Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15054 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 3:33pm On Mar 23, 2010
dayokanu:

Worship white people? Do you know some Nigerians abroad have jobs that 80% of white people wish they do?

300k a month is less than $2000. People working in call centers earn about that.
A lot of people earning #300k a month still left their jobs in Nigeria

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Is that the conversion?
Just 2000K Ok im outta here,
Rolling on the Floor laughing my head off grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by tanimz(f): 3:44pm On Mar 23, 2010
Interesting cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 3:46pm On Mar 23, 2010
Someone with a Masters would earn at least $4000 a month which translates to over #600k
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 3:54pm On Mar 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

I don't have anything against 'foreign based Nairalanders' but frankly speaking some of them can be very stoopid and dumb. I still remember a thread that was posted by a diasporan Nairalander late last year on which he said he was coming home to  Naija very soon and he wants to know if it's safe cos he'll be moving around a lot and he has some expensive high-tech gadgets like an i-pod, rolex wristwatch etc like sey we no get all these things for Naija already.  Imagine the kain stoopid audacity. . .!

Lol. I remember some dude telling me that he couldn't come to Nigeria because he was scared Nigerians were going to steal the UK residence permit in his passport. Oh lordy. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 3:56pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Is that the conversion?
Just 2000K Ok im outta here,
Rolling on the Floor laughing my head off grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

How about $1800 per week? what do you say about that? not even a master holder oo, still in this same Nigeria.

Information is power.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 23, 2010
offtopic - income wise  its not really about $3000 v3 #million - but how much of that money do u actually take home?

and hey both nigeria and the us have armed robbery - though victims in the us have  better opportunities for redress

as to business opportunities - there are business opportunities in nigeria - its just that mosty of us are too fixated on buying and selling

btw - a lot of the good life y'all in the states are on about is debt - which is what almost did y'all in.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:01pm On Mar 23, 2010
honeric01:

How about $1800 per week? what do you say about that? not even a master holder oo, still in this same Nigeria.

Information is power.

roughly about 86K, nice but not 4000 a week grin
oyb:

offtopic - income wise its not really about $3000 v3 #million - but how much of that money do u actually take home?

and hey both nigeria and the us have armed robbery - though victims in the us have better opportunities for redress

\

yes but some of has insurance against robbery! if someone steals my car, Ill have a another next week tongue

and it doesnt take 2 days for the police to arrive grin
plus we have a liscense to carry firearms- keep it on the dashboard cool
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:02pm On Mar 23, 2010
oyb:

offtopic - income wise  its not really about $3000 v3 #million - but how much of that money do u actually take home?
and hey both nigeria and the us have armed robbery - though victims in the us have  better opportunities for redress

Another good point.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

roughly about 86K, nice but not 4000 a week grin \

That is after tax and all that, is that $400 a week after tax?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 4:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

yes but some of has insurance against robbery! if someone steals my car, Ill have a another next week tongue

Ahem. There is insurance in Nigeria as well, madam.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
honeric01:

That is after tax and all that, is that $400 a week after tax?

if you operate your own business, then you know how to work the taxes grin grin
The Us Does not tax Ebay  grin

spikedcylinder:

Ahem. There is insurance in Nigeria as well, madam.
I heard, and I was glad, but how feasible is it? I havent heard any good reviews, and isnt it mostly in Lagos, with a lot of restrictions?
Even the GPS tracing thing . . .

No mind me Spiky- Im just poking ribs today kiss
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

roughly about 86K, nice but not 4000 a week grin \

and it doesnt take 2 days for the police to arrive grin
plus we have a liscense to carry firearms- keep it on the dashboard cool

eh? and who says our cars aren't insured if we so wish?

a license to carry firearms - a lot of people don't see that as good thing - what with school shooters and all
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 23, 2010
I heard, and I was glad, but how feasible is it? I havent heard any good reviews, and isnt it mostly in Lagos, with a lot of restrictions?
Even the GPS tracing thing . . .

you must be listening to the wrong people. i have a friend whose car was snatched at gunpoint he was reimbursed.

the issue with insurance is the same issue y'all have over there - they shaft the little guy if they feel they can get away with it
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:13pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

if you operate your own business, then you know how to work the taxes grin grin
The Us Does not tax Ebay  grin

lol, eBay, now i know you're being sincere here, you want to tell me that you make an average of $4000 on eBay every week, what do you sell on eBay that guaranty you a $4000 bill? (i know lot about eBay so I'm waiting for you to err) tongue

Yes i operate my biz and i know what comes to my pocket every week excluding tax/bills and i don't have to work with anyone's schedule.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:15pm On Mar 23, 2010
oyb:

eh? and who says our cars aren't insured if we so wish?

a license to carry firearms - a lot of people don't see that as good thing - what with school shooters and all

Well sweets, its better to have something than nothing. Especially if you're a woman. Watched those madea movies? grin grin grin

oyb:

you must be listening to the wrong people. i have a friend whose car was snatched at gunpoint he was reimbursed.

the issue with insurance is the same issue y'all have over there - they shaft the little guy if they feel they can get away with it

When they start covering Owerri let me know smiley
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 4:16pm On Mar 23, 2010

Information is power

Nice try but in this same America, I have seen Naija guys not even with a Masters earn $80/hr Last month I met a Kenyan who makes $110 an hour

income wise  its not really about $3000 v3 #million - but how much of that money do u actually take home?

and hey both nigeria and the us have armed robbery - though victims in the us have  better opportunities for redress

And whats wrong in paying for the amenities you enjoy in the form of taxes?

Robbery in the US can never be on the same level in Nigeria.
In the US as long as you dont live in the hood. But in Nigeria regardless of the area you live Armed robbers always strike. before I left Naija in 2008 a female partner (American) in the organisation I worked with who stays in a service flat of $50k a year on Admiralty way Lekki was robbed and her houseboy was thrown from the third floor she was beaten mercilessly and all her stuff were stolen.
In the US you can go out any time of the night without fearing anything.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 4:18pm On Mar 23, 2010
Plat, some people will soon e-beat you and I will be leading the pack. Mob mentality and all. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:21pm On Mar 23, 2010
honeric01:

lol, eBay, now i know you're being sincere here, you want to tell me that you make an average of $4000 on eBay every week, what do you sell on eBay that guaranty you a $4000 bill? (i know lot about eBay so I'm waiting for you to err) tongue

Yes i operate my biz and i know what comes to my pocket every week excluding tax/bills and i don't have to work with anyone's schedule.

grin grin did I say I do only Ebay  grin I squeeze 72 hours in 24 with my schedule grin
And no I dont make 4000 per week,[size=2pt] <- (Family)[/size]yet  cheesy but Im decent wink
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:21pm On Mar 23, 2010
dayokanu:

Nice try but in this same America, I have seen Naija guys not even with a Masters earn $80/hr Last month I met a Kenyan who makes $110 an hour

But with a degree? can someone with formal education end that much? i mean an immigrant?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2010
dayokanu:

In the US as long as you dont live in the hood. But in Nigeria regardless of the area you live Armed robbers always strike. before I left Naija in 2008 a female partner (American) in the organisation I worked with who stays in a service flat of $50k a year on Admiralty way Lekki was robbed and her houseboy was thrown from the third floor she was beaten mercilessly and all her stuff were stolen.

not excatly a robbery, but is richmond high in the hood?

http://www.google.com.ng/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=prom+gang+rape&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:25pm On Mar 23, 2010
dayokanu:

+1
honeric01:

But with a degree? can someone with formal education end that much? i mean an immigrant?
Whats wrong with earning a degree? My sister is studying Nurse Anesthsiology- The starting salary is 100K
Thats whats wrong with Nigeria, you cant go to school and study and get a job.
You graduate, and just sit there undecided

spikedcylinder:

Plat, some people will soon e-beat you and I will be leading the pack. Mob mentality and all. grin grin grin
Bring it Missy kiss kiss kiss , Its all fun anyway smiley It doesnt detract away from my automatic start in my car grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:27pm On Mar 23, 2010
oyb:

http://www.google.com.ng/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=prom+gang+despoil&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

that was a shameful thing that happened with hispanics, thats irrelevant embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 4:29pm On Mar 23, 2010

Yes these guys are immigrants.

The Kenyan guy doesnt even have a green card.

Check www.dice.com. This a site for IT jobs and see what some positions have to offer and the required qualificatrion is a GED High school equivalent of SSCE
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:29pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

grin grin did I say I do only Ebay  grin I squeeze 72 hours in 24 with my schedule grin
And no I dont make 4000 per week,[size=2pt] <- (Family)[/size]yet  cheesy but Im decent wink

lol, i knew that, was just expecting you to open up. eBay is not a money spinning website, you only get what you offer and they even end up sharing your % with you.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

+1Whats wrong with earning a degree? My sister is studying Nurse Anesthsiology- The starting salary is 100K
Bring it Missy kiss kiss kiss , Its all fun anyway smiley It doesnt detract away from my automatic start in my car grin grin grin

*rooooooolz eyez*
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2010
cheesy grin cheesy

@post
The same reason those peeps abroad have a serious bias against those at home undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

that was a shameful thing that happened with hispanics, thats irrelevant embarassed embarassed embarassed

eh - Hispanics aren't americans? gang rape is their sole province?

you realise that you sound just the way white peopl do when they talk about black on black crime?

no gang rape in colleges populated by whites/blacks?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 4:35pm On Mar 23, 2010

Oyb,

I have worked in the two societies and I know the difference. As at 2008 robber strike on Falomo at least 3 times a week. This is Falomo in Ikoyi on of the highbrow areas in lagos Nigeria.
in 2 weeks while in Naija some colleague would be robbed between VI and 3rd mainland taking Falomo. which is a highbrow area.

I am not talking of APongbon which is a known robbers den. In 2007 did you hear of the young igbo lady who works for Erikkson that was killed at Apongbon by robbers?.

I have lived in At least 3 US cities and never seen highway robbery before.

Anyone who has lived in the west before Pls tell us how many times you were robbed while you were in UK or US
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 4:37pm On Mar 23, 2010
platinumnk:

Whats wrong with earning a degree? My sister is studying Nurse Anesthsiology- The starting salary is 100K

Did i say anything was wrong with a degree? he said someone earns $110/hr and i said that must be because he's got a formal education, but can someone with no pally earn that high? though skillful people are rewarded robustly in the US, but you must be skilled or with pally to earn anything of such.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:39pm On Mar 23, 2010
honeric01:

lol, i knew that, was just expecting you to open up. eBay is not a money spinning website, you only get what you offer and they even end up sharing your % with you.

Well ebay is not bad if you know what you're selling, if you are into stuff that everyone sells then you wont make much due to competition.
Now if u purchase something whole sale for 230 and sell it for 530 a pop minus shipping (15) then its easier on your hands, though ebay gets greedy, so you set up your own site once you get enough stable customers.

Ujujoan:

*rooooooolz eyez*

Who send you? you didnt have enough yesterday? cheesy cheesy

oyb:

eh - Hispanics aren't americans? gang despoil is their sole province?

you realise that you sound just the way white peopl do when they talk about black on black crime?

no gang despoil in colleges populated by whites/blacks?

No but you are posting something irrelevant to the topic.
The girl knew the gang, and it was said it was some type of gang initiation.
I didnt say they were not Americans, but when Fulanis kill Igbos dont we classify them?
Moreover, that was in a highschool. I dont see how it points to this topic undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 23, 2010
I have lived in At least 3 US cities and never seen highway robbery before.

Anyone who has lived in the west before Pls tell us how many times you were robbed while you were in UK or US

but you have bank robberies, not so

you have snipers

you have hostage takers

you have fellas like the unabomber
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:43pm On Mar 23, 2010
honeric01:

Did i say anything was wrong with a degree? he said someone earns $110/hr and i said that must be because he's got a formal education, but can someone with no pally earn that high? though skillful people are rewarded robustly in the US, but you must be skilled or with pally to earn anything of such.

I heard you but thats the problem I am saying. If I work hard and study and earn my degree, and choose the right field, Im pretty sure I can find a nice job to live comfortably. But how many graduates in Nigeria can we find like that? Yes you have your side business as well, which is good, but not everyone is the same, Id rather a country that offers both an opportunity for Studious people, and also for people who like working for themselves.

You understand what Im saying? You even said it yesterday, how your brother expected to earn a nice salary when he finished school?

My sister rather earn her degrees and work, I rather own my own business. See the difference?
Understand me now? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Biography Of Babajide Sanwo-olu And His Wife Dr Mrs Ibijoke Sanwo-olu / Censorship: Good or Bad? / One Injured As Explosion Rocks Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.