Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,389 members, 7,812,150 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15045 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2010
My father owns apartments, lemme check with him Cool
I think Ossis too as well, if im not mistaken Grin

ahahahaha its on front page, get read

Emmm, which father, oh ur papa?
I'm not talking of a thatch house in Okpalla. . .pleeeze
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 3:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
@ Topic
 Even that so-called bad belly is been once again clearly demonstrated here on this thread, can't understand where some people got their brain from.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
platinumnk:

Dammm u too !!?? I thought I was the only one grin grin

I still say you guys are lyin to yourselves in Nigeria! How come there are 3 pages that assert us as love-peddlers or Janitors?

Since when?

If being a Janitor earns enough to drive a Range Rover, then hell Im in the wrong field cheesy

Please tell me what opportunities? Kidnappers? Armed Robbery?
Why are our graduates roaming the streets?

People do menial jobs everywhere . .  and do I need to tell you the same about kidnapping and armed robbey?

I'm not claiming that the standard of living inNigeria is ideal, but like I pointed out earlier, a lot of  people have better opportunities here than you do over there!

Nigeria is a country where only the strong survive as opposed to the easy come easy go way of life over there!

If you were in Nigeria, chances are that you wouldnt be where you are today but there are people even younger than you are, living in Nigeria, who are doing way better than you are.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2010
People do menial jobs everywhere . . and do I need to tell you the same about kidnapping and armed robbey?

I'm not claiming that the standard of living inNigeria is ideal, but like I pointed out earlier, a lot of people have better opportunities here than you do over there!

Nigeria is a country where only the strong survive as opposed to the easy come easy go way of life over there!

If you were in Nigeria, chances are that you wouldnt be where you are today but there are people even younger than you are, living in Nigeria, who are doing way better than you are.

She wouldnt know because she interracts with semi illiterates who see her as their shinning star.
You're living in the dark ages. You probably are running from immigration. Come home and see life. You're wasting away.
You might return at 60yrs with just 2 suitcases and realize u've wasted ur life.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2010
Note to all: Kindly carry out your conversations/arguments within the confines of the rules of the forum.

Any offenders will be punished. Thanks
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 3:49pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

Is that how u left? It's shameful. I have a 5yrs UK visa, 6mths US visa and a German visa on my P right now yet i'm at my cozy office in Asokoro.
Too bad u had to go through that process.

Your hometown and family must be backward. If a McDonalds staff is their shinning star, i pity una.
With my fab life, i'm still a smallie in the family.

That includes you.
You are sounding so defensive there so obviously the shoe fits.
You are the typical Nigerian that frequents all the embassies looking for a visa to go to Gabon sef grin
Persin we go Gabon go abroad?
grin grin grin
abegi
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by shadrach77: 3:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
@poster - must you post your location on your profile? must people know where you are from?  embarassed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

Note to all: Kindly carry out your conversations/arguments within the confines of the rules of the forum.

Kai
I miss the old debo I knew in 2006 and 2007.
This mod thing don turn you into headmaster with pupils
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 3:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
shadrach77:

@poster - must you post your location on your profile? must people know where you are from? embarassed

Whats wrong in doing that? and why all these hating?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 3:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
All these irritating Diaspora vs Nigerian threads.
One will think with all their supposed education that common sense will teach them that 1 does not always equal 2 i.e ona kan o woja (Not only one road leads to the market).
Awon arindin. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 3:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

[/b]

She wouldnt know because she interracts with semi illiterates who see her as their shinning star.
You're living in the dark ages. You probably are running from immigration. Come home and see life. You're wasting away.
You might return at 60yrs with just 2 suitcases and realize u've wasted your life.

Biko be quiet
How many people have jobs in Nigeria talk less of reasonable ones
what fraction of the population is that?
If Nigeria was all that how come many of you looking for ways to escape.
Why do you bring your 10 month pregnant wives here to have US citizen babies?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 3:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

People do menial jobs everywhere . .  and do I need to tell you the same about kidnapping and armed robbey?

I'm not claiming that the standard of living inNigeria is ideal, but like I pointed out earlier, a lot of  people have better opportunities here than you do over there!

Again- which kind opportunites?
Please be frank,  instead of spreading fallacies with no proof.
I know doctors who went home and came right back,I have friends who is leaving medical school in nigeria to come her to enroll. What opportunities?

My brother got sick in Lagos, and the doctors wanted to cut his appendix?
Please!!! Dont make me laugh!

Why is Nigeria so crappy? Not even AC in Lagos airport unless you go to their first class lounge?
Which is off the chain  grin grin

Ujujoan:

So from your assumptions, I am not strong, and I wouldnt be where I was unless I lived in the US.
Proves you dont know me at all at all?
you think US handed my money through my window? What kinda nonsense are you talking?

Only the Strong with will survive in the US also? you think Obama is sending everybody checks?
Do I school and work hard?
Come again?
You making yourself look bad grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
That includes you.
You are sounding so defensive there so obviously the shoe fits.
You are the typical Nigerian that frequents all the embassies looking for a visa to go to Gabon sef Grin
Persin we go Gabon go abroad?

You probably have seen a Range Sports from afar, i use one.
I would scan my passport pages and put it here for u.
So u people abroad are still this backward? Shakes head in pity
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by comechop(m): 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Wow this thread exemplifies the problems with naija today.
So much bad belle/haters out here today! Ok, one of you pls explain to me - why do we still see thousands upon thousands of nigerians lining up various embassies, trying to escape naija? Is it cos they have money to waste like that??
I'll tell you what abroad (for the most part) gives you that naija doenst (yet) have - security, opportunities, BASIC living amenities etc etc. You can struggle and SUCCEED here - for naija you may struggle till you die

And all you haters, hating on pple doing menial jobs - listen. I have an uncle, when he first came here, he suffered - worked odd jobs, ihop, mcdonalds, wash plates, delivered newspapers etc etc name it you did it - he suffered initially, but now he is LIVING LARGE - seeing the fruits of his labor. Has multiple houses, cars and those vanities that you pple consider success.

In naija, you will see our graduates roaming the streets in search of jobs etc, no need to talk bout basic stuff like water, light, security, internet etc etc.
To each his own sha. Just stop hating ya'll.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
My purpose of posting this thread has been derailed by a few 'children'.

Let me bring this back into perspective.

Original question was ' why all the abuse from our brothers and sisters back home when all we are doing is trying to contribute to the political and economic progress of our country '.

But for those abusing Nigerians back home, no matter what you cannot tell me you do not miss home.

I travel home now and again and was their last year Easter. To be honest I did not want to come back to the UK despite having a well paid job with a beautiful family .

In fact my children were very overjoyed and told me on the first day we arrived, we love Nigeria.

This has nothing to do with wealth or status but simple things like the warm weather, good food and family plus plenty of space to enjoy.

Obviously there is high crime but if you submit a humble appearance and avoid bragging you are safe but mostly by God's grace.

Secondly, for those of you back home making empty boasts, let me ask you with all your wealth what have you done to improve the lot of Nigeria? In the midst of so much poverty does it make you feel better to drive a Benz or range rover? Is that the criteria you use to measure the success of Nigeria?

It is people like you that make Nigeria what it is today, flaunting money around, some of it ill gotten wealth to prove how much better you are then others.

Most of you travel abroad and all the crap means nothing

Please lets all join hands and contribute to the welfare of our nation or should we say respective to be nations, lol.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by kawazaki(m): 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

You probably have seen a Range Sports from afar, i use one.
I would scan my passport pages and put it here for u.
So u people abroad are still this backward? Shakes head in pity

That's too far.

Don't let me start doubting you
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 3:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

yes masssa grin grin

0hsisi:

Biko be quiet
How many people have jobs in Nigeria talk less of reasonable ones
what fraction of the population is that?
If Nigeria was all that how come many of you looking for ways to escape.
Why do you bring your 10 month pregnant wives here to have US citizen babies?

abeg!  grin grin grin

Aqva:

[/b]

You might return at 60yrs with just 2 suitcases and realize u've wasted your life.
NA! lol running from immigration? I am trying to work there, to stop all you crazies from entering in grin
Last time I came home I returned with 14 cases grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Why must only the strong survive?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2010
platinumnk:

Again- which kind opportunites?
Please be frank,  instead of spreading fallacies with no proof.
I know doctors who went home and came right back,I have friends who is leaving medical school in nigeria to come her to enroll. What opportunities?

My brother got sick in Lagos, and the doctors wanted to cut his appendix?
Please!!! Dont make me laugh!

Why is Nigeria so crappy? Not even AC in Lagos airport unless you go to their first class lounge?
Which is off the chain  grin grin
So from your assumptions, I am not strong, and I wouldnt be where I was unless I lived in the US.
Proves you dont know me at all at all?
you think US handed my money through my window? What kinda nonsense are you talking?

Only the Strong with will survive in the US also? you think Obama is sending everybody checks?
Do I school and work hard?
Come again?
You making yourself look bad grin

Thank you.
This is a place where hardwork pays
What pays in Nigeria is thievery and swindling in all quarters.

Even those that do menial jobs here can put food on the table and take care of themselves while they go to school to better themselves
While their counterparts in Naija  with master's degrees are selling recharge cards on 3rd mainland bridge living in squalor in a rough area of town.
That is the lot of the average Nigerian graduate
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 4:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
shadrach77:

@poster - must you post your location on your profile? must people know where you are from?  embarassed

You are required by forum rules to state your location in your profile wink

0hsisi:

Kai
I miss the old debo I knew in 2006 and 2007.
This mod thing don turn you into headmaster with pupils

cry cry

I am becoming an old man.  grin

I am always amazed when people point to individual lives (e.g I own 10 houses and have 10 visas) to prove they are better off, without any reference to how their environment has improved because of their input. Is it that Nigerians are so personally focused or because the nation is so messed up that the only option is to look inwardly at your self/family?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
We're not saying naija is developed, far from it.
We're saying most of us educated peeps who work hard in Naija are better off than 90% of our contemporaries abroad.

We're very comfortable while most of you slave inside the cold, are paid minimum wage, run from immigration, leave in cheap apartments with no heating, buy stuffs from 99p shops and JC Penny.

When u see some of us who come for hols, u pple always beg us to drop small thing before returning home.
Granted, 10% of u live well but that 10% are serious hard working professionals or criminals and wont have time to chat trash on NL.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

And the definition "strong" in Nigeria means criminal minded
It is the criminals in Nigeria that survive big time
Most people who want to be upright and do the right times don't survive in Nigeria
But if you sabi mago mago well well and know how to cover your tracks,you'll do well
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
comechop:

And all you haters, hating on pple doing menial jobs - listen. I have an uncle, when he first came here, he suffered - worked odd jobs, ihop, mcdonalds, wash plates, delivered newspapers etc etc name it you did it - he suffered initially, but now he is LIVING LARGE - seeing the fruits of his labor. Has multiple houses, cars and those vanities that you pple consider success.

In naija, you will see our graduates roaming the streets in search of jobs etc, no need to talk bout basic stuff like water, light, security, internet etc etc.
To each his own sha. Just stop hating ya'll.

thank you!
frosbel:

My purpose of posting this thread has been derailed by a few 'children'.

Let me bring this back into perspective.

Original question was ' why all the abuse from our brothers and sisters back home when all we are doing is trying to contribute to the political and economic progress of our country '.

But for those abusing Nigerians back home, no matter what you cannot tell me you do not miss home.

I travel home now and again and was their last year Easter. To be honest I did not want to come back to the UK despite having a well paid job with a beautiful family .

In fact my children were very overjoyed and told me on the first day we arrived, we love Nigeria.

This has nothing to do with wealth or status but simple things like the warm weather, good food and family plus plenty of space to enjoy.

Obviously there is high crime but if you submit a humble appearance and avoid bragging you are safe but mostly by God's grace.

Secondly, for those of you back home making empty boasts, let me ask you with all your wealth what have you done to improve the lot of Nigeria? In the midst of so much poverty does it make you feel better to drive a Benz or range rover? Is that the criteria you use to measure the success of Nigeria?

It is people like you that make Nigeria what it is today, flaunting money around, some of it ill gotten wealth to prove how much better you are then others.

Most of you travel abroad and all the crap means nothing

Please lets all join hands and contribute to the welfare of our nation or should we say respective to be nations, lol.

Abeg please choose a side grin

After they all called us poo lickers, then you have the mouth to run? angry

Let me speak the truth!

I love my village because of the scenery, the freshness, and the quietness in the morning, nothing more,  Lagos and Abuja is not a big deal.

and again, Why is Nigeria not a shining star, since every one is balling?

Id rather own a Ranger rover in the midst of people who own the same, than to Drive a Range when people are treking or taking cramped vans to travel lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 4:06pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

We're saying most of us educated peeps who work hard in Naija are better off than 90% of our contemporaries abroad.

We're very comfortable while most of you slave inside the cold, are paid minimum wage, run from immigration, leave in cheap apartments with no heating, buy stuffs from 99p shops and JC Penny.

When u see some of us who come for hols, u pple always beg us to drop small thing before returning home.
Granted, 10% of u live well but that 10% are serious hard working professionals or criminals and wont have time to chat trash on NL.

Lol. FALSE! grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

See this one grin grin your mates are laughing at you in that cafe! grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

cry cry

I am always amazed when people point to individual lives (e.g I own 10 houses and have 10 visas) to prove they are better off, without any reference to how their environment has improved because of their input. Is it that Nigerians are so personally focused or because the nation is so messed up that the only option is to look inwardly at your self/family?

Exactly and these are the kind of greediness that led that country to her present state
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Badriyyah(f): 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
OK PEOPLE CALM DOWN, Nigeria isn't heaven, neither are the other countries some Nigerians flock to, there are always going to be people who don't make it while some people achieve the greatest success. Not every Nigerian back home is poor and the same for Nigerians away. And does it matter what job any Nigerian has?? I would rather see my fellow country men earning a decent living that sitting at home doing NOTHING, or deciding to become criminals because there is no other choice, shows how shallow some people are when they "label" jobs.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
Aqva:

This is the mentally of the average Nigerian in Nigeria
Things are of more value to you when you pay more for them.
People here buy things from those 99 cent stores you loathe,bring them home,mark up the prices and sell them to you and you rush them because they came from America.
Some Nigerians in Nigeria come here and do what I just descibed.
One bought wristwatches from K mart at $7 and sold it to you so called rich Nigerians for thousands aof dollars
Ode grin
where exactly did you get your 10% figure from?
is that what makes you feel better about the squalor you live in?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

cry cry

You speak well.

Better opportunties my foot grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

You know there is a reason why it's called a 'developing' country! It's something that all those countries you guys are running to passed through!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Jephyard(m): 4:13pm On Mar 22, 2010
They nothing going on down and worst of all all info are gotten fron CNN which already pose bad image to us here. so if they need to talk they should the one downhere and not just open those things out. angry
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by bee444: 4:16pm On Mar 22, 2010
@poster and some of y'all supporting his view should just keep quiet and listen! (not an insult)

I believe some of @poster's family member's here in Nigeria are also jealous of him, let alone his friends.

They're not jealous of you but rather mad at your world views. You were once like them but now trying to be someone else.

Western knowledge should not change our moral values, beliefs and the bonds we've for so long shared.

Out of frustrations and to some because of limited resources, home coming has not been easier for Nigerians in diaspora.

The people in Nigeria should try and appreciate Nigerians in diaspora for their little contributions and also pray for their sweet home coming.

I tell y'all, never easy in those western countries. Think about the racism these people have to overcome, the job discrimination they had to go through, the settlement papers they had to fight for. Pls think about these things! The longer you stay abroad, the more reason you wanna make it big b4 returning back home.

Respect

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

One Injured As Explosion Rocks Osun / Censorship: Good or Bad? / Biography Of Babajide Sanwo-olu And His Wife Dr Mrs Ibijoke Sanwo-olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.