Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,158 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants (22179 Views)

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? / Feminism Is An Abbreviation Of Female Stupidity - Nigerian Lady / Marriage And The Happily Ever After Syndrome: An Alternative Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 6:17pm On Nov 26, 2016
I don't know about y'all but I sleep butt nekkid. I don't even use a cover cloth, heck no. Weather's too hot for that. When the weather cools again, I go back to using cover cloth, and when it's really cold, night shirts (but still nekkid underneath the shirt. Fresh air gasto touch the down below, y'know what I mean?)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2016
calliope:

I stayed in a female hall.. and most girls dont.
Now that is just a microcosm, in a larger microcosm. In my university days, I hardly ever hear girls and boys sleep naked.

Correct.
smiley

But if I go by your concept of right and wrong, inspite of the society perception about a particular thing let say( sleeping unclad) in this weather would you say that individual did wrong for saving him/ herself from suffocating in their own precipitation? inspite?
Not at all. One should do as one please. It's a short life we live. I sleep with just boxers on, even with mosquitoes being ever annoying, in a way, that's 'sleeping naked' but sleeping totally butt-naked, men that's a no no.

The only time I sleep naked, that is, butt naked is when I'm doing TDB as a result of having female company, (I encourage her to do same) I love easy access whenever I get hard. wink

Oh Kane. I get where you're coming from. smiley
[size=2pt]When was the last time I told you I want to give you a head?[/size] wink
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Yea right. Denial is always the foremost plausible human response.

I would have agreed if it made sense to me. wink

That's a question left to the people's cognitive ability to reason what is right, and what is wrong.

Remember it was once right to sell black people as slaves, not just that, to also treat them in the most inhumane way(s) known to man.

It is very hard for one to go against popular beliefs.

Was the popular opinion of the white man the voice of God too? wink
I don't think so. Denial?

Now to the topic, ladies first. smiley

The topic of this thread is female genitals, which (wo)men love or fear.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2016
Ishilove:
I don't know about y'all but I sleep butt nekkid. I don't even use a cover cloth, heck no. Weather's too hot for that. When the weather cools again, I go back to using cover cloth, and when it's really cold, night shirts (but still nekkid underneath the shirt. Fresh air gasto touch the down below, y'know what I mean?)
There's a time for everything. grin come oh, lemme watch you sleep naked nau. grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 6:27pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mindfulness:

I would have agreed if it made sense to me. wink
Course it made sense to you. You love to deny, you're a cutey woman after all. Denying has always been your greatest strength. wink

Was the popular opinion of the white man the voice of God too? wink
I don't think so. Denial?
Yea it was. It was the voice of the people who saw nothing wrong in slavery. Even the christian and muslim God don't seem to have any problem with slavery, hope you know this? wink

The topic of this thread is female genitals, which (wo)men love or fear.
Yea female genitals. But in this case, the genitals of a child.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Course it made sense to you. You love to deny, you're a cutey woman after all. Denying has always been your greatest strength. wink
Yea it was. It was the voice of the people who saw nothing wrong in slavery. Even the christian and muslim God don't seem to have any problem with slavery, hope you know this? wink

Ok.

Yea female genitals. But in this case, the genitals of a child.

Still.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 6:40pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mindfulness:

Ok.
grin

Still.
Still what, Still Dre? grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by thorpido(m): 7:06pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
Not sleeping with a bra on is way different from not sleeping with panties on, and sleeping totally butt-naked. There's a difference.
I just told you it's different in people.Some choose to go totally unclad.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 7:07pm On Nov 26, 2016
thorpido:
I just told you it's different in people.Some choose to go totally unclad.
Alright doc. smiley
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
grin

Still what, Still Dre? grin

grin grin grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

Sweet Mary Joseph shocked shocked shocked

Sorry I had to laugh grin

Dearie, this isnt the reason they ask. Circumcised females are more prone to having vaginal and perineal tears during delivery cos circumcision leaves scar tissue in the vagina that doesnt stretch like it should during labour. Bleeding from such tears can give rise to what we call post-partum hemmoraging. The woman literally bleeds to death. Its one of the common causes of death /mortality during childbirth.

This is why they ask. smiley

Cc. Helovesme

You are both right in your points. The risks in childbirth are higher depending on the severity of the "cut" and mothers that are circumcised are more likely to have it done to their daughters.

There are various degrees of circumsticion or rather let me say FGM.

From the mild case of just cutting the clitor.is all the way to where the entire clitor.is and all of the labia is removed! And sewn closed with only a tiny hole ( think of he size of a typical pencil) for urine and menstral fluids to come out .

If it is the mild case not involving any "sewing". A woman's chances of tears during childbirth is the same as any uncircumsized female.

However For anyone with the most severe kind to have sexual intercourse she needs to be cut open and will most likey have to be cut again or have a tear to have a baby!

There are cultures that require the woman in question to be cut open just a few days before her wedding day. Some case will have her husband use his dagger to open her up to be able to have penetration.

But the cut is just large enough to allow intercourse. For child birth she will be cut open even more . Assuming she doesnt die from any complications, she is sewn up again to the Peni.s sized opening and hence the brutal cycle continues for every child she has...

Note: this cutting and sewing like "abriba tailor" is by local community midwives using razor blade and "kpelebe" thread oh! With risk of infection, hearmorraging and the lack of anaesthesia.

Please is all this pain and drama worth it!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mindfulness:

grin grin grin

Sometimes You Make me Wanna, like Usher. smiley
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by 5minsmadness: 9:35pm On Nov 26, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Cc. Helovesme

You are both right in your points. The risks in childbirth are higher depending on the severity of the "cut" and mothers that are circumcised are more likely to have it done to their daughters.

From the mild case of just cutting the clitor.is all the way to where the entire clitor.is and all of the labia is removed! And sewn closed with only a tiny hole ( think of he size of a typical pencil) for urine and menstral fluids to come out .

If it is the mild case not involving any "sewing". A woman's chances of tears during childbirth is the same as any uncircumsized female.

However For anyone with the most severe kind to have sexual intercourse she needs to be cut open and will most likey have to be cut again or have a tear to have a baby!

There are cultures that require the woman in question to be cut open just a few days before her wedding day. Some case will have her husband use his dagger to open her up to be able to have penetration.

But the cut is just large enough to allow intercourse. For child birth she will be cut open even more . Assuming she doesnt die from any complications, she is sewn up again to the Peni.s sized opening and hence the brutal cycle continues for every child she has...

Note: this cutting and sewing like "abriba tailor" is by local community midwives using razor blade and "kpelebe" thread oh! With risk of infection, hearmorraging and the lack of anaesthesia.

I didnt want to continue arguing the point.

However I have a little free time on my hands grin

Anyone telling her the reason women are asked at antenatal if they are circumcised is so they can "get used to" or "come and observe" a torn up vagina is 100% wrong. Its medically unethical to begin with. And i doubt anyone in the western world would ask doctors and nurses to "come and see oh! " vis a circumcised vagina. There's a term we use "no emotion", or emotional aloofness. You cant be exclaiming or viewing your patients hoohaa or any other part of the anatomy for that matter for any reason other than medical. U could get sued.

As for the second part of putting them on a "Watch-List", lol, I'll ask. Its the first i'm hearing of it, but i'm hard pressed to understand exactly how they will be on hand to prevent the mother doing same to her own daughter: will they be sleeping in the same house with her until the baby is 5yrs? Will they keep raising up the little girl's skirt anytime she comes to school until she's grown up? Highly improbable.

For the mild case of female circumcision two cuts are made on the surface of the clit like tribal marks. It has no real debilitating effect on the clit long-term if done properly with a sterile blade and is sometimes advocated for in cases where diplomacy is required e.g a woman who is hell-bent on circumcising her child cos its tradition. We cant protect the child 24/7 and we dont want the mother to cut of the clit and the labia majora and minora and goodness knows what else. Some people argue that this method of marking the clit is a safe and acceptable alternative in extreme cases.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by helovesme(f): 10:08pm On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

Anyone telling her the reason women are asked at antenatal if they are circumcised is so they can "get used to" or "come and observe" a torn up vagina is 100% wrong. Its medically unethical to begin with. And i doubt anyone in the western world would ask doctors and nurses to "come and see oh! " vis a circumcised vagina. There's a term we use "no emotion", or emotional aloofness. You cant be exclaiming or viewing your patients hoohaa or any other part of the anatomy for that matter for any reason other than medical. U could get sued.

As for the second part of putting them on a "Watch-List", lol, I'll ask. Its the first i'm hearing of it, but i'm hard pressed to understand exactly how they will be on hand to prevent the mother doing same to her own daughter: will they be sleeping in the same house with her until the baby is 5yrs? Will they keep raising up the little girl's skirt anytime she comes to school until she's grown up? Highly improbable.

For the mild case of female circumcision two cuts are made on the surface of the clit like tribal marks. It has no real debilitating effect on the clit long-term if done properly with a sterile blade and is sometimes advocated for in cases where diplomacy is required e.g a woman who is hell-bent on circumcising her child cos its tradition. We cant protect the child 24/7 and we dont want the mother to cut of the clit and the labia majora and minora and goodness knows what else. Some people argue that this method of marking the clit is a safe and acceptable alternative in extreme cases.

Oh yeah !!

The same way I have it utterly amusing that someone who claims he/she is a "medical doctor" is of the opinion that it's okay to apply hot/warm water on a baby's vagina to reduce the size of her klit !!

Anyway, it's the Internet. Anybody can claim to be anything. grin

The fact that you have such opinion alone makes it a complete waste of time backing up my post with facts.

5 Likes

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by helovesme(f): 10:18pm On Nov 26, 2016
Too many ignorant people on nairaland.

5minsmadness

This is for you. I couldn't help but show you that I have facts to back up my post. You should only argue/sound confident on an issue you are 100% sure of to avoid a situation where you come across as lipsrsealed

Every western country has their own policy for all their maternity units.

http://www.rcht.nhs.uk/DocumentsLibrary/RoyalCornwallHospitalsTrust/Clinical/MidwiferyAndObstetrics/FemaleGenitalMutilationFGM.pdf

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 10:31pm On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

In the UK it has actually been criminalised, and health workers and teachers of high risk children are supposed to try and spot any children that they feel may have had it done during the course of the summer holidays when many are flown home to have it done. They have a whole array of organisations and charities that can provide information and councelling to at risk girls.

In theory ..... in exceptional cases there are legal powers to stop the parents from travelling abroad with the child.

But i agree, it is a very hard thing to police and you can only press charges if the girl in question comes forward and decides to follow through with the legal proceedings.

If she is an an otherwise loving environment and the fgm is the only thing out of the ordinary... it is unlikely that she will risk her parents going to jail by reporting it.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by helovesme(f): 10:34pm On Nov 26, 2016
Alphahandmaiden

Leave him to continue agruing ignorantly. grin

The link I posted is so detailed. The medical staff go as far as taking medical pictures/diagrams of the circumcised klit. That's to show how serious they take the issue.

3 Likes

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:39pm On Nov 26, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Cc. Helovesme

Hian. Na person punany dem dey tear and sew like Obioma tailor?
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2016
5minsmadness:

This is very disturbing
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:46pm On Nov 26, 2016
I'm beginning to find this in-depth analysis of the _clitoris very uncomfortable.

The images of torn _pussies, pussies_ that fail to expand during childbirth, ragged clits, clits with tribal marks, bleeding clits etc assault my over-active imagination. This is all getting too much for my delicate constitution. embarassed cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 10:49pm On Nov 26, 2016
Ishilove:

Hian. Na person punany dem dey tear and sew like Obioma tailor?
Babe, na small pikin punany oh. Na wetin make am taya me. In fact, e vex me no be small.

This is among the reason why I don't like following some nonsense archaic traditional practice.

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by 5minsmadness: 12:53am On Nov 27, 2016
helovesme:

Oh yeah !!

The same way I have it utterly amusing that someone who claims he/she is a "medical doctor" is of the opinion that it's okay to apply hot/warm water on a baby's vagina to reduce the size of her klit !!

Anyway, it's the Internet. Anybody can claim to be anything. grin

The fact that you have such opinion alone makes it a complete waste of time backing up my post with facts.

Ewoooooo!

And when did i say the bolded?
Your reasoning faculty immediately calls for questioning.

I said pressing on the vagina with hot water wouldn't cause any harm, I never advocated for or suggested it reduced the clit in any way. You just jumped blindly into your own inapt conclusion.

And I didnt "claim" anything. She asked, I answered. If not I hardly ever mention it.

P. S
Why do you feel the need to be rude to pass across your point? It boggles the mind that you need to go this route to assert yourself. Penultimately i believed i answered u as politely as possible, even stating that the person(not you) who gave you that information was wrong, you were just an innocent recipient of that info, why the need to calumniate? Or is your integrity the one at stake? I don't get it at all.

But if you want to play I'm most certainly game grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by 5minsmadness: 1:22am On Nov 27, 2016
helovesme:
Too many ignorant people on nairaland.

5minsmadness

This is for you. I couldn't help but show you that I have facts to back up my post. You should only argue/sound confident on an issue you are 100% sure of to avoid a situation where you come across as lipsrsealed

Every western country has their own policy for all their maternity units.

http://www.rcht.nhs.uk/DocumentsLibrary/RoyalCornwallHospitalsTrust/Clinical/MidwiferyAndObstetrics/FemaleGenitalMutilationFGM.pdf

This was your post :

helovesme:

I will be honest too. I'm shocked such question came from her. She always came across as well enlightened lipsrsealed

Applying dusting powder on a baby's vagina (even on an adult's skin, dusting powder stings how much more on a baby's vagina), massaging it or whatever with hot water is nothing else but wickedness and abuse on a child.

Already circumcised women are going through some kind of "stigmatisation". Now one of the standard questions in a western country which women originally from Africa and other "circumcision hotspots" are asked while registering for antenatal is "have you being circumcised"? Their reason for asking and adding such to a circumcised woman's health records is so that all the doctors, midwives and nurses that will be attending to her on the day of delivery/throughout her pregnancy will be well aware of this fact as it's always a shock to them when they see a mutilated vagina during intimate examination/labour/delivery.

They also ask so that you are added to a "watch list" and they ensure such woman does not do same to any daughter she might have. They are aware it's a cultural/generational practice that tends to be passed on from grandmum to mum to daughter, etc.

This is what i found absurd. That the only reason they are made aware of fgm is to cushion thier "shock" when they see a mutilated vagina.

In my subsequent post i said if the reason they are asking isn't medical then its not necessary vis:

5minsmadness:

If the reaon they were being asked fgm was to alleviate their doctors/nurses' shock then the reason was wrong.

And as for the watchlist part i said i would ask and alphahandmaiden answered appropriately.

I will respond to further mentions from you tit-for-tat.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 5:56am On Nov 27, 2016
SalomonKane:
Babe, na small pikin punany oh. Na wetin make am taya me. In fact, e vex me no be small.

This is among the reason why I don't like following some nonsense archaic traditional practice.
The mind boggles
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 27, 2016
Circumcision is good and its mostly done in the hospital the baby was delivered, possibly the second day or so by doctors, that's what my. Mum told me and that's how mine was done. So no memory of pains or whatsoever.
Try circumcise your daughter, With the help of doctor or certified midwife , op. It will make the clitoris, feel and looks smooth and neat.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 27, 2016
SalomonKane:
Sometimes You Make me Wanna, like Usher. smiley

You're funny. grin
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 27, 2016
Amelian:
Circumcision is good and its mostly done in the hospital the baby was delivered, possibly the second day or so by doctors, that's what my. Mum told me and that's how mine was done. So no memory of pains or whatsoever.
Try circumcise your daughter, With the help of doctor or certified midwife , op. It will make the clitoris, feel and looks smooth and neat.

So a surgery was performed on you because people thought you looked ugly down there as a baby?

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Ishilove: 10:08am On Nov 27, 2016
Amelian:
Interesting. What is the purpose of female circumcision?

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 27, 2016
Ishilove:

Interesting. What is the purpose of circumcision?

I don't know.. She didn't tell me the purpose. She simply said its good for boys and girls to be circumcised. That's all.
And I like the way my clit looks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 27, 2016
Mindfulness:

So a surgery was performed on you because people thought you looked ugly down there as a baby?

It was not a surgery. It was done a day after I was born. A simple process by the doctor. If requested by the mother.
I was a day old then.
Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by SalomonKane: 10:14am On Nov 27, 2016
Mindfulness:

You're funny. grin
Yea I have my moment. smiley Not to worry. From This Moment, I'll try and be funny.

I'm sure Shania Twain will smile at the emboldened. grin

2 Likes

Re: Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 27, 2016
Amelian:

It was not a surgery. It was done a day after I was born. A simple process by the doctor. If requested by the mother.
I was a day old then.

Did the doctor cut off part of your clit or not?

If yes, it was a surgery.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Hurt My Mom Badly, How Do I Pacify Her? / Women Are Bad Marriage Advisers. / Marrying A Feminist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.