breeze.

And some men have large pen.ises does not mean they are autatically the most virile of the bunch.

So size has nothing to do with it. Focus on training your children to value themselves. Upbringing matters but also the pychological and emotional issues that may cause a person to rebel, finding solace in sexual encounters .

I get your point.

Our kids are created in the image of their maker. His works are good and perfect.

Believing any less would be doing them a great disservice.

@HaneefahRN Thank yousmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by cococandy(f): 4:13pm On Nov 26, 2016
They probably have. No one has made the connection yet.

I know someone that died of ovarian cancer. A distant relation.

Who knows how many women have died from it and they were thought to have been 'spiritually killed' or even when they properly diagnosed, no one knew about the link between ovarian cancers and talc. Probably many.
eyinjuege:

Its true.
I heard about the cases.
Hmmm, and you can trust how we can overdo the powder thing, especially for those rashes that kids have. Powder seems to be the solution for nappy rash, skin rashes, eczema, and now even for circumcision shocked
Anyway, I pray Nigerians won't start coming down with such cos na everybody use talcum powder till now sef. They always smell nice cheesy
And how else will people know you're nursing a baby cheesy
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Perfectly normal, you say. Bro, let's check the meaning of normal first. Sleeping naked ain't normal
But still, whatever make the individual comfortable. smiley
Maybe you should start by telling us what is abnormal about it.
I don't see it strange, maybe because of boarding school experience.
The weather in the country is hot now anyway and people are sleeping with minimal clothing.

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 4:52pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
Maybe you should start by telling us what is abnormal about it.
I don't see it strange, maybe because of boarding school experience.
The weather in the country is hot now anyway and people are sleeping with minimal clothing.
First off. Majority don't sleep naked. Ever noticed how what the majority thinks becomes the standard norm?

To I and you, it's not strange, but to the majority, it is. Even though the weather is hot, many peeps still sleep with their clothes on.

Boarding school experience doesn't constitute the majority experience. Even girls in female hostels barely sleep naked.

The doings of adolescent kids is way different from that of adults.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by calliope(f): 5:17pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
First off. Majority don't sleep naked. Ever noticed how what the majority thinks becomes the standard norm?

To I and you, it's not strange, but to the majority, it is. Even though the weather is hot, many peeps still still with their clothes on.

Boarding school experience doesn't constitute the majority experience. Even girls in female hostels barely sleep naked.

Under this torrid weather? I can conveniently tell you people who precipitate furiously don't and most times sleep unclad. And they are quite a handful no too.

Ever noticed how what the majority thinks becomes the standard norm?

Does that make their collective preconceived ideas right? No.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 5:36pm On Nov 26, 2016
calliope:

Under this torrid weather? I can conveniently tell you people who precipitate furiously don't and most times sleep unclad. And they are quite a handful no too.
How did you arrive at this? Kindly share the means by which you came about this.

Does that make their collective preconceived ideas right? No.
The concept of right and wrong is only a matter of perspective that is usually based on the individual.

In a society as primordial, religious and traditional like ours. The majority constitute what is right, and what is wrong.

Ever heard the say "The voice of the people is the voice of God?".
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:

To I and you, it's not strange, but to the majority, it is. Even though the weather is hot, many peeps still sleep with their clothes on.

You're right not majority.In the Op's case,she said her roomates.In my case,i'll say some people in my secondary school.
From the little i've observed,most women don't sleep with a bra on.Some don't sleep with panties.Some sleep with just the cover cloth(that's how my wife sleeps).
It's not majority but I don't see it as abnormal as you say.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
You're right not majority.In the Op's case,she said her roomates.In my case,i'll say some people in my secondary school.
From the little i've observed,most women don't sleep with a bra on.Some don't sleep with panties.Some sleep with just the cover cloth(that's how my wife sleeps).
It's not majority but I don't see it as abnormal as you say.
Not sleeping with a bra on is way different from not sleeping with panties on, and sleeping totally butt-naked. There's a difference.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:

I have not heard it and I disagree.

Even if the majority of people in a particular place decides that it is right to burn twins or to mutilate a girl's vagina, it does it make any more right than it is wrong.

Back to topic. wink
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 6:10pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have not heard it and I disagree.
Yea right. Denial is always the foremost plausible human response.

Even if the majority of people in a particular place decides that it is right to burn twins or to mutilate a girl's vagina, it does it make any more right than it is wrong.
Back to topic. wink
That's a question left to the people's cognitive ability to reason what is right, and what is wrong.

Remember it was once right to sell black people as slaves, not just that, to also treat them in the most inhumane way(s) known to man.

It is very hard for one to go against popular beliefs.

Now to the topic, ladies first. smiley
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by calliope(f): 6:12pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
How did you arrive at this? Kindly share the means by which you came about this.
I stayed in a female hall.. and most girls dont.

The concept of right and wrong is only a matter of perspective that is usually based on the individual.
Correct.

In a society as primordial, religious and traditional like ours. The majority constitute what is right, and what is wrong.

But if I go by your concept of right and wrong, inspite of the society perception about a particular thing let say( sleeping unclad) in this weather would you say that individual did wrong for saving him/ herself from suffocating in their own precipitation? inspite?

Oh Kane. I get where you're coming from. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I Hurt My Mom Badly, How Do I Pacify Her? / Women Are Bad Marriage Advisers. / Marrying A Feminist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.