Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) (25326 Views)

Sani Yerima For Trial By ICPC / The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC / Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima Justifies Marriage To 13-year-old Egyptian Girl. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by jaybee3(m): 1:13pm On Apr 29, 2010
princekevo:

If the court or constitution recognises the Islamic mariages is he not commiting a bigger crime by goings against the Section 33(1) of Nigerian marriage act? Mind you, he is not being charged to sharia court of law, but Nigerian court of law. And the constitution made is clear that where there is a conflict between the sharia law and the Constitution of the country, the constitution prevails.
I get your drift. The questions are as follows;
Did a marriage ceremony occur between the 2?
If yes, was it performed by a licensed official or cleric in the case of sharia law?

If you answer No to the above questions then technicaly zilch charges can be brought against the dude.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by ud4u: 1:15pm On Apr 29, 2010
This is an old story
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by jaybee3(m): 1:15pm On Apr 29, 2010
martinosi:

Ayetta "ITK"(I TOO KNOW) Mama!!! ROFLMAO!!!

The Dumb-A** Senator is Wrong!!! Period!!! and yes the BBC Should Name
and shame the Guy, when you refuse to take responsibility at Home you
will be subject to concrete Authority from Abroad,

And if the Senator has any assets abroad ie houses etc they should be seized and
sold and the proceeds sent to help Child Molestation Charities!!!

ROFLMAO

Is it a crime under international law? and since when did Nigeria sign a law that allows her citizens to be charged when crimes were committed outside her shores?
Na wa oh
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Rheinmetal(m): 1:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
This is what happens when Sharia law is introduced in a supposedly secular country. The Yerimas of this world know that issues such as this always end up in a legal strait jacket. To Senator Yerima, he is practising his faith. To You he is a practicing Paedophile.

The so-called Human Rights Organisations are the ones milking the situation for publicity, thereby beaming the ever searching negative spotlight of the Western press on Nigeria. They have no locus to take Yerima to any court, anywhere in the world, not until Nigerians understand that religion is a private issue, and has no place in public forums.

My apologies to the child bride though.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by ayettymama(f): 1:22pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^ exactly- so instead of us crying he's immoral hes immoral there will be clear cut laws- the bbc can report whatever but it wnt make a difference

i mean how long is it b4 we have animal rights campaigners tellin us the way we kill cows in immoral?? its the law that draws the line- not a bunch of people that are passionate against islamic marriages!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by becomricha: 1:22pm On Apr 29, 2010
90% of the men in the world would not be found dating an old woman expect she has money.

Donald  is an example.

[img]http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Larry+King+50+Years+Broadcasting+Celebration+grdQ3CRhfI4l.jpg[/img]
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by martinosi: 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2010
ayettymama:

wow u gys are funny- its is actually in nigeria's child rights acts- if many of u werent soo blinded by personal opinion someone should have been able to point it out! kaii none of u can make good lawyers!! aaanyways;

It said the marriage violated Nigeria's Child Rights Act of 2003 forbidding marriage with anyone under 18. The punishment is a 500,000 naira (3,320 dollar/2,500 euro) fine or a five-year jail term, or both

LOL! Sometimes when posters like Ayetta-mama post you have to wonder
whether they just like hearing the Sound of their Keyboard
or the Feeling of typing their "Mis-guarded" thoughts online.!!! lol!

They just chat "Bare-Crap" most of the time!!! What a Patsy!!!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by ayettymama(f): 1:26pm On Apr 29, 2010
and the crap is what?? that most of u failed to point out the actual laws against marriages or that most of u are blinded by personal opinion?? or the nigeria's child acts right of 2003? martinosi- go and sit somewhere we have seen ur bolded headlines, they arent that entertaining- take a break followed by an education and grow the f up!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by opata(m): 1:28pm On Apr 29, 2010
@ ayettymama ,

abeg stop all this semantics, dissembling and distortions. oh , and the insults too.

if something is wrong, you should seek avenues to redress it. even where there are no enabling laws, they can be created but only by protest and representation.

if we adopt this seat on the fence attitude, nothing will change. if you think you're immune and these things can never touch you, better have a rethink. things have a multiplier way of hitting innocent people.

if ahmed yerima has his way (and he may well eventually have it; he's in government, isn't he?), you would wear a veil at all times, not be able to work with your hard earned academic degrees and generally be a second class citizen.

better be careful , and fight (not necessarily physical) when you can ,
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by samcc30(m): 1:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
w
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by becomricha: 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
Some question is nature. And this case is nature. It is like you asking the question. Why do black men love white women. You would be shock by the % of black men who are married to white women . black children abroad are more 50% likely to prefer a white woman to a black woman. look at nba star. most of this thing is more of nature.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by martinosi: 1:43pm On Apr 29, 2010
opata:

@ ayettymama , 

abeg stop all this semantics, dissembling and distortions. oh ,  and the insults too.

if something is wrong, you should seek avenues to redress it. even where there are no enabling laws, they can be created but only by protest and representation.

if we adopt this seat on the fence attitude, nothing will change. if you think you're immune and these things can never touch you, better have a rethink. things have a multiplier way of hitting innocent people.

if ahmed yerima has his way (and he may well eventually have it; he's in government, isn't he?), you would wear a veil at all times, not be able to work with your hard earned academic degrees and generally be a second class citizen.

better be careful ,  and fight (not necessarily physical) when you can ,

CO-SIGN, thats what i saying man!!! lets look @ the bigger picture and stop
all this trash talk, As you mentioned the guy is in Govt and his a policy maker!!!
Give me a break,  these guys are not fit to make good Policies when all thats
on their mind is lowering the legal age of consent to please their perveted Egos!!!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Tuyis: 1:46pm On Apr 29, 2010
Ayettymama

It appears to me you are trying to rationalize this sick marriage between a 13 year old and 49 year old man. No matter how you look at it, there is something quite disturbing about these type of relationships, apart from the obvious medical risks to this child.

Your comments, coming from a woman left me speechless.  The question I would like to ask this pedo is, how young is too young 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7. How low is he willing to go.

He is a truly sick man.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Orikinla(m): 1:47pm On Apr 29, 2010
Aisha was the youngest and favorite wife of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). , of his first wife of 25 years, Khadija bint Khawilad, the Prophet Muhammad , Most accounts report that Aisha was six years old at the time of her , the prophet muhammed (pbuh) married hazrat aisha when she was only six. ,

http://islam.suite101.com/article.cfm/aisha_youngest_wife_of_the_prophet

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
--Dr. Martin L. King
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by martinosi: 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2010
ayettymama:

and the crap is what?? that most of u failed to point out the actual laws against marriages or that most of u are blinded by personal opinion?? or the nigeria's child acts right of 2003? martinosi- go and sit somewhere we have seen your bolded headlines, they arent that entertaining- take a break followed by an education and grow the f up!

U need to upgrade your thoughts by upgrading your library,
I am into edu-tainment not entertainment and if you follow
my threads/post u will see that i dont just hit der keyboard
just for the fun of it,

THINK, ACT, FEEL, MAMA!!! NOT FEEL, ACT, THINK LOL!!!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by 190: 1:50pm On Apr 29, 2010
just take a look at his picture,  he is obviously born to herd cattle,  if not for the distorted nature of the nigerian state,  this fool is suposed to be in a bush somwhere herding his cows for peanuts,   i dont blame him,  when a monkey sees free bananas what do u expect?

[size=20pt]DIES, I DON LAFF DIEE!![/size]
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by babsmii(m): 1:57pm On Apr 29, 2010
ayettymama:

o please o please o please

your gonna tell me its ready for a guy her age but not ready for an old man?? are there statistics to say children by older men are bigger?? o please go somewhere and u think your intelligent- go somewhere joo let betta people talk!

shocked did you just say i no b betta person, just because i contributed to this. ive always been scared of you and tried avoiding you until now,

you saw my comment in quotes so you should have asked who i quoted instead of attacking me like that.

President of the Medical Women Association of Nigeria, Dr. Mma Wokocha, who led the coalition of women groups to the Senate called for an immediate action to stop the Yerima’s marriage which she called an act of child abuse.

According to Wokocha, “The outcome of this problem is disastrous to the affected little girl. A little at 13, 15 or 17 even the 18 years old depending on the kind of maturity the child has, witnesses some have stunted in growth.

“The pelvic, the female organ of this little one is never mature; never ready for the duty naturally she has to perform, which is reproduction.

i guess she knowas better, except if you're saying she doesnt't know what she's talking about.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by babsmii(m): 2:04pm On Apr 29, 2010
martinosi:

LOL! Sometimes when posters like Ayetta-mama post you have to wonder
whether they just like hearing the Sound of their Keyboard
or the Feeling of typing their "Mis-guarded" thoughts online.!!! lol!

They just chat "Bare-Crap" most of the time!!! What a Patsy!!!

EXACTLY
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by princekevo(m): 2:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
jay bee:

I get your drift. The questions are as follows;
[b]Did a marriage ceremony occur between the 2?
If yes, was it performed by a licensed official or cleric in the case of sharia law?[/b]If you answer No to the above questions then technicaly zilch charges can be brought against the dude.

My brother, this marriage can never be performed under any other law, but civil. The girl involve is not a Nigerian but a foreign Citizen. Thereby either the have a marriage registered under Civil Egyptian law or Civil Nigerian law. Check Nigerian marriage act section 49. So this marriage must have registered under civil marraige law, he is very stupid bring in Muslim laws, which is a religious law. That only work whereby is getting married to a Nigerian also.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by debetmx(m): 2:21pm On Apr 29, 2010
Nigeria is a shame to the world, when we have such perverted fools as Senators and Governors, it tells you why Nigeria is regressing. Its no unfortunate
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by buffox: 2:28pm On Apr 29, 2010
I blame obj for allowing the man to introduce sharia in one state in a secular country. Now see all the confusion, understanding that the religious guise is a sensitive one, he says he is acting by the teachings of the prophet.

Was the prophet a perfect man? Kai. . .d silly thing is if they try to push the thing some people would carry guns that their religion is being undermined
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by bisiaet: 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
It is still like a nightmare because i'm just imagine how could a old man or the man of his status could sit down in his sitting room and be looking at 13 yrs old girl and be calling her his wife sometime it sound like is this real or what? Apart from some folks are saying is not in our constitution but this moral? I can not understand how some people reason.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by AMIRACH: 2:38pm On Apr 29, 2010
For your information Ma’am, Senator Yerima’s marriage is under Nigerian law quite legal. The relevant part of our Criminal Code, which for clarity is Nigerian Criminal Code Part III, Chapter 27, Section 281, reads, “Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without caning.”

You see!

It is quite clearly spelt out there. The girl is not under the age of thirteen, and even if she was, Mr. Yerima’s carnal knowledge of the girl is lawful. After all he married her did he not? Why don’t you and the other members of the Senate sit down and take a long look at the laws that govern our country? I can guarantee that you will see so many contradictions, enough contradictions in fact, to keep you all busy for a very long time. Instead, you are all interested only in Bills that improve the cash flow to your pockets.

The contradictions in Nigerian law are legion. In this instance, the Criminal Code, on the one hand, clearly states that it is a misdemeanour to have carnal knowledge of a girl aged above thirteen and under sixteen. By giving that age range, I guess it should be all right then to have carnal knowledge of a girl of twelve? In the same Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Marriage Act expects for a marriage to be contracted between persons above the age of twenty-one (Section 11), but grants exceptions to marriages below that age if consent is granted by the legal guardian of the minor in question (Sections 18 and 19). However, the same Marriage Act is silent on the age below which a marriage cannot be contracted. Then there is the section of the Criminal Code which I have quoted above,

Ma’am, you might want to sponsor a Bill seeking to clarify these sections of the law, and also the Marriage Act, which remains one of the most confusing pieces of legislature I have ever read.

culled from a letter written to senator Ekaette  on this issue.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by silentc(m): 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2010
I cannot understand this as it is driving me insane

Please, is there anyone here who understand the islamic faith and can confirm that marriage to a woman under 16 is allowed in Islam? I dont know, so would like to be educated.

If the answer is no, then this man is a disgrace and should not even be in power to lead people and he should be jailed.

If the answer is yes, then I am dissapointed that the Islamic faith officially allows such disgusting acts on minors. I have tried to avoid being judged or being prejudiced to the islamic faith, but if the religion supports this, then I think it is barbaric and disgraceful. Is that the reason why he pushed for Sharia in Nigeria? To justify these acts?

There are lines we should not cross even in the name of religion.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Meldrick(m): 2:50pm On Apr 29, 2010
ayettymama:

and the crap is what?? that most of u failed to point out the actual laws against marriages or that most of u are blinded by personal opinion?? or the nigeria's child acts right of 2003? martinosi- go and sit somewhere we have seen your bolded headlines, they arent that entertaining- take a break followed by an education and grow the f up!

@ ayyetymama or ayamatanga
Sorry, I have to ask this. Are you a product of this type of marriage or did u marry at that age. You appear to be championing Yerima's course. I'm sure he'll be delighted to make you his campaign manager.

bigbish:

pls can the people that are making this noise tell us the marriageble age in the bible?

YOU GUYS ARE JUST SHOUTING CHILD ABUSE ,CHILD ABUSE,
1-WHY ARE YOU NOT CRYING CHILD ABUSE OR WHAT EVER YOU CALL IT BY YOUR VATICAN PASTORS?
2-WHY ARE YOU NOT SHOUTING OVER RAMPANT INCIDENTS OF UNWANTED PREGNANCIES AT EVEN LESS THAN 10YRS

Because people like you are trying so hard to make it a tradition but you know what - God pass you.

This same Yerima will come and campaign for Presidency be sure that he will forcefully marry female babies just born. The idiot only has an erection when he sees female children and babies bathed for by their mothers.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by buffox: 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2010
@ Amirach

Thanks for the info. It just shows we have a lot of work to do in getting this country right.

@silentc

I understand its difficult not to drag religion into this debate, but lets try and keep it controlled so as not to derail the thread. All religious books have accounts of ridiculous things that were done thousands of years back. The responsibility is on the religious leaders to see a broader perspective and put forward what is right to help guide the way welive our lives.

For you question, he claims he is trying to live his life by the prophet's teachings. There are hadiths (teachiongs of the prophet's lifestyle) that puts forward that he did get married to a minor. Also, a lot of this has sunk into the arab culture with no respect for women of any sort. Hence, a lot of ridiculous things are done in the name of what i spermitted, like the trading of young girls for marriage.

So when a set of people like some of the narrow minded northerners choose to idolize a set of people to live their lives by, even if the religious leaders do not directly influence it, they borrow a leaf from these crazy acts in the middle east, and back it up with religion.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Iyara(m): 2:57pm On Apr 29, 2010
Not here to insult anybody or their religion.
In Islam, there are 2 broad classes of things; haram (forbidden) and halal (permissible). Most fall into either group. Just like the practice of slavery, marrying a 13 year old girl is permissible in Islam. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If indeed he did marry a girl of 13 years, as far as his religion is concerned, the man has done nothing wrong. Attempts to prosecute him will be seen as an attack on Islam. In Europe and America, Yerima would be imprisoned and registered as a sex-offender. However, he is not subject to American law. Nigerian laws it would seem are a bit hazy on the matter.

Most importantly, there are Muslim women's groups in Nigeria, as well as Muslim female legislators and politicians. People with power and a voice, should they choose to use it. Why have they not spoken out? Aren't they the most affected demographic? That answer I feel will help us go a long way.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by sevo(m): 3:12pm On Apr 29, 2010
how 40 something abi na 50 something year old man wey sai him go school, wey be one of our extinguish senator go dey to ino sibe with 13 year old gal? no pls somebody explain becos i cant just understand!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by silentc(m): 3:13pm On Apr 29, 2010
buffox:

For you question, he claims he is trying to live his life by the prophet's teachings. There are hadiths (teachiongs of the prophet's lifestyle) that puts forward that he did get married to a minor. Also, a lot of this has sunk into the arab culture with no respect for women of any sort. Hence, a lot of ridiculous things are done in the name of what i spermitted, like the trading of young girls for marriage.

So when a set of people like some of the narrow minded northerners choose to idolize a set of people to live their lives by, even if the religious leaders do not directly influence it, they borrow a leaf from these crazy acts in the middle east, and back it up with religion.

Thanks buffox. That was enlightening.  I cant even comment anymore as i know how i would feel if the 13 year old was my sister.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by alldone(m): 3:13pm On Apr 29, 2010
that is a bad one.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Iyara(m): 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2010
Iyara:

If indeed he did marry a girl of 13 years, as far as his religion is concerned, the man has done nothing wrong. Attempts to prosecute him will be seen as an attack on Islam. In Europe and America, Yerima would be imprisoned and registered as a intimacy-offender. However, he is not subject to American law. Nigerian laws it would seem are a bit hazy on the matter.

INTIMACY-OFFENDER?! Moderators, this has gone too far. So one can't even mention the word S.EX anymore? Imagine a world without Salt 'N Pepa.

Let’s talk about intimacy baby
Let’s talk about you and me
Let’s talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be
Let’s talk about intimacy
Let’s talk about intimacy

2 fingers to the mods. Rubbish.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by PastorOla1: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
May God punish satan!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Don’t Give Igbos Biafra, Dahiru Bauchi Tells FG / NJC Advises Buhari To Confirm Tanko Muhammad As Substantive CJN / Lagos Taskforce Intercepts Truck With 123 Men, 48 Bikes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.