Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) (25321 Views)

Sani Yerima For Trial By ICPC / The Phone Call That Save Nigeria - BBC / Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima Justifies Marriage To 13-year-old Egyptian Girl. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by OAM4J: 3:32pm On Apr 29, 2010
1st virtually everyone knows that what our dishonourable Senator did is shameful to say the least.

But many of you guys are not addressing the issues/questions ayettymama is raising. She clearly stated she is not in support of Yerima act.

Her questions are: has Yerima broken any law marrying the girl? NO

Is this the first time this is happening? NO

Why the noise now especially when there are more important issues to address?

@Ayettymama

Many of us know that our law book is porous to say the least, and even if it is not, Nigeria as it stands today will find it difficult getting conviction for the likes of 'above the law' as Yerima.

We are also aware that these have been going on for years unchecked, though unchecked/unchallenged does not make it right or acceptable. also I know there are more serious issues needing attention now.

But the only way the likes of Yerima can be stopped or prosecuted is thorough public outcry and shame.

Also if someone like Yerima, supposedly a leader in Nigeria, an ex Governor and a senator is allowed to do this unchallenged, it will amount to public acceptance of the act and encourages others in the future to follows suit.

With this public outcry, the senate is now being forced to look at the issue and our law books concerning the matter

and am sure others who are thinking of doing same will think twice b4 doing so, especially those who are our leaders, who are suppose to be examples.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by kufreabasi(m): 3:39pm On Apr 29, 2010
Unlike Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's father, Nigerian should plan on how to give Senator Yerima award because his act has entered guiness book of record.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by bawomolo(m): 3:43pm On Apr 29, 2010
this is what is driving the country backwards white man says jump black man says how high-

i never knew protecting the rights of underaged women was kissing the backsides of the white man.  I guess increased risk of VVF among child brides is of no hindrance to you.

13 yr olds have intimacy and get pregnant, so where exactly does the damage lie??

it's all good thing, it happens so its right.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Tuyis: 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2010
OAM4J:

1st virtually everyone knows that what our dishonourable Senator did is shameful to say the least.

But many of you guys are not addressing the issues/questions ayettymama is raising. She clearly stated she is not in support of Yerima act.

Her questions are: has Yerima broken any law marrying the girl? NO

Is this the first time this is happening? NO

Why the noise now especially when there are more important issues to address?

@Ayettymama

Many of us know that our law book is porous to say the least, and even if it is not, Nigeria as it stands today will find it difficult getting conviction for the likes of 'above the law' as Yerima.

We are also aware that these have been going on for years unchecked, though unchecked/unchallenged does not make it right or acceptable. also I know there are more serious issues needing attention now.

But the only way the likes of Yerima can be stopped or prosecuted is thorough public outcry and shame.

Also if someone like Yerima, supposedly a leader in Nigeria, an ex Governor and a senator is allowed to do this unchallenged, it will amount to public acceptance of the act and encourages others in the future to follows suit.

With this public outcry, the senate is now being forced to look at the issue and our law books concerning the matter

and am sure others who are thinking of doing same will think twice b4 doing so, especially those who are our leaders, who are suppose to be examples.

You cannot say because these things happen, then let's move on and forget about it. The whole point of speaking out against this is to put a stop to it, since most of us agree it is bad.

Even if our laws are not enforced, the true test of character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Something a senator should understand.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2010
bawomolo:

i never knew protecting the rights of underaged women was kissing the backsides of the white man.  I guess increased risk of VVF among child brides is of no hindrance to you.

it's all good thing, it happens so its right.
Then you never knew that speaking "correct" English is trynna be white lmao!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by OAM4J: 3:54pm On Apr 29, 2010
Tuyis:

You cannot say because these things happen, then let's move on and forget about it. The whole point of speaking out against this is to put a stop to it, since most of us agree it is bad.

Even if our laws are not enforced, the true test of character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Something a senator should understand.

Read my post again. . . the bold is exactly my point.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by platinumnk(f): 3:59pm On Apr 29, 2010
This is sad.
I feel bad for the poor girl.

A man 3 times her size, age, and, knowledge.

Shivers. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

What happened to the 15 yr old girl
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Emmacarnegie(m): 4:01pm On Apr 29, 2010
I respected dat man b4 but now i doubt iat
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by platinumnk(f): 4:07pm On Apr 29, 2010
Just because something is done in this country, doesnt mean that it is right.

Science- Unbiased to Religions , have time and time over again that children are not fully developed until 15-18.

Yes a woman may get her cycle at 13 but that doesnt mean she is fully grown. Sighs. . Nigeria - woe is thee cry
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by hannydarl(f): 4:13pm On Apr 29, 2010
Bad, bad, bad goaty randy grandpa.

On the other hand I think porverty is the cause sha. I donot see any rich moslem in this age and time giving their 13 year old daughter to an old grandpa but I tell you porverty can cause an atheist to give his 6month old daughter to be DEFILED by sani yerima as long as sani likes them tight and crying out in pain to make him feel like a man in bed and is willing to pay 100000 dollars.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Meldrick(m): 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
I tell you that type of man (Yerima) will kill any man he sees near his thirteen(13) year old daughter. I wish I knew his daughter so I send boys to attack his daughter when she clocks 13.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by hdwada: 4:26pm On Apr 29, 2010
Meldrick:

I tell you that type of man (Yerima) will kill any man he sees near his thirteen(13) year old daughter. I wish I knew his daughter so I send boys to attack his daughter when she clocks 13.
cheesy
But on a serious note, that is not a solution this is such a sad sorry, I wish I knew when he is in Europe so I could personally press paedophilia charges against him. Shameless animal
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by platinumnk(f): 4:28pm On Apr 29, 2010
hannydarl:

Bad, bad, bad goaty randy grandpa.

On the other hand I think porverty is the cause sha. I donot see any rich moslem in this age and time giving their 13 year old daughter to an old grandpa but I tell you porverty can cause an atheist to give his 6month old daughter to be DEFILED by sani yerima [size=28pt]as long as sani likes them tight and crying out in pain [/size] to make him feel like a man in bed and is willing to pay 100000 dollars.

cry cry cry cry
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 29, 2010
hdwada:

cheesy
But on a serious note, that is not a solution this is such a sad sorry, I wish I knew when he is in Europe so I could personally press paedophilia charges against him. Shameless animal

I'm really confused. . . . cuz someone here is trying to take for an id//iot. . . .

I just quoted the laws of countries in Europe, America, and the Vatican that accept it as legal to contract intimacy as such early ages. Perhaps I should remind you again: For the VATICAN it is 12 years old; In spain 13 years old; Massachussets as low as 12 years old; New Hampshire 13 years old. I guess all these states are pe /dophilic too.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-420703.32.html#bot

One says pe//dophillia is encouraged in Europe, one says not!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Kratos007(m): 4:57pm On Apr 29, 2010
well, i am not surprised by this shameful act, all the leaders in this failed country called nigeria are totally lawless
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 29, 2010
Once BBC publishes a story all other western media start to publish the news.

Nigeria has been utterly disgraced this year.

UK Telegraph one of the most widely read papers now reporting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/7648210/Nigerian-senator-investigated-over-alleged-child-bride.html

http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article424726.ece/Nigeria-investigates-child-bride

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5htfeqa5sKo4jKSRGJ1gaQg8IvxwQ

[size=13pt]And now for some comments about Ahmad Sani Yerima by westerners.
[/size]

however old the child turned out to be (13 or 18) - how did a Nigerian elected official raise $100,000 for a dowry in any sort of honest and legal way? Nigeria is one of the poorest nations on earth. You cannot tell me he saved up the money from his senate salary!

Haven't you been receiving those scam emails? That is how he paid the dowry.

Here is a news flash - when we give foregin aid to countries we are attempting to impose our standards of morality on these countries. Left to the standards of some countries, despite the fact that it is in their means (don't tell me a country where a man can support a 100,000 dowry and multiple wives does not have the means) to support kids starving on the streets, left to their own devices they would let them starve. So when we give foreign aid, we are attempting to impose our moral code on them. Therefore the question is, is our moral code a better than theirs in regards this matter? Is our moral code better when it comes to a suitable marriage age?

Just a note, Fisutal victims are prodigious in African countries where the marriage age has no limits (or immorally low limts). It has got so bad, that fistual surgeons in some parts of Africa are actually not physician surgeons. They are not even nurses. They are the equivalent of community health workers who have been given training in Fistula surgery. They have got extreemly proficient at this task (because as we all know practice makes perfect) they they are now the leaders in this surgery.

Sick men of the world,
Seek help and please stay away from little boys and girls.

You are sick, of this there is no doubt, it does not matter your position, your money, or your clout.
Do yourself a favor, and lie on a psychiatrist's couch, let those demons out in a controlled environment.

Sick men posing as honorable and dignified and “We ain't buying it!"

Sick men of the world,
Seek help or burn in hell -- both here and beyond.

Sick men of the world,
I salute you not, no matter what flag you raise or unfurl, or whatever facade of decency you may don, I detest your lot.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 151
Narrated 'Aisha:
I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Ambber(f): 5:06pm On Apr 29, 2010
Na true story! oloriburuku, serial paedophile and an obsessed warped minded pervert angry angry angry angry
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Fhiminana: 5:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
The man is a rituallist and should be apprehended. I can almost swear to God Almighty that such a man is not normal. Imagine a senator who is abnormal representing or making laws for the land; what do we expect?

Well, his own case has spilled out who knows the number of such offences and probably rapes and killings of innocent children by these power mongers who will want to remain in power forever?

His people should recall and quarantine him to avoid future trends as it appears the man enjoys toddlers. God have mercy.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Dede1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2010
Did Sani Yerima breach any statutory law either in Nigeria or Egypt? It is utter stupidity to call for prosecution of an individual based on moral grounds.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Hauwa1: 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2010
Awusa pple don carry their babybride.com go egypt? walahi, su na de zuchia fa!
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by mrkoma2012: 5:56pm On Apr 29, 2010
Another great example how a person in authority in nigeria can act without any consideration.He should be be headed bloody illiterate.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by OAM4J: 5:58pm On Apr 29, 2010

[size=16pt]Egypt:Why We’ve Not Acted on Yarima’s Marriage to Minor
[/size]
After more than a month of public pressure, the Embassy of Egypt in Abuja has said it cannot take any action on the alleged marriage of Senator Ahmed Sani Yarima to an Egyptian minor because the matter has not been brought to its attention officially.
Also, the Senate has directed that an investigation be conducted on the matter while the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Iyom Josephine Anenih has said the Federal Government cannot initiate legal action until concrete evidence is provided.

Yarima who is the former Governor  of Zamfara State now Senate Minority Whip, came under fire from women rights activists and civil society groups  for his alleged marriage to a 13-year old Egyptian.
The marriage had reportedly taken place in Abuja because the Egyptian authorities would not endorse getting hitched to an underage girl.
The Press & Information Officer of the Egyptian Embassy in Nigeria Dr. Mohammed Saber told THISDAY on phone that, “We cannot take the girl away from where she is because no one has reported anything to us.”
He, however, confirmed that he is aware of the matter through newspaper reports.

Meanwhile, swayed by public pressure, the Senate has directed an investigation into the matter. A petition by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), which was presented by Chair of the Senate Committee on Women Affairs, Emem Uffot Ekaette paved the way for the investigation.
Ekaette had raised a point of order, citing Rule 41 of the Senate Standing Rules (2007 as amended) which forecloses debate to lay a copy of the petition, consequent upon which the Upper House asked the Ethics, Privileges and Public Petition Committee to investigate the matter.

Yarima’s action is seen by women groups as a setback in the fight against Vesicovaginal Fistula  (VVF), especially when considering his social standing as a Senator and a former governor.

VVF occurs when the blood supply to the tissues of the womanliness and the bladder is restricted during prolonged obstructed labour. Consequently, the tissues die between these organs, forming holes through which urine can pass uncontrollably. It widely happens to minors because of their yet to be fully developed organs.

Full story here
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by MeAboki(m): 6:04pm On Apr 29, 2010
Considering the venom in majority of the posts against this man Yarima, and also the multiciplity of the threads started against him, on the same subject of his alleged marriage to a 13 year old.

It is therefore not difficult to imagine that the country would soon not be a welcomed place for him to live.
So if I were him, I would take my young bride and settle in Spain where the age of sexual consent is still 13  i.e the same as that of the alleged bride; or better still seek asylum at the Vatican where it is just only 12 years.

Afterall, child sex abuse is common among catholic priests and the Pope is reknown for covering up for them - just as I would imagine he would cover up for Yarima, should he (Yarima) take my advice and seek asylum at the Vatican.  cool
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^

This is the kind of reply I expect from you, a lighter mood comment.

More of this and we will be friends soon.

In fact I will organise a visa for you to visit London, lol.   grin
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by JaaizTech: 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2010
Me_Aboki:

Considering the venom in majority of the posts against this man Yarima, and also the multiciplity of the threads started against him, on the same subject of his alleged marriage to a 13 year old.

It is therefore not difficult to imagine that the country would soon not be a welcomed place for him to live.
So if I were him, I would take my young bride and settle in Spain where the age of sexual consent is still 13  i.e the same as that of the alleged bride; or better still seek asylum at the Vatican where it is just only 12 years.

Afterall, child intimacy abuse is common among catholic priests and the Pope is reknown for covering up for them - just as I would imagine he would cover up for Yarima, should he (Yarima) take my advice and seek asylum at the Vatican.  cool
KPOM. IT could have been a lot easier for him.
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by platinumnk(f): 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2010
JaaizTech:

KPOM. IT could have been a lot easier for him.
He was talking in Tounge in Cheek!  You are supporting the argument!?

GOSH, just because its Legal in SOME PLACE doesnt mean it is right.
What I would give for men to get pregnant, even if for a few hours. . .  cry cry cry
This entire world would change.

[size=38pt]Yarima’s action is seen by women groups as a setback in the fight against Vesicovaginal Fistula  (VVF), especially when considering his social standing as a Senator and a former governor.

VVF occurs when the blood supply to the tissues of the womanliness and the bladder is restricted during prolonged obstructed labour. Consequently, the tissues die between these organs, forming holes through which urine can pass uncontrollably. It widely happens to minors because of their yet to be fully developed organs.[/size]
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by jmoore(m): 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
he has denied that the girls age is 13 but he refused to disclose her age. he said that even prophet mohammed married a young girl so he can also do likewise as far as it is right in islamic law
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Bastage: 8:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
I love these guys who are saying that it is OK for Yarima because the Vatican State City has a consenting age of 12.

LOL. Tell me how many 12 year old girls make up the population of 800?

Mind, the choirboys are probably getting it from the Catholic priests but that's not really on topic. grin
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by fbabs(m): 9:57pm On Apr 29, 2010
It is not morally acceptable but i don't think Nigerian law is against it .Any legal icon around ?
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by bawomolo(m): 10:24pm On Apr 29, 2010
Bastage:

Mind, the choirboys are probably getting it from the Catholic priests but that's not really on topic. grin

grin grin
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 29, 2010
IT IS A PITY THAT NOBODY IS SEEING THIS FOR WHAT IT IS, THIS WHOLE THING IS ABOUT BEING RELEVANT, 2011 IS COMING FAST SO DO ANYTHING FOR PEOPLE TO HEAR YOUR NAME NO MATTER HOW STUPID AS A MATTER OF FACT THE "STUPIDER" THE BETTER, WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IBB HAD THE MIND TO SAY THAT YOUNGER NIGERIANS ARE NOT FIT TO RULE, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO PROVOKE RESPONSE, PRIOR TO THAT STATEMENT HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU REMEMBERED IBB, THAT IS THE SAME REASON YERIMA  DECLARED SHARIA AND PEOPLE THOUGHT THE MAN WAS A GOOD MUSLIM, IT IS ALL POLITICS AND BEING RELEVANT, DONT BLAME HIM, BLAME THE NATION THAT HE COMES FROM, WHERE THE RULE OF LAW IS FOR THE POOR, WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE SIDELINED TO HISTORY DO ONE CRAZY THING AND YOU ARE BACK IN THE PRESENT,
Re: Ahmad Sani Yerima Disgraces Nigeria -BBC Report (example child bride pic posted) by platinumnk(f): 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^So mutilating a child is called being Relvant? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Gosh, I dont ever want to live in the Country you want to rule!

Its not just morally wrong, it is wrong!
The Children are undevloped!

How more can it be stated?

All these people who support This monstrocity . . I hope you never have children! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Group Decries Buhari's Worrisome Display Of Misogynistic Tendencies / Suicide Attack On Kano Market Aborted / Obasanjo Hosted At Zambian Presidential Palace As He Meets With President. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.