Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34550 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 5:56pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

There is no need to create an unnecessary argument.

The Oyo people were the first to be known as Anago or Nago. Other "Yoruba" speakers came to be known by that temrinology especially in the zone of the Oyo Empire.The word itself is an Oyo word

This is well documented by the Portuguese and Spanish centuries ago.
You seem to be suggesting that migration stopped with the creation of Nigeria. You will be surprised to find out how many Yorubas living in Porto Novo are of Nigerian origin . Not Just Benin but Togo

FYI there was an incident of Nigerians must go in Ghana in the 60s right in the middle of the civil war most of them were Yoruba and that is why the 1981 retaliation went down well in Nigeria though today many don't know it was a retaliation

Emmanuel Adebayor is a good example.He is of Nigerian origin
That is all I have to say on the past .

Regardin listening well or not.

That depends on Your grounding in the language. What may see strange to you is commonplacee to another
I did not and will not comment on what is happening today in Benin but bear in mind that not everyone here is a child.
I remember, I did not read or hear, when Benin was called Dahomey so I have personal acquaintance with changes as they have occurred over time

Stop muddling up issues. The original Yoruba boundaries extend from The coast of present day Ghana to Warri, Delta state Nigeria. Territories were lost in time on three fronts viz;

(1) Fulani Jihad invasion from the northern front

(2)Benin Kingdom invasion from the eastern front

(3)Colonial powers division of Yorubaland on the western front along the coast of West Africa from Ghana to Nigeria.

Most Nigerians especially Yorubas don't know this since history is no longer being taught in our schools.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Ijebu prefixes the names of Ijebu towns

Ibebu Igbo siimply means The farm or forest where people travelled to farm or hunt in those days before it became populated

In English you would have similar things

Like with towns suffixed with WOOD or GREEN OR COMMON OR HEATH

Educate yourself

Stop the merry go round abeg, give me names of people and places in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix, don't let me believe the name Yoruba was actually imposed on you since you have no name suitable enough for your people.
I've given you some examples in Igboland and you are yet to mention just one in Yorubaland.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Stop the merry go round abeg, give me names of people and places in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix, don't let me believe the name Yoruba was actually imposed on you since you have no name suitable enough for your people.
I've given you some examples in Igboland and you are yet to mention just one in Yorubaland.
What you are suggesting proves the opposite.

Nigeria was ascribed externally.

Bearing names that mean nothin in your language for a town confirms colonzation.
Igbo means slave or Bush dweller

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:03pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

Stop muddling up issues. The original Yoruba boundaries extend from The coast of present day Ghana to Warri, Delta state Nigeria. Territories were lost in time on three fronts viz;

(1) Fulani Jihad invasion from the northern front

(2)Benin Kingdom invasion from the eastern front

(3)Colonial powers division of Yorubaland on the western front along the coast of West Africa from Ghana to Nigeria.

Most Nigerians especially Yorubas don't know this since history is no longer being taught in our schools.
I will not convince you and you will not convince me can we close or is there more?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

all these time you are wasting mentioning me would have been used to go seek your real collective national name.

Oyoruba
Guy, why shooting yourself in the foot. Mocking your own tribe people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:07pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:
What you are suggesting proves the opposite.

Nigeria was ascribed externally.

Bearing names that mean nothin in your language for a town confirms colonzation.
Igbo means slave or Bush dweller
It's obvious to everyone here that Yoruba was actually imposed on you, Nigeria has a meaning, a contraction of two words -----Niger and area, at least your social studies class in primary school should have taught you that.
I've told you the meaning of the examples I gave you but you just want to argue over nothing you know about.
Meanwhile, give me a name of person or place in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix and you cannot fit.
Yoruba was imposed on you and your people, QED.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 6:08pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:
Olukumi has their present homeland deep in Delta part of Igbo Land. Name any other place in Africa where it is spoken indigenously apart from Anaocha Local Government in the Igbo part of Delta State.

The other people that speak it are the descendants of the Olucumis that were taken to America during the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

Olucumi is an ancient Igbo Language.

Olukumi people are Yoruba people just like the Ishekiri people of the Warri Kingdom. These people nearly almost lost their identities due to pressure to conform to the way of life of the Bini people as those who do not were severely persecuted by the Binis at the height of their power. These led to adoptions of Non-Yoruba customs, names, vocabularies and way of dressing, such that today many of these people can not tell where they originated from anymore.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

There is no need to create an unnecessary argument.

The Oyo people were the first to be known as Anago or Nago. Other "Yoruba" speakers came to be known by that temrinology especially in the zone of the Oyo Empire.The word itself is an Oyo word

This is well documented by the Portuguese and Spanish centuries ago.
You seem to be suggesting that migration stopped with the creation of Nigeria. You will be surprised to find out how many Yorubas living in Porto Novo are of Nigerian origin . Not Just Benin but Togo

FYI there was an incident of Nigerians must go in Ghana in the 60s right in the middle of the civil war most of them were Yoruba and that is why the 1981 retaliation went down well in Nigeria though today many don't know it was a retaliation

Emmanuel Adebayor is a good example.He is of Nigerian origin
That is all I have to say on the past .

Regardin listening well or not.

That depends on Your grounding in the language. What may see strange to you is commonplacee to another
I did not and will not comment on what is happening today in Benin but bear in mind that not everyone here is a child.
I remember, I did not read or hear, when Benin was called Dahomey so I have personal acquaintance with changes as they have occurred over time
i don’t even think I know what we are arguing about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by nobaga: 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
Actually Yoruba was already in use before Amed Baba put it into writing complaining he should not be captured as a slave because he was a Muslim. Only YORUBA that stuck to their religion and others should be captured for being nonbelievers of Muslim God.

But Yoruba named most of the ethnic groups in Nigeria. Fulani is Yoruba nomenclature, their name varies from Fulbe to others depending on their location.

Tapa is also Yoruba word just as many others looking for greener pastures in Yoruba name.

Ibo is Yoruba word and many Easterners prefer it to Igbo. Indeed, Igbo corrected Yoruba many times that it is IGBO not IBO. Nevertheless Yoruba have other names Igbo did not like. No need to mention them.

Hausa is also a Yoruba word for a group of people Yoruba see as the same even when they refer to themselves as Magawazu, Burno, Gambari etc.

So Yoruba say- Igbonle ni Mula, Hausa ni Hausa nje.

The reason is obvious. Most Nigerians and Africans coming to Nigeria gravitate to the WEST up to the present day.

So Yoruba have names for those coming from Togo, Ghana all the way to Liberia.

Note, Lagosians would name others anything, even their own Yoruba. But they call many others the same name their Yoruba kin call them. So do not take Lagosians seriously. They are rascals that believe the world starts and end in Lagos like New Yorkers.

Corruption has tamed them. Indeed, tamed all
Nigerians, the giant of WHERE?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:
Olukumi has their present homeland deep in Delta part of Igbo Land. Name any other place in Africa where it is spoken indigenously apart from Anaocha Local Government in the Igbo part of Delta State.

The other people that speak it are the descendants of the Olucumis that were taken to America during the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

Olucumi is an ancient Igbo Language.

Who the Heck told you the bolded? Olukumi is not an ancient igbo language. Have you ever heard the language? If you have, you'll know It is not Igbo. It sounds nothing like igbo. Secondly, the olukumis do not speak any olukumni or olucumi or whatever you want to call it. That speak Enuani like the rest of us. Only a hand full, usually their elders, are the ones that still manages to speak olukumi.

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Name whenever you've heard Zeal from Styl-plus ever called himself yoruba? Even when he was called the igbo boy in styl plus, did he ever come out to say otherwise. Ironically enough, he's from the olukumi community.

What about Dr Amankwe, another Olukumni, call himself yoruba?

What about Rose odika, Helen Anyamelune, etc ever called themselves yoruba?

Hell which of this name, all of whom are olukumnis sound yoruba to you.

Fucking HAVE SHAME!!!!

Stick to despereately attaching yourselves to iteskiri and leave Anioma alone. You don't exist in our land and we don't want una!!
Lean a little boy.

HISTORY OF OLUKUMI people.

Located in the heart of Anioma land in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta State are the bilingual people Who speak Olukwumi and Enuani(igbo dialect) perfectly.
The olukwumi people are said to have migrated from the old oyo empire over 1000years ago. They are located in the heart of Anioma land in delta state and can either be referred or classified as Olukwumi people or Ndi Igbos of the west(Delta igbos). Their customs and traditions are that of the igbos in Anioma and they also speak both the olukwumi language and the Enuani dialect perfectly. They also bear both olukwumi and igbo names.
In recent times due to the seemingly extinction of the olukwumi language ,most of the youths speak just the enuani dialect and the purest form of the olukwumi dialect is only spoken by elders in the community. Although they are measures being taken to preserve the unique Olukwumi dialect.
They partook in every activity during the Ekumeku war,and others.
These Anioma son's occupy an area just west of the Niger River's right bank. The area is rich in Chalk and Kaolin deposits.

The Olukumis according to their own oral traditions are said to have migrated from either the Owo , Akure or the Akoko areas of
Yorubaland as many others migrated too as at then to various places of settlement,for example the onitsha's in Anambra state migrated from the Benin Empire , depending on the Olukumi town in question. All the aforementioned towns are in Ondo state, in the eastern sections of Yorubaland. Ugbodu for instance claims to have migrated in waves from the Owo and Akure axis. Ugbodu lore further claims that shortly after their migration from Owo/Akure, they settled in Benin , from where they left to settle in a place called Ewohimi, which is an Esan-speaking community and is today located in Edo State . From Ewohimi they settled in Ugbodu as a result of a war that threatened them. A quarter of Ugbodu town named Ologhosa was named after an Owo (Ogho) general who led the early settlers. [3] They speak a variant of the Yoruba language which most closely resembles those of the South-Eastern Yoruba dialect grouping (SEY), which has surprisingly remained relatively intact, even hundreds of years in their new location after being detached from the main contiguous body of the Yoruba cultural area.

About three or four generations after the establishment, one Agbe said to be a relative of the founders of Usen, a town now in Edo state near the Ondo state boundary and the town of Okada (they came from Ile-Ife ) moved eastwards and settled near the Ugbodu people. He and his group were attracted to a chalk (efun) site and thus settled there. This was the beginning of the town of Eko Efun (Ukwu-Nzu). Gradually, the Ukwu Nzu people began to earn revenue from the chalk mines and they for this reason were called a people settled on a chalk mining camp. "Ago or Eko Efun" would mean "chalk camp" in Yoruba. Due to the subsequent blend and location of their settlements with the Enuani speakers, they today speak both the Enuani dialect of Igbo language and Olukumi dialect of Yoruba, in some of the villages, the Olukumi dialect is threatened, but the people are making active and conscious efforts to preserve the Olukumi language and culture. Some of these measures adopted by them have been aimed at ensuring the retention and rejuvenation of their Olukumi names by making sure olukimi children bear the names. Some of the adults have changed their erstwhile non olukumi names to olukumi ones. Prayers and recitals in their native language are also being encouraged, while making conscious efforts at speaking the language to their children and in their communities as a whole.
According to a report published on the Sunday Tribune of October 24, 2010 by Banji Aluko, they have also started to organize recitation and oratory quizzes and competitions in Olukumi as a way of preserving the language for the future generations. [ citation needed] Digital and written documentation of the language is also ongoing among linguists. Chief G B Nkemnacho, a lawyer of Olukumi origin, has over the past forty years, documented his people's history as told by the older generation, being the very people who lived through it. Prior to his groundbreaking work, most of this history has been in oral form passed from one generation to the next.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GMbuharii: 6:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:
[s][/s]
So you agree that the term "Yoruba" was given to you by a hausa/fulani scholar?

lol
Them rename una like slaves.
lolss grin grin
coneheads yaff suffered,OYOROBBA,Chai!!!
Slaves indeed..lil' wonder,they dobale to any mallam in sight grin Afonja,chai! grin
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

Olukumi people are Yoruba people just like the Ishekiri people of the Warri Kingdom. These people nearly almost lost their identities due to pressure to conform to the way of life of the Bini people as those who do not were severely persecuted by the Binis at the height of their power. These led to adoptions of Non-Yoruba customs, names, vocabularies and way of dressing, such that today many of these people can not tell where they originated from anymore.
Yes, the Itshekiri of Warri are Yoruba. I totally to that. But Olukumi/Lucumi of Aniocha are Igbo. I have cousins from there. I know their history very well. Their language is the ancient Igbo aboriginal language of Ile Ife, that's why there is 'confusion' on the issue.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:17pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
It's obvious to everyone here that Yoruba was actually imposed on you, Nigeria has a meaning, a contraction of two words -----Niger and area, at least your social studies class in primary school should have taught you that.
I've told you the meaning of the examples I gave you but you just want to argue over nothing you know about.
Meanwhile, give me a name of person or place in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix and you cannot fit.
Igbo was given to you as a mark of being slaves and bush dwellers by Igalas

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GMbuharii: 6:17pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
Lean a little boy.

Located in the heart of Anioma land in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta State are the bilingual people Who speak Olukwumi and Enuani(igbo dialect) perfectly.
The olukwumi people are said to have migrated from the old oyo empire over 1000years ago. They are located in the heart of Anioma land in delta state and can either be referred or classified as Olukwumi people or Ndi Igbos of the west(Delta igbos). Their customs and traditions are that of the igbos in Anioma and they also speak both the olukwumi language and the Enuani dialect perfectly. They also bear both olukwumi and igbo names.
In recent times due to the seemingly extinction of the olukwumi language ,most of the youths speak just the enuani dialect and the purest form of the olukwumi dialect is only spoken by elders in the community. Although they are measures being taken to preserve the unique Olukwumi dialect.
These Anioma son's occupy an area just west of the Niger River's right bank. The area is rich in Chalk and Kaolin deposits.

The Olukumis according to their own oral traditions are said to have migrated from either the Owo , Akure or the Akoko areas of
Yorubaland as many others migrated too as at then to various places of settlement,for example the onitsha's in Anambra state migrated from the Benin Empire , depending on the Olukumi town in question. All the aforementioned towns are in Ondo state, in the eastern sections of Yorubaland. Ugbodu for instance claims to have migrated in waves from the Owo and Akure axis. Ugbodu lore further claims that shortly after their migration from Owo/Akure, they settled in Benin , from where they left to settle in a place called Ewohimi, which is an Esan-speaking community and is today located in Edo State . From Ewohimi they settled in Ugbodu as a result of a war that threatened them. A quarter of Ugbodu town named Ologhosa was named after an Owo (Ogho) general who led the early settlers. [3] They speak a variant of the Yoruba language which most closely resembles those of the South-Eastern Yoruba dialect grouping (SEY), which has surprisingly remained relatively intact, even hundreds of years in their new location after being detached from the main contiguous body of the Yoruba cultural area.

About three or four generations after the establishment, one Agbe said to be a relative of the founders of Usen, a town now in Edo state near the Ondo state boundary and the town of Okada (they came from Ile-Ife ) moved eastwards and settled near the Ugbodu people. He and his group were attracted to a chalk (efun) site and thus settled there. This was the beginning of the town of Eko Efun (Ukwu-Nzu). Gradually, the Ukwu Nzu people began to earn revenue from the chalk mines and they for this reason were called a people settled on a chalk mining camp. "Ago or Eko Efun" would mean "chalk camp" in Yoruba. Due to the subsequent blend and location of their settlements with the Enuani speakers, they today speak both the Enuani dialect of Igbo language and Olukumi dialect of Yoruba, in some of the villages, the Olukumi dialect is threatened, but the people are making active and conscious efforts to preserve the Olukumi language and culture. Some of these measures adopted by them have been aimed at ensuring the retention and rejuvenation of their Olukumi names by making sure olukimi children bear the names. Some of the adults have changed their erstwhile non olukumi names to olukumi ones. Prayers and recitals in their native language are also being encouraged, while making conscious efforts at speaking the language to their children and in their communities as a whole.
According to a report published on the Sunday Tribune of October 24, 2010 by Banji Aluko, they have also started to organize recitation and oratory quizzes and competitions in Olukumi as a way of preserving the language for the future generations. [ citation needed] Digital and written documentation of the language is also ongoing among linguists. Chief G B Nkemnacho, a lawyer of Olukumi origin, has over the past forty years, documented his people's history as told by the older generation, being the very people who lived through it. Prior to his groundbreaking work, most of this history has been in oral form passed from one generation to the next.

complete thrash
grin

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:

grin It was Moremi Ajesoro, the beautiful Yoruba woman that seduced the Igbo king Obatala Oreluere and stole the secret of the Igbo warriors who were fighting and almost succeeding in reclaiming Ife. Just like in the biblical story of Samson and Delilah, Oreluere fell for Moremi's considerable charms and divulged the Igbo war secret to her. She now went and told her brothers.

Once she told the Yorubas the secret, the Igbos lost the war. Moremi Hall in Unilag is used to honour her for that feat till this day. If not for her, the Igbos would likely have recaptured Ife.

Edit: to show that Igbo and Yoruba are brothers, Oduduwa later recalled the embittered Obatala, asked him to join him in ruling Ife, and gave him his first daughter Okanbi Iyunade in marriage.

By that time Obatala Oreluere's son Prince China, who had warned him against falling for Moremi, was already in Benin- Anioma with the people you call Niger Delta Igbos today. Most Anioma was then just their farmland, but became their final settlement till this day.

Source: https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://www.amazon.com/History-Igbo-World-Ancient-Civilization-ebook/dp/B01K4AIUO8&hl=en-NG
lol really funny

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:20pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
Lean a little boy.

I suggest REREAD my post before quoting me and saying what I already said. Wtf did you think you just contradicted?

They migrated from Yoruba land fact. Today, they don't claim yoruba. They don't even see themselves as yoruba. They don't even speak the language. Only people that keep calling them yoruba are you yoruba people and it's pathetic!!! Stick to attache by force to iteskiri and LEAVE aniomaland alone. We don't want you people!!!

I know Olukumis because my family is related to them by marriage and I'll forever keep telling you waste things to stop una patheticness.

THERE ARE NO YORUBA IN ANIOMALAND.

Stick to your desperation with iteskiri people and leave us the hell alone.

6 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Igbo was given to you as a mark of being slaves and bush dwellers by Igalas
Thank God for OP and this thread, I never knew Yoruba was actually imposed on you.
We learn everyday

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

I suggest REREAD my post before quoting me and saying what I already said. Wtf did you think you just contradicted?

They migrated from Yoruba land fact. Today, they don't claim yoruba. They don't even see themselves as yoruba. They don't even speak the language. Only people that keep calling them yoruba are you yoruba people and it's pathetic!!! Stick to attache by force to iteskiri and LEAVE aniomaland alone. We don't want you people!!!

I know Olukumis because my family is related to them by marriage and I'll forever keep telling you waste things to stop una patheticness.

THERE ARE NO YORUBA IN ANIOMALAND.

Stick to your desperation with iteskiri people and leave us the hell alone.
There is Yoruba in anioma, deal with it. They know their history, whether you like it or not.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:28pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Thank God for OP and this thread, I never knew Yoruba was actually imposed on you.
We learn everyday
But what is the meaning of igbo in your igbo tongue. Cos I'm Yoruba language, it means bush.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:29pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
We learn everyday
Boring

Check out this link since you want a link

The word has no meaning

http://chatafrik.com/articles/nigerian-affairs/what-is-the-origin-and-meaning-of-the-word-igbo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
But what is the meaning of igbo in your igbo tongue. Cos I'm Yoruba language, it means bush.
Go back to my previous posts and don't just jump into something you know nothing about

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
GMbuharii:

complete thrash
grin
grin See Mumu hehehehehe. So igbo means bush shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
There is Yoruba in anioma, deal with it. They know their history, whether you like it or not.

I just named people from that community that are well known and like I asked the other guy name ONE time they came out and claimed yoruba even when the entire nation named them Igbo.

Name one time they went to media to announce the igbo title ascribe to them by society is incorrect?

Fucking HAVE SHAME!!

Because iteskiri keep pushing you niggas off, now una desperately attache to olukumni. Have Shame!!! Try another route since una are that desperate to be part of delta state. The olukumi people ain't calling themselves yoruba. Hell the only thing that still connects una with them aka the language is even dying off by their own accord. Most of them speaks Igbo language over olukumi. What does that tell you?
Attache. Never knew being part of delta is this much accordance to you people. Abeg, you'll find another community in delta to attache by force to. Ndoooo. I feel una. Stay away from anioma land though

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:
Boring

Check out this link since you want a link

The word has no meaning

http://chatafrik.com/articles/nigerian-affairs/what-is-the-origin-and-meaning-of-the-word-igbo
Lol, a credible link indeed so why is Igbo in the names of people and places I talked about?
Remember you have not given me any examples in Yorubaland

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:

Yes, the Itshekiri of Warri are Yoruba. I totally to that. But Olukumi/Lucumi of Aniocha are Igbo. I have cousins from there. I know their history very well. Their language is the ancient Igbo aboriginal language of Ile Ife, that's why there is 'confusion' on the issue.
land grabbers no modern Igbo came from ife the igbo people of then are in modern day Ondo State stop saying rubbish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

I just named people from that community that are well known and like I asked the other guy name ONE time they came out and claimed yoruba even when the entire nation named them Igbo.

Name one time they went to media to announce the igbo title ascribe to them by society is incorrect?

Fucking HAVE SHAME!!

Because iteskiri keep pushing you niggas off, now una desperately attache to olukumni. Have Shame!!! Try another route since una are that desperate to be part of delta state. The olukumi people ain't calling themselves yoruba. Hell the only thing that still connects una with them aka the language is even dying off by their own accord. Most of them speaks Igbo language over olukumi. What does that tell you?
Attache. Never knew being part of delta is this much accordance to you people. Abeg, you'll find another community in delta to attache by force to. Ndoooo. I feel una. Stay away from anioma land though
How will this your epistle change the fact that they know their origin and they never changed it for once grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Fucking HAVE SHAME!!

shut up their king ayo is doing a reform to not let their language die off so that land grabbing ibo will not claim them. https://www..com/news/1463197/facts-about-the-yoruba-settlement-in-aniocha-delta-state.html

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 6:38pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:

The name Yoruba was not imposed on us by anyone. We chose to adopt it and we are happy with our decision.

It is also important to state here that the sacking of Oyo Kingdom led to the dissolution of the Empire not the defeat of the Yoruba people. The vassal states under the Alaafin regained their independence and fortified themselves militarily and economically.

Subsequent Invasions by the Fulanis were successfully thwarted.Twice they came and we're soundly defeated. Their last attempt was in 1840, which led to all the Yoruba kingdoms donating their best warriors who congregated in Iba -Odan or Camp on a Hill which is today known as Ibadan from which The Yoruba forces fighting with muskets and cannons were unleashed on the invading Fulani invaders The casualties on them was so heavy that they never attempted another Jihad against us again.

Igbos who sees themselves as Fulani slaves should please stop comparing us with them. As far as Fulanis are concerned, they know where we stand with them and where they stand with us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 6:44pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Lol, a credible link indeed so why is Igbo in the names of people and places I talked about?
Remember you have not given me any examples in Yorubaland
Have you given examplee in Germany?

He is an Ibo man with a PhD he should know what he is talking about whe he says the word has no meaning

But it has in the language of your masters.

There is a New York, a Birmingham et in USA what does it prove ?

colonization not that they have a meaning in Native American

So place names with Igbo in it CONFIRMS the slave bush dweller claim

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2018
THE olukumi only adapted to their environment by adopting ibo names and some of their way of life they are not ibo they know their origin.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 6:45pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
shut up their king ayo is doing a reform to not let their language die off so that land grabbing ibo will not claim them. https://www..com/news/1463197/facts-about-the-yoruba-settlement-in-aniocha-delta-state.html

Did you even read your own article? The king dodged you lots and kept you lots waiting for hours. The only person you spoke to according to your own article was Ademole Ochei while pathetically ascribing his as "brother of the king" despite the royal family name of Ugbodu is ISINYEMEZE. Definitely yoruba name is it not?

Secondly despite desperately attache by force to olukumni, you people don't even know jack shit about olukumni. Pathetic!!! Ayo ISINYEMEZE is the king of Ugbodu which is ONE town in olukumni. There is no such thing as the king of olukumni dummy. The rest of olukumni towns have their own kings. I suggest go and research the people you lots are desperately trying to attache by force to

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Tipped To Replace Oyegun As APC Chairman, As Buhari Backtracks / Governor Fayose Carrying A Woman Who Collapsed (pics & Video) / Orji Uzor Kalu Cassava Farm In Abia State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.