Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,176 members, 7,811,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida (23102 Views)

I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / I’ll Run For Presidency In 2015, Says Buhari / Presidency: I’ll Run If God Permits Me – Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by SkyBlue1: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2010
KnowAll:

Apologies, but do you ever read what you type before posting? What on earth is assuring about a man people can't even trust (he is called Maradona for a reason). It is not all about using "big words", it helps if you use them correctly.

I dont get u, what is your point .  undecided

And I don't get your point either. Don't use words like "assurance" as a means of hedging a defence for IBB because you think such words could paint him in a more flattering light. What is assurance and how can it work for IBB when people can't even trust him of have faith in anything approaching consistency as far as he is concerned? I am still yet to figure out the so called "genius" of this man that people harp on about. A genius that destroyed the Nigerian economy and insitutionalised corruption, yes, very clever and assuring indeed. The only shame is that I won't put it past people to suddenly become amnesiac and buy into such trite about IBB being "the solution".
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 10:35pm On Apr 10, 2010
Otobroto:

2011: IBB Rejects Tinubu’s Offer To Run On AC Ticket

OVERTURES by the Action Congress (AC) to present the former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, as its presidential standard bearer for the 2011 general elections hit the rock last week when the Minna general rejected the offer.

A source in the uphill residence of the former leader told Saturday Tribune on Friday that a five-man team led by the former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, visited General Babangida to offer him the presidential ticket of their party.

According to the source, the AC emissaries told the retired general that the party was prepared to concede the ticket of the party to him for next year’s presidential election, with Tinubu as his running mate.
But the former military leader, who recently said that he would not disclose his ambition until a nationwide consultation with his supporters and other stakeholders was concluded, declined the offer.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/830-2011-ibb-rejects-tinubus-offer-to-run-on-ac-ticket.html

General Babangida, it was  learnt further, told his guests that as a loyal Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) member, he was not prepared to leave the party, but preferred to actualise his political ambition in the party.

While rejecting the offer, the source, who was at the meeting, said, “General Babangida, in his usual characteristic manner, listened attentively to the offer by the AC, but told them that he would rather remain a floor member of the PDP than to be the presidential candidate of the party.”

The source added that Babangida’s position was based on the recent endorsement of his presidential ambition by some key figures of the PDP, which included the chairman of the party’s Board of Trustees, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as the international support being extended to his presidential ambition.

In another development, a United Kingdom-based pro-democracy group, The Nigeria Project, has concluded plans to immortalise the late first lady, Dr. (Mrs.) Maryam Babangida, at an international lecture to hold in London at the end of the month.

Nigerians have shown here that, they have short memories. AC have also shown here, that their party does not have a direction. IBB too have shown here, as well, that he knows the party that can help him achieve his selfish interest. What did he forget in Aso Rock, that requires his return? Why PDP if his intention is genuine?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 10:47pm On Apr 10, 2010
2011: Nothing can stop me, says IBB

[color=#990000]Aide says 16 governors endorse former military leader’s presidential bid[/color]

Former President, Genera Ibrahim Babangida has vowed that the antics of his critics would not prevent or discourage him from testing his popularity by running for President in the 2011 elections.

He made this known yesterday while reacting to several media reports allegedly aimed at discrediting his person.

In a statement by his media spokesman, Prince Kassim Afegbua, General Babangida said he knows the character of those who are currently mushrooming as social activists and human rights defenders and their chief sponsors.

“All these criticisms would not stop General IBB to run for elections in 2011 in expression of his constitutional rights as a distinguished citizen of this great country,” said the statement issued by Afegbua, who is also the Acting National Chairman of the National Democratic Party (NDP).

This is coming on the heels of reports that 16 of the 36 state governors have thrown their weight behind Babangida’s bid for election as president in the 2011 elections.

The statement issued yesterday by Afegbua wondered why it is only when the former military President signified his intention to run for election that such “irritant pretenders” suddenly jumped into action.

It said that Lagos has become a breeding ground for self-acclaimed activists whose conducts fall below the conditionality of accountability, transparency and probity. “They shout blue murder at their season of convenience while they plunder the resources they get from foreign grants without accounting for same, yet when they talk of accountability, one will think these characters are products from the mars,” said the statement.

It challenged General Babangida’s accusers to publish their records and statements of accounts of their respective organisations in the last ten years, if they truly believe in transparency and anti-corruption, and Nigerians would be shocked at the level of rot in those organizations.

On the Okigbo Report discourse, the statement said “General Babangida was neither indicted by the Okigbo Report nor was there anywhere the report questioned him on the handling of the so-called funds.

“What the report said was that much of the funds were concentrated on infrastructural development of the Federal Capital Territory which in the opinion of the Panel was not priority areas,” the statement added.

It stressed that the report also called for the overhaul of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to enable it perform its functions optimally, adding that while calling for the reforms of the CBN, the Okigbo report also recommended the dismissal and retirement of some key staff of the apex Bank. “The idea of a $12.4 billion oil windfall only exists in the imagination of those who are largely unfamiliar with the issues of that era. There was nothing like $12.4 billion windfall,” it stated.

Meanwhile, an aide of the former military President disclosed at the weekend that IBB has concluded plans to formally declare his ambition to contest for the 2011 presidential election under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The aide told Peoples Daily in Abuja, that Babaginda will publicly make his ambition known any time from the end of this month.

He stated that 16 governors and the United States government have already endorsed Babaginda’s ambition to govern the country for a second time as civilian President.

The source told one of our reporters that: “He (IBB) will run; there is no going back again. He will declare his ambition any time from end of this month.

“Already, 16 governors have endorsed him and more are still coming. Also the United States has endorsed him and he will contest under the PDP.”

In an interview Babaginda granted this newspaper last year, the ex-military ruler said he was not interested in contesting the 2011 polls.

However, the man often referred to as “Maradona” when he was in power from 1985 to 1993, may have been forced by circumstances to change his mind following indications that President Umaru Yar’adua may be incapable or unwilling to contest the 2011 election because of his health condition.

Last week, while returning from Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital where he had gone to attend the birthday anniversary of Governor Gbenga Daniel, Babaginda told airport correspondents in Lagos that he was consulting with stakeholders on his presidential ambition.

Similarly, an unconfirmed report by an online news portal, Pointblanknews.com said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo is championing the campaign for IBB’s return within the PDP.

Pointblanknews.com quoted sources who confirmed that both men have met five times in the recent past to fine-tune strategies on how to actualise the plan to make Babaginda President in 2011, with the latest meeting taking place on Thursday at Otta.

The news portal further reported that Babaginda’s campaign to become President after the exit of Yar’adua next year is being coordinated by Senate President David Mark and Governor Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu.

The choice of Mark is for the Senate President to mobilise support for Babaginda amongst PDP members of the National Assembly while Governor Aliyu’s role is to rally support for the ex-military leader among state governors.

But Peoples Daily could not independently confirm all this claims by the online news site.

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/index.php/news/59-front-page/12937-2011-nothing-can-stop-me-says-ibb
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Otobroto(f): 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
Is there no one that can stop IBB?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
And I don't get your point either. Don't use words like "assurance" as a means of hedging a defence for IBB because you think such words could paint him in a more flattering light. What is assurance and how can it work for IBB when people can't even trust him of have faith in anything approaching consistency as far as he is concerned? I am still yet to figure out the so called "genius" of this man that people harp on about. A genius that destroyed the Nigerian economy and insitutionalised corruption, yes, very clever and assuring indeed.

During his Military stint he was working alone and on his own impulse as an absolute leader. He would now learn to work not only with the legislatures, but with the judiciary. A Military regime is an illegitimate regime, since our country is not a country that punishes mutineers then it is fair to forgive these unruly soldiers for their mis-deeds and open a new chapter after all we have allowed one to rule us in the past in no other person than OBJ so why deny IBB his constitutional right.

You have the right not to vote for him, that is a right no one can deny u, unfortunately your type on the internet with so much venom towards IBB  only represents 3% of the Nigerian population, I guess u have a hell lot of work to do to undo IBB's stauning start.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Apr 10, 2010
I feel like throwing up!!! How can anyone who lived through the IBB days support this man running againt for president? Nigerians don't have just short-term memory issues, we seem to have a way of PRETENDING all that was bad is now good. I can't explain it.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Fhemmmy: 10:56pm On Apr 10, 2010
Now let the fin begin . . . . . cool
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by teejaygold(m): 11:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
IBB shld remain in minna, no single soul will vote 4 him, if this man contes, i will personally visit sango,orisha,oya and obatala to strike that maradon down and he will not witness the result of the election, president ko president ni
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by haronky7: 11:07pm On Apr 10, 2010
I am trying hard to understand why IBB is the 'best choice' for Nigeria.

Abeg people, make una help me o! No be IBB, the husband of late Mariam, who ruled us for 8 yrs, and wey dey live for the Minna mansion? Abi another IBB dey na?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Hardtalk: 11:08pm On Apr 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I feel like throwing up!!! How can anyone who lived through the IBB days support this man running againt for president? Nigerians don't have just short-term memory issues, we seem to have a way of PRETENDING all that was bad is now good. I can't explain it.

Nigerians like and enjoy suffering. They are praise singers, and with cash in their hands, you have their votes already. Nobody cares about tommorow!.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Onlytruth(m): 11:08pm On Apr 10, 2010
Otobroto:

Is there no one that can stop IBB?

Those who would cannot and those can wouldn't. Go figure! undecided
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by OAM4J: 11:09pm On Apr 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Am more baffled than you. Cant believe anyone will support IBB.  shocked shocked shocked

I hope he doesn't succeed, if he does! if he becomes the president of Nigeria again!!, I will . . . (keep it to myself). lipsrsealed
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Onlytruth(m): 11:12pm On Apr 10, 2010
OAM4J:

Am more baffled than you. Cant believe anyone will support IBB.  shocked shocked shocked

I hope he doesn't succeed, if he does! if he becomes the president of Nigeria again!!, I will . . . (keep it to myself). lipsrsealed

The guy don become president already. lol! grin
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by KnowAll(m): 11:16pm On Apr 10, 2010
It is a bit dicey no one knows Jonathan's plan but the PDP would likely stick with their rotational system. Jonthan has 2 jokers either to be IBB's vice or not run at all but have a truely free and fair election that means Buhari and the mega party if they do their home work well enough they might nick it just like in Ghana where the opposition won the first and only time in Africa.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by marvix(m): 12:26am On Apr 11, 2010
But if we must have an ex military leader must it be IBB can't we hav Abdulsalam?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Finecat(m): 6:20am On Apr 11, 2010
He can contest for presidency if wants to and can even win. But the win will be the worst to eve happened to Babangida, it may sound like noise to you guys's hears but i will take matter into my hands and i'm sure i can get atleast 10 supporters in Naija to back me me up. If Babangida wins, he will not rule for a single day. There is a bullet with "IBB" named on it for him. I mean this is a man that introduced 419 to Nigeria, he killed many innocent folks, austerity, cancelled the best election Africa has ever witnessed to date, Loot the treasury blind, Dele Giwa, etc etc, Sometimes it only takes a man to change a country, enough is really enough. Nigeria does not deserve Babangida again! If this is my only goal in life, SO BE IT!! Fair win or rigged-win Babangida will not rule Nigeria again. It may sound like i'm blowing hot air to y'all but i implore you to wait and see. Unless he doesn't win.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by kosovo(m): 7:40am On Apr 11, 2010
O.M.G this is the best NEWS i have seen in weeks cheesy
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by marvix(m): 7:42am On Apr 11, 2010
@finecat I'm with u on dis, let those in support line up behind u, even if we are a minority I wld b glad if I'm sentenced to death by firin squad if I pull d trigger on IBB.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 11, 2010
Finecat:

He can contest for presidency if wants to and can even win. But the win will be the worst to eve happened to Babangida, it may sound like noise to you guys's hears but i will take matter into my hands and i'm sure i can get atleast 10 supporters in Naija to back me me up. If Babangida wins, he will not rule for a single day. There is a bullet with "IBB" named on it for him. I mean this is a man that introduced 419 to Nigeria, he killed many innocent folks, austerity, cancelled the best election Africa has ever witnessed to date, Loot the treasury blind, Dele Giwa, etc etc,  Sometimes it only takes a man to change a country, enough is really enough. Nigeria does not deserve Babangida again! If this is my only goal in life, SO BE IT!! Fair win or rigged-win Babangida will not rule Nigeria again. It may sound like i'm blowing hot air to y'all but i implore you to wait and see. Unless he doesn't win.
with stiff opposition from his fellow pdp aspirants andstrong propaganda aginst him,ibb will be disgraced to stepdown as he was forced to stepdown in 2007 by obj when he insisted on not handingover him and the others that bought the pdp nomination form.look at the case of soludo,he was imposed on other candidates who later dragged him to court.if such strategy is applied when ibb eventually get pdp accent to contest for presidency under its platform,court cases may cripple him since he wont want his name being tarnished both locally and internationally.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Abagworo(m): 7:51am On Apr 11, 2010
@finecat.you sound rather juvenile and ridiculous.you are threatening to kill a man based on hear say.that is really funny.every regime has its good and bad.it is just a matter of how the media paints the regime.are you aware that politically associated killings have happened more during this 4th republic than the entire years of military rule put together.if you understand rule of law, then june 12 was annuled by a court of law.i'm not trying to defend ibb but just seeing things neutrally without sentiments.majority of the actually violent nigerians support him.majority of electorates support him,governors support him,AC alongside other parties is lobbying for him to be their presidential candidate,he enjoys international support,obj is by his side.what else is needed to win an election?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Onlytruth(m): 8:03am On Apr 11, 2010
Abagworo:

@finecat.you sound rather juvenile and ridiculous.you are threatening to kill a man based on hear say.that is really funny.every regime has its good and bad.it is just a matter of how the media paints the regime.are you aware that politically associated killings have happened more during this 4th republic than the entire years of military rule put together.if you understand rule of law, then june 12 was annuled by a court of law.i'm not trying to defend ibb but just seeing things neutrally without sentiments.majority of the actually violent nigerians support him.majority of electorates support him,governors support him,AC alongside other parties is lobbying for him to be their presidential candidate,he enjoys international support,obj is by his side.what else is needed to win an election?

Bros you took words right out of my mouth! These guys just make me laugh.

Obasanjo ruled for 8 years, many people were killed and so much corruption took place. We couldn't even vote or have our votes counted. No one killed Obasanjo for all his evil deeds in Nigeria. Suddenly people are threatening to kill IBB for not committing up to 20% of Obasanjos crimes.

Well, for every extremist in the west, there are 100 in the north. A word is enough for the wise. cool
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 11, 2010
Abagworo:

where did you get your information that obasanjo supported,supports or will support ibb.he didnt support him in 2007,so how will he support him in 2011.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Abagworo(m): 8:33am On Apr 11, 2010
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
Within the week, when the leadership of the
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) publicly
declared that the North will occupy the
Presidency till 2015, the coast was cleared
for aspirants from that part of the country to
oil their political machinery for the 2011
electoral contest.
One of those who may be the direct
beneficiaries of that policy is former Military
President, General Ibrahim Babangida,
especially since it is almost foreclosed that
President Umar Musa Yar ’Adua will not seek
re-election.
Saturday Sun gathered that in the last three
months, as Yar ’Adua’s health problem rocked
the nation, many forces, within the country
and outside, have been shopping for his
likely replacement in 2011. Sources revealed
that the choice has been narrowed down to
Babangida, a member of the PDP.
It is generally believed that the death of his
wife had put a stop to his ambition of
returning to Aso Rock but a close IBB
confidant said that, the manner Nigerians
sympathised with him during his trying
period has humbled him the more and if
given the opportunity he wants to
reciprocate by giving Nigerians quality and
good governance. The message of
appreciation he sent to Nigerians conveys
his emotion on the love Nigerians showed
his family. In the message, he stated, “my
dear compatriots, you have once again stood
by us at a time and moment when my family
and I are need your support, consolation and
prayers. No amount of gratitude and
appreciation I could offer to you could
convey succinctly how deeply touched and
grateful my family and I are to all of you…
my family is most humbled by these kind
words and expressions you conveyed to
extol the virtues of my late wife during your
visits. ”
Last September, three months before the
death of his wife, he said he would make
consultations before taking a position on the
2011 presidential elections. He then admitted
that not only his aides and associates, but
various interest groups were mounting
pressure on him to return to partisan politics.
Now that the pressure has included the US,
would he take a position? Time will tell. Some
elements in the North believe that he is not
only qualified to occupy the highest political
office in the country but is also popular,
having been head of state for eight years.
Also, foreign countries, which want stability
in the country are said to have equally
penciled down Babangida for support, ahead
of 2011 elections.
The US connection
It was gathered that the United States has
indicated interest in Babangida and has
actually reached out to him on its thinking.
Sources said that the recent visit of a strong
US delegation to Nigeria, comprising Jonnie
Carson, the country ’s assistant secretary of
state for African Affairs and Robin Sanders,
its ambassador to Nigeria is part of the plan
to draft Babangida to the 2011 race.
It was gathered that even though Babangida
has not come out openly to declare his
interest for the 2011 presidential election,
the pressure on him is high. Sources said that
due to the calibre of forces urging him to
join the race, he would buckle eventually.
A source maintained that the US has followed
the political situation in the country and has
come to the conclusion that Nigeria needs a
president who would restore confidence and
leadership. It said that many people have
been considered.
Sources said that among those considered is
Brig-General Buba Marwa, former Nigeria ’s
military attaché to the US and current
Nigeria ’s Ambassador to South Africa. He was
said to have been dropped because the US
group believes that it may be difficult for the
former governor of Lagos State to be
accepted by other parts of the country.
It was gathered that Babangida eventually
got endorsement after people like Mr. George
Bush Sr, who was president in US when
Babangida was military president in Nigeria
put in words. The Bush Snr. support, it was
gathered, informed why immediate past US
president, George W. Bush, wanted to meet
with Babangida when he visited Nigeria for
the ThisDay awards.
Before the President Barrack Obama’s
delegation to Babangida, the US and
European Union had lamented the
uncertainty in Nigeria, caused by the absence
of President Yar ’Adua. In a joint statement
signed by US Secretary of State, Hillary
Clinton, British Foreign Secretary, David
Miliband, France ’s Foreign Minister, Bernard
Kouchner and European Union High
Representative, Catherine Ashton, the US and
EU noted: “Nigeria is going through a period
of uncertainty because of the prolonged
illness of President Musa Yar ’Adua. Nigeria’s
stability and democracy carry great
significance beyond its immediate borders,
given its importance as a global oil producer
and stabilising force in West Africa. ”
In the quest to help Nigeria get stability, the
US therefore, wants a leader it thinks would
build institutions, as President Obama earlier
suggested.
However, apart from the US, it was gathered
that Nigerians, especially power brokers in
the North are also putting pressure on
Babangida to join the race for next year’s
presidency.
Maryam death angle
It was gathered that the death of
Babangida ’s wife, Maryam, last December 27,
served as a rallying point for some
politicians, who want Babangida back at the
presidency. Within the period when Maryam
was buried and her 40th day fidau,
paraphernalia of offices of state
governments across the country literally
relocated to Minna. At Minna even though
politicians came for mourning, there were
reconciliation of political foes and
realignment of political forces.
Initially, there was the belief that the death of
Maryam would sound the death knel on
Babangida’s comeback hope, but the
goodwill that came with it boosted the
confidence of the retired general, it was
gathered. Babangida ’s confidant said that the
manner Nigerians, from all walks of life
sympathised with him, during his trying
period, humbled Babangida the more and
made him to hope that an opportunity would
come for him to reciprocate by giving the
Nigerian people quality and good
governance. The message of appreciation he
sent to Nigerians conveyed his emotion on
the love Nigerians showed his family.
In the message, he stated: “ My dear
compatriots, you have once again stood by
us at a time and moment when my family
and I need your support, consolation and
prayers. ”
The North’s thinking
It was gathered that the northern political
elite, believing that it gambled and lost out
with the Yar ’Adua presidency, thinks that
with a candidate like Babangida the
geopolitical zone will bounce back to political
reckoning, just as General Olusegun Obasanjo
brought back South West to political
relevance at the federal level.
Sources said that the declaration that no
serving or former governor from the North
will succeed Yar ’Adua was part of the signal
to draft Babangida into the race. Indeed, a
frontline northern critic and retired Army
Major, Abubakar Umar, had warned that the
northern governors, who are nursing the
ambition of succeeding Yar ’Adua should
bury such plans. According to him, none of
these northern governors is competent to
rule the country. He said that some of the
governors, apart from their dismal
performance, were found wanting when the
Economic and Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) checked their books.
Considering the offer
It was gathered that Babangida is
considering the offer to succeed Yar’Adua. He
is said to be examining the various forces
angling for his entry into the race, to
ascertain if they mean well or just want to
drag him out and disgrace him. Also, he
wants to be sure that Nigerians would accept
him.
Sources close to him said that one of the
ways the former Head of State wants to find
out how Nigerians feel about him was for his
associates to commission a research to find
out how Nigerians would receive his entry
into the presidential race. It was gathered
that this move is preparatory to him officially
declaring to replace Yar ’Adua next year.
Former national treasurer of PDP, Dr. Godwin
Daboh, who is among those putting pressure
on Babangida to join the 2011 race, had said
that result of research conducted in the six
geopolitical zones showed that over 70
percent of Nigerians want Babangida in the
presidency in 2011. This seems to have
buoyed the confidence of the group, which
are surreptitiously revving their political
structures.
With such finding, associates of Babangida
have subtly started making comments to
prepare the ground. One of his former aides
and ex-military intelligence officer when
Babangida was in power, Captain Sagir
Mohammed (retd), recently said that the
constitution is clear on who could be
presidential candidate. According to him, “the
Nigerian people who decide who becomes
the president have not, in any way,
foreclosed his possibility of becoming the
president and we have no proof that those
few who want him not to contest, represent
the view of Nigerian people. ”
He remarked that General Babangida holds
the record as one of the greatest leaders that
have ever ruled the country, since the period
of amalgamation, adding that he has a record
of achievements unsurpassed by many
Nigerian leaders before and after him. The
former military officer said Nigerians now
have the unique opportunity of comparing
the Babangida regime with what the country
has had after him.
Resurrecting political structures
It was gathered that Babangida has refused
to disclose his political activities for fear of
being accused of contributing in heating up
the polity and destablising the Yar ’Adua
government. Sources said that he wants to
meet with President Yar ’Adua, to ascertain
his plan for 2011 before making a public
declaration on his intention.
In the meantime, it was gathered that his
political associates have started resurrecting
his political structures secretly, preparatory
to his declaration.
One of them, who pleaded anonymity said:
“ We are now resurrecting our structures
because it is evident that going by the
internal and external pressures mounted on
IBB to run for 2011 presidential election, he
would succumb. The unity and progress of
this country is very uppermost in his mind. ”
His clout
Events have proved that Babangida is a force
to be reckoned with in PDP and the polity. In
2006, many people picked nomination forms
for various offices because Babangida was
expected to run for the president. Some of
them, especially those who wanted to be
governors, had actually paid the non-
refundable N2m to pick nomination forms.
They, however, dropped their aspirations
when it became clear that Babangida was no
longer interested in the presidency, following
the aspiration of Yar’Adua. Babangida had
put what happened into perspective then
when he said that he pulled out because he
did not want to go into a contest with any
member of the Yar ’Adua family because he
saw them as his brothers. He revealed that
Yar ’Adua’s father had told him not to ever do
anything that would put him on collision
course with any of his children, as they grew
up together.
http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/
national/2010/mar/06/
national-06-03-2010-006.htm
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Hardtalk: 8:46am On Apr 11, 2010
I still believe, irrespective of whatever anyone says here, IBB will never win any credible elections in Nigeria, and he knows. That is why he is doing consultation.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 11, 2010
[s][/s]
Abagworo:

« on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
Within the week, when the leadership of the
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) publicly
declared that the North will occupy the
Presidency till 2015, the coast was cleared
for aspirants from that part of the country to
oil their political machinery for the 2011
electoral contest.
One of those who may be the direct
beneficiaries of that policy is former Military
President, General Ibrahim Babangida,
especially since it is almost foreclosed that
President Umar Musa Yar ’Adua will not seek
re-election.
Saturday Sun gathered that in the last three
months, as Yar ’Adua’s health problem rocked
the nation, many forces, within the country
and outside, have been shopping for his
likely replacement in 2011. Sources revealed
that the choice has been narrowed down to
Babangida, a member of the PDP.
It is generally believed that the death of his
wife had put a stop to his ambition of
returning to Aso Rock but a close IBB
confidant said that, the manner Nigerians
sympathised with him during his trying
period has humbled him the more and if
given the opportunity he wants to
reciprocate by giving Nigerians quality and
good governance. The message of
appreciation he sent to Nigerians conveys
his emotion on the love Nigerians showed
his family. In the message, he stated, “my
dear compatriots, you have once again stood
by us at a time and moment when my family
and I are need your support, consolation and
prayers. No amount of gratitude and
appreciation I could offer to you could
convey succinctly how deeply touched and
grateful my family and I are to all of you…
my family is most humbled by these kind
words and expressions you conveyed to
extol the virtues of my late wife during your
visits. ”
Last September, three months before the
death of his wife, he said he would make
consultations before taking a position on the
2011 presidential elections. He then admitted
that not only his aides and associates, but
various interest groups were mounting
pressure on him to return to partisan politics.
Now that the pressure has included the US,
would he take a position? Time will tell. Some
elements in the North believe that he is not
only qualified to occupy the highest political
office in the country but is also popular,
having been head of state for eight years.
Also, foreign countries, which want stability
in the country are said to have equally
penciled down Babangida for support, ahead
of 2011 elections.
The US connection
It was gathered that the United States has
indicated interest in Babangida and has
actually reached out to him on its thinking.
Sources said that the recent visit of a strong
US delegation to Nigeria, comprising Jonnie
Carson, the country ’s assistant secretary of
state for African Affairs and Robin Sanders,
its ambassador to Nigeria is part of the plan
to draft Babangida to the 2011 race.
It was gathered that even though Babangida
has not come out openly to declare his
interest for the 2011 presidential election,
the pressure on him is high. Sources said that
due to the calibre of forces urging him to
join the race, he would buckle eventually.
A source maintained that the US has followed
the political situation in the country and has
come to the conclusion that Nigeria needs a
president who would restore confidence and
leadership. It said that many people have
been considered.
Sources said that among those considered is
Brig-General Buba Marwa, former Nigeria ’s
military attaché to the US and current
Nigeria ’s Ambassador to South Africa. He was
said to have been dropped because the US
group believes that it may be difficult for the
former governor of Lagos State to be
accepted by other parts of the country.
It was gathered that Babangida eventually
got endorsement after people like Mr. George
Bush Sr, who was president in US when
Babangida was military president in Nigeria
put in words. The Bush Snr. support, it was
gathered, informed why immediate past US
president, George W. Bush, wanted to meet
with Babangida when he visited Nigeria for
the ThisDay awards.
Before the President Barrack Obama’s
delegation to Babangida, the US and
European Union had lamented the
uncertainty in Nigeria, caused by the absence
of President Yar ’Adua. In a joint statement
signed by US Secretary of State, Hillary
Clinton, British Foreign Secretary, David
Miliband, France ’s Foreign Minister, Bernard
Kouchner and European Union High
Representative, Catherine Ashton, the US and
EU noted: “Nigeria is going through a period
of uncertainty because of the prolonged
illness of President Musa Yar ’Adua. Nigeria’s
stability and democracy carry great
significance beyond its immediate borders,
given its importance as a global oil producer
and stabilising force in West Africa. ”
In the quest to help Nigeria get stability, the
US therefore, wants a leader it thinks would
build institutions, as President Obama earlier
suggested.
However, apart from the US, it was gathered
that Nigerians, especially power brokers in
the North are also putting pressure on
Babangida to join the race for next year’s
presidency.
Maryam death angle
It was gathered that the death of
Babangida ’s wife, Maryam, last December 27,
served as a rallying point for some
politicians, who want Babangida back at the
presidency. Within the period when Maryam
was buried and her 40th day fidau,
paraphernalia of offices of state
governments across the country literally
relocated to Minna. At Minna even though
politicians came for mourning, there were
reconciliation of political foes and
realignment of political forces.
Initially, there was the belief that the death of
Maryam would sound the death knel on
Babangida’s comeback hope, but the
goodwill that came with it boosted the
confidence of the retired general, it was
gathered. Babangida ’s confidant said that the
manner Nigerians, from all walks of life
sympathised with him, during his trying
period, humbled Babangida the more and
made him to hope that an opportunity would
come for him to reciprocate by giving the
Nigerian people quality and good
governance. The message of appreciation he
sent to Nigerians conveyed his emotion on
the love Nigerians showed his family.
In the message, he stated: “ My dear
compatriots, you have once again stood by
us at a time and moment when my family
and I need your support, consolation and
prayers. ”
The North’s thinking
It was gathered that the northern political
elite, believing that it gambled and lost out
with the Yar ’Adua presidency, thinks that
with a candidate like Babangida the
geopolitical zone will bounce back to political
reckoning, just as General Olusegun Obasanjo
brought back South West to political
relevance at the federal level.
Sources said that the declaration that no
serving or former governor from the North
will succeed Yar ’Adua was part of the signal
to draft Babangida into the race. Indeed, a
frontline northern critic and retired Army
Major, Abubakar Umar, had warned that the
northern governors, who are nursing the
ambition of succeeding Yar ’Adua should
bury such plans. According to him, none of
these northern governors is competent to
rule the country. He said that some of the
governors, apart from their dismal
performance, were found wanting when the
Economic and Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) checked their books.
Considering the offer
It was gathered that Babangida is
considering the offer to succeed Yar’Adua. He
is said to be examining the various forces
angling for his entry into the race, to
ascertain if they mean well or just want to
drag him out and disgrace him. Also, he
wants to be sure that Nigerians would accept
him.
Sources close to him said that one of the
ways the former Head of State wants to find
out how Nigerians feel about him was for his
associates to commission a research to find
out how Nigerians would receive his entry
into the presidential race. It was gathered
that this move is preparatory to him officially
declaring to replace Yar ’Adua next year.
Former national treasurer of PDP, Dr. Godwin
Daboh, who is among those putting pressure
on Babangida to join the 2011 race, had said
that result of research conducted in the six
geopolitical zones showed that over 70
percent of Nigerians want Babangida in the
presidency in 2011. This seems to have
buoyed the confidence of the group, which
are surreptitiously revving their political
structures.
With such finding, associates of Babangida
have subtly started making comments to
prepare the ground. One of his former aides
and ex-military intelligence officer when
Babangida was in power, Captain Sagir
Mohammed (retd), recently said that the
constitution is clear on who could be
presidential candidate. According to him, “the
Nigerian people who decide who becomes
the president have not, in any way,
foreclosed his possibility of becoming the
president and we have no proof that those
few who want him not to contest, represent
the view of Nigerian people. ”
He remarked that General Babangida holds
the record as one of the greatest leaders that
have ever ruled the country, since the period
of amalgamation, adding that he has a record
of achievements unsurpassed by many
Nigerian leaders before and after him. The
former military officer said Nigerians now
have the unique opportunity of comparing
the Babangida regime with what the country
has had after him.
Resurrecting political structures
It was gathered that Babangida has refused
to disclose his political activities for fear of
being accused of contributing in heating up
the polity and destablising the Yar ’Adua
government. Sources said that he wants to
meet with President Yar ’Adua, to ascertain
his plan for 2011 before making a public
declaration on his intention.
In the meantime, it was gathered that his
political associates have started resurrecting
his political structures secretly, preparatory
to his declaration.
One of them, who pleaded anonymity said:
“ We are now resurrecting our structures
because it is evident that going by the
internal and external pressures mounted on
IBB to run for 2011 presidential election, he
would succumb. The unity and progress of
this country is very uppermost in his mind. ”
His clout
Events have proved that Babangida is a force
to be reckoned with in PDP and the polity. In
2006, many people picked nomination forms
for various offices because Babangida was
expected to run for the president. Some of
them, especially those who wanted to be
governors, had actually paid the non-
refundable N2m to pick nomination forms.
They, however, dropped their aspirations
when it became clear that Babangida was no
longer interested in the presidency, following
the aspiration of Yar’Adua. Babangida had
put what happened into perspective then
when he said that he pulled out because he
did not want to go into a contest with any
member of the Yar ’Adua family because he
saw them as his brothers. He revealed that
Yar ’Adua’s father had told him not to ever do
anything that would put him on collision
course with any of his children, as they grew
up together.
http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/
national/2010/mar/06/
national-06-03-2010-006.htm

[s][/s]
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by SkyBlue1: 9:42am On Apr 11, 2010
KnowAll:

During his Military stint he was working alone and on his own impulse as an absolute leader. [size=15pt]He would now learn to work not only with the legislatures, but with the judiciary.[/size] A Military regime is an illegitimate regime, since our country is not a country that punishes mutineers then it is fair to forgive these unruly soldiers for their mis-deeds and open a new chapter after all we have allowed one to rule us in the past in no other person than OBJ so why deny IBB his constitutional right.

You have the right not to vote for him, that is a right no one can deny u, unfortunately your type on the internet with so much venom towards IBB  only represents 3% of the Nigerian population, I guess u have a hell lot of work to do to undo IBB's stauning start.

And you know this how? Save your speculations and experimenting for your family affairs please, your statements are laughable.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by invisible2(m): 9:56am On Apr 11, 2010
Only thieves, fraudsters, the mentally challenged and the cronically unbalanced people will see anything good in ibb. We will never amount to anything as a nation by supporting aimless politicians whose greatest legacies they left after 8 years is to "step aside"
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by sheriffman(m): 10:04am On Apr 11, 2010
It saddens me to even hear this man's name anytime and now upon all the insults he is been mentioned to rule us for another 8 years.Haba Nigerians don't we know shame?Like someone asked-How much rape can Nigeria/Nigerians take?
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by invisible2(m): 10:08am On Apr 11, 2010
Nigerians can take anything 'suffering and smiling' opening their gworo stained teeth and laughing at their unfed, uneducated children and their empty stomach, while supporting the fool that put them to that misery.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 11, 2010
invisible!:

Only thieves, fraudsters, the mentally challenged and the cronically unbalanced people will see anything good in ibb. We will never amount to anything as a nation by supporting aimless politicians whose greatest legacies they left after 8 years is to "step aside"
folks like knowall believes so much in ibb.you can see him saying that ibb acted in insolation when he was a military president after the same ibb had blame the supremem military council for all his inaction during his reign.see desperate people can be.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by invisible2(m): 10:14am On Apr 11, 2010
Ibb cannot help us, he will plunge us deepe into wahala.
Re: I’ll Run For 2011 Presidential Polls, Says Ibrahaim Babangida by ElRazur: 10:26am On Apr 11, 2010
I posted this in another thread, but I am sure it is relevant here.

"I wonder if Babangida still open his own mail? If so, I think sending him a mail packed with Anthrax and Cyanide dust may be a good idea.

I can get these things in the UK, but then are monitored and as such may trigger an alarm. I swear, someone should look into this. I am sure it is the only cost effective way of taking him out.

smiley

Yes I hate him THAT much. smiley"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FACT CHECK: Did Tukur Mamu Name Terrorists’ Sponsors? / APC, PDP Dey Craze - Datti Attacks Opposition Parties At Lagos Rally / Nigeria’s Future Not In The Hands Of Retired Generals - Adams Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.