Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,098 members, 7,814,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. (43849 Views)

Archaeology: Evidence Of Jonah And The Whale Found In Jerusalem (Photos) / Man Withdraws Support For Apostle Suleman After Alleged New Evidence Emerges / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Akin1212(m): 3:28pm On Feb 13, 2017
olagift:
That is stupidity of the highest order by the woman, her husband and family. How can someone loss a child first time because she refused to do CS and still allowed herself to be cajoled the same way the second and third time and now you are blaming God for their stupidity and foolishness? A beg go and sit down jare. All these cases you are bringing up are as a result of people's gullibility, stupidity and foolishness shikena.
God as a matter of "una" opinions is a being that can do anything, it wouldn't be wrong for one of his perceived "creation" whom he has promised he will do whatever she ask him or to keep believing he can change her situation. You know my problem with people like you? Your eyes are wide open but you won't use it to see. Now you tag her religious rights as stupidity, shey? continue

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by richebony: 3:31pm On Feb 13, 2017
so what about ritual killings we see on the news..so who do they sacrifice those body parts to..
wherever there's light.,there's darkness...if there can be a devil there is also a God.. and he answers prayers... if u
truthfully seek him

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by busuyi44: 3:51pm On Feb 13, 2017
what a write up! I will conclude that it is difficult to understand the way God acts. Isaiah 55: 8-9

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 13, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Case number 6

This woman came in as a referral case from a maternity ran by a church (I don't get why churches have to operate maternities), she came in with a scan report saying that the baby already died inside the womb (Intrauterine fetal death). When I explained this to her, she broke down and started wailing, and explained to me that she has been childless for a while which made that pregnancy a precious one.

She started praying right there and then, commanding the baby to come back to life, after every round of prayer, she'll beg me to listen for any fetal heartbeat, I'll listen and inform her that there's none. She'll start again, got anointing oil from her church, prayed, applied the oil, did everything but still, the fetal heartbeat didn't come back. I watched her pray and I couldn't stand it anymore how broken she was, I had to leave her alone and gave her some privacy. She prayed till she finally had the baby (dead of course).

Even if you're a spirit filled (and all those other adjectives they use to describe strong Christians) Christian and you see prayers failing your patients at death's door every day, won't it make you reevaluate the importance of prayer?

Next Case (7)
This is deep.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Akin1212(m): 3:53pm On Feb 13, 2017
holaoluwai:
I for once have questioned the existence of God. But He has proved himself again and again, almost 10 years ago my dad was diagnosed with enlargement of the heart, and drugs was prescribed for him, he was taking them until all of a sudden, his health deteriorated so badly, he couldnt sleep and when he sleeps it was scarily, he went back to the hospital and was told the drugs he took was wrong and had done the opposite of reducing the heart and the rate at which the heart has enlarged was bad and was too late for anything to be done. and he had few months if not weeks to live.
Then something crazy happened, the bank where he worked was robbed and he was shot, that was around 11AM and there was no hospital around that could operate on him, he had to go to general Hospital where he got there around 2PM but wasnt treated till 8pm. Now the doctor who saw him said it was medicinally impossible to still be alive and it was impossible for the bullet to have not touched the liver or kidney or any vital organ and that was also part of the reason for the delay because doctors expected him to die. while all this went on prayers was offered to the living God, the faithful father, the keep of life.
He said much later when he recovered that he dreamt and saw people praying on his behalf. Within less than 4 months he was out of the hospital and even the doctor that operated him made a mistake during the operation.
I believe doctor but I believe God more. I remembered when i was sick and I called him and He showed Himself, its been 4 year that i have taken drugs not even paracetamol no matter the stress. I know He has a reason for everything and I trust Him that He has Our good at heart. He loves us more than we love ourselves. I have also seen not just people will medically impossible challenges delivered.
You are deluded my friend

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lagusta:
While i was in medical school, pediatrics department, a child was rushed into the emergency...

she was 7yrs, weak, breathing heavily, did not respond to stimulus or calls, "paper white" pale....

The registrar that saw sent for investigations, struggled to set up IVF (all veins had collapsed)....

when the senior registrar came in, he recognized her immediately

"anti, so you are back"

we were confused then, but after sometime the child started gasping, we tried resuscitating, CPR, AMBU bag, we did everything, but she died ultimately....

after all the wailing and grief counseling, the senior registrar told us the story of how the mother first came about 5yrs ago when he was just starting residency, the child was diagnosed sickle cell. The departmen managed her until after sometime when she absconded, child came back with so-called "malaria symptoms" but our oga asked why she absconded, she said she was taken to a pastor in a very popular church whwere she went through prayer and deliverance, and the genotype changed from SS to AA... she even brought the result done by one make shift lab (maybe affiliated to the church).

Anyway, post_mortem results showed the child was STILL SS, PCV was 8% (normal should be more than 35%, even some SCD have PCV of 23%) and had heavy malaria parasitemia (+++)

so what do we have to say about that??
Kingebukasblog and winner01 and felixomor should consider this, because they like pointing to miracle testimonies like this with fake test reports.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Sexina851(f): 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
Akin1212:

If by grace you mean what we both know as grace, then it comes with or without sin. I am an atheist, most of your people had said and kept saying I am still living because of grace, though rebellion against your god abounds in me. So how do you define that?

Akin do u know u can serve God outside dis "religion fallacies" look at me you can relate with God with or without going to church that u don't believe God exists doesn't make u a sinner or a bad person but whatever you do, don't hate God, because his ways are not our ways and our ways are not his. Dats y in some cases prostitute making it heaven and fire branded tongue speaking Christian go d reverse. Don't let anybody judge you, just correct the little foxes.... God is outside religion

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Sexina851(f): 4:01pm On Feb 13, 2017
Akin1212:

If by grace you mean what we both know as grace, then it comes with or without sin. I am an atheist, most of your people had said and kept saying I am still living because of grace, though rebellion against your god abounds in me. So how do you define that?

Akin do u know u can serve God outside dis "religion fallacies" look at me you can relate with God with or without going to church that u don't believe God exists doesn't make u a sinner or a bad person but whatever you do, don't hate God, because his ways are not our ways and our ways are not his. Dats y in some cases prostitute make it to heaven, and fire branded tongue speaking Christians go d reverse. Don't let anybody judge you, just correct the little foxes.... God is outside religion

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by cooncudee(m): 4:01pm On Feb 13, 2017
A friend:
My pastor prayed for Mr. A, he got healed of cancer. He prayed for Miss. B, she was given a visa. Laid his hands on Mrs. C's head and her headache disappeared. Now, he prays for my son to be healed of measles and asks me not to administer drugs to him cause he has been healed, and you expect me not to believe?

Even if the boy eventually dies, and the pastor says it was meant to be, God loves him more than us, that's why he took him to be with him or I didn't have enough faith that's why he died, you expect me not to believe him (the pastor that cured cancer with prayers)

Wouldn't it be nice being in heaven when I die (as a Christian). I'll enjoy everything I want, won't feel no pain no more. Everything will be bliss. We all will be singing 'hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah' forever and ever. It won't ever get boring. I won't ever get tired. God won't ever get tired of it. He would just sit on is throne and bask in the glory of his praise.
The unbelievers, on the other hand would be banished to a forever of misery and suffering , endless torture, and what have you. They would spend forever regretting thier decision to be unbelievers. Knowing fully well that suffering cannot be appreciated in the absence of enjoyment. Sadness becomes the norm in the absence absence of happiness. And that humans tend to adapt to a situation that keeps remaining constant for a long period of time which means it is possible for those in hell to adapt to the pain.

Me:

Nigga you for real!? Was that a question?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 13, 2017
drnoel:

Bros, its worse than that. It is an absolute nightmare.

While still in naija, I had one that broke my faith then. It took to years to find it again.
The sad Child had to be amputated. It still hurts to remember it cos I was the person who handled the case and also the person who had to take off the childs leg. All the preaching I did to the patents, threats and even begging didn't work. I mean, how can ur child have epilepsy and ur pastor says its demon possession and then u burn his legs with charcoal then start praying for the legs to somehow miraculously heal back. I mean what level of ignorance is that? The hospital had the pastor arrested for assault though and I went in myself to question my faith.
Burnt the child's leg?
Really? cry
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by felixomor: 4:06pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lagusta:

you are the liar here.....

I am a doctor, and from all my years of schooling and practice, i find VERY FEW doctors that are very religious... most of them are either moderates, liberals, agnostic or atheists.... the majority being liberals like me...
You see yourself?

Firstly, it is very obvious your grammatical knowledge is shallow.
Does being liberal stop somebody from being religious?
Are both mutually exclusive?

Secondly
Here is a study that was carried out in Chicago and found majority to be people of faith

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/050714/doctorsfaith.shtml

More on this, have you heard of Ben Carson?
(Undoubtedly the greatest neurosurgeon alive)

He is Strongly religious.

Have you heard of Don Moen, somebody who continues to attract billions of people with worship music.

In case you don't know, Don Moen is a qualified medical doctor. Before he entered worship mysic full time.

Bro..the list is endless.
Not to mention of people like Dr Paul Enenche of Dunamis Church in Nigeria...
And even his wife.

These people are all doctors.

Next time, do some study before replying with half knowledge.

Thirdly, you dont even know who you are talking to.
Because you assumed falsely that all religious people are not doctors.

During my days in medical school, majority of my fellowship leaders and excos were all medical students, clinical medical students at that.

Even many of my teachers were patrons of student fellowships or even coordinators of Missions in their respective churches.

Please stop making your "liberal" assumptions.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by felixomor: 4:08pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lennycool:

Kingebukasblog and winner01 and felixomor should consider this, because they like pointing to miracle testimonies like this with fake test reports.

U dont have work
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Missonas(f): 4:09pm On Feb 13, 2017
The only way to commune with God is Prayers. The best way to pray is first to believe God has already answered then leaving it up to Him to do what He WILLS. Not yours, but the Lords' will. Even Jesus was denied that so what exactly is the Op talking about? Didnt we say death is inevitable? God chooses when and how that happens.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Lagusta(m): 4:15pm On Feb 13, 2017
felixomor:

You see yourself?

Firstly, it is very obvious your grammatical knowledge is shallow.
Does being liberal stop somebody from being religious?
Are both mutually exclusive?

Secondly
Here is a study that was carried out in Chicago and found majority to be people of faith

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/050714/doctorsfaith.shtml

More on this, have you heard of Ben Carson?
(Undoubtedly the greatest neurosurgeon alive)

He is Strongly religious.

Have you heard of Don Moen, somebody who continues to attract billions of people with worship music.

In case you don't know, Don Moen is a qualified medical doctor. Before he entered worship mysic full time.

Bro..the list is endless.
Not to mention of people like Dr Paul Enenche of Dunamis Church in Nigeria...
And even his wife.

These people are all doctors.

Next time, do some study before replying with half knowledge.

Thirdly, you dont even know who you are talking to.
Because you assumed falsely that all religious people are not doctors.

During my days in medical school, majority of my fellowship leaders and excos were all medical students, clinical medical students at that.

Even many of my teachers were patrons of student fellowships or even coordinators of Missions in their respective churches.

Please stop making your "liberal" assumptions.

Cheers.

No use arguing with you bro......

Just do your research concerning well-known doctors that are not religious.....

And learn how to argue constructively.... Asking me whether I know Ben Carson or not is an insult on my character....

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Sexina851(f): 4:19pm On Feb 13, 2017
cooncudee:
i dont want to enter into an argument, I just want to correct something, grace, is unconditional. I don't think there is anybody who doesn't 'sin'

Grace is unconditional doesn't mean intentional sins will not be tried, grace is unconditional doesn't mean an unchecked sin will not be checked..unconditional grace means even wen we don't deserve it, he still takes us in, just like the prodigal son he received grace only wen he came back not while he was away
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Sexina851(f): 4:27pm On Feb 13, 2017
tosan200:
You know where the problem lies- There will always be sin.
And there will always be forgiveness, so long it's not an intentional sin.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by felixomor: 4:28pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lagusta:

No use arguing with you bro......

Just do your research concerning well-known doctors that are not religious.....

And learn how to argue constructively.... Asking me whether I know Ben Carson or not is an insult on my character....

I quoted u a research study.
Do well to read it.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 13, 2017
Blitzerz:
This Op is not well read at all

Here is another popular medically verified miracle that baffles the world till today

(Cut from wikipedia)

Anita Moorjani

Born Anita Shamdasani
March 16, 1959 (age 57)
Singapore
Nationality British (Ethnicity: Indian)
Occupation Author, speaker, consultant
Spouse(s) Danny Moorjani (m. 1995)
Parent(s) Hargobind (father)
Neelu (mother)
Relatives Anoop Shamdasani (brother)
Website anitamoorjani.com

Anita Moorjani (born Anita Shamdasani) (born 16 March 1959)[1] is a New York Times best selling author of the book Dying to be Me,[2] speaker,[3] and intercultural consultant for multinational corporations. In 2006, after suffering cancer for almost four years, Anita's organs started shutting down and she slipped into a deep coma. She was rushed to the hospital where she claims to have crossed into the afterlife during what is often referred to as a Near Death Experience (NDE).[4] Upon returning from her NDE, her body healed from the end-stage lymphoma within a matter of days and within months was completely cancer free.[5]

Source: Wikipedia

Dear Op, maybe you can do well to also explain What happened To this woman actually.
That woman is not affiliated with any particular religion and no where is it stated that she prayed to any God

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by CatfishBilly: 4:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
felixomor:
Felixomor is a medic, who knew grin cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Number2(m): 4:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Hmm continue arguing and saying there is no God until the day you die and you stand face to face with your maker, only the fool will say in his heart that there is no God...

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by tohpahz(f): 4:38pm On Feb 13, 2017
UyiIredia:

Interesting. A Christian who doesn't believe in prayer.
How can u tell wat I am nd wat I'm not
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 13, 2017
Number2:
Hmm continue arguing and saying there is no God until the day you die and you stand face to face with your maker, only the fool will say in his heart that there is no God...
When we get there, dudes will be like

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by CatfishBilly: 5:05pm On Feb 13, 2017
Case number 10
We had to admit a baby girl, she was given birth to prematurely (7 months gestation), her case was a bad one and we told the parents the prognosis, but this little girl fought on. She exceeded our expectations and everyone in that unit got attached to her emotionally, then she got worse, nothing seemed to be working. The parents have spent a ton of money by this time, so, we were all really rooting for this girl to make it, we held prayers, got a mantle blessed by Bishop Oyedepo, prayed and prayed, she eventually died.
Our prayers and Bishop Oyedepo's mantle weren't worth a damn, apparently.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by felixomor: 5:06pm On Feb 13, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Case number 10
We had to admit a baby girl, she was given birth to prematurely (7 months gestation), her case was a bad one and we told the parents the prognosis, but this little girl fought on. She exceeded our expectations and everyone in that unit got attached to her emotionally, then she got worse, nothing seemed to be working. The parents have spent a ton of money by this time, so, we were all really rooting for this girl to make it, we held prayers, got a mantle blessed by Bishop Oyedepo, prayed and prayed, she eventually died.

Stop posting lies, guy
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by holaoluwai: 5:09pm On Feb 13, 2017
Akin1212:

You are deluded my friend
And you my friend, is shutting your eyes to the bold signs of God.
Do have a great day.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by IdomaLikita: 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2017
OP, God Bless you..I am a Doctor too, though a Deist. I admire your courage, for it takes courage to renounce the infidelity that religion bestows upon us..I do not oppose those who believe in miracles( after, the mechanisms of Placebo could pass for Miracles), neither do I blame those whom experience have shown that prayers are futile exercises.
Working in a Hospital, especially in a 3rd world country like Nigeria exposes one to so many contradictions of life. Religion has its role in the evolution of societies...However, the Nigerian religious system promotes stupidity, idiocy, delusional inclinations and crude naivety even among Educated citizens.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 13, 2017
Answer to Prayers or failed prayers is not the evidence to substantiate whether God exists or not.

It's a faith thing!

You believe in God's existence by faith. And there's great wisdom in this. Because the height of foolishness is to say there's no God, according to the Bible:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalms 14:1 KJV

Faith is not science. It's only scientific claim that you can demonstrate in the laboratory. But faith, spiritual things cannot be subjected to experimentation.

From our knowledge of Pathology, there's no way we could argue the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the grave after such gruesome death. Not even the best of medical or surgical intervention obtainable any where in the world could have raised him from the dead with the level of tissue / organ damage.

Yet, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, arose from the dead. All bruises healed! This is faith, not science. It's written: Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. 1 Corrinthians 2:14.

No medical science could explain that.

You need to know that God's ways are mysteries. His ways are unsearchable! Every human that comes to the world has a purpose. God in His sovereignty decides who lives and who dies, no matter the age.

One thing I learnt early in medical school is that doctors care, but God heals. Incidentally, this happened to be the slogan of the teaching hospital. Doctors would do their best, but God decides who makes it. And his decision is unquestionable!

So, there's God!

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Uvo11: 5:23pm On Feb 13, 2017
I understand the op's situation. I had a close relation die from cancer after so much prayer. He suffered a lot and I was really mad at God for quite a while.

It's been a challenging journey and now my relationship with God is stronger than it ever was before.

What I have come to know for real is that God's ways are not our ways, and His thoughts not our thoughts. We can never comprehend why He answers some prayers and does not answer others. He is like a parent and we are as toddlers who just want what we want. Just like a good parent does what is in the best interest of the child and decides which of the things the toddler desires that he can actually have, so God does for us.

God has a view of creation and time that we don't have. He sees how the past, present and future are interconnected. He sees how each individual life fits into all of this, and what the best move is at any point in time.

It is difficult to accept this at times but God takes His decisions based on factors that are a million light years beyond our grasp. I am, however, comforted by the fact that His love for me (and all of mankind) is so strong that He gave His only begotten son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins. His word also assures all believers that all He does is for our eternal good.

Op, I pray that you will find your way back home to the arms of our loving heavenly father eventually, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Lagusta(m): 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2017
felixomor:

I quoted u a research study.
Do well to read it.

If this is the way you also talk to your patients then I'm terribly sorry for you.....

Come, you can never get a sound congregation if you preach in a harsh manner like this....

Learn how to talk and relate please....

I'm off.....

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by realmindz: 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2017
Jerryojozy:
prayers have been working for me.

I come to you and give you a sheet of paper to write 20 things you want God to do for you and I will pray over it for you.

You go home and write 20 things in your priority list you are already working on. With the power of your dedication and coincidence, at least, let's say 7 out of that 20 come to pass. Then the remaining 13, I'll tell you God is working on some and he probably knows best for not doing the rest.

You are happy and believe I have done the magic trick and God has answered your prayers.

That's the way to being the perfect con artist

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by felixomor: 5:33pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lagusta:

If this is the way you also talk to your patients then I'm terribly sorry for you.....

Come, you can never get a sound congregation if you preach in a harsh manner like this....

Learn how to talk and relate please....

I'm off.....

And i guess this your quote below is a better way to address patients.

Hmmmm. Good
Bye

Lagusta:

you are the liar here.....

I am a doctor, and from all my years of schooling and practice, i find VERY FEW doctors that are very religious... most of them are either moderates, liberals, agnostic or atheists.... the majority being liberals like me.
Re: Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. by Lagusta(m): 5:34pm On Feb 13, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Case number 10

Mantle?? You mean those 50naira handkerchiefs

Chaaaiii, my chest!!! grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Private jet: Apostle Johnson Suleman finally speaks / Adeboye & Oyedepo At Pentecostal Fellowship Of Nigeria (pics) / Apostle Suleman Mourns Sammie Okposo; Calls Out Pastors Who Judged Late Singer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.