Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,184 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15046 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:27pm On Mar 22, 2010
comechop:

Wow. Tell me - what is wrong in doing menial jobs - to make ends meet?? Are we soo proud as Nigerians?? Its all about personal choice - many people would choose to do a menial job, and have security and peace of mind, than to go the 419/yahoo boys route to get quick cash.
I get so pissed when nigerians at home make fun of others that are doing menial hard work - hustling to have a better life. You are an idiot if you think it is something to be ashamed of.

And yes, every country has its own malaria - pedophilia, serial killers, clifford orji, jos wahala and co. The difference is simple.

The law (for the most part) works here. In naija - everyman for himself.
Law ko law ni, when all of you jettison out of here who do you expect to stay back and work to make the law work?
See una mouth like do menial jobs, mscheeeewwww!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
comechop:

Wow. Tell me - what is wrong in doing menial jobs - to make ends meet?? Are we soo proud as Nigerians?? Its all about personal choice - many people would choose to do a menial job, and have security and peace of mind, than to go the 419/yahoo boys route to get quick cash.
I get so pissed when nigerians at home make fun of others that are doing menial hard work - hustling to have a better life. You are an idiot if you think it is something to be ashamed of.

And yes, every country has its own malaria - pedophilia, serial killers, clifford orji, jos wahala and co. The difference is simple.

The law (for the most part) works here. In naija - everyman for himself.
I agree, I believe one must crawl before he/she can walk, working your way up the ladder, goodness, everyone must start from somewhere, not everyone is given the same opportunity, education wise, neither is everyone's dad Bill Gates
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Oh, I thought we were all paupers down here!  undecided

yeah perhaps 0.5% of you are not paupers.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

You don't get it - the foreigners are ripping Nigeria off BECAUSE things are so bad. They get MASSIVE hardship allowances because the country is in a mess and they have to be compensated for living in such a place.

How can that make anyone happy that you need to be paid ridiculous amounts of money to consider living in your own country??

Why do you need 50,000 to do well?

It is a highly presumptive argument to say people left because they had no choice - people make choices everyday. Choices to move abroad or to stay, based on their own evaluations and considerations.

You might consider making millions your priority (most Nigerians do). Some others might prioritize having peace of mind and meeting their basic needs while able to live in an orderly society. To each his own.

The desperate attempt to prove 'equality' by saying 'people are making it in Nigeria' is way off point.

We keep thinking 'people are making it' but never think how do we improve the lot of the overwhelming majority NOT making it.

But no, according to you, the ones that could make it never left. . . .that is as intelligent as saying that everyone in Nigeria is a pauper.

The poster asked a question! You guys said it was because we were jealous! And while I tried to think about how that made any sense, someone said she earned more than our parents! I dont consider that an insult because I earn more than my parents, but I thought you guys need to realize that we are not all paupers down here!

I sleep with my eyes wide open at night, I fear for my life, but I dont want to beleive that you guys dont know that crime exists everywhere! The high rate is peculiar to Nigeria, but that's not just my responsibility to correct, it's yours too. And if you think living abroad exepmts you of that, then you must be joking!

More than any other person, I know our country is in dire need of reforms, and I understand the level of rot in the economy. But I'm not taking the coward's way out like you guys did and I think that's something to be proud of!

davidylan:

I respectfully take exception to that "insult". I had no intentions of working in Nigeria and never did . . . how do you automatically assume "i couldnt do well here"? I came here to take advantage of opportunities that do not exist in Nigeria. There are a few of us who would like to do something else besides work in a bank or oil company just for the money. The vast majority of Nigerians like you unfortunately have NO job security, inflation, poor exchange rate and low living index ensures much of your take home pay is a mirage . . . it isnt really worth more than the paper notes they are written on.

Funny enough, most of the executive positions in Nigeria seem to be reserved for Nigerians who return from abroad . . . just wait until i come and take over as your boss.  grin u'll pay for that statement you made.

Okay, I wasnt' taking about you personally because I don't know you that well. I was just using u as an example!  grin  grin

Guys, I would love to stay and chat, but i have to go and buy fuel for my generator.  cheesy  tongue
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

More than any other person, I know our country is in dire need of reforms, and I understand the level of rot in the economy. But I'm not taking the coward's way out like you guys did and I think that's something to be proud of!

No, i think its because you havent been presented with the opportunity yet. I'm sure if you were presented with a US passport today you would not turn it down . . . so much for being "brave".

Leaving the country is NOT taking the "coward's way out". Some people were born in foreign countries and so have a right to claim it as their home just as much as Nigeria. Others have made a conscious decision to reside outside Nigeria for reasons best known to them . . . it has nothing to do with bravery.

Ujujoan:

Okay, I wasnt' taking about you personally because I don't know you that well. I was just using u as an example!  grin  grin

Guys, I would love to stay and chat, but i have to go and buy fuel for my generator.  cheesy  tongue

i feel sorry for you. grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

The poster asked a question! You guys said it was because we were jealous! And while I tried to think about how that made any sense, someone said she earned more than our parents! I dont consider that an insult because I earn more than my parents, but I thought you guys need to realize that we are not all paupers down here!

I sleep with my eyes wide open at night, I fear for my life, but I dont want to beleive that you guys dont know that crime exists everywhere! The high rate is peculiar to Nigeria, but that's not just my responsibility to correct, it's yours too. And if you think living abroad exepmts you of that, then you must be joking!

But if your take home is very robust, and u 're not jealous, its not a reason defending the other millions who actually are, u can easily see that even on this thread. so what are we talking about?

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Wallie(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
I don’t think there should be any type of jealousy going on between the two camps. The main advantage of living in the west is that you have the basic amenities of life, even if you’re flipping buggers earning minimum wage. Also, the standard of living when abroad tends to be higher as well. The higher standard of living can be mostly traced to the availability of instrumentalities that allows you to better yourself even if it means being in debt up to your eyeballs.

There are some Nigerians in Nigeria doing extremely well, at least so it seems. I have friends that come here on vacation and spend money like there’s no tomorrow. Of course the money they spend is not necessarily proportional to the size of their bank accounts but the fact that they can spend money like that is eye-opening.

Just like their 9ja counterparts, there are some Nigerians over here doing extremely well and I’m only talking about the ones that you can trace their source of income. Of course, they are also humbled when they see houses the size of hotels and the latest cars parked in the drive-way.

I guess I’m saying that there’s a lot of mutual respect going on.

The truth is that, Nigerians over here with enough ties back home are in a unique position to take advantage of opportunities both here and back home. The bottom line with me is that I will take advantage of an opportunity regardless of where it resides.

We should be banding together to exploit each other’s comparative advantage. There is no need for jealousy because NO matter how rich or well off you think you are, there are people richer and more well off than you (myself included)!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

No, i think its because you havent been presented with the opportunity yet. I'm sure if you were presented with a US passport today you would not turn it down . . . so much for being "brave".

Leaving the country is NOT taking the "coward's way out". Some people were born in foreign countries and so have a right to claim it as their home just as much as Nigeria. Others have made a conscious decision to reside outside Nigeria for reasons best known to them . . . it has nothing to do with bravery.

i feel sorry for you. grin

grin  grin  grin

Of cos I wont return a US passport, I'll simply put it beside my Nigerian passport and dust it whenver I fell like travelling out to 'unwind'  wink  cheesy But hey if I complete my programme, and I can't get any other good job, I might join you guys over there. Who knows  undecided

No need to feel sorry for me sweetheart, I actually enjoy it!  cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

grin  grin  grin

Of cos I wont return a US passport, I'll simply put it beside my Nigerian passport and dust it whenver I fell like travelling out to 'unwind'  wink  cheesy But hey if I complete my programme, and I can't get any other good job, I might join you guys over there. Who knows  undecided

you want to join us "cowards"? Pls dont . . . your program in naija is going just fine. Be brave.

Ujujoan:

No need to feel sorry for me sweetheart, I actually enjoy it!  cheesy

you really have no other choice.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

you want to join us "cowards"? Pls dont . . . your program in naija is going just fine. Be brave.

you really have no other choice.

Well, I might 'decide' to come over . . . for reasons best known to me! cheesy

Who says I dont have any other choice, I could join you guys over there! wink cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 6:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
So the people dying in China and Libya to make a living are cowards?

Interesting. . . .I hope you never have a reason to take desperate steps like some people have done just to make a decent living.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Well, I might 'decide' to come over . . .  for reasons best known to me!  cheesy

Who says I dont have any other choice, I could join you guys over there!  wink  cheesy

Why? The foreigners in your office are no longer earning good pay? Have you all become paupers now? Have you suddenly lost the ability to "make it over there"?

I would suggest you stay in your own best interest. Its amazing how many Nigerians shout so much about how good Nigeria is but are themselves only too happy to emigrate at the slightest opportunity.

Like someone once said to me . . . for many in Nigeria, it is more about lack of opportunity than genuine choice.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
You are proving my point David, the only reason you are there is because you couldn't do well here. The opportunities here are certainly not as much as they are over there

This is the height of ignorance I must say.

Is it not funny that the cab drivers, sh.it carriers, gutter cleaners and co still end up sending billions of Naira home to save the Range rover driving ones from hunger.

Let Western union or International money Transfer stop for one month and Biafra war would be like a script from Disney as ppl would go on rampage.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
dayokanu:

This is the height of ignorance I must say.

Is it not funny that the cab drivers, sh.it carriers, gutter cleaners and co still end up sending billions of Naira home to save the Range rover driving ones from hunger.

Let Western union or International money Transfer stop for one month and Biafra war would be like a script from Disney as ppl would go on rampage.

LOL
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 6:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
You folks are jealous of our Hummer jeeps,our Toyota jeeps and jeep jeeps in Nigeria
miserable diaspora folks changing diapers in nursing homes
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 6:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:19pm On Mar 22, 2010
0hsisi:

You folks are jealous of our Hummer jeeps,our Toyota jeeps and jeep jeeps in Nigeria
Abi oh ROTFLMAO
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 6:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
0hsisi:

bloody shit-packers making noise all over. . . . .you better remember wash your hands after you're done.

My houseboy earns more in a month than those diaper changers make in a year. Shameless people.

**Chei!! dis houseboy don steal my hummer jeep o!**
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by comechop(m): 6:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
Interesting. The poll is no longer active, and this thread has been taken off the front page. Naija eh,
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 6:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
comechop:

Interesting. The poll is no longer active, and this thread has been taken off the front page. Naija eh,

ask debo grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 6:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
0hsisi:

ask debo grin

I am innocent. grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 7:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
dayokanu:

I go die oo grin grin

UJU ure weird or just greedy- You want a man well breaded, I thought because u needed the security, but since you claim you seem to doing better than I then why chop the mugus money?

And since you support crimminal activties, then of thats your sense of strongness-

I dont want to die of preventable diseases.

Sue me
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 7:19pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Well, I might 'decide' to come over . . . for reasons best known to me! cheesy

Who says I dont have any other choice, I could join you guys over there! wink cheesy

You mean you will runto marry someone with UK/US citizenship?
And then turn around and say it was your choice to come over?

I want some of these people to go to the embassy and see your mates and preach to them.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 7:24pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

Why? The foreigners in your office are no longer earning good pay? Have you all become paupers now? Have you suddenly lost the ability to "make it over there"?

I would suggest you stay in your own best interest. Its amazing how many Nigerians shout so much about how good Nigeria is but are themselves only too happy to emigrate at the slightest opportunity.

Like someone once said to me . . . for many in Nigeria, it is more about lack of opportunity than genuine choice.

LOL, Why cant they fix the country then?
Your neighbor sits in squallor while you eat?

This was a wonderious thing I saw when I came home.
My mom she bought all kinds of foods for my grandma to last her for several months.
Know what she did? She called every woman in the village and equally shared the foods with them.

Look around you , wearing gold in the midst of filth and you sit here and rant on "disporians"
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
I'm proud i took that bold steps at that tender age penetrating these immigrations that looked like the eyes of the neddle, to be here, today, i'm proud to be a German citizen and still partly a Nigerian. My family members and i also enjoys one of the best healthcare in the world if not the best, i don't need a to have a 10 duplex in VI or a bulletproof jeep or a keeping 4 cell phones i cant operate in my pockests, or disturbing my neighbours with the noise of my generating set to know i got a first class life. the foundations of my property an social security are strong(Prove me wrong if u doubt me) ppls in Naija are so proud to have a generating set grin grin grin.
So taking a bold step leaving that place where the hope of those without the proper connections is as good as death does not make me a coward but a warrior. I visted some embassies in Lagos, the queup is like waiting in the gates of heaven, what u even see at the airport speaks for itself. so seeing an opportunity and making a proper use of it is now beeing a coward. i guess thats the jealousy we 're still talking about.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 8:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

I'm proud i took that bold steps at that tender age penetrating these immigrations that looked like the eyes of the neddle, to be here, today, i'm proud to be a German citizen and still partly a Nigerian. My family members and i also enjoys one of the best healthcare in the world if not the best, i don't need a to have a 10 duplex in VI or a bulletproof jeep or a keeping 4 cell phones i cant operate in my pockests, or disturbing my neighbours with the noise of my generating set to know i got a first class life. the foundations of my property an social security are strong(Prove me wrong if u doubt me) ppls in Naija are so proud to have a generating set grin grin grin.
So taking a bold step leaving that place where the hope of those without the proper connections is as good as death does not make me a coward but a warrior. I visted some embassies in Lagos, the queup is like waiting in the gates of heaven, what u even see at the airport speaks for itself. so seeing an opportunity and making a proper use of it is now beeing a coward. i guess thats the jealousy we 're still talking about.

Is it only disturbing your neighbors?
The lung diseases nko from all the inhaled fumes.
The fuel in those generators is always a mixture of diesel and bleached palm oil grin
You know how everything in Naija is adulterated.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 0hsisi: 8:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
houses are collapsing in Lagos because the cement there is mixed with saw dust
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 8:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

LWKMD grin grin

0hsisi:

Is it only disturbing your neighbors?
The lung diseases nko from all the inhaled fumes.
The fuel in those generators is always a mixture of diesel and bleached palm oil grin
You know how everything in Naija is adulterated.
cry cry cry cry chai I no be big boy with my gen anymore?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 8:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
0hsisi:

hoses are collapsing in Lagos because the cement there is mixe with saw dust

OMG are u serious? shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 8:19pm On Mar 22, 2010
I am disappointed in the likes of debo and david, but not plat and osisi because i knew they would say all they have said so far. please david and debo, how do you expect those Nigerians living at home not feel jealous with all these stuffs you guys have written so far? i thought being abroad makes one act civil instead, all i see is i drive this, i live in that, this is not good at all.

Well, for some Nigerians at home who have been shut out of good life due to lack of information should endeavour to ask questions, if you don't ask for direction, you'd miss your way in life, i was never born into a rich family but i ain't begging for food either. i started living on my way at 20, my younger bro started living alone at 18 (actually rented a place before me), i ain't doing fraud, he owns a hall of his own where kids come to play all kind of video games. we are not related to any "big men" nor the politicians, most of my friends are like this too. i live here in Nigeria and i have never begged to feed because i know that Nigeria is not that good, but i was able to seek information which has helped me pretty well.

Those Nigerians going about with certificates without job should be blamed for those woes, how do you expect to get a job after graduation when you knew those who graduated before you are yet to find a job? every Nigerian here at home wants to work in the office, none of them is ready to establish something of their own, none of them is ready to roll up their sleeve, they all want to work with a pen under AC expecting their father's age to be calling them sir/ma

My elder bro was in the university, then i was yet to get into school, anytime he comes home, he'd be telling me to let him have some of my clothes and then would be saying "don't worry, once i am through with school, i will get a job and i will buy you 20 shirts, 20 pants e.t.c", i simply tell him not to bother and that before he finishes school, my wardrobe would have been filled up and i wouldn't need anymore clothes from him.

Now that he's out of school, though he's working, but he hardly have time for himself, lives in a 3 bedroom flat (bachelor at 33) but hardly watches his TV, hardly sit 10mins in his living room, goes to work as early as 7am, comes up as late as 10pm, when he comes home, he'd see me sleeping (when i go visiting). within 6hrs, i would have made 1/4 of his salary, he ended up investing in my "business" because he also wants to partake from the profits i make.

Have a couple in UK too who are doing the same, leaving all the "opportunities in UK behind to invest in my biz and are even begging me to give them more %"

What am i trying to say here? Nigerians at home are the problem of themselves, they chase shadows and build hopes on thin air, they want to work in the office, they want to have a company car but when all these fail to come to pass, they think going abroad is the final solution to their problems (reasons for long line at the embassies) and when they are denied visa (they get frustrated and lash out at those at home and abroad) thinking their mother is responsible for their problems.

Think with your brain, think out of the box, let your brain work for you, open my mind to other options, degree is not everything, i am just running a program in the university, but i am already teaching people who graduated from the universities long time ago on how to be self dependent.

This is enough for now, you are responsible for whatever happens to you in life, you are what you think/believe/dream.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 8:24pm On Mar 22, 2010
@honeric01 - Question- What have you done in your area?
To make life more liveable?

The way you talk your lGA better have paved roads and street lights. cool
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by jaybee3(m): 8:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
@honeric
why don't u just practice what u preach?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

One Injured As Explosion Rocks Osun / Censorship: Good or Bad? / Biography Of Babajide Sanwo-olu And His Wife Dr Mrs Ibijoke Sanwo-olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.