Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,280 members, 7,957,714 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:08 PM

Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (82349 Views)

Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG / Buhari Incapable Of Ruling A Democratic State, Has A Dark Past – Edwin Clark / Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by babasin(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2007
Nigeria1,

Fully supported
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 11:39pm On Jan 15, 2007
nigeria1:

No matter how you paint 419 , 419 is till 419, A thief is a thief, pen thief or arm robber,

Lagos is more populated than kano, and satellite picture have shown it, We should be talking on how Makawa should be arrested and not if the figure are correct.

And their is nothing that i know that says any state can not conduct its censu, It just says only NPC can conduct NATIONAL census, What the state need to do is go ahead and conduct their census and present it, With them running the names and picture of resident in a book . as long as you have name and picture that can be verified mr makawa can take his figure to his villages, that is enough prove for the court and Nigeria. This is the only way this state can defend democracy. If people cheat you and you let them go, they would come back and do it again. This is the time to stop the cheating. The state can create state ID like is done anywhere in the world in any democratic country, All the state need to do is create state ID and they would have their census. State in the USA and other country have access to inform of their resident , they all have resident card, that way they know who lives in their state, They can do it in the next one month, It is not hard to do.

Mr Makawa is a joke, from falsified the census figure, I can imagine how much he must of stolen from the commission, if any one have sure information of contract award please paste it on the internet. or email MAKAWAfraud@nigeriaONE.com we would send it to the EFCC this man need to be investigated. Bank account abroad , land he owns, how much he is worth after the census. If he lied about the census figure , he also must have lied about NPC account, If you work in a bank and you have access to sure thing please share it with Nigerian. It is our duty to defend Nigeria from men like Makawa.

Seconded Sir, in fact he should be sentenced to death by hanging if found guilty grin
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2007
you mean Makawa counted the whole nigeria himself haaa these northerns should stop counting us lie lie, we can count ourselves grin
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 3:19am On Jan 16, 2007
Lagos population 18 million.
http://www.nigeriaone.com/smf/index.php/topic,4023.0.html
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jan 16, 2007
Nigeriaone has declared it and so it must be true.  grin

Man you're taking this whole excercise too personal, calm down a little bit because it's of no use insulting Makawa and calling for wars.

@Afam and co., apparently the Lagos State Government recognizes that not every home is residential:

We have the satellite, the number of houses. The number of houses was about 4.5 million. Now we know in those houses there will be churches, secretariat, schools, mosques and companies. So let’s say it’s about 20 per cent, which is extremely high. So let’s say we have residence of about 2.5 million. Are you saying in each house there’s only 1.3 people are living there? In Lagos? When in Ajegunle, a house was an enumeration area. So there’s nothing to look at. Any sensible person will know this is nonsense.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by shango(m): 4:48am On Jan 16, 2007
anyone who believes the census data concerning Northern states is a fool. Plain and simple. I am glad alot of Nigerians arent as gullible and stupid as we think and can see through bullshit like Ishmael who talks about Hausa women giving birth to 10 children on average. That is just rubbish. Ismael, are you even Nigerian? Have you ever been to kaduna or kano or jos or zaria because what you have said in this thread is mostly just trash. I am glad people arent buying it. Even DOnzman doesnt believe your BS analysis and statistics.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 5:20am On Jan 16, 2007
here are figure when you use 1963 estimate to project the 2006 census,  using the former 19 state,

2006 census  2006 census(est from 1963)  different
Bauchi   7,030,344   5,984,122                  +1,046,222
Kaduna      11,859,140  10,222,876                  +1,636,264
Niger   3,950,249  2,742,722                   +1,207,527
Rivers   6,888,758  4,238,753                   +2,650,005

Cross River   6,809,174   8,726,845                  -1,917,671
Gongola 5,468,837   6,482,799                  -1,013,962
Imo   6,768,898   9,100,853                  -2,331,955
Ogun   3,728,098  4,464,746                   -736,648
Ondo   5,825,236  6,856,807                   -1,031,571
Oyo   9,015,124  12,965,599                  -3,950,475
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 7:29am On Jan 16, 2007
shango:

anyone who believes the census data concerning Northern states is a fool. Plain and simple. I am glad alot of Nigerians arent as gullible and stupid as we think and can see through bullshit like Ishmael who talks about Hausa women giving birth to 10 children on average. That is just rubbish. Ismael, are you even Nigerian? Have you ever been to kaduna or kano or jos or zaria because what you have said in this thread is mostly just trash. I am glad people arent buying it. Even DOnzman doesnt believe your BS analysis and statistics.

I've never been to kano before but I'm residing in kaduna presently, so watch and control your long tongue that makes you talk anyhow.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 11:35am On Jan 16, 2007
@Buluti,

I really don't like getting involved in discussions where sentiments and unnecessary bias are being played out without caution.

I am an Igbo man, Kano and Lagos states are states outside the South East, as a matter of fact I have more stake in Lagos state than in Kano state because I live and work in Lagos.

However, the issue on ground is the validity or otherwise of the census results.

Who do we believe? What do we base our decisions on? What parameters should we use? How verifiable are our approach to this?

It has been demonstrated here that sentiments, open ended statements or plain bias are prefered to facts, verifiable routes to finding the right answer.

The explanation that Lagos state will not release its results because it will be unconstitutional is a big fraud on the part of Lagos state for the following reasons.

1. If the results were never going to be released, why did the state use tax payers money to finance such a project?

2. Lagos state needs to have an accurate census result to be able to plan and carter for the people living in Lagos

3. Announcing its results is not the same thing as overturning the NPC results as NPC results is the one that gets passed into law.

4. Any state can embark on a census within the state to enable it plan.

It is strange that while you are willing to agree with the decision of Lagos state not to release the result, you are convinced that the one released by NPC is wrong even when there are no verifiable alternatives to get a better one.

I have also read on this thread where satellite pictures are referenced, I am a process engineer with real and practical experience with programming. Using google maps and other mapping tools to justify certain positions may be faulty because some of these images were taken even before 2000.

The sources of these images are well documented and anyone that can overlay images and write good programs can do what google did with goggle maps, so the most important thing here is the time the images were taken.

And even in the very unlikely event of getting access to images taken last year, it tells you nothing about the people living in a state or in a country as the primary aim of satellite imaging is not to count people.

@davidylan,

I do not know why you find it difficult to agree or disagree with people without your name calling. Twice you have refered to people that disagree with your claims and positions (that must be accepted or else, ) as apologists.

I expected you to give reasons why the census results should be rejected not making open ended statements and expecting people to agree with them or be damned.

I need not tell you that any insults from you will be responded to in kind without caution. Stick to the issues, make your points and leave people to make up their minds based on the information available.

You are not here to convince anyone, you cannot force people to agree with your positions on any matter for that matter.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by xopher: 12:18pm On Jan 16, 2007
Northern Nigeria is 4 times Larger than Southern Nigeria.

Kano State is 12 times larger than Lagos State.

Lagos State Population density is 11.5 times bigger than kano State.

I bet you Lagos state knows the figures are correct but just want to cause some confusion .

If Tinubu is sincere, let him release the Lagos state Census now.

The cenus tribunal will soon be constituted and any genuine error or problem will be sorted out there.

F.C.T claims of 6 million and Lagos ( comprisng Sango Otta, Akute, Agbara, Ibafo, Ogijo e.t.c which are territorially Ogun State.) claims of 13 or 15 or 18 or 18.9 million is pure fabrication unless proven otherwise.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Mariory(m): 12:52pm On Jan 16, 2007
Would you please stop talking about land mass. The important points here are standard of living, fertility and mortality rates. I won't even go into economic and commercial aspects. According to the census figures Kano has experienced high fertility rates together with low mortality rates. While during the same 15 year period, Lagos has experienced low fertility rate and high mortality rate. Land mass is not the issue. Those results go against all forms of logic as regards to human settlements from the dawn of civilization.
I challenge you to look at any other country to find were the the most concentrations of people are located. You will see a pattern without a doubt. That same pattern has existed as far back as history goes.
They didn't think those doctored figures through properly. If they wanted to relase false figures, they should have come up with more acceptable figures.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 1:35pm On Jan 16, 2007
If releasing the results of the parallel census Lagos state conducted is unconstitutional then i believe carrying out that census in the first place was unconstitutional too. Make we hear better excuse i beg.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by gidig(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2007
I have heard some people said something about some part of  Ogun state being counted as Lagos and that it may have accounted for the 'reduced' figure that Lagos has but if that is the case, the Ogun state government should not be complaining about the figure 3million plus figure given it. Either way, people living on the fringes of Lagos (Ojodu, Akute,Abule Egba)were not counted for either Ogun State or Lagos.

The census figure is laughable!It stands logic on its head.IT is a determined effort to prove that there are more people in certain parts of these countries than other parts. It was a ruse not intelligently carried out.

Those talking about the mortality rate  are either not living in Nigeria or choose to ignore the realities of our existence in this country. mortality rate is not lower up north with its harsh climate and low literacy rate than the south.It is just a fact!

THis census figure is  scandal that will embarrasss this government more than any other government in the past. People- and that includes the Lagos State governemnt- are waiting for the breakdown, which may not be realease until after the general elections.

the NPC will now tell us where those figures came from.Technology can now make these facts verifiable.It is not like in the 60s.Times have changed.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 16, 2007
Afam:

@davidylan,

I do not know why you find it difficult to agree or disagree with people without your name calling. Twice you have refered to people that disagree with your claims and positions (that must be accepted or else, ) as apologists.

I expected you to give reasons why the census results should be rejected not making open ended statements and expecting people to agree with them or be damned.

I need not tell you that any insults from you will be responded to in kind without caution. Stick to the issues, make your points and leave people to make up their minds based on the information available.

You are not here to convince anyone, you cannot force people to agree with your positions on any matter for that matter.

@ Afam

1. You are not the only person on this thread. If you notice i stopped responding to comments from you a long time ago except where you specifically mention my name. Please pass on when you see my posts, they in no way are in reference to anything that your close minded personality has written. When i talk about apologists, it is no name calling and is in reference to others who are here to debate not ram false information gleaned from 10mins on CNN!

2. When you make the last 2 statements i highlighted, i'm sure i'm not the only one amused at your hypocrisy! That advice would have been much better used if you applied it to yourself.

Like i said earlier, i stopped noticing your posts a while back. You can keep the insults up. They show you up for who you really are!
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 3:50pm On Jan 16, 2007
All well and good, the advice still remains valid that only when you are finding it hard to make a point do you engage in name calling, maybe you are still too young and immature to understand what you do or say.

As you rightly reproduced my post, the reference was to people you label apologists, maybe you are too confused to notice that.

Hopefully, time may help you.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by saddik(m): 3:51pm On Jan 16, 2007
why people argue blindly, i dont know.

NPC did there job and the result is out,
Kano is more populated then Lagos, so what? No big deal.
I wonder y all these people talking like that cant be, lagos has sea port, lagos has this, n that, shit. shut up.

Go to Kano and drive round, u will understand that NPC should have even counted, they should just project.

I live in lagos and in Kano as well. i can tell u guys well.

Kano is too populated.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Mariory(m): 3:56pm On Jan 16, 2007
saddik:

I wonder y all these people talking like that can't be, lagos has sea port, lagos has this, n that, shit. shut up.

No you STFU.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by xopher: 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2007
Does anyone think that if Zamfara Governor has information that the state was undercounted by N.P.C., he will not release the figures?

Tinubu will be a coward if he does not release those figures and be ready to back them up @ the Census Tribunal.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 7:01pm On Jan 16, 2007
Is it not funny that a state that conducted a parallel census working in teams with the NPC officials has refused to release its own results while rejecting the ones released by NPC?

If it is unconstitutional for Lagos to announce the results of the census it conducted in Lagos then it is unconstitutional for it to even reject the ones released by NPC for daring to go against the Federal government.

But of course, we should believe anyone that rejects the census results even if no single verifiable reason is given to support such a position.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 7:58pm On Jan 16, 2007
@ Afam here we go again you still are calling demography and migration theories sentiments and biased, am not an engineer but in the social sciences when a pattern is established over different samples it is construed as a theory, the higher the price the lower the quantity demanded is sentiments: is it? and also its like differentiating 7x squared getting 14x and calling it sentiments, when something can be empirically verified it can be regarded as a theory not sentiments. I really dont know what you call verifiable reason? the onus is the other way around, the NPC is the one that should be proving not the critics.

The issue of satelite images is quite clear, its limitations are there for all to see, it can only guide, but in my opinion it would be very useful in this dispute and in the census tribunal (if it will hold) considering this "land mass" issue cos given x houses and the size of these houses comparing to the population of the area, outrageous discrepancies would be noticed easily.

I dont know why Lagos organised a census being aware of the illegality thats a question that should be directed at Tinubu, then again it is the federal question really, states should be allowed more autonomy, we need to ammend this our constitution. I dont think its unconstitutional to reject the results its a democracy there is a process for disputes which should be the tribunal.

The whole hullabaloo of the census and its results is becos we dont run a true federation, everyone depends on allocations from the centre thereby people try to manipulate and cling to power unnecessarily, if everyone had control of its resources why should i bother how many you are, be 1 trillon for all i care.

In my opinion the Lagos census is all politics (and for clarifications i dont support the act i.e. keeping the results and holding it in the first place) but in an election year it makes good politics. First not to be involved in acts of inconstitutionality and holding back waiting for the breakdown from NPC, who knows in our country bargains might take place whereby the PDP would let Lagos be in exchange for keeping quiet. (Dont kill me its just a conspiracy theory am cooking), who knows really?? It might be a weapon in Tinubu's hands for rigging. (Dont quote me oh just conspiracy theories)

Come to think of it how will this census tribunal be established and who would carry out the debates if the govt nominates the participant it would lead to credibilty issues, the question of a fair process arises.

I guess we can go on and on but the beauty is that we all have our positions.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 16, 2007
This is one of my first few posts on this site, me being a recent entrant (graduating from visitor status, 2 member status!). Permit me to add my piece, hoping that the sharks in here wouldn't gobble me up, b4 I do! This has been sume hated up discussion, hope tempers have calmed down now.Lol. I have lived in Lagos, and have been living in Kano for about 2 years now. Why I'm more wont to think that (for simple bias) Lagos should be regarded as being more populated than Kano, what I see here, where I reside, erodes that thinking. Lagos is one big mega city with millions of people. Kano City is way larger than Lagos, with a good number of people as well. If NPC had simply regarded Kano City vs Lagos city, I'm most certain that their recent verdict would come out the other way round. But consider that besides the 6 or so Local Govt Areas that make up Kano City, there are 38 other LGA's equally habited by millions of people - bear in mind that the average hausa man (in line with the Islamic injunction) averages 4 wives, and a host of offspring.This transcends beyond class - a vast majority, extreme majority if I may add, comprising the rich, middle class and poor within and outside the metropolis is polygamous. It is not unusual to see an individual (a man) with 4 wives and as many as 30 kids!

This happens within the metropolis, how much more in the villages. Thats where the millions come from, believe me. Don't forget that it doubles as the commercial centre of the entire North (even Kaduna, as liberal as it is) doesn't equal that status. Just as most of the South, West and sumtimes the North swarms to Lagos, so does the rest of the entire North, swarm to Kano. Well, my little piece, as someone who's lived in both cities.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 9:27pm On Jan 16, 2007
sexyme thanx for your piece and wellcome to nairaland, you will get used to the sharks soon and you will become one yourseld grin hope at the end of the day u still remain sexy, cheesy

The points you have made here has been raised by my friends (Afam & co) who are in support of the results, but you also tend to ignore that Lagos City is not Ikeja, Victoria Island and Ikoyi, Alaba alone. It has Ikorodu, Agege, Ajegunle, Oshodi etc. My point is that it also has a lot of populalated logal govts.

The question which i have been trying to answer is that those local govt scattered around the large land mass in Kano how populated are they??, please note these are still purely rural settlements with its attendant pecularities and problems. What most of you ignore is that lagos also has villages, Badagry etc but they are more developed and hence theres an attraction for more non-indigenes to reside. So the arguement goes, where you have pure natives in Kano but a mixture of natives and non-indigences in Lagos, which is likely to be more populated.

The ethnic question was removed from the census well in the Nigeria case a good thing but that would have answered this issue, are you saying a place habitated by majorly natives is more populated than a cosmopolitan city, it is most unlikely.

Populations are attracted to cities for various reasons and Lagos is high on those reasons i have stated these variables earlier such as diseases (presence or absence), religion, attitudes of the natives.i.e tolerance, then considering mortality and fertility rates you can postulate the populations and make comparison.

I still state that this issue of polygamy is not synanymous with the north alone it is an African thing, the difference is that the north keeps the whole family in one place, but down south we are scattered around, and also the low income would tend to have more kids in all samples so that alone cannot tilt the arguement.

All said the discussion is bigger than Lagos, Kano that was just a focal point to analysing the whole results see Katsina, Zamfara and the likes it doesnt meet logic. If these places were these populated the infrastructures wouldnt cope, the economic activity would be higher, the northerners wont need to come to Lagos and do nightguards and opening small kiosk, cos there would be no need.

Thanx again and be ready to be a "sharkress" , grin
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 1:05am On Jan 17, 2007
I would first of say mr Makawa was not well qualified to conduct a census. I don't care what degree he as,  Is appointment was not based on merit.

2 . Some said that Lagos have not released their census , Lagos have 18 million, which is more reliable than MR makawa figure. I was born in lagos and i know lagos very well. And i know from maths that lagos is about 18 million,
Why do I agree with the lagos figure,  because I know that their are more than 7000 street in lagos,  check NigeriaONE to see the list of street in Lagos,  and apart from Victoria Island and Ikoyi areas,  most Nigerian in Lagos live in face me and face you,  only 5% don't not,    So what I would do is also to say that the number of street with no face me and face house and govt building is 10%.

. So 90% of 7000 is 6300 street were you have face you and face me,  ok, now I remove 300 street again,  and use 6000 street to do my calculation,

In each house in the face you and face me house,  they have at least 10 room,   with one man and wife and 3 children = total housewhole is 5,

Now each street have at least 50 house,  In most case more than 50 and have storey building of many level,  I would assume that lagos do not have any storey build in this calculation,  which is not possible,

to get the population of a single house ,  5 per room  X 10 room, = 50 persons per house,

On a street   50 houses per street,  X 50 persons per house give you= 2500 person per street,

To get the total of lagos 6000 street X 2500 = 15,000,000  Dont not forget( some houses have story building),    This is the minimum population Lagos can be,

NOTE: This calculation is based on no storey building in Lagos and 1000 street do not have human living in them, 

So you can see that Mr Makawa as to go jail for trying to cheat the people of Lagos and Nigeria, 

3,  Someone ask me why is this so passionate to me,  Here is  my answer I have family in Nigeria,  And I have seen the satellite figure,  If lagos need help,  I would help them get all the satellite picture of Nigeria and even get all the satellite picture of Kano and the kano state govt can have a representative if they want,  and Mr Makawa NPC can have a representative, 

And from the satellite picture ,  I would extract all the villages, towns, and cities in Kano state,  from the satellite picture and create a puzzle like program ,  And every village, Town and cities would be pasted into lagos and their would still be space,  I throw this challenge to MR Makawa,  And his NPC,  I would write the software and do the coding  while they are there,   And least if they see how many times all the villages, town and cities in Kano state( NOT KANO CITY) can fit into Lagos state,  Mr Makawa would shut up, 
And I am willing to do that for all the state to show that Mr Makawa is a lier. It is people like Mr Makawa that have cause people from other part of Nigeria to hate the fulani/hausa tribal because they want to cheat other to create superior group in Nigeria by false means,

Another reason why? is that I can see something that some of you can not see, as an engineer,  the maths involve,  I can see thing that president Obasanjo can not see,  you see if they allow Mr Makawa to get away with this crime,  In 2016 , the census would put the fulani/hausa as 50% of Nigeria,  and I read president Obasanjo saying no one can break Nigeria,  I beg to disagree with the president,  It is possible,  There is a limit you can cheat people and at a point,  when they react,  they would kill their fear,  And would destroy anything in their way, 

And I know that 90% of Nigerian abroad are from the south with a total net asset of over $ 500 Billion ( based on $250,000 per every family living abroad). So you can imagine the power people would play in the break,  at least western union shows we send $2.3 billion dollar home last year. Not to talk of technology skill we have,  It would take less than 24 hours to kill everybody in kano,  by 5 person with the right skill mr president,   It would take less than 500 people to kill everybody in the north,  it is the new age military skill which nigeria military do not have. With money and skill, it is possible sir.

President Obasanjo, should know that if dada can not fight, dada have brothers that can.

If we want to develop like other country people like Mr makawa who believed that fraud is the only way most give way,  if not all effort would be wasted,   the only way nigeria can success is to start telling the truth,  this is the only way we would develop,  Without any Accurate census Nigeria would not develop,  Why, Accurate census form the base for databased  to be use by banks , engineering,  even buy a house. without good census,  it is a waste,  buy a car on credit,  have a better tax system,  GET YOUR CENSUS RIGHT AND the sky is the limite for Nigeria,   but all this have mr makawa destroy.

here are figure when you use 1963 estimate to project the 2006 census,  using the former 19 state,

2006 census  2006 census(est from 1963)  different
Bauchi   7,030,344     5,984,122                  +1,046,222
Kaduna   11,859,140  10,222,876                  +1,636,264
Niger   3,950,249    2,742,722                   +1,207,527
Rivers   6,888,758    4,238,753                   +2,650,005

Cross River 6,809,174   8,726,845                  -1,917,671
Gongola    5,468,837   6,482,799                  -1,013,962
Imo   6,768,898   9,100,853                  -2,331,955
Ogun   3,728,098  4,464,746                   -736,648
Ondo   5,825,236  6,856,807                   -1,031,571
Oyo   9,015,124  12,965,599                  -3,950,475
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:29am On Jan 17, 2007
I would first of say mr Makawa was not well qualified to conduct a census. I don't care was degree he as, Is appointment was not based on merit.

i didnt know mr makawa went around to count people, i thought he worked with several others

Borishade is well qualified to be an avaition minister, fani kayode is equally qualified cheesy

what the point of the census? to know who is "stronger" than who? or who will get more money,ego,owo kudi grin
money and power hmm

Lagos have 18 million, which is more reliable than MR makawa figure. I was born in lagos and i know lagos very well. And i know from maths that lagos is about 18 million
where were you when they started dashing out money for training and all those logistic contracts,why didnt you tell them not to bother as your team have a more reliable method of counting the people in nigeria?
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 1:32am On Jan 17, 2007
But  were the several others he worked with also involve in the fraud.

"logistic contracts"  you make me laugh, I do not give bride , so mr Makawa would never give a person like me contracts, because i would expose fraud. Did you think mr makawa had it in his mind to count Nigeria,  NO. it was just his interest in contract,  what a shame.

And I notice that Mr Makawa now have agent on this site,  doing his work, they reply in less than 2 minute putting  praise to fraud.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:38am On Jan 17, 2007
Another reason why? is that I can see something that some of you can not see, as an engineer,  the maths involve,  I can see thing that president Obasanjo can not see,  you see if they allow Mr Makawa to get away with this crime,  In 2016 , the census would put the fulani/hausa as 50% of Nigeria,  and I read president Obasanjo saying no one can break Nigeria,  I beg to disagree with the president,  It is possible,  There is a limit you can cheat people and at a point,  when they react,  they would kill their fear,  And would destroy anything in their way,  

bloody hell you can see a lot mate

"If they allow mr makawa. .  ." are you not part of "they" actually if you allow them to get away with this you should be held responsible for not speaking up since you have all the mathematical calculations as a top engineer

It would take less than 500 people to kill everybody in the north,  it is the new age military skill which nigeria military do not have. With money and skill, it is possible sir.

bloody hell!
the south has always had the money and skills but they're still being "cheated"  undecided
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:42am On Jan 17, 2007
nigeria1:

But  were the several others he worked with also involve in the fraud.

"logistic contracts"  you make me laugh, I do not give bride , so mr Makawa would never give a person like me contracts, because i would expose fraud. Did you think mr makawa had it in his mind to count Nigeria,  NO. it was just his interest in contract,  what a shame.

And I notice that Mr Makawa now have agent on this site,  doing his work, they reply in less than 2 minute putting  praise to fraud.
yes now im getting paid for every alphabet i write about mr makawa  grin

the several others that worked with mr makawa, are they from the same village

between im not I'm anyway saying the census were accurate,just having fun with the underlying reason why the census is soo controvertial  wink
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 1:54am On Jan 17, 2007
because most people do not want break up,  but if it is the last option when cheating do not stop. people would take their life into their hand,  If you assume only president Obasanjo is the only southerner, then you wrong, 

Who worked in census. ask those who worked for NPC apart from Makawa, no other person knew what the figure was, at least MR PRESIDENT claim so, So no other person was there when mr makawa was make up the figure, Let mr makawa name 2 people that where there when he falsified the figures,

On why I was not involve, you only get involve if you are invited by them. you don't push yourself. Can we do it,  You must be joking,  Do you think it is the shakabula that your Nigeria army have that would stop technology. we do not have a strong army,  them don eat all military money finish,   during IBB and abacha govt,  Ask any military what they know apart from bull poor citizen,   War nowadays  does not need you to shoot gun. Nigeria army can only shoot gun,  I know what is on my mind,  And i would not tell over the internet,   It would kill everybody in kano in 24 hrs,  I donot have time , have a nice days.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:04am On Jan 17, 2007
@Nigeriaone

You my friend are hilarious, all this talk over census?. . .The North have always been counted as more populous and they aren't any more better off than the South. No need to kill over these results, work hard and you'll reap whatever benefits you deserve.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by nigeria1: 4:55am On Jan 17, 2007
Nobody is killing anyone, I discuss about the president statement that no one can break Nigeria up,  that can not be true, Any group determine to break up Nigeria, can do it,  I was only using kano as an example,  War now adays is planning and you can do it,
You see after seen the satellite picture and I noticed that most of the figure claim for the north are false,  Have you ever seen where falsified human figure added to census  by makawa would stand up from his pen or pencile to fight a war,  Invisible Makawa fake people do not fight war. If the south want to leave Nigeria, the north can not stop it. The way nigeria is set up from satellite picture,  there is not way,  They need to cross the river Niger and Benue to do that,  You just shut anything coming from other side and anyone,  And be heartless and not allow anyone from the north to come in,  I pity all those living in the north,    The north is land lock,  Let not discuss war, but peace and how Nigeria can develop and get rid of men like mr makawa,  I am for peace.

Why the need for census is so important,  Planning, even military planning, 

With a good census we can introduce good system, 
the federal govt can introduce good tax system,  You just like Osun claim it has 3.4 million , the federal govt can collect person tax through the states,  by deducting citizen tax from state allocation,  I am just using osun as example,  If Osun state is collecting 12 billion from the federal , and the citizen TAX is say 1,000 for every one , no matter your income, 

So 3,400, 000  X 1,000  =  3,400,000,000  So all state can pay into the federal,  State with more people would pay more and the money can be used to run the federation.
And personal tax should be deducted from state allocation and not collected through tax board,  this way the state would go after people in their state to get the money back.

It is just many thing I can't discuss over the internet that good census can help us do,  from banking to electricity to building , telephone, hospital and many thing,  It makes planning better.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 7:52am On Jan 17, 2007
hey, NPC's Boss name is Samaila Makama and not Makawa please. And those that are talking about breaking up the country are just kidding. How you want take start am?? I would be happy if that can happen soonest.
Re: Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? by xopher: 11:13am On Jan 17, 2007
Below is an opinion on criticism against 1991 census figures.

Some of the following may be relevant to the 2006 census figures.

IMHO the challenge for us Nigerians is to make our population an asset and not a burden.

We may also need to control our population to make economic growth realistic just like the President said in his speech after the council of state approved the census figures.

http://www.gamji.com/haruna/haruna152.htm

How Critics Got the Census ’91 Wrong

By

Dr. Abba Lawan

Forwarded By Mohammed Haruna

kudugana@yahoo.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Note: The article below was first published in the defunct Citizen on May 18, 1992. We reproduced it here against the background of the forthcoming census in March and because it is relevant to the politics of census today as it was 1992.

Editor

The 1991 Census provisional results released in March have, as expected, continued to generate comments and criticisms in the media. Most of the criticisms have been on the regional distribution of the population. The critics, including Bola Ige, Ebenezer Babatope, Frederick Fasheun, Pini Jason and The Guardian in an editorial (28/4/92), claim that according to what they call, “principles of geography and demography”, the further one is from a tropical rain forest environment, the fewer the number of persons that should be found. Based on their reasoning, states such as Kano, Sokoto, Bauchi and Kaduna, in the “desert, agricultural, rural” north should have returned smaller populations than states in the “forest, industrial, urban” south.

Let us start by explaining some concepts that appear confusing to Bola Ige and Co: There is no desert zone in Nigeria. Apart from Southern Nigerian rain forest, we have three gradations of grasslands in the North. Furthermore, population size is a different concept from population density. Size refers to total number of persons in a territory or region. Density relates to number of persons to an area. Specifically, density of population is the number of persons per square mile or kilometer. The 1991 Census figures reveal that the South, a smaller physical area – one quarter of the country – is more densely populated than the north. The north, three-quarters of the total land area, has a larger population but lower density than the south. The concentration of people in a small area, such as Lagos State, because of visibility, falsely suggests, like a mirage, a very large population relative to the other less dense areas. Thus, simply because the south is more densely populated than the north it does not follow that it should automatically have a larger population.

It is also wrong to say, as Census ’91 critics argue, that a high level of urbanization in an area (that is, the percentage of population living in urban areas), necessarily implies that the region will have a larger population than a more rural one. Put in other words, just because a region or territory has a high percentage of its population living in urban areas, it should not necessarily have more people than a largely rural one. For example, the fact that USA is more urbanized does not give it a large total population than China that is largely rural. So also Canada versus Nigeria or Singapore versus India. Therefore, to argue, as the Guardian and other critics do, that the more urban south should have, because of that urbanization, a larger population than a more rural north is incorrect. The same is also true of the relationship between electricity consumption, level of literacy, standard of living and total population size.

Several Factors determine the distribution of population of a given territory or region; any student of population geography or demography knows this. It is incorrect to say that a single factor – what critics call “geography” – determines whether or not, and how many, people live in an area. In fact, factors such as duration of human habitation, past stability or exposure to wars and slavery, soil, prevalence of diseases, location of economic activities could be, and most often are, more critical than “geography”. I discuss below how some of these factors influence the distribution of population.

Let us start with the physical, geographic factor. Bola Ige et al believe that a tropical rain forest environment, independent or other factors is more favorable to human survival or existence than grassland. How true is this belief? A comparison of maps of the distribution of worlds population with that of vegetation reveals a most significant pattern: Universally, tropical rain forest areas, as found in southern Nigeria, are densely settled: in fact, a notable geographer Clark (1975:230) confirms that for Africa as a whole, “the most densely populated climate zones tend to be those of the savanna (as found in northern Nigeria) and the Mediterranean climates where there is a marked division into rainy and dry seasons. Except in certain areas where powerful cultures have evolved, most forest have been associated with low population densities, not only because of the thickness of vegetation and the difficulties of clearing but also of diminution of soil fertility after clearance and high incidence of diseases as well as limitations of human technology to tackle such environment.” Beaujeu-Garnier (1978), another population geographer, describes this region as “impenetrable, indestructible, and hostile in every way to human life. The soil can only support mere and infrequent harvests. Man is a marginal being, menaced and infested”. That is the main reason the Amazon forest of Brazil, Zambia, Congo, Cameroon, Gabon etc are sparsely populated. The same environmental condition among others makes forest areas of southern Nigeria not produce much of the food being consumed there. In contrast, northern Nigeria, the territory considered by The Guardian and Co. as inhospitable, is in fact the place which provides, for man, at the existence level of peasant technology, the essential for survival: food. The Guinea, Sudan and Sahel zones, though the driest parts of the country, have the highest agricultural input in the land: their cereals, tubers and livestock feed the nation. That is why agriculture in this country is essentially northern Nigerian.

Thus, if one relies only on geographic factor, then the population figures returned by Census ’91 for the rest of southern Nigeria could not have been plausible. They would have been highly suspect. Luckily, other factors are more significant in determining the distribution of population. One of such factors is the duration of human habitation in an area – what Beaujeu-Garnier calls “age of peopling”. According to her, “populations living in the same place for a long time, even though they may develop but slowly, will end by becoming more and more numerous… A population with its roots in the remote past has a tendency to adapt itself very closely to the natural environment”. Thus, one would expect – and Census ’91 figures reveal – populations to be large and dense where ancient polities existed. Specifically, regions where Kanem – Borno and Hausa kingdoms in the north, Yoruba states in the West and village societies of Igboland were located in the past are today areas of large populations. I need to emphasize here that the oldest and largest polities that existed in what is now Nigeria were located in Northern Nigeria, in the grassland belt. The people of such areas as mentioned above have continued to remain in their “home-lands” despite the vicissitudes of physical environment such as diminished soil fertility (as in Yoruba and Ibo lands) and droughts (as in Hausa and Borno lands). The populations have become territorially immobile.

An effective political organization, as found in those ancient kingdoms, ensured a peaceful and secure environment free from enslavement. That was necessary for agriculture, for the development of commerce and manufacturing for general economic prosperity. In such environment therefore, population grew. In contrast, areas exposed to chronic instability, to wars and slave aiding, were sparsely populated and are today a veritable reminder of past human condition. This is why the middle belt is thinly populated.

Economic attractiveness, including presence of commercial and industrial activities is another factor that explains population distribution. Areas of intense economic activities usually attract migrations from, especially, neighboring, less endowed territory. It is one of the factors put forward by some critics to support the thesis of larger southern population. Yes, a coastal strip of Nigeria is a zone of intense economic activities: that is mainly Lagos, which is the premier commercial and industrial centre in the country and which attracts the largest migrants from all over the country. Other coastal areas do not offer the same opportunities and, are, therefore, not attractive destinations for a large scale migration especially of people from northern Nigeria. In addition, the claim that any state in the south other than Lagos is industrial is false. Furthermore, it is not the coast alone that is characterized by intense economic activities. Kano, (and a larger Kano – Kaduna axis) in northern Nigeria is the second most important economic zone in the country. And, on the whole, the north has become over the years, a more attractive destination for southern Nigerians.

There are other equally important factors including prevalence of diseases, soil, etc that, together with those discussed above, explain the distribution of the population of any given area.

Let me as a footnote talk about Kano. Southern Nigerians, who have never ventured outside their “moist forest” enclaves, often wonder why Kano in the grasslands should have large population. They should now be enlightened. Kano State sits on most agriculturally productive part of this country. And as a scholar of this region, Mortimore (1972) points out, “Kano has been a centre of power in Hausa land for more than 1000 years, a factor which has enabled a large sedentary population to grow in relative security. Kano City was (and continues to be) a centre of commerce and manufacturing and enjoyed a close economic relationship with its rural environs”. Economic prosperity, a productive agricultural sector, commerce and manufacturing were conducive to early large population. Today, Kano is the largest and significant city in savannah Africa, drawing migrants from far and near. It should therefore be no surprise that Kano is the second most populous state in the country.

In the light of our preceding discussions, how plausible are Census ’91 results which shows a slight northern Nigeria numerical superiority? The results are, contrary to what the critics say, quite consistent with geographical, demographic and historical expectations. Knowledgeable individuals such as Sir Adetokumbo Ademola, and organization such as the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA) are satisfied with them.

An assumed anomaly here and there, as in case of former Oyo State, should not detract from the validity of the overall result. To Bola Ige and Co I say, put sentiments aside. Give us, if you have any, rational, scientific reasons why Census ’91 results are incorrect. Many of you are lawyers and you have demographer friends. Go to the tribunal.

Dr. Abba Lawan , a demographer, writes from Kano.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ex-NSA Dasuki's House In Kaduna? (photos) / 'Policeman Jacked & Punched Me' - Dino Melaye Shares Videos, Photos / Senator Dino Melaye Sent To Prison By Lokoja Court (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.