Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,074 members, 7,811,012 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road (9944 Views)

Gov. Fashola Plans To Defect To PDP / Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course / Fashola Plans Low Key Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Otobroto(f): 11:53pm On May 23, 2010
indie22:

Eko o ni baje o!

But seriously, something needs to be done about lekki and its many toll points

I am reliably informed that, toll is one of the characteristics of a mega-city grin grin grin.
Down to earth, I am not against them anyway, but this is Nigeria, and Lagos to be precise.
I want to see this money(ies) being collected, genuinely for a job well done.
What I mean is that, If a project is worth N235m per kilometer, do not make it N1billion and now create 3 tolls.
Why not construct the road with the original figure, and make the toll gate one.
So long it is Lagos, whoever invested there, will make his or her money.
In stead of inflating it to like say N60billion and still giving it out for 30 years perhaps, with 3 toll gates.
This is ridiculous! Abeg, submit yourself for probe jare!.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by felele(m): 12:19am On May 24, 2010
[size=20pt]BABAPUPA[/size], I see you've taking on the title of DEFENDER OF FASHOLA.

Please answer this question:

[size=15pt]Why is the proposed new Ikorodu road project, less than 50km, going to cost N60 billion? This makes it more than N1b per kilometre, when Federal Ministry of Works awarded the East-West Road, in similar type of terrain (riverine, swamps and some hard land), for about N330m per kilometre
[/size]

[size=20pt]If this is not evidence of stealing by over-invoicing, I don't know what is!!![/size]
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Ourturn(m): 12:32am On May 24, 2010
felele:

[size=20pt]BABAPUPA[/size], I see you've taking on the title of DEFENDER OF FASHOLA.

[size=15pt]Why is the proposed new Ikorodu road project, less than 50km, going to cost N60 billion? This makes it more than N1b per kilometre, when Federal Ministry of Works awarded the East-West Road, in similar type of terrain (riverine, swamps and some hard land), for about N330m per kilometre
[/size]

[size=20pt]If this is not evidence of stealing by over-invoicing, I don't know what is!!![/size]

Do not bother yourself with Babapupa, he may show his "Pupa face" here today, because the evidences against Fashola by day, are becoming too glaring to still warrant any form of defence. He should just make amends, because soon, his sins might be unforgiveable!. He is doing well no doubt, but the still artistry has been uncovered.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Ourturn(m): 12:34am On May 24, 2010
felele:

[/size]

Do not bother yourself with Babapupa, he may not show his "Pupa face" here today, because the evidences against Fashola by day, are becoming too glaring to still warrant any form of defence. He should just make amends, because soon, his sins might be unforgiveable!. He is doing well no doubt, but his stealing artistry has been uncovered.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by selingel: 12:56am On May 24, 2010
Make the guy show face now, abi he don tire? I will act as unbiased umpire.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by selingel: 1:01am On May 24, 2010
[size=8pt]Come to think of it, WHY IS THIS THREAD NOT ON HOME PAGE?

FASHOLA SUPPORTERS AT WORK!.

THE RIBADU'S BUG IS REALLY INFECTIOUS!

(Another case of selective justice)
[/size]
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Oboma1(m): 1:48pm On May 24, 2010
selingel:

[size=8pt]Come to think of it, WHY IS THIS THREAD NOT ON HOME PAGE?

FASHOLA SUPPORTERS AT WORK!.

THE RIBADU'S BUG IS REALLY INFECTIOUS!

(Another case of selective justice)
[/size]

Na wah oh! Which one be Ribadu bug again? grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by selingel: 5:45pm On May 24, 2010
If bitten by Ribadu's bug, you will be blinded to certain things.
You will not see anything wrong in whatever a certain persons do, because of the passion you have for the person.
The bug is very tinny.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by yemmight(m): 9:51am On May 25, 2010
Honestly I support Fashola's project drive but honestly the issue of 3 toll gates on that road is unfair. People should protest against it. We cannot say somebody is good and as a result we do not see any bad thing against it.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 12:06pm On May 25, 2010
Honestly I support Fashola's project drive but honestly the issue of 3 toll gates on that road is unfair. People should protest against it. We cannot say somebody is good and as a result we do not see any bad thing against it.

why dont u guys face the real issue. . fashola did not award this contract
it was awarded by tinubu and his cronies. . .its actually part of the reason there is problem btw the two. .

Now u can say he can cancel it. . .but u have to ask yourself what are the ramifications of such cancellation?
How much will lagos state pay the contractor for cancelling the project?
what signals will that send to other private sector participants in lagos?

Personally i dont have a problem with the toll
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

why dont u guys face the real issue. . fashola did not award this contract
it was awarded by tinubu and his cronies. . .its actually part of the reason there is problem btw the two. .

Now u can say he can cancel it. . .but u have to ask yourself what are the ramifications of such cancellation?
How much will lagos state pay the contractor for cancelling the project?
what signals will that send to other private sector participants in lagos?

Personally i dont have a problem with the toll
@Paddylo, stop, in your desperate bid to create an excuse for this issue, making Fashola out to be a dunce!
The contract signer(PERSON) is not the problem or issue here at all. For all you and every lagosian should care, the Government awarded that contract and the government, no matter how many times it changes face is responsible for the contract.
A Contract can be cancelled or reviewed, no matter who awarded it. The current government is ALWAYS held responsible for contracts that are executed, especially, within his term. This "BLAME TINUBU FOR ALL THE BAD" tactic is getting really old!
You may not have any problem at all with this or any other issues but don't feel it is your place to produce these generic excuses for a government that people already know is competent enough to handle it's issues.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 4:35pm On May 25, 2010
@Paddylo, stop, in your desperate bid to create an excuse for this issue, making Fashola out to be a dunce!
The contract signer(PERSON) is not the problem or issue here at all. For all you and every lagosian should care, the Government awarded that contract and the government, no matter how many times it changes face is responsible for the contract.
A Contract can be cancelled or reviewed, no matter who awarded it. The current government is ALWAYS held responsible for contracts that are executed, especially, within his term. This "BLAME TINUBU FOR ALL THE BAD" tactic is getting really old!
You may not have any problem at all with this or any other issues but don't feel it is your place to produce these generic excuses for a government that people already know is competent enough to handle it's issues.

[b]This is why i have a problem with u atimes on here
u live in the USA,u know how things are done. . yet u advocate for the worst policies for Nigeria and Africa

Do u know what contract law means?. . do u know that African countries are perceived as bad for business because they violate legitimate contracts at will?
Do u understand the implications of a new Govt coming in and cancelling all previous valid contracts?

It will never happen in the west. . yet u advocate it for Africa
They say contract law and property rights is the rock on which the west was built

Fashola has awarded more than 180 road contracts since he came into office and he has not tolled any. . not one
The Lagos Badagry express is being built and is not tolled. . . .

u just sit in your cozy america and advocate disruptive policies for Africa
Then moan that things are not working. .

I am not blaming Tinubu as i have told u i have nothing against tolling the road
I just let u know this is a valid contract signed before the current Governor came into office. .

We have at the federal level Yar adua canceling and reviewing contracts
and after 3yrs in office he has nothing to show for it except court cases here and there
Ajaokuta he cancelled is still dormant till today. . others he cancelled were reversed by the courts like the NCC spectrum licences

Pls Nigerians have to understand that we have to portray ourselves as serious,respectful of valid contracts
and purposeful to attract investments into the country. . .That is how serious countries get ahead[/b]
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 4:39pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

This is why i have a problem with u atimes on here
u live in the USA,u know how things are done. . yet u advocate for the worst policies for Nigeria and Africa
Do u know what contract law means?. . do u know that African countries are perceived as bad for business because they violate legitimate contracts at will?
Do u understand the implications of a new Govt coming in and cancelling all previous valid contracts?

It will never happen in the west. . yet u advocate it for Africa
They say contract law and property rights is the rock on which the west was built

I am sorry but it happens even here in the US. Obama did it -- reviewed contracts that were signed under Bush and even cancelled some. Not sure what exactly you are trying to claim here. Even in my state -- contracts are reviewed and some cancelled if there is need to.
I work as a contractor and I know this happens in the west, with Government, and in the private sector. Stop pretending such NEVER happens out here because it does. Simple!
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 4:43pm On May 25, 2010
Also note that this contract was not just signed under tinubu but construction started under tinubu sometime in 2005

The company handling the project got funds from outside the country to execute it under PPP. .
any attempt to violate the valid contracts is a bad sign for investors in lagos and Nigeria

I will rather have a 10 lane road tolled 10times
than no road at all. . .

The lagos badagry express is being built and is not tolled
obviously Fashola does not believe in the tolling,but a valid contract is a valid contract

Anybody living in lekki can afford to pay whatever the toll is. . .this is not ojo,mile 2 or badagry we are talking about
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 4:44pm On May 25, 2010
I am sorry but it happens even here in the US. Obama did it -- reviewed contracts that were signed under Bush and even cancelled some.

Pls name them. . .cause that will/has never happened
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 4:47pm On May 25, 2010
@Kobojunkie

Pls name the contracts Obama cancelled. . .?

Do u remember the outrage about AIG Bonuses. . Did u not hear Obama say nothing can be done about valid legitimate contracts?
were the bonuses not paid?

stop lying to Nigerians please. . .Obama can choose not to renew a contract when it expires
He cannot cancel a valid contract at will. . .
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

Also note that this contract was not just signed under tinubu but construction started under tinubu sometime in 2005
The company handling the project got funds from outside the country to execute it under PPP. .
any attempt to violate the valid contracts is a bad sign for investors in lagos and Nigeria

I will rather have a 10 lane road tolled 10times
than no road at all. . .

The lagos badagry express is being built and is not tolled
obviously Fashola does not believe in the tolling,but a valid contract is a valid contract

Anybody living in lekki can afford to pay whatever the toll is. . .this is not ojo,mile 2 or badagry we are talking about

Again, contracts, regardless of how long they have been going on can be reviewed to ensure success and make any needed changes that may come up. That this contract, according to you, has been under construction since 2005, is reason why I would definitely support a review, and possibly a cancellation because it has been 5 years.
Unless you can definitively tell us that the terms of this particular contract spells out clearly that it cannot be reviewed for changes or cancelled should the state decide it is not necessary or a the contractor is found wanting, I don't know what you are going on about here.
Governments, and even companies can choose, according to terms of contracts, to cancel, review, or renew contracts. It happens in the west, and see no reason why it cannot happen in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On May 25, 2010
Oh Now I am a liar? How convenient for you and your uninformed argument there undecided
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by johnie: 4:54pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

shocked shocked shocked

My Philly friend,

Are you aware that there are many rural fishing settlements in Lekki?
Are you aware that there are many domestic staff living in Lekki?

That statement is sweeping don't you think?
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:02pm On May 25, 2010
Again, contracts, regardless of how long they have been going on can be reviewed to ensure success and make any needed changes that may come up. That this contract, according to you, has been under construction since 2005, is reason why I would definitely support a review, and possibly a cancellation because it has been 5 years.
Unless you can definitively tell us that the terms of this particular contract spells out clearly that it cannot be reviewed for changes or cancelled should the state decide it is not necessary or a the contractor is found wanting, I don't know what you are going on about here.
Governments, and even companies can choose, according to terms of contracts, to cancel, review, or renew contracts. It happens in the west, and see no reason why it cannot happen in Nigeria.

Shows u know nothing about the contract you talk about. .

The contract was signed in 2005.  .and construction of phase one started and completed on time
this is it below

The second and third phase phase was delayed by obasanjo who refused to give clearance for Federal Govt right of way clearance to the contractor
It dragged on till Yar adua came in and gave consent to move NEPA and Federal Govt owned structures in the right of way so construction can continue
so dont sit in America and mouth off about what u dont know. .

And the only time valid million dollar contracts are cancelled in America is if due process was not followed in awarding it
Like the US Army tanker contract that boeing went to court to challenge it being awarded to the europeans
and the court ruled in boeings favor

Nobody just comes in and starts reviewing contracts up and down as if u are in a banana republic
apparently that is what u want for lagos state. . .
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

Nobody just comes in and starts reviewing contracts up and down as if u are in a banana republic
apparently that is what u want for lagos state. . .

So, no REVIEWS at all of contracts, even for that long? You do know what reviews are for, right? By the way, Knowing of the contract is NOT about knowing what work is to be done but the details of the contract and terms included. You are here telling us this contract ought not to be reviewed at all. Do you have proof that this is part of the contract itself? NO review allowed? No Cancellations no matter what? Cause that is what you are telling us here. . . a picture does not validate this claim here.

By the way, Yar adua did review contracts up and down. . . yes, he was even praised for doing exactly that. Not certain why you do not remember that piece, and why this now ONLY happens in banana republic for you.

Again, are you sure you don't know some of the projects obama is credited for cancelling still?
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:09pm On May 25, 2010
Again, are you sure you don't know some of the projects obama is credited for cancelling still?

Pls am all ears. . i have never heard of obama being prised for cancelling any project

He has proposed eliminating waste in the budget,by not re authorizing some discretionary spending
(that is spending that re occurs yearly)

Not a multimillion dollar multi year contract
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by johnie: 5:10pm On May 25, 2010
The people of Lekki are not against tolling. What they are saying it that there should be alternatives for those who cannot afford to pay the toll on the ONLY available road.

Please follow this thread for more information:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367311.96.html#msg5933563

Excerpt:

One of the respondents on Silverbird Television (STV's) vox populi thinks govt is trying to 'smoke out poor' people from the axis!

johnie:

Nigeria: The Risk of Skewed Business Objective - Lekki Road Expansion Project Example

Even after the completion and opening of the bigger and wider Lekki Phase 1 roundabout, the traffic bottleneck at that point has not been eliminated. Add that to the severe traffic jams that continue at Jakande, Chevron and 2nd roundabouts, you begin to wonder how residents will be happy to pay any toll fees under this condition. Traditionally, road users are very willing to pay toll fees when the highway is truly a highway with minimal traffic bottlenecks. Otherwise, inner city routes will do just fine.

Real Objectives: So what really are the main objectives for the project: create wealth on a false premise or create wealth through value-addition to societal needs via problem solving? If the objective is to truly resolve the traffic issues and create a revenue stream as a result, there is nothing really wrong with that.

This is more so if the project is financed through credit or loans. If this is the case, then the project executives would ideally prioritize concept definition and analysis to develop a pragmatic approach that ensures that the problem statement is adequately addressed. Preliminary steps will include identifying all major traffic bottlenecks, root causes and then derive strategies to eliminate or manage them.

The strategy development will consider among other things issues such as; traffic density, alternative routes, traffic intersections, road width, rush hours, traffic disruption during construction, narrowest point on highway etc. These steps must be taken before finalizing any contracts, detailed design and/or construction.

Most times we want to just start, execute and then tackle the problems are they arise. It's a shame really that a project of this size and magnitude, in this day and time can be so poorly conceived and designed.

The good news is that there is still room for correction. Of course, massive change orders may be involved but that's a small price to pay when compared to the associated benefits.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201004130149.html
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

Pls am all ears. . i have never heard of obama being prised for cancelling any project

He has proposed eliminating waste in the budget,by not re authorizing some discretionary spending
(that is spending that re occurs yearly)

Not a multimillion dollar multi year contract

lol . . . Now there are stipulations? It is ok to google for answers, you know?

Dude, I have sort of accepted that you are willing to say all you can to defend the GOVERNOR himself(not the government as a whole or the state), all I ask is that you be REAL in your posts. I leave you to use google to search up, easily by the way, some of the projects that have been cancelled/hence cancelled contracts(with totals in the billions), by the obama administration. Back to the topic please as I think this is unnecessary distraction here unless you can produce the documents that specifically state this contract cannot be reviewed, cancelled or halted for one reason or another.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:22pm On May 25, 2010
Do you have proof that this is part of the contract itself?

The first 2Km ( Starting from Falomo Bridge loop to Exxon Mobil ) of the Lekki Toll Road Concession was completed and commemorated on April 2008. Also Traffic lights have been installed at 4 major intersections along this part of the road

The next phase of our construction includes

Revamping of the Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue from Falomo Bridge Loop intersection westbound towards Oceanic Bank Corporate Office ( KM 0 - 145 ) .
Expansion of the Exxon - Mobil bridge from 4 lanes to 6 lanes.
Construction of the new 2km 6 lane carriageway and 22 lane tolling booths and Toll Plaza 1 between  Exxon Mobil and Lekki 1st roundabout .
Construction of a ramp   starting at Caverton Helicopters on Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue  directly onto Falomo Bridge to ease up the bottleneck at Adeyemo Alakija Street ( Law School ) intersection .
Clearing of site and earthworks at Toll Plaza 2 after Chevron roundabout

http://www.lcc.com.ng/Projects/Faq.aspx?l=11&p=5&pixType=1

The Above is from Lekki construction company website. . .the picture i showed u is the first 2km that has been completed and commisioned
Obasanjo delayed the rest of this project for more than 3yrs. . thats why i ask u to know what u talk about
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:28pm On May 25, 2010
lol . . . Now there are stipulations? It is ok to google for answers, you know?

U just like to act dumb sometimes. . .

If i have a contract i have to renew every yr. .of course i can choose not to renew it next yr
Things like congressional earmarks are yearly events that Obama wants to cut out of the budget

But if i have a 5yr already signed valid contract,there is no way it can be cancelled
because i have sourced for funds to build,and hired people. . If u cancel my contract i will sue u for lost wages and breach of contract
u know that,stop trying to confuse Nigerians please
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On May 25, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!! WOW
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:32pm On May 25, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!! WOW
if u like roll on the floor and hit your head. . .

Just name the so-called contracts obama cancelled u cant name one. .
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:34pm On May 25, 2010
The people of Lekki are not against tolling. What they are saying it that there should be alternatives for those who cannot afford to pay the toll on the ONLY available road.

and i would love to be able to afford a home in Lekki. . .u see life is not fair
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by indie22(f): 5:37pm On May 25, 2010
For crying out loud, no one is saying " do not toll the lekki epe expressway", but why three tolls in an area that is predominantly residential? Or is it because pple in lekki are seen to be well off and comfortable and will pay regardless, 

And as for saying "people living in lekki can afford to pay whatever the toll is, well not everyone living in lekki is a millionaire, trust me there are still some parts of lekki/ ajah that have face-me-i-face-us and are worse than okokomaiko!

It seems as if people think lekki and automatically think phase 1, femi okunnu, vgc and northern foreshore (chevron estate), forgetting that there's not so posh areas in lekki and ajah and they are also affected by the toll points.
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by paddylo1(m): 5:45pm On May 25, 2010
For crying out loud, no one is saying " do not toll the lekki epe expressway", but why three tolls in an area that is predominantly residential? Or is it because pple in lekki are seen to be well off and comfortable and will pay regardless, 

And as for saying "people living in lekki can afford to pay whatever the toll is, well not everyone living in lekki is a millionaire, trust me there are still some parts of lekki/ ajah that have face-me-i-face-us and are worse than okokomaiko!

It seems as if people think lekki and automatically think phase 1, femi okunnu, vgc and northern foreshore (chevron estate), forgetting that there's not so posh areas in lekki and ajah and they are also affected by the toll points.

My dear this is a 50km long road. . .do u know how long 50kms is?
u can blow at top speed of 50km/hr and it will still take u close to an hour to traverse the whole length
Lekki is not just a residential area,its commercial and has many companies,hotels,oil companies and banks opening up in that axis

also if u have any sense u will know that not everyone will be affected by the 3 tolls
as u may just need to pass one toll to reach your house
Re: Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road by doyin13(m): 5:47pm On May 25, 2010
paddy_lo:

[color=#000099][b]if u like roll on the floor and hit your head. . .

grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Threatens To Attack Govt Buildings In Abuja &19 Northern States / Nigeria Endorsed To Be Member Of UN Security Council - The Guardian / Breaking News: "After The Election Wey Dem Dey" Crooner Arrested (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.