Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State (11231 Views)

On South South And Biafra.. An Urhobo's View / I Support The Creation Of Ijebu State - Senator David Mark / Movement For The Creation Of FESTAC STATE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 12:37am On Apr 14, 2011
Alj Uche:

good idea actually

but the problem is WHO WOULD TAKE WARRI

is it the urhabo/isoko or itsekiri or ijaw

The purpose for which I created this thread was to draw attention to the need for true federalism and self reliance at a time when people were inundating the NASS with ridiculous demands for states that would have needed Abuja money to survive. I have never wanted an Urhobo state.
The thread was also posted at a time when NL was sensible; I never meant for this thread to attract ignorant bigots, barely literate donkeys or dunces.
Warri has drawn blood, it is now peaceful and is absolutely none of the business of a trouble making bigot like you.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Itsekiri state? I think they're barely over a million.
Why is population size the basis for a state, though? They are considered a distinct ethnic group, and a pretty large part of Delta seems to be their historic territory. Why is their state considered non-viable?

As for the rest, the Delta  Ijaw, Itsekiri, and Urhobo aren't going to be deliberately divided by any government that wants a good record or wants to be remembered positively because of the chaos and bickering that would result from land disputes and claims of "ownership" etc.
Warri is the only major flashpoint, I thought?

Nothing wrong with option D, but apparently the different Igbo groups haven't really reached an agreement on how they would run the state (who would be running the show). There was a thread on nairaland from a while back where something was mentioned about the Ukwuani basically wanting to dominate. Here's an ethnic map of Delta state:
I never understood this type of stuff personally. Igbo is Igbo, is it not? Why would they seek to be dominating each other. Just implement something like zoning if it such a big deal. People are too divisive and shortsighted, imo

Alj Uche:

good idea actually

but the problem is WHO WOULD TAKE WARRI

is it the urhabo/isoko or itsekiri or ijaw
It is a pretty big city, is it not? I assume the traditionally Itsekiri parts are in the West? It honestly shouldn't be that hard to come up with something fair and equitable. Or in the worst case, make the city jointly administered by both states, or something. . .
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2011
Beaf:

The purpose for which I created this thread was to draw attention to the need for true federalism and self reliance at a time when people were inundating the NASS with ridiculous demands for states that would have needed Abuja money to survive. I have never wanted an Urhobo state.
The thread was also posted at a time when NL was sensible; I never meant for this thread to attract ignorant bigots, barely literate donkeys or dunces.
Warri has drawn blood, it is now peaceful and is absolutely none of the business of a trouble making bigot like you.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked me a bigot
grin grin grin grin grin grin

just Shut up
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:44am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

Itsekiris are not leaving delta state. We have lived together with the Urhobos and all for years without fighting until the Delta crisis where they thought Awolowo was the cause of it and that Itsekiris wanted to take warri. As far as I know, no one is leaving except maybe Anoima igbos. There will only be division if Nigeria splits.

Fair enough, no big deal. I've personally always thought ethnically homogenous states (or rather, states with clear identities) tend to do the best, all other things equal. But if ya'll are happy with Delta, no wahala. Certainly no external forces should force you to split up.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 12:45am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

It is a pretty big city, is it not? I assume the traditionally Itsekiri parts are in the West? It honestly shouldn't be that hard to come up with something fair and equitable. Or in the worst case, make the city jointly administered by both states, or something. . .

hmm good point as well

but the city will then lack development because of the contest for power and greed of money from both state government

and also the locals will fight any majority (be it itsekiri or urhobo) so as to be in the state the majority of their people are in
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by sbeezy8: 12:46am On Apr 14, 2011
are uwkuani people igbo
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 12:46am On Apr 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Creation of more states in a region that remains underdeveloped even after more than 4 states have been added in the last 20 or so years alone?? (Bayelsa, Delta, Edo etc)? shocked grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

Yes oo . . . . lets create a state in your backyards even, that way we can give you more reasons to continue to ignore the major issues in the region, why you create more opportunities to steal from the people of the region . . . ROFLMAO!!

I am quite certain that the evil forest you emanate from is much less developed than Delta state by any development index.
After Lagos and Rivers, Delta is the most developed state in Nigeria. Only a woefully ignorant person would make the sort of post you did, but you never fail to dissapoint.

I recall you making the equally idiotic argument that Aondoakaa is from the ND. Dude, you are dim.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:47am On Apr 14, 2011
Alj Uche:

hmm good point as well

but the city will then lack development because of the contest for power and greed of money from both state government

and also the locals will fight any majority (be it itsekiri or urhobo) so as to be in the state the majority of their people are in
Why? It is in the interest of everyone for the city to be a success, isn't it? If the city is destroyed, everyone loses, right? Just come up with a power sharing agreement that is fair and that everyone respects. If you do that, then everything will be smooth sailing.

There will only be problems if one group tries to take it all for themselves. Otherwise, should be fine.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 12:48am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why is population size the basis for a state, though? They are considered a distinct ethnic group, and a pretty large part of Delta seems to be their historic territory. Why is their state considered non-viable?

Warri is the only major flashpoint, I thought?
I never understood this type of stuff personally. Igbo is Igbo, is it not? Why would they seek to be dominating each other. Just implement something like zoning if it such a big deal. People are too divisive and shortsighted, imo

You are quite right, warri was the only flash point. The reason behind it was all because of oil politics. The olu of itsekiri saga did not create the choas. It was when oil companies stated paying dividents to the traditional rulers, other ethnic groups thought the Olu was collecting much more money since is was the Olu of Warri. I have come to realise that it was not Awolowo's fault but a misunderstanding between neighbours which was bound to happen anyway.
For more info:
http://www.itsekiri.org/files/communique/communique_details.php?selected_id=79
Delta state is one big family although, personally, I will not support any ijaw expansionist agenda. Other than that, its a community. In fact, itsekiri's dressing is more related to the Urhobo than than Yoruba but the language and culture is closer to Ijebu, Igala etc.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:50am On Apr 14, 2011
Plus the nice thing about having a small state with not too many people is that you can develop it very quickly. Bayelsa for example if properly managed should grow very, very rapidly, eventually having the highest standard of living in Nigeria.

Similar principle applies for Itsekiriland.

So the "only 1 million people" arguments in my mind are irrelevant.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by aljharem(m): 12:50am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why? It is in the interest of everyone for the city to be a success, isn't it? If the city is destroyed, everyone loses, right? Just come up with a power sharing agreement that is fair and that everyone respects. If you do that, then everything will be smooth sailing.

T[b]here will only be problems if one group tries to take it all for themselves. Otherwise, should be fine.[/b]

and that is the problem

there will always be a group (likely ijaw) that will try to take it all for themselves
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:51am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

You are quite right, warri was the only flash point. The reason behind it was all because of oil politics. The olu of itsekiri saga did not create the choas. It was when oil companies stated paying dividents to the traditional rulers, other ethnic groups thought the Olu was collecting much more money since is was the Olu of Warri. I have come to realise that it was not Awolowo's fault but a misunderstanding between neighbours which was bound to happen anyway.
For more info:
Delta state is one big family although, personally, I will not support any ijaw expansionist agenda. Other than that, its a community. In fact, itsekiri's dressing is more related to the Urhobo than than Yoruba but the language and culture is closer to Ijebu, Igala etc.

I see. Thanks for that link.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 12:54am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Fair enough, no big deal. I've personally always thought ethnically homogenous states (or rather, states with clear identities) tend to do the best, all other things equal. But if ya'll are happy with Delta, no wahala. Certainly no external forces should force you to split up.
Dapo, if you notice, all HETEROGENEOUS cities in Nigeria are the most developed while the homogenous ones are less developed. Take a look at Lagos and the Igbo population(although not up to 25% of Lagos) hausa amongst other groups, River state and the Yoruba,Ijaws and Ikwerris that are mixing up amongst other ethnic groups.
Its the same with Delta state. We have Itsekiris,Urhobos, Ijaws, Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas etc. Hence, the development.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 12:57am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

Dapo, if you notice, all HETEROGENEOUS cities in Nigeria are the most developed while the homogenous ones are less developed. Take a look at Lagos and the Igbo population(although not up to 25% of Lagos) hausa amongst other groups, River state and the Yoruba,Ijaws and Ikwerris that are mixing up amongst other ethnic groups.
Its the same with Delta state. We have Itsekiris,Urhobos, Ijaws, Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas etc. Hence, the development.

You have the directionality wrong, in my opinion. Heterogeneity is a sign of some underlying factor (oil, trade, a port, etc) that attracts everyone. Diversity is not is what is causing the development  grin

That same Bayelsa I mentioned if managed properly will eventually become diverse, have a huge influx of non-indigenes (like Port Harcourt, Lagos, etc.)

Anyway, it is all good. . . so long as ya'll are happy with your situation, I'm content.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 1:01am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

For more info:

Dude, me and you can argue about these things and there will be no stress. However, if expansionist Yoruba people begin to stick their noses into affairs that dion't concern them (because they dream of new oil slaves), then we have a problem. We tend to be very mixed, I for one grew up in a house where we were scolded in at least 6 languages. We don't need problems from people with demonic suggestions.
Another thing is, the link you provided is far from factual, and will only give fuel to bigoted idiots from outside the state coming to stoke problems.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 1:02am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

You have the directionality wrong, in my opinion. Heterogeneity is a sign of some underlying factor (oil, trade, a port, etc) that attracts everyone. Diversity is not is what is causing the development  grin

No, you got that wrong. The development is spearheaded by the so-called attracted people (there is a difference between purchasing power of the people and the development of the city itself). Take a look at Lagos, without other Nigerians in it, it will be a dead city same with Delta and Rivers state.
Even the whites needed to import some slaves from Africa to spearhead their development. A diverse economy is very good for a Nation that wants to develop because the ideas will be dynamic not static.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 1:05am On Apr 14, 2011
Beaf:

Dude, me and you can argue about these things and there will be no stress. However, if expansionist Yoruba people begin to stick their noses into affairs that dion't concern them (because they dream of new oil slaves), then we have a problem. We tend to be very mixed, I for one grew up in a house where we were scolded in at least 6 languages. We don't need problems from people with demonic suggestions.
Another thing is, the link you provided is far from factual, and will only give fuel to bigoted idiots from outside the state coming to stoke problems.

shut up

this bigots should have slapped you when you entered murtala airport
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 1:08am On Apr 14, 2011
Beaf:

Delta is a VERY mixed society and I certainly do not entertain bigots (I may have before) that was why I stopped answering Alj harem on this thread. Dapo is simple asking questions and I see nothing wrong with it.
Btw, enlighten me about the truth in delta or simply post a link.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 1:10am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

No, you got that wrong. The development is spearheaded by the so-called attracted people (there is a difference between purchasing power of the people and the development of the city itself). Take a look at Lagos, without other Nigerians in it, it will be a dead city same with Delta and Rivers state.
Even the whites needed to import some slaves from Africa to spearhead their development. A diverse economy is very good for a Nation that wants to develop because the ideas will be dynamic not static.
Again, no. The dog is wagging the tail, not the tail wagging the dog. The growth of Lagos State's population from what, under 6 million in 1991 to probably 20+ million now should tell you what is driving what. Let's say 25% of the population ups and leaves tomorrow. Well, their spots will just be taken by others.

Now, if some underlying dynamic were to change? Then sure, I can see an argument for reduced growth.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 1:10am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

Delta is a VERY mixed society and I certainly do not entertain bigots (I may have before) that was why I stopped answering Alj harem on this thread. Dapo is simple asking questions and I see nothing wrong with it.
Btw, enlighten me about the truth in delta or simply post a link.

shattap dia

how am i a bigot undecided is it because i do not support jonathan undecided

mumu angry angry
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by sbeezy8: 1:11am On Apr 14, 2011
dont mind beaf i have cousins who are urhobo and itsekiri and 2 campaigning for delta gov his personal assistants

and ish its NOT PEACHES N CREAM IN DELTA STATE between ethnic groups far from the truth.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 1:15am On Apr 14, 2011
This "oil slave" hypothesis is scaremongering, in my opinion. I've never really heard of Ondo State (which produces 10% of naija's oil) complaining about being marginalized or oppressed by some nefarious Yoruba agenda. I don't even know how it would happen, given the current laws of the land.

As tyrant11's posts from a few weeks ago shows. . . if naija disintegrates, Yorubaland would be fine and self-sufficient.

So in a nutshell, this is not an attempt to landgrab Itsekiriland away from Delta.

Anyway, Jason, I'd suggest you talk to your own elders/parents about this stuff, ask them if there has ever been this concern. I'm curious to hear what they would say (or other politically inclined Itsekiri would say.)
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by ektbear: 1:18am On Apr 14, 2011
sbeezy8:

dont mind beaf i have cousins who are urhobo and itsekiri and 2 campaigning for delta gov his personal assistants

and ish its NOT PEACHES N CREAM IN DELTA STATE between ethnic groups far from the truth.

Hehe, that DPP is giving your boy Uduaghan chills, isn't it? grin tongue wink

I googled Great Ogburu. Interesting guy.
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Obiagu1(m): 1:25am On Apr 14, 2011
Solution.

Move Itsekiri to Ondo State,
Move Ijaw to Bayelsa State
Create Urhobo State and Anioma State.

Then there will be peace in Delta State (mini Nigeria).
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 1:26am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

This "oil slave" hypothesis is scaremongering, in my opinion. I've never really heard of Ondo State (which produces 10% of naija's oil) complaining about being marginalized or oppressed by some nefarious Yoruba agenda. I don't even know how it would happen, given the current laws of the land.

As tyrant11's posts from a few weeks ago shows. . . if naija disintegrates, Yorubaland would be fine and self-sufficient.

So in a nutshell, this is not an attempt to landgrab Itsekiriland away from Delta.

Anyway, Jason, I'd suggest you talk to your own elders/parents about this stuff, ask them if there has ever been this concern.

About disintegration and all, that is a TOTALLY different topic. I support Beaf on the "we must move as a block" in the ND. That was why I was telling Beaf earlier that the ND cannot simply move without the absolute support of the Igbo and Yoruba. Why? It is through you guys that the Nigerian army will come to the ND and if you guys do not fight back, it will be a massacre. Secondly, I (I do not talk for my people because its is hypocritical for anyone to do that) will not move to a country with Igbos as the majority because it simply means we will be back to square one. It has to be Southern Nigeria (with Igbos and Yorubas to balance things up) with federalism and resource control. A live and let live society.

I know you do not want to take Itsekiri land and why would you?? The whole south has oil anyway. There is no comparative advantage between the SW,SS and SE. I even heard that the SE has more oil than the SS  undecided .
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by sbeezy8: 1:26am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe, that DPP is giving your boy Uduaghan chills, isn't it? grin tongue wink

I googled Great Ogburu. Interesting guy.

lol beaf thinks dpp is to urhobo LOL. but from the pics they post during the campaign shiot looks crazy takin boats from one village to another that def aint the part i went to.

the urhobos were arguing that hes not doing anything in urhobo areas

Im not in delta state but from what my cuzzos say its like hes the best  lipsrsealed lmfao
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by jason123: 1:27am On Apr 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

Solution.

Move Itsekiri to Ondo State,
Move Ijaw to Bayelsa State
Create Urhobo State and Anioma State.

Then there will be peace in Delta State (mini Nigeria).

There is already peace in Delta. What is your problem
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Obiagu1(m): 1:28am On Apr 14, 2011
jason123:

There is already peace in Delta. What is your problem

I know, the same peace we have in Nigeria, right?
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by sbeezy8: 1:34am On Apr 14, 2011
theres no itsekiri person in warri who doesnt have urhobo relative and vice versa
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 1:35am On Apr 14, 2011
Alj Uche:

shut up

this bigots should have slapped you when you entered murtala airport

Lol! I can imagine you, a malnourished baby born under the hot afternoon sun with debilating kwashiokor, attempting to slap someone bursting with robust health! No be die you wan die?! grin
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by Beaf: 1:37am On Apr 14, 2011
Re: Request For The Creation Of An Urhobo State by AljUche: 1:40am On Apr 14, 2011
Beaf:

Lol! I can imagine you, a malnourished baby born under the hot afternoon sun with debilating kwashiokor, attempting to slap someone bursting with robust health! No be die you wan die?! grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin

well we shall see wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ribadu Report: Sack, Prosecute Oil Minister — Labour, SNG, Others / Ras Kimono: Governor Okowa Reacts To Death Of Reggae Icon / Patience Jonathan: Children, Children, How Old Is Independence Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.