Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,976 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida (23098 Views)

I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / I’ll Run For Presidency In 2015, Says Buhari / Presidency: I’ll Run If God Permits Me – Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Enjoyment1(f): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2010
The IBB factor has even affected Jonathan's position. Jonathan is a confused man politically, now.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 15, 2010
kosovo:

The Only thing IBB needs, is just the get a ticket, or Campaign independently . . . He could be the first Independent President in Nigeria . . .
Keeping fingers crossed . . .
there is no candidate or political party that is bigger than pdp as at now.pdp has support from the ward level to national level and ibb needs pdp's tent to achieve his ambition.rule out independent candidacy as it is more or less being in the opposing party.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Hardtalk: 1:50am On May 02, 2010
Babangida will not be president – Abiola family
By CHARLES ABAH and AKINWALE ABORISADE, Published: Sunday, 2 May 2010

Late Chief MKO Abiola

The criticism trailing the planned presidential ambition of former military dictator, Gen. Ibrahim Babaginda, swelled on Saturday as the family members of the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, the late Chief MKO Abiola, roundly condemned the move.

Babaginda, who ruled the country from 1985 to 1993, the family said, was not reliable and thus could not be trusted.

The deputy head of the family and younger brother of the late business mogul, Muritala, made the assertion on behalf of the Abiolas in an exclusive interview with SUNDAY PUNCH.

He also spoke on the debt the Federal Government owed his brother, the deceased’s relationship with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, among other issues in the polity.

Babaginda, the former military president, Muritala insisted, was the least of persons that should ever be allowed to rule the country again.

He said, “By God‘s grace, Babangida will not be president again. He has nothing to offer Nigerians. If he has any advice, he should sell it to the people in government.”

Babaginda has declared his intention to contest the 2011 presidential poll on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, a move that has elicited heated criticisms among many interest groups and public commentators.

The former dictator was the head of the junta that annulled the June 12, 1993 election believed to have been won by Abiola.

Muritala explained that it would be wrong for Babangida, whom he described as an antagonist of democracy, to reap where he did not sow, adding that “Babangida does not deserve to be voted as president.”

According to him, Babaginda‘s renewed bid for the presidency was a calculated attempt to frustrate the true essence of the nation‘s democracy.

He said, “It will be very unfortunate and that will mean that Nigeria is still very backward. If we have our way we will prosecute Babangida.

“There are facts and figures to frustrate IBB‘s ambition of becoming president. Some people say they only want to take his money. There is no need to take his money. Let him know that he is a bad man. He is not acceptable.

”Again, we are not ready to have anything to do with any government that will not have the people‘s feelings and who will not immortalise MKO.

“But if Nigerians so desire that Babangida should come again so be it. But the country will have to bear the consequences of the mistake. We, as a family, are still grappling with the consequence of our brother‘s death.”

He added, ”Even our ancestor will not pray for a Babangida’s presidency. MKO was a symbol of unity. He was accepted by all; Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

“He was made the Yoruba generalissimo, Aare Ona Kakanfo. Akintola, who was the Aare Ona Kakanfo was killed by government, just as MKO was killed.”

Reacting to calls by some groups that the former dictator should apologise to Nigerians on the annulment, Muritala insisted that it was too late.

Adding that the call was a gimmick sponsored by Babangida, Muritala said, “We are saying that we cannot take Babangida’s plea and that Nigeria should not have anything to do with him. We can forgive him if need be but we cannot support his presidency.”

Muritala, who described the annulment and killing of his elder brother as the height of betrayal, recalled that the businessman was a close ally of Babaginda and many other army generals.

Muritala said, “Babangida, former president Olusegun Obasanjo and the military caucus supported MKO initially. The problem began with the question of who becomes the vice-president.

“The army caucus wanted former president of Nigeria Labour Congress, Pascal Bafyau to be vice-president, while the party leaders preferred Babagana Kingibe. MKO‘s hands were tied because as the party‘s flagbearer he could not object to their decision to drop Bafyau.”

He explained further that the decision caused disaffection between his brother and the top military echelon even as it strained the relationship between MKO and Obasanjo.

He debunked the allegation that some members of the Abiola family were romancing the ruling PDP and Babangida.

Muritala said, “I am just hearing this. If I knew this we would have called a meeting. We are trying to make the whole world know today that apart from what comes from the authentic Abiola family any other thing is false.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005021215678
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Hardtalk: 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2010
Babangida, ACF react to IBB Kaduna rally cancellation

KADUNA—Former military President and presidential aspirant on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, says it would amount to lack of patriotism for him to sit back and watch things go wrong in the country, saying this was why he decided to contest the 2011 election.
Addressing his supporters under the aegis of All Kaduna State NGO Support for IBB Forum at his Kaduna residence yesterday, Babangida said that he put his hat in the ring because of his love for the country as well as his desire to bring back the country on the path of development and glory.

Babangida said Nigeria had practically stagnated since he left office in 1993.

He spoke against the backdrop of yesterday’s cancellation of the public declaration of his presidency as well as commissioning of his campaign office in the state by the Police which insisted that the former Nigerian leader must give it sufficient notice of at least 48 hours according to the Public Order Act to ensure adequate security in the vicinity.

ACF fears insinuations

However, Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, has reacted to the cancellation and urging security agencies to be more discreet in matters affecting political opponents so that they would not be accused of bias as well as lead to insinuations that President Goodluck Jonathan was using his power of incumbency to his personal advantage.

According to Babangida, his decision to run for the presidency was also to ensure the people had a country of their dream.

He said: A country “Where every Nigerian, irrespective of tribe, tongue, religious or party affiliation will enjoy equal rights and have quality life.”

IBB emphasised that the current development challenges facing the nation were beyond any individual, group, political or sectional interest.

He, however, noted that “God will not let us down in our resolve to put Nigeria back on track of rapid development. We had expected that those who came after us would take over from where we had stopped in the task of building a great Nigeria of our dream.

“Here we are today, things are worse than when we left the corridors of power. It is unpatriotic of an elder statesman like me or any other person to watch things wrong when I know I can still make a meaningful impact.

“I appreciate your trust and confidence in me to be able to give Nigeria the kind of leadership it truly deserves.

“I have done it before; I will do it again, God willing. I want to say that I sincerely need your support.
“What you have demonstrated here today is worthy of emulation.

“Other Nigerians should emulate you. There are Igbo, Yorubas, Hausas and other minority tribes among you here. But you have come together to give me this support. That is a true reflection of how Nigeria should be.

Earlier in his speech, the Deputy Director General of the Babangida’s Campaign organization, Senator Kanti Bello said that it was time for Nigerians to elect a leader who can take the nation out of the woods, adding that people prevailed on the former military president to contest the 2011 elections owing to his good leadership qualities.

Senator Bello further said that he supported Chief MKO Abiola in the June 12, 1993 presidential election which Babangida annulled and expressed confidence that Babangida will not only win the PDP primaries, but will go ahead to win the presidential election itself.

In their comments spokesman for the group, Alhaji Yahaya Ahmed told Babangida that they were in his house to identify with his presidential aspirations and dream for the country, stressing that they “will continue to pray for his success and will never betray his trust”.

According to Ahmed, “we believe in you and your abilities. We know what you can do because some of us are living witnesses to your great achievement while you were the military president.

“You have the experience, you have the passion, patriotism and courage required of a good leader”.
Meanwhile, ACF which reacted to the police cancellation of the IBB’s public declaration of his ambition in the state through its National Publicity Secretary, Anthony Sani said, “ACF does not have all the facts surrounding the refuses of the Nigerian Police to grant IBB the permit for his rally in Kaduna.

“As a result, the forum cannot provide fair comments on the issue.

“However, in view of the whiff of mistrust and suspicion hovering over the polity, ACF advises relevant security agencies to be more discreet in matters affecting political opponents, lest it be said he (President Goodluck Jonathan) is misusing power of the incumbency to keep his opponents at the short end of the competition”.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=428343.256;num_replies=258

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? / Nigeria Launches Search & Rescue Helicopter (Photo) / Yoruba Stakeholders Resolve To End Fulani Herders Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.