Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34553 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Iceberg3: 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
Lean a little boy.

HISTORY OF OLUKUMI people.

Located in the heart of Anioma land in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta State are the bilingual people Who speak Olukwumi and Enuani(igbo dialect) perfectly.
The olukwumi people are said to have migrated from the old oyo empire over 1000years ago. They are located in the heart of Anioma land in delta state and can either be referred or classified as Olukwumi people or Ndi Igbos of the west(Delta igbos). Their customs and traditions are that of the igbos in Anioma and they also speak both the olukwumi language and the Enuani dialect perfectly. They also bear both olukwumi and igbo names.
In recent times due to the seemingly extinction of the olukwumi language ,most of the youths speak just the enuani dialect and the purest form of the olukwumi dialect is only spoken by elders in the community. Although they are measures being taken to preserve the unique Olukwumi dialect.
They partook in every activity during the Ekumeku war,and others.
These Anioma son's occupy an area just west of the Niger River's right bank. The area is rich in Chalk and Kaolin deposits.

The Olukumis according to their own oral traditions are said to have migrated from either the Owo , Akure or the Akoko areas of
Yorubaland as many others migrated too as at then to various places of settlement,for example the onitsha's in Anambra state migrated from the Benin Empire , depending on the Olukumi town in question. All the aforementioned towns are in Ondo state, in the eastern sections of Yorubaland. Ugbodu for instance claims to have migrated in waves from the Owo and Akure axis. Ugbodu lore further claims that shortly after their migration from Owo/Akure, they settled in Benin , from where they left to settle in a place called Ewohimi, which is an Esan-speaking community and is today located in Edo State . From Ewohimi they settled in Ugbodu as a result of a war that threatened them. A quarter of Ugbodu town named Ologhosa was named after an Owo (Ogho) general who led the early settlers. [3] They speak a variant of the Yoruba language which most closely resembles those of the South-Eastern Yoruba dialect grouping (SEY), which has surprisingly remained relatively intact, even hundreds of years in their new location after being detached from the main contiguous body of the Yoruba cultural area.

About three or four generations after the establishment, one Agbe said to be a relative of the founders of Usen, a town now in Edo state near the Ondo state boundary and the town of Okada (they came from Ile-Ife ) moved eastwards and settled near the Ugbodu people. He and his group were attracted to a chalk (efun) site and thus settled there. This was the beginning of the town of Eko Efun (Ukwu-Nzu). Gradually, the Ukwu Nzu people began to earn revenue from the chalk mines and they for this reason were called a people settled on a chalk mining camp. "Ago or Eko Efun" would mean "chalk camp" in Yoruba. Due to the subsequent blend and location of their settlements with the Enuani speakers, they today speak both the Enuani dialect of Igbo language and Olukumi dialect of Yoruba, in some of the villages, the Olukumi dialect is threatened, but the people are making active and conscious efforts to preserve the Olukumi language and culture. Some of these measures adopted by them have been aimed at ensuring the retention and rejuvenation of their Olukumi names by making sure olukimi children bear the names. Some of the adults have changed their erstwhile non olukumi names to olukumi ones. Prayers and recitals in their native language are also being encouraged, while making conscious efforts at speaking the language to their children and in their communities as a whole.
According to a report published on the Sunday Tribune of October 24, 2010 by Banji Aluko, they have also started to organize recitation and oratory quizzes and competitions in Olukumi as a way of preserving the language for the future generations. [ citation needed] Digital and written documentation of the language is also ongoing among linguists. Chief G B Nkemnacho, a lawyer of Olukumi origin, has over the past forty years, documented his people's history as told by the older generation, being the very people who lived through it. Prior to his groundbreaking work, most of this history has been in oral form passed from one generation to the next.

grin

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
land grabbers no modern Igbo came from ife the igbo people of then are in modern day Ondo State stop saying rubbish
In war, not everyone goes on exile. Also, not everyone is 'expelled'.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Have you given examplee in Germany?

He is an Ibo man with a PhD he should know what he is talking about whe he says the word has no meaning

But it has in the language of your masters.

There is a New York, a Birmingham et in USA what does it prove ?

colonization not that they have a meaning in Native American

So place names with Igbo in it CONFIRMS the slave bush dweller claim
Give examples in Yorubaland abeg or let's forget this argument if there is none.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Did you even read your own article? The king dodged you lots and kept you lots waiting for hours. The only person you spoke to according to your own article was Ademole Ochei while pathetically ascribing his as "brother of the king" despite the royal family name of Ugbodu is ISINYEMEZE. Definitely yoruba name is it not?

Secondly despite desperately attache by force to olukumni, you people don't even know jack shit about olukumni. Pathetic!!! Ayo ISINYEMEZE is the king of Ugbodu which is ONE town in olukumni. There is no such thing as the king of olukumni dummy. The rest of olukumni towns have their own kings. I suggest go and research the people you lots are desperately trying to attache by force to
yes does the king of Ugbodu dress like ibo to u

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
How will this your epistle change the fact that they know their origin and they never changed it for once grin

How is your crying going to change they ain't calling themselves yoruba nor making any effort to change it?

Oya go to their ancestors grave and dig up the ones wey come from waste since una are that desperate to attache

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:
In war, not everyone goes on exile. Also, not everyone is 'expelled'.
if u no stop this ur nonsense with no facts the ugbo king in ondo states still exist today to tell the true stories not some bullshit by an osu ipob who has nothing proud to ascribe to his own history and desperately trying claim another person own.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
yes does the king of Ugbodu dress like ibo to u

grin grin grin grin grin grin

No he dresses like a chinese man just like Asagba.

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

The name Yoruba was not imposed on us by anyone. We chose to adopt it and we are happy with our decision.

It is also important to state here that the sacking of Oyo Kingdom led to the dissolution of the Empire not the defeat of the Yoruba people. The vassal states under the Alaafin regained their independence and fortified themselves militarily and economically.

Subsequent Invasions by the Fulanis were successfully thwarted.Twice they came and we're soundly defeated. Their last attempt was in 1840, which led to all the Yoruba kingdoms donating their best warriors who congregated in Iba -Odan or Camp on a Hill which is today known as Ibadan from which The Yoruba forces fighting with muskets and cannons were unleashed on the invading Fulani invaders The casualties on them was so heavy that they never attempted another Jihad against us again.

Igbos who sees themselves as Fulani slaves should please stop comparing us with them. As far as Fulanis are concerned, they know where we stand with them and where they stand with us.
Somebody coined the word before you decided to adopt it, good but it has no meaning in the language itself which means it was imposed on you

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Give examples in Yorubaland abeg or let's forget this argument if there is none.

forget ke ?

We just dey start o

Confirm article from ya Bulod DrOsuji
Igbo has no meaning in Igbo language. Confirmed

It means bush and slave

And since your people were nakedd Shrieking bush dwellers often raided for slaves by their more civilized neighbours the name stuck

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

How is your crying going to change they ain't calling themselves yoruba nor making any effort to change it?

Oya go to their ancestors grave and dig up the ones wey come from waste since una are that desperate to attache
but they are making an effort to preserve their way of life and language and the best part is they know where they came from Yoruba land

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Lol, a credible link indeed so why is Igbo in the names of people and places I talked about?
Remember you have not given me any examples in Yorubaland

The Benin Kingdom invasion of parts of Yorubaland from the eastern front led to Yoruba minorities and subgroups being forced to adopt non-yoruba customs in order to increase acceptability among their new overlords.

The same thing happened in Ilorin where Yoruba people there dress like Hausa people and changed their names into Islamic names, though they still speak their Yoruba language.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Somebody coined the word before you decided to adopt it, good but it has no meaning in the language itself which means it was imposed on you
it has not been proved that it was coined by Ahmed baba it was just written in his book to describe the people he met who knows maybe they told him that’s what they go by and it was later use to refer to the people of the oyo empire and adopted by all modern Yoruba

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

No he dresses like a chinese man just like Asagba.

they are different

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
but they are making an effort to preserve their way of life and language and the best part is they know where they came from Yoruba land

Keep on decieving unaselves. Until i start seeing young ones aming them speaking yoruba language then you can start with the "they preserving their language". Preserving the language yet only elders speak am grin grin grin. Like I told that other niggas go dig up their dead from centuries ago since una are that desperate.

Seriously when we start seeing just one known person from that area start claiming una then una can talk. Y'all just look mighty pathetic and desperate

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

forget ke ?

We just dey start o

Confirm article from ya Bulod DrOsuji
Igbo has no meaning in Igbo language. Confirmed

It means bush and slave

And since your people were nakedd Shrieking bush dwellers often raided for slaves by their more civilized neighbours the name stuck
Google Ngozi town in Burundi and the name Ngozi in Igbo language and tell me if both would have any correlation.
igbo in Yoruba means bush but in Igbo, it means people.
Tell me the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language and give examples of people and places with Yoruba attached.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 7:00pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Google Ngozi town in Burundi and the name Ngozi in Igbo language and tell me if both would have any correlation.
igbo in Yoruba means bush but in Igbo, it means people.
Tell me the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language and give examples of people and places with Yoruba attached.

No an Igbo Phd has said it has no meaning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Keep on decieving unaselves. Until i start seeing young ones aming them speaking yoruba language then you can start with the "they preserving their language". Preserving the language yet only elders speak am grin grin grin. Like I told that other niggas go dig up their dead from centuries ago since una are that desperate.

Seriously when we start seeing just one known person from that area start claiming una then una can talk. Y'all just look mighty pathetic and desperate
according to the king not me olukumi is the first language why ibo second. Stop grabbing the olukumi people their history is detailed and cannot be watched away by ipob lies they know where they come from and accept it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 7:04pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
it has not been proved that it was coined by Ahmed baba it was just written in his book to describe the people he met who knows maybe they told him that’s what they go by and it was later use to refer to the people of the oyo empire and adopted by all modern Yoruba
I don't want maybes, I want the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language.
I've told you the meaning of Igbo in the Igbo language and you guys are yet to reciprocate, accept the fact, Yoruba was imposed on you guys by outsiders and that is why you don't know the meaning in the language.
Funny enough, a non Yoruba coined a word to describe your people and you willingly accepted it as your heritage. Good luck on that one.

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

No an Igbo Phd has said it has no meaning.
Go to those towns in Anambra, Delta and Rivers I gave as examples then come back.
Meanwhile I'm still waiting for that of Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
they are different

grin grin grin grin

See desperation.

The bead hat is the same.
The white cloth is the same.
The necklace is the same

The only thing different is the neckbrace which asagba wears for special occasions.

Let me help you cry and dig your head deeper some more.

Asagba again
Nri king
Ubulu uku king

All wearing those chinese clothes. No mind that ugbodu king wearing chinese clothes trying to take shine away from una attache by force.

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO COINED THE WORD. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS TROUBLEMAKER!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 7:08pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Go to those towns in Anambra, Delta and Rivers I gave as examples then come back.
Meanwhile I'm still waiting for that of Yorubaland.
You will wait till you get sense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
if u no stop this ur nonsense with no facts the ugbo king in ondo states still exist today to tell the true stories not some bullshit by an osu ipob who has nothing proud to ascribe to his own history and desperately trying claim another person own.

How is this thing you wrote a point? Go and sit down if you don't have any point you can bring up. Just look at!
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 7:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
I won't leave you today till you tell me the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language.
And some names of people and places with Yoruba prefix or suffix
Ok but if you do leave you willl never prosper we have just under 6 hours where I am till the end of the day
Do you accept that your eople were slaves of the Igalas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 7:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

You will wait till you get sense
Ok, a sign of defeat. No problem bro, next time you say what you know

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 7:13pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Stop the merry go round abeg, give me names of people and places in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix, don't let me believe the name Yoruba was actually imposed on you since you have no name suitable enough for your people.
I've given you some examples in Igboland and you are yet to mention just one in Yorubaland.
Maybe you should first give me names of people and places with Fulani, Hausa, Ijaw, Bini, Jew, English, Portuguese etc as prefix and suffix.
One thing all ipob have in common is FOOLISHNESS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Ok, a sign of defeat. No problem bro, next time you say what you know
I have already addressed that so stop repeating yorself,

Tell us what Igbo means in Igbo language

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:

How is this thing you wrote a point? Go and sit down if you don't have any point you can bring up. Just look at!
u are fool be proud of ur history no history says Igbo people were In ife the Igbo people of Yoruba are bush people and they are Ondo State today so stop lying

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 7:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO COINED THE WORD. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS TROUBLEMAKER!
Asking an innocent question makes me a trouble maker? Then I'll forever be a trouble maker. What is the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language, give me names of people and places with Yoruba prefix or suffix so we can end this talk talk biko

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 7:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
PVision2020:

Maybe you should first give me names of people and places with Fulani, Hausa, Ijaw, Bini, Jew, English, Portuguese etc as prefix and suffix.
One thing all ipob have in common is FOOLISHNESS
It is not foolishness but insanity

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Pictures Buharis Campaign In Katsina As People Brave The Sun To Wait For Him / Extra Cleanup As Rainfall Hits Podium Where Tinubu Will Take Oath Of Office. Vid / How Buhari Plans To Wipe Out Boko Haram, Create Jobs—Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.