Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,075 members, 7,825,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

What Are Your Views On Divorce? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are Your Views On Divorce? (13916 Views)

Your Views On This Pls. / Pastor Chris' Daughter Rejects Him, Supports Mums On Divorce / Help Needed On Divorce Procedure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Lolyda(f): 8:34am On Mar 16, 2006
I think it only affects d children
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by adexway(m): 1:30pm On Mar 16, 2006
Divorce?
Too ugly to think of.
Is it the consequences- to the parents, then basically to the CHILDREN.
I don't pray or wish for one even when all isn't getting fine.
It's better you wait patiently before going into marriage if for the sake of the children you gonna have.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Free(f): 4:30pm On Mar 16, 2006
well i think in some situations divorces are needed
its true it affects the children but you cant keep living under the same roof with you spouse if
ya'll aint happy.there are certain things that cannot be worked out
, when theres abuse, adultery, divorce straight.!!!!!! is something that needs to happen
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Idekeson(m): 10:51pm On Mar 17, 2006
Divorce is the God-sent insurance into the unpredictable world of marriage.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Dupsybaby(f): 5:54pm On Mar 18, 2006
SURE cheesy sad but cool
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Chief2B(m): 4:15am On Mar 20, 2006
Sometimes a marriage can go bad. Why stay in a unhappy and potentially health ruining marraige? I have been married 3 times. The first marriage ended when I can home early from work and found about 4 kilos of marijuana sitting on my kitchen table. While I was working in a State Government job my wife decided to deal drugs while I was out of town. Now, would you stay in the marriage knowing that you could possibly be facing a prison term?
The second marriage ended after 8 years. If a person says that a man can not get abused in a marriage they are wrong. I suffered not physical abuse but mental abuse. I worked 2 jobs just to put my wife through college. When she got her degree it seemed that she had no use for me anymore. She refused to spend anytime with me, sex was out of the question. I'm a neat freak, so when I would come home after work, the house was totally trashed. She didn't care, she knew I would be cleaning it up. So after working 12 hours, I would be up another 6 hours cleaning, doing laundry etc. After about 2 years I had enough and got divorced.
I am now married to the most wonderful woman. We spend time together, we share in all the household duties, she supports me and I support her.
So yes, I agree in divorce because why stay in a crappy marriage when both could be happy with a divorce.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 11:03am On Mar 21, 2006
Chief2B:

Sometimes a marriage can go bad. Why stay in a unhappy and potentially health ruining marraige? I have been married 3 times. The first marriage ended when I can home early from work and found about 4 kilos of marijuana sitting on my kitchen table. While I was working in a State Government job my wife decided to deal drugs while I was out of town. Now, would you stay in the marriage knowing that you could possibly be facing a prison term?
The second marriage ended after 8 years. If a person says that a man can not get abused in a marriage they are wrong. I suffered not physical abuse but mental abuse. I worked 2 jobs just to put my wife through college. When she got her degree it seemed that she had no use for me anymore. She refused to spend anytime with me, sex was out of the question. I'm a neat freak, so when I would come home after work, the house was totally trashed. She didn't care, she knew I would be cleaning it up. So after working 12 hours, I would be up another 6 hours cleaning, doing laundry etc. After about 2 years I had enough and got divorced.
I am now married to the most wonderful woman. We spend time together, we share in all the household duties, she supports me and I support her.
So yes, I agree in divorce because why stay in a crappy marriage when both could be happy with a divorce.

Now we are dealing with a man. Interesting.

But Chief2b, are you a Christian? It would be very difficult to join issues with you on this one if you're not. But if you are, then, a lot needs to be done on your part. So, I will reason with you with the assumption that you're a Christian.

Wife No 1.
Your true, original + real wife:
You're hiding something from us here. When you cajoled, dated, loved and eventually married this woman, was she doing drugs at that time? Did anyone forced you to marry the woman at that time? Did you not promise to love, care and cherish her until death part you both? Why is it that it was the time she needed you most (doing drugs) that you decided to leave her? You were not loving and caring. And[b] her blood might be required from you[/b] on the judgement day.

You remind me of Bobby Brown, who's filed for divorce against Whitney Houston because of her present predicament, which he, by his actions, caused this lovely woman.

You'd better go back to this woman and take her back.

The woman you're staying with now is not your wife. Please leave her now because you're preventing another man from getting his blessing. And you must release her to go and meet her real husband.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by nawah(f): 1:03pm On Mar 21, 2006
My dear Ono you must be some kind of sadist that delights in other peoples pain.-
Chief has after a long jourmney found true love and happiness and that means nothing
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 5:32pm On Mar 21, 2006
Madam Nawah, there's really nothing painful in this thing o. And I'm not a sadist.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by nawah(f): 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2006
Oga Ono it is clear that you have never had such terrible experiences.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 8:05am On Mar 22, 2006
It's not clear at all. My dad has beaten my mum in time past. And I'm a key witness. That's why I'm against it. He gave his life to Christ and all that beating stopped.

Because my mum got beaten by my dad did not make her leave home. She stayed and prayed for his salvation. My mum is a Godly woman and I'm very proud of her. My dad went to be with the Lord in 2004, at the ripe age of 79years. After his salvation, he became the greatest dad in the world for me and my brothers and sisters.

The message here is that no matter what you are passing through in your marriage, you have no excuse to want to leave your spouse. You are in thesame boat and you've got to swim or sink together if that boat capsizes. Except you're not married to that man/woman, you cannot leave him/her.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Dupsybaby(f): 5:56pm On Mar 22, 2006
You'd better go back to this woman and take her back.

The woman you're staying with now is not your wife.Pls leave her because you are preventing another man from getting his blessings. And you must release her to go and meet her real husband
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ono na wa for you o, haba who are you to declare chief2B as a sinner,and then to pass judgement saying the woman he is with now is not his wife,should go back to his first wife with all that command.
Think am missing something ,when were you appointed God on earth?
You sure derive pleasure in reminding people of their forgotten painful past.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by chinani(f): 1:54am On Mar 23, 2006
@ ono

Are [i]you [/i]married
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Chief2B(m): 6:56am On Mar 23, 2006
@ ono

No, I am not a Christian. My State job was that I was a supervisor at Angola State Prison. Here I was "guarding" the same people that my wife had become. If they had raided my house with the drugs there, I would have been incarcerated in the same place where I was working. Knowing this, do you think that she really cared for me by putting me into a situation such as this?
When she got so deep into the drugs and refused help, the woman that I knew, in my eye, had died. Friends came to my and told me that while I was out of town, for up to 2 weeks at a time, she was cheating on me. Does that sound like she really cared for me?
Yes, I loved and cared for the woman that I married, not the woman that she eventually became.
No man or woman should be commited to a life of misery in an unhappy marriage.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 12:07pm On Mar 23, 2006
@chinani,
I'm happily married. And I know the feeling.

@dupe,
I'm not God. Maybe you need to read my earlier entries on this divorce matter. And remember, the present is the key to the past

@chief2b,
You're not a christian, so, my reasoning does not apply to you. Goodluck. But be reminded that you turned that woman to a drug addict. Just the way Bobby Brown turned Whitney Houston to one and is trying to dump her now.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 12:56pm On Mar 23, 2006
I will tell you all a true life story here.

I know a Baptist pastor who's currently into soul winning activities via sending encouraging words to people by e-mail. I receive his words of encouragement daily and have been better for it.

According to one of his mails to us, late last year, he got married to the woman of his dreams some years back.  A very beatiful and loving woman.He wasn't a pastor when they got married. But after a couple of years, a strange ailment from nowhere brought this woman down. This woman woman was diagnosed with osteoporosis - a very chronic and devastating disease of the bones typical among the women folks in the US. She was dying. Her once beautiful and flowing hair started falling off, she lost weight. It was a terrible experience for this man.

But, all throught the years, with love and care for this woman, he stood by her. He's an old man now. No issue from the woman, yet he stood by her. He told us in that mail that if Christ can come and die for our sins, bear the shame, the beating and spitting, the cross for the sins of the whole world, why will he not stand by his beautiful wife, who was suffering for something she did not know anything about. In fact her sufferings even made him to want to stay with her all through her lifetime. It's through her sufferings that he set up this words of encouragement ministry.

Now, from what I've been reading here, none of you guys/ladies/men will want to do such a thing. You will pack your baggage at the slightest provocation. You forget that you vowed to take care of this woman/man all through his/her lifetime, in pain and in peace.

It is selfishness that's the root of all divorce cases. It's intolerance, inability to forgive and forget, inability to condescend so low as to say, I'm sorry for all I've done to your grieving spouse. -  something that Christ did for you while you were yet in sin. In any case, the Word of God said all these will happen in the last days. So, I'm not very surprised. Men(and women alike) shall be lovers of their own selves, boastful, proud, haters of things that are good etc etc l

Those of you who say I've put myself in Gods position should be reminded that even men will judge angels on the last day. Not ordinary men, but men filled with the Holy Spirit of God.   

1 Corinthians 6:3
Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

And please, my entries apply to Christians only. You've got to be ''renewed'' to know what I'm saying in here.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Chief2B(m): 2:14am On Mar 24, 2006
But be reminded that you turned that woman to a drug addict.

OK, I'm totally confused now. Just how did I turn her into a drug addict?
Why am I being compared to Bobby Brown? I never gave my ex any drugs, and after seeing my brother become an addict I was totally against drugs. Is Whitney a grown adult supposedly capable of making adult and mature decisions regarding her life? Did Bobby hold a gun to her head and make her take the drugs?
Drugs are a part of reality. They are here and they will always be a problem for the world to eventually try and solve.
I have no pity or compassion for addicts. My ex-wife was not only an addict but she was also a dealer. I have no tolerance for the people who destroy other peoples lives by supplying them with this garbage.
And I'll be damned if I stay married to a piece of filth such as this.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Nobody: 1:30am On Mar 26, 2006
I have come across this topic b4 but refused to make anypost cos of reasons best known to me

My Opinion===>>>
Divorce is a sad thing that can ever happen to a child. I am a victim of that, and I know how it feels to lack parental care just because of a minor thing that happened and eventualy led to both spouse going their different way. Whatever happened to "till death do us part" vow?
Just Imagine a child that use to laugh and play with both parents gradually becoming a sad and withdrawn person because his parents are divorced.
Its sad, Very sad sad
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by kasaliyaro(m): 3:10am On Mar 30, 2006
Chief2B:

, The first marriage ended when I can home early from work and found about 4 kilos of marijuana sitting on my kitchen table. While I was working in a State Government job my wife decided to deal drugs while I was out of town1,
, The second marriage ended after 8 years, I worked 2 jobs just2 to put my wife through college. When she got her degree it seemed that she had no use for me anymore. She refused to spend anytime with me, sex was out of the question. I'm a neat freak, so when I would come home after work, the house was totally trashed. She didn't care, she knew I would be cleaning it up3. So after working 12 hours, I would be up another 6 hours cleaning, doing laundry etc. After about 2 years I had enough and got divorced,

Sir, do you communicate with your wives at all? I don't mean talk, "Communicate", question and answer, finding out what they really want from you and what they expect of your relationship, Spend less time on CNN and BBC (complaints and gists about other people) tune more to Discovery Channel.

Going by 1 & 2 above, I see you as a hard working man who bursts his a.s.s. day and night to satisfy his wife. But at what expense do you meet these demands? You sacrifice spending quality time for making money. Marriage is not about the money (though its an important fuel in keeping it growing), its about companionship. They find companionship elsewhere now the blame is all theirs. Haba! If there is no crack in the wall lizards cannot come in. Seal the cracks. Spend more time with them. Start to work SMARTER not HARDER.

On #3, Mr Clean, how were you coping with her "I don't care" and dirty attitudes before marriage? Use the same methods,

Sir Ono, E be like say this man dey hide plenty from nairalanders.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by kasaliyaro(m): 6:58am On Mar 30, 2006
@Chief2B, Nawah, Dupsybaby , et al
In as much as the clause in marital vow reads ", till death do us part." and not ", till divorce do us part." and the vow was not taken under duress or influence of some substance, I take going contrary to this promise as a lack of credibility and integrity on your part. When you give your word, be a man and stand by it. Do your best to make it work.

No one promised you marriage is a bed of roses,  its got its own "thorns in the flesh" and "Crosses" -of different sizes, to be carried. Do we quit bacause we think a cross is too big to carry? Think about this: If Christ had dropped the cross -because it was too heavy or because of the hardness of our hearts and our un-repentant nature, what hope will we have today of reconciling with our Father?

We all love gold don't we,  we all want our relationships/ lives to sparkle like pure gold yet none of us is ready to go through the fire -the purification stage; we all want the end result. God has His ways of molding/strengthning us and preparing us for greater responsibilities. Your spouse may be what God is using,  don't dodge your probleams,  deal with them. God never gives you a cross He knows you cannot carry.

Also imagine God taking this words out of His dictionary: Love, forgiveness, patience, long-suffering, resignation, forbearance, perseverance, and the likes; then we are all doomed. God never gives up on us till death takes us from this earth. Take these words, add prayer and "effective" communication (not just talking) and you will never regret keeping your family.

@Chief2B,  Habits are not formed overnight. Its either:

1- These traits existed in Wife #1 & #2 but you ignored or failed to address them during courtship  (Love was blind but marriage now opened your eyes), OR

2- These women changed after marriage. Mind you "Change" is the result of our reactions to situations around us. Search yourself, OR

3- YOU changed somewhere along the line.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by kasaliyaro(m): 7:00am On Mar 30, 2006
For you all considering divorce, before you throw in the towel, do you know that:

- Remarrriages have a higher failure rate than first marriages. We think if we just change partners, our problems will be solved. Not so!

- Men, women and children all do better on in intact, successful first marriages - on all the measures: health, wealth, satisfaction and success. Work things out and you'll all be better off in the long run.

- Marriages, like everything else, go through slumps - down times. And things often get better on their own with time. Research points out that many who reported that their marriages were at the bottom of the scale on marital satisfaction, when asked again five years later, reported being at the top on marital happiness. When asked what changed, many had no idea. It seems that keeping your vows - hanging in through the "for worse" times, can get you to the promised land. Get married, stay married. People going through unhappy periods in their marriage fantasize about getting out of their marriage and falling in love with someone new. It leads to much more happiness - in the long run, if you can fall back in love with the person with whom you have children, extended family and a history -someone who will enjoy the grandkids with you.

- You can get past affairs, betrayals, disappointment, boredom and burnout and come out better and stronger than before.

- Perhaps you're in a remarriage and are struggling to avoid divorcing for the second, third or fourth time. Take a basic marriage counseling course. The skills and information that work for first marriages, will also work for you. This will also work for couples on the brink of divorce - couples in the deep end of the ocean who feel they've fallen out of love. You CAN learn new ways to interact - and by so doing, can fall in love again.

Divorce will never make you happy. At all cost avoid it.

"Divorce causes a decrease in wealth that is larger than just splitting a couple’s assets in half. By the same token, married people see an increase in wealth that is more than just adding the assets of two single people. On the other hand, divorce can devastate your wealth. Divorce drops a person's wealth by an average of 77%. If you really want to increase your wealth, get married and stay married." - Jay Zagorsky, Ohio State, Journal of Sociology, Jan 2006
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 30, 2006
Brilliant Post!
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by kasaliyaro(m): 9:50am On Mar 30, 2006
@uhonmora, Thank you Sir for the compliment.

@Nairaland users,
Let us remind ourselves that marriage is commanded by God; and whatever God ordains, He will surely maintain.

Cakes are sweet but have you try tasting the ingredients one by one? Some are sweet while some are not palatable at all. Take the unpalatable ingredients out of it, no chef can make a cake out of what is left. Its a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly that makes the cake.

See our bitter and sweet experiences as the ingredients, God as the chef and marriage as the cake. The beginning may not always be sweet but with God, the end result is always sweet.

Nobody wants to eat Bitter-leaf but we love the soup. It requires patience, hard work and a good chef to transform the leaf into the soup.

We worry about everything but never pray about anything. What peace we often forfeit, what needless pain we bear all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by nferyn(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2006
kasaliyaro:

@Nairaland users,
Let us remind ourselves that marriage is commanded by God; and whatever God ordains, He will surely maintain.
This only applies to those that believe in said God
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 1:06pm On Mar 30, 2006
Now, there goes nferyn again! Hey man, what have you been up to lately?

@Kasali: It takes the likes of a JOGS family member to post such brilliant and thought-provoking entry on this burning matter. Up JOGS!!
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by chinani(f): 8:00pm On Mar 30, 2006
kasaliyaro:

For you all considering divorce, before you throw in the towel, do you know that:

- Remarrriages have a higher failure rate than first marriages. We think if we just change partners, our problems will be solved. Not so!

- Men, women and children all do better on in intact, successful first marriages - on all the measures: health, wealth, satisfaction and success. Work things out and you'll all be better off in the long run.

- Marriages, like everything else, go through slumps - down times. And things often get better on their own with time. Research points out that many who reported that their marriages were at the bottom of the scale on marital satisfaction, when asked again five years later, reported being at the top on marital happiness. When asked what changed, many had no idea. It seems that keeping your vows - hanging in through the "for worse" times, can get you to the promised land. Get married, stay married. People going through unhappy periods in their marriage fantasize about getting out of their marriage and falling in love with someone new. It leads to much more happiness - in the long run, if you can fall back in love with the person with whom you have children, extended family and a history -someone who will enjoy the grandkids with you.

- You can get past affairs, betrayals, disappointment, boredom and burnout and come out better and stronger than before.

- Perhaps you're in a remarriage and are struggling to avoid divorcing for the second, third or fourth time. Take a basic marriage counseling course. The skills and information that work for first marriages, will also work for you. This will also work for couples on the brink of divorce - couples in the deep end of the ocean who feel they've fallen out of love. You CAN learn new ways to interact - and by so doing, can fall in love again.

Divorce will never make you happy. At all cost avoid it.

"Divorce causes a decrease in wealth that is larger than just splitting a couple’s assets in half. By the same token, married people see an increase in wealth that is more than just adding the assets of two single people. On the other hand, divorce can devastate your wealth. Divorce drops a person's wealth by an average of 77%. If you really want to increase your wealth, get married and stay married." - Jay Zagorsky, Ohio State, Journal of Sociology, Jan 2006

@ kasaliyaro

You're right. People often marry the same person over & over again so changing spouses isn't necessarily the key if you want something like "more affection" or "less nagging". Please read "Getting the Love You Want" by Harville Hendricks for the more established ("legit"wink take on this theory and marriage solutions. If you ask most marriage counselors they'll suggest that a couple try to salvage & resistate the marriage in some/most cases. However:

Red - the key word here is "successful". Marriage alone will not make you happier or give you alonger life. On the contrary, in the US women are more likely to die at the beating hands of a husband or lover than at the hands of a stranger or freak accident. Even if he doesn't beat you, catching hell (read: being miserable) will not extend your life.

Green - Why is this the only vow anyone knows? A man or woman can break any or every marriage vow, but when they want a to be free the only spouse is suddenly a Biblical scholar. Huh, "interesting". . .

Blue - Right & wrong. Some people can get over the affair & some can't. Perhaps the discovery of the affair is GOD'S WAY of getting you out of a bad marriage. Riddle me that? But only like 33% of marriages survive an affair (US stats). As for the survivors, sometimes women can "forgive" the affair but it's the men who can't live w/ themselves afterwards. They don't like feeling like a cheater etc.

Purple - And so what? "Man can not live on bread alone." I've always taken that to mean that we need our souls (along w/ mind & body) to be truly happy and fulfill our potential. If I have to write a check once a month to be free of cancer, then I'll write the check.

Anyhow, I'm not married. I just don't think that marriage should be prison sentence. The freedom to come & go as you please is the beauty of it; it's one way you know that your spouse chooses to be with you day after day. Some people lure others into marriage under false pretences. So should the "victim" suffer like a slave who has no options. I say "no". Kudos to you for mentioning counseling! smiley I think that's a great way to save save-able marriages!
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 1:26pm On Apr 03, 2006
You got it all warped up, chinani. But first, are you married?
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by chinani(f): 12:42am On Apr 04, 2006
@ ono

No, as I stated before, I am not married or engaged. I didn't mean to get "warped up". smiley I think kasaliyaro had lots of good ideas (& I give him PROPS for that) but I wanted to point out different areas. Yes my ideas are ideas that I have not personally tested. But they make lots of sense to me. There is such a thing as a priori knowledge and I try my best to grasp it. They say "a word is best for the wise" and I believe it.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 5:29pm On Apr 04, 2006
If you're not married, then I think it will do you well to just sit back and learn from people with experience. Your contributions are well noted sha.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by nferyn(m): 7:37pm On Apr 04, 2006
I am married and I broadly agree with chinani's positions, thumbs up from an experienced, married man wink
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by ono(m): 8:26am On Apr 05, 2006
@nferyn, I think I'll rather you lecture us (your usual manner) on Divorce. Y'know, the definition, history, widespread and all that. Then tell us why it's good or bad.

Personally, everything that affects humankind and works against the injunctions in the Bible, is automatically rejected by me. That's why I post ''my claims and reasoning applies to Christians only'' in my replies.
Re: What Are Your Views On Divorce? by nferyn(m): 8:39am On Apr 05, 2006
@ ono
I really don't like to lecture and I don't see the point anyway. Divorce is bad in the sense that two people that got married, that were once in love, come in a position where they no longer want to maintain that marriage. It's always a sad thing when that happens.
More in general, there are very few things that I would consider absolutely bad or good. Those things depend on the context and circumstances. Even killing can be morally justified in some cases. Anyway, your reasoning and claims aply to those following your specific interpretation of Christianity but need not to apply to others. I respect the fortitude of your convictions though. As long as you don't want to force or pressure others into it, all is well wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Revive The Habit Of Self-sufficiency- For Every Nigerian Woman/girl / Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name / Baby Prefers Home-made Goat Milk Formula To Breast Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.