Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,761 members, 7,955,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:06 PM

Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (82256 Views)

Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG / Buhari Incapable Of Ruling A Democratic State, Has A Dark Past – Edwin Clark / Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 11:16am On Jan 24, 2007
The so called highly populated, comfortable and productive Northern Nigeria. Yobe state was said to have over 2.3 million people, mostly living in the villages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6288445.stm

Villages that are being eroded, its in my country that deserts have such a high population.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 3:01pm On Jan 24, 2007
buluti:

The so called highly populated, comfortable and productive Northern Nigeria. Yobe state was said to have over 2.3 million people, mostly living in the villages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6288445.stm

Villages that are being eroded, its in my country that deserts have such a high population.

Even if Yobe state is a desert (and we know it is not), all the states in the north are not deserts.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by stanech: 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2007
U* guys should forget this census shit

The north is always claiming to be at the top in everything

It will soon be over for them
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 11:40pm On Jan 24, 2007
@ Stanech

Na true talk bro.

The north want to be active in nothing but politics. They want to be the sports minister, how many northerners participate in international sports (european football, boxing, weight lifting, swimming, fencing, sumo wrestling . . .? 60 million!

How many northerners make our hip hop tick? 100 million!

Check the national assembly, 200 zillion shocked

When it comes to inflating figures, they are perfect.

Anything that has to do with numbers favouring them, they are down.

Before, allocation was by land mass, now that they are even "more", it can as well be by population. Since the elections are drawing nigh, you can imagine what we are going to see again, and for that one, i won't be surprised at all. The north is here to stay, for real, like the military (who owns the military sef?) grin

If Kano was Lagos in reality, it'd have 50 million residents. Chikena! cool
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by stanech: 9:30am On Jan 25, 2007
Thank you christiano

the southern Nigeria has a problem, do you guys know what that problem is?

Fear!!!!! The fear of this, The Fear of that ,

If the North were to have even a little amount of Oil Do you think we would still be one Nigeria?

The ans is a big NO!!

The earlier we realize what these guys are doing the better for us. They dig out our Oil, and sell
take the money to the North and then share the money as they wish.
Then use the money to organize religious riots and kill as many southerners.

The next is to tell us every Odd reason while we should stay together as one Nigeria.

To Hell with one NIgeria embarassed
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 7:25pm On Jan 26, 2007
It was a great pity to the corpse of democracy has OBJ handed the results to the National Assembly and he made "HISTORY".

A journalist said, yesterday, that the stretch from Abule Egba to Iyana Ipaja to Ikeja to Oshodi and finally to Mushin, considering both sides of that road is more than the total population of Kano, including their unborn babies.

It's a pity how someone sill stand on the Bridge of Oshodi Oke for 5 hours and see tiny heads of lagosians heavily crowded yet have the guts to tell you there are only 100,000 people there in. You need to visit Winner's Chapel or the Synagogue or even Christ Embassy to see whats up on sundays.

American journalists put lagos' population between 15 million and 22 million and our honorable presido handed 9 million in the name of "HISTORY".

Ride on dawgs, the next fraud is elections and it's just around the corner. grin
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 11:18am On Jan 27, 2007
Christino:

American journalists put lagos' population between 15 million and 22 million and our honorable presido handed 9 million in the name of "HISTORY".

American journalists? Can you hear yourself? This is disgusting to say the least.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 11:31am On Jan 27, 2007
@ Afam,

So an estimate is disgusting? Please tell me what's disgusting in it, especially when it's widely believed to be true?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by stanech: 12:12pm On Jan 27, 2007
Afam:

American journalists? Can you hear yourself? This is disgusting to say the least.

Digusting ?

Thats one problem with you notherners and thier followers the truth is always disgusting
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2007
Christino:

@ Afam,

So an estimate is disgusting? Please tell me what's disgusting in it, especially when it's widely believed to be true?

What is disgusting is that you are more inclined to believe what an american journalist said about the population of Lagos being between 16 million and 22 million.

Is there any problem with people making a case against this census results apart from the usual "everybody knows", "Kano is a desert stuff"?

Till today, the best opportunity to rubbish the census result is for Lagos state to make public its own calculation/results since it conducted a parallel one but strangely enough some people here accept the explanation that Lagos cannot release the result due to unconstitutionality but will do so when the break down is released and yet is still rejecting the result.

What manner of people are we?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 6:18pm On Jan 27, 2007
@ Afam, its time YOU take it easy too, you are becoming obsessed like Nigeria1. The results have been presented and approved abi, all has been said,

Let our conscience be the judge, to each one ,,,our conscience should judge us.

Its an issue of individual principles and ideals.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 3:44am On Jan 28, 2007
No result have been approve, You are not in a military era where a body of supreme military council approve census, You need the senate and house of assembly to approve the census, The president claim he was mislead on the issue, OR as the senate or national assembly approve it, They are the only group who constitution can approve the census figure, budget or anything, The president is only a figure head, The best Obasanjo can do is use is VETO power, And The president as not said he want to use VETO power to force the census result on Nigerian, If he does do that , the PDP would lose, If 300 reps show him Oba, can you see 90% of Nigeria, We are not in the military the council of state does not have power to approve the census figure, It is not their reponsiblity, check the USA constitution too,
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Chyy(f): 4:10pm On Jan 28, 2007
I dont stay in either of the states, but i think Kano is densely populated.
In Lagos must people stay in Ogun and just drive to work Mondays thru Fridays.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Ugwumba(m): 4:24pm On Jan 28, 2007
Why do we worry so much about this population thing.
Firstly, given the same GDP, per capita income is more, the fewer people are there. I would love a Nigeria with fewer people (say, <50 million).

Secondly, there is no true distribution of wealth based on population in naija - the politicos use this population thing to get more federal allocation, giving them more to steal.

Thirdly, your votes aren't counted anyway, and so the 'claimed' number of people doesn't matter - In the April 2003 elections, more votes were recorded, in some states, than the number of registered voters.

So Kano is more populous than Lagos - SO FRIGGING WHAT?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 7:38pm On Jan 28, 2007
@ Afam,

I'll be the first to ring you up when the hammer hits the nail in the head, don't know why you got unnecessarily hypertensive on hearing "American journalists" like it's the first time you'll be hearing that Lagos is above 15 million in pop, be it by an American or an italian (abi person no fit yarn again on Nairaland?).

By the way i've been seeing weather forecasts in decades now and for the important cities featured, I hardly ever see Kano in the top 100.  grin

@ Ugwumba,

Exactly why i'm neither registering or voting cheesy

I have a feeling OBJ favours the north mainly because they were the ones who voted for him (that's if at all the rigging wasn't so perfect!) but with all the powers that be supporting the PDP back then (Dangote, IBB, ) I'm not surprised northerners would always get the nod. And now that his contract with Yar'Adua continues, I see that guy also handing over to Iyabo OBJ in the next 8 years and so on and so forth while the South South and "other" Nigerians fold their feeble hands and watch, and the rest of the argument lingers on Nairaland!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 8:04pm On Jan 28, 2007
@ Nigeria1

I watched OBJ hand over the results to his chickens in the context of "MAKING HISTORY", i'm convinced that the deal is done and sealed, though we know in our humble hearts that it's just another Fraud, about to usher in an even greater fraud.

As it is there are only 2 people contesting for the presidency, both northerners, no doubt power shifts to the north this year. Buhari or Yar'Adua with the latter being the automatic favorite.

What this means is if the south and west come together to vote one person, say Okotie, all will amount to less than that of the North.

The results don't necessarily mean that the entire recorded population of the North is "strictly" northerners but it's already on record, so henceforth, anything goes their way. Simple and short.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 10:00pm On Jan 28, 2007
May be you did not watch it well in the house of rep, only 19 member of the 360 member where there initially, they have to call some of their friend to fill the place to 55 reps,  305 rep refuse to accept the census figure 305 of 360 is 85% of Nigeria reps,  so our reps have spoken,  The constitution is clear,  council of state made of man who were NOT ELECTED can not approve the census,  WHO elect IBB, SHAGARI, BUHARI and others,  The constituttion is clear,  The president is to recieve the result  and" lay it on the table of house,  " which mean,  for them to decide on it,  It would show the senate is made of stipud men, if they claim laying the census on the table is their only function,  It is just an IDIOM expression, which means for them to discuss it. No tell me say na villages people be everybody, i know say some of them don live for abroad before, wait till this week,  

Census is like a budget, the excusive prepare it, the house approve it,  This is not a military era,  but you know when you start having ex military officer IBB, GOWON, BUHARI on council of state, then we have problem,  there are not suppose to be on the council,  No disrespect to any one.

An the president claim he as been mislead, And if you look at the president faces, you would see how much humilation mr makama have made this man go thru, Mr president was just too unhappy. I pity him watching him on television,
We should not been discussing if they approve or not, but we should be talking of how do mr makama would go to jail for collecting money and playing 419 on Nigeria, and humilating Mr president,
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by oyinboaja: 10:05pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 11:23am On Jan 29, 2007
buluti:

@ Afam, its time YOU take it easy too, you are becoming obsessed like Nigeria1. The results have been presented and approved abi, all has been said,

@Buluti,

I am sure if I agreed with you that the results were forged even when we don't have credible proof then you won't accuse me of being obsessed.

I live in Lagos and had believed all along that Lagos had more than 15 million people based on information that the media carried. That a census stated otherwise is not enough reason to discard it even when the Lagos state govenment had an excellent opportunity to rbbish the census results.

Thanks for the advice but unlike you I cannot stake even N1 for the census result but I will not disagree with it based on the vague arguements put forward by some people on this forum.

Put differently, while the census results may not be entirely correct, I have not seen any meaningful reason why it should be discarded especially when no altenative is available.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2007
Mr. Afam,

Please for the avoidance of doubts i dont need you to agree with me on the issue of the census result, i am well learned in the field of demography, migration and populations so i understand in deep terms what i talk about. In your opinion you need credible proof oh sorry "meaningful reason" take your time to look for it,

Again refer to my earlier post if Lagos comes up with a ridiculous figure it wont make it right, the credibility of the process has already been undermined.

Afam:

Thanks for the advice but unlike you I cannot stake even N1 for the census result but I will not disagree with it based on the vague arguements put forward by some people on this forum.
Put differently, while the census results may not be entirely correct, I have not seen any meaningful reason why it should be discarded especially when no altenative is available.

HELLO!!!! shocked shocked shocked, "unlike me i cannot stake N1" am really lost here, am i the one that can stake 1 kobo,

You waste all the time in the world arguing on a position you dont believe in, "what do you mean by entirely correct", based on your previous position i thot people counted and thats the only meaningful reason, the results are sacrosant , abi,

I dont understand this your new position, correct me if am wrong, you believe the result is not "entirely correct" but at the same time need meaningful reason to yourself to acknowledge its wrong,

Geezzz.,,, Its  dishonorable to try and shift your position crafitily this way, i can see through this and know exactly where it is going and i wont be part of such, next it would be i said this but meant this, i didnt say this and so on, I dont think i would take you serious on this forum as you are exhibiting some undesirable qualities.

My advice to you please be principled, if you believe something is wrong stand on it, its a matter of conscience, you dont need a reason to justify a wrong thing, God  sad sad so sad sad sad

In summary its one of the issues that divide us as a nation, next it would be religion. I wont join in that which divides us as a nation if it has been declared an act in Nigeria, passed into law  (HAS IT REALLY), so be it, Its a democracy i disagree and hold my reservations strongly against the results and if "within the confines of the law" i can make a contribution to change it i would.

I believe in constituted authority and if its been passed into law, then the debate is over, it doesnt mean we cant discuss it BUT WE NEED TO MOVE ON, and discuss what can be put in place for all to agree the next one would be correct, if those that swore to uphold the law to be fair to all, have agreed with it, i leave it to their consciene if they have one, prosterity would judge,

As i said earlier its a matter of conscience, we should stand on principles and ideals, which i clearly see now is in short supply in my country.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2007
@Buluti,

The census result may not be entirely correct as in being exact as I have heard from people that claimed that they were never counted.

My arguement has been based on the fact that people believe they should disregard the census result in favour of comments like "Kano is a desert", "Satellite picture shows this", "everybody knows that the census result was doctored" etc.

In the absence of an credible alternative result I will rather accept the census result than disregard it based on the reasons people have been giving.

I have taken time to write the few lines above to make it clear that your cheap but shameless diversion won't work here.

I am sure that from the very first post to the last my position on this thread has been steady and consistent. I wish I could say the same thing about you.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2007
Thank you.

Afam:

My arguement has been based on the fact that people believe they should disregard the census result in favour of comments like "Kano is a desert", "Satellite picture shows this", "everybody knows that the census result was doctored" etc.

Congratulations on accepting a result you call "doctored".

Afam:

I am sure that from the very first post to the last my position on this thread has been steady and consistent. I wish I could say the same thing about you.

So Kano results were doctored, i didnt know that was what you've been trying to tell us all this while in a steady and consistent way.

I am happy you cant say the same for me, i dont want to be associated with such consistent statements.

Thanx.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by hellbe: 8:45am On Jan 30, 2007
Someone sent this figure to me. He said this was the original figure that is brother works in NPC in abuja,  that it was the first result which was rejected by Alhaji S Makama. His brother told him that Alhaji only change the figure 3 hours to going to see he president.

Lagos 13,785,674
Kaduna 9,043,836
Oyo 8,947,383
Kano 8,158,394
Bauchi 5,096,533
Borno 5,075,494
Benue 5,043,964
Rivers 5,018,364
Ondo 4,964,864
Ogun 4,873,429
Anambra 4,639,264
Delta 4,492,711
Niger 4,274,901
Katsina 4,189,637
Osun 4,169,364
Imo 4,157,383
Plateau 4,073,562
Kogi 4,064,254
Adamawa 4,047,738
Edo 3,983,534
Akwa Ibom 3,958,424
Kwara 3,948,533
Jigawa 3,653,893
Enugu 3,578,733
Abia 3,463,474
C River 3,352,453
Zamfara 3,173,648
Sokoto 3,093,843
Kebbi 3,051,164
Taraba 3,036,372
Ekiti 2,573,748
Yobe 2,547,843
Gombe 2,536,746
Ebonyi 2,493,373
Nassarawa 2,362,647
Balyesa 2,274,734
Abuja 1,853,457
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by zebra(m): 10:43am On Jan 30, 2007
Na wa o; where you from get these figures?? Don't cause confusion in Nigeria o.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 10:55am On Jan 30, 2007
buluti:

Thank you.

Congratulations on accepting a result you call "doctored".

So Kano results were doctored, i didnt know that was what you've been trying to tell us all this while in a steady and consistent way.

I am happy you can't say the same for me, i don't want to be associated with such consistent statements.

Thanx.

It seems this is just a case of someone being incapable of critically looking at issues.

Accepting the results as totally correct or totally wrong does not make sense unless for people that think like you which does not come as a surprise though.

The statement you highlighted above clearly shows that you no know shame when desperately trying to make a point. Keep fooling yourself while imagining you are on top what you are discussing.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 12:41pm On Jan 30, 2007
Once again thank you.

Afam:

Accepting the results as totally correct or totally wrong does not make sense unless for people that think like you which does not come as a surprise though.

In statistics or generally really theres the concept of confidence intervals and confidence limits i.e. a result could lie at the 95% confidence interval meaning it has a possibility of a 5% error margin. It could also lie at 90% and undesirably at the 70% level, implying as the confidence interval falls, the error margins increases then the accuracy of the result reduces. With such high error margins such results amount to a nonsense estimation.

Given the problems expected from the conduct of a census a certain margin of error is expected but when the margin of error gets too high, it implies that the obtained results (census result as presented by NPC) lies far away from the actual results which is undesirable. When things are done properly a sample of those that stated they were not counted should be collected and also estimates of areas that had unrest should have been collected, in addition certain other samples from other estimators (e.g. UN estimates and certain other known world statistical agencies) are also considered then estimates of the actual results are arrived at. The confidence interval and and margin error expected are then stated.

Anyone could conduct a test really as long as it follows statistical principles, the results are always the same such results could be justified in real terms. When 10 independent agencies from Nigeria and outside estimate a population and arrive at the same results using different samples and scenerios, then it is could be concluded that the actual population lies within that results. Its a very complex process anyway its based on such test that some of us rejected the results and not stating that it was not "entirely correct" doctored or meaningful reason to disagree, the results just lie too far away from the actual result so it amounted to a "nonsense estimate".

@ Afam your quote.
"The statement you highlighted above clearly shows that you no know shame when desperately trying to make a point. Keep fooling yourself while imagining you are on top what you are discussing".

The above comments from you is quite unfortunate if thats the way you feel i have no sympathy. I would not give room to any form of provocation as suggested becos i would not degenerate or codescend to such a level and henceforth i would ignore you in this forum since it is your way of critically looking at issues. I wish you the best.

Being sarcastic and insulting are two different things. I could use generic words such as "some" or quote the person disagreeing with his statement in a simple manner but singling out someone with the word YOU and insulting the person in my opinion is barbaric and has no room in a civil society, i keep my distance from such individuals as their conduct and behaviour cannot be considered to be civil, its such behaviour thats responsible for the continued war and outrage in Africa. With a good command of English an individual could pass messages across in a very subtle but obvious and effective way.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2007
Buluti, are you a Demographer?? Or a statistician?? i love your explanation on confidence limit and error margin. So at what level of confidence are you asking us to reject Makama's census figures??
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2007
@Buluti,

I agree with you, ignoring me may be the best for you because you cannot stand people replying to you in kind.

You make derogatory remarks and when necessary you mask them and post them as veiled insults, on the other hand I leave no room for guesswork, I respond directly to individual post and try to throw back as much as I catch.

Some people are bold enough to say their minds while others prefer generalizing all in the name of playing games with words.

On your lecture on statistics and error margin, as Ishmeal asked you, could you tell the forum what error margin to apply on the NPC result? All these open ended statements do not add up, you seem to be siding every position on this issue and such inconsistency does not make sense.

The census result may not be exact (as a matter of fact it is an estimate) but I have not seen any reasonable statement to discard it totally, what is so difficult to understand in the statement above.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 6:22pm On Jan 30, 2007
one of the ways in which we can get a good estimate of nigeria's population figure is by carrying out a sample survey. I was taught in my Statistics class that samples provide very close estimate of the true value of the estimated population parameter; and that carrying out a 100% sampling (Census) on a population does not guarantee you getting close to the value of the parameter you are looking for because of so many errors which may occur, like error of omission, error of double counting etc. In order words carrying out a complete census has its own disadvantages, while carrying out a sample survey has its own advantages, one of which is the fact that the standard error of the estimated population parameter can be measured, computed and known with a stated level of confidence. So i suggest and advice that in future Nigerian government should embark on sample surveys rather than carrying out a complete census.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Sijien(m): 1:25am On Jan 31, 2007
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by NiteAngel(m): 1:32am On Jan 31, 2007
When you count the trees, cows and nomads it does add up!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 3:27am On Jan 31, 2007
see this new figure by hellbe, i would take time to analysis the figure later,   but i already notice it put the north more populated than the south ,  But it put a  reasonable figure for lagos,  see it  from kano more populated topic.

hellbe   Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria?
« #214 on: Yesterday at 08:45:53 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone sent this figure to me. He said this was the original figure that is brother works in NPC in abuja,  that it was the first result which was rejected by Alhaji S Makama. His brother told him that Alhaji only change the figure 3 hours to going to see he president.

Lagos 13,785,674
Kaduna 9,043,836
Oyo 8,947,383
Kano 8,158,394
Bauchi 5,096,533
Borno 5,075,494
Benue 5,043,964
Rivers 5,018,364
Ondo 4,964,864
Ogun 4,873,429
Anambra 4,639,264
Delta 4,492,711
Niger 4,274,901
Katsina 4,189,637
Osun 4,169,364
Imo 4,157,383
Plateau 4,073,562
Kogi 4,064,254
Adamawa 4,047,738
Edo 3,983,534
Akwa Ibom 3,958,424
Kwara 3,948,533
Jigawa 3,653,893
Enugu 3,578,733
Abia 3,463,474
C River 3,352,453
Zamfara 3,173,648
Sokoto 3,093,843
Kebbi 3,051,164
Taraba 3,036,372
Ekiti 2,573,748
Yobe 2,547,843
Gombe 2,536,746
Ebonyi 2,493,373
Nassarawa 2,362,647
Balyesa 2,274,734
Abuja 1,853,457

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PDP Rejects Presidential Election Results / Saraki Wears Made-In-Aba Clothes To Senate Session. Pics / Death: Abba Kyari’s Last Moments

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.