Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (81345 Views)

Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG / Buhari Incapable Of Ruling A Democratic State, Has A Dark Past – Edwin Clark / Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by azorjiu(m): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2007
We all the know the population of lagos was under-estimated.
Obj can't say he doesn't know that.

Make them add 5 million to lagos sha.

I reject the result too.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Planner(m): 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2007
Anyway, last year's census is just follwing the tradition that has been since the first census was taken in this country. I do not know why you guys are suprised at the outcome. It was obvious that the census was not going to be different. By removing religion and ethnic group from the questionnaire Mr Makawa subtley told us that he will not be the one that will rock the boat of population falsification.

We will all shout haox but the figures has been made official. but who amongst you believed that Males outnumber femlaes in this country when there are an army of spinsters around.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by shango(m): 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2007
Ishamel we are not ignorant mallams. We do not buy your high fertility rate and geographical size of Kano dictating Kano has the largest population. Please. We are not mumus.

Ishmael, for you to try to say Kano is more populated than Lagos by saying Hausa wives have 10 children. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And who says the South has higher death rates. Where do you pull your figures from? Look at Satellite Imagery of Lagos vs Kano. Lagos's building and high rise density surpasses Kano's by several factors. And those villages surrounding so called "major cities" like Kano do not have millions in them. Please. I am not Hausa but I was born and raised in the North (Kaduna).

Ishmael should be a Nigerian government official. He would fit right in with the rest of the thugs, criminals and frausters that make up the Nigerian government.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Danmasani(m): 12:30am On Jan 11, 2007
shango:

Ishamel we are not ignorant mallams. We do not buy your high fertility rate and geographical size of Kano dictating Kano has the largest population. Please. We are not mumus.

Ishmael, for you to try to say Kano is more populated than Lagos by saying Hausa wives have 10 children. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And who says the South has higher death rates. Where do you pull your figures from? Look at Satellite Imagery of Lagos vs Kano. Lagos's building and high rise density surpasses Kano's by several factors. And those villages surrounding so called "major cities" like Kano do not have millions in them. Please. I am not Hausa but I was born and raised in the North (Kaduna).

Ishmael should be a Nigerian government official. He would fit right in with the rest of the thugs, criminals and frausters that make up the Nigerian government.
Being born in Kaduna metropolis doesnt mean you know the entire northern nigeria. I have stayed in Ibadan for years and i do not claim toknow the entire southwest. Stop being stupid please. There is more to the north than staying somewhere in Kaduna!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by shango(m): 3:13am On Jan 11, 2007
Being born in Kaduna metropolis doesnt mean you know the entire northern nigeria. I have stayed in Ibadan for years and i do not claim toknow the entire southwest. Stop being stupid please. There is more to the north than staying somewhere in Kaduna!

Sannu cheesy Domme kake Zagi na?

Nawa Aboki, learn to read. I didnt say I know all of Nigeria. I said I have visted some of the so called populous metropolitan city and compared to Lagos they are not that populated. That is all. Abi you are going to say Kano is more populated than Lagos like your Aboki Ishmael?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by shango(m): 5:01am On Jan 11, 2007
Kano. The place where women give birth to over 10 children per wife and they live till they are all over 100. It must be the Suya cheesy
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by sage(m): 7:33am On Jan 11, 2007
Guyz putting the Lagos--- Kano issue aside.

How on earth does Zamfara have much more people than Abia state .

Somebody pls answer this for me
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ajaabi(m): 9:14am On Jan 11, 2007
This is no issue 4 controversy. The blind can see it! Use other statistics: Lagos has 40% of vehicles in Nigeria, primary school enrollment/population, movement of food items (alw to south-Lagos, we dont farm here and they dont eat there!). Nigeria has come stay, it ll outlive those who dont mean well 4 her. Do I hear a rousing 'Amen'?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ajaabi(m): 9:36am On Jan 11, 2007
My lastline: what usually hurt me whenever our rulers made a fool of us is the impression they create of us. Wont the world think we are all DUMB? How can we rub their stupidity in their ugly faces?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 9:49am On Jan 11, 2007
shango:

Sannu cheesy Domme kake Zagi na?

Nawa Aboki, learn to read. I didnt say I know all of Nigeria. I said I have visted some of the so called populous metropolitan city and compared to Lagos they are not that populated. That is all. Abi you are going to say Kano is more populated than Lagos like your Aboki Ishmael?

have you ever lived in kano b4?? The average southern belives that the north is a desert and so kano state is a desert. Sorry go to kano state and see for yourselves. Anyway the figures have been released lets see what the government will do to improve the lives of its citizens. I,m not an aboki pls.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ayo84(m): 10:24am On Jan 11, 2007
what happened is that the north really prepared for the census.They know that the southern states are lukewarm about the census.We have to realise that the north are good planners,when state governors in the south weren't serious at all,the northern governors were making arrangements so that everybody was counted,they left nothing to chance at all.

1 Like

Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 10:50am On Jan 11, 2007
ayo84:

what happened is that the north really prepared for the census.They know that the southern states are lukewarm about the census.We have to realise that the north are good planners,when state governors in the south weren't serious at all,the northern governors were making arrangements so that everybody was counted,they left nothing to chance at all.

You have said it all. Now that we have the figures whatz going to happen?? Are they going to use it to put food on our tables?? Are they going to use it to create jobs for nigerians?? Are they going to use it to repair East-west road?? are they going to use it to dualize Abuja - Lokoja road?? What of drugs in our general hospitals, are they going to use the figures to make drugs available to the masses??
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 12:23pm On Jan 11, 2007
@ ayo84 the logisitc problems were part of the script, whilst i know the southern governors chase shadows i, Its not the effective planning of the northern governors, its the fact that it was pre-conceived idea to ensure that a certain outcome is achieved. The PDP primaries is still fresh in our memories, these are scripts, its just been played out.

Someone (analytical) in the other thread on census raised interesting questions, why conduct a census with its attendant divisive tendency so close to an election year suggesting that it might be to give credence to a pre-conceived election results.

I really would be glad if these results translate to better life in the north i.e. more ammenities and drugs as ishmael asked. Maybe some of the distortions the north faces will improve, but me and you know, that is not going to happen. We are in this together with those people of the north, the leaders twist things on the face of it to favour them but nottin gets to the people. Am not one to run down others but the illiteracy of the people is disturbing, thats why they get away with all the nonsense, the people dont know better. In addition i ask how many of the elites send their kids on the "almariji" thingy but the low income feels obligated to religion to do same. What of the begging culturs, the amputated citizens, those subjected to Sharia, this people want this becos they dont know better.

A look at the whole result is really funny Zamgara, Sokoto , Nigeria is such a funny place. grin grin

Second base jare, grin grin as Fela would say
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 12:39pm On Jan 11, 2007
buluti:

In addition i ask how many of the elites send their kids on the "almariji"

The poor and uneducated masses in the north have been brain-washed, that is why they believe anything the mallams and the politicians tell them. All still boils down to poverty; how do you see it?? That is why it is only the children of the poor and uneducated that go to almajiri school to learn how to read the koran, while the children of the rich stay in their houses and a hired koranic teacher comes to teach dem in the house when they come back from school (school = western education).
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ayo84(m): 12:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
i'm not saying that the results are authentic oh grin
what happens is that the north plans very well in their diabolic and hidoeus schemes.They have been planning on how to manipulate and make sure the census results are in their favour.
Lets face it the only way the north will develop is if they hands off south south oil and develop on their own.

1 Like

Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2007
ayo84:

Lets face it the only way the north will develop is if they hands off south south oil and develop on their own.

Is it possible?? When most of them are the biggest major oil dealers. They will never agree to do that. But how did this all start?? Why na dem dey the oil business pass people wey get the oil sef??
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by oggboy(m): 12:58pm On Jan 11, 2007
it beats all imagination,even the science of geography which postulates that population tend to grow  more in the tropics than in the north.what  about tne east places like onitsha,and aba etc?? a complete HOAX.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2007
I heard something from an Igbo man that lived in Kano sometime ago that struck me. He said he was not surprised that Kano State was more populated than Lagos inspite of the noise and complaints over the census results.

He went on to give his reasons, some of which I never even thought off.

The bottomline line is that we should try to discuss issues we understand very well so that we may not be found wanting when these issues require detailed analysis or explanations.

How many of us have lived in both Lagos and Kano and for how long?

Assuming some of us are qualified based on the question above, is there a way for someone to count the number of people apart from personal standards or inferences or belief in popular notions without necessarily focusing on the correctness or otherwise of the decision reached?

Put differently, it will be very difficult for a lot of people to know what happened (assuming the result is fraudulent) and the best we can do is take sides based on conjectures, mindsets, what geography says, bias and sometimes wishful thinking.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Planner(m): 1:20pm On Jan 11, 2007
You have said it all. Now that we have the figures whatz going to happen?? Are they going to use it to put food on our tables?? Are they going to use it to create jobs for nigerians?? Are they going to use it to repair East-west road?? are they going to use it to dualize Abuja - Lokoja road?? What of drugs in our general hospitals, are they going to use the figures to make drugs available to the masses??

With the outcome of this census, revenue allocation will change, with states having the highest population receiving the biggest revenue and other infrastructural facilities. Like someone said the notherners are very very smart, much smarter than the so-called more educated southerners. Until we change the constitution and share revenue according to derivatives then this illegality will continue.

Anyway during thje last census, ALL the northerners i knew travelled back to their home town.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2007
I'm not really surprised Lagos and Kano have similar figures

It's very obvious in the case of Lagos because it is small and very congested especially on the main island But not too obvious in Kano because its quiet big and they have many villages especially on the way to/from Zaria and other states around it.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2007
LoverBwoy:

I'm not really suprised lagos and kano have similar figures

It's very obvious in the case of lagos because it is small and very congested especially on the main island But not too obvious in kano because its quiet big and they have many villages especially on the way to/from zaria and other states around it.

Please help me tell them o!! i was almost crucified for saying that it was possible for kano to have the highest figure in the 2006 census; funny enough the difference between Kano and Lagos is not very significant.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Sijien(m): 4:51pm On Jan 11, 2007
well what can we say really?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2007
How is Zamfara state more populated than Abia state?. . . Someone clear that up please!. . . There are more ridiculous things going on in this census than Lagos v. Kano, that is just a minor issue.

By the way, this by no way implies that Northeners outnumber Southerners. We do know the number of Southerners who live up North and the number of Northerners who live down South. We know that the Northerners travelled back home to be counted and yet the figures are somewhat close.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Planner(m): 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2007
It's very obvious in the case of Lagos because it is small and very congested especially on the main island But not too obvious in Kano because its quiet big and they have many villages especially on the way to/from Zaria and other states around it.

I am afraid that is a flawed argument.  LAgos having a smaller land area is does not mean it will have a smaller population than Kano. We all know that lagos is still the centre of nigeria life, where all  the ethnic group is represented in the state and contributing to the growth and development of the state.

The 2006 census is simply a fraud.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 6:56pm On Jan 11, 2007
Afam:

He went on to give his reasons, some of which I never even thought off.

@ Afam please provide us with some of this reasons. I really want to understand why this can be. I am a reasonable and intelligent person, in the face of superior and logical arguements i learn, but not when theres no logic. Please provide some of this reasons.

Afam:

How many of us have lived in both Lagos and Kano and for how long?

Please you dont have to live in a place to make an informed judgement of the population of the place, it might not be accurate, but you can make an informed judgement. Its like saying GRA Ikeja is more populated than Ajegunle. Can that be, do you have to live in the areas to make an informed judgement.

Afam:

Assuming some of us are qualified based on the question above, is there a way for someone to count the number of people apart from personal standards or inferences or belief in popular notions without necessarily focusing on the correctness or otherwise of the decision reached?

Put differently, it will be very difficult for a lot of people to know what happened (assuming the result is fraudulent) and the best we can do is take sides based on conjectures, mindsets, what geography says, bias and sometimes wishful thinking.

Popular notions, wishful thinking, mindsets please when there is no logical explanation for positions. such statements are made, , "what geography says" (that might be wise) becos geography tells a lot.

I dont know about you but when i see somethin that doesnt add up especially numbers i know. Its not about mindset of conjectures its about understanding migration the causes and effects. There are certain reasons that attract people to a place, people are not in Lagos becos they love the life theres are reasons why they are there. Kano is a great place and is a known commercial centre thats not in doubt, same with Lagos but there are much much more thins that attract people, occupational mobility, climate, risk and presence of diseases, acceptance and tolerance by natives etc. Lagos has more advantages that attracts population than Kano.

Please note am not saying it cant be, am saying enlighten me. Thats what i asked Ishmael yesterday before we drifted off. The reasons would be there for all to analyse.

And as others have stated the issue is bigger that just Lagos Kano, also suggest reasons for Zamfara, Sokoto and the others. SInce some of us tend to agree with Lagos Kano, please explain these other distortions, if not the whole result cant be trusted, then we seize our arguements.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 7:29am On Jan 12, 2007
I'm even more concerned about Katsina state having more people than Oyo state. The whole thing is a charade i beg!!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2007
@Buluti,

Thanks for the questions, my mistake for not stating his reasons.

To begin with, his reasons does not necessarily mean he is correct, it is just that he look at the issue differently and coming from the South East, I felt he wasn't saying anything to protect his own people as is using the case in issues like these.

1. He stated that Kano has a larger land mass and that people often mistake what they see in the city to represent the whole state. He maintains that even though you may drive for a long time without seeing houses that it doesn't mean that people do not live around there, it may mean that they don't live close to the roads.

2. He asked me if I had any idea of how many northerners that travelled home for the census pointing out that Lagos may have the largest population today before if for the sake of census people travel out, it will lose that advantage. Little wonder Tinubu was asking non indigenes to stay put for the census.

These were the 2 reasons he gave and like I stated, these reasons are not statements of facts that cannot be challenged.

Personally, I want to ask this question, in the last census was Lagos the most populous state in Nigeria or was it Kano?

The answer to this may help us in knowing if what happened was an anormally or has been consistent with previous census results.

I agree that one does not need to live in a place to make an informed decision but do not forget that in this case the actual census officials have the upper hand in knowing for sure what the populations are in the states they covered.

Many thanks for your time.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 11:37am On Jan 12, 2007
In 1991 16 years ago Lagos was more than Kano given the massive migration into Lagos on a daily basis for anyone that schooled outside of Lagos you can be guaranteed that after graduation 50% of your mates are on their way to Lagos.

There are 4.1 million houses in Lagos then are we sating we have an average of less than 3 people per household? go to Ajegule, IyanaIpaja,Agege even Alimosho local govt alone should be about 4 million.

The large number of `LAGOS' settler that live in Ogun state how did that affect the population of Ogun State. I mean Ogun State should have a large population too?

For the past few year UN agengies have regarded Lagos as one of the Largest cities population wise in the world these are organisations that have no political interest in Nigeria how come they never mentioned a city called Kano?

The land mass does not have much influence on number of inhabitant the natural condusive environment like fertile land and mild weather determine population concentration

80% of families in southern Nigeria have at least a relation living in Lagos, 60% of South Eastern adult reside in Lagos, all ethnic nationalities are represented in large numbers in Lagos

What natural disaster has happened in Lagos between 1991 and 2006 that would make Kano overtake it and we all know of the frequent religious and political riots starting from June12 Kano has witnessed that has claimed many lives and sent numbers away from Kano.

There is high infant mortality in the north including Kano the women deliver a lot but the children die a lot. Polio and other child killer diseases are still prevalent in the north. so how come Kano is more than Lagos??

I have been(spent considerable time) to states like Bauchi, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna and Nigerb States before and I know what I am saying
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 1:26pm On Jan 12, 2007
dayokanu:

I have been(spent considerable time) to states like Bauchi, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna and Niger States before and I know what I am saying

You don't know what you are saying jo!!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2007
NPC: wuruwuru to the answer

According to the 1991 census figures, Kano state was purported to have a population of 5,632,040 while that of Lagos was put at 5,685,781.
Since 1991, Jigawa state has been carved out of the old Kano state. According to population figures for 2005, Kano and Jigawa states have a combined population of 13,732,331 – an amazing growth rate of 143.83% in less than 15 years! Lagos on the other hand could only manage a meager 58.53% within the same time frame.

According to UN estimates, Lagos was estimated to have a population of 13.4million in 1999 and 23.2million inhabitants in the year 2015! While Lagos is predicted to become one of the world’s most populous cities in the next 10 years, the UN apparently seems to have overlooked Kano and Jigawa states, perhaps the only places in the world with the most phenomenal growth rates! High infant and maternal mortality, low life expectancy, poverty and death rate does not seem to have affected these “special” states.
This census is indeed about development, it has NOTHING to do with the illegality of revenue sharing!

Welcome to Nigeria!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Mariory(m): 2:52pm On Jan 12, 2007
I don't know how anyone can attempt to justify the released census figures for Lagos. It's lunacy, absolute lunacy.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by DRANOEL(m): 3:22pm On Jan 12, 2007
some of your arguments are lame,consider this-

kano is dominated 97% by muslims,the average muslim man marries four wives with aproximately 5 kids each or more,kano collects the commercial market of the neighbouring countries on like lagos which shares with cotonu,lagos state is a city state (you cant really point out the city in lagos state,the whole lagos is the city) unlike kano city that you can point out in kano state and to be honest the second largest town in kano is by far bigger than ekiti state.

as for zamfara and abia i have been to gusau and i really doubt if it is larger than aba in population

the plateau figure is true people are not much there except the capital jos

the benue figure is a bit under estimated,though officially the 8th largest state in population the figure should be more than that

ekiti,bayelsa,anambra,kwara,imo,enugu,nasarawa,kogi,niger,rivers,delta got there true figures

fct the figure is true cause most of the people that populate the fct live in mararaba,ado,masaka e.t.c all in nasarawa state

the north being more populated than the south i have always said it, i have live well round the north and a good number of sourthern states and from what i see the north has more population even the C.I.A attest to this.

most of you just travel and take what you have seen by the road to start an argument,some of you only visit the state capitals and then conclude that you have seen the whole state,take benue for example gboko is more populated than the state capital makurdi.
you all should visit each local govt. before starting an argument

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Egheomhanre Eyieyien Dies After Facebook Post / Projects Of Governor Godwin Obaseki In Edo In Pictures / Emir Sanusi Dethronement: Security Operatives Storm Kano Emir’s Palace (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.