Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State (11234 Views)

On South South And Biafra.. An Urhobo's View / I Support The Creation Of Ijebu State - Senator David Mark / Movement For The Creation Of FESTAC STATE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ochukoccna: 6:27pm On Dec 20, 2009
H2O2:

But oil is not just any resource.  That's undoubtedly the core integrating resource that binds the nation together, as doboski said.

[size=18pt]Nope, it doesn't bind us 2geda because the money is more or less looted. The South South cries blue murder regarding resource control yet have their leaders ever been questioned by their people on how their allocation is been spent? Even @ that the state of disrepair in 9ja is such that the different states monthly allocation can't do much. Our leaders lack vision else they would have diversified our resource base from just oil. Sadly what do you expect when blind leaders are steering the ship of state. I have said and still say, that in the youth lies the deliverance of this nation if only they would shun tribalism, ethnicity and religious bigotry. Have you ever cared to ask yourself how is it that we [students from different tribes] rolled with & dated one another one another in our glorified secondary schools called universities without seeing this walls of separation? Sadly, many young ones seem ready to even outdo our fathers in been ethnic champions instead of visionary leaders to lead this nation out of the morass she is in and champion a new 9ja. No fuel, no light, no water, no roads, no schools, no jobs, no president, no nothing. What a country, what a people![/size]

debosky:

Correction - the Mid-West State Region was a deliberate attempt to weaken the South West Region's perceived strength/ influence.

Secondly, the creation of states did NOT stop any perceived 'colonisation' by the big 3, since they were created by the Military who appointed state administrators by whim, not by ethnicity.

The states were created out of a mixture of political fiat, opportunistic lobbying of powers that be and a misguided notion that creation of a state leads to development. By creating states, the military kept certain groups distracted and helped them gain credibility while the pillaging of the country continued.

However, there are numerous examples that show that state creation doesn't achieve that - take Bayelsa state for example. The power turbine built there in the 80's when it was part of Rivers was the only power generation supply there for a long time, even after the state was 'created'.

What is needed is a structure that permits constituent groups to participate in the running of their affairs and the rest of the country. State creation has failed to do that and the very idea that creating more will lead to self determination is flawed.

^^^^^^^^^
[size=18pt]I couldn't put it better than you did debosky. Many are like Ostriches burying their head into tribal cocoons & unto reality from what I've seen so far from this post [and numerous political posts on NL]. The cry from Nigeria's bowels is true federalism but how many can hear it? Creation of more states HAS NEVER & WILL NEVER stop the cry for more states nor solve the ethnic agitation. Let us not remain inured to the fact that as long as we retain our current military foisted unitary type of governance, we are just joking in our quest for governance utopia. 9ja is a living lie. Only true federalism can heal her.[/size]
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 6:29pm On Dec 20, 2009
bidemi12:

@Beaf beaf, How far na?   Been gone for a while, i'm back and you still haven't changed. You and this your separatist views. O'l boy you have too much idle time on your hands.  grin

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Do I know you? I'm quite sure I don't (in case you're female, I am married and not interested). Damn!
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by bidemi12(m): 11:54pm On Dec 20, 2009
@Beaf Point proven, like i said you will never change. grin
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Becomrrich: 12:28am On Dec 21, 2009
I know How Uhrobo people feel.

The yoruba and the Mid west have been cheated in state creation.

While
Nigeria constitution have four region

North
West
Mid West
East

The North got 19 news state + abuja
West got 4 new states
Mid west got 2 new states
East got 8 new states

The North got 19 news state. 20 plus abuja
Abuja
Adamawa
Bauchi
Benue
Borno
Gombe
Imo
Jigawa
Kaduna
Kano
Katsina
Kebbi
Kogi
Kwara
Nasarawa
Niger
Plateau
Sokoto
Taraba
Yobe

Mid west got 2 new states
Bayelsa
Delta

West got 4 new states

Ekiti
Ogun
Ondo
Osun

East got 8 new states
Ebonyi
Cross River
Abia
Anambra
Enugu
Akwa Ibom
Rivers

So you can see the inbalance that need to be corrected.

Our previous constitution only have 4 region
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by blackasia: 7:59am On Dec 21, 2009
more state we come about the more problem we see. 9ja is a place of misplaced priority
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Moranike: 12:18pm On Dec 21, 2009
Our problem in dis country is not depletion of states, rather leadership re-orientation, appropriation of funds, total committment to service, provision of infrastructural facilities, creation of job opportunities, stabilization of ou economy and countless upon countless things that needs to be done. State creation in all d regions, is not the panacea. There are so many other things that we need.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Bongoman1: 12:40pm On Dec 21, 2009
I like this thread!
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by dearmi: 1:44pm On Dec 21, 2009
urobo ko, urhobo ni
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Meldrick(m): 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2009
GL:

if any tribe really wants to reestablish their precolonial sovereignty, they'll have to secede and form their own country. that's not something that they can achieve as a state within a country. imagine what it would look like if other tribes were to start clamouring for their own states? the Binis? Itsekiris? they also had established precolonial kingdoms. who would get warri? that would probably cause another crisis. how big and economically viable would each state be if we were to give each tribe a state? i bet even Urhobos would need more than one state because then we would see that there are divisions even among them.

that guy who said we need to scrap all 36 states was right. the rest of the world is thinking globalization but we are thinking division. europeans are bringing down economic and social borders in the interest of development but we're trying to erect borders. of what use is sovereignty in the absence of development?

Very Good talk.

It might interest you to know that within the Urhobo people there is a division. The Uvwie people refuse to be reffered to as Urhobos.
Human beings can be so selfish. If there was no oil in that land, will they request for an Urhobo state. My people in the Niger Delta annoy me with the way they reason. The Ijaw people will always refer to themselves as the Ijaw Nation in all their publications. Rather than fight for the Niger Delta, they fight for the Ijaw Nation and they don't give a danm what happens to the other tribes.

The Urhobos fail to realize that most of those areas they are selfishly claiming belong to the Itsekiris, Isokos e.t.c If the urhobo nation is created based on their recomendation, there will be another war because the other ethnic groups will point out areas that belong to them within the so-called Urhobo rich region. The Itsekiris, Isokos will also demand for their own state. Trust the Ijaws, they claim they are the third most populated so they will soon clamour for their own state.

I'm dissapointed in their President, Olorogun Ibru or what is his name. Is he educated? if he is, he wasted his time in the University.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2009
Meldrick:

Very Good talk.

It might interest you to know that within the Urhobo people there is a division. The Uvwie people refuse to be reffered to as Urhobos.
Human beings can be so selfish. If there was no oil in that land, will they request for an Urhobo state. My people in the Niger Delta annoy me with the way they reason. The Ijaw people will always refer to themselves as the Ijaw Nation in all their publications. Rather than fight for the Niger Delta, they fight for the Ijaw Nation and they don't give a danm what happens to the other tribes.

The Urhobos fail to realize that most of those areas they are selfishly claiming belong to the Itsekiris, Isokos e.t.c If the urhobo nation is created based on their recomendation, there will be another war because the other ethnic groups will point out areas that belong to them within the so-called Urhobo rich region. The Itsekiris, Isokos will also demand for their own state. Trust the Ijaws, they claim they are the third most populated so they will soon clamour for their own state.

I'm dissapointed in their President, Olorogun Ibru or what is his name. Is he educated? if he is, he wasted his time in the University.

With due respect, the above is balderdash.
For one, Uvwie have [b]never [/b]refused to be referred to as Urhobos (except in your dreams). That claim is ignorant at best, Urhobo is made up of several distinct clans, Uvwie is a major one.
Secondly, Isoko and Urhobo speak the same language and have the same culture. Wherever Urhobo, Isoko will go, we are inseparable nations.
Bayelsa state is already an Ijaw state so why would the Ijaws clamour for a new one? The Ijaw areas of Delta and Bayelsa can be merged.
Also, the Itsekiris can join Ondo state as they have always wished.

As to bogus claims about lands belonging to Itsekiris. The colonial period is over and lands given to dore numa as punishment to the owners for not taking part in slavery have returned. We will divide Warri by genuine [/b]village boundaries so you guys get the mostly remote out of town areas Ogbuwangwue, Ginuwa and Pesu, while Ogbe Ijaw and ajoining areas go to the Ijaw the rest from Ekpan, Agbassa, Ogberikoko, Ogunu, Enehren, Ovwian-Aladja, Udu, Okere-Urhobo, Edjeba, Igbudu. . . everything else (like 80%) goes to the Urhobo grin grin grin grin.

Infact, the Itsekiri capital is called [b]Ode-Itsekiri
, so why bad bele for other peoples property na grin. See history here with oyibo people plotting your "reality" that you are arguing here (in ignorance) http://www.waado.org/CulturalUnits/AgbarhaAme/WarriEthnicProblems/ObiomahOnUrhoboWarri/WARRI_URHOBO_HistoryIdentity.html

Meldrick the colonial period is over. Stop living in the past, nobody is a slave anymore, neither can their lands be taken because they refused to take part in the evil trade. Forget about the "gains" of the slave trade.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ayobase(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2009
soon, igbo go dey ask for state.
are they already asking?
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Meldrick(m): 6:37pm On Dec 21, 2009
Beaf:

With due respect, the above is balderdash.
For one, Uvwie have [b]never [/b]refused to be referred to as Urhobos (except in your dreams). That claim is ignorant at best, Urhobo is made up of several distinct clans, Uvwie is a major one.
Secondly, Isoko and Urhobo speak the same language and have the same culture. Wherever Urhobo, Isoko will go, we are inseparable nations.
Bayelsa state is already an Ijaw state so why would the Ijaws clamour for a new one? The Ijaw areas of Delta and Bayelsa can be merged.
Also, the Itsekiris can join Ondo state as they have always wished.

As to bogus claims about lands belonging to Itsekiris. The colonial period is over and lands given to dore numa as punishment to the owners for not taking part in slavery have returned. We will divide Warri by genuine [/b]village boundaries so you guys get the mostly remote out of town areas Ogbuwangwue, Ginuwa and Pesu, while Ogbe Ijaw and ajoining areas go to the Ijaw the rest from Ekpan, Agbassa, Ogberikoko, Ogunu, Enehren, Ovwian-Aladja, Udu, Okere-Urhobo, Edjeba, Igbudu. . . everything else (like 80%) goes to the Urhobo grin grin grin grin.

Infact, the Itsekiri capital is called [b]Ode-Itsekiri
, so why bad bele for other peoples property na grin. See history here with oyibo people plotting your "reality" that you are arguing here (in ignorance) http://www.waado.org/CulturalUnits/AgbarhaAme/WarriEthnicProblems/ObiomahOnUrhoboWarri/WARRI_URHOBO_HistoryIdentity.html

Meldrick the colonial period is over. Stop living in the past, nobody is a slave anymore, neither can their lands be taken because they refused to take part in the evil trade. Forget about the "gains" of the slave trade.

You are talking bullshit.

You know little or nothing about your area. Perharps you were born and brought up in Lagos. The Uvwie people have their own King and they refuse to be called Urhobos. Did I hear you say the Isokos go where the Urhobos go? You are dreaming. You just made me realize you can't speak your language when you said Isoko and Urhobo speak the same language.
Urhobo man what is soup and salt called in Urhobo? What is it called in Isoko? Go find out and understand the difference.

I saw the cooked up website you quoted by an Urhobo man (D.A Obiomah). You were sleeping when you said it was designed be whitemen. The Ijaws have a stake in Delta State. Realize that now
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by SEFAGO(m): 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2009
Request for the creation of a sefago state. i hate everyone and I feel bloody marginalized.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 7:33pm On Dec 21, 2009
Meldrick:

You are talking bullshit.

You know little or nothing about your area. Perharps you were born and brought up in Lagos. The Uvwie people have their own King [/b]and they refuse to be called Urhobos. Did I hear you say the Isokos go where the Urhobos go? You are dreaming. You just made me realize you can't speak your language when you said Isoko and Urhobo speak the same language.
Urhobo man what is soup and salt called in Urhobo? What is it called in Isoko? Go find out and understand the difference.

I saw the cooked up website you quoted by an Urhobo man (D.A Obiomah). [b]You were sleeping when you said it was designed be whitemen
shocked. The Ijaws have a stake in Delta State. Realize that now

My friend, I am mixed Isoko and Urhobo, so forget that side. grin grin grin grin

"The Uvwie people have their own King". . . Don't make me laugh! The Okpe's have theirs as well (the Orodje), Abraka has an Ovie. . . [b]Every [/b]Urhobo division has a king for crying out load! The Urhobo's (and Isoko's) are very republican live and let live cultures.
Uvwie people having their own King does not stop them being Urhobo (rather, your claim outs your ignorance of Delta state ethnicities). Next?

When and where did I say any website was designed by white people? shocked Damn! This is what I said;

Infact, the Itsekiri capital is called Ode-Itsekiri, so why bad bele for other peoples property na grin. See history here with oyibo people plotting your "reality" that you are arguing here (in ignorance) http://www.waado.org/CulturalUnits/AgbarhaAme/WarriEthnicProblems/ObiomahOnUrhoboWarri/WARRI_URHOBO_HistoryIdentity.html

De tin wen de deh Na lie? grin grin grin Oyibo plotted your "reality". Now they have gone. . .
By the way, Olorogun D.A Obiomah is a very respected scholar.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ndcide(m): 1:29am On Dec 22, 2009
yawns!

after reading all the post so far its obvious that that urhobo state thing was just the stand up comedy part of the conference
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by rasputinn(m): 4:00am On Dec 22, 2009
Myopic and silly request
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by bidemi12(m): 4:03am On Dec 22, 2009
@Rasputin      Abi oooo, i think say na only me feel that way grin
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Meldrick(m): 8:27am On Dec 22, 2009
Beaf:

My friend, I am mixed Isoko and Urhobo, so forget that side. grin grin grin grin

It's possible but where do you think I come from grin grin grin I laugh in Isoko.
You have not been able to inteprete simply what Isoko and Urhobo call salt and soup. My dear friend, the Urhobos and Isokos are two different tribes just like Urhobo and Ijaw.

You must agree with me that Olorogun Ibru is just joking with his request
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by okunoba(m): 10:13am On Dec 22, 2009
The younger generations have regressed to a level worse than our parents. We are now shameless ethnic champions instead of being champions of progress. 4 a start what have the local councilors or state governors of the federation done to make the lives of their people better, absolutely nothing, other than stealing and abusing power invested in them,yet we want more state creation based on ethnic lines.

My state Oshun was created out of the old Oyo state, as it made life better 4 the people of that state, the answer is a big no except that we now have people that steal and abuse power in our name. Today some are calling 4 the creation of an Oduduwa state out of this relatively new Oshun state, will this create industries, build more infrastructures or make the life of the indigenes of the state better of course not. State creation as not made Nigeria better and the creation of more will not.

Creating an Urhobo State will only create another corrupt Urhobo leader stealing in the name of Urhobo people. The average Urhobo man will definitely not be better off just like all the new states created in the past have not made life better 4 the natives of these states.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 11:14am On Dec 22, 2009
Until the day we get true federalism and all off Nigeria's non-viable states have been merged into regions, there must be an Urhobo state. No more monkey de work baboon de chop.

Meldrick:

It's possible but where do you think I come from grin grin grin I laugh in Isoko.
You have not been able to inteprete simply what Isoko and Urhobo call salt and soup. My dear friend, the Urhobos and Isokos are two different tribes just like Urhobo and Ijaw.

You must agree with me that Olorogun Ibru is just joking with his request

Comedy.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Kay17: 12:44pm On Dec 22, 2009
its obvious thats these are schemes, politicians use to acquire power and money. tribal affiliation was a 19th century thing! it has no solution to today's problems. it would not solve poverty, or unemployment, it would not guarantee us good governance. all the enumeration of resources are the list means to chop money.
how would a small state like that stand up to the Federal Govt, or fund its police? i sure the policemen would be walking bare-feet and using dane guns+ the bureaucratic burden would be enormous, providing pensions and salaries for its public workers. besides creation of Federal Police would be double work!
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2011
interesting
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:58pm On Apr 12, 2011
It might be good for the Urhobos to have their own state, but do they really need it? Are they being marginalized by those around them or are they actually major players and stakeholders in Delta state politics? I think the answer is that they are not under anyone's domination.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Apr 12, 2011
Creation of more states in a region that remains underdeveloped even after more than 4 states have been added in the last 20 or so years alone?? (Bayelsa, Delta, Edo etc)? shocked grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

Yes oo . . . . lets create a state in your backyards even, that way we can give you more reasons to continue to ignore the major issues in the region, why you create more opportunities to steal from the people of the region . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Kobojunkie: 10:32pm On Apr 12, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

It might be good for the Urhobos to have their own state, but do they really need it? Are they being marginalized by those around them or are they actually major players and stakeholders in Delta state politics? I think the answer is that they are not under anyone's domination.

Why not create a state for each ethnic group and be done with it??
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 10:33pm On Apr 12, 2011
stu.pid move by stu.pid people undecided
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:45am On Apr 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why not create a state for each ethnic group and be done with it??

Like I said, it's not really necessary in some cases, such as that of the Urhobo. Creating states just for the purpose of creating states is pointless.

Those other states you mentioned (Edo, Bayelsa,etc.) were actually good ideas because by carving away an ethnic group or ethnic groups that were perceived as politically dominating a state (Bendel, old Rivers,) they decrease the chance for ethnic politics to come to the forefront.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by sbeezy8: 11:58pm On Apr 13, 2011
well i kno some urhobos who are angry with the gov of delta state cant say if its because hes not performing or what

but the itsekiri peeps responded with tribalsim is the reason why those urhobos were mad.

all on my FB page
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:06am On Apr 14, 2011
Delta is basically Itsekiri, Urhobo/Isoko, Ijaw, and Igbo, right?

Seems to me you could simply:
A) Move the Itsekiri LGAs to Ondo (or create Itsekiri State)
B) Create Urhobo+Isoko State
C) Move the Ijaw LGAs to Bayelsa (or create another Ijaw state)
D) Create Anioma State

Why would this be a bad idea?
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:29am On Apr 14, 2011
Itsekiri state? I think they're barely over a million.

As for the rest, the Delta Ijaw, Itsekiri, and Urhobo aren't going to be deliberately divided by any government that wants a good record or wants to be remembered positively because of the chaos and bickering that would result from land disputes and claims of "ownership" etc.

Nothing wrong with option D, but apparently the different Igbo groups haven't really reached an agreement on how they would run the state (who would be running the show). There was a thread on nairaland from a while back where something was mentioned about the Ukwuani basically wanting to dominate. Here's an ethnic map of Delta state:

Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 12:30am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

D) Create Anioma State

good idea actually

but the problem is WHO WOULD TAKE WARRI

is it the urhabo/isoko or itsekiri or ijaw
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 12:34am On Apr 14, 2011
Alj Uche:

good idea actually

but the problem is WHO WOULD TAKE WARRI

is it the urhabo/isoko or itsekiri or ijaw
PhysicsMHD:

Itsekiri state? I think they're barely over a million.

As for the rest, the Delta Ijaw, Itsekiri, and Urhobo aren't going to be deliberately divided by any government that wants a good record or wants to be remembered positively because of the chaos and bickering that would result from land disputes and claims of "ownership" etc.

Nothing wrong with option D, but apparently the different Igbo groups haven't really reached an agreement on how they would run the state (who would be running the show). There was a thread on nairaland from a while back where something was mentioned about the Ukwuani basically wanting to dominate. Here's an ethnic map of Delta state:
ekt_bear link=topic=367789.msg8121707#msg8121707 date=1302735979:

D) Create Anioma State

Itsekiris are not leaving delta state. We have lived together with the Urhobos and all for years without fighting until the Delta crisis where they thought Awolowo was the cause of it and that Itsekiris wanted to take warri. As far as I know, no one is leaving except maybe Anoima igbos. There will only be division if Nigeria splits.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria, S’africa Diplomatic Row: Senators Want S’african Companies Sacked / Amotekun Begins Recruitment In Ondo / Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.